Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Lebanna said:

Since the Beyond Borders topic is pretty dead and I know there are people over here who can read Spanish - here's a rather despairing eye-roll of a  review in Spanish from El País of the Pamplona set episode of CM:BB:  http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2017/01/06/television/1483721250_765173.html

Sadly, I think it pretty well sums up my thoughts on that entire show. (Although, to be fair to the show, I originally come from a land where we were so clever as to have given ourselves a deadly brain disease by feeding dead cows to other cows and then making the diseased result into hamburgers and feeding them to children. So bovines can actually consume animal products, but not quite in the form the show would have you believe.)

thanks for the post, I'm speechless.

I didn't watch the show or that episode. Actually, I watched 10 minutes one day, I was channel surfing and I saw it. I was curious...

They were in Asia I think. It was as offensive as this one. How this show got a pass is beyond my understanding.

• Love 3

well I admit I like Emily being in charge but..... if they did away with the two new guys and kept Emily, I would probably have warmed to the idea of Gary Sinise's character coming in to take over for Hotch. I like him. But I'm not sure I'd want them to mess any more with the regular cast at this point...

• Love 2

Gary Sinise always will be Lt. Dan to me. I can't help it.

I don't care anymore (as a viewer), but if they recycle someone, better Sinise's character than Monty. I can't talk about women, I barely remember them and the muscle guy is just a standard.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 3

I like Gary Sinise a lot. He would have been the one reason I might have started to watch the show. Were it not for the fact there was just too many things about it that I did not care for. I had read some where that NCIS finally decided to get rid of a couple of characters that they had added. CM should be so lucky.

Sometimes I wish I was more of an SVU fans. As I understand it they only have 5 in their main cast and that cast is actually the main focus of the show. I don't believe they have ever had to play second fiddle to their guest stars.

I do have one or two questions for those who have seen more than one episode of CM:BB. How did the profiling on that show compared to that of the mothership? And could it possibly benefit from having some of those writers from the spin off bought on board?

As a SVU fan, I can attest that the cast is usually pretty small (and probably for budget reasons, the entire cast rarely is in every episode together), and there are limited scenes with JUST the guest stars. That is one of my chief complaints about current day Criminal Minds: that the story is told through the eyes of the guest stars rather than the main cast. And it is basically the only ensemble show that does it on a regular basis. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, MMC said:

I like Gary Sinise a lot. He would have been the one reason I might have started to watch the show. Were it not for the fact there was just too many things about it that I did not care for. I had read some where that NCIS finally decided to get rid of a couple of characters that they had added. CM should be so lucky.

Sometimes I wish I was more of an SVU fans. As I understand it they only have 5 in their main cast and that cast is actually the main focus of the show. I don't believe they have ever had to play second fiddle to their guest stars.

I do have one or two questions for those who have seen more than one episode of CM:BB. How did the profiling on that show compared to that of the mothership? And could it possibly benefit from having some of those writers from the spin off bought on board?

That's a smart move in my opinion.

Don't forget who is the head of CM:BB. Sadly, Erica Messer doesn't give a shit about profiling and quality.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, smoker said:

That's a smart move in my opinion.

Don't forget who is the head of CM:BB. Sadly, Erica Messer doesn't give a shit about profiling and quality.

Good Point about Messer. I had originally wanted that spin off to be a success even if I didn't plan on watching it myself. Because I had hoped that she would have broken all ties to the mothership and go be with the spin off full time. I saw it as a way of CM finally getting a new and hopefully better show runner. One that would have restore the show's quality of writing from season 1-4 or even 5 for that matter. Or at least come close to it.

Now as far as the profiling itself, in many ways I blame Jim Clemente as much as I do Erica Messer if not more when it comes to the profiling itself. He is a former profiler himself who was not only hired as a writer but also as a consultant for the show. Yeah he has been doing a great job. NOT!

But than again when Clemente made excuses for that joke of an episode known as 200 I pretty much came to the conclusion that he no longer seemed to gave a damn in helping the show maintain some sense of reality.

• Love 7

Why would the show got rid of Adam Rodriguez or Damon Gupton for Gary Sinise? They're way better actors, Sinise is mediocre at best.

Of course they could get rid of what's his face that plays Reid, I think 12 years is a good run without any acting ability. 

