Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

From the Hollywood Reporter interview:

Another new character heading to Arrow in the new season will be Wildcat, who will have an encounter with Laurel (Katie Cassidy).

An encounter. I figured he would be the love interest, but this is starting to sound less like it. This makes it almost sound like he's a one episode character, rather than recurring. Maybe the interviewer misunderstood?

Edited by Starfish35

Regarding Wildcat, I have been reading things like "some interaction","an encounter" etc.So, I don't know in how many episodes, this character will appear.

(edited)

Regarding Wildcat, I have been reading things like "some interaction","an encounter" etc.So, I don't know in how many episodes, this character will appear.

I thought he'd be Laurel's LI, but it's sounding less like it.

Maybe it's Ra's and that somehow gets her involved in the League?

Edited by apinknightmare

With Ra's confirmed as the season's Big Bad, I'm back to wondering why they didn't sign Caity Lotz as a series regular this season. It would seem like Sara would have a large part to play in that story. It wouldn't have to be every episode, but I would still think they'd want to get her locked in for more than three episodes.

Another new character heading to Arrow in the new season will be Wildcat, who will have an encounter with Laurel (Katie Cassidy).

Maybe a one episode romance plus boxing lessons?

(edited)

So no series regular cast announcement for CL, then? I actually didn't expect it, but when I saw her posing for cast pics and doing press with the other regulars, I really felt a little flicker of hope inside of me.

You can watch the Ted Grant announcement at the DC panel

MG says that "Ted Grant will have a little interaction with Laurel", but he says it in a teasing tone. He clearly doesn't want to give away the storyline, which is dumb to me because in light of Ted Grant's role in the comics, the comments about KC pumping iron and a potential hero's training arc for Laurel, it's obvious what the purpose of his character is.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 2

I really hope they cast a strong actor for the role of Ra's Al Ghul. We all remember how the writers botched Deathstroke's story in the end. Deathstroke is only a memorable Arrow villain now because of Manu Bennett's performance. 

• Love 2

The promo was good and would've been great if I hadn't known almost everything about it before hand. We already knew that Sara was coming back, that Laurel and Oliver are kind of partners now, that a new Count was coming, that Oliver/Diggle will be having some conflict and that there will be a date which will end badly. So it was just a matter of seeing everything I knew already being played out on screen.

The two things that stood out for me were Oliver willingly confiding in someone about his past and Waller threatening him in that past. I generally don't care for flashbacks and find them boring as hell but Waller brings a great negative energy to her scenes and though not a fan of the character, I do like the way the actress portrays her. Also Oliver loosening up and opening up about his past to a friend was a great way to show that he has people in in his life in front of whom he doesn't have to wear a mask.

Does anyone else feel that at this point the Arrow cast and EPs are giving out too much information. Not complaining, just worried about not being sufficiently surprised when the show finally airs. Again Ra's al Ghul's confirmation as the main antagonist was to be expected but felt thrilling to be confirmed cuz Ra's is Ra's. I'm sure Sara is tied to him some how and no matter how small an arc she has in this season, it will be really material in pushing the story forward in a great way.

SA says no Laurel/Sara/others for Oliver...wow...seems definitive, but I'll be on my guard. I mean I have a feeling that this season will be Laurel's best cuz she's finally free of Oliver's shadow and is coming into her own with a great job, thriving relationship with sister and father, no alcohol, Ted Grant, making a difference by partnering with Arrow and possibly making friends with team arrow...hmm. If by the end of this season, the writers are successful in making her likable, maybe Oliver and Laurel can again try their hand at romance in Season 4. I can already see a difference in audience reaction to KC after the panel interview.

If, on the other hand, Felicity really is going to be Oliver's new 'end game', I suggest the writers start giving her character more depth by fleshing it out via both the past and the present. Not saying that she is lacking in any way, but she needs to be portrayed more as an individual and less as only a team member. Hopefully, this season will do all that.

Oh and I gawked a bit when Ray Palmer said 'love your company'.I mean what a thing to say...no wonder Oliver will be at odds with him. I admit to chuckling. Guilty...very very guilty.

Also RP's going to try to rope Felicity in after checking her records. This should be interesting. At last Felicity will be doing what she loves and I hope she does it because she wants to and not for some spy thingy for Oliver...that doesn't sound right.

