Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I see this differently. If Oliver goes "Felicity, I love you so much but I can't be with you because <insert reasons here>", I really don't see him as poor self-sacrificing hero giving up his own happiness to protect Felicity from him... I see him as idiot with issues, but at least he's gonna be dealing with those issues without leading Felicity on. And if he shuts her down, I don't wanna see her pining, I wanna see her try to move on.

He can pine, though, because it's him who's being an idiot. *g*

Plus, I dunno, but I also don't find the notion of Oliver protecting Felicity from himself at all romantic. I find it controlling, and undermining of Felicity being capable of making her own informed decisions.

I also don't think Felicity moving on is a bad thing because these aren't issues, they are Oliver's issues. They're emotional issues for him to overcome because she's been there for 2 years, getting into trouble and he saving her. The difference wouldn't be she's in more danger, it's that his heart is on the line more.

I also think Oliver controlling the pace of their relationship is a tad controlling. She said it's her life her choice but he'd be making the choice to not pursue in the face of trouble (I assume). Her life can't and shouldn't revolve around Oliver so move on. Let him deal with himself. If you get the chance later on then that's fine.

It's up to him to decide whether or not he can be Arrow and Oliver Queen or come to grips that he's not one or the other, he's both. And she accepts that.

I see this differently. If Oliver goes "Felicity, I love you so much but I can't be with you because <insert reasons here>", I really don't see him as poor self-sacrificing hero giving up his own happiness to protect Felicity from him... I see him as idiot with issues, but at least he's gonna be dealing with those issues without leading Felicity on. And if he shuts her down, I don't wanna see her pining, I wanna see her try to move on.

He can pine, though, because it's him who's being an idiot. *g*

Plus, I dunno, but I also don't find the notion of Oliver protecting Felicity from himself at all romantic. I find it controlling, and undermining of Felicity being capable of making her own informed decisions.

It is very Twilight isn't it? 

• Love 3

I also think Oliver controlling the pace of their relationship is a tad controlling. She said it's her life her choice but he'd be making the choice to not pursue in the face of trouble (I assume). Her life can't and shouldn't revolve around Oliver so move on. Let him deal with himself. If you get the chance later on then that's fine.

It's up to him to decide whether or not he can be Arrow and Oliver Queen or come to grips that he's not one or the other, he's both. And she accepts that.

Yup. It's also Oliver being a controlling idiot that makes him wanna bench Diggle. It's Oliver feeling entitled to make decisions for other people. What makes it interesting, and highly watchable for me is that it comes from a good place. Oliver wants to protect Dig and Felicity from being physically and emotionally hurt, respectively. He's just going about it in a way that makes him a bit of an asshole. And I'm fine with that -- he's gonna have the entire season to figure that out.

• Love 2

I've been missing seeing interviews with the women, especially in the round tables where most of the good stuff has been coming out. I was wondering how we could test this idea, that CL, EBR and KC were deliberately kept away from events where they could be asked questions or if it was just that their shooting ran late.  We've been told that there's a rooftop scene between Sara and Laurel so that may have been what they were shooting Friday night.  The question is whether there is a Felicity scene that doesn't have Oliver, Diggle, Roy, or Quentin in it. If there isn't, it may well be that they deliberately kept EBR away..

The only way I can think to try to figure out if the women were intentionally kept away or busy shooting was to look up flight times.  The flight from Vancouver to San Diego is 2 hours and 25 minutes long. If they shot until 4am, even adding in 5 hours for to and from airports and make up and hair once they arrived, there still should have been plenty of time to get them to the panel which iirc happened around 2pm and there definitely should have been time for all of them to be there for the autographs which were around 5pm.  Other than that I can't think of anything definite.

