Type keyword(s) to search

Season One: Looking Back At The Complicated Lives of the Pfeffermans

kieyra

I just binged several episodes and I'm not sure how many, so I'll just avoid spoilery stuff.

I will say that I wish there was significantly more focus on Dad and that they pulled way back from the kids, and WAY back from Gaby Hoffman. I know her whole thing is that she plays characters that make people uncomfortable, and I try to resist knee-jerk disliking her work for that reason, but I feel it would be better in small doses. Someone said in an episode thread that the role is different from her work on Girls, but it's basically the same character, just less psychosis. I.e., it's Gaby Hoffman. Right down to a meta scene involving three people getting a makeover in a department store and Gaby refusing to let them groom her eyebrows or put eye makeup on her.

But they're not giving me enough of Dad, and his transition which is the point of the title.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 4

I like Gabby Hoffman's character. I like all of the children - well, maybe 'like' isn't the word - I like watching them and their struggles. 

That said, I do wish the season over-all had been a little more Maura focused. I definitely get that this is a show about the Pfeffermans, not just Maura (and it stronger for it), but I hope we get a re-balancing in season two.   

• Love 1

It seems towards the middle of the season we start getting more Maura. I'm getting a little less twitchy about Gaby/Ali, although midway through the season it feels like she's giving us Hannah Horvath at 30.

I could still just watch a whole show about Maura and Davina.

• Love 3

Maura appears to be doing great. She is the most grounded of all the family members. She was there for them her whole life, ignoring her identity for them, and they are all being such selfish, using jerks in one way or the other. I think this will have to be about their transformation, not Maura's. She already knows what's important and what's not. I love her!

• Love 1
(edited)

I just finished episode ten. I can't believe more people aren't talking about this show yet. Jesus. I feel like I'm hanging out waiting for the inevitable buzz to happen. I don't even know where to start posting, the show basically caused me to have all the feelings ever.

Edit: went over to avclub forums since not a lot of discussion is happening here yet. I saw a lot of reactions like my initial one upthread ("More Maura, less kids please"). But they seemed to be coming from a place of "these people are all unlikeable", which is not really where I was coming from--I just wanted to see MORE of Maura (and, ok, less of Gaby Hoffman). By the end I was invested in all their stories, although Ali was still a cipher at best, Hannah Horvath without the "writer" drive at worst...but that made Maura's final smack down of her feel so earned and so satisfying.

Her "why did you let me cancel my bat mitzvah?" freak out resonated with me in a very uncomfortable way--I also had parents who were completely absent and hands-off (and, ok, on drugs), and there are a lot of dumb things I did, under 18, that it would have been nice to have someone say "no" to once in a while.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 6
I just finished episode ten. I can't believe more people aren't talking about this show yet. Jesus. I feel like I'm hanging out waiting for the inevitable buzz to happen. I don't even know where to start posting, the show basically caused me to have all the feelings ever.

I agree with you here.  I actually watched the whole series last weekend and found it fascinating in so many ways, but there's just nobody around to talk about it with.  Even my couple of friends who are aware of it and intend to watch it haven't done so yet.  I'm surprised at how few posts there are in all the threads here.  

And I don't really feel like I can participate in the episode threads so much because having binge-watched the whole series I don't necessarily know what happened in which episode.  

I think all of the characters are interesting, though Ali's so all over the place that I had trouble latching onto her story at all.  But all of the characters are a really great mix of sympathetic but deeply flawed.  I found myself rooting for happiness for all the members of the family, but also feeling really annoyed with each of them at some point or another.  I did find the show on the whole was slightly less focused on Maura than I'd expected it to be, but I guess in the end it's about her family as much as it is about her.  

• Love 2

I saw the pilot awhile back but binge watched the rest of the season last night. I wrote some in the 'Best New Girl' episode thread so I'll try not to repeat myself here except I loved the friendship of Mort/Maura and Mark/Marcie. That resonated for me on so many levels, especially bringing back those early, early online years.

I love the friendship between Maura and Davina, especially since it's in no way television perfect. I know we don't know all that much yet about Davina but the fact that she lost all of her family (parents? siblings? partner? children?) and was quick to tell Maura to more or less forget about her kids after they didn't stay for her whole number at the LGBT Trans Talent show (I forget it's official title) is telling and that she has her own issues and, just like anyone can, was quick to 'project' on Maura. Also, loved that Maura stood her ground and didn't just go out with the gals to drown her sorrows.

