Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I'm guessing that this info about Felicity's upcoming love interest probably helps explain Cassidy's assertion that there's nothing between Oliver and Felicity.  Alas, that runs smack dab into the problem that Laurel also had a cute, wealthy love interest not named Oliver at one point - but that didn't, more alas, mean that there was nothing between Oliver and Laurel. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Congratulations to everyone on this board who called for Felicity to have a serious love interest who turns out to be a good guy/superhero after all.  Nightwing was batted around but "Daniel" works just as well. 

Because it's always All About Oliver, it will serve to shake him up about assumptions he's making. Maybe that's why SA keeps repeating the line about "because of what I do I can't be with someone I could really care about" now instead of the line about not being able to be with someone who can't take care of herself.

Part of me hopes that he will end up being a friend to Oliver now that Tommy is gone.  He's got Diggle but Diggle is in a different space in terms of life passage.

Luke Mitchell may be a bit too charismatic if they're going to keep him on long term.  He pretty much stole the sex symbol role from Robbie Amell.  And let me echo that they need to stop talking about the chemistry between EBR and whoever gets hired.

In the same vein, if he's too much of a  superhero, he's going to have to leave Starling City because there's room for only one superhero long term on this show.

I need to go back and watch The Undertaking (I think that's where it was) but Moira was talking about a fund-raiser for Ted Kord, I think.  That made me think he was running for political office, but maybe it was a charity thing too.

When I read that Toshi is "a devoted father and husband", I thought, yeah, daddy issues and can Oliver be a father.  

Vancouver is the largest Asian city outside of Asia, so it's good to see casting for 'Hong Kong'.  

ETA: 

I'm guessing that this info about Felicity's upcoming love interest probably helps explain Cassidy's assertion that there's nothing between Oliver and Felicity.

I really hope that's KC playing to the fans who want Laurel and Oliver together.  A blind man in a snowstorm should be able to see there's something between Oliver and Felicity.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Right, but apparently she's gone from just saying that Oliver and Laurel are soulmates and Laurel is more in love with him than ever, to this second statement of "There's nothing between Oliver and Felicity."  Which, given the finale, is a bit of a reach. It does, however, make more sense if Cassidy was told that Felicity would be getting a new love interest next season - and it's very possible that she was told that shortly before the last few episodes aired - and leapt to the conclusion that, rather than this guy being the Temporary Love Interest, like, not at random, the two guys Laurel dated this past season, this new guy would be Felicity's major love interest and allow Laurel to get back with Oliver.  That might explain some of her comments. 

(edited)

And yet you have SA saying in an interview that the only path L/O have going forward is as friends.

I don't think KC knows anything really, maybe I'm wrong but this comment is too much like her previous comments from this time last year. She said back then that O/F were just a fling and that Laurel could totally take Felicity. This really doesn't strike me as any different tone/knowledge just different words.

Honestly this just comes across as defensive/annoyed/bitter, and her responses go from sure there might be something there but it's just fling I mean Laurel is the love of his life...to there's nothing there, I've got the jacket, I'm wearing leather pants of course I'm going to get Ollie. ..I'm the Black Canary

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I don't think Cassidy knows much about Season 3. I think only Amell among the cast members really knows about the plot-lines in Season 3 so whatever Amell says will have more weightage. Cassidy is probably selling her character. (Point to be noted they are not yet casting someone who is similar to wildcat)

Some fans are speculating that the couple in flashbacks are David Cain and Lady Shiva and the child would be Cassandra Cain (the current Batgirl if I am not mistaken)

(edited)

Current Batgirl is Barbara Gordon, previous Batgirl was Stephenie Brown.

Cassandra Cain was the Batgirl before Stephanie Brown, right after Barbara was paralyzed. For the most part, Helena Bertinelli was Batgirl for a hot minute between Babs and Cassandra Cain but, I'm not sure she counts that much.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I also think perhaps KC is saying there's nothing between Oliver and Felicity because there isn't...yet. We can say hmm well we see different because, well we see different, but either of them have yet to admit any feelings beyond purely platonic. But it does come across as arrogant instead of "we have yet to see." I don't know what her tone was, but reading it as it is makes her seem...not that nice.

And yet you have SA saying in an interview that the only path L/O have going forward is as friends.

whew.... okay, I'm calming down now.