Arrow is using Felicity as the "beloved character" (I know not everyone loves her but their focus groups must suggest most do) to launch a lot of the new ventures. For example, if you want the new guy or girl to instantly be liked by fans, make Felicity like them (Barry & Sara). Want to pull the Arrow audience to watch the Flash, have Felicity crossover (The EPs saying Felicity would be the glue between the shows). Want to try to get the viewers buying comics, announce the Felicity character is going to be included in the Green Arrow world. She's the audience member on screen most of the time, you need her to continue to be loved (they already learned their lesson about what happens when the romantic lead is not loved), so keeping her as far away from any potential flash points that would anger fans ( the death of ships) just makes sense.  Sending SA out to take any potential flack, protects her and he, as the hero, is the person that could easily absorb any anger the fans feel toward those decisions.

They would want to keep KC away because 1. she has a problem during interviews to begin with 2. She is not well loved and potential questions directed to her, outside of shipping, could be uncomfortable and 3. she has essentially lost her leading lady status and no one wants to put someone in the position where they have to admit they failed.  I know some people won't see her as having lost her lead lady title but when she was hired her character was the one true love of Oliver Queen and the future Black Canary. One of those is definitely gone (at least for the time being) and the other is not without it's detractors. That would have put her in a very uncomfortable position during the panels and interviews, especially if she was seated next to SA while he smiled and teased Olicity going forward and the sinking of the Lauriver ship.

All of that is supposition on my part and I suspect beyond educated guessing we will never know since this is all kinda like watching sausages get made, things kept in the background. When PR is working correctly the average person should never know what is going on behind the scenes.  But to me it all lines up.

• Love 6

@Orion -- ITA. My educated guess is that they wanted to protect KC. Everything else was bonus. No journo in the press room would refrain from asking her about Oliver/Felicity and Black Canary. Can you imagine if she sat on that particular table where Amell dropped the "no Laurel/Oliver ever again" bomb after him? But benching only KC would look terrible, so it was way more acceptable that they kept the 3 ladies out of the press room.

• Love 3
(edited)

The only way I can think to try to figure out if the women were intentionally kept away or busy shooting was to look up flight times.  The flight from Vancouver to San Diego is 2 hours and 25 minutes long. If they shot until 4am, even adding in 5 hours for to and from airports and make up and hair once they arrived, there still should have been plenty of time to get them to the panel which iirc happened around 2pm and there definitely should have been time for all of them to be there for the autographs which were around 5pm.  Other than that I can't think of anything definite.

Did you see nonstop flights from Van to SD somewhere?  Everything I see is a connecting flight.  The shortest total travel time I see is 5 hours.  I know SA, at least, was on a connecting flight, since he mentioned "on my first flight..." in his FB status on Friday.

Edited by SilverLake0315
  • Love 1

Regardless of the reasons, all three women in Oliver's life not being there sucked big time. For fans in particular because you really want those one on one interviews as it's nice to hear from them. If they themselves have any nuggets of information it psyches you out.

*giggling* Imagine if EBR said something to further strengthen SA comments. Tumblr already had a melt down. I'm pretty sure it would've shut down.

• Love 1
(edited)

I bet they go Vancouver to LA direct non-stop and then hop a private jet from L.A to S.D which is like 30 minutes at best.  So I could see 3.5 hours.  Or if they drove down from L.A to S.D with good traffic you can make it in under 2 hours.  So 4 to 5 hours if no direct flight from VanCity to S.D.

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

@SilverLake0315 I didn't even go that far I just did Travel math for times. http://www.travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Vancouver,+Canada/to/San+Diego,+CA.  One of the ladies had a selfie that made me think they were on a private plane but I can't remember where I saw it, sorry!

Yep ArrowLimbo, it doesn't matter, it's just more of interesting speculation, at least from my POV, I enjoy when something looks seamless and the PR for SDCC was done really well. My inner PR nerd is celebrating their successful role of it.

ITA agree with you that would have been awkward. ;)

ETA: Did anyone post this yet? The Emergency Awesome guys breakdown of the trailer for Arrow. He thinks or knows? that when Laurel says, "Did you ever think we would be business partners" it is because she helps Oliver get the funds to try to buy back QC.  It also goes into where some of this could go based on his comic book knowledge.

