Type keyword(s) to search

S28: Previews and Speculation

• Start Topic

Via Facebook, (irony perhaps,) I stumbled upon the "Meet the Racers," pictures for Season 28.  Is today April 1st, and everyone changed the calendars?  This is an eff-in' joke, right?

If these famewhores^2 are truly the upcoming cast, then I find myself already dreading this season more than I did the "Blind Date," season.

• Love 2

Via Facebook, (irony perhaps,) I stumbled upon the "Meet the Racers," pictures for Season 28.  Is today April 1st, and everyone changed the calendars?  This is an eff-in' joke, right?

If these famewhores^2 are truly the upcoming cast, then I find myself already dreading this season more than I did the "Blind Date," season.

No, this is the time of year the Race starts IRL for the next season. The timing of the cast announcement is weird, but I can think of several reasons why CBS might have done it this way.

We'll be starting the team threads when the need seems to arise. It could be awfully confusing to have them concurrent with the TAR 27 team threads, however. 

I'll play devil's advocate for a second. While the social media tie-ins is hella gimmicky, the actual make up of the eleven teams is pretty interesting. Having more Parent-child teams than dating couples to start is kind of mind-blowing and intriguing.

We also get some eye candy both ways, which is always a nice bonus.

I've noticed that they've abandoned last season's selfie-mania this season, but I can only imagine it will be back in full force next year with this bunch of narcissistic famewhores.

Edited by J-Man
  • Love 2

It looks like Blair (of the father-daughter team) and the "teen heartthrob" from the last pair might be the youngest ever non-family edition TAR competitors. I wonder if the fact that they are running the race w/ a parent was the reason the age minimum was able to be waived...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

It looks like Blair (of the father-daughter team) and the "teen heartthrob" from the last pair might be the youngest ever non-family edition TAR competitors. I wonder if the fact that they are running the race w/ a parent was the reason the age minimum was able to be waived...

There both over 18. Blair is 22 and Cole is 19, so just the TAR age requirement of 21 would have to have been waived for Cole but he is still legally an adult.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

^^ You missed the epic opening number of the UCLA marching band performing the TAR theme!! For me, that was worth it for the whole season right there! (it was a pretty bad season after the premiere admittedly)

Edited by TheRabbi

The only thing that interests me about the upcoming season (it certainly isn't the hook of SM-savvy teams) is it looks like they will get Phil's "Race safe...GO!" instructions separately rather than as a group. Unless I am totally misinterpreting what I saw.

ETA: Also, mud pits are never not fun. They're almost as good as animals!

Edited by Quilt Fairy

The only thing that interests me about the upcoming season (it certainly isn't the hook of SM-savvy teams) is it looks like they will get Phil's "Race safe...GO!" instructions separately rather than as a group. Unless I am totally misinterpreting what I saw.

Nope, you're correct - it'll be just like Big Brother premieres when all the contestants each find a key to the BB House delivered to their own home.

Edited by Supay

I'm willing to give it a chance. They've had some YouTubers on in the past who weren't terrible, and frankly better this than shoehorning yet more Survivor or Big Brother cast members onto the show.

My only wish is that they'd expanded it to podcasters, so we could have gotten Cecil and Carlos from 'Welcome to Night Vale' on there. :)

Frankly, this is the first time I've ever outright considered skipping a season.  I guess maybe I'm just an old fuddyduddy, but I don't get the obsession with 
"social media" and people constantly trying to be famous.  I guess this is their big dream, they "hit it big" and got cast on TAR.  Ugh.  I hated that team of "YouTube Sensations", Joey and somebody, from several seasons ago.  I hated that 15 year old "blogger" on Dancing with the Stars this season.  And I of course loathed "YouTube Sensation" Justin from this season.

Why the obsession with people who want to be famous?  This makes me miss when ordinary people had a chance to make it on to this show, or even when they cast attractive AMWs (actor/model/whatevers) that they found on the street.

• Love 5

Color me naive (and I'm perfectly willing to eat crow if necessary), but I really don't think the doomsday proclamations about next season will come to pass. I say this as admittedly a Joey and Megan fan (particularly Megan) who would be the one team from TAR history with the most commonalities to all of these teams.

More than being famous for the sake of being famous, the dancers, the Vine Brothers who do parkour/free running, and the frisbee players (I mean how lucrative is professional frisbee?) use social media and the internet to provide themselves secondary streams of income so they can keep from needing to get "real jobs" in the immortal words of PhD-Dad.

The Clevver girls are simply reporters. Like an online version of K&J, or the TMZ girls, the Rooster Teeth duo have been doing podcasts and other online content before it was really a thing, and the Instagram Models are just models. It's not like models or wannabe models are particularly a new thing as TAR is concerned.

Additionally, we're still going to get interesting parent/child dynamics from three other teams. 

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

Aside from All Star seasons that include the cowboys, I always watch the first episode and usually get pretty deep into the series before losing interest. While the show doesn't intrigue me nearly as much as it once did, by its very nature it has potential.

So I'll watch the first episode and hope for the best. I do like parent/child teams, so I'm hoping those will prove interesting.

• Love 1

Aside from All Star seasons that include the cowboys, I always watch the first episode and usually get pretty deep into the series before losing interest. While the show doesn't intrigue me nearly as much as it once did, by its very nature it has potential.

So I'll watch the first episode and hope for the best. I do like parent/child teams, so I'm hoping those will prove interesting.

Um, even Unfinished Business, which some informally count as the second of three All-Star editions?

(Let's see whether Tyler Oakley's effect on this season will become the analogue of Frankie Grande's on BB16.)

