Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, normasm said:

"Meatloaf Head" is the B side of "The Pear of Anguish," a special Halloween drop from Spencer!HoldMyEarrings!

Just Googled The Pear of Anguish. Now I will have nightmares for days. Thanks Normasm. 

• Love 1

You don't remember in (I think it was) Limelight Prentiss holding it up and asking what it was, and Reid naming it? The look on her face afterwards goes down in the annals (let me be careful with the spelling) of CM...

• Love 4

Home from church bc I have been procrastinating on a big assignment due tomorrow, so I'm making it worse by getting online just for a minute, and I saw that CM is on A&E, so I thought I should take a peek.  It's 4.21, "A Shade of Gray" -- I honestly don't think I've ever seen it.  How on earth did I miss a season 4 episode?!?  None of it is ringing a bell.

I like it!

• Love 4

Ohmigosh, it's excellent.  And a true twist with a compelling story.  The kid is straight up evil!  Man, those were the days.  "The Big Wheel" is next.  I think I can watch it and organize my material at the same time -- I'm certainly gonna stop after that, bc they're showing "What Happens at Home," and I don't care about seeing that one.

• Love 2

This was the episode that some of us speculated was a veiled portrayal of Jon Benet Ramsey's brother Burke, positing that he killed her in a fit of rage and the parents covered it up. I never liked the episode, but the one scene where Emily realizes what the kid did is pretty chilling. And Hotch was pretty good, too.

• Love 6

I can see where people would make the JonBenet connection.  If I had seen it when it aired, I might have thought it didn't measure up in what I consider an absolutely stellar season, but compared to now?  A masterpiece.

There were a couple of things I thought were pretty contrived, but I didn't feel like anyone hogged the screen, and I legit considered four different people before I realized the kid did it (however, that could be because I am dense).  I did think Emily's scenes with him were great.

Hotch was awesome.  Can I just tell you, I adore his cowlick.  I could probably write a paragraph on what it contributes to the character.  And I was fondly reminded that the lovely Spencer used to contribute valuable insight and uncover pertinent facts, before he was relegated to a fact-spouting caricature of himself.

Also, I did re-watch "The Big Wheel" immediately afterward.  That ep was rife with Unsub from beginning to end, but I thought it was fantastic.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 4

I love The Big Wheel. The young actor who plays Stanley was incredible, and Alex O'Laughlin was terrific as Vincent. He wasn't over-emotive, and the way he made normal tasks (like making a sandwich) seem so creepy was just so subtle and effective. 

The scene where he stuffed bread in his open bullet wound was remarkable in that here he was, a grown functioning adult, but he didn't know that wouldn't be a good idea? That one thing spoke to his crazy a lot more to me than stabbing that real estate woman, or killing his nosy co-worker. 

I also liked how he seemed really conflicted about that one. He did not want to kill his co-worker, but I couldn't tell you how I know that. Again, subtlety was on display in his acting choices. 

I've also heard this is Simon Mirren's favorite episode, of those he wrote. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Droogie said:

Home from church bc I have been procrastinating on a big assignment due tomorrow, so I'm making it worse by getting online just for a minute, and I saw that CM is on A&E, so I thought I should take a peek.  It's 4.21, "A Shade of Gray" -- I honestly don't think I've ever seen it.  How on earth did I miss a season 4 episode?!?  None of it is ringing a bell.

I like it!

I know I have seen all of them, but some only once or twice long time ago. It's a refreshing feeling watch those again, not remembering what's going to happen.

I like this one (if only for Hotch). I saw the post maternity leave episodes recently and this is one of the first supermom episodes (4x14, 4x19, 4x21, 4x24).

Edited by smoker
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Droogie said:

Ohmigosh, it's excellent.  And a true twist with a compelling story.  The kid is straight up evil!  Man, those were the days.  "The Big Wheel" is next.  I think I can watch it and organize my material at the same time -- I'm certainly gonna stop after that, bc they're showing "What Happens at Home," and I don't care about seeing that one.

Yep, an episode where you can't fully explain why someone is evil; he was just evil! And the fact he was a child just made it more horrific.

2 hours ago, Franky said:

I love The Big Wheel. The young actor who plays Stanley was incredible, and Alex O'Laughlin was terrific as Vincent. He wasn't over-emotive, and the way he made normal tasks (like making a sandwich) seem so creepy was just so subtle and effective. 

The scene where he stuffed bread in his open bullet wound was remarkable in that here he was, a grown functioning adult, but he didn't know that wouldn't be a good idea? That one thing spoke to his crazy a lot more to me than stabbing that real estate woman, or killing his nosy co-worker. 

I also liked how he seemed really conflicted about that one. He did not want to kill his co-worker, but I couldn't tell you how I know that. Again, subtlety was on display in his acting choices. 

I've also heard this is Simon Mirren's favorite episode, of those he wrote. 

I agree; subtlety can be more chilling and frighten you more than blatant violence and gore. And I thought O'Laughlin was amazing in the role. He blew me away!

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 2
On November 6, 2016 at 0:02 PM, Franky said:

I thought this might have been his idea of what a breast poultice is - which are still occasionally used among the elder generation.

Of course, I should've recognized that's what you meant.

I guess I just thought it weird him sticking wads of bread in his wound. Not really a poultice and the logic behind that was never really explained. Seemed like something a crazy person would do. Oh, those nutty unsubs. 

Still, I was interested, as unsubs go, Vincent was unique. Yet it was one of the creepier episodes because he actually befriended the child and interacted with him for years. Would he have eventually killed Stanley? We'll never know, but I was glad the BAU got there when they did. Poor Stanley, though. 

I wonder what he'd be like now. Did he get help and move past it? That would be a cool story.

1 hour ago, ReidFan said:

oh that's just awful. Roxy should bite the hand that gave her that crap! :D

When my sister and I were in middle-school, we put a bra on our cat. Needless to say, the cat was not thrilled. However, I did think it was funny that this cat filled out a bra better than my sister did (and still does).

On-topic: I picked out the pic because the get-up kind of resembled Garcia-blonde hair, glasses, sweater, bling, etc. And then I realized, "Wait! No kitty ears!"

• Love 1

I need some linguistic help, please. 

I just checked MGG's instagram/twitter (I do it from time to time) and yesterday he posted a short video from Elliot's Pond,with these words: 

"after directing 10 episodes I finally found a way to sneak a star-fade into criminal minds"

I have been looking in several dictionaries and I can't find "star-fade" anywhere, I don't understand it and I'm feeling frustrated. Can anyone help me? 

Note: I didn't know where to post this, I hope this is the correct place.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, senin said:

I need some linguistic help, please. 

I just checked MGG's instagram/twitter (I do it from time to time) and yesterday he posted a short video from Elliot's Pond,with these words: 

"after directing 10 episodes I finally found a way to sneak a star-fade into criminal minds"

I have been looking in several dictionaries and I can't find "star-fade" anywhere, I don't understand it and I'm feeling frustrated. Can anyone help me? 

Note: I didn't know where to post this, I hope this is the correct place.

I wasn't familiar with it either, Senin, until he gave the context.  If you look at the scene in Elliot's Pond where they are watching the 'movie' the kids had made on a cell phone, they use a star figure to fade from one scene into the next.  Hence, a 'star-fade'.

• Love 3
On 11/20/2016 at 7:29 AM, JMO said:

I wasn't familiar with it either, Senin, until he gave the context.  If you look at the scene in Elliot's Pond where they are watching the 'movie' the kids had made on a cell phone, they use a star figure to fade from one scene into the next.  Hence, a 'star-fade'.

the movie the kids made on a cell phone.....which *Matthew* made on his iPhone :)

• Love 2
18 hours ago, smoker said:

@senin,  when has Garcia's Spanish voice changed?

I watched the end of season 12 premiere and I am speechless, the new voice sounds horrible ?

I usually watch in English, so their voices in Spanish always sound "weird" to me. But I have checked with an episode from season 6, another from season 11 and Keeper, from season 12. And, yes, the voice actor for García is a different one, and her voice is not very nice. It's kind of squeaky , I don't know how to define it, but I don't ike it, 

18 hours ago, ReidFan said:

the movie the kids made on a cell phone.....which *Matthew* made on his iPhone :)

When I saw these kids, making movies, and having "adventures" I thought that Matthew must have been similar to them in some aspects!! 

• Love 4
On 11/6/2016 at 0:33 PM, normasm said:

This was the episode that some of us speculated was a veiled portrayal of Jon Benet Ramsey's brother Burke, positing that he killed her in a fit of rage and the parents covered it up. I never liked the episode, but the one scene where Emily realizes what the kid did is pretty chilling. And Hotch was pretty good, too.

I don't really like this episode, either, and I think it's just because I hate seeing kids hurt or killed. The killer kid being so cold and not even caring that his brother is dead is so chilling. To me it's worse than the killer kid in The Boogeyman. Maybe it's because I could tell that kid was acting, but the kid in A Shade of Gray  just exuded coldness. 

• Love 1

I've bought a couple of seasons on amazon US. Spanish versions are edited since season 7, they bring less special features :(

Anyway, just in case someone is interested, season 10 is the cheapest now.

Edited by smoker

WTF! Did you guys see that @Crims_CBS which is the official twitter account for CM has changed their heading. I saw it and I am absolutely livid. Now I don't give a damn if it is only temporary for the holidays I still don't like it one bit.

All I can see is that I hope it is a case that they will be changing out the heading with different pictures thru out the holiday season.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, MMC said:

WTF! Did you guys see that @Crims_CBS which is the official twitter account for CM has changed their heading. I saw it and I am absolutely livid. Now I don't give a damn if it is only temporary for the holidays I still don't like it one bit.