Edited by Lisin
  • Love 1

Does anyone remember that quote from Kriesberg where he alluded that since there's a legitimate threat at hand, Felicity in turn has a legitimate choice to make and that choice fuels the emotional crux of the decisions Oliver makes in the episode or something like that? That only just came to me, and maybe while we're thinking Oliver is the one to decide if and when the relationship starts, its really Felicity who makes the ultimate choice.

I don't know, maybe I could be misreading that quote or reading too much into it. But it would be refreshing to see that kind of choice be left up to the woman for a change and not the man, like how its usually done....all the time.

I agree and would love this to be the case.

First, I'll cop to being a horrible feminist because Oliver going into batshit possessive protector mode when Felicity gets threatened really hits every single one of my buttons (oh HAI Mulder in Firewalker!), and it's a really really good reason for them both to back off the relationship. Except that it's not a *romantic relationship* that is the problem, since they aren't in one currently and he still has this trigger. He is in love with Felicity, while those feelings (which won't evaporate with time/distance) may be triggers, the root of the issue is that he's one fucked up little cookie, *damaged*, from all his experiences on the island. He learned how to dial the ragekill back in S2 with Felicity and Diggle, he did that WITH connections, not by becoming more isolated, and simply going oh right I'll just never have real feelings or relationships with anyone ever again. SIMPLE DIMPLE.

It's deeply dumb plan for life, which y'know isn't unusual for Oliver, but is super not okay for Felicity, which is why I'd much rather what ever sort of mutual agreed cool out/distance they reach in the first mini-arc of episodes is really sort of orchestrated by Felicity.

I  can envision them having this great date where they talk about how to manage Team Arrow/relationship, it's literally blown up by a enemy of Team Arrow, Felicity is laid up and Ollie goes the fuck off, she overhears him confessing/talking to Diggle about how torn he is in wanting to be with her v. Team Arrow mission (even going all Superman II about it), and resolves to end things before they start. To "really sell it" she brings up, well, all the really douchey things Oliver has done with women, as well conceding that both of them value the mission too much to jeopardize it with romance. I think it serves as way to both introduce some distance and time for Felicity to get close with Ray, and for Oliver to in turn be more motivated to sort himself out and pursue her before he loses her for good.

Maybe I'm weird, but I tend to see the Olicity dynamic as basically Ollie is way more in love with and romantically invested in Felicity than she is in him. On the surface it's easy to read her as openly crushing him, but that only backs up my point that she's not really let herself *invest* in the idea of being with Ollie in any real way. The school girl in her swoons at being Oliver Queen's girl, but she's way more emotionally mature than that, and as a woman is rightfully uncertain of romance Oliver and more importantly her own feelings for romance Oliver. Whereas I think Ollie has way less experience really being in love with someone like he is with Felicity, and is thus more completely done for in terms of investment in those feelings, hence the instinctual ragekill everytime she's remotely threatened.  His feelings for her are pure, absolute, even if they are utterly subjugated in a lock box on his mental island.

To Ollie it's just the question of him coming to her and saying SO it's all clear babe, we're a GO, and that makes it even more important to me that he has to WORK for it, that Felicity is the one to shut things down, that Felicity is the one looking out for him and the mission, and that they both get to learn from their little break that the mission and Ollie's rage issues are not obstacles to a relationship they are challenges that can be coped with and managed, because they are grown ass people and it's worth it DUH.

Like have you tried NOT being an emotional cripple Ollie?! It just might work!

• Love 12

The question is, what does she think causes Oliver to push her away?  If it's because he loves her too much and is afraid of getting her  hurt, moving on would make her unsympathetic to the audience.  How could she date someone else when he loves her so much???

I, for one, would not be unsympathetic in the least. What, does she owe him something because he's in love with her? What if she wasn't in love with him? Would she still owe it to him not to date anyone else? Does being in love with someone mean they owe you their life?

