Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I'm suddenly extremely interested in "Nanda Parbat" because my man Diggle is in chains with Oliver! OK, now since we know he's playing driver for the Arrow and the sidekicks in 3x18, any guesses how he and Oliver escape Ra's? A deal, maybe?

Oliver will make an offer? will be offered to join in LoA

I'm suddenly extremely interested in "Nanda Parbat" because my man Diggle is in chains with Oliver! OK, now since we know he's playing driver for the Arrow and the sidekicks in 3x18, any guesses how he and Oliver escape Ra's? A deal, maybe?

I feel like whatever Ra's offers Oliver, Oliver has to say no to it. We're getting far enough in the season now where Ra's has to start unleashing the fury. MG said Oliver was going to wish for the kind of trouble Slade gave him, so the bad stuff has to start soon.

What I don't quite understand is what exactly is offered for what? Oliver's gone so far to save Thea, I can't imagine what the line is. Is it joining the League? Something more than that?

I think Oliver and Diggle must flat-out escape. Maybe Maseo helps them?

Edited by apinknightmare

I really hope IOliver's reasoning for saving Malcolm is different than "Thea shouldn't lose a father" because if that is the reason I will be very annoyed. 

as apinknightmare said:  Malcolm threatens to expose Thea as Sara's killer to Ra's would be a good reason

While I wouldn't mind for Felicity to stretch her legs a bit and go out into the field (to help with her tech, of course), there's no logic as to why Felicity would assist Digg and Oliver. Why would Felicity go to Nanda Parbat to save Malcolm Merlyn when just the sight of him makes her ill with contempt? 

My initial reaction was based on my wrong assumption/interpretation that Laurel/Roy were also in Nanda Parbat. Since they aren't, well, er. I was wrong :)

My main issue, though, is that this is shaping up to be a plot pulling Felicity away from Team Arrow in order to help sell the Ray Palmer character/a potential spinoff. I'd agree that there's no particular reason for Felicity to want to save Malcolm Merlyn, and every reason for her not to save Malcolm Merlyn, but she still might want to come along to make sure that Oliver and Diggle are safe. Or to check out those hot springs. And if I'm right about the League of Assassins having WiFi, she could even do a bit of telecommuting with Palmer Industries. 

Speaking of that spinoff and the Atom Twitter account, while it sometimes does take Twitter a little while to verify accounts, so that alone doesn't mean anything, I think any Atom spinoff announcements are more likely to come through the usual press releases/Hollywood Reporter/Variety path. I'm also guessing - and this is a pure guess - that given the general tepid response to Ray so far, any Atom spinoff announcements won't be made until after fans respond to the suit next week and after Ray appears on Flash in a few more weeks.

Now watch me be totally wrong on that too, with an official Atom announcement tomorrow.

• Love 8

I think if there were an Atom spin-off, Brandon Routh would be tweeting it.  Sadly, nothing, just a lot of pictures from the episode.  I wonder if 118 or 319 are back-door spin-offs.  I think it's unlikely to get picked up next season since the CW has renewed just about every show they have, although they might try a mini-series like Galavant or Agent Carter.  If that happens, I can see Felicity starting it off as Ray's girl Friday.

I told Oliver he should trade MM for Thea's safety.  But does he ever listen to me?  Nooooooo.

Edited by statsgirl

I think an Atom spin-off is going to fail miserably so I fear Felicity will go there to prop.

What TIIC should do is take all the superheros on both shows and put them all in one show (FS, BC, Roy, Atom, Huntress etc....) and make Arrow about ARROW and the Flash about the Flash. Once a year they can have crossovers.

If Atom does become a spinoff, I expect the first episodes will have cameos from Felicity, Oliver and Barry, and a few crossover episodes later, but that's about it. 

But it's still an if.

See, I've been thinking about this and I have a slightly different take on things, though of course I could be (and probably am) totally wrong. A lot of people are speculating Thea turns Malcolm over to the League, but given this last episode that seems unlikely to me since she agreed with Oliver to let Malcolm continue training them (which is still stupid but anyway). So what I'm thinking is Thea doesn't want her brother or Roy or her friends to be hurt because of something she did, even if it wasn't actually her fault, and turns herself into the League. Malcolm, Oliver and Diggle are caught trying to get her back.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

@KirkB I like you speculation this would make SO much more sense in terms of character motivation.

I have stupid hope that 3.19 is Ray realising the type of hero that he needs to be is one fighting Metahumans...away from Starling City.

Ra's grew his hair! how... not becoming. And his favourite film must be The Last of the Mohicans by Michael Mann. Those hot coals?

But still, I suddenly need to watch this episode because of Diggle in the field. And since we know Digg's alive enough to get married, I'm not worried.

Perhaps Ra's offer is for Oliver to kill Malcolm himself. Probably the episode will end with Ra's making the offer - paralel with the flashback to Col. Shrike and his offer - and the mini-hiatus will leave us without an answer from Oliver.

As for why is Oliver risking his life to save Merlyn? I'm sticking to "saving Thea's soul" theory. This reason may be funny, but I believe it's good enough to the writers. You know? Not wanting another murder to stain his sister's soul? So he'll just risk his own death >again< and venture to Nanda Parbat.

(snarky side note: why didn't he take Laurel? Isn't she good enough?... Isn't her heart big enough to make all the encountered LoA members sucumb to her power?... No? Ok, then.)

I can't even begin to speculate what's going to happen around the 18th and 19th episodes (with the Flash's 18th thrown in).  However, based on how things overall look to be going, I think the following are more likely than not to happen:

- Quentin's rage over the loss of his daughter, the betrayal of his other daughter and ex-wife, will be further fueled once he finds out about Thea being the killer, Malcolm being alive and pulling all the strings, and Arrow protecting both master-mind and puppet

- Quentin may or may not have more serious heart problems brewing. I don't think he'll fall off the wagon but his health will start failing

- Laurel tries to prove to Quentin that she can handle being Black Canary but he rebuffs her at every angle. His rage grows

- Quentin finally comes to terms with Oliver being the Arrow - confirming everything he felt about the S1 vigilante; Arrow is a serial killer who needs to be in prison, or worse

- Quentin, at season's end, will die a hero's death, in the arms of Laurel, who he will forgive. She's now motivated to be the hero Quentin told her she was

- Laurel returns in S4 but goes off to train. She gives up her ADA job because she really wasn't good at it after all and had stopped showing up at the office anyway

- Felicity and Ray date, he's smitten, she's charmed but she's lying to herself. She really loves Oliver but she just can't with him

- Ray flies, he's awesome and he realizes that he doesn't have Felicity's full attention so he suggests they move to Central City

- Ray becomes the new benefactor of STAR Labs and renames it to Palmer Labs

- Ray pops the question to Felicity in the season finale and she says yes while realizing that it's a mistake but she ignores that voice inside her head - she's uber practical!

- Diggle becomes a stay at home dad because the writers stil can't figure out how to write for him

- Lyla is still in ARGUS

- Diggle is in the consultant role, wants to get back invovled but then Lyla is killed so he can't take any risks

- Diggle returns in S4 as the tech person because...

- everyone, including Ray, thinks Felicity is on her way to join him in CC but she's actually been kidnapped by Slade, who escaped his brief stint with ARGUS and got Felicity to remove the implanted bomb from his body

- Felicity only agrees to help him with that because he threatens to kill Oliver if she doesn't

- we don't know if Felicity will be on Arrow, the Flash or the Atom come Season 4 - maybe she'll be on ALL OF THEM

- Thea and Roy step in where Diggle had stepped out while he switches to comm duty

And Oliver...

- Oliver remains miserable because the show cannot let him be happy for more then 7 minutes at a time. Or in an episode

- He gets money from Walter (unseen, of course) to get QC back from Palmer, who sells at rock bottom, because he's so happy he got the girl, the suit and is ready to be the big fish in another pond

- He thinks Felicity is happy with Ray so he resolves to be Arrow/OQ without her; he's convinced Felicity never loved him because she never said the words (MG will insist she does in a series of snarky Tumblr Q&As)

- Laurel is now his right hand ally (before she goes off to train in the summer)

- final scene is of Oliver in the lair, alone, miserable. He sees one of the computer screens flicker and there's an image of Felicity, laying still (asleep? dead? unconscious?) on a bed at an unknown location; he gets a call from a modulated voice that says "She's mine now" - it's NOT an Australian accent, though

- We get a final look at Oliver's angry, brooding face with clenched jaw

Credits

• Love 10

Here we go again with the "justice" theme (attached to video promo of "Nanda Parbat") - they're clearly referring to the Atom as the "new face" of justice...

Arrow @CW_Arrow  ·  13h 13 hours ago
Justice has a new face in Starling City. #Arrow is all new Wednesday at 8/7c!

https://twitter.com/CW_Arrow

All these mentions of justice are leading up to something in the season finale, I can feel it:

-- "I'm the justice that you can't run from."