All I can see is that I hope it is a case that they will be changing out the heading with different pictures thru out the holiday season.

Livid, huh? Well hopefully theyll be rotating cute cast pics throughout the holidays. Maybe we'll even get a solo Reid pic!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

yeah, no kidding. It's been the same photo since I started paying attention about a year ago....and NOW they change it? To freakin' Garcia and Alvez. Seriously?!

I just checked and they also removed the team's picture from CM's official FB page and replaced it with the same picture of just those 2.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MMC said:

I just checked and they also removed the team's picture from CM's official FB page and replaced it with the same picture of just those 2.

They are certainly touting KV as flavour of the month to please all the FB kiddies! The more they push her, the more irritating she becomes though.

I dislike those new headers also MMC.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

They are certainly touting KV as flavour of the month to please all the FB kiddies! The more they push her, the more irritating she becomes though.

I dislike those new headers also MMC.

Old dog I am just plain getting sick of Garcia. One of the worse decision they made was not putting JJ back in her role as the media liaison, including being the one to present the cases, when they asked AJC to come back. Of course I will admit I started liking Garcia a lot less ever since it was decided that she was on the same level of genius that Reid was, to which I call total BS.

I do so miss the days when it was the profilers and the profiling that was prominent in the show. And not all these other BS such as Garcia and her so called magic computer, as well as the heavy emphasis that EM and her writers decided to put on the unsubs themselves.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, MMC said:

Old dog I am just plain getting sick of Garcia. One of the worse decision they made was not putting JJ back in her role as the media liaison, including being the one to present the cases, when they asked AJC to come back. Of course I will admit I started liking Garcia a lot less ever since it was decided that she was on the same level of genius that Reid was, to which I call total BS.

I do so miss the days when it was the profilers and the profiling that was prominent in the show. And not all these other BS such as Garcia and her so called magic computer, as well as the heavy emphasis that EM and her writers decided to put on the unsubs themselves.

You just summed up what I'm thinking in this post. Thank you.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, MMC said:

Garcia is a genius, you can't compare her genius with Reid's, they are completely different and highlighting either of their amazing minds never diminishes the other. 

Guys, we have to remain positive, at least she is dressed properly LOL

I do agree with you @MMC @Old Dog, I even understand they're still promoting AR, but why not everybody?

I'm a lot bigger than KV (moreover, she is slimmer these days), and I can't talk for others, but you can believe me when I say my dislike of her got nothing to do with her size and there is nothing I would love more than someone who doesn't seem a top model getting relevant. But when I watch Garcia I only see her ridiculous clothes and stupid behavior and the worse thing is they let KV infect the character with her personal style. And of course she's very smart, but she was never a genius.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, MsJayTee said:

Garcia is a genius, you can't compare her genius with Reid's, they are completely different and highlighting either of their amazing minds never diminishes the other. 

If only this was true.

Her magic computer (I can't even call this genius) is often used in such a way that it negates any need for the team (including Reid) to do any actual profiling, while Reid is relegating to spouting (occasionally incorrect) 'facts' from Wikipedia.

• Love 10

My dislike of Garcia also has nothing to do with her size. I watch old episodes of CM, and she was smartly written, I enjoyed her. She didn't dress as ridiculously as nowadays and in recent past. But now she is beyond infantile. I loved KV's first effort at writing, Nelson's Sparrow, but only the parts that did not focus on the Unsub. The Unsub part is and will be unwatchable to me, and if KV wrote those parts, it makes me queasy.

Garcia is certainly smart and savvy, but saying she's a genius and, say, Hotch is not? Nah. Reid is a certified genius, far above the rest in intellect, and to try to put Garcia up there with him is insulting to both characters. And that's certainly not to say Reid is the only smart person, or skilled person there on the team. Just that he's the genius. Period.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, normasm said:

My dislike of Garcia also has nothing to do with her size. I watch old episodes of CM, and she was smartly written, I enjoyed her. She didn't dress as ridiculously as nowadays and in recent past. But now she is beyond infantile. I loved KV's first effort at writing, Nelson's Sparrow, but only the parts that did not focus on the Unsub. The Unsub part is and will be unwatchable to me, and if KV wrote those parts, it makes me queasy.

Garcia is certainly smart and savvy, but saying she's a genius and, say, Hotch is not? Nah. Reid is a certified genius, far above the rest in intellect, and to try to put Garcia up there with him is insulting to both characters. And that's certainly not to say Reid is the only smart person, or skilled person there on the team. Just that he's the genius. Period.

Yes, to all of this. Garcia was an interesting character before she lost her snark and her maturity. Then she became a caricature. And I would be much more impressed with her computer skills if she had to work at figuring out how to get information.  It could even heighten the suspense of a case, if she had to struggle to find just the right algorithm. As it is too often written, her cyber sleuthing is just too improbable to be interesting. 

• Love 9