Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Did I Marry a Monster?

fliptopbox

(edited)

Both Ragini/Veeral were pretty boring. Yawn to their family blahs. Josh/Meghan's segments were slightly better, but still pretty meh. There's only so much you can show of a cross country moving trip. I did feel bad for their truck getting broken into though, that is probably the worst thing that could happen in the midst of a cross-country move. I'm also surprised his mom didn't go all drama queen over it though, or try to goad Meghan into it. Josh's mother seems to love baiting Meghan into situations so she can criticize her.

The only couple I'm really that interested in is Maria and Christian. Gawd that little boy is a snot. Even though he's 18 or 19 he's acting like a spoiled 12 year old. I feel bad that Maria is supposed to give him every penny she earns (and does he still not have a job?) from peddling flowers in bars and then go out with him so he can spend all that money she made for them on himself....because he has to "keep up appearances to his community". I'd be salty too. I'm not sure she was totally justified in smacking him during that argument, but he was completely overreacting to her buying makeup (or whatever was in there) behind his back....and it seemed that once Christian's parents learned more about what was going on the whole slap thing was dropped completely, because Maria slapping Christian is less of a big deal than her walking out on him. I am also glad Christian's family dogpiled on him for continuing to act like a total douchelord, because I guess they've tried to get him to change his attitude but he hasn't. Hell, even Peter is telling Christian he is King Asshole. Knowing Maria probably had very little or no money at all on her when she left I hope she was able to make it back to her family's home (I don't think we have ever been told where her family lives in relation to Christian's...hopefully they're at least semi local) and relax for a few days. She's so young and deserves to be happy. I also wonder, is Maria allowed to have a cell phone? I don't get all these weirdo gypsy culture rules, because it seems almost like they just make them up as they go along...anything they don't want to justify with logic they throw out the "it's just our culture" line. I guess since before Maria was married and was kept sheltered I could see her family saying she didn't need a phone, but I would think now that she's a married woman that she'd be able to have one. It would fit with their line about a gypsy woman's life not really starting til marriage. And it would have been an easier way to try and find her rather than hauling ass to the subway in the dark to try and catch her before she gets on a train.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 3

Good lord have mercy.  Christian is all in her makeup and hollering about saving money.  What is HE doing as a Gypsy "Man" to provide for his wife?   Plus I am not liking that his parents are not reinforcing ALL the Romany ways.  His father is okay with HO money his wife keeps to herself, but Christian seems unaware of that aspect.  Plus he is extremely selfish.  "I need money to buy myself some clothes." What about Maria? What does she get when she is done peddling flowers in bars?

Ragini is getting the full course press. But, that is partly what she signed up for.  I can't say that I blame her for chaffing at the constant pressure from  Veeral's family, but she has to learn to put them off in a manner that should get them off her back.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme

What a pleasant surprise! Given the standard set by shows like Newlyweds and MAFS, I expected the new season of Arranged to show a new set of couples...SO GLAD we get to follow the originals.

Christian and Maria seem to have taken a major step backwards. I can understand Maria's frustration - Christian's position that she is NOT to have any money of her own, while still being responsible for the cleaning, cooking, laundry, PLUS having to watch him spend a couple hundred $ on himself while refusing to buy something she requested of him (which, in the Bible according to  Christian is what Gypsy women are supposed to do) is pretty much my idea of what indentured servitude is like. Does he think she has to work off the bride price? Nonetheless, she should not have slapped him.

I have a new level of respect for Nina and Michael. Nina did not hesitate for even one second to acknowledge her part in instructing Maria to keep some of the flower money for herself, and Michael did not bat an eye or contradict her about the practice. I liked that they both got in Christian's face at creating such a ruckus over a bit of makeup - seriously, WHAT 17/18 year old girl has NOT gone overboard on cosmetics at one time or another. I also liked Nina's rapid spin from Maria defender to mama bear, getting in the girl's face about the slap.She made no excuse for Christian's behavior, but did draw a pretty clear line of expected behavior between spouses. I really liked how Michael took charge - it seemed to fit the cultural context I've heard them relate both iin their THs and on-camera segments - especially the way he told NIna to back off, (she was pretty escalated and needed to calm down as it was not helping) and took Christian to task for making a HUGE problem out of a little thing, but (that I recall, altho I will watch the episode again to double check myself) did not scold Maria - perhaps he felt between Christian and Nina, Maria had both made her point and been upbraided enough for the slap. Michael and NIna are definitely on the same page and whether Michael agrees with Nina or not, he at least showed enough restraint/respect to not get in an argument with her on camera. I would also like to see what happened to the makeup Maria bought...the last I am sure of seeing it, it was in NIna's hands and she was threatening to throw it away...it may have also appeared in the scene where Maria was packing, but I am not sure of that until I see it again.  It also looks like Christian is getting a big lesson in what being a proper Gypsy husband is all about, which I am looking forward to learning about when the elders, etc. meet. I really do hope the marriage can be salvaged, but it seems like both Maria and Christian need a lot of lessons in Gypsy Marriage 101.

Southern folks, how dumb can you be? Driving cross country with a big ole UHaul, letting the world know you're carting your possessions and you leave purses and wallets in the vehicle? Stupid, stupid, stupid! Does little miss muffet think there is no crime in the South? What I really LOVED about their post-robbery segment was back in the car, when MIL from hell is pulling a major face and then realizes the camera is right in front of her, catching it all. Priceless. And yes, Josh, you dipstick, having one couple in the front and one in the back, rather than the two women together IS a deterrent to conversation.

Ragini and Veeral....I am over them....Ragini continues to be the entitled ice princess and Veeral is nothing but a tantrum-tossing arrogant two year old. Does being Indian mean that once you marry, you only visit the grooms parents (presuming, of course, that you are not living in a multi-generational home with them) or does the bride's family get to see them too? This is not intended to be snarky or a cultural slam, but information seeking. Perhaps they explained this during one of their segments, but it is very easy for me to tune them out as it seems to be nothing but the same ole, same ole.  I'd almost bet that Ragini turns up unexpectedly preggers and devotes a few episodes to pregnancy related angst - it would be just about the only new thing she could do that might make her interesting. I'm going to give the siblings and parents a pass on constantly hounding Ragini to start popