Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I think David Ramsey and someone else mentioned that the team will be working with ARGUS and has been working with them even during the break. which is how they make money and are able to fund various things.

so if anything, i would bet my money on ARGUS being the money machine rather than Ra's.

That's a relief! I hadn't even considered Ra's being involved with the money until they started cutting everybody's interviews together. Geez.

I cannot keep it straight where I read what anymore, but wasn't there a spoiler about Lyla running ARGUS, even if temporarily? That would certainly facilitate Team Arrow's access to their resources.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is it just me or is there a lot going on this season already? It feels like there's even more plot than last year.

We have Oliver (baby, Felicity, QC), Diggle (A.R.G.U.S., baby, H.I.V.E., Suicide Squad), Felicity (Ray, Oliver, backstory), Roy (cop killer, someone from his past coming back?), Thea (Malcolm, her "island" year), Malcolm (Ra's/LOA, Thea), Quentin (police captain, crazy daughters), Laurel (Wildcat, DA, magical jacket), Sara (Nyssa, LOA), Ray (Felicity, Atom, QC, tragic backstory?). Plus we have Katana and Maseo in Hong Kong and crossovers with The Flash. Also, we have potentially recurring characters like Waller, Sin, Lyla, Deadshot and more.

I don't know how they're going to fit all of this into 23 episodes, at least you can't say that Arrow is boring...

Edited by drspaceman10
  • Love 3
(edited)

We have Oliver (baby, Felicity, QC), Diggle (ARGUS, baby, H.I.V.E., Suicide Squad), Felicity (Ray, Oliver, backstory), Roy (cop killer, someone from his past coming back?), Thea (Malcolm, her "island" year), Malcolm (Ra's/LOA, Thea), Quentin (police captain, crazy daughters), Laurel (Wildcat, DA, magical jacket), Sara (Nyssa, LOA), Ray (Felicity, Atom, QC, tragic backstory?). Plus we have Katana and Maseo in Hong Kong at least if not in the present day and crossovers with The Flash.

I don't know how they're going to fit all of this into 23 episodes...

I have the feeling they're going to fit it in in the first 5 episodes.

And don't forget the Flash cross-overs in episodes 8.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

Is it just me or is there a lot going on this season already? It feels like there's even more plot than last year.

Quentin (police captain, crazy daughters),

hahaha seriously, Dinah and Quentin had some questionable parenting skills that they ended up with daughters with the most dysfunctional relationship.

During comic con, Paul Blackthorne mentioned that he is worried about what his daughters are up to in season 3 but he is not too worried because he has raised them well and I was like ... seriously dude? You are gonna go there? One of them ran away with other's boy friend and then became a deadly ninja assassin, the other threw a exploding glass on the first one because that girl could nurse a grudge like no other. In addition, she is a first class blackmailer with a tendency of alcoholism and substance abuse and you think you raised them well?

I bet there was some head injury that happened off screen during season final for him to have arrived at this conclusion.

• Love 5

We have Oliver (baby, Felicity, QC), Diggle (A.R.G.U.S., baby, H.I.V.E., Suicide Squad), Felicity (Ray, Oliver, backstory), Roy (cop killer, someone from his past coming back?), Thea (Malcolm, her "island" year), Malcolm (Ra's/LOA, Thea), Quentin (police captain, crazy daughters), Laurel (Wildcat, DA, magical jacket), Sara (Nyssa, LOA), Ray (Felicity, Atom, QC, tragic backstory?). Plus we have Katana and Maseo in Hong Kong and crossovers with The Flash. Also, we have potentially recurring characters like Waller, Sin, Lyla, Deadshot and more.

I don't know how they're going to fit all of this into 23 episodes, at least you can't say that Arrow is boring...

I'm not too worried. Alot of this is- in my opinion- just minor subplots (if not just information) that looks major but really is minor and will probably only be casually referenced, if at all, or will just be straight out shown without pointing it out.

Don't forget a picture worth a 1000 words... a small shot in a scene is the same.

I don't think this has been posted yet - I don't recall reading this spoiler before...

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buzz-Once-Sons-Greys-Spoilers-1085057.aspx

Thank you so much for all the Arrow scoop lately! Any more tidbits lying around?
Oliver's list is gone! Stephen Amell revealed to me that when Arrow returns for Season 3, Ollie will be busy picking off all the major crime bosses, whose names are now kept neatly organized on a board in his lair. That could problematic when Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh) comes into the picture. "We both bid for Queen Consolidated in the season premiere," Amell says. "Spoiler alert: He gets it."

Looks like Velocity23 beat me to linking the above video.

Anyways what I found interesting about the interview.

Mixing the epic quality of Season 2 with the mystery aspects of Season 1.(I think this is true especially with the back-story of Oliver). Caity Lotz to be in minimum of 5 episodes and they want to do her flashbacks about how she made made it from the boat incident to LOA and her evolution as an assassin. We will see more of Katrina Law and they are going to make some announcements about it. They have an awesome story for Slade Wilson but it depends on the schedule. Thea will move towards the ass kicking spectrum of the characters on the show and this Season will be a battle for Thea's soul. Laurel will start trying to walk the path that her sister walked. Praises Brandon Routh as an actor and Ray will be the Tennis partner to Felicity's banter

• Love 1
(edited)

So they went from 3 to 4 and now at least 5 episodes for Sara/CL?

How much you want to bet that by the end of the season she'll be in as many episodes as JB (18).?  LOL

Wow...that's the best they can give Laurel?  Am I my sister?  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
(edited)

Interesting bits from the Examiner interview:

Sara:

while they originally had a deal to bring Caity Lotz back for three episodes, the current count is at least five. They "have really cool plans for her."

He also mentions again that they want to do a flashback episode taking Sara from the freighter to becoming an assassin. Which means that can't be what "Sara" is about, since they haven't done it yet.

Thea:

This season is about Thea's soul, and "it's 'Arrow,' so it's not necessarily going to have a happy ending to it," Guggenheim warned. "There is the potential in her name. We've been calling her Speedy since the pilot, but one of the things we like to do is play against that expectation. Hopefully the ups and downs of Thea's arc this year will be compelling but also surprising."

Laurel:

"she's going to start trying to walk the path that her sister walked, which is sort of something set up in the season finale."

Ray and Felicity:

"We're trying to write a little bit of a Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn kind of relationship."

ETA: looks like abhi beat me to most of this. ;)

Slade:

They have an awesome story for Slade, so it's just a matter of scheduling and the creative timeline.

I have to admit, I'm not really excited about seeing more of Slade. I really liked Slade before his motivations stopped making any sense at all (and I was amused when even Manu Bennett joked about it). It's one of the parts of season two that I thought the writers totally messed up, and I'd just as soon move on and try to forget what a mess it was. :(

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
(edited)

So they went from 3 to 4 and now at least 5 episodes for Sara/CL?

How much you want to bet that by the end of the season she'll be in as many episodes as JB (18).?  LOL

Well she did guest star for 20 out of 23 episodes last season. So I can see her having 13-18 eps this season. Although I heard something about CL being cast in a Mortal Kombat webseries (that I didn't know existed) possibly as Sonya Blade. James Bamford is/was part of it too. If that's true they may have to work around that since it starts filming soon. That could also be why her episode count is trickling in, instead of being announced as whole.

So they really are going forward with Laurel just wants what Sara has. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Hmm, typing all those long sentences slowed me down. :)

I watched the Colton Interview and I am confident that he talks about Laurel's shovel act in relation to team Arrow, especially when he says "she is starting to meddle in everyone's business", "laurel is using her brain to uncover even more secrets than she already knows/has."

What kind of banter did Tracy and Hepburn have?

Here is a cute short scene of them from Woman of the Year. 

Tracy was the goof, for lack of a better word, more physical comedy and Hepburn was more of the dead pan delivery, eye rolling at him. They played back and forth with each other.

• Love 1

Here is a cute short scene of them from Woman of the Year. 

Tracy was the goof, for lack of a better word, more physical comedy and Hepburn was more of the dead pan delivery, eye rolling at him. They played back and forth with each other.

Right-e-o. I'll check that out.

OK cool. I look forward to it.

(edited)

I don't think Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn would be a good analogy or model for Ray and Felicity.  Tracy & Hepburn were a prime example of opposites attracting.  He often played the gruff, tell-it-like-it-is, 'man's man' kind of guy in the movies.  She often played the rich or upper-class, somewhat snooty, independent woman.  What I didn't like was that their movies often seemed to involve Tracy's character taking Hepburn's character down a peg (see Adam's Rib).  In real life, he was much older and they had a 25-year love affair even though he was married.

Actually, since one of the Arrow EPs previously compared Brandon Routh to Cary Grant, a better analogy for Ray & Felicity would be to use Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story.

It's funny but I had speculated previously in this thread that Ted Grant, former boxer, and Laurel, snooty lawyer, could engage in Tracy & Hepburn-type bickering.

The original bickering pair was Benedict and Beatrice in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing - two people who masked their attraction for each other behind adversarial verbal sparring and ultimately discovered that they were in love.

I hope the Arrow EPs provide some motivation for why Laurel would "start trying to walk the path that her sister walked."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Caity Lotz's status as guest star is looking more and more to me as the studio vetoed an overall budget that included her as regular [barrowman costs way more than Susanna Thompson did? Probably?], but one way they can circumvent it is to just include her in as many episodes as they can, so she fits into individual episode's budget.

And by keeping it ~mysterious, they're creating buzz around Sara.

My response to that guy being cast as Wild Cat (beyond Oh He's Cute) is there's no way he's old enough to be Felicity's father. I really liked that idea.

I was hoping that the Show wasn't stupid enough to have Laurel investigate the other members of the Arrow Cave but optimism fails again. Accidentally discovering what Roy did and then being unsure of what to do is one thing but actively looking into their pasts is crossing a line, it's not something she has the right to do. Are they giving up on us ever liking Laurel? Because this is a good way to demonstrate that.  

• Love 3

Do you think it possible that Sara might die this season? I can't think of any other reason why they haven't included her as a regular, after being in 20/23 episodes last season, but they included John Barrowman as a regular. 

(edited)

I'm worried she'll die, but not convinced. I think one reason she's not a regular is that they went through part of her journey last season, and this season is about Laurel's journey instead. So they don't need her there full-time, and in fact she might just be in the way of that story if we had to spend too much time on her.

Edited by Carrie Ann

I'm worried she'll die, but not convinced. I think one reason she's not a regular is that they went through part of her journey last season, and this season is about Laurel's journey instead. So they don't need her there full-time, and in fact she might just be in the way of that story if we had to spend too much time on her.

Yeah especially if they are aiming at a Laurel/Black Canary transformation, Sara might be in the way of that storyline. 

I think its a budget issue more than anything. After the first Season, they had told Barrowman that they wanted him as a regular in Season 3. So, around December Barrowman was deciding his schedule for 2014-15 and he gave a call to the EPs saying that if they wanted him as a regular they should inform him as soon as possible and he really wanted to reprise the role of Malcom. So, after 2 weeks he got confirmation that he will be a regular in Season 3.(around December). Barrowman did an interview with tvline where he talks about it. 

I think the reason they are holding on to Sara is because they are hedging their bets with Laurel. If at the end of this season when they remove her from toxic Lauriver, give her agency in the A plot, have her in the know about team Arrow and interacting with the Team, and give her a love interest and that character is still the one the media points to as the problem she'll be gone. Personally if I have to sit through a Laurel romance arc I'm really hoping the writers go toward a Scarlett O'Hara/ Rhett Butler or even Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew with Petruchio and Kate. A relationship where Laurel is snotty, spoiled, jealous and Wildcat makes fun of her, teasing about. I could at least tolerate that storyline if he treats her like the flawed character we know she is. If Felicity is the voice of the audience for Team Arrow than let Ted Grant be the voice of the audience for Laurel but he would be doing it because he cares about and wants her to be better.

In Guggenheim's interview above he brings up Laurel and tries to tease her becoming the BC. When he says that people will be really interested in her story he looks away, a good tell that someone is lying. He almost tries to lead the interview toward, "Come on ask me about Laurel" and the interviewer goes right back to Thea. Guggenheim almost looks annoy, he sighs - face tightens, then he smiles and moves on. If they keep getting the "lets talk about anyone other than Laurel" from the media I think Sara will be the BC going forward. Or that they are at least holding on to that possibility.

• Love 8

I think the reason they are holding on to Sara is because they are hedging their bets with Laurel. If at the end of this season when they remove her from toxic Lauriver, give her agency in the A plot, have her in the know about team Arrow and interacting with the Team, and give her a love interest and that character is still the one the media points to as the problem she'll be gone. Personally if I have to sit through a Laurel romance arc I'm really hoping the writers go toward a Scarlett O'Hara/ Rhett Butler or even Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew with Petruchio and Kate. A relationship where Laurel is snotty, spoiled, jealous and Wildcat makes fun of her, teasing about. I could at least tolerate that storyline if he treats her like the flawed character we know she is. If Felicity is the voice of the audience for Team Arrow than let Ted Grant be the voice of the audience for Laurel but he would be doing it because he cares about and wants her to be better.

In Guggenheim's interview above he brings up Laurel and tries to tease her becoming the BC. When he says that people will be really interested in her story he looks away, a good tell that someone is lying. He almost tries to lead the interview toward, "Come on ask me about Laurel" and the interviewer goes right back to Thea. Guggenheim almost looks annoy, he sighs - face tightens, then he smiles and moves on. If they keep getting the "lets talk about anyone other than Laurel" from the media I think Sara will be the BC going forward. Or that they are at least holding on to that possibility.

Yeah but KC has been training (if you look at pictures, her muscles are pretty impressive lol) so I assume she'll be doing some sort of crime fighting this season. 

• Love 1
(edited)

But if Wildcat is only arriving, will they be covering her toned arms or offer an explanation? PB mentioned Lances recovery was long and he still has some issues, i don't think she would be training while her father was still in bad condition? It seems every girl on Arrow has been training during hiatus. 

Edited by Velocity23

But if Wildcat is only arriving, will they be covering her toned arms or offer an explanation? PB mentioned Lances recovery was long and he still has some issues, i don't think she would be training while her father was still in bad condition? It seems every girl on Arrow has been training during hiatus. 

Yeah, they could do what they did with Oliver during the early flashbacks, just cover her arms. And yeah it's funny both Willa and Katie have posted pictures of them training. 

It's like Jacob on New Moon who was buff before he wolfed out. They just sort of mention it in passing but psy no real attention to it until necessary.

(edited)

I also think it was a budget issue, otherwise why were they promoting CL during Comic Con? (she was supposed to be at the Arrow panel and the DC panel). She's a guest character now a recurring character, it wasn't necessary for her to be there. SDCC panels are mostly saved for the regulars (unless you are CC favorite like Barrowman). CL's episode count seems to be going up with each new interview that's released. (I bet KC is not too happy about that). However if she does have another project in the works they are probably having to work around that as well. 

KC has been training because of what she thinks is happening, but it doesn't look like she knows anything about what her characters is doing this season. They may have Laurel finally take the initiative and learn some real self defense after being damseled for the 800th time. But I have noticed that they are not saying Laurel will become BC or anything about Sara just being part of her journey towards BC anymore. I do think this their test this season for the Laurel character, if her 100th new direction/personality change takes, then Sara can be shoved aside, if not Sara is still waiting in the wings to keep the BC title. 

