Type keyword(s) to search

Crimes You'd Like To See On Dateline: Calling Keith Morrison!

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

Thanks, Patty, I just watched it.  Yes, it's blurry, but my heart pounded the entire time, it was so intense.  Brian Dennehy was super menacing, Marcia Gay Harden  was as  punchable as ever, Chris Cooper and Cloris Leachman were at their best.  Great movie! 

• Love 1

There's a murder in WI that I'm betting these shows can't wait to cover given the drama associated with family and the pandemic.

A couple were discovered at the WI arboretum shot and killed.  She was a doctor who taught at the UW med school.

They just arrested the daughter's 18 year old boyfriend and an accomplice.  Apparently,  the parents kicked out their daughter and the boyfriend and moved them to an air bnb because they weren't observing social distancing.  The mother had a medical condition that made her especially vulnerable. 

The daughter lied to the cops and said her boyfriend was with her at the time of the murder but cell phone data has him near the house.   He also apparently confessed to a friend. I wonder how long it'll be before she's arrested too or will the boyfriend protect her? She got into a fight with them when they pushed her out and had talked about how her parents were rich.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1179696

• Love 1

Wondering if Dateline is interested in covering yesterday’s tragedy at Judge Esther Salas’ home. I just cannot imagine—her only child now gone and her husband also shot at multiple times. It feels a bit surreal because this is only a couple of miles from me. Just so sad all around. 

(edited)

I can imagine Dateline will cover this.   Also, there is a link being investigated in the death of another attorney by someone dressed as a delivery driver, and the number one suspect is the same killer.   The man who apparently did this crime had terminal cancer, and said he had nothing to live for, except revenge I guess. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I'm ready for the Dateline expose of the case of the NYC entrepreneur, Saleh Fahim, who was dismembered by his 21 year old assistant Tyrese Haspil.  When it first came to light, there were conspiracy theories all over, that the guy was the victim of a hit by the Nigerians he had dealt with in his business in Africa, or that he'd made enemies with either the Russian or Italian mobs.  When the real facts came out, most folks were wondering why this millionaire hired a 16 year old to handle his finances and about the tens of thousands that Haspil stole from Fahim. 

I'm curious to find out more about Haspil - the whole story is insane.

• Love 3

The case of little Savanna who her step-mother and grandmother ran her to death. They got a judge in their state to take her from her mom and kept her in court - promising her visits then after she traveled there they would refuse to let her. Then dad takes off to the middle east and leaves this little girl with these two harpies. Very spiteful as mom was pretty as was Savanna and not so much the 'dear' guardians. 

On 7/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, patty1h said:

I'm ready for the Dateline expose of the case of the NYC entrepreneur, Saleh Fahim, who was dismembered by his 21 year old assistant Tyrese Haspil.  When it first came to light, there were conspiracy theories all over, that the guy was the victim of a hit by the Nigerians he had dealt with in his business in Africa, or that he'd made enemies with either the Russian or Italian mobs.  When the real facts came out, most folks were wondering why this millionaire hired a 16 year old to handle his finances and about the tens of thousands that Haspil stole from Fahim. 

Yes, I'm ready for a story about Saleh Fahim as well. It's a batshit crazy story and I need to know more about it. Such a young assistant is absolutely unheard of. I need answers. And I need this one to be a full 2 hours. 

• Love 1
On 7/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, patty1h said:

Here's something I saw on CNN today about the Saleh Fahim murder:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/13/us/tyrese-haspil-pleads-not-guilty-fahim-saleh-killing/index.html

• Useful 2

There is a case in my hometown of Rochester NY that I am SURE Dateline will cover. (They've covered several in my area: a couple murdered by her ex who hired a TEXAS SHERIFF to kill her and her new boyfriend.  The killer was caught by a speeding ticket stop in KANSAS.  Another one was the Cornell football player who was charged with killing his abusive father.)

A bigshot business executive was accused last year of murdering his wife 37 YEARS AGO WITH A HATCHET TO HER HEAD in their wealthy suburb. 

https://13wham.com/news/local/after-37-years-husband-charged-in-1982-brighton-ax-murder

10 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

There is a case in my hometown of Rochester NY that I am SURE Dateline will cover. (They've covered several in my area: a couple murdered by her ex who hired a TEXAS SHERIFF to kill her and her new boyfriend.  The killer was caught by a speeding ticket stop in KANSAS.  Another one was the Cornell football player who was charged with killing his abusive father.)