I'm a believer in not looking at when they say but at what they do.  Laurel got two non-Oliver love interests:  Tommy, who died at the end of s1 and Sebastian Blood, who ended up a bad guy and who Oliver wished her well with.  Felicity is also getting two non-Oliver love interests:  Barry who will become a superhero and who they needed to be attractive to the audience to sell the possibility of a spin-off (and who did so well on Arrow that the network pushed him right into a pilot instead of the backdoor episode they had originally intended) and now 'Daniel' who will be a tech-powered superhero.  Felicity is definitely getting the better guy, especially the second time around.

Add to that the media buzz that Oliver/Felicity generates, it doesn't make sense to have Oliver end up with Laurel.

• Love 2
I don't think Cassidy knows much about Season 3

I don't think she knows much about "Arrow" in general.  I'm pretty convinced she doesn't watch the series.  Hell, even people who don't care for the Oliver/Felicity relationship can see there's something there.  To say there's "nothing" there?  Uh huh.  Like if she says it with conviction it will magically make it true.  

I do feel a tiny bit bad that not only EBR's Felicity and Caity Lotz's Canary have essentially stolen what she likely believes was promised her signing onto the series at the beginning.  However, EBR and Caity Lotz and the characters they play - through hard work, talent and some decent writing - both have since raised the bar and now essentially demand - if she is indeed destined to be BC and Laurel with Oliver - she AND the writing of her character, at the bare minimum, match them. It seems Cassidy not only believes she and Laurel can match them, but far surpass them because... leather pants?  The jacket?  Her character's name?  Because that's literally all she's got right now.  Superficial, plastic trinkets, basically, while EBR, Lotz and the characters they play have brought the real goods ep after ep.  It's going to take more than trinkets for KC's Laurel to even scratch the surface to get near EBR's Felicity or CL's Canary, but someone apparently forgot to inform Cassidy of that and just how long and steep her climb and that of the writers actually inevitably would have to be.  At least if they make any attempt at an organic story arc for Laurel and these transitions.  Unfortunately for them all (and all the rest of us for however long we choose to endure it), it's a climb I believe neither she or the writers have really provided tangible evidence they're up to task for.  Though I can believe Cassidy is probably right in the sense Laurel WILL be BC and Lauriver WILL happen again, probably even be endgame.  I'm just not remotely convinced, based on what's seen up to date, Cassidy or the writers can do that organically or believably.  All I can picture is a sledgehammer, a round peg and a square hole.  It's not pretty.  Potentially show-killing "not pretty" for how much time and effort this would probably take up to put on-screen.

• Love 9

saw these on Twitter

Will @caitylotz be in season 3 of #Arrow ? @amellywood thinks the world is more fun with some Canary in it.

Why don't we call them Green Arrow and Black Canary?
@amellywood says it's an evolutionary process of characters

will we see Arrow in #TheFlash TV series?
@amellywood: we share a producer, and a set, and a city, I don't know!

saw these on Twitter

Will @caitylotz be in season 3 of #Arrow ? @amellywood thinks the world is more fun with some Canary in it.

*screams shrilly* What does this mean?!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the confusion lies in that they have yet to call Sara "The Black Canary". I know on IMDB it says Black Canary and I know she's wearing the Black Canary costume but I think they left themselves an out by not calling her The Black Canary verbatim, not as far as I can remember.

Grrr...tricky bastards.

• Love 1

tv echo,  can you elaborate a little on this?  How does giving Felicity a love interest and putting Oliver and Laurel back together appease Olicity fans?

It doesn't, it does sound like they're getting her out of the way for Laurel like with Sara in the finale.

(edited)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the confusion lies in that they have yet to call Sara "The Black Canary". I know on IMDB it says Black Canary and I know she's wearing the Black Canary costume but I think they left themselves an out by not calling her The Black Canary verbatim, not as far as I can remember.

Well Oliver isn't called Green Arrow either.

This is what Stephen said at Denver Con:

Why don't we call them Green Arrow and Black Canary? @amellywood says it's an evolutionary process of characters.#DCC2014

Edited by Velocity23
(edited)

Hopefully it means more motorcycle stunts!

Anyway, that's cheering. Which is probably good, because otherwise the small spoilers so far are not making me very enthusiastic for the next season. I know a number of people are all happy that Felicity is getting another love interest, so that's probably good for the show. I also think that Laurel finally becoming the Black Canary should - in theory - finally give the character something to do with the plot that does not involve kidnapping, so that's a plus.  I'm also in full agreement that Oliver/Felicity aren't ready to be together yet, so yay.  Also, whatever Cassidy may say, I'm not convinced that Laurel/Oliver are still endgame, or even a possibility of endgame, which is a relief.

But otherwise - I haven't heard anything yet that's made me excited about Laurel's role as Black Canary.  And, well, although usually I'm all about love triangles, so far I really haven't enjoyed the way they've played out on Arrow.  The Oliver/Laurel/Tommy triangle was hands down my least favorite part of the first season, and I wasn't a fan of using Sara as an obstacle to Oliver/Felicity. Oliver/Felicity/Barry kinda worked, but mostly to show us that yes, Oliver and Felicity were interested in each other, which we kinda already knew. Only Isabel really worked for me, and that didn't really count as a triangle. So, yeah, I'm not feeling overly optimistic just now.

It doesn't, it does sound like they're getting her out of the way for Laurel like with Sara in the finale.

I really doubt it.

Apart from the fact that at this point, the argument for Laurel/Oliver as endgame consists of the jacket, Laurel's hug/speech in City of Blood, her shooting Oliver's bow, and Cassidy's insistence that this is endgame, and the argument for Felicity/Oliver consists of their mutual interest actually used as a plot point, Oliver saying he loved her, comments from the producers and Amell that yes, he did mean that, the ongoing press releases from the network, the press releases aren't introducing this guy as someone that Felicity, as a secondary character, could get involved with, but rather someone who will be a romantic rival to Oliver. If the idea was just to give Felicity some sort of consolation prize - like what eventually happened with Chloe on Smallville - the introduction would have been different.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 4
(edited)

Grrr...tricky bastards.

The irony of course is that in interviews they (EPs) almost always refer to Sara as Black Canary while still using Arrow for Oliver.

Edited by Morrigan2575

The irony of course is that in interviews they (EPs) almost always refer to Sara as Black Canary while still using Arrow for Oliver.

Well Oliver isn't called Green Arrow either.

This is what Stephen said at Denver Con:

Why don't we call them Green Arrow and Black Canary? @amellywood says it's an evolutionary process of characters.#DCC2014

I'm talking about within the show itself.  Sara has been called "The Canary" and Oliver "The Arrow".  The difference is that we all know that no other actor besides Stephen Amell is going to be The Green Arrow, unless there is some kind of major falling out and Amell quits or gets fired or the show gets cancelled before that can happen.  And Malcolm Merlyn coined the Green Arrow already in S1 so it's just a matter of time before Oliver calls himself that or accepts that as a moniker dubbed by someone else.

Sara has already been the defacto Black Canary but without the official moniker.  I think the showrunners have left themselves an out for when the uproar begins if Laurel gets the official moniker of "Black Canary" . I don't support Laurel becoming The Black Canary at all as I've said elsewhere here. I won't accept it personally but technically they can fall back on that out.

(edited)

I like the idea of this Daniel character and hope it's executed well. And if Luke Mitchell's available and right for the part, I'm okay with that as well. I'd love to see another company (Kord Industries works well) snap up Felicity's tech skills. 

Those KC comments disturb me, but I really want to see them in context before I judge. The amount of Laurel on this show going forward could make or break this show for me, and I hope once the writer's room gets back together and filming starts in a few months, I can start to gauge what her involvement will be. I understand how annoying it would be to continue to get comments and questions about another character, but Laurel's barely been involved in the show. Plus Caity's gotten the same types of questions and manages to answer them quite gracefully without coming off snotty. 

Sadly, for me, the more spoilers that come out the better, because it's going to determine if I continue to watch. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 2

Yeah, my first thought when I read those character descriptions for Toshi and Akiko was that those 2 will probably turn out to be David Cain and Lady Shiva. I really hope that's true because the introduction of Lady Shiva would be the first thing for me to get excited about next season.

I sadly still think Sara will most likely return as White Canary, but it would be hilarious if KC were to end up with egg on her face after Laurel becomes Manhunter.