I was so touched by the whole Crossdresser's Retreat and especially Bradley Whitford's Mark/Marcie. Like all the acting in this series (and how rare is that?) it's spot on and very (and I know I keep using this word) touching.

I haven't been this moved and involved by a television series since 'Enlightened' but this one goes much deeper for me.

It'll be interesting to see if it gets Golden Globe and Emmy nominations. I can't imagine it not getting them but, you never know.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'd speculated in one of the episode threads, before I'd seen the whole run, that perhaps we would find out Mark/Marcie committed suicide, since we never see him/her outside of flashback. However, I wrote that before I saw the episode with the possible disconnect between Mark and Maura about being a transvestite vs. being transgender. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to take from those scenes that Mark and Maura really were different, or that Mark was just in deep denial. If the former, Mark could be out of the picture because of that disconnect, or if the latter I suppose he may still turn out to be dead. I guess we don't know yet, unless I missed something.

I also appreciated the way they showed the different strata along the gender-identity spectrum, the way the self-proclaimed transvestites acted like going any further (hormones, or, gasp, transitioning full time) was just weird and something to be actively shunned. There is still that same level of stratification now (see: transgender activists vs. drag queens, a battle that got very very nasty online earlier this year).

Edited by maraleia
edited transgendered to transgender per correct terminology
  • Love 3

I also appreciated the way they showed the different strata along the gender-identity spectrum, the way the self-proclaimed transvestites acted like going any further (hormones, or, gasp, transitioning full time) was just weird and something to be actively shunned. There is still that same level of stratification now (see: transgender activists vs. drag queens, a battle that got very very nasty online earlier this year).

I feel the same. Many times within the marriage between a crossdresser and his wife, part of the negotiation is that there is no talk of hormones or transitioning. Even Helen Boyd (My Husband Betty and She's Not The Man I Married) who is pretty hip politically drew this line in her marriage with 'Betty' (who I think has now transitioned and is living full time as Rachel).

I was lucky enough to be able to go to NYC last Spring and see Harvey Fierstein's new play Casa Valentina (based on the real life Casa Susanna) that takes place at a similar summer resort as Transparent's Camp Camilla. The play takes place in 1962 though and is about the early years of the forming a national group for Crossdressers. The founder of the group (Charlotte in the play, based on real life founder Virginia Prince) felt strongly that including the wives of the crossdressers was vital and that's why it was restricted (well officially) to heterosexual crossdressers (no gay men or transsexuals). It was to reassure (as much as was possible,especially back then) the wife that her husband was not doing this because he was secretly gay or wanted to actually have a 'sex change' (to use a now antiquated term).

I'd speculated in one of the episode threads, before I'd seen the whole run, that perhaps we would find out Mark/Marcie committed suicide, since we never see him/her outside of flashback. However, I wrote that before I saw the episode with the possible disconnect between Mark and Maura about being a transvestite vs. being transgender.

I strongly felt this as well. I'm hoping that it was just that they realized they were on separate paths and began to drift apart but ... I don't know. Mark/Marcie just feels like maybe s/he does feel the same way but doesn't have the courage (and believe me, I'm not judging here) to completely come out and transition. Even with Maura, we see Mort/Maura coming out more in '94 but then, what went on in the next twenty years before we meet her in 2014?

• Love 2

Just finished episode 10. What a brilliant, complex, beautifully-acted, beautifully-written, funny, sad, touching, unique series! One of the best things I've ever watched.

• Love 3

Ali is the Pfefferman I understood the most because of her relationship with Ed. She just so comes from a just slightly younger place than the other kids did so the dynamic she expects is slightly different.

I really would like to know where Mark/Marcy is now.

He probably won't because Amazon but Tambor earned the Emmy here.

• Love 1

I like Gabby Hoffman's character. I like all of the children - well, maybe 'like' isn't the word - I like watching them and their struggles. 

That said, I do wish the season over-all had been a little more Maura focused. I definitely get that this is a show about the Pfeffermans, not just Maura (and it stronger for it), but I hope we get a re-balancing in season two.   

I agree 100% with this. I'd prefer more scenes with Maura and Davina, but I am invested in the other family members' stories. Just not as much as Maura's journey.