A bigshot business executive was accused last year of murdering his wife 37 YEARS AGO WITH A HATCHET TO HER HEAD in their wealthy suburb. 

https://13wham.com/news/local/after-37-years-husband-charged-in-1982-brighton-ax-murder

From that link...

As to a motive, Cathleen Krauseneck's sister believes James Krauseneck snapped when his wife learned that he had lied to his employer - and to her - about earning his doctorate.

"Knowing my sister, she was all about education and when she found out that Jim did not actually pass his verbal dissertation - he did not earn his PhD - and he lied about it and was calling himself 'Dr. Krauseneck' - when she found out, I am certain she confronted him on it," Schlosser said. "He snapped and I believe that is when he killed her."

There's been quite a few cases involving situations like this. It's disturbing how many people can lie about this stuff and pull the wool over their spouse's eyes for a certain length of time. 

• Love 2

There are two new breaking stories that must eventually make their way to Dateline.  There's a local story here about a Long Island girl who went missing on a cross country RV trip with her boyfriend.  He's lawyered up and no one knows where she is.  Last seen in Wyoming. 

Then there's this crazy Murdaugh case.  His wife and son were killed. Now he has been shot.  Hmmm. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

There are two new breaking stories that must eventually make their way to Dateline.  There's a local story here about a Long Island girl who went missing on a cross country RV trip with her boyfriend.  He's lawyered up and no one knows where she is.  Last seen in Wyoming. 

Was coming to post about this case.  Totally has Dateline written all over it.

Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie fought before she was reported missing: cops

• Useful 2
On 9/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, GussieK said:

Then there's this crazy Murdaugh case.  His wife and son were killed. Now he has been shot.  Hmmm. 

And earlier I heard on CNN that the family housekeeper died of a "trip and fall" accident in their house in 2018. There was supposed to be a $475,000 payout to her survivors, which was never made, and now it's being said that the injuries weren't consistent with a fall down a staircase. Everybody around this guy dies, apparently, and lots of people have been covering up for him.

I need to see where the LI people were from.

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And earlier I heard on CNN that the family housekeeper died of a "trip and fall" accident in their house in 2018. There was supposed to be a $475,000 payout to her survivors, which was never made, and now it's being said that the injuries weren't consistent with a fall down a staircase. Everybody around this guy dies, apparently, and lots of people have been covering up for him.

I need to see where the LI people were from.

There was also another mysterious hit-and-run, where the injuries are bizarrely claimed to come from a side mirror hitting the victim in the head.    That case was also reopened.  

https://www.blufftontoday.com/story/news/local/hampton-county-guardian/2021/06/23/sled-opens-own-investigation-into-death-stephen-smith-maggie-paul-murdaugh-homicide-connection/5322059001/

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

And of course there's the young woman who was killed in the boat crash that involved the now-dead son, driving the father's boat. And a young gay man found shot to death by the side of a country road that they're saying might have something to do with this lovely family as well (scroll down to Stephen Smith): https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/us/murdaugh-cases-key-players/index.html

I'm starting to wonder if Buster, the surviving son, just wanted everybody out of the way! (Sorry, Buster, I'm sure you're a prince.)

Oops, my bad. I see @CrazyInAlabama (who I can never tag!) already got this one.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The place they fought at on 12 August, was where the two women in the article were, and the day before the women in the article were murdered: 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/utah-gabby-petito-crystal-turner-kylen-schulte-brian-laundrie

I will be surprised if Gabby is found alive.  I think it's highly likely Brian did something, and he might be involved in this other case as well.  Driving your missing girlfriend's car back to Florida with no apparent care in the world is suspicious at best.

• Love 4

Web Sleuths has a forum topic about this sad case.    

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/wy-gabrielle-‘gabby’-petito-22-grand-teton-national-park-25-aug-2021-road-trip-w-bf.586258/

I'm wondering about the timing of the murder of the two women. 

NY Post has a statement saying just about nothing by the boyfriend:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/14/gabby-petitos-boyfriend-issues-statement-over-her-disappearance/?utm_campaign=applenews&utm_medium=inline&utm_source=applenews

Petito's parents claim that the boyfriend's parents know what happened to their daughter, but won't say.   Boyfriend is now called a Person of Interest by police:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/16/gabby-petitos-family-says-brian-laundries-parents-know-where-she-is/

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I will be surprised if Gabby is found alive.  I think it's highly likely Brian did something, and he might be involved in this other case as well.  Driving your missing girlfriend's car back to Florida with no apparent care in the world is suspicious at best.