I sadly still think Sara will most likely return as White Canary

I wonder if this will be the Comic Con announcement. It seems weird that it would only be to announce CL as a series regular since they did that with Barrowman at the Upfronts. But I could totally see them announcing that Laurel will be BC and Sara will return with a different name. 

I honestly can't believe they would announce that kind of character change of a largely beloved character at Comic Con. I mean if PTV and the blog formerly know as TWoP and AV Club are any kind of measure, introducing Laurel as BC and Sara as White Canary...well good luck getting out of the panel alive. 

• Love 5

Maybe the triangle could be Laurel and the new guy hero that is for Felicity? That would certainly be something different.   Oliver is tainted to me with the sister thing and sleeping with his father's mistress, so I am no longer invested in his romantic entanglements.  I personally think they need to bring back Laurel's friend from the office that was on Charlie's angels, or the police officer that was shot.

Oliver needs a love interest that is not working with him or part of the sister drama, and Laurel needs a friend to talk to...and not just her father or Oliver.  Det. Lance also needs a friend, sidekick partner or a girlfriend. These people don't need to be a major focus, just show them once in a while so that characters interact outside each other. 

All of these new characters make me nervous about where they going with Diggle. At the end they seemed to realize that the audience likes the core three more than including Sara, Roy and multiple other people. I think that is where the show should return. 

Love the idea of Luke Mitchell, but I also like Max Brown and can think of a few other people. I just hope Robbie Amell is not being floated for any character. I also hope that we can see Walter again now that Moira is dead. 

• Love 1

Maybe the triangle could be Laurel and the new guy hero that is for Felicity?

Nope Nope NOPE! I don't want Laurel and her dramas anywhere near Felicity. Felicity doesn't need someone who will have wandering eyes for "gorgeous" Laurel. If that happens i am gonna start throwing stuff at the TV. Oliver kind of decided he "cant be with someone he could really care about" and that is fine and Barry has the complicated thing with Iris. I just want Felicity's LI to be someone who wont be having secret feelings for someone else. As EBR said at Upfronts "This will Olivers battle". I just don't want Felicity to be seen as waiting for Oliver, its time she has a little romance, and no i don't count Barry as an actual romance. 

• Love 10

Just my opinion, but I don't think SA would be talking about Canary in the same sentence as Caity Lotz if he were referring to Laurel being the Canary.  Or even Sara being the White Canary since she's been introduced in the black outfit. It just doesn't make sense.

I do feel a tiny bit bad that not only EBR's Felicity and Caity Lotz's Canary have essentially stolen what she likely believes was promised her signing onto the series at the beginning.  However, EBR and Caity Lotz and the characters they play - through hard work, talent and some decent writing - both have since raised the bar

KC has said that she hasn't read the comics yet, she's waiting till she becomes the Black Canary.  EBR said that she hadn't read the GA/BC comics when she got the part but she's since bought a bookshelf just for the comics, and is reading them.

I don't want Laurel and her dramas anywhere near Felicity. Felicity doesn't need someone who will have wandering eyes for "gorgeous" Laurel.

Felicity has earned having a love interest of her own rather than having to compete with Laurel, Sara or Iris.

• Love 4
(edited)

Maybe the triangle could be Laurel and the new guy hero that is for Felicity? That would certainly be something different.   Oliver is tainted to me with the sister thing and sleeping with his father's mistress, so I am no longer invested in his romantic entanglements. 

This to the point where it feels like Oliver needs to redeem himself from that colossal screw up with Sara. I honestly felt if Oliver died in the finale, I'd be ok with it. I've had it with Oliver and his arc of messing everything up. He was growing, and then all of a sudden they decided he needs to stop growing, and shrink.

Felicity does not need that in her romantic life right now. Rock on Daniel.

Edited by ArrowLimbo
  • Love 1

laurendrew, will you be wearing fishnets or fishnet patterned black leather pants?  Since  you're been watching the show, you already have a leg up on KC.

I hope they cast someone good as 'Daniel'.  I wonder if, if he is Ted Kord/ Blue Beetle, they will cast with an eye to another possible spin-off.

(I remember Manu Bennett talking about being in line at an airport and hearing about the press release that he had been cast as Slade and saying Wait, they got it wrong, I was cast as 'X' (the name that was on the audition script to keep the casting secret).) 