Now, I will concede that she owes HERSELF time to mourn what could have been. But even if she moves on very fast I would probably think that she's just repressing.

YES. And I'll go you one further and say that while this trope is used A LOT, I always find it stupid. I mean, the feelings will still be there and when someone finds out (as they inevitably do), the love interest's life will still be in danger, only now the hero has robbed himself of a chance at happiness AND the ability to actually be nearby and protect their loved one. AT MOST, this strategy results in less distractions for our hero, but that usually backfires too, because they become distracted by things like new love interests for their beloved, general jealousy and moping.

So, I'm not overly fond of the trope, but on the other hand, I can't think of another reason to keep a couple apart for a season and if the creative team feels they need to do that, then this is probably bound to be the go-to solution. I only hope they make it the least stupid it can be (because it's always going to be a little stupid).

• Love 2

I just watched a press room interview with Colton Haynes and he said something about Laurel meddling in everyone on Team Arrow's business to uncover more secrets. That sounds really horrible if that's what they are doing with her.

He also said this about Roy and Sara which is interesting.

“Roy and Sara got off on the wrong foot for awhile… (Sara) She returns… and something extremely terrible happens… it brings them together, more than it tears them apart.”

I just watched a press room interview with Colton Haynes and he said something about Laurel meddling in everyone on Team Arrow's business to uncover more secrets. That sounds really horrible if that's what they are doing with her.

He also said this about Roy and Sara which is interesting.

I actually will not mind that because at least then her actions will put her on a villainous arc.

• Love 1

It's weird I always thought Oliver's not ready for a relationship. Not because the person might get hurt, but because Oliver is emotionally and mentally not ready. So when I heard they're going on a date I was thoroughly confused (and annoyed) because I knew issue boy would ruin it. He needs to badly deal with his demons, the guilt and anger he Carries isn't healthy for anyone. I don't think anyone needs further explanation that he is thoroughly messed up, so this hurdle seems unnecessary to me. If anything the best thing that will come out of it is Felicity will really see that even though the feelings are there, she has to live her life.

• Love 1
(edited)

That could be it, he did mention something about no one telling Roy he murdered two cops, maybe Sara does then talks with him about it. Since Sara never hated Roy, For her it was just Mirakuru Roy was threat that needed to be taken care of. Now that he's no longer a threat, she'd probably be fine with him.

Edited by Sakura12
(edited)

Wow, that sounds like a really bad idea.

“Roy and Sara got off on the wrong foot for awhile… (Sara) She returns… and something extremely terrible happens… it brings them together, more than it tears them apart.”

I didn't realize they got off on the wrong foot?  Unless he's talking about the whole kill him now kind of thing but I thought with the Amnesia he didn't remember anything?  I like the idea of them growing closer and it certainly makes sense that Sara would be able to empathize with Roy.  

@Sakura12 - Do you have the link to the video?  I haven't seen this one but there were so many to go through I might have missed it.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

I don't know. It could be, but I took that to mean that something happens during the current season, something new. What if something happens to Sin? I'd hate to think they might kill her off - Bex is amazing. But she is someone they both care about a lot, and with Thea gone, her loss might be something that would draw them together.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
(edited)

I would like it if they are going to bring in the fact that Sara and Roy have a friend in common.

I don't think you'd want to be the person that kills Sin, Roy and Sara going after you would not be pretty. Maybe Sin gets hurt again and this time Sara can be at her side. Then they both would ignore Oliver and go after that person together. 

He looked like he was struggling to talk about Laurel's purpose on Team Arrow, but he does say that she's not a part of the team. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I can see Roy and Sara having to join forces to stop Oliver from going on a rampage, if the horrible thing that happens is Felicity almost exploding.

I just watched a press room interview with Colton Haynes and he said something about Laurel meddling in everyone on Team Arrow's business to uncover more secrets.

Oh my lords of Kobol, please let them play this for funny beats. PLEASE.