If he didn't DO something, there's just no possible way he doesn't KNOW something that would be helpful to police (and we don't know that he didn't have a care in the world). While I don't find it that crazy that he's not talking now (though I can't imagine myself doing the same), I do find it crazy that he isn't known to have talked prior to driving home. I feel like he would have at least called his parents (he's only 23, after all); maybe they told him to report nothing and just come home and let them handle things?

I wish I was more familiar with the mechanics of Instagram. I (like many people, it seems) feel like there’s something weird going on with hers. And in that regard, I feel like it would point to him actually doing something to her. But other stuff makes me wonder if his crime is more along the lines of not contacting authorities about something that happened.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Gabby's mother said the last text she received from her daughter was not her daughter's writing style. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/person-of-interest-in-us-van-mystery-missing-for-days-family-says/ar-AAOzDX6?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

And now boyfriend's been reported missing by his parents, who claim they haven't seen him since Tuesday.    CYA is what that sounds like to me.    Wonder which haven that won't extradite to the U.S. he went to?  

I wonder if law enforcement ever actually saw him in person?    He could have been gone a long time with parents, and attorney covering for his escape. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

All it said was that there was no service where she was. I assume Gabby would have said more to her mom.

I watched that entire body cam footage the other day (almost 2 hours maybe?). To be honest, other than the marks on him, I didn’t see anything in it that that seemed excessively crazy (or at least it wouldn’t if I didn’t already know that she was missing). I mean, it wasn’t “nothing” but it also wasn’t something that screamed that foul play was on the horizon either.

Apparently, Brian Laundrie has been MIA from his parents’ home since Tuesday. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 3
On 9/17/2021 at 10:54 AM, TattleTeeny said:

If he didn't DO something, there's just no possible way he doesn't KNOW something that would be helpful to police (and we don't know that he didn't have a care in the world). While I don't find it that crazy that he's not talking now (though I can't imagine myself doing the same), I do find it crazy that he isn't known to have talked prior to driving home. I feel like he would have at least called his parents (he's only 23, after all); maybe they told him to report nothing and just come home and let them handle things?

He's definitely acting like he had no care in the world. He drove his girlfriend's car back from Florida and didn't make a beeline for any police station.  If he wasn't involved in anything suspicious, he's not telling any law enforcement agency, " Hey, this happened with my girlfriend at XYZ location, and now she's missing.  Please investigate."  Her parents reported her missing, and he's not being cooperative AT ALL. He's doing an exceptional job of acting like a guilty person.

And "he's only 23" is a complete excuse, in my opinion.  Twenty-three is not thirteen or three.  Twenty-three is a legal adult.  This "only 23 year old" was old enough to have a fiance and take an unsupervised cross-country trip with her.  Then she ends up missing, he's one of the last people who probably saw her, he's saying nothing, and suddenly, "he's only 23" and we're not supposed to regard him hiding behind his mother and father without raising an eyebrow?  Nope.

• Love 6

Unless one has been in contact with him, one does NOT know if he’s acting as if he has no care in the world. Other than his family, and a few possible strangers who ran into him before he got home, no one has even seen HOW he was acting. 

I said nothing that implies that he should be excused or forgiven (should there be something to be forgiven for, which we don’t know yet; I assume that we all know that “acting guilty” is subjective and also not a crime) simply because he’s only 23, or that 23 is not an adult. My point is that he is young, and and, as such, possibly not thinking like someone who is older. Maybe you’re different but I know that, at 23, I did not handle things like I would now. 

Also, while I do not AT ALL understand why one would not report something like this immediately and prior to getting a lawyer, neither you nor I have any idea what his lawyer advised or why (we don’t even know yet if he contacted anyone before heading back to Florida or during the trip). And anyone on this planet should know that you should not talk to the police without representation. 

Undoubtedly he has info that would be helpful. But the reality is that there is not yet a crime in legal terms. And the cops cannot simply nab someone with no evidence of a crime. “Person of interest” is not the same as “suspect.” And without a crime, there are no suspects.