I don't remember whether I watched Unfinished Business or not, as I haven't bothered to develop an encyclopedic knowledge of all things TAR. I do know I've only seen the cowboys in their initial season, and that was by choice.

• Love 1

Wow...this is pretty much guaranteeing I won't be watching that season.

Frankly, this is the first time I've ever outright considered skipping a season.  I guess maybe I'm just an old fuddyduddy, but I don't get the obsession with 

"social media" and people constantly trying to be famous.  I guess this is their big dream, they "hit it big" and got cast on TAR.  Ugh.  I hated that team of "YouTube Sensations", Joey and somebody, from several seasons ago.  I hated that 15 year old "blogger" on Dancing with the Stars this season.  And I of course loathed "YouTube Sensation" Justin from this season.

Why the obsession with people who want to be famous?  This makes me miss when ordinary people had a chance to make it on to this show, or even when they cast attractive AMWs (actor/model/whatevers) that they found on the street.

Ugh, I just saw the cast list.  TAR: Famewhore Edition?  Really?  I'm seriously considering skipping this bottom of the barrel season.

Yeah, the occasional explicit famewhore in each season was always the most irritating part for me. An entire cast of explicit famewhores? I'm leaning towards skipping it as well. I might check the first episode to see if anyone defies my expectations, but I'm not hopeful.

I have watched every episode of TAR, ever.  And I'm going to watch the entire forthcoming season.  But I fully expect to hate every single one of the teams, because, well, they are fame-seeking YouTube assholes, every one.

• Love 1

I haven't checked the TAR YouTube page in ages. How soon should I expect commercials for upcoming episodes?

The only person I knew going into this season is Tyler, and that's only from his commercials for YouTube. He doesn't strike me as a media whore. I'm willing to give these people a chance, even if I know some of them will wind up letting me down. If we don't get another Logan & Chris, I'd consider that a victory.

Going back to the very first season preview, one image stood out in particular:

TAR2800080_zpsj9tzkg93.jpg

Could this task be an informal Switchback to the filleting challenge used on the second season of the Canadian edition's Tofino episode?

tarep2-1.jpg.jpg

From the CBS link.

"THE RACE CONTINUES IN COLUMBIA, WHERE CLAUSTROPHOBIA COULD PREVENT A RACER FROM GOING DEEP INTO THE CATACOMBS TO RETRIEVE THEIR NEXT CLUE, ON “THE AMAZING RACE,” FRIDAY, FEB. 26"

Oh well.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

So this is the first season I've not watched TAR.  I just couldn't deal with the idea of the whole cast being social media stars.  One or two is okay.  I deal with it, but seriously, the whole cast?  What happened to ordinary people contestants?  Or if you are going to do a group of people, why not teachers, or  anything but people who just want to ham it up?  There are entertaining people from all walks of life not just in the media. Will there ever be another TAR without stunt casting? Grrrr!

That being said, I'm missing Phil and traveling around the world. Is it worth me giving a try? I'm tempted to at least try it but I feel like I'm contributing to the demise of the show if I do! Anyone watching who had similar thoughts? Should I give it a try?

The bad news: Yes...some of the teams are loud/screechy and camera seekers...but probably no worse than some past seasons.  The good news:  we have no totally athletic teams that are bound to blow through the physical challenges, no totally repellant teams (see last year).  I'm actually liking a few teams who do seem to be smart, relatively drama-free, and decent to each other and the locals.

I say give it a try...look at the 3 legs already televised...and go from there.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 1

I agree. These people are all on social media, but not all in the same ways (as I understand it -- I don't watch any of their stuff). Some have other jobs as well, and the social media is an extension of that. It's not like they are all actors -- and there have been plenty of actors and wannabe actors in the past. They've just been tagged as something else. I think these people are pretty ordinary, really.

• Love 1

That seems to be the correct episode title. Maybe there was an adjustment?

Water slide . . . is this a Switchback to the time where (hitting Wikipedia) Mika freaked the hell out?

ETA: Here are the leg averages after eight episodes:

2.00 Brodie/Kurt

2.88 Tyler/Kody

3.50 Burnie/Ashley

3.50 Dana/Matt

4.50 Zach/Rachel

6.88 Sheri/Cole

I don't think there's a huge gap between the lead teams and the middle of the pack. Sheri & Cole, on the other hand, should have been eliminated by now. Looking at the board, I can't see them finishing a leg in the front of the pack once.

• Love 1

Sheri & Cole, on the other hand, should have been eliminated by now. Looking at the board, I can't see them finishing a leg in the front of the pack once.

With all NELs/TBCs used up and only six teams remaining, one might guess the opposite depending upon the definition of "front of the pack" during these last four legs: is it Top 2 or Top 3 for this upcoming episode and the one immediately after, leg winner only or 2nd place included for the penultimate round, and anything but 3rd during the finale?

(Seeing as the #Sweet Scientists' and #TruckStopLove's F4 reprieves failed to carry over to the ditzy brunette NYC cheerleaders, it's safe to assume unspoiled-wise that it will be F3 again.)

"Ditzy"?

I got the leg averages after nine episodes. The figures in parentheses are the averages after the best and worst placements were removed.

2.33 (2.14) Brodie/Kurt

2.67 (2.43) Tyler/Korey

3.33 (3.14) Burnie/Ashley

3.56 (3.71) Dana/Matt

4.67 (4.57) Zach/Rachel

6.44 (6.57) Sheri/Cole

"Ditzy"?

How else would one describe a pair of women who thought Rotterdam was in Germany and Hong Kong in Japan?

Cheers to the Red Team for getting their first podium finish! It will hopefully only go up from here on out!