• Love 1

Nope Nope NOPE! I don't want Laurel and her dramas anywhere near Felicity. Felicity doesn't need someone who will have wandering eyes for "gorgeous" Laurel. If that happens i am gonna start throwing stuff at the TV. Oliver kind of decided he "cant be with someone he could really care about" and that is fine and Barry has the complicated thing with Iris. I just want Felicity's LI to be someone who wont be having secret feelings for someone else. As EBR said at Upfronts "This will Olivers battle". I just don't want Felicity to be seen as waiting for Oliver, its time she has a little romance, and no i don't count Barry as an actual romance. 

I don't want there to be a triangle at all, but if there just has to be one, I would think it great if it did NOT involve Oliver and watch how he reacts to that. If Diggle were not already with his ex, he would be my first choice to see in a romantic involvement. I'm over Oliver's relationships, and to me it would just feel wrong for Felicity to be with him after he has slept with sisters, Isabel, the Huntress and the police officer while she just sits backs and waits for him to notice her.  That kind of "romance" does not interest or excite me.  It really makes her look weak, desperate and stupid. I think they are better off as friends.  I personally liked her with Barry.

• Love 1

I didn't like Barry as Felicity's love interest because he was too much like Felicity. Barry would only appear with crossover episodes. So what would happen? Flirting with Felicity when he comes to Starling, then making googly eyes at Iris in Central city. And Laurel will have what her 4th love interest in 3 years, she should calm the fuck down and work on her addiction issues, because i cant imagine that she can stay sober without a relapse. Felicity deserve someone who will just be interested in her and not have some secret desire to bang Laurel. Oliver shouldn't be in a relationship right now anyway, he will be dealing with having less money, baby momma appearance and his child, trying to reconnect with Thea.  If they bring Laurel into Felicity storyline i will be ready to hurt someone. Felicity's storyline got sidelined for the Lance melodrama in season 2. So just NO! to Laurel Lance being anywhere near the storyline for Felicity. 

• Love 4
(edited)

“So sitting in a Katie Cassidy panel in Sydney and not only did she all but confirm she will be Black Canary in Season 3 but also said that there is nothing between Oliver and Felicity.

So take from that what you will but she is definitely not a Felicity fan. She got really annoyed when she was asked an Olicity question.

Katie Cassidy Quotes: “I mean come on I’m wearing leather pants”(o.O) “You saw I got the leather jacket at the end of season 2, right” “A fight between ‘Felicity’ and Laurel *rolls eyes* Laurel’s got this”

KC @Sydney comic con

I really try not to let my opinion on a character leak over to include the actor but KC is not making that easy. The things I don't like about Laurel, that kind of brittle, superior, dismissive thing is also a vibe I'm picking up from KC.  I get she feels threatened but her comments come off disrespectful and kind of insulting since she seems to imply that since I like and see a big potential thing in Olicity, I'm an idiot. 

I know she probably didn't think about how she comes off and she probably just said aloud what she tells herself to reassure herself about her place and position on the show but yeah, it's not pleasant and is hard to not pass the icky feeling her comments give me onto a dislike of her as a person.  On the other hand it seems likely she just doesn't think about how she sounds and her intentions are probably limited to defending her territory without realizing how she seems to be attacking and discrediting what the other actors have accomplished on the show so I should probably just cut her some slack and keep hoping she really is as isolated in her opinions as she sounds.   

I do think some version of Canary is in Laurel's future (sigh) but that is not the be all or end all to her character's arc.  I really don't feel like anything on the show comes with a guarantee.  Strange how that has become a comfort.

Today. 3:59 pm

I like the idea of this Daniel character and hope it's executed well.

I have no problem with Felicity having a legitimate love interest.  Felicity deserves a win in the relationship department plus I really want to see her in some other circumstances away from her position in Team Arrow.  I also don't think it will hurt to have Oliver do a little pining (a little since he would be doing his best to be supportive but "Daniel" is described as a rival in business and love, right?)  He will also bring some conflict since he'll probably become suspicious of what "Daniel" is up to.  The idea that "Daniel" will end up being a legitimate hero in his own right has his end game season write out already written since the show runners IMO are not going to give up Felicity and Arrow can't support a hero like Blue Beetle since Arrow would become redundant. 