Understanding these things is not the same as saying “I think he’s 100% perfectly innocent of all wrongdoing.” I’m just more than able to admit that I don’t have all the details (and even if I did, my opinion doesn’t matter). Why would I? Further, we also have no idea what the police may not be telling the public. Also, “he’s not doing what I would do” is not an indictment.

That said, I do think there’s something up with him — and his family. And maybe her too. I don’t know. And neither does anyone here unless they were with him at some point after she disappeared. This whole thing is an insane, convoluted, and mind-boggling shitshow. But “he’s acting weird” is not evidence, especially if you have no idea what he normally acts like.

Being objective and waiting for factual info =/= assumption of innocence. This kind of anti-analytical thinking and “court of public” opinion nonsense is responsible for far too many wrongful convictions. 

ETA: I think all your points are valid ones,  and ones I have also been pondering. But in my pondering, I also know that I don’t know more than I do know, and that what I think doesn’t matter in this situation. 

Edited by TattleTeeny

Not that I know of—I think just normal news stories and updates so far, mostly if the “blurb” variety that I’ve seen (there was live coverage on MSNBC on Friday night when the police were at his house). It’s still going on and there’s so little solid info. There have been a couple of podcasts on it though—one is called Going West, which seems to be trying to keep up with updates as they come.

Edited by TattleTeeny
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Being objective and waiting for factual info =/= assumption of innocence. This kind of anti-analytical thinking and “court of public” opinion nonsense is responsible for far too many wrongful convictions. 

It is not anti-analytical thinking that:

1) He went on a trip with her and he came home alone...in her car.

2) He was not the one to report her missing. Her parents were.

3) Since he was on a trip with her, he was among one of the last people to see her.  It's reasonable that any law enforcement agency would want to talk to him. Yet, he has not done that.

Those are all factual pieces of information, and yes, opinion comes into that because he has done NOTHING to change the perception. And you're right, we don't have to know, but the problem is, the cops don't know either.

If you spend more time in this forum, you will see that we spend a great deal of time talking about the perception of how people behave and perceive that behavior. Every choice that he is making (including the fact that he is now missing) is feeding the perception that he has done something. It isn't even like he has offered an alternate explanation. He has offered none,

In terms of "irresponsibility," it's also reality that women fall victim to malice by their domestic partners at a very high rate. If Brian wants to encourage responsible dialogue, by all means, talk to law enforcement, and tell them what happened. A woman is missing with no apparent explanation or assistance from her partner. At some point, she has to matter over him.   Many people would LOVE for you to be right and me to be wrong, but the factual odds of that happening decrease with each passing moment. They simply do.

• Love 3

Right about what? I never said that I think he didn’t do anything (and even if I did, I wouldn’t assume I KNOW that to be true). My point is that we don’t know (specifically about the “not a care in the world” assertion. I don’t know what he is like when he has all the cares in the world or when he has none—especially when there’s no documentation of his demeanor). Why assume I am on some invisible opposite side? 

And all of what you said is fine and good and obvious (and circumstantial) stuff that everyone, police and civilians, would and should consider. But what none of it is, factual or not, is a crime. The cops can’t do anything to him right now.

Also, even if he wasn’t (allegedly? Because I’ve wondered about that too) MIA at the moment, he is (or would be) following the advice of his attorney. He has that right, however crappy it comes across to me or you. And while I don’t frequent this forum, I am not unfamiliar with this kind of subject matter (and even if I did frequent this forum and participate in these behavioral observations [which are subjective], I wouldn’t consider my opinion above, or even equal to, that of anyone who is actually involved in a case).

TL;DR: I never said that I think he’s innocent (and even leaned toward the opposite). But I’m not for pretending that I know how someone I never met “should” act in a specific situation OR for arresting someone with no evidence. Public perception isn’t evidence. I like a solid investigation, which unfortunately is not possible at this moment. And yes, that is because of him.

Edited by TattleTeeny

Gabby's case has been keeping me awake at night.  I can't think of a single reason that his family and his lawyer would have told him not to talk to the police other than -- he killed her.

Let's say he had a horrible fight with her and left her beat up, lying in the dessert. As bad as that would be,  it would still be better to admit that and do his best to help the police find her while she's alive, than have the whole world think he killed her. 

On the other hand, if he did kill her, he would want to stay silent and hope they never find the body.  If his parents are telling the truth and don't know where he is now he may be on the run and in hiding for the rest of his life.