For a relatively quiet and nuanced show, it manages to tell stories at a pretty rapid pace, which is really impressive. Most of the people on this show aren't likable, but more often than not they're called out for their flawed behavior, so it feels more like we're watching an actual character arc for these people than just shitty people getting away with bad behavior.

• Love 4

they're not giving me enough of Dad, and his transition which is the point of the title.

I don't feel like that, including "the point of the title" -- because to me "trans-parent" is equally about the perception of Maura as a parent, i.e. the children's point of view. So I want just as much of them, and I'm getting it. (I do want more Shelly though, because, I mean, Judith Light!) I'm fascinated and gripped watching these people, and I look forward to eventually getting more.

• Love 3

I just finished it and loved it. One of my favorite shows of the year for sure- the exploration of gender, identity, sexuality, the fluidness of all of it anyway, it's just beautifully fascinating. And I usually can't stand self-centered characters, but with this show I'm totally interested in every one of them! All the family members and their various partners, etc. The cast has great chemistry.

Question about Tammy and Sarah though. Were Sarah and Len not married? Did they actually mention anything about a divorce? Seems like she and Tammy are now getting married awfully fast, unless more time is passing in between episodes than I thought.

I too really liked the first season of this show, but wanted more Maura, and 100% less scenes of gabby hoffman acting out sexually.  Thankfully GH's story arc seemed to veer very far away from that by the last episode, so hopefully there will be change in the second season.  And maybe the show will also come to terms with the fact that yes, it was really sick and wrong for the babysitter to sexually prey on a fifteen year old boy.  A second season that's more Maura centered but also portrays how the rest of the family can use this as an opportunity to successfully heal old wounds would be great.

• Love 3

Just finished the last three episodes. I'm still not really sure what to think of the entire series but I could not stop watching. I found Maura's journey to be very compelling; I could watch Maura and Divina all day. Looking forward to finding out what happened to Mark. The three children are so self-centered but I give points to Sarah for being so supportive of Maura. Would like to see more Shelley - especially how she came to be so accepting of Maura. I love Judith Light and think she is doing a tremendous job. During the flashback episode, I was most interested in seeing how Shelley learned of Maura's visit to the camp and then dealt with Maura's new life. I can understand how Ali turned out to be the way that she is but a little goes a long way. I really liked Josh and the Rabbi and couldn't believe that Ali blew that up for him. Will be very interesting to see how Colton (thank you, Jesus) blends into this Jewish family. Will he make Josh grow up?

I'm recovering from a post-surgery infection before I have to have another surgery, so I decided to try this show out. I'm so glad I did. I watched four episodes, then waited until the next day and rewatched all of those episodes and finished the series a couple hours ago with my wife. Jeffrey Tambor was completely brilliant as Maura. I really wasn't sure what to expect of this show, or how it would show the trans community. I have quite a few trans friends and acquaintances, whose coming out ages range from teenagers to their fifties. I thought it hit every note magnificently, and was very respectful of the trans community. I love Maura, I love Davina, and I really, really love Shelly.

I must say, their kids are pretty awful though. Particularly Ali. It seemed like they were in a contest to see who would come out as the biggest asshole. Sarah was most accepting and protective of Maura, but she was a really selfish human being. I could write an essay on how offputting Josh was. But Ali is someone I just wanted to smack whenever she was on screen. I loved how she blamed the cancelling of the Bat Mitzvah on Maura, even though it was her fucking idea. Did it make it convenient for Maura? Of course it did, but it wasn't Maura's plan, it was Ali's, and Ali was the one who brought it up and started the cancellation talk. And as for the "why would you let a 13-year-old make that decision" bullshit, let me tell you something. My family is Catholic. When I was thirteen, I started going to public school and the parents wanted me to take RCIA classes so I could get confirmed. I told them no, absolutely not, despite my brother and his friends and others in my family saying that I would get a huge party and get a ton of gift money from friends and relatives. My parents finally relented when I told them that if they made me do it, I would stand up there on the altar, tell everyone that they believe in a pack of lies, and that I worship Satan. (I didn't worship Satan, I was just an atheist who found it against my moral principles to do some kind of religious ceremony for gifts and a fucking party.) My Busia, a lifelong Catholic, actually respected me for not standing up and lying in her church for financial gain and attention, something a lot of other 13-year-olds wouldn't even think about. That was fifteen years ago, and it hasn't derailed my entire life.  I was allowed to stand my ground, even was a teenager, and I turned out okay. Imagine that! Ugh, that pissed me off so much. Grow the fuck up, you petulant brat.