I find it funny that CL never had to show off her muscles before hand and we bought her as a super hero. Probably because she had actual proof of what she could do on video and it was more then just look at my muscles. The fact that she can scale walls, leap across buildings and do back flips off walls is hardcore. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
(edited)

Why you leave Emily out? *pouts* I know i know she didn't post any exercising pic. But she and Willa share the same trainer. 

haha true, true. I just didn't mention Emily because she hasn't posted any pictures. Don't worry I love EBR. 

Edited by ban1o

Orion, you make a good point with the media issue. Someone at TVLine was complaining once about the lack of Laurel info (this has been a while back, not recently) and Matt Mitovich pointed out that he's one of the few TV writers who actually does ask about Laurel. Which is true. And honestly, it brings me back, again, to them really having shot themselves in the foot with Sara. Because now, why would the media care about Laurel anymore? Most of their readers, save for the comic book specific sites, are not comics fans. As far as the casual viewer is concerned, the show already has a Canary. How many people other than comics purists and Laurel fans care that her name isn't Dinah Laurel? That takes the urgency and interest out of Laurel's journey to Canary right there. And now that Felicity has for all practical purposes taken over the female romantic lead role, there's even less reason to care about whatever's going on with Laurel.

It makes me think that the issue might not be so much getting people to stop hating Laurel as to getting people to care about her in the first place.

• Love 10

From that Guggenheim interview linked above:

Also back is Sara, and while they originally had a deal to bring Caity Lotz back for three episodes, the current count is at least five. They "have really cool plans for her." They're dying to do a flashback story taking Sara from the downing of the freighter in episode 223 up to her time with the League of Assassins to show her evolution into an assassin. Will there be more Katrina Law? Announcements are forthcoming.

They sure are investing a hell of a lot of time and thought into Sara's backstory and transformation into a badass fighter.  Problem is, if they are trying to parallel this with Laurel's journey, I can see this backfiring in a major way.  Even if the EPs aren't trying to compare the two women, I can see this backfiring in a major way.  Whether intentional or not, it seems like Laurel is being set up to fail.  Sara has the connections to the big bad of the season, the proper training that she received from the League, and the motivation to beat up bad guys.  Are they really going to go out of their way to show us more of that and then just rip it all away from Sara and give it to Laurel?  I just don't get it...is it another one of these situations where the EPs have seriously miscalculated how the audience is going to react?!

• Love 7
(edited)

Yeah if the show wanted people to actually care about Laurel it was a huge mistake to bring Sara on as the Black Canary. (Not that I don't think Caity Lotz is absolutely fantastic). I think they wanted her to be the gateway for Laurel to becoming  the Canary, but she's too popular now for people to care about Laurel becoming the canary. Even most comic fans don't really care and since Laurel isn't the most popular character, they just want Sara to remain as the Canary. Since we already have Black Canary, why would people care about Laurel becoming Black Canary? Also  I think a lot of people would be mad if they killed Sara off just so Laurel could take the mantle. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 5
(edited)

He also mentions again that they want to do a flashback episode taking Sara from the freighter to becoming an assassin. Which means that can't be what "Sara" is about, since they haven't done it yet.

I think that they should do a 13 episode series for Sara's journey from the freighter to becoming an assassin. I don't think one episode is enough time, even if it is similar to The Odyssey or The Promise where it was mostly flashback. Plus it would be nice to have a show about a female superhero for a change.

Edited by drspaceman10
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think not making CL a regular is a budget thing.  They knew they wanted to make Barrowman a regular in s3 and I bet he costs a lot.  But it's funny how they keep upping her number of episodes and her importance to the storyline.

Manu Bennett was interested in coming back but it would come second to a full time gig.

Wow...that's the best they can give Laurel?  Am I my sister?  

They did give her Ted Grant, a  hunky love interest who helps underprivileged children. He's a good-doer too.  (Does anyone remember him from Emily Owens?  Was he the friend of Micah's who had the affair with the chief surgeon and left?

I don't know if KC can do romantic banter, but Taming of the Shrew would be a good place for them.  (I never liked Scarlett O'Hara, she was too self-absorbed and I don't want to see Felicity playing Melanie to Laurel's Scarlet.)