Which means to me that Felicity will end up letting him go, choosing Team Arrow (and Oliver) over any relationship she's built with "Daniel" 

I guess if the show runners really wanted to they could continue a relationship off screen into season 4 but that is dull for everyone so I just don't see it happening.

As for Oliver's two mentors in Hong Kong, my one wish is that Oliver at no time ends up sleeping with the wife.  Please, just please no. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Cain and Shiva had Cassandra. Assuming they really are going to be on the show, and depending on the ages, does that mean Cassandra could appear as a hero or villain on Arrow? Because it would be interesting to see Oliver go up against someone with her abilities.

Edited by KirkB

I was just reading the Wikipedia entry about Ted Kord, since it seems like that's the general consensus on who "Daniel" is, and I know nothing about the character.

This part struck me as interesting.

Ted made several appearances in Birds of Prey, at first as Oracle's internet friend and later in person. It was hinted in several issues that Ted had a crush on Oracle.

On the other hand it seems likely she just doesn't think about how she sounds and her intentions are probably limited to defending her territory without realizing how she seems to be attacking and discrediting what the other actors have accomplished on the show so I should probably just cut her some slack and keep hoping she really is as isolated in her opinions as she sounds.

You know, I just can't be bothered to cut her slack. She's not a newbie to the acting game.. Look, I might end up 100% wrong and she might wow me as Black Canary but right now I can't see how that is possible given how she's played Laurel to this point. She is doing nothing in her comments to make me even want to root for her to do well.  I don't want this to sully our great show.

• Love 2

The thing about KC's comments regarding Olicity that bothers me is that it's so dismissive to SA and EBR. Both have talked about how to approach scenes to leave people kind of guessing when it comes to their relationship. So, we have two actors who are really invested in this show, in their characters' relationship, and fans of the ship. Then you get KC just saying, "Nope! Not gonna happen! It's mine! All mine! Muahahahahaha!"

• Love 5

I think if the writers ever introduce Ted Grant/Wildcat, they would probably go down the love interest route with his character, too considering the nature of this show...

Yuck, you are probably right.  Taking to Spec without Spoilers

(edited)
3.  A potentially serious love interest for Felicity as a way to appease the Olicity fans because the EPs still plan to put Oliver (Green Arrow) with Laurel (Black Canary) as their end game.

tv echo,  can you elaborate a little on this?  How does giving Felicity a love interest and putting Oliver and Laurel back together appease Olicity fans?

I was thinking of Smallville.  When that show's producers decided not to put Clark together with Chloe romantically because they wanted to stick to the comic book canon of Clark and Lois, Chloe was given her own romance with that show's Oliver Queen - another hot superhero type.

If the Arrow EPs have committed to an Oliver-Laurel endgame (remember the controversial EP comment about Green Arrow and Black Canary being like Clark/Superman and Lois?), they may think that giving Felicity her own superhero romance is a good consolation prize - that Olicity fans will like that pairing enough to change their loyalty to the new pair. 

Personally, I think they're wrong.  Although Clark and Chloe had chemistry, I could understand why that pairing might not have worked in Smallville - different story, different relationship.

On Arrow, the relationship between Oliver and Felicity has developed quite organically and has hit a lot of the classic hero romance marks (putting on the mask, "believe in you" speech, etc.).  So, if the Daniel romance is meant to be a sop to the Olicity fans, I don't think it'll work.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Thanks for the explanation, tv echo.  I didn't watch Smallville, so can't relate Olicity to Clark/Chloe and their development.  I agree though, that that reasoning just wouldn't work with Olicity, at least not with me, for the reasons you mentioned.

(edited)

I stopped watching Smallville long before Oliver showed up, but to my understanding, they were a popular couple, right? My thinking is, the EPs want to continue to write Oliver as a manwhore, who'll screw anything that moves, who's not going to be in a long term committed relationship any time soon. Felicity is not Helena, McKenna, or even Sara; he can't just have sex with her and move on. She's either THE girl, or she's a platonic friend. In the meantime, it doesn't do anybody any good to have her still so obviously hung up on Oliver, while he bangs his way through the Starling City yellow pages. Bringing in a new love interest saves her from the indignity of waiting around for someone, who with every turn of the screw, if you will, seems like less and less of a catch. Bonus points if they allow Oliver to show some jealousy.

