Type keyword(s) to search

Love in the Time of Walkers: Relationships in The Walking Dead

• Start Topic

(edited)

I used to watch TWD online, but I lost my internet access after S3 mid season finale. I kept up with the show via recaps, but completely stopped watching and caring about the show after I read that Andrea died in the finale.

However, I was informed by a work colleague that Michonne and Rick got together. I didn't see that happening since my mind was still stuck in S3. So, I had to go back to S3 to watch the evolution of Richonne. And, yes, its there and it works.

I absolutely hated Maggie is season 2, and did not want her with Glenn. I've now come to accept her as a character since she gotten stronger. But, I still hate her relationship with Glenn. They are boring...and its always the same with them. I have find Maggie, or I have to find Glenn.

I prefer Carol and Daryl as old sister- little brother. A sexual relationship between them is not needed and would be bad.

Sasha and Abraham - please don't let them happen. Put him with Francine or leave him with Rosita. They worked.

I hope we don't get Rosita and Eugene like the comics. I like Rosita...but detest Eugene with every fiber within me

I don't like Carol with a weak, boring, and useless man like Tobin. But, whatever...

Edited by HalcyonDays
Removed for comics spoilers

I have been watching season 5B to get prepared for the Season 6 Marathon which starts tomorrow and I have to tell you that I am just FFing through all the Jesse/Rick stuff.  Was not happy about how they went about it, I mean seriously him being all creepy (and that is not a good look on Rick Grimes) about her.  I mean really she was married, it was like they recycled the whole Rick/Lori/Shane triangle, I hated that when it was happening and I really hated this version.

• Love 2

I wonder for newer posters… Should the spoiler tag on this thread be removed? It has kind of always confused me.

The red Spoilers tag is there to warn people that in THIS particular thread, spoilers be here. So read at your own risk. I just wanted to alert everyone's attention to the note I just posted in the popular threads. However, I'm not tolerating comics spoilers this weekend. Also, this is a relationship thread, so if one is really behind on watching the Walking Dead and apparently living in a hole, and hasn't seen the Richonne hookup, well reading this thread, you'll be spoiled. That's what the red tag is for - a warning that you might be spoiled.

Also, this thread is not where you are to be talking about this Sunday's events...

• Love 1
(edited)

I was re-watching the recent Alexandria episodes and while I still cannot abide how they wrote Rick/Jessie, I did a double take during the Michonne/David scene. At the time, I could not figure out why the writers included his monologue about meeting and falling in love with Betsy. Now that Richonne has happened, it seems clear that this was intended to start waking Michonne up about her feelings for Rick and/or the potential of a romantic relationship with him. Yes, he was not her first friend, but the parallels are there.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

I always had a hard time with Daryl's alleged virginity. In real life, when you hang around junkies in the kind of environment Daryl grew up in, the chances of anyone staying a virgin are pretty low. Anything is possible, I guess, but I find it hard to believe Daryl has never found himself in a sexual situation with someone. With alcohol and drugs flying around he has to have some very heavy issues in order to actively avoid any physical contact with anyone.

I think this story originated from Norman. I'm pretty sure he said early on that he plays Daryl as a virgin.

(edited)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if the writers want me not to ship Morgan/Carol, they're doing a terrible job. He broke his code for her! Carol had that whole spiel about how if you care about people, you have to kill for them, and Morgan killed for her! Aw.

I think this story originated from Norman. I'm pretty sure he said early on that he plays Daryl as a virgin.

Wasn't NR's headcanon that Daryl was "prison gay" at one point? Leemoon's point about it being unlikely that someone from Daryl's background could have successfully avoided sexual relations for his whole life is well taken, but I'd always thought that if Daryl is a deeply closeted gay guy in addition to having been physically abused as a child, he could realistically be a virgin at whatever age Daryl is supposed to be. The official word is that Daryl is not gay, though, so there goes that theory.

I always thought he just never felt worthy of the CDB women and wouldn't make a move without some heavy encouragement just in case he gets rejected.

Carol has flirted with him pretty overtly and he wasn't having any of it. It could be that he's interested in sex, just not with Carol, but I doubt Daryl's shyness and self-esteem issues are the explanation for his lack of interest in sex. Compare Daryl to someone like Eugene, someone who for all his attempts to be macho is also shy and insecure (thus Eugene's attempts to better himself and be more of a badass), but who unlike Daryl is clearly and unambiguously interested in sex.

At the very least Merle forced him to have sex with someone. Probably some skeevy older Merle cast off.  Merle was an awful human being. No way he would allow his brother to wander around being a virgin past the age of 14.

Merle would, wouldn't he? Ugh.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4

I have had more than my share of issues with the writing of the last few episodes, and the Daryl dumbness, and the rough way they told Carol's story, and the way they chose to built Rick's ego way up for such obvious contrivance, and I totally understand why so many fans are pissed off and have had enough of the show's games...

but...

I loved the bit so much where Rick is completely desolate with worry for Michonne and just completely comes apart inside in a different way than he has with anyone before (again reminding us she is not his "new Lori" nor does he want or need a replacement for Lori). 

Andrew was so, so, so, so good. These gifs I got on tumblr (yeah I know) just...

tumblr_inline_o54st8ekZS1t36khq_500.gif

tumblr_inline_o54stpbMfX1t36khq_500.gif

I will put up with so much shit for this pairing. The soap opera fan in me can't stop it even if I wanted to. Whatever happens next season I hope they get this relationship as right as they did this season. I just adore them and most of all I love how committed Andrew and Danai are to these characters and to their craft. I feel so lucky to have them on my screen.

• Love 19

I don't mind Rick and Michoone together, it's just that the way it came about didn't work for me. I know there was a time jump between Jessie's death and them getting together, but it was one episode right after the other. I still feel like Michoone loves Rick as I felt her attraction to him for awhile, but Rick came off to me as a serial monogamist.