• Love 1
(edited)

Colton Haynes: "She's definitely not a part of team arrow"

Katie Cassidy: She's a part of team arrow

I'm getting mixed signals here... Who should I believe? Who indeeed

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 8

As long as they don't have her interfering, but still pretend she's absolutely awsum, I'm fine with it.  Perhaps they'll finally have her go down the snarky bitchy route?

Someone said a few pages back that this might be the last attempt to get a workable character for Laurel.  Hopefully they sat down with KC over the last few weeks and worked out something coherent that she can actually portray (I mean yes they should have done that when they hired her but either it wasn't done or it was so badly implemented that it might as well not have been).

That said it does seem a little cheap (plotwise) to have everyone ganging up on her and making her the Scrappy Doo.  Mind you Scrappy Doo never went evil, which is still something I'm hoping they do - or at least make her amoral.  That line about 'letting the darkness in' she parrotted from Huntress can't just be for show, right?

(edited)

Colton Haynes: "She's definitely not a part of team arrow"

Katie Cassidy: She's a part of team arrow

I'm getting mixed signals here... Who should I believe? Who indeeed

well I assume KC knows her character better than Colton but who really knows? Laurel might think she's on team arrow perhaps? 

Edited by ban1o

I overlooked this at first but...wow. I hope he was joking. Do they want people to hate her?

I overlooked this at first but...wow. I hope he was joking. Do they want people to hate her?

He seemed scared to give too much away and was trying to be vague so it's possible that maybe we are misunderstanding what he was trying to say? I don't think the show would want people to hate her more than some already do lol. 

@ban1o, based on her interviews over comic-con I feel like she has no idea where her character was going or actually understand her character as much as the others. She tends to give very generic non-answers to questions and never embellishes on them which leads me to believe that KC has no clue what's going on. I even think she looked a little surprised about the whole Ted Grant thing? EBR was definitely surprised :p 

Colton's answers seems to make me believe he understands his character and the show more than KC...

But hey, that's just IMO

• Love 2

He seemed scared to give too much away and was trying to be vague so it's possible that maybe we are misunderstanding what he was trying to say? I don't think the show would want people to hate her more than some already do lol.

I certainly hope so; otherwise I might start to think that the writers were actively working to sabotage her character. Because that sounds like a terrible idea if you're trying to get an audience to warm up to a character. :(

• Love 2

I'm not sure what the purpose is storywise for Laurel to uncover people's secrets.  Is she going to be using the info that she discovers for a malicious purpose like blackmail?  When people want you to know their secrets, they will confide in you.  Ferreting out people's secrets and confronting them tends to make them angry.

• Love 4

Oh god, they're going to have her figure out Oliver's feeling for Felicity and give him relationship advice aren't they? O.o

Sounds like Sin is in danger and I'm really going to hate if they kill her off. I love Sin. But if they are breaking up Teen Arrow then Roy and Thea have somewhere else in the story to go; Sin is the only one that is isolated from Oliver's plot.

@ban1o KC also said she would not be a damsel in distress during the season finale. She made it 8 minutes in before she was tranqed by Nyssa. I don't know if it is a profound disconnect with her character, the writers failing to explain the overall story arc to her or she is just terrible at interviews; really, really terrible. But Roy as a member of Team Arrow would know who is on the team and Colton has a history of oversharing but not being wrong so I'll go with him being right until I see otherwise. :)  

• Love 8

My ears perked up when he used the word "meddling", because people who meddle in other people's lives are considered annoying. And here's a character that the majority of the audience has found annoying for 2 seasons. If a couple of characters are bugged by her antics, then the audience can have that "HA! I was right!" moment. And she doesn't have to be Scrappy Doo forever, they can turn it around after a few episodes. They have to play it humorous, though, or else it doesn't work.

• Love 1
(edited)

Does anyone have a transcript of what he said about Laurel? I'm on my phone so I can't watch it right now.