• Love 2

If, on the other hand, Felicity really is going to be Oliver's new 'end game', I suggest the writers start giving her character more depth by fleshing it out via both the past and the present. Not saying that she is lacking in any way, but she needs to be portrayed more as an individual and less as only a team member. Hopefully, this season will do all that.

I'd definitely like to see some focus on Felicity as an individual before going full out with an Oliver/Felicity relationship... which kind of sounds like where they may be heading now. I was watching Stephen and Caity's panel from Denver Con yesterday and two things caught my attention that I think are relevant here.

1. Stephen was asked about his favorite scenes/character moments and Stephen said sometimes his favorite moments are the quieter character moments because if you can't pull those off, no one cares if you're blowing up a city. This has come up before in this thread - does it matter who Oliver is as a man and how he approaches his relationships, romantic and otherwise? I think it does, and I think Stephen feels the same way. And he should care about his charscter's image both as a man and as a hero.

2. A woman asked a direct question about Oliver bouncing from Laurel to Sara - what was interesting is she said she knew where Stephen stood on that question so she was asking Caity, and Stephen was protesting a bit. Caity didn't get too meta with it, said they often joked about it, then said she liked the Olicity drama and Stephen agreed. The point isn't so much that they dragged Olicity into - it's more that the Laurel/Sara stuff got so ridiculous that they now joke about it. (As does most of the Internet.)

Stephen also expressed some concerns about story continuity in one of his recent Q&As - he wasn't specific but given how the show has handled story driven romance (Sara/Oliver, Slade/Shado, the messy Oliver/Laurel/Tommy) I think Stephen is right to have concerns. It's creating unnecessary drama, it makes Oliver look like a douche, and Laurel somehow ends up looking as bad as he does when viewers should be empathizing with her. Honestly, it would better to snip that romantic angst cord between her and Oliver and give her enough room to breathe to see where she can go. Of course, that's dependent on them giving her a decent story for once, but that's another post altogether.

Now, I don't know if KC questions these things with the writers or just goes with whatever they tell her, but Stephen has said many times that he's not shy about pitching things to the writers and EPs. He said he pitched some things about Oliver's child to the writers and it sounded like the EPs pitched the same thing back to him. I've gotten the impression that he's directly effected story before, as have other actors like Barrowman. We also know that he discusses long term season arcs with the writers and sometimes has more information than the other actors. This is why I tend to think Stephen made such bold statements about Oliver and Felicity because he's discussed this as a long term plan going forward. And honestly, if the EPs can't admit now, at least in private, that the Laurel/Oliver story isn't the greatest romance and has in fact been steadily unraveling since S1, then I fear this show has bigger storytelling issues coming than Oliver's love life. Their willingness to blast continuity has been troublesome to say the least.

In the grand scheme of the Arrow universe, I don't think Oliver's love life is written in stone, and I don't think DC cares so much about endgame romance on this show. They're building a TV universe at the moment and I think they've given the EPS and writers of Arrow a lot of room for canon changes. Oliver's love life is really the least of these changes when DC has never cared about keeping Oliver and Dinah endgame in the comics anyway. So yes, I kind of think Stephen made these statements about the end of Lauriver and a new chapter in Oliver's life in good faith and because he has reason to believe this is the new direction. Of course it could change if the show goes past five seasons. But - and this is important - why dig an angst hole again if they don't have to? They'd be smarter to pick a direction (even if it's not Olicity) and stick with it and save focus for the bigger stories they want to tell.

• Love 5

Does anyone else feel that at this point the Arrow cast and EPs are giving out too much information. Not complaining, just worried about not being sufficiently surprised when the show finally airs.

Not really. There was a lot of information coming out, too, during the three-episode finale, but the show still managed to surprise the heck out of a lot of people with what happened/how they did it. The information they doled out now should keep the buzz going for a good while.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, wow, and triple wow!

Regarding the Season 3 trailer and the scene where we see an injured, unconscious Felicity - What if she suffers short-term amnesia and doesn't remember the date at all?  Oliver may then decide not to tell her because he's changed his mind about trying to have a private life due to the new danger.

For Laurel: expect the unexpected. Katie Cassidy is anxious to start kicking butt and become a crime fighter.