-- "Justice is the new black."

-- "Justice has a new face in Starling City."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I just posted in the Spoilers thread that AK retweeted the @TheAtomCW twitter account, so that seems to be verification it's genuine:  https://twitter.com/TheAtomCW

My guess is that they've set up a separate twitter account for the Atom to promote Ray's upcoming costumed debut on Arrow and to push for the spin-off (namely, build fan momentum, increase Ray's popularity, and pressure CW execs?).

Edited by tv echo

I just posted in the Spoilers thread that AK retweeted the @TheAtomCW twitter account, so that seems to be verification it's genuine:  https://twitter.com/TheAtomCW

My guess is that they've set up a separate twitter account for the Atom to promote Ray's upcoming costumed debut on Arrow and to push for the spin-off (namely, build fan momentum, increase Ray's popularity, and pressure CW execs?).

So what you are saying is we should start tweeting really enthusiastically in the hopes of making him go away.

• Love 7

(checks the account)  Yeah, this seems to be less a spinoff than an attempt to promote upcoming episodes. 

294 followers so far. Hmm.

I've figured out my problem with the ATOM suit: the suit itself is fine. It's the chin strap. I think it was inspired by the chin straps in NFL helmets, but I'm also pretty sure that the plan here is not to have Atom throw footballs around.

So what you are saying is we should start tweeting really enthusiastically in the hopes of making him go away.

Same dilemma as with the question of whether to watch the upcoming Ray/Atom-centric episode of Arrow (3x19?) - great ratings might be enough to give the green light on an Atom spin-off.  But what if the ratings are not good enough for a spin-off, but good enough to convince the EPs to make Ray Palmer a regular cast member on Season 4?

• Love 2

Same dilemma as with the question of whether to watch the upcoming Ray/Atom-centric episode of Arrow (3x19?) - great ratings might be enough to give the green light on an Atom spin-off.  But what if the ratings are not good enough for a spin-off, but good enough to convince the EPs to make Ray Palmer a regular cast member on Season 4?

It's been my understanding that it's too late to make a pilot for next fall but that they may still get a chance for a mid season replacement or a summer run, (based only on the full schedule and the timing, nothing else) so by that reasoning we are probably going to already have Ray back at least in the beginning of season 4 whether or not he gets a show of his own.

• Love 1

Are we're thinking 219 might be the soft or backdoor pilot for ATOM?

I was thinking that might be the case.  This is the episode we find out if he is a hero because he is a hero or because he has a suit.

When SA & DR were talking about a Suicide Squad spin off, they were mentioning  it as either a mid-season replacement or a short run after Arrow finished up for the year.  I believe the CW is talking about doing scripted shows for the summer IIRC.

Edited by Sunshine

If they were looking at an Atom show for next season, why didn't they have more Atom material in the front of the season? Have him come in more fully formed and get closer to Felicity than (since they seem to really want that). That way they have more of a way to gage the audience and time to cool off with Felicity before he leaves.

• Love 1

I guess Palmer isn't worried about hiding his identity since the stupidest part of the suit is the clear face plate. Unless his intention is to land, put his hands on his hips and go "Hi, I'm Ray Palmer and I'll be your superhero today." 

• Love 10

If the Atom gets a separate show that airs while Arrow and the Flash are in hiatus for the summer, any thoughts as to how both of those shows would handle developments once their shows come back? 

If the Atom gets a spinoff, there will be crossovers. Depending on when those a filmed, I can foresee a few of the actors being spread very thin (again). Felicity is, I think, the one most likely to be used for many reasons.  So would that impact her time on Arrow?  I wasn't joking when I said that she'd possibly be on all 3 shows.  I can see that happening. She'd be the main conduit for all the teams.

I wonder if the Atom will move to Coast City or someplace else to partially address this.  If the Atom is spun off, I don't see how he can exist as the main protagonist in Starling or Central Cities.

Also, how does the animated "Vixen" fit into all this?  I've only read a little bit about it and I have no idea how it will exist in the Flash/Arrow world other than it simply will. 

I guess Palmer isn't worried about hiding his identity since the stupidest part of the suit is the clear face plate. Unless his intention is to land, put his hands on his hips and go "Hi, I'm Ray Palmer and I'll be your superhero today." 

Can it be tho? Pretty Please?