What Colton said? I'm nice so I'll type it up 

Does Laurel have any interactions with Roy? 

'

She does yeah. Laurel plays a very prevalent part in , um , I can't really say-she's definitely not a part of Team Arrow, but she's starting to meddle in everyone's business and she's using her brains to uncover even more secrets than she has thus far. 

ETA: Maybe Laurel is meddling in the bad guys business and helping Team Arrow out? Colton doesn't specifically say "meddling in Team Arrow's business" 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 4
(edited)

Didn't the EPs say at the end of S2 that once she was in the know about Oliver she was going to look at everyone and everything differently?  Maybe she is trying to figure out why these people are doing what they are doing by investigating their pasts?  She may feel like she knows why Oliver is doing what he is doing but why are they?  Can they be trusted?  My guess is she stumbles upon the skeleton(s) in Roy's closet that cause problems with or for Oliver.

Now I am curious as to what here "great scene" (per MG) with Felicity in 3.03 is. I was hoping another van was involved but I guess not.  Does it have any bearing on Felicity's decision to go to Central City?

Based on Ban1o's comment maybe she is trying to blackmail her way onto Team Arrow.  She doesn't like to be left out.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 4

Maybe Laurel starts 'meddling' in Felicity's business and she's had enough of it when Laurel brings something Felicity didn't want to share up? Thus leading to an argument? 

I would actually quite like this. And by business I mean her past or other skeletons in her closet?

(edited)

Colton Haynes saying Roy and Felicity's scenes "it's like that scene on bridesmaids" 

I never watch bridesmaids, what exactly does it mean?

I'm thinking he means that he and Felicity are trying to one up each other to be important to Oliver? Like Kristen Wiig and Rose Byrne were doing in Bridesmaids.

Even it is the bad guys Laurel's meddling in, why? As a D.A. she doesn't have access to anything Felicity can't find. So are they going to be taking away some of Felicity's job and give it to Laurel? That won't help her get any fans either. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3
(edited)

And the 3rd episode is also the coffee scene callback.

I'm thinking he means that he and Felicity are trying to one up each other to be important to Oliver? Like Kristen Wiig and Rose Byrne were doing in Bridesmaids.

Aww i want Felicity to show off all that she is capable off and kick Roys ass at their little shenanigans 

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1

I really hope not because just why. If Felicity knows Oliver loves her, for why?

A lot happened in Bridesmaids. I immediately thought of that massive argument at the bridal shower but then again, for why.

• Love 1
(edited)

What Colton said? I'm nice so I'll type it up

Thanks! :)

Does Laurel have any interactions with Roy?

'

She does yeah. Laurel plays a very prevalent part in , um , I can't really say-she's definitely not a part of Team Arrow, but she's starting to meddle in everyone's business and she's using her brains to uncover even more secrets than she has thus far.

Hmm based on that...I mean it could be taken either way. But I'm more inclined to think that the "everyone" here is not Team Arrow. There was something somewhere said (and I can't put my finger on where I saw it) about a new List in season three, and I'll bet this is about Oliver and Laurel working together and making a list of people to take down, using her legal connections and his Arrow resources. That would also tie in to the "business partners" comment from the trailer.

I mean, yes, it still could mean the other. But I have to believe the writers are not actually that stupid, as much as I have disagreed with some if their past choices. They have to know that if they sic Laurel on Felicity or Diggle there would be hell to pay from the fandom. I just can't believe they'd actually go there.

Even it is the bad guys Laurel's meddling in, why? As a D.A. she doesn't have access to anything Felicity can't find. So are they going to be taking away some of Felicity's job and give it to Laurel? That won't help her get any fans either.

That did occur to me. And no it wouldn't, but I could see them doing this though. It's not setting the characters deliberately against each other, and it wouldn't be the first time they've taken a storyline from someone else and given it to Laurel. And who knows, maybe Felicity still is doing the hacking, and Laurel's doing the field work.

Edited by Starfish35