I hope she means as an ADA who is charged with enforcing the laws and not as a vigilante who breaks those laws.  But if Ted Grant and Ra's Al Ghul are coming and if one of them trains Laurel, well... Laurel has shown a willingness to bend or break the rules even though she's a sworn lawyer.

"Oliver has one woman this year. That woman is Felicity." - Stephen Amell

I don't think Stephen Amell knows anything past Season 3.  Remember his changing comments about whether Oliver was jealous of Barry from early Season 2 to late Season 2?  I doubt that the EPs would commit for the rest of the series this early on.  The words "this year" are a major qualifier.  I honestly don't think the EPs have completely given up on Laurel and Oliver.  They have planned for 5 years.  I think they realize that they have to make Laurel more likeable and acceptable to a lot of fans - so they first ease her into Team Arrow in Season 3 and then they ease her into the Black Canary role in Season 4 (while slowly phasing Sara out).  I'd bet that they have roughly plotted a future season episode titled "Dinah" where Laurel will transform into BC and adopt her first name for some reason.  Then in Season 5, depending on how the series has developed so far, ratings, and fan reaction, Laurel may or may not reunite with Oliver for some reason.  I'm just a little gun-shy when it comes to these EPs after Season 2 - when it started so promisingly the first half and then changed into a bit of a mess the second half.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think people also need to remember that Greg Berlanti is a genius. And from what some people told to me his decisions have the most weight. I mean he was the on responsible for the change in end game in Dawson Creek. Without him there would be no Joey/Pacey endgame. 

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 3

Not really. There was a lot of information coming out, too, during the three-episode finale, but the show still managed to surprise the heck out of a lot of people with what happened/how they did it. The information they doled out now should keep the buzz going for a good while.

Good to know that cuz I was on hiatus from Arrow and wasn't following the series while the last episodes aired.

(edited)

Wow, wow, and triple wow!

Regarding the Season 3 trailer and the scene where we see an injured, unconscious Felicity - What if she suffers short-term amnesia and doesn't remember the date at all?  Oliver may then decide not to tell her because he's changed his mind about trying to have a private life due to the new danger.

I don't think Stephen Amell knows anything past Season 3.  Remember his changing comments about whether Oliver was jealous of Barry from early Season 2 to late Season 2?  I doubt that the EPs would commit for the rest of the series this early on.  The words "this year" are a major qualifier.  I honestly don't think the EPs have completely given up on Laurel and Oliver.  They have planned for 5 years.  I think they realize that they have to make Laurel more likeable and acceptable to a lot of fans - so they first ease her into Team Arrow in Season 3 and then they ease her into the Black Canary role in Season 4 (while slowly phasing Sara out).  I'd bet that they have roughly plotted a future season episode titled "Dinah" where Laurel will transform into BC and adopt her first name for some reason.  Then in Season 5, depending on how the series has developed so far, ratings, and fan reaction, Laurel may or may not reunite with Oliver for some reason.  I'm just a little gun-shy when it comes to these EPs after Season 2 - when it started so promisingly the first half and then changed into a bit of a mess the second half.

I think Felicity does remember the date though, because wasn't there a spoiler released that she tells him she's had worse?

I don't know how much Stephen's been told about future story lines, but I think he's very media savvy and he knows what's popular and what will drive conversation about the show, and if the sister swapping has gotten to the point where they even joke about it on set, maybe he put that out there as a way to get a little fandom conversation started and hopefully drive the writers in a different direction based on a swell of popular opinion.

Or maybe he was just talking about the story as he sees it going forward.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I just watched the entire DC WB comic con panel video on YouTube.  Stephen Amell is pretty funny.  I think Geoff Johns(?) was joking when he said that the Episode 8 Arrow-Flash crossover episode would be called "Flash v. Arrow" (playing off the Superman v. Batman movie title).  He said it after someone asked the question of who would win a fight among Arrow, Flash and Constantine.

I was surprised how little excitement there was for L interactions with TK. And KC really needs to loosen up, i don't know why she was so opposed for Stephen to show his abs. And the GJ thing was cringe-worthy. 

• Love 4

I'm getting more and more interested in the potential of Malcolm, R'as and Oliver all in the same season. I like the idea of R'as and Oliver against Malcolm and how Thea would complicate that, though Malcolm and Oliver against R'as would also be interesting. I'd rather see R'as as an antagonist but not straight up villain this season. He's way too big and interesting to waste with a half season of storytelling. I also want to see Nyssa back and not dead. PLEASE not dead. And how will Sara fit in? There is a BC story coming out later - maybe Aug. or Sep.? - and the brief plot summary was interesting given the LoA connection this season.