• Love 2

As a person not in a law enforcement-related profession, I can’t think of a good reason either. My gut instinct would be to spill anything and everything I thought would help. But I’m not an attorney and I have never — thank the gods — found myself in a situation like this. But “can and will be used against you” is a hefty and persuasive motivator for following an attorney’s advice, especially if someone is innocent (and as a preemptive strike, I’ll add that I am, again, NOT SAYING HE IS).

At first, I optimistically wondered if the silence may have had to do with the murders in Utah that happened the day after they were pulled over there. I guess I had a hope that the police there had and shared something that they weren’t ready for the public to know. But that hope is dashed. What a shitshow this all is, man. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
6 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Did Dateline do a piece on this case that I missed? If so, can someone point me to it?

This case is happening in real time (as in right now).  It's so new that Dateline hasn't covered it yet, but I would be very surprised if they didn't do an episode about it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohmo said:

This case is happening in real time (as in right now).  It's so new that Dateline hasn't covered it yet, but I would be very surprised if they didn't do an episode about it.

I know that. But I figured there was some reason it was being discussed in this forum, so maybe they had done some sort of short-form report on the ongoing developments.

Now that her body has presumably been found, I'm guessing they can bring in the fiancé, at least as a material witness. Assuming they can find him, that is.

• Love 2

I was coming to see if the news had been posted. It appears it is her. Now the question is where is he? Are his parents worried about his whereabouts? Is it possible that he committed suicide or is he hiding out or already in another country? 

It's obvious to me that he knows exactly what happened and/or killed her. 

This case strikes very close to home as I had a friend murdered by her boyfriend while they were on vacation. 

• Love 2

They had been searching for him in some wildlife preserve not far from his parents’ home, but I think that got called off yesterday.  I heard (but didn’t verify) that it was about 30 minutes from the house; if that means by car (and if it’s even true), I wonder who drove him there?

• Useful 3

The boyfriend was driving a Mustang, and the parents or other family picked it up from the parking area at the nature preserve.      However, no one outside the family claims to have seen him in Florida after the first of the month.    The van was found in Florida, but no one saw the boyfriend but family either.    I'm guessing the attorney who is releasing statements from boyfriend never met him either.  

(the best coverage is from local papers in Florida) The Mustang that the family owned was usually driven by the focus of the investigation. 

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2021/09/19/search-brian-laundrie-starts-up-again-north-port-fbi-seeking-info-search-gabby/

I don't know if the commercials mean they're actually airing this, but there's a two part Dr. Phil with family members of Gabby airing Monday and Wednesday.    This was filmed before the discovery of the body, so I'm thinking this is in poor taste, but that's never bothered Dr. Phil before. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3

What is this from, @CrazyInAlabama? I recall wondering why they were searching a Mustang in the driveway on Friday night during the live news coverage. That was, I think, before they reported that he'd been missing from the home (or at least before I heard them mention it), so I didn't know what that car had to do with anything. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

The FBI is searching Brian Laundrie's parent's home right now.  They've called off (finished) their search of the Carlton Reserve that is 30 minutes from the Laundrie home.

They were  searching the reserve because Brian's parents said they thought that was where he was going with his backpack.  Yeah, I don't think I'd put much store in anything they said at this point.  I imagine it's all about whatever gives their boy a good head start.  I would be checking for any missing cars in the extended family.

I will be surprised if the FBI finds anything relevant in their search.  The Laundries have had 20 days to destroy anything incriminating.  I see a handy little fire pit in their back yard,   perfect for burning bloody shoes.

They seem certain the body they found  is Gabby's, even though they don't have the DNA evidence back yet.  She seems so sweet, young and trusting in those videos it just breaks my heart.

• Useful 4
8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I recall wondering why they were searching a Mustang in the driveway on Friday night during the live news coverage

I'm not a car person, but tonight on NBC Nightly News, the newscast had images of authorities talking a car out of Brian's parents' driveway on a flatbed truck.

I think this is what we'll see on this Friday's Dateline. The news showed 15 seconds or so of Andrea interviewing Gabby's father. At whatever time the interview was done, he told Andrea he thought something bad had happened to Gabby.

48 Hours is also prepping its own episode.  Saw a clip of Gabby's best friend being interviewed.

• Useful 3