Rick zoomed in on Jessie the second he saw her because she fitted his type. Michoone is a better fit for him, but I never got to see his realization of his feelings towards her because the way that episode was constructed, it already seemed like they were together from the very first scene. I get why Rick and Michoone shippers hate Jessie, because her story caused a gap in Rick and Michoon'es story that was never filled. More than that, it showed Rick has a pattern.

I can't help but feel bad for Michoone, because I think in reality, her relationship with Rick would have ended like his marriage with Lori. I'm not convinced he got together with her because he loves her romantically and I think over time he would have started to form en emotional wall between them the way he did with Lori.

Shippers, don't hate me - this is just my opinion.

• Love 1

I will put up with so much shit for this pairing. The soap opera fan in me can't stop it even if I wanted to. Whatever happens next season I hope they get this relationship as right as they did this season. I just adore them and most of all I love how committed Andrew and Danai are to these characters and to their craft. I feel so lucky to have them on my screen.

This is really lovely. I also hope they get Rick and Michonne as right as they did these past 4 seasons. I've really loved this long progression we've been lucky enough to see.

Rick zoomed in on Jessie the second he saw her because she fitted his type. Michoone is a better fit for him, but I never got to see his realization of his feelings towards her because the way that episode was constructed, it already seemed like they were together from the very first scene. I get why Rick and Michoone shippers hate Jessie, because her story caused a gap in Rick and Michoon'es story that was never filled. More than that, it showed Rick has a pattern.

I can't help but feel bad for Michoone, because I think in reality, her relationship with Rick would have ended like his marriage with Lori. I'm not convinced he got together with her because he loves her romantically and I think over time he would have started to form en emotional wall between them the way he did with Lori.

Shippers, don't hate me - this is just my opinion.

I didn't love the way the Jessie stuff played out, but I thought it was necessary. Since he woke up from his coma, Rick has been surrounded by women fighting to survive. They are all hungry, dirty, desperate, sad, struggling. And he has lost so many people, and everyone around him is a reminder of those losses and that pain. When he saw Jessie, she was a married mother of two boys, clean, smiling. She didn't seem jaded or suspicious. She represented everything he believed he missed and was supposed to have. And I think he needed to experience what she represented to understand he no longer wanted that, or could really have it. (If she had been single, without kids, I'm not sure he would have zeroed in on her.)

I think there have been moments since season 4 when Rick desired some type of physical contact with Michonne. Not sex, but I think he would have welcomed a hug from her in the season 5 finale when he tells her she could have talked him out of the gun debacle. The way he looks at her in that scene, I'm pretty sure he would have held onto her if she'd reached out and hugged him. I also think she could have successfully hugged him during the kitchen scene in season 4 when he asks her to be there for Carl. His was vulnerable and unwell, but a light hug probably would have been accepted. But that wasn't Michonne.

And I'm not saying they were sexually ready for each other at this point, but I think he wanted more than just the quick hand and arm taps they give each other.

If I feel sorry for Michonne, it's only because I'm beginning to agree with some that Rick isn't completely sane. I think there's a fine line. But I think That's why Michonne works for him. I think she's one person who can pull him back from that line and keep him in check. It's the other reason why I think theres still much more story for them. At least, I hope.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm not a fan of Michonne being with Rick (I think she deserves MUCH better) but I'm curious about what happens to their relationship now (that doesn't mean I'm going to watch).  Michonne lost her baby because the man she loved fell apart under pressure.  It might not be fair, but Rick DID fall apart Sunday night.  He was practically catatonic.  On the other hand, Michonne stood up to Negan like a queen.  I think Danai is one of the most beautiful women working in television right now and I don't think she has ever looked more beautiful than in that moment when she stared Negan down.  She looked like an African goddess. 

Will Michonne have flashbacks of what happened with Andre, Mike and Terry? Mike fell apart under the pressure of living in the ZA and Michonne's baby was killed.  Gimple hasn't bothered to spend any time at all on Michonne's history; he just tossed her in Rick's bed and that seems to be it.  Does Rick even know that Michonne was a mother who had to put down her own child?  It sure would be nice if Michonne actually got a story line that had nothing to do with the man she's fucking, but that seems to be too much to ask in Gimple-land.  I think Gimple put Michonne with Rick so he wouldn't have to bother writing anything for her.

If I sound like a bitter Michonne fan, it's because I am.

Edited to add:  Over and over and over again, I hear what Michonne can do for Rick.  But what does Rick do for Michonne other than provide her with what's apparently a woman's dream:  a man and some children to care for.  I've asked it over and over and I've never got an answer.  I just think Rick is so unworthy of a woman like Michonne and it kills me to see her lower herself to be with someone like him.

Edited by mightysparrow

I've asked it over and over and I've never got an answer.  I just think Rick is so unworthy of a woman like Michonne and it kills me to see her lower herself to be with someone like him.

I've asked the bolded part a couple of times and didn't get an answer either. I genuinely don't understand what makes Rick so unworthy of her, or what makes her so superior to him? He's a little nuts, but I think everyone is. No way could people experience and see and do the things they've done without some level of PTSD.

• Love 7

Rick is a little nuts.

As is Michonne.

And Carl.

And Carol.

And Daryl.

Etc., etc.

Let's face it - if you've been walking around this hell-on-earth for a couple of years now and there's NOT something wrong with you, there's something seriously wrong with you.

• Love 13
(edited)

I've asked the bolded part a couple of times and didn't get an answer either. I genuinely don't understand what makes Rick so unworthy of her, or what makes her so superior to him? He's a little nuts, but I think everyone is. No way could people experience and see and do the things they've done without some level of PTSD.

I can't think of a way that Michonne ISN'T superior to Rick. 

From the two minute glimpse we got of her life before the ZA it was clear that Michonne was a sassy, stylish, sophisticated woman.  Of course the ZA changed everything but way back in season 4, Michonne was still a woman who was as quick-witted as she was quick with her sword.  This is the woman who said, 'my shit has always been together' and 'angry makes you stupid and stupid gets you killed'. 