So they teased the Ted Grant/Wildcat angle but we still know next to nothing about Laurel's story. I suppose they're going to hold onto those details until closer to the premier or after the season has started.

• Love 2

I have to say, I love the expression on Oliver's face when he looks at Felicity in the #1 pic in this article:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1880066/arrow-season-3-comic-con-trailer-olicity/

I think that's the first time that I ever just saw Oliver as cute. I just want to pinch his cheeks and cuddle him! But it's so lovely to see a smile on Oliver's face for one, although that's not going to last long judging by the second picture.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm getting more and more interested in the potential of Malcolm, R'as and Oliver all in the same season. I like the idea of R'as and Oliver against Malcolm and how Thea would complicate that, though Malcolm and Oliver against R'as would also be interesting. I'd rather see R'as as an antagonist but not straight up villain this season. He's way too big and interesting to waste with a half season of storytelling.

From this interview with Andrew Kreisberg, it looks like it'll be Oliver and Malcolm against Ra's. And they did have that scene in the trailer where Moira told Malcolm Ra's wanted to kill him. So, that'll be very interesting ... and then you add Thea to the mix and Sara and Nyssa. I'm so excited. Kreisberg says "alliances and loyalties" are another big theme in S3.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 4

Yep, Ra's is too big a character to let go only after half a Season. He is the biggest catch for Arrow and I don't think the EPs are stupid enough to let him go and only explore him for like half a season.
I expect Ra's to mainly operate from Nanda Parbat this Season and try to convince Oliver to join him, all the while he will be explored through Nyssa and Sara and maybe next season something will happen that will utterly piss him off on Oliver. And he will be gunning for his blood.

Regarding Sara's role this Season, I think Guggenheim's comments during IGN live are important. He said that the major story-lines in this long arc will be due to Sara or around her and how Sara weaves through these plots etc. So, I expect we will be seeing Sara a lot since both Nanda Parbat and Star City will be shown this Season and these two places are the only places that Sara will be travelling to and fro.

This quote from Kriesberg makes me think that this Season will be about identity and loyalties etc and the next Season will be an all out war.

There's another war coming and whose side people are going to be on is going to be the thing that drives the season."

I was going to put this in the Public Appearances thread, except SA says something about Episode 1 of Season 3:

Stephen Amell "Arrow" Talks Oliver/Felicity Relationship & IVs - Comic-Con 2014

I don't take Stephen's qualifier of "this season" as anything particularly noteworthy since that's the season he has come to talk about.  There is no season 4 or 5 yet (sure the showrunners have plans but the actors are going to talk about what's coming up now).  They haven't been renewed, they haven't even finished filming the second ep of season 3.  When actors are asked about the premiere of a new season, they're all going to use that qualifier of "this season".   I surely don't take it to mean "this season we're doing this, but next season we're doing that".  I guess I just can't be bothered to worry about next season when I haven't seen any eps from this one yet. 

As for his statement about Oliver's love life as it relates to Sara and Laurel, I honestly don't particularly care if he had free reign to say it or not, I'm glad to hear his thoughts on it.

I do have a question about the teaser though, something I've been trying to figure out but can't.  Quite possibly I'm just over thinking things and missing something simple.  In the scene where Felicity is walking away looking over her shoulder at Oliver (from the adorable smile picture above), she's wearing this orange dress.  Now, my assumption was the footage from the trailer was all ep 1 since they're still filming ep 2.  So that plus the lack of any trace of head injury on Felicity would put this scene pre-date.  However, this appears to be the same dress Emily was wearing in her birthday photos taken on the 24th, this past Thursday, during which time they should have been filming ep 2.  Hence my confusion.  If it's from ep 2, then the two of them are pretty happy with each other for two people whose first date was a bloody mess.  I guess I could chalk the lack of a head wound to the show just glossing over it (fast healing, it's been a week, whatever).  If it's from ep 1, then why was she wearing it late last week?  Pick up shots?  Anybody?  Bueller?