I haven't heard of NCIS getting rid of any of the new characters, that would be one less show for me to watch if they do. 

I'm all for hate watching, sometimes it's fun. But it does seem that even hate watching isn't fun for some of you guys. I mean when the show was getting bad for me I switched off. I came back when they hired one of my favourite actresses (Aisha Tyler), and this season they brought back another favourite and added two actors I like. (Paget Brewster, Damon Gupton, and Adam Rodriguez) they revitalised the show for me. 

I could talk long about why I think this show hires incompetent people in every front (writers and actors) and lets some actors do as they please.

Damon Gupton seems an interesting actor, but give him time... I've read he is taking over Hotch's friendship with Rossi. Of course he is a profiling prodigy, because every agent who has shared a coffee with Bestselling Rossi is a wonder (good amount of irony here), I don't know what you think, but the old Rossi never looked like a generous teacher to me. Moreover, I've always missed some diversty, like Max Ryan; or some cases where their skills aren't useful or are unfocused, like season 5 Hopeless.

• I don't like AR or SM, neither phisically nor as actors. I don't like JM either, he is really mediocre IMO.
  • JT, JLH and AT's characters are insignificant to me, at least JT looked like a federal agent, but I never felt any empathy for her character.
  • I hate KV's histrionics. AJ Cook was better when she was a secondary character.
  • Lately, TG/Hotch vanished suddenly without any logic and overused the stern look where a serious face was enough, especially when he was around just a few minutes. The lack of logic was a writing problem, but the stern look abuse lands on TG.
  • MGG and PB are also OOC most of the time nowadays.

I hate it  when actors infect their characters with their own persona. It's like a cancer for the show, any show. One thing is evolution and another brainwashing.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, smoker said:

I could talk long about why I think this show hires incompetent people in every front (writers and actors) and lets some actors do as they please.

Damon Gupton seems an interesting actor, but give him time... I've read he is taking over Hotch's friendship with Rossi. Of course he is a profiling prodigy, because every agent who has shared a coffee with Bestselling Rossi is a wonder (good amount of irony here). I've always missed some diversty, like Max Ryan; or some cases where their skills aren't useful or are unfocused, like season 5 Hopeless.

• I don't like AR or SM, neither phisically nor as actors. I don't like JM either, he is really mediocre IMO.
  • JT, JLH and AT's characters are insignificant to me, at least JT looked like a federal agent, but I never felt any empathy for her character.
  • I hate KV's histrionics. AJ Cook was better when she was a secondary character.
  • Lately, TG/Hotch vanished suddenly without any logic and overused the stern look where a serious face was enough, especially when he was around just a few minutes. The lack of logic was a writing problem, but the stern look abuse lands on TG.
  • MGG and PB are also OOC most of the time nowadays.

I hate it  when actors infect their characters with their own persona. It's like a cancer for the show, any show. One thing is evolution and another brainwashing.

Those are some very good points you have made. And like you I put the blame somewhat on the people who play them for what has happened to some of these characters. However I also put a great deal of blame on Erica Messer herself in fact even more so. Because imo a better show runner would have taken into consideration what it would do to the character as well as the show in general and then act accordingly.

And I also agree about Hotch. I think the idea was that he had become more somber since the murder of Hayley. But in many ways it sort of ruined the character for me. Which is why a big part of me wishes that they had never gone that route of killing Hayley. I missed the Hotch who, although he was a very serious man, was also capable of those lighthearted moments. Like the time he had admonished Reid about his Physics Magic. But then Hotch gets this grin on his face and you knew right then and there that he was proud of Reid's accomplishment.

ETA: OOPS I almost failed to mention the part these writers play in all of this. Like when they give a character a story line that seems to make no sense in light of said characters' previous canon history such as that ridiculous physical fitness story line Virgil gave Reid and Garcia in his episode Rabid. As a huge Reid fan it was immensely insulting to me the implication that Garcia was in better physical condition then Reid was and could actually outrun him. And It was awfully hard for me to be able to buy that BS that Reid wouldn't have known that he could have opted out of taking that physical fitness test. Or for that matter Garcia not being aware of the fact that since she wasn't a field agent she wouldn't be required to take the so called physical fitness test. But hey a bet you that KV and MGG had loads of fun doing it.