Has Michonne ever had a conversation with Rick that was about HER?  As far as I can remember, conversations between Michonne and Rick tend to be either about Rick or his children. Michonne used to have relationships with other members of team family.  She traveled with Daryl for months, searching for the Governor.  She loved Hershel and was friends with Glenn and Maggie.  She had a very intimate talk with Father Gabriel back at his church and with Abraham at the 'Welcome to Alexandria' party.  It seemed that when Gimple started grooming Michonne to become Rick's woman, her world narrowed to Rick and his children and we rarely saw Michonne interact with other people.  She spent most of her time telling Rick he was a good guy when he so clearly wasn't. 

In the comic, when Rick comes to after Michonne straightens out his head with a rock, Michonne reads his ass for filth.  But on the show, Michonne just quietly soothes Rick and tells him how great he is even though he's endangering all of CDB INCLUDING his children because he wants to fuck Jessie.

I think the main reason that Rick has become such a fucking delusional dictator is because Michonne HASN'T been the one to keep him in line the way she used to.  There's no way on earth Michonne would have agreed to the attack on the Saviours with absolutely no recon.  And when she questions whether they killed Negan, she's perfectly willing to accept Rick's assurance even though there's absolutely no proof at all, because she's such a good little wifey who stands by her man. 

Before Negan showed him how a REAL psycho bully acts, Rick was a violent, psycho asshole.  Michonne deserves MUCH better than that.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 2

I have had more than my share of issues with the writing of the last few episodes, and the Daryl dumbness, and the rough way they told Carol's story, and the way they chose to built Rick's ego way up for such obvious contrivance, and I totally understand why so many fans are pissed off and have had enough of the show's games...

but...

I loved the bit so much where Rick is completely desolate with worry for Michonne and just completely comes apart inside in a different way than he has with anyone before (again reminding us she is not his "new Lori" nor does he want or need a replacement for Lori). 

Andrew was so, so, so, so good. These gifs I got on tumblr (yeah I know) just...

tumblr_inline_o54st8ekZS1t36khq_500.gif

tumblr_inline_o54stpbMfX1t36khq_500.gif

This scene totally killed me, the despair on his face, not knowing if the women he loves is dead, not wanting to even think about that, not knowing if she is hurt and needs him. At this moment you can feel that despair, that heartbreak.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think it's just the opposite. Gimple has been fixated on Michonne since before he became showrunner (in a good way, IMO).

As a michonne fan, I don't see that AT ALL. I think we can say that about Carol, not Michonne. Carol seems to be Gimple's favorite character. The character he writes bottle episodes for and spent 4 episodes giving her the b plot-line to keep showing us how miserable she is and hate killing. While at the same time showing her killing people.

So while I disagree with MightySparrow, about Richonne. I agree with her that Michonne have not have much of a story for at least 2 seasons now.

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 1

I mean, Carol is far from the first character who's had a solo episode (or a consistent B-plotline). And Michonne has had the same kind of spotlight episodes. Most of the long-standing cast has had at least a few of those at this point in the last three years, if not an entire subplot or frontburner arc.

Gimple has been grooming Michonne to be with Rick since Season 3.

I agree. The way the writers introduced them to each other makes it clear that even if these two people don't become romantic, they will have a close and special relationship.

I mean, Carol is far from the first character who's had a solo episode (or a consistent B-plotline). And Michonne has had the same kind of spotlight episodes. Most of the long-standing cast has had at least a few of those at this point in the last three years, if not an entire subplot or frontburner arc.

Michonne never had a bottle episode. The last time she had a consistent B plot that even come close to Carol's is in S3. It was better than it is now but was never like the one Carol have.

• Love 1

Michonne has NEVER had a bottle episode that was completely focused on her and her story.  Carol has had several.  In fact, I think it's safe to say that only Daryl can match the kind of the attention that Gimple has lavished on Carol and Daryl is TWD's #1 money maker.  Carol may have a loud fanbase, but she doesn't bring in the cash like Daryl, Michonne or Rick do.

Michonne has NEVER had a bottle episode that was completely focused on her and her story. Carol has had several. In fact, I think it's safe to say that only Daryl can match the kind of the attention that Gimple has lavished on Carol and Daryl is TWD's #1 money maker. Carol may have a loud fanbase, but she doesn't bring in the cash like Daryl, Michonne or Rick do.

I think it is mostly because the critics love Carol and MMB. Any time he writes anything for her, he get praise, even if the rest of the episode is crap. SG seems to be chasing after an Emmy and using MMB/Carol to try to get it.

• Love 1

I agree. The way the writers introduced them to each other makes it clear that even if these two people don't become romantic, they will have a close and special relationship.

Michonne never had a bottle episode. The last time she had a consistent B plot that even come close to Carol's is in S3. It was better than it is now but was never like the one Carol have.

I think it was always in the cards that Michonne and Rick would be extremely close because they are in the comics.  But I think that the romance is very much OOC for both of them.  As someone mentioned above, Rick definitely has a 'type' and Michonne isn't it (I'm happy to say). Michonne also had a type, in the comic and Rick ain't that either.  Not just racially (although I don't think there's anything wrong with a Black woman being attracted to Black men) but I don't think Rick is the 'alpha male' type that Comic!Michonne seemed to like.

I think it is mostly because the critics love Carol and MMB. Any time he writes anything for her, he get praise, even if the rest of the episode is crap. SG seems to be chasing after an Emmy and using MMB/Carol to try to get it.

I think he's betting on the wrong horse.  This is my opinion, but I think MMB is one of the most over-rated actors I've ever seen.  I think one of the reasons why Michonne doesn't get any focus is because Gimple is afraid that Danai will over-shadow his favourite.  There has to be a reason why Michonne and Carol haven't exchanged 10 words since Michonne showed up.

My reasons for loving Rick and Michonne together are pretty straight-foward:

I think Danai Gurira is beautiful; I think Andrew Lincoln is beautiful. I think both actors have a lot of chemistry when they're together, I think they look good together, and I think they act well together. And it helps that they (the actors) want the couple to be together. I always think that helps. Call me crazy, but I think Rick and Michonne are at their sexiest when they're fighting walkers/bad guys, and they're hot and sweaty and tired. 