(edited)
I do have a question about the teaser though, something I've been trying to figure out but can't.  Quite possibly I'm just over thinking things and missing something simple.  In the scene where Felicity is walking away looking over her shoulder at Oliver (from the adorable smile picture above), she's wearing this orange dress.  Now, my assumption was the footage from the trailer was all ep 1 since they're still filming ep 2.  So that plus the lack of any trace of head injury on Felicity would put this scene pre-date.  However, this appears to be the same dress Emily was wearing in her birthday photos taken on the 24th, this past Thursday, during which time they should have been filming ep 2.  Hence my confusion.  If it's from ep 2, then the two of them are pretty happy with each other for two people whose first date was a bloody mess.  I guess I could chalk the lack of a head wound to the show just glossing over it (fast healing, it's been a week, whatever).  If it's from ep 1, then why was she wearing it late last week?  Pick up shots?  Anybody?  Bueller?

The only thing I can think of is that the pic with Colton wasn't taken on her birthday. She was wearing a black outfit in the pics that were taken of her blowing out the candles on the cake she was given on set. Not that she can't change clothes for different scenes or anything, but that'd be a simple way to explain it.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

The only thing I can think of is that the pic with Colton wasn't taken on her birthday. She was wearing a black outfit in the pics that were taken of her blowing out the candles on the cake she was given on set. Not that she can't change clothes for different scenes or anything, but that'd be a simple way to explain it.

Yeah, that's one option I had thought of, as well.  There was another pic of her in the dress, with Stephen, also posted on her birthday.  The question then becomes, why take them the week before and wait to post them?  But I'm thinking too hard, aren't I?  Old pictures are probably the simplest reason, so I'll go with that.

(edited)

A little spoilery so I'm putting it here... EP Andrew Kreisberg talks about Season 3 at SDCC 2014 (video link below).  

-- This season is all about human identity.  Can Oliver be both the Arrow and Oliver Queen?  The O/F date is a "microcosm" of that season-long struggle for him.

-- The episode where Felicity crosses over to The Flash "comes at a point when Felicity and Oliver have had a discussion" and "she finds it's the right time for her to take a trip to Central City".
-- As bad as the date is, Felicity says "I've had worse" and "the way Emily delivers the line, you're almost not sure if she's kidding".
-- We meet Katana in the premiere episode, and AK loves her new costume.
-- We meet Ray Palmer, played by Brandon Routh, "who we know one day becomes The Atom".
-- Because of their familial losses (son Tommy, mother Moira), "the three of them [Malcolm, Thea and Oliver] are sort of the only family they have left, in an odd way... it's a really messed up family".
-- -- This season is a "reward" to KC and WH for being a "team player" in past seasons.  AK feels that both WH and KC have been "such amazing team players" and "whenever we needed them to hit a double or a triple, they both of them hit grand slams.... This season in a way is their reward" and "for the audience as well who have been impatient for some aspects of both of their characters, that this season is really going to see people excited for their character journeys".
-- CL is booked for 3 episodes, they just came up with a 4th, and there's always the possibility of more.
-- Last year they started doing flashbacks out of sequence.  They'll be doing even more of those flashbacks this season.  Flashbacks will include Felicity when she's in college.

Arrow Season 3: What To Expect

Edited by tv echo

Yeah, that's one option I had thought of, as well.  There was another pic of her in the dress, with Stephen, also posted on her birthday.  The question then becomes, why take them the week before and wait to post them?  But I'm thinking too hard, aren't I?  Old pictures are probably the simplest reason, so I'll go with that.

Oh, I didn't notice what she was wearing in her pic with Stephen. I have no idea then, haha.

(edited)

KC is being rewarded? For what? 

I'm bewildered by how he seems to truly believe that KC hits grand slams when they ask her to.  Until that point, I was all behind him, and then it's just WTH?

I'd like to think of it as a consolation prize. Laurel doesn't get Oliver but she does get a storyline that is part of the A story at last, and she gets Ted Grant. Hopefully that will spur her to make Laurel a positive for the show because this is the last season of her contract.

We know that this season is going to be about Oliver choosing what he wants to be but I thought this was an interesting way of putting it

"We wanted to present Oliver with a new challenge with a villain that would speak to what Oliver was going through emotionally," executive producer Andrew Kreisberg tells TVGuide.com. "This season, Oliver is wrestling with, 'Is there a life for me beyond being the Arrow?' What the Season 3 villain comes to Oliver and says is, 'The reason you're not fully successful as the Arrow is because you're holding on to Oliver Queen. I have let go of my identity and embraced my cause and you should do the same.' It's a whole new thing where the enemy actually, in some ways, admires the Arrow and what he's doing. He just thinks that the Arrow is thinking too small."