• Love 9
But Ali is someone I just wanted to smack whenever she was on screen. I loved how she blamed the cancelling of the Bat Mitzvah on Maura, even though it was her fucking idea. Did it make it convenient for Maura? Of course it did, but it wasn't Maura's plan, it was Ali's, and Ali was the one who brought it up and started the cancellation talk. And as for the "why would you let a 13-year-old make that decision" bullshit, let me tell you something.

I've rewatched most of the series now, and I find that Ali is the one piece I still don't understand. I also really dislike Gaby Hoffman, which is probably not her fault, but I've only seen her play similar characters and they are all nails-on-chalkboard to me. Especially towards the beginning of the series it almost seems like the show was written around her, not Jeffrey Tambor, and I also found that aggravating. I've tried to analyze why, and I've got nothing. She and Ali just bug the shit out of me. 

That said, I have a slightly different take on the 'why would you let a 13yo make that decision' thing, but I was a victim of absentee parenting so it resonated with me a different way. That may have been the only moment of genuine empathy I shared with the character.

I almost didn't watch this show because I thought they were going to play it for laughs.  My only experience with Jeffrey Tambor was from Arrested Development, and I just couldn't see him in a serious role about a man compelled to transform himself into a woman.  I was so wrong.  He is brilliant in this role and I love the show.

What I like most about Amazon and Netflix produced shows is that they can finally write and portray people without having to bow to self-censorship and an artificial moral code.  It's refreshing to see shows that have nudity, sex, and drug scenes without apology and that advance the action in a realistic way.  I love it.  There has always been a number of topics that just weren't "suitable for public consumption" to talk about honestly on television - we have finally reached a point and a loophole that allows us to do it.  This makes me insanely happy.  Transparent wouldn't make it on network TV, but it's here for us on Amazon Prime.   I don't have cable any more and I haven't for years.  Stuff like this makes me know I made the right choice.

I do have one point.  I was really interested in Ali's date with the trans man.  He blew off her ultimate lack of investment in exploring a relationship due to the phenomenon of curiosity - I actually thought it had more to do with the fact that it would have been more of a BDSM relationship with a dom that just went for it without talking or negotiating, or even getting to know a potential sub before breaking out the commands.  That would have given me a lot more pause than a man with a vagina.

• Love 1

Just had an emergency appendectomy and in my recuperation, binge watched this.  I echo a lot of the previous comments.  I was transfixed and addicted, yet I have to say I don't 'love' any of these characters.  They are likable enough but really are, by and large, a bunch of selfish assholes.  Unlike a lot of you, I really like the Ali character - and this is from somebody who cannot stand Gaby Hoffmann normally!  I thought she did a wonderful job with the character and really brought the material to life.  I like Sarah but her leaping from her married life into 'I love you's with Tammy was nauseating for me, but very real to life.  When you have children, I just don't think you can be so cavalier about your love life but that's just my issue.  The Sarah character overall is very supportive and the heart of the family.  

I really can't stand the Judith Light character... like, I think she's an evil, annoying, babbling shrew.  Am I alone here?

The actors, across the board, are killing it.  And the music choices are amazing.  Looking forward to Season Two!

• Love 1

I agree that all the actors are fantastic. The characters ALL have moments when they are quite insufferable.  Shelly is the most cartoonish I think, but I don't dislike her.  Ali was my least favorite character in the last episode.

Did anyone else notice that the actress playing Tammy in the pilot episode was not Melora Hardin, but someone who looked a lot like Jaime Pressly?

• Love 1

(Whenever anyone Likes one of my early posts in this thread, I cringe at my use of pronouns and "Dad". And I can't edit. But I suppose we mostly saw Maura in her "boy" drag for the first episode or so and perhaps the kids were still saying Dad. Still, apologies.)