I agree we haven't seen enough of Michonne's backstory, but that's one of the reasons I thought Michonne might be safe from Lucille. I thought season 7 would bring us some moments that wouldn't have worked as well in the past when Rick and Michonne weren't a couple. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't come out that Michonne had a son,  and that she lived in (what looked like) an expensive condo on a high floor in the city. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't come out that, before, race was not the only thing that made Rick and Michonne different. His conversations with Shane before his coma were how to keep a woman happy and her conversations with her boyfriend were about theater. They were different, but I don't think those differences matter much anymore, not when you're just trying to survive an apocalypse.

In season 3, the first time they meet, there's a moment when Rick asks Michonne's name. Michonne seems briefly taken by him. The same for Rick when she tells him not to touch her again. I've always thought Rick and Michonne were attracted to each other the moment they saw each other.

If you're in the zombie apocalypse, and every minute (not every day, but every minute) you're fighting to survive, and you meet a person you get along well with, trust, and find attractive, being better than means nothing. A person who passes up a chance to have sex with a hottie they may be in love with (after spending some of the most harrowing moments of their lives together), when there may not even be a tomorrow, because he's not good enough, or she's not good enough? Is nuts.

So maybe for many people, not just me, Rick and Michonne come down to this: I like the way they look together; the characters like the way the other one looks; they have good chemistry; they look like they have a lot of fun in bed. And tomorrow they could be dead. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• Love 8

Thank you mightysparrow for taking the time to give that input!

She spent most of her time telling Rick he was a good guy when he so clearly wasn't.

I don't recall that but I'll take your word for it since my memory is permanently on the fritz.

• Love 1
(edited)

I mean, we can quibble about the length or the trappings but I don't agree. I think Michonne's had her share of dark nights of the soul, particularly the episode in Season 4 where she reunites with Rick and Carl. I think they've delved into her a lot. After a certain point, though, she became a steadier presence as the character evolved well beyond the comic - steadier than Rick, in fact. She became his rock.

I just don't think it's a competition. I love both women, I think Gimple loves them both. And I think Michonne's backstory is something she keeps very, very close to herself and I understand those reasons, I don't think they're lazy. I do think it's a hard thing to fully share with a lover, especially when Michonne spent so much time so guarded.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

My reasons for loving Rick and Michonne together are pretty straight-foward:

I think Danai Gurira is beautiful; I think Andrew Lincoln is beautiful. I think both actors have a lot of chemistry when they're together, I think they look good together, and I think they act well together. And it helps that they (the actors) want the couple to be together. I always think that helps. Call me crazy, but I think Rick and Michonne are at their sexiest when they're fighting walkers/bad guys, and they're hot and sweaty and tired. 

I agree we haven't seen enough of Michonne's backstory, but that's one of the reasons I thought Michonne might be safe from Lucille. I thought season 7 would bring us some moments that wouldn't have worked as well in the past when Rick and Michonne weren't a couple. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't come out that Michonne had a son,  and that she lived in (what looked like) an expensive condo on a high floor in the city. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't come out that, before, race was not the only thing that made Rick and Michonne different. His conversations with Shane before his coma were how to keep a woman happy and her conversations with her boyfriend were about theater. They were different, but I don't think those differences matter much anymore, not when you're just trying to survive an apocalypse.

In season 3, the first time they meet, there's a moment when Rick asks Michonne's name. Michonne seems briefly taken by him. The same for Rick when she tells him not to touch her again. I've always thought Rick and Michonne were attracted to each other the moment they saw each other.

If you're in the zombie apocalypse, and every minute (not every day, but every minute) you're fighting to survive, and you meet a person you get along well with, trust, and find attractive, being better than means nothing. A person who passes up a chance to have sex with a hottie they may be in love with (after spending some of the most harrowing moments of their lives together), when there may not even be a tomorrow, because he's not good enough, or she's not good enough? Is nuts.

So maybe for many people, not just me, Rick and Michonne come down to this: I like the way they look together; the characters like the way the other one looks; they have good chemistry; they look like they have a lot of fun in bed. And tomorrow they could be dead. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Good comment.  And you make some good points.  I guess my biggest problem is that I DON'T think Andrew Lincoln is beautiful.  I think he's kind of weaselly looking.  Especially when he's close to Danai.

And I honestly never saw any attraction between the two.  We saw Michonne flirt with Daryl and other men and I just didn't get the same vibe with Rick.

I'll admit it. I'm an elitist bitch.  I wouldn't last a day in the apocalypse.

• Love 1

And I honestly never saw any attraction between the two.  We saw Michonne flirt with Daryl and other men and I just didn't get the same vibe with Rick.

I never saw it either. Until the night she and Rick got it on (shortly - and weirdly to me - after his Big Crush got croaked), the biggest, flirtiest smile I remember seeing her give was for Daryl.

Hey, maybe she was just in the mood and Rick is the one who responded. Nothing wrong with that!

• Love 1

Good comment.  And you make some good points.  I guess my biggest problem is that I DON'T think Andrew Lincoln is beautiful.  I think he's kind of weaselly looking.  Especially when he's close to Danai.

I'll admit it. I'm an elitist bitch.  I wouldn't last a day in the apocalypse.

MightySparrow - I think you and I were in complete agreement on this at the start of this thread. I have to say now that I can't ship her with Daryl anymore because the man doesn't bathe.  I cannot picture Michonne being OK with his standards of personal hygiene.  Also, we've now gotten a few scenes where Rick has made her laugh - admittedly, laughing AT him, rather than WITH him but it's probably enough.  Bottom line, yes she;s too good for him but I can't think of any man in the cast who is better than Rick at the moment so beggars can't always be choosers (even if they look like Danai).