If they cast a strong actor (Luke Mitchell), and who's likely to have good chemistry with EBR (Luke Mitchell), and is as attractive as SA (Luke Mitchell), then it'll be fun times all around. Ted Kord (if that's who Daniel ends up being) will be a much different take on a superhero than Oliver (hell island) and Barry (superpowers). This could end up being really good, if they don't decide Laurel is actually the Blue Beatle, and have Ted give her his blue jacket before leaving town.

Now, watch them cast Robbie Amell, and ruin the whole thing.

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 7

TV Echo posted this link in the Relationship Thread but I think my post belongs here since it's talking about S3 .

“In the flashbacks of season 3, we’re going to see Oliver with no choice, like sort of an indentured servitude. And, uh, and the way that, the way that the people that he is working for, convince him to work for them, nobody is going to see that coming….gives us an opportunity to bring back some people.”

This comment from SA makes the whole Laurel=Canary thing to me even crazier. They've done such an amazing job of paralleling Oliver/Sara as characters they have differences and diverge now but they're origins are very similar. I mean how much difference do you think there will be between Sara with the LoA and Oliver with ARGUS. Both basically indentured servant to their saviors. Both being trained and made harder (physically) both being stripped of their humanity, turned into killers, etc.

I just don't understand how/why the producers are doing stuff like this and then think the fans will be happy with Laurel being BC.

• Love 8

This could end up being really good, if they don't decide Laurel is actually the Blue Beatle, and have Ted give her his blue jacket before leaving town.

I died when I read this.

• Love 3

I just don't understand how/why the producers are doing stuff like this and then think the fans will be happy with Laurel being BC.

This is precisely why I'm very wary of how S3 will go - there seem to be a different set of expectations on what makes some characters need to go through to emerge as heroes compared to a single character.  And she's so disconnected from everything else that she has zero credibility.  There is simply no way Laurel will ever be a viable BC as long as Sara's journey remains tortuous and soul crushing.  And to expect Laurel to fight along side Oliver, after all that he's gone through, is one thing - to have her be the next BC is quite another.

This could end up being really good, if they don't decide Laurel is actually the Blue Beatle, and have Ted give her his blue jacket before leaving town.

Thanks for this - I needed that laugh!

• Love 1
(edited)

I think they said something about now that she knows Oliver's secret, she's going to be part of Team Arrow.  The question is how much?  If she's going to be Manhunter or working from the DA's office, I woudn't have trouble with that.  But if she's going to be fighting alongside Oliver as Sara did... I had enough trouble with the episodes when Sara sidelined Diggle and Felicity, there's no way I would accept Laurel doing it.

I understand the comparison to Smallville, especially with also having a Green Arrow.  But there seem to me to be some differences (keeping in mind that I didn't watch Smallville:

• I don't care what Andrew Kreisburg says, Clark/Lana and Clark/Lois are much more iconic couples than GA/BC, just as Superman is better known than Green Arrow.  You can mess around some with a superhero story on TV but I think there would have been an uproar if Clark Kent had ended up with anyone other than Lois Lane. Not so for Arrow, where already Felicity Smoak is considered the love interest rather than Laurel Lance.
  • Smallville is about a place while Green Arrow is a person. I think it less likely that Arrow is going to share the stage with a number of other superheros.
  • Green Arrow arrived on Smallville in season 6 when Clark had been firmly established. This is still season 3 of Arrow so it 'Daniel' is going to be another superhero, I don't think he'll be staying on as a regular, just as I see Sara as recurring if she stays.
  • Did Clark ever say 'I love you' to Chloe?  I know he kissed her but even as a ruse an ILU is a pretty big deal..

I wouldn't be surprised, if 'Daniel' turns out be the the Blue Beetle, they're also setting up the possibility for him being on a Birds of Prey spin-off, especially if he's romancing one of them..

Edited by statsgirl

Yes, that's what I meant.  He had a thing for Barbara Gordon, but it could be changed to Sara or someone else who comes on as Oracle if Sara stays with Nyssa and she joins a potential BOP show.  I don't think there's room for two superheros on Arrow, not right now anyway.  They had trouble knowing how to do Sara in s2.

Since we're talking about the Blue Beetle rather than just Ted Kord, I think we're supposed to be in the spoiler thread.