It would mean that both Felicity and Oliver are stuck babysitting wannabe superheroes.

If they were looking at an Atom show for next season, why didn't they have more Atom material in the front of the season? Have him come in more fully formed and get closer to Felicity than (since they seem to really want that). That way they have more of a way to gage the audience and time to cool off with Felicity before he leaves.

I don't think they were thinking ATOM spin-off at first.  Everything I read seemed to indicate Suicide Squad until squashed by the movie announcement.  I think the only reason there is talk of an ATOM show is because Brandon Routh is playing the character.  Going into the season there was no indication they were spinning him off.  MG said something about they just wanted to create a cool character (eye roll).

Can it be accompanied by the Mighty Mouse Theme Song?  Here I Come to Save the Day!!!

• Love 7

Laughed at the image that conjured. I'm guessing they'll add a dark tint to hide Ray's identity when the suit actually debuts on the show. Because it would be extremely ridiculous (hah!) if the people of Starling are like, "Hey, aren't you that kooky dude from Palmer Tech?" I mean, even the ADA with the fingerless gloves knows to at least hide her face :P

I was under the impression that even in a backdoor pilot there should be a somewhat solid cast for the actual show. Because even the backdoor pilot should give oyu an impression on what the potential show could look like. It should be little Arrow cast and more potential new show cast.

If it were only Ray and the cast of Arrow any episode could have been a backdoor pilot. But maybe they have these plans...who knows. I am already preparing myself that he will stick around for S4. 

• Love 1

I am starting to think if there is an Atom spin-off that Felicity goes to that show. EBR gets to be billed as the top female cast member and it clears the way for KC to return to the main female lead on Arrow, which is all the EPs seem to care about this season.

I am starting to think if there is an Atom spin-off that Felicity goes to that show. EBR gets to be billed as the top female cast member and it clears the way for KC to return to the main female lead on Arrow, which is all the EPs seem to care about this season.

That would fit into the pattern that I think is emerging that the focus has shifted to the Flash/New Show and away from Arrow.  I think it could also spell the slow end of Arrow, because ratings would be affected if Felicity left. Maybe not a huge drop but there would be a noticable loss in viewers. I don't know if the demo would change, though.

Edited by writersblock51

Since Berlanti and DC seemed fixed on spinning off a show for every hero on the DC roster, how about making these series 10 - 13 episodes. Then, you can just run them all year long, not burn out your casts, and conceivably (probably not true because some of these writers suck regardless) have tighter scripts and stories. 

I don't think they've given up hope of an Atom spinoff, but at the moment, I don't really see any fan interest in that. 

• Love 3

The thing with shipping [heh] Felicity to an ATOM spin-off is it makes the entire thing they did with tying Oliver's humanity to his love for her completely null and void. So that would basically be the equivalent of stripping Arrow of its heart, and stripping Oliver of his soul. And if this is the journey from Pilot Episode robot killer to a warmer, fun-having, emotionally healthy closer-to-the-comics Green Arrow, then they just can't afford to do that.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 11

I really can't see them doing an ATOM spin-off and if they did, I doubt they'd ship Felicity there and not only because of the way they've tied her to Oliver's humanity. I'd guess they'd want to restart the show with a clean slate and a new love interest. And the thing with Ray and Felicity is that they've been very intentionally written as similar people. There's no room for angst there. They'd just be together. I can't see that appealing to a general audience. People want to watch a love story develop with chemistry and obstacles to overcome. Ray and Felicity just kind of…are. They're vanilla because they're so alike in too many ways.

Honestly, I think Ray is probably here to stay in s4 but for how long I don't know. I don't see a place for him on Arrow. Just the thought of him flying and shooting stuff with his powered suit is baffling to me when the show's protagonist shoots Arrows. It's completely jarring. Arrow should remain grounded. Take that stuff over to The Flash where it belongs.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 4

So, I guess we'll be seeing DC's version of Baymax, sorry, the ATOM flying next week, then? He's levitating from the ground in the spoiler pic already. Since 3x15 is supposed to be a game changer, will that be the final shot of the episode, him flying over Starling City? Or will the show continue pretending that it's still about Oliver Queen and have the final shot be Oliver and Ra's having a face-off again?

Regarding 3x16, do we know anything about it other than its title? Has there been any other spoilers about The Offer? I feel like I know of a bunch of spoilers happening in 3x17 and 3x18, and even some from 3x19, but the only thing that I can remember about 3x16 is that we'll see Roy's apartment.

