Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: The Mattress

• Start Topic

Jake and Amy convince the Captain to let them work a case together involving a new street drug, but their new relationship gets in the way. Meanwhile, at the precinct, Charles panics when he realizes he’s damaged one of Holt’s prized possessions and Terry teaches Rosa a lesson in discipline.

Good on Jake for telling Boyle to back off on the shipping, and good on Boyle for heeding that advice. To a point, Jake still told him about the fight.

Of course Jake would spend twice as much money on getting Mr. Met for his birthday party than on a mattress.

Gina was really funny this week. And totally like her to spend $14 on a cupcake.

• Love 3

This episode I really liked.  The past few have not really caught my attention.  There were 3-4 parts I rewound to watch at and laugh again.

After Gina did her demonstration and proved Captain Holt wrong, and then left the room, Charles saying "You're a good Captain" and his A-OK hand gesture made me laugh more than anything else in the episode.  

I loved the mattress testing montage set to Lil Jon's Get Low.  This show used to do great montages like that -- remember Jake in that oversize white suit when he was undercover with Craig Robinson's character?  It might have been to LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out.  

Boyle:  Guys, I've discovered a new drug myself, and it's your relationship, and it's getting me high.

I rewatched I Love You Man (2009) this weekend.  Samberg and Joe Lo Truglio played friends in it!  Paul Rudd or Rashida Jones should guest on the show.  Lots of comedy people in that one - Thomas Lennon, Aziz Ansari, Jason Segel, etc.

Santiago:  I love being in this mattress.

Salesman:  And the mattress loves you in it.

Jake:  God?

Salesman:  It's Brian.

When Scully (?) ate his own goldfish, did Jake freak out because he didn't want the fish to die?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

No he freaked out because he lost his chance to get a pool going about which idiotic mistake they would make first.

I love this show.

Amy and Jake are PERFECT.

Jake:  Smooshing booties?  Holt:  yes that's exactly how I was going to end that sentence. Bwahahahaha

• Love 5
When Scully (?) ate his own goldfish, did Jake freak out because he didn't want the fish to die?

I think it was because it was a scenario he didn't see coming. Come on, Scully and Hitchcock aren't dumb enough to put fish food in lemonade. Okay, maybe Scully. (Hitchcock was the one that drank the fish)

(ETA: and what Mama No Life said)

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

No he freaked out because he lost his chance to get a pool going about which idiotic mistake they would make first.

I would say it's because the outcome was neither of the two he had predicted (which would have been the only two in the pool).

I thought this episode was a winner all around, except for Holt (a) parking in such a slovenly way and (b) being so oblivious/uncaring about it.

• Love 3

Gina usually rubs me the wrong way, but I really liked how she tried to warn Charles in the beginning, then twisted Holt's words later on so he would realize that he was in the wrong.  I've been in that situation and it sucks.  I'm glad that she butted her nose in for once.

Jake and Amy are such a great couple.

Of course Rosa's ballet teacher was a monster.  I lol'd so hard when she called Rosa an ox.

Never change, Terry.

• Love 3

I thought Holt's attitude this episode in the sideplot with Charles was bizarrely out-of-character.

I didn't care for this story for that exact reason.

Jake and Amy are so adorable together. I like Jake and Holt's talks. I do miss Kevin though. I want him to show up again soon.

• Love 2
Never change, Terry.

"Dammit, Terry proved the wrong point!"

I don't see Holt saying sherbert instead of the correct sherbet, either.

That's the one thing that really rubbed me the wrong way. (Especially since the closed captioning spelled it as sherbet)

• Love 1

I liked how two of the plotlines connected and we found out why "Gertie" means so much to Captain Holt. I'm going to excuse his acting a little out of character in regards to it, was because of his sentimental feelings about it.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

This episode was disappointing in that, for the first time ever, I was able to correctly predict the outcomes of every plot line.  The great thing about this show is how surprising it can be; not this time.  The mattress argument and resolution; the perp who got away at the hotel during the fight; the shoplifting "little brother"; the car incident.

I hope things get back to normal next week.

A much better episode than last week. Probably because it didn't physically separate half the cast from the other half for the entire episode. I find that the energy is never quite right when they do that.

The cold open with Hitchcock drinking his own goldfish was great. Just the best use of Scully and Hitchcock, little moments like that where you can't fathom how they survive day to day life.

Amy and Jake are being written really well. They're sweet and warm and their friendship is still fully intact, despite them now being in a romantic relationship. They're supportive and they make efforts to communicate and seem to genuinely enjoy spending time together. Imagine that, TV writers!

I love that Amy makes sure to send HR daily updates and BCC them in to all emails. So perfectly her. And the uncomfortable bed is one of the mundane, normal relationship issues that can cause tension and lead to petty fights (however, having heard about Jake's apartment, I can't believe that they're not spending every night at Amy's). There's always going to be that clash of Jake's whimsy and Amy's practicality. But they clearly care about each other enough to compromise and both do things to make the other happy.

The gag about Jake's cover making him invisible was brilliant. And I love how Amy finds sensible packing and syntax sexy. Because of course she does.

Rosa as a Big Sister was a nice development. I can actually see her going in for that sort of thing, despite her tough, no-nonsense persona. She always works really well with Terry, too. 

I simply don't believe Captain Holt would ever park his car in such a haphazard, irregular fashion. No way that wouldn't be perfectly parallel to the lines, with an equal space on each side.

• Love 4

Yeah, this being a sitcom, I"m use to hand-waving things and just enjoying the show, but I really found it hard to believe that Holt is a person who would be an awful parker like that.  I get that they were going for the idea that Gertrude is "special", so Holt might not think the rules apply to the car and they needed to have a way to have Boyle in the right, but I just still couldn't buy it.  Holt certainly isn't a perfect person, but I wish they found another way to make him wrong against Boyle.  And, of course, it ended up being Gina who saved the day.  No surprise there.