• Love 1

Hi all; I'm new to the site, but I have found fellow fans of this show! I'm glad it's receiving the attention and positive reviews it so richly deserves. Some thoughts, after a binge-watch this weekend:

- In Episode 1, the kids are going over to Mort's home with takeout BBQ ribs. They're discussing Mort's love life, and one mentions that Mort has broken up with his girlfriend, Marcy. Another says that this is the latest in a number of Mort's girlfriends named Marcy, and isn't it weird that Mort has dated so many women named Marcy. I really hope that this means that Mort/Maura and Mark/Marcy storyline continues, because both Jeffrey Tambor and Bradley Whitford created such wonderful characters. Watching the two of them onscreen is like a master class in acting.
- I'm pretty sure that Josh got Rabbi Raquel pregnant. This will make for an interesting, almost instant family, which Josh has seemed to want (although when it's convenient for him and on his terms). I also think that Josh's son by Rita, Colton, will stick around in a secondary storyline.
- All three of the kids are total messes, which makes them so infuriating, and interesting to watch. Sarah is rushing into a marriage with Tammy, who is ending her marriage to Barb, and Sarah doesn't seem to be ending things with Len too quickly. Josh is looking for love and a family to love him back, and will take any port in a storm. Ali is a 34-year-old teenager.

• Love 1

I'm confused.  I binge-watched the entire first season some time ago when there was a freebie on Amazon.  I was happy to see all the awards at the Emmys last weekend.  This past weekend there was a $67/yr. special for Amazon Prime so I jumped on it so that I could catch up on Transparent, only to find there have been no new episodes?!?  How does this work, that one show with one season can win Emmys two years in a row?  When will there be new episodes?

Editing to add that I did some research and apparently the show did not win Emmys last year.  Maybe it was the Golden Globes I was thinking of.  Sorry.  I will patiently (try to) await the new season.

Edited by suzeecat

I dont understand the story with Sara she said in a early episode she did not love her husband and they were not having sex at all. Now she is missing him and saying a man cant be replaced? this is not realistic come on please dont do another stupid love triangle with the ex husband.

Also I cant help it but the actor who plays Ali is just so  unattractive.

Edited by spaz1
  • LOL 1

I just watched season 1, and these people make me want to puke. The kids, the mom, that INFANT of a daughter, Ali. I know people are generally fucked up, but this is beyond reason.

Is season 2 worse?

My real question is HTF in this day and age does Josh manage to accidentally (or at least unknowingly) impregnate *four* women?

1 - S1e02, "The Letting Go", Ali asks Josh if he's ever gotten a girl pregnant before, and he says, "That chick Carly."

2 - The context of that conversation is of course the fact that he's found out Kaya is pregnant.

3 - In S1e10 he finds out that 17 years ago Rita had his baby.

4 - In S2e01 we find out that Racquel is pregnant.

OK, maybe Rita decided to get pregnant - but then why tell his parents and accept their help?

Racquel might have been intentional.

It's still a *lot* for one 34yo.

Otther question that plagues  me: what did happen to Kaya? The other two members of Glitterish are now in Fussypuss. So what's happened to her career? Is the price of having an abortion to diisappear off the planet?

• Love 1

I really can't stand the Judith Light character... like, I think she's an evil, annoying, babbling shrew.  Am I alone here?

I'm with you. I find Light's portrayal of Shelly to be too comic and schticky. She's rolled all the stereotypical mannerisms of an older Jewish matriarch together and pitches them X10. It annoys me.

On a related note, how old are she and Maura supposed to be? Light hobbles around and is all hunched over in some scenes as if she is 85 years old.

Just binged through Season 1 and getting ready to dive into Season 2. Plan to motor through it during the anticipated Mid-Atlantic blizzard (as long as the power holds up).

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1

I'm with you. I find Light's portrayal of Shelly to be too comic and schticky. She's rolled all the stereotypical mannerisms of an older Jewish matriarch together and pitches them X10. It annoys me.

Not sure if it's the way the character is written or Judith Light's interpretation, but Shelly is too much of a caricature to be taken seriously.  She's more like my 93 yo father's girlfriend than an aging baby boomer.  

Sundance is running the first year of this show and this is the first time I have seen it, even though it is kinda gross, I love it.  Now I see why it wins awards. Yeah, Light needs to lighten up, nobody acts like that except in Neil Simon movies. This is a great show, can't wait until they show the second season, but I really want to kill those kids, they are all WORTHLESS sex fiends.