As to the issue with Michonne-centric episodes -- is anyone here old enough to remember the show Thirtysomething? The writers on that show said that the hardest character to write for was Hope because she was "perfect" and just went about her business with a maternal glow.  That's Michonne's problem - she is the sanest member of the group and, as she said to Tyreese, she always has her shit together.  It means that other characters are easier for the writer's room to play with in separate episodes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I never saw it either. Until the night she and Rick got it on (shortly - and weirdly to me - after his Big Crush got croaked), the biggest, flirtiest smile I remember seeing her give was for Daryl.

Hey, maybe she was just in the mood and Rick is the one who responded. Nothing wrong with that!

I can buy that they just wanted to fuck (the second before they started snogging Rick said he wanted to turn his brain off) and they like fucking each other so they keep doing it.   They like and respect each other and that helps too.  But I don't buy that this is some grand love story that's been brewing for ages.  Because, WHAT WAS ALL THAT SHIT ABOUT JESSIE?  If Richonne was meant to happen since season 4, then why didn't it happen the minute they got to Alexandria.  They were safe, comfortable and living in the same house.  And the first time Rick is interested in a woman after his wife dies, it's NOT Michonne.

I can't help feeling that Richonne was a bone thrown to the fans to cover the disaster that was Jessie and Rick.  I got the feeling that Alexandra thought she was there for the long haul and was quite surprised and hurt at the reaction her character received.  So Rick hacked off her arm and Gimple tossed Michonne in his bed.  I find it impossible to believe that Michonne I had been watching for so long wouldn't ask Rick what the fuck was up with Jessie BEFORE she screwed him.  Not my girl.

MightySparrow - I think you and I were in complete agreement on this at the start of this thread. I have to say now that I can't ship her with Daryl anymore because the man doesn't bathe.  I cannot picture Michonne being OK with his standards of personal hygiene.  Also, we've now gotten a few scenes where Rick has made her laugh - admittedly, laughing AT him, rather than WITH him but it's probably enough.  Bottom line, yes she;s too good for him but I can't think of any man in the cast who is better than Rick at the moment so beggars can't always be choosers (even if they look like Danai).

As to the issue with Michonne-centric episodes -- is anyone here old enough to remember the show Thirtysomething? The writers on that show said that the hardest character to write for was Hope because she was "perfect" and just went about her business with a maternal glow.  That's Michonne's problem - she is the sanest member of the group and, as she said to Tyreese, she always has her shit together.  It means that other characters are easier for the writer's room to play with in separate episodes.

Oh I used to ship Michonne and Daryl but that mofo is too damn stank!

And Gimple has a guaranteed story for Michonne.  Andre's death BROKE her.  Let Danai run with that, and Gimple will get that Emmy he's so thirsty for.

Edited by mightysparrow

I think Andy Lincoln is so beautiful and OMG look at that hair that Danai can't leave alone. Each person sees what they want to see and that is fine. When you think about it, if the ZA had never happened Rick and Michonne would never have even crossed paths. From what we saw of her in the flashback, she was a very cultured person, she seemed very affluent and I think she had something to do with the arts, remember when her and Carl are at that house where she told him about Andre, the house was filled with painting and she stopped and studied each one of them, so that tells me that she was involved in the artistic community. And how can we forget that beautiful cat that she got from the King County Café. Rick was just a small town deputy whose life revolved around the little town he was from and who knows if he ever ventured to Atlanta.

But once the ZA happened everyone's life changed and what you were before meant nothing now. But they met and I always thought that scene at the fence was so electric. To this day I think that moment awakened something in both of them that they did not expect.

Yes she did flirt with Daryl but she also flirted with Hershal. Even though Merle was taking her to Governor, he also was taken by her, so much so that he let her go.

But in the end the only ones that matter are Rick and Michonne, they care deeply about each and that is what counts.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think he's kind of weaselly looking.

LOL, this is what I think when I see Dary.

Don't get me wrong, I like Daryl but most of the time to me Daryl looks weaselly. And I was surprised when I heard he used to be model but I heard his face have change since then because of an accident. But honestly, I always feels guilty about thinking that Daryl looks weaselly especially after I heard about the accident.

Edited by SevenStars

I think he's betting on the wrong horse.  This is my opinion, but I think MMB is one of the most over-rated actors I've ever seen.  I think one of the reasons why Michonne doesn't get any focus is because Gimple is afraid that Danai will over-shadow his favourite.  There has to be a reason why Michonne and Carol haven't exchanged 10 words since Michonne showed up.

I think one of the reasons is because there's no source material to use for them. In the comics, Tyreese cheats with Michonne and Carol attempts suicide. I even remember some fans assuming that would happen in season 3 or season 4, but by that point it would have made no sense for the characters. 

I think it's also that Carol's story is often isolated and keeps her on the outside of the group. Her closest scene partner has been Daryl but even they barely interact in recent years. Lately it's been Morgan - another isolated character. 

I also think the women don't tend to work together that often, outside of certain points. I know Lauren Cohan and Melissa McBride said they'd wanted to work together for a long time before The Same Boat.

• Love 2

But I don't buy that this is some grand love story that's been brewing for ages.  Because, WHAT WAS ALL THAT SHIT ABOUT JESSIE?  If Richonne was meant to happen since season 4, then why didn't it happen the minute they got to Alexandria.  They were safe, comfortable and living in the same house.  And the first time Rick is interested in a woman after his wife dies, it's NOT Michonne.

Exactly! It's as though the writers were too scared not to obey demands of the fans and that's disappointing, resulting in something that, to me, was totally out of left field, unless hacking off his crush's arm put Rick in an amorous mood.

• Love 1
(edited)

First time poster. Wanted to address the Richonne skeptics.

Danai on Richonne:
Speaking to Vulture after the Sunday night premiere of her Broadway play Eclipsed (the one directed by TK’s sister and starring Lupita Nyong’o), Danai Gurira seemed to have slipped an unintended spoiler into the conversation. Asked about Rick and Michonne’s love match, Gurira first stated that she knew there was something there when in the third season her character went to retrieve a family photo for Carl, putting her life in danger since the house she entered was full of walkers.

“It clicked to me. That’s a man who made her change, and she’s made him change. They can check each other, she can make him laugh, she can disarm him, but she’s also deeply loyal to him and she respects him. And for Michonne to really respect a man is no small thing. I was like, Who else is she gonna? This has got to be the guy, in my brain.