The Jake and Amy stuff was fun enough, at least.  I was wondering when they were going to get their first fight, and I figured it would be during a case, but I liked that it helped them get stronger.  Plus, I totally would buy that Jake would be that testy over getting rid of his mattress, because he's shown before that he is kind of holds on to stuff, and seems to struggle with change.  It was a bit too pat that the episode ended with them finding the suspect again though.  I guess they felt it would have been too much to have the case blown because of their argument/relationship.

Loved the Terry/Rosa stuff: especially them calling back to her ballerina days.  I love how giddy Terry gets whenever he learns something new about Rosa.

Not my favorite episode, but still a few laugh out loud moments.  I loved how Holt looked so stunned that Jake didn't know who Will Schultz was, and how excited he was when the matchboxes were codes ("I will get my pencil case"), and angry he was when Amy cracked it.  Even when he doesn't react much, Andre Braugher can always show you what Holt is exactly thinking and feeling.

• Love 1

Things that made me laugh:

Boyle singing "Charles in Charge" in the parking lot.

Amy pointing out her surveillance position in "the underboob".

Jake to the drug dealer, who wants Amy to try Taxi:  Read the room Devon.

Terry's shocked face to "This isn't Cagney calling Lacey a poopy head."

Jake talking to Brian: "God?"

Charles being "high" on their relationship.

Holt's look of disgust when Amy solved the riddle.

Holt saying "Smooshing booties" and Jake saying "Thank you for saying it that way. That made both of us super comfortable."

Terry doesn't like bathroom humor.

Terry proved the wrong point.

Things that made me awwww:

Jake and Amy holding hands on the mattress in the showroom.

Jake calling Amy "Ames".

Gina helping Charles with the captain.

Holt helping Jake with Amy.

• Love 5

I thought Holt's attitude this episode in the sideplot with Charles was bizarrely out-of-character.

I didn't mind it so much because it showed a different side to Holt; kind of like the relationship with Wunsch, he can be petty and irrational too. I found it a little refreshing. And he came around in the end and realized he was in the wrong, so I was ok with it.

Also, him questioning Amy's choice of Jake as a partner because he didn't know who the puzzle king was made me howl. Because of course that would be a dealbreaker.

I really love how this show, just like P&R, can rotate the cast through all sorts of combinations and still consistently be funny. I also love all the male/female friendships that exist without hammering in the point that it's so unusual. So refreshing.

Whomever posted in an earlier ep thread that Andy Samberg's haircut was doing him all manner of favours? Yes. Yes it is.

That man can also rock the smitten look. That final scene in the car with Amy when he indicates that he wants to commit to her by buying the mattress? Oh yes.

Was I the only one wondering why they never considered (A) just sleeping at Amy's, or (B) sharing the cost of the mattress together?

I do have to agree with Amy though: our mattress was quite expensive but I fucking love my bed. Downside? I never want to leave it. :(

• Love 4

Holt's response to Jake not knowing who Will Shortz is made me laugh so hard, I had to rewind to fully appreciate Santiago's expression after Holt asks "Is this really who you want to be with?"

On the one hand, I super-value my sleep and appreciate the importance of a good mattress.  On the other hand, they are very expensive and Jake is notoriously broke.  On the third hand, if he's willing to go into debt for such idiotic things, he shouldn't balk at going into debt to get a good night's sleep.  On a fourth hand, for a man with four vibrating chairs, you'd think he'd take his sleep comfort more seriously.

I also wondered about them sleeping at Jake's rather than Amy's -- Jake lives at Gina's former apartment which is a shithole and he is a child with no food or cleaning products in his house, so there's almost no way to fankwank that Amy would agree to sleep there.  However, splitting the purchase of such an expensive and personal furniture item would be a huge step -- Jake's finances and incredibly poor spending decisions seem like they could be the real dealbreaker.  Can you imagine trying to split housing costs with that guy?

Edited by dusang

Was I the only one wondering why they never considered (A) just sleeping at Amy's, or (B) sharing the cost of the mattress together?

No, I was wondering about sleeping at Amy's too. It makes no sense for them to ever sleep at Jake's, not just because of the mattress, but also his super gross apartment. Why wouldn't they want to be at Amy's?

• Love 2
On 11/17/2015 at 7:35 AM, NoWillToResist said:

I didn't mind it so much because it showed a different side to Holt; kind of like the relationship with Wunsch, he can be petty and irrational too. I found it a little refreshing. And he came around in the end and realized he was in the wrong, so I was ok with it.

Also, him questioning Amy's choice of Jake as a partner because he didn't know who the puzzle king was made me howl. Because of course that would be a dealbreaker.

I really love how this show, just like P&R, can rotate the cast through all sorts of combinations and still consistently be funny. I also love all the male/female friendships that exist without hammering in the point that it's so unusual. So refreshing.

Whomever posted in an earlier ep thread that Andy Samberg's haircut was doing him all manner of favours? Yes. Yes it is.

That man can also rock the smitten look. That final scene in the car with Amy when he indicates that he wants to commit to her by buying the mattress? Oh yes.

I do have to agree with Amy though: our mattress was quite expensive but I fucking love my bed. Downside? I never want to leave it. :(

Hahah yeah people will only love their bed if it is comfortable. Other then that forget it!

On 11/15/2015 at 9:26 PM, nerdyduck said:

I didn't care for this story for that exact reason.

Jake and Amy are so adorable together. I like Jake and Holt's talks here . I do miss Kevin though. I want him to show up again soon.

Me neither. I feel the same way about Jake and Amy, they are truly so adorable it's crazy.