I still think they're  holding on to Sara in case they get a BoP spin-off.  That would be a good place to give her lots of backstory.

"she's going to start trying to walk the path that her sister walked, which is sort of something set up in the season finale."

I think the wording "trying to walk" is interesting. They're certainly leaving themselves an out if they keep Sara as the BC.

Why you leave Emily out? *pouts* I know i know she didn't post any exercising pic. But she and Willa share the same trainer. 

There are very few training pics of Emily.  (I can remember only one of after-training.)  I like that she doesn't feel the need to promote the fact that she's training.

Brandon Routh is joining the cast as Ray Palmer, which gives Felicity a "tennis partner" because, from a dialogue perspective, she "lives in a different world from everyone else." "We couldn’t have been more thrilled" with Brandon Routh, the EP shared. "We're trying to write a little bit of a Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn kind of relationship."

Okay, is it Cary Grant or Spencer Tracy?  

I'd rather have Cary Grant myself because Tracy was earthier and more goofy while Cary Grant was as stylish and had the same silly banter as Katherine Hepburn did.  Most people are more familiar with The Philadelphia Story but two years earlier they were in Holiday, by the same playwright Philip Barry, in which they're both kind of goofy and silly.  It's the same year they made Bringing up Baby, also both clever and screwball. 

when Arrow returns for Season 3, Ollie will be busy picking off all the major crime bosses, whose names are now kept neatly organized on a board in his lair.

Learning the organization required for being CEO must have paid off.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5

I'm a on comics site and most of them prefer Sara to Laurel, they even had a poll over who should be the Black Canary and it was Sara 91 votes to Laurel's 28. So most comic fans don't even care that her name isn't Dinah at this point. There are some that are hoping that Laurel can be turned around this season but that's a wait and see thing right now. 

Also continuing to show me how badass Sara is while she continues to wear the BC outfit, isn't going to help me want to see Laurel as the BC. 

• Love 1
(edited)

this is precisely where I'm at with Sara this season, too. 

I also think keeping Sara on - with each episode count that increases - is the studio's way to protect itself in the event that Laurel S3 doesn't work.  Which is a good plan, I suppose.

What I don't get, like many of you have explained here, is why the show is working at cross purposes:

- filling in yet more gaps in Sara's history about how she became the Canary & connecting those pieces to what's happening now

- having Laurel try to be like her sister

Laurel's 'island' was last year and she reacted to the kidnappings, anger, grief and betrayals by becoming an addict & a blackmailer.  Even if you took OUT the depth of what we saw of Sara (and just had her return, not even as BC), Laurel's "island" is paltry compared to what Oliver - and Thea - went through.  Laurel has been shown to have NO motivation to become a vigilante, none. 

But the show spent a LOT of time on Sara's story, past & present, and there's yet more to come.

WHY?

If the show wants the general audience to embrace Laurel as BC, this is the absolute worse way to go about it, in my opinion. 

There is no reason, really, to fill in more of the gaps in Sara's post-Gambit life unless she is going to remain BC.  Keeping her on the show, giving us more of her background, will only enhance her standing & credibility as BC.  At the same time, whatever Laurel does will show her as a far less viable BC option.

I truly hope her 'trying to walk' the path her sister took means that she takes her frustrations with an oft unfair justice system and becomes a hero who helps balance things out.  Maybe that hero is Manhunter, maybe it's someone else.  But there's no way I woiuld ever buy her as Black Canary.

As for Laurel and Ted's potential relationship, I agree that the 'Taming of the Shrew' style of banter would be more likely with KC's acting ability/choices.  I don't know J.R. Martinez at all to recommend it one way or the other.

Laurel getting involved with Team Arrow's secrets will not help me like her at all.  the only scenario that I can foresee being able to tolerate (and by that, I mean I would merely FF her scenes, not skip the episode altogehter) would be if she comes across key, disturbing facts (the 2 dead cops) and carefully - sensitively - constructively - talks to the team about them.  If I see one sign of smug, I'm done.

Edited by writersblock51
  • Love 3