Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

I love hush puppies!

And catfish.  So glad she got to see totality.  I wouldn't have held it against her if it was a last minute trip either.  Her grief will always be with her in some form, but she has a right to enjoy life again and not miss out on a very rare experience.

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Hush puppies are small, savory, deep-fried balls or elongated lumps of cornmeal-based batter. I haven't had one since the 1970s, but loved them then. Typically the cornmeal is finely ground, so they are not dry like coarse-grained cornbread & muffins

Edited by Denize
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, Denize said:

Hush puppies are small, savory, deep-fried balls or elongated lumps of cornmeal-based batter. I haven't had one since the 1970s, but loved them then. Typically the cornmeal is finely ground, so they are not dry like coarse-grained cornbread & muffins

The hush puppies I’ve had are sprinkled with powdered sugar, so sweet and savory!  So good, usually eaten with something fried.

• Like 2

I guess Garrisons birthday was yesterday.  Janelle posted a sweet message about it on Instagram.  Don't know how to share it here or I would. 

• Like 7

Is that 5 candles + 5 candles for 55?  Are those coconut "worms" on top of chocolate "soil" for a garden motif? 😜

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2

IMG_6746.jpeg

Mother’s Day, Grief and Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Mother’s Day was surprisingly emotional for me.  It just never has been a big holiday for me.  My children have always shown up for me and made me feel special everyday.  Especially since they became independent adults and weren’t home all the time.  

But this year was different 

All weekend I felt the grief so close to the surface.  And it was especially poignant when I made this simple pie. Our strawberry picking excursion combined with the fact that I randomly found rhubarb at the local farmers market made it feel like this pie was destined.  

Strawberry Rhubarb is a huge favorite at our house and maybe no one loved it more than Garrison. And that made this pie a little bitter sweet.  

I love you honey and miss you every day

• Sad 15
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

IMG_6746.jpeg

Mother’s Day, Grief and Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Mother’s Day was surprisingly emotional for me.  It just never has been a big holiday for me.  My children have always shown up for me and made me feel special everyday.  Especially since they became independent adults and weren’t home all the time.  

But this year was different 

All weekend I felt the grief so close to the surface.  And it was especially poignant when I made this simple pie. Our strawberry picking excursion combined with the fact that I randomly found rhubarb at the local farmers market made it feel like this pie was destined.  

Strawberry Rhubarb is a huge favorite at our house and maybe no one loved it more than Garrison. And that made this pie a little bitter sweet.  

I love you honey and miss you every day

That pie looks delicious. That post is heartbreaking. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 2
On 5/21/2024 at 6:19 AM, Orcinus orca said:

Every "first after it happened" holiday will be hard.

Yes.  However Mother’s Day isn’t going to be any easier for her next year.    She has to celebrate it because she has five other children who want to do so- but it will always be a dimmer day than it would be otherwise.    Our younger son has been gone over a year, and this Mother’s Day wasn’t any better for me than last year. 

• Hugs 12