• Love 3

Regarding 3x16, do we know anything about it other than its title? Has there been any other spoilers about The Offer? I feel like I know of a bunch of spoilers happening in 3x17 and 3x18, and even some from 3x19, but the only thing that I can remember about 3x16 is that we'll see Roy's apartment.

that is a really random spoiler lol. I'm guessing MG said that on tumblr? 

But really you're totally right. I actually don't know a single thing about 3x16, especially since the press release hasn't been released yet. Like we know so much about 3x17 and 3x18 but 3x16 is a total mystery. 

I think it's possible that they are actually going to go this direction. We've already seen RP in meetings with police and local officials about crime for some strange reason, so I could see it going an Iron Man Jr. route, where he basically presents himself as an asset of the city, where he'd work within the bounds of the law or whatever. That would make the distinction between Oliver's approach and Ray's approach pretty stark (heh) right from the jump. Plus, if we're headed that way with Oliver too, it would be sort of a way for Oliver to learn something from Ray (vomit).

I am leaning toward the possibility that the gamechanger of Ep 18 is Oliver (and maybe everyone) having their cover blown publicly. It would certainly change the dynamic of the show, but I'm also not sure how that would work for someone like Oliver--who will one day run QC again, according to The Flash. One approach I could imagine is if they arrest Oliver and he won't talk, and then Roy and possibly others put on the suit and also get arrested, and the whole thing is like, how do you pin anything on one person if you don't know who did what? Then after the dust settles, going forward, Oliver could always just be like *wink-wink* I have no idea who the Arrow is, but he seems like he's doing good for the city, so I support him. It could just be like a known secret. Does that make any sense?

• Love 7

I think it's possible that they are actually going to go this direction. We've already seen RP in meetings with police and local officials about crime for some strange reason, so I could see it going an Iron Man Jr. route, where he basically presents himself as an asset of the city, where he'd work within the bounds of the law or whatever. That would make the distinction between Oliver's approach and Ray's approach pretty stark (heh) right from the jump. Plus, if we're headed that way with Oliver too, it would be sort of a way for Oliver to learn something from Ray (vomit).

I am leaning toward the possibility that the gamechanger of Ep 18 is Oliver (and maybe everyone) having their cover blown publicly. It would certainly change the dynamic of the show, but I'm also not sure how that would work for someone like Oliver--who will one day run QC again, according to The Flash. One approach I could imagine is if they arrest Oliver and he won't talk, and then Roy and possibly others put on the suit and also get arrested, and the whole thing is like, how do you pin anything on one person if you don't know who did what? Then after the dust settles, going forward, Oliver could always just be like *wink-wink* I have no idea who the Arrow is, but he seems like he's doing good for the city, so I support him. It could just be like a known secret. Does that make any sense?

The thought of Felicity donning the Hood to fool Police would be awesome but likely won't happen. Probably Roy and Diggle don the Hood

Does anyone care about Palmer? I'm not paying too much attention to the media coverage this show gets, but I get the impression that there's been little to no enthusiasm about The Atom. If I'm right on that, then why exactly would anyone think the guy is likely to get a spinoff? The CW doesn't have that many shows as it is, are they really going to want to fill half their slate with middling-to-bad superhero shows that have a very limited shelf-life?

There would surely need to be a real clamour for an Atom show, either from the audience or from within the network (presumably, this is what got The Flash off the ground), and I just don't think it's there. I could be wrong though, and Palmer could be massively popular amongst fans who don't post here or on any articles I have read about the show.

If I was writing this show, then I would have Ray be a tragic example of why very few people are cut out to be vigilantes. I would have him be earnest in his desire to save the city, and to devote resources to it and build his silly suit, and perhaps have some initial success. But then he comes up against a villain he can't beat with technology, and ends up being killed. It would give the show some resonance that the needless deaths of women haven't, it would put Oliver himself in a brighter light because he's one of the few people who can do this successfully, and it would give them the chance to show a villain (perhaps Ra's himself) as a real danger to be feared. But I don't write this show, and the people who do want all the masked heroes they can possibly scavenge out of DC's bargain bin.

• Love 3

that is a really random spoiler lol. I'm guessing MG said that on tumblr? 

But really you're totally right. I actually don't know a single thing about 3x16, especially since the press release hasn't been released yet. Like we know so much about 3x17 and 3x18 but 3x16 is a total mystery. 

I think it's supposed to be Ray?  Doesn't Felicity "get him out of the office?"