Edited by MMC
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, MsJayTee said:

Why would the show got rid of Adam Rodriguez or Damon Gupton for Gary Sinise? They're way better actors, Sinise is mediocre at best.

Of course they could get rid of what's his face that plays Reid, I think 12 years is a good run without any acting ability. 

Might I suggest you watch Forrest Gump to see Sinise in one of the best roles of his career, he was nominated for an Oscar for playing Lieutenant Dan and while I can't yet tell about Gupton, I disagree that Adam R is a better actor than Sinise. I will say that I never watched him on any other procedural, but he was wooden AF on Beyond Boring, though. 

Matthew, however. I'll fight ya on this one. ;) Watching him improve his acting ability over the years has been a delight, and a revelation. He started out a little green and wobbly, but quickly developed Reid into someone believeable, relatable, and endlessly interesting, to me. Riveting, even.

In his other roles, we've seen him develop his comedic chops, his timing, and the wonderful grace notes he brings all on his own. With his incredibly expressive face, watching him rein it in and see his level of control improve has been impressive. While I wouldn't quite give him the Anthony Hopkins award for subtlety, I think what he's shown us so far has been exceptional and I look forward to watching everything he offers, in perpetuity.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, MMC said:

Those are some very good points you have made. And like you I put the blame somewhat on the people who play them for what has happened to some of these characters. However I also put a great deal of blame on Erica Messer herself in fact even more so. Because imo a better show runner would have taken into consideration what it would do to the character as well as the show in general and then act accordingly.

And I also agree about Hotch. I think the idea was that he had become more somber since the murder of Hayley. But in many ways it sort of ruined the character for me. Which is why a big part of me wishes that they had never gone that route of killing Hayley. I missed the Hotch who, although he was a very serious man, was also capable of those lighthearted moments. Like the time he had admonished Reid about his Physics Magic. But then Hotch gets this grin on his face and you knew right then and there that he was proud of Reid's accomplishment.

ETA: OOPS I almost failed to mention the part these writers play in all of this. Like when they give a character a story line that seems to make no sense in light of said characters' previous canon history such as that ridiculous physical fitness story line Virgil gave Reid and Garcia in his episode Rabid. As a huge Reid fan it was immensely insulting to me the implication that Garcia was in better physical condition then Reid was and could actually outrun him. And It was awfully hard for me to be able to buy that BS that Reid wouldn't have known that he could have opted out of taking that physical fitness test. Or for that matter Garcia not being aware of the fact that since she wasn't a field agent she wouldn't be required to take the so called physical fitness test. But hey a bet you that KV and MGG had loads of fun doing it.

You're right about Messer, she is sorrounded by a group of ineffective writers, but she's hired them and gives them orders. And she didn't fire whoever was casting secondary actors in season 11. I was embarrased watching some of the episodes. Not to mention that half of the cast are her friends and nepotism is sacred in this show.

About Hotch... I have a different timeline for the character. My complain is that he used his angry face more often than he should in last seasons. He has always been serious, as you have said, but with a hint of worried or angry when it was needed. Rewatching, I've noticed some scenes where Hotch should be serious or worried, but TG played an angry face. Usually in episodes where he didn't have much to do.

Obviously, I miss seasons 1 and 2 Hotch, but he was already sad after his divorce in season 3, so I didn't see a big difference between his attitude before and after Hayley's death. By the way, I would have preferred that Hayley was alive too, but that's a comment for another thread ;D

Edited by smoker
  • Love 4

I adored Hotch.  I think he was stoic and honorable and felt as though the weight of the world was on his shoulders.  And as Reid is my favorite character, it was always dear to me, how Hotch never left him hanging, never mocked/ridiculed him and was always there with a hand to his shoulder.  Reid clearly loved and respected Hotch, and it was returned in kind.  Yet another thing I blame on EM/the newer batch of writers, that they squandered this wonderful character and relationship.  And the character of Spencer Reid has been so poorly written (with a few notable exceptions) since season 5 -- what a waste.  I will always adore seasons 1-4/5 for my Reid and my Hotch. 

But there is no one like Spencer on television, and he wouldn't be as beloved/lovable if Matthew Gray Gubler hadn't infused him with his sparkle and warmth.