Continuing, the actress spoke about her actions this season, saving Carl from being shot by Ron.

“It was so clear to me how much she loved him, and his son, so much. She’s going to, you know, run through a herd of zombies to get his son to the infirmary, and she’s going to run out into a herd of zombies to keep him from dying. I felt her panicking. I was, like, She never panics. But the idea of losing either one of these men today, she’s just not going to do it.”

But, what’s really significant is another comment she made, about the state of Rick and Michonne…now:

“They’re still together.”

Andrew on Richonne:
Once Rick has had time to heal emotionally from the death of his wife, and came to terms with the true version of himself in this world, he is finally ready and stable enough to have a partner. There is a short interlude before this, however, with [out of left field] Jessie. Jessie who represented Rick’s old life.

Andrew Lincoln described the experience as:

“I was concerned about the time jump not registering, because episodically, Rick’s just lost Jessie. But actually, Jessie’s a vital part of opening up a very important area of Rick that he had closed since Lori’s death. I think without Jessie, the kiss [with Michonne] would never have happened. There is a natural evolution, I think, of Rick between those two women.”

Just wanted to share. Hope it clarifies.

Edited by FilmPimp
  • Love 4
(edited)

I can't help feeling that Richonne was a bone thrown to the fans to cover the disaster that was Jessie and Rick.  I got the feeling that Alexandra thought she was there for the long haul and was quite surprised and hurt at the reaction her character received.  So Rick hacked off her arm and Gimple tossed Michonne in his bed.  I find it impossible to believe that Michonne I had been watching for so long wouldn't ask Rick what the fuck was up with Jessie BEFORE she screwed him.  Not my girl.

I think Gimple messed-up by keeping the Jessie part from the comic book, but I don't think Richonne was bone thrown to the fans. Danai talked about seeing the possibility of Richonne in the clear episode and talking to Gimple about it since he wrote the episode. Gimple talked about the fact that he always had planed to do Richonne. Like other fans, you might not have seen it but there were a lot of fans who saw it from the start. That's why from season 3 fans kept asking the writers and the actors about it. Until it became something that even the media would ask Danai, Andrew and Gimple about every time they did an interview. 

As for Jessie being gone sooner rather than later because of fans reaction, according to AB that's not the case. Here is a what had to said about her exit: 

I think they always knew that they were going to follow that storyline. At least that’s what I was told, but I didn’t know until just before the beginning of shooting the sixth season, so I didn’t know when I got the job. I thought maybe I’d be on the show for, like, a couple of years.

It’s interesting that they did tell you at that point because I’ve spoken to some people who only got about two or three weeks notice. But you’re saying that you did know before you guys started shooting season 6.

Yeah, I knew in about March. [showrunner Scott M. Gimple] had sort of mapped out the season I think already and knew that they were planning to have that whole scene with Jessie and her family and Rick and Michonne and Carl, and have that happen around episode nine. I think he was just giving me the heads up so I didn’t unnecessarily plant myself in Atlanta, like get a long-term rental. He was just trying to be nice and give me the heads up, but I was super sad.

That is nice of him to do that because I do know people that’s happened to, where actors on the show buy a place down there after being on for a while and then, oops!

I know and I think because of that he’s giving people more of a heads up.

How did he deliver the news about the situation?

Actually, we were at a cast dinner and I was just talking about looking into apartments and he said “Oh, you’re looking at apartments. Oh, I should talk to you about that, actually.”

link:http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/14/walking-dead-alexandra-breckenridge-jessie-no-way-out-premiere

So based on that, it seems like Gimple was just trying to follow the comic book in regard to Jessie. I think that was a mistake especially since he intended to have Richonne get together within the next few episodes. The timing was just wrong. 

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 1
(edited)

But they met and I always thought that scene at the fence was so electric. To this day I think that moment awakened something in both of them that they did not expect.

I agree. That scene was fire. I don't think Rick and Michonne realized was was happening in that moment between them. There was just too much other sh*t going on, but it was the start of something special growing between them. 

My reasons for liking Rick and Michonne, besides the obvious i.e. chemistry and physical beauty, is what's already been stated, Michonne can reign Rick in. She calls him on his sh*t and he adhere's to what she's saying. She's a mother to his children. She's been a godsend for Carl IMHO. I think all of the above is why Rick loves Michonne, along with her beauty and fierceness. Though the latter I think scared Rick in the beginning. LOL. But with time he grew to appreciate and eventually love that about her. 

With regards to what Michonne gets from Rick, I honestly don't think she requires or needs that much from him. I think what attracts her to him is that he is the partner Mike couldn't be in this now unimaginably violent and terrifying world. He is a leader. He is a fighter. His love for his children knows no bounds and he will protect them with a ferocity unlike anything, I'm sure, she's ever seen. That last part I think is the clincher for Michonne. Basically Rick is everything that Mike couldn't be and what she needed him to be in this new world of the ZA. That IMHO, is why she loves Rick. Of course, him being a bow-legged hottie also helps. 

Even though Merle was taking her to Governor, he also was taken by her, so much so that he let her go.

I disagree. Merle let Michonne go due to his love for Darryl. Michonne helped herself of course by hitting him with some hard truths. But at the end of the day Merle wanted to save Darryl. He knew that even after the Governor got Michonne he would torture, kill her, probably kill him too, then go after Rick and his people, which included Darryl, at the prison. So he let Michonne go and went after the Governor himself. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

The Jessie inclusion, awkwardness and all, screamed Kirkman to me - following his canon as much as he can force it. But that's wank and I suspect likely just me projecting him into a boogeyman.

I liked Sam, and I thought the kid playing Ron was talented even if the story was rote. I think they could still have done some of that stuff with that family without the on-off romance angle that felt inexplicable and near-forgotten by the time they all got eaten.

• Love 6

Exactly! It's as though the writers were too scared not to obey demands of the fans and that's disappointing, resulting in something that, to me, was totally out of left field, unless hacking off his crush's arm put Rick in an amorous mood.