That explains the clip about his Hong Kong guy telling him he can't be two people, and why he chooses not to have a relationship with Felicity.  Presumably (hopefully) the season will end with him realizing he can have both.

I really hope they cast a strong actor for the role of Ra's Al Ghul. We all remember how the writers botched Deathstroke's story in the end. Deathstroke is only a memorable Arrow villain now because of Manu Bennett's performance. 

With one main exception and maybe some of the short term characters (Jessica de Gouw), I think the casting on this show has been really strong, especially with the new characters that come on (Felicity, Sara, Slade, Shado).

The two things that stood out for me were Oliver willingly confiding in someone about his past and Waller threatening him in that past. I generally don't care for flashbacks and find them boring as hell but Waller brings a great negative energy to her scenes and though not a fan of the character, I do like the way the actress portrays her. Also Oliver loosening up and opening up about his past to a friend was a great way to show that he has people in in his life in front of whom he doesn't have to wear a mask.

Does anyone else feel that at this point the Arrow cast and EPs are giving out too much information. Not complaining, just worried about not being sufficiently surprised when the show finally airs. Again Ra's al Ghul's confirmation as the main antagonist was to be expected but felt thrilling to be confirmed cuz Ra's is Ra's. I'm sure Sara is tied to him some how and no matter how small an arc she has in this season, it will be really material in pushing the story forward in a great way.

There is a lot of information, partly because the second part of s2 made many people reconsider whether they wanted to be back for s3. So they're giving viewers what they've been asking for, Sara back, Olicity, Merlyn back and a really really big Big Bad.

But the way this shows burns through material, I'm not worried. There will be lost more in the season opener because it hits the beats for the rest of the season.

I like that Oliver initiates (!) talking to Felicity about his past. They've always been honest with each other since she learned he was the Arrow but he's always kept the bad things hidden. Telling her about the five years shows that he's trying to be more open and available in their relationship.

Stephen also expressed some concerns about story continuity in one of his recent Q&As - he wasn't specific but given how the show has handled story driven romance (Sara/Oliver, Slade/Shado, the messy Oliver/Laurel/Tommy) I think Stephen is right to have concerns. It's creating unnecessary drama, it makes Oliver look like a douche, and Laurel somehow ends up looking as bad as he does when viewers should be empathizing with her. Honestly, it would better to snip that romantic angst cord between her and Oliver and give her enough room to breathe to see where she can go. Of course, that's dependent on them giving her a decent story for once, but that's another post altogether.

Now, I don't know if KC questions these things with the writers or just goes with whatever they tell her, but Stephen has said many times that he's not shy about pitching things to the writers and EPs. He said he pitched some things about Oliver's child to the writers and it sounded like the EPs pitched the same thing back to him. I've gotten the impression that he's directly effected story before, as have other actors like Barrowman. We also know that he discusses long term season arcs with the writers and sometimes has more information than the other actors. This is why I tend to think Stephen made such bold statements about Oliver and Felicity because he's discussed this as a long term plan going forward. And honestly, if the EPs can't admit now, at least in private, that the Laurel/Oliver story isn't the greatest romance and has in fact been steadily unraveling since S1, then I fear this show has bigger storytelling issues coming than Oliver's love life. Their willingness to blast continuity has been troublesome to say the least.

I think more than anyone else in the cast, SA's involved in the longer term planning for the show. As well as the baby pitch, which shows both AK and MC respect his views and listen to him since they thought they had thought of it themselves, he also thought of the way Oliver, Sara and Roy went down into the tunnel with the LoA behind them.  SA's smart and he really cares about the show.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a producing credit next time around.

KC, on the other hand, seems to have to be told about her character and doesn't point out what could work better another way (cough, cough, white coat).