• Love 12

I'm the only person I know who hates the movie Forrest Gump. Dreadful film. I did watch all 9 season of CSI: NY and Mack has two facial expressions the entire time. 

Why would it be wrong to suggest Garcia is in better shape than Reid? I know as a society we tend to think thinner equals healthier but it's often not true. I think Reid would be the type to eat crap and not look after himself, especially since he grew up with no-one showing him to do that, I'm not sure if that's my head canon or we've seen evidence of it in the show. Often women who are bigger actually have healthy lifestyles because they're aware if they don't it will affect their weight. Don't get me wrong the opposite could also be true, and I didn't see the episode and I completely believe it could be terribly done. 

I can think of at least three characters on CBS alone like Spencer. Geeky white boy genius is bordering on an overused trope. Having said that 12 years ago it wasn't so when Spencer was created he was out of the ordinary. 

11 hours ago, MsJayTee said:

I can think of at least three characters on CBS alone like Spencer. Geeky white boy genius is bordering on an overused trope. Having said that 12 years ago it wasn't so when Spencer was created he was out of the ordinary. 

I can only think of Sheldon from TBBT on CBS.

There used to be Mr. Universe from Serenity on Numbers... was that a CBS show? And that cutie from Suits with the photographic memory, but he's TBS or USA. Regardless of the shows, I get what you're saying about the geek trope, but Spencer isn't like any of those others. Matthew has said he's always been determined that Reid wouldn't be the "typical geek", and to me, he's succeeded.

I also must disagree with you re: Forrest Gump. I feel it's a modern masterpiece (Alan Silvestri's brilliant score and the soundtrack are fantastic), and far better than the book, and I never think movies are better than the book. Winston Groom's Forrest was a crude, lumbering, sexually deviant dolt. I much preferred Tom Hanks' sweet/kind/heartfelt performance.

• Love 2

Well, Scorpion is about a team of Reids...and there was Pure Genius.

So I'd have to agree the "genius" is overused. Having said that, I think Matthew Gray Gubler does a fantastic job making Reid human, though I admit mileage will vary there.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Looks like Spencer is in trouble. ;)

Thanks goodness he knows how to get out of trouble if he listens to the wise words of singing icon, the late Nina Simon.

There I go again, acting like a total trollop, something this little innocent flower never was until I discovered this place.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 3

Greetings, CM fans!

I'm Fashionista7 and I happen to be a BIG fan of CM!!

PS: I'm also a HUGE fan of MGG! He's one of the main reasons I watch CM!

If you want to know more about me, you can view my profile on CriminalMindsWikia: http://criminalminds.wikia.com/wiki/User:Fashionable101 and my profile on FanFiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3607041/Fashionista7.

Thank you and Happy Saturday and weekend, my CM nerds!

• Love 2

Welcome aboard Fashionista. Glad to hear you are a fellow MGG/Reid fan. I'd like to say that like you he is the main reason I watch CM.

But truth be told he is the only reason I watch the show these days

Edited by MMC
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, MMC said:

Welcome aboard Fashionista. Glad to hear you are a fellow MGG/Reid fan. I'd like to say that like you he is the main reason I watch CM.

But truth be told he is the only reason I watch the show these days

pretty much x2

• Love 4

Welcome, Fashionista7! Please enjoy your stay at PTV-CM Unit. Enjoy the song stylings of our house band, Spencer, Hold My Earrings. Grab a libation from our open bar and enjoy some tasty nibbles. And please let us know how you came to calling yourself Fashionista7! I love fashion and style myself, so I'd love to learn more.

I discovered CM when I accidentally caught a marathon on ION. It was during CM's earlier seasons, or what I like to call, "Little Black Dress and Three-Strand Pearls" years. Both the plots and characters intrigued me and had me spellbound, but one character really got me under my skin-Dr. Spencer Reid. Sure it Matthew's looks (#ratbastard) that grabbed me first-I'm not made of stone, after all! But it didn't take me long to admire him as an actor and later, as a director. Matthew's talent and personality gave Spencer a certain warmth, empathy and somewhat dorky sweetness that is often not found in genius like characters. 

I became hooked on CM and was so grateful to find this place after nearly drowning in a the swamp of swill that is various CM-related social media. PTV-CM unit is made up of smart, kind, funny individuals with intriguing and thoughtful ideas, opinions and personalities.