I don't think the Rick/Jessie stuff was about fan demands - I'm not sure I saw any big fans of that pairing from comics areas - as much as I think it was a horribly misguided attempt to go along with the idea that he had to find a new woman to turn his head so he could move on from Lori. It's a cliche, and it was a moth-eaten one at that. I also think they had the big scene in their head of her death and felt they had to make sure that was intact. I don't like the idea that he "had" to be with Jessie to find Michonne, but if they'd done it right I could have understood it. They just didn't, for me.

With that said, even if it had been downplayed, I don't think his feelings for Michonne were out of nowhere. There were too many times where I saw him looking at her with lust and need he never looked at any other woman (even Jessie) with. So when they finally went there, I wish there had been more buildup, I understood it. I don't think it was completely out of the sky.

I also wonder if one of the reasons they weren't more explicit in buildup was fear of fan backlash. It's hard for me to say, because yes, I know there are people who genuinely only ever saw them as friends, or even as brother and sister, but when I see someone say that and then say Rick should be with Maggie...then I wonder.

• Love 5
(edited)

LOL, this is what I think when I see Dary.

Don't get me wrong, I like Daryl but most of the time to me Daryl looks weaselly. And I was surprised when I heard he used to be model but I heard his face have change since then because of an accident. But honestly, I always feels guilty about thinking that Daryl looks weaselly especially after I heard about the accident.

I can't really tell the difference between pre- and post-accident NR. He's aged not too well as far as actors, who tend to be well-preserved, go (meaning he's aged more or less normally), but other than that he looks more or less the way he did before, plus normal aging.

Rick's emotional entanglement with Jessie was an important part of the Alexandria plot in the comics, so I can see why it was preserved in the show. Once it was out of the way, Gimple didn't waste any time with Richonne.

Edited by Eyes High

I think they built the Rick/Michonne relationship very deeply emotionally starting with Season 3 and especially Season 4. It was practically a love song when they arrive at Alexandria and she coaxes him to go in. The physicality was there but was always secondary to me in terms of the intense emotional intimacy - that's why I bought the shift, even coming where it did.

I often wonder if Kirkman insists on certain things just for the big setpieces - Jessie and her kid getting eaten and Rick cuts off her arm to save Carl and it's so extreeeeeme!

• Love 5
(edited)

I think the main reason that Rick has become such a fucking delusional dictator is because Michonne HASN'T been the one to keep him in line the way she used to.  There's no way on earth Michonne would have agreed to the attack on the Saviours with absolutely no recon.  And when she questions whether they killed Negan, she's perfectly willing to accept Rick's assurance even though there's absolutely no proof at all, because she's such a good little wifey who stands by her man. 

Before Negan showed him how a REAL psycho bully acts, Rick was a violent, psycho asshole.  Michonne deserves MUCH better than that.

I never got the feeling either of them 100% believed Negan was dead. I thought she was asking because she was hoping he was dead. The show never seemed to resolve that because soon after her question, the guy zoomed out on Daryl's motorcycle. 

I think of anyone in the group Michonne was one of the people who would have been most willing to take the risk, due to her history with The Governor. She repeatedly did her own thing with him. 

I think the main reason Rick became this way is lazy writing - they thought they needed to set him up for a fall, and apparently we're also supposed to believe he's like Negan. So the character suddenly turned delusional in the space of 2-3 episodes for that purpose. Plot over character.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if the writers want me not to ship Morgan/Carol, they're doing a terrible job. He broke his code for her! Carol had that whole spiel about how if you care about people, you have to kill for them, and Morgan killed for her! Aw.

When I heard Morgan was returning to the show, I thought he would be good for Carol. He immediately saw through her happy homemaker act, which guaranteed Carol would be avoiding him.

Then they did the whole Wolf scenes. While I wanted to see these two in high emotion situations, I would have preferred no physical violence. Morgan was only defending himself, but it's hard to see petite little MMB manhandled when you know Carol's history. But I understood both sides, and did not hold it against either character.

And while I didn't feel much out of the Tobin thing, maybe Tobin was Carol's Jessie, and reminded Carol that she's still a sexual being. Tobin was sweet, but he never saw the real Carol. Morgan is the one who identified how Carol was dying inside - not Rick, not Daryl, not anyone who should have noticed.

And as they've deliberately put distance between Daryl and Carol since they've reached Alexandria, I'm hoping the writers intend a meaningful relationship between Carol and Morgan. I'd be satisfied if it was just a true friendship. The scene in which he finds her huddled in the doorway really moved me. And when she begged him to leave her alone, and he smiled sweetly and told her he would start listening to her soon - well I was teary eyes. And while Morgan's "all life is precious" mantra alienated many, I understood it. And it's very meaningful that he finally broke through that reluctance, and he seemingly did it with little regret. That's how strongly he needed to save Carol. And while CDB strangely allows Carol to act as if Sophia's loss no longer hurts, Morgan knows it does. And he also feels guilty that he didn't protect his son enough and feels he's responsible for his child's death.

For me, LJ and MMB are the best actors in this show. I enjoy the scenery chewing method acting of AL and NR, but subtlety works better for me.

And one last thing that finally put a death knell (for me) in the BFF Carol and Daryl thing, was the fact that they wrote his angst as being inspired by Denise rather than Carol. I think everyone who saw that preview assumed he would be dramatically running off for Carol. Plus, when asked if Daryl would have run to retrieve Carol, Norman said absolutely. Then followed it up with Daryl would have done that for "anyone". If the show and NR can't be bothered to nurture that friendship, I can't be bothered to mourn it.

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought Rick was cocky enough at that point to believe what the guy at the safehouse implied, that they were all Negan under a shared cover of intimidation. I'm not sure Michonne bought it, but I bet most of the others did.