In the grand scheme of the Arrow universe, I don't think Oliver's love life is written in stone, and I don't think DC cares so much about endgame romance on this show. They're building a TV universe at the moment and I think they've given the EPS and writers of Arrow a lot of room for canon changes. Oliver's love life is really the least of these changes when DC has never cared about keeping Oliver and Dinah endgame in the comics anyway. So yes, I kind of think Stephen made these statements about the end of Lauriver and a new chapter in Oliver's life in good faith and because he has reason to believe this is the new direction. Of course it could change if the show goes past five seasons. But - and this is important - why dig an angst hole again if they don't have to? They'd be smarter to pick a direction (even if it's not Olicity) and stick with it and save focus for the bigger stories they want to tell.

My bolding.

Marvel did so well in the movies, much better than DC, but then Arrow was the most watched show on CW two years in a row and they've got one spin-off already with other DC heroes on other networks.  I think DC is hoping that this is their beach head and I'm betting that they're willing to give the Arrow producers whatever they need to make that happen.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 6
(edited)

-- This season is a "reward" to KC and WH for being a "team player" in past seasons.

Hopefully it's something along the lines of, "we gave BC to someone else because it wasn't working out, so here's a little actiony stuff to make up for it."

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3
(edited)

Someone (or thousands) gif'd the fight scene, and Oliver, Roy, and then Sara are fighting Peter Stormare.

Abruzzi is my one true love! This season with CL back, Laurel in on the secret and aiding Team Arrow, a black female cast member, Oliver and Felicity dating, Brandon Routh joining, no more Slade (potentially) Roy getting powers back (and a suit), Thea potentially going bad....this is gonna be my favourite season. Happiness!!!! Edited by slayer2
(edited)

Just when I thought my excitement level couldn't get any higher, Stephen answered a question in his Nerd HQ interview by saying that his favorite Olicity scene so far is a scene in the S3 premiere. Hold me.

BTW, since we haven't gotten to see that scene yet, he said his favorite Olicity scene that's aired was their very first scene. Who knew then that that one little scene would pretty much change the course of the show?

ETA: This isn't spoilery, but I thought it was funny and it kind of ties in to the debate about Stephen's comments about Felicity/Laurel/Sara yesterday. A fan noted the many questionable choices Oliver makes, and whether Stephen has ever expressed concern about them to the writers/producers. He said Oliver's romantic decisions thus far haven't been the best, and he asked TPTB if they could stop having Oliver sleep with every woman who shows up in Starling City. I love that he cares about stuff like that and how it affects his character. 

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 6

I think what AK meant (about Laurel) was that they've given her crap storylines like making her a very well turned out alcoholic(with perfectly manicured nails), a blackmailer, a dinner party bomber, and someone who knows the Arrow like her own name and KC went with all of it without once complaining.

Maybe the EPs think that she needs to be compensated for the brain damage the audience suffered; hence the reward. The writers really did a horrible job with Laurel's character...its their way of making it up to the poor woman.

• Love 1

ETA: This isn't spoilery, but I thought it was funny and it kind of ties in to the debate about Stephen's comments about Felicity/Laurel/Sara yesterday. A fan noted the many questionable choices Oliver makes, and whether Stephen has ever expressed concern about them to the writers/producers. He said Oliver's romantic decisions thus far haven't been the best, and he asked TPTB if they could stop having Oliver sleep with every woman who shows up in Starling City. I love that he cares about stuff like that and how it affects his character.

Per my previous post, I was not surprised by this. The asker wasn't specifically asking about romantic choices but where did Stephen go? Oliver's romantic choices. I'm very happy he took note of the complaints and took that to the writers/producers. I strongly suspect he advocated for a change (whether it was Olicity or not) and that whatever came out of that discussion is exactly why he seemed very firm on his answers yesterday about Oliver's love life going forward. No, he doesn't know everything that will happen in future seasons, but it sounds like there was some serious discussion and planning going on. Also, LOL that the writers were apparently clueless. They need more women in the writers' room. I know they have a few, but seriously

• Love 4

This actually makes me very happy. It's good to see his concerns over Oliver's wonderfully unhealthy sex life. It really puts one off Oliver the man.

• Love 2
-- -- This season is a "reward" to KC and WH for being a "team player" in past seasons.  AK feels that both WH and KC have been "such amazing team players" and "whenever we needed them to hit a double or a triple, they both of them hit grand slams.... This season in a way is their reward" and "for the audience as well who have been impatient for some aspects of both of their characters, that this season is really going to see people excited for their character journeys".