I really think you're going to like it here!

1 hour ago, Old Dog said:

Quadruplo!! If that's a word!

It's Spencer, Hold My Earrings latest hit!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Fashionista7 said:

Greetings, CM fans!

I'm Fashionista7 and I happen to be a BIG fan of CM!!

PS: I'm also a HUGE fan of MGG! He's one of the main reasons I watch CM!

If you want to know more about me, you can view my profile on CriminalMindsWikia: http://criminalminds.wikia.com/wiki/User:Fashionable101 and my profile on FanFiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3607041/Fashionista7.

Thank you and Happy Saturday and weekend, my CM nerds!

Welcome to the forum!

• Love 1

Thank you all!

I've came to the name Fashionista because of my love for fashion, especially designer brands and stuff.

I came to Criminal Minds, I believe, during an ION marathon with Seven Seconds, episode 5 of Season 3 or either with Season 8 with the you-know-what story line. I don't really remember, but nevertheless, it was one of the BEST decisions ever. I came to the show with Season 10; I did catch up with the rest of the show. Whenever the new eppys were on, I would watch them between SVU. Now these days, I rarely watch the new eppys of SVU.

I truly believe MGG makes Dr. Spencer Reid come alive with his talents; he--other than Thomas Gibson, who will be missed--stands out from the cast. DAMN SHAME he has not been nominated for some awards for his acting and directing, especially the Golden Globes, (Primetime) Emmys, Screen Actors Guild, Critics' Choices, Directors Guild and such! I get sick and tired of seeing some of the same people be nominated almost every year. Why can't they bring some fresh, new nominees?

PLUS, he is TRES handsome, unique and DELICIOUS!!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Fashionista7 said:

Thank you all!

I've came to the name Fashionista because of my love for fashion, especially designer brands and stuff.

I came to Criminal Minds, I believe, during an ION marathon with Seven Seconds, episode 5 of Season 3 or either with Season 8 with the you-know-what story line. I don't really remember, but nevertheless, it was one of the BEST decisions ever. I came to the show with Season 10; I did catch up with the rest of the show. Whenever the new eppys were on, I would watch them between SVU. Now these days, I rarely watch the new eppys of SVU.

I truly believe MGG makes Dr. Spencer Reid come alive with his talents; he--other than Thomas Gibson, who will be missed--stands out from the cast. DAMN SHAME he has not been nominated for some awards for his acting and directing, especially the Golden Globes, (Primetime) Emmys, Screen Actors Guild, Critics' Choices, Directors Guild and such! I get sick and tired of seeing some of the same people be nominated almost every year. Why can't they bring some fresh, new nominees?

PLUS, he is TRES handsome, unique and DELICIOUS!!

You may enjoy the Spencer Reid thread here, down a few threads. Has lots of goodies.

• Love 1

Why don't they restrict the voting to one vote per person? When you know there are manic fans just voting thousands of times incessantly for weeks (not you Riff!) and probably bots as well it removes all the validity from the awards.

• Love 3

Mary Tyler Moore was an amazing woman. I love her Mary Richards most because I grew up on her, a role model for a little girl coming of age in liberated times. She was direct, but never coarse. Kind, gorgeous, and hella good at her job. She was a loyal, caring friend, and a true softy at heart, but not a pushover. Mary, both the fictional and the real, was an idol of mine, and a true and accurate portrayal of a modern woman, whatever that actually means. 

She truly turned the world on with her smile. 

• Love 3

Adam Rodriguez has given another interview. And all I can say is that TPTB seriously needs to tell him to "Shut The Fuck Up" Because imo what he said in that interview helped to validate in the eyes of those who embrace such a notion that TG probably was conspired against and gotten rid of so that they could move Paget Brewster's character into the positon of unit chief.

And I have since decided were it up to me I would give both Adam and Damon the heave ho. I would keep Aisha but use her on a limited basis. Lastly and I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I would approach Shemar upon returning to the show. I hear till his movie was a flop. Trust me guys I understand all about Morgan fatigue. I experienced it myself despite the fact that unlike JJ I was still relatively fond of Morgan. But there is always the chance if SM did agree to return he may want it to be on a somewhat limited basis.

• Love 1