They had reason to believe the Saviors were another fairly raggedy outfit they could dismantle like the Wolves, Terminus, the hospital crew and the Governor. Nothing like Negan's operation has crossed their path over the course of what must now be several years. It could easily have been a handful of guys, a name and a penny-ante protection racket, which is how it appeared to them at first when they were at the Hilltop. They got caught out because they didn't know, but I suspect there may not have been an obvious way to know. Look at the safehouse, at the base they hit - nothing at either location suggested they had other massive hubs of numbers out there. The Saviors appear to be compartmentalized.

ETA: And yeah, I am lightly shipping Morgan and Carol at this point despite my Morgan issues. The actors are both too good. He killed someone, it's a start!

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

And one last thing that finally put a death knell (for me) in the BFF Carol and Daryl thing, was the fact that they wrote his angst as being inspired by Denise rather than Carol. I think everyone who saw that preview assumed he would be dramatically running off for Carol. Plus, when asked if Daryl would have run to retrieve Carol, Norman said absolutely. Then followed it up with Daryl would have done that for "anyone". If the show and NR can't be bothered to nurture that friendship, I can't be bothered to mourn it.

I think the friendship is still there, and they're still very important to each other, but I feel like the show was concerned at how much it came to define both characters for a lot of fans. I think for Carol's story in particular they decided to move away from that, because she has so many problems Daryl (and not even Morgan, although he understands her a bit more at the moment) can address.

I had mixed feelings about the shooting scene. I could see it as personal between Carol and Morgan, but I also saw it as the ultimate slap in the face of reality for Morgan. Nothing he could say would stop that Savior. He was going to kill Carol even though he knew it meant certain death for him. There was no beauty or sanctity of life. There was only one choice.

• Love 3

So based on that, it seems like Gimple was just trying to follow the comic book in regard to Jessie. I think that was a mistake especially since he intended to have Richonne get together within the next few episodes. The timing was just wrong. 

I agree the timing was off here. Jessie's death should have happened before the hiatus. If they really couldn't do that, they should have indicated on the screen how much time had passed. I know we all like to think people don't need things spelled out for them, but some people do. 

With regards to what Michonne gets from Rick, I honestly don't think she requires or needs that much from him. I think what attracts her to him is that he is the partner Mike couldn't be in this now unimaginably violent and terrifying world. He is a leader. He is a fighter. His love for his children knows no bounds and he will protect them with a ferocity unlike anything, I'm sure, she's ever seen. That last part I think is the clincher for Michonne. Basically Rick is everything that Mike couldn't be and what she needed him to be in this new world of the ZA. That IMHO, is why she loves Rick. Of course, him being a bow-legged hottie also helps. 

Well put. What Michonne gets from Rick is a man who can fight with her and kill with her. He can also kill for her when she needs him to.

With that said, even if it had been downplayed, I don't think his feelings for Michonne were out of nowhere. There were too many times where I saw him looking at her with lust and need he never looked at any other woman (even Jessie) with. So when they finally went there, I wish there had been more buildup, I understood it. I don't think it was completely out of the sky.

I also wonder if one of the reasons they weren't more explicit in buildup was fear of fan backlash. It's hard for me to say, because yes, I know there are people who genuinely only ever saw them as friends, or even as brother and sister, but when I see someone say that and then say Rick should be with Maggie...then I wonder.

My husband thinks the show is a bit ridiculous, so when I forced him to watch the Rick/Michonne scenes from season 3 and 4 he just shrugged and said "They're clearly attracted to each other." But he's still pretty surprised there are people who don't see the attraction between them. It must be incredibly frustrating for the actors. Like "Did you really not see the way we were looking at each other in that scene?"

• Love 2

I heard about the Maggie stuff. So people are upset that Rick and Michonne had sex a few weeks (months?) after Jessie, a woman he didn't love, was killed, but feel Rick should hook up with Maggie if her husband, the father of her unborn child, is murdered? They aren't making a good case for themselves.

• Love 6

I think they built the Rick/Michonne relationship very deeply emotionally starting with Season 3 and especially Season 4. It was practically a love song when they arrive at Alexandria and she coaxes him to go in. The physicality was there but was always secondary to me in terms of the intense emotional intimacy - that's why I bought the shift, even coming where it did.

I wasn't shipping the idea of Richonne, and I hate when posters call her Carl's "real mom", but they've done such a good, patient job of showing how Michonne was drawn to the family. The first vulnerable moment Michonne ever showed is when Beth sort of made her hold Judith. At that time many had been calling her a non-verbal machine, but Judith just broke that facade.

Then it was all about Michonne searching for things for Carl when she was doing her reconnaissances. How she helped him find that old pic of Lori, obstensibly for Judith, but really for Carl.

And then when the prison fell, and Michonne lost all hope - it was Carl and the hope of finding him that gave her purpose. And that look on her face when she peeked in that window and saw them ...... It tears me up a little right now. Then when they heard someone at the door - the relief on Rick's face when he told Carl, "it's for you", was everything.

And while some think Michonne is too good for Rick, well I don't think she feels that way. She felt deeply for Andrea, and I think it was Carl who helped her get over that, along with the loss of Andre (just noticing the almost identical names). And it was the hope of finding Carl that motivated her to keep going after the prison fell. And it was Carl she told about her own child.

I personally don't think Michonne was romantically interested in Rick (or vice versa), before they reached Alexandria. It was mutual trust and respect, and then living together as a family, that built that intimacy. And I like that it's s very realistic scenario. Unlike the Jessie thing.

• Love 6
(edited)

Exactly. Michonne is an alpha woman in a nihilistic world. She is a attracted to an alpha male. What she gets from Rick seems clear to me. She gets a man who will give everything that he has to protect his children and the people he considers his family. Mike was a loving father who couldn't do what Rick does. She watched Rick bite out a man's throat to save his son and then knife the man who attempted to rape him to death and didn't look away for a second. I love Michonne and while she is more mentally stable than Rick, I have always thought that she can be just as ruthless a killer when the situation warrants it. When Rick was slicing through Gareth's face, Michonne was right there bashing in the Termite woman's head with that gun.

ETA: To be clear, this is my answer to what Michonne gets from Rick.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8