This is similar to what Marc Guggenheim said in a Hollywood Reporter interview: "Laurel and Thea are the two characters we haven't done as much with in the past, and they have the strongest storylines that we've ever given them," Guggenheim says.

They haven't done much with Thea, that's for sure. But has everybody forgotten Laurel's crucible/journey/island that took up a good chunk of the back half of Season 2?!?! I wasn't excited about that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Per my previous post, I was not surprised by this. The asker wasn't specifically asking about romantic choices but where did Stephen go? Oliver's romantic choices. I'm very happy he took note of the complaints and took that to the writers/producers. I strongly suspect he advocated for a change (whether it was Olicity or not) and that whatever came out of that discussion is exactly why he seemed very firm on his answers yesterday about Oliver's love life going forward. No, he doesn't know everything that will happen in future seasons, but it sounds like there was some serious discussion and planning going on. Also, LOL that the writers were apparently clueless. They need more women in the writers' room. I know they have a few, but seriously

Bolding is mine.

That was my take away from both interviews as well. Obviously things can change but it seems that SA hashed this out with the EPs. We know he had a meeting with them prior to the start of S3 (I think it was June). But this might even be older then that. He gave a very similar answer back in May (THR 5/14). The interviewer mentioned that when they interviewed KC earlier she said O/L were soul mates. SA answered that even with Laurel knowing the secret he didn't think they had a path forward beyond friendship.

So I'm going with SA knowing what he's talking about and his comments are true. Obviously no one knows what will happen in the future, EBR might leave the show and then O/F breaks up or worse Felicity gets killed off. Ratings tank and they go for a shocking hook up or stunt casting to boost ratings with new LI.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

I think what AK meant (about Laurel) was that they've given her crap storylines like making her a very well turned out alcoholic(with perfectly manicured nails), a blackmailer, a dinner party bomber, and someone who knows the Arrow like her own name and KC went with all of it without once complaining.

Maybe the EPs think that she needs to be compensated for the brain damage the audience suffered; hence the reward. The writers really did a horrible job with Laurel's character...its their way of making it up to the poor woman.

Agreed! Also same goes for WH, they made Thea whiny and unlikeable IMO so hearing that they are finally gonna give her and Laurel something good to do makes me happy.

See this is what confuses me. Laurel had an entire ostensible crucible in s2 and in just this viewer's opinion none were doubles, triples or a homerun.  Maybe a swinging bunt and beat out the throw to first...for the scene with Papa Lance in the hospital.  I think Willa got the short shrift more than anyone and what she did get IMO she did hit out of the park.  So I am happy that Willa is getting her story with Malcolm because I already have every confidence she'll be fantastic.  KC and Laurel...eh.....remains to be seen.

• Love 3

In the trailer, Ray was motioning at a screen behind him that showed a sunny image of "Star City." I wonder if part if his plans for QC including using it to rebrand and revitalize Starling City. Just like "The Vigilante," perhaps the city itself has to grow into its namesake. Wild speculation, but Ra's is a big thinker and if he were to disagree with Ray's vision, I could see him getting involved. I'd imagine that he already feels responsible for Starling since his dismissal of Malcolm allowed it to be massacred.

• Love 1

In the trailer, Ray was motioning at a screen behind him that showed a sunny image of "Star City." I wonder if part if his plans for QC including using it to rebrand and revitalize Starling City. Just like "The Vigilante," perhaps the city itself has to grow into its namesake. Wild speculation, but Ra's is a big thinker and if he were to disagree with Ray's vision, I could see him getting involved. I'd imagine that he already feels responsible for Starling since his dismissal of Malcolm allowed it to be massacred.

Is he meant to takeover the company? He's not a politician right? If he's the Atom apparent is one of his superpowers being really smart?

Because of their familial losses (son Tommy, mother Moira), "the three of them [Malcolm, Thea and Oliver] are sort of the only family they have left, in an odd way... it's a really messed up family".

I'm so excited about this. Really pulling for the show to stick the landing this year.

• Love 3

Is he meant to takeover the company? He's not a politician right? If he's the Atom apparent is one of his superpowers being really smart?

Wasn't this storyline set up with Ted Kord in mind? And they had to switch to Ray when they couldn't get Ted? Or did I misunderstand that? I mean, I know they wanted Ted and couldn't get him, but I don't know whether they wrote this storyline before or after they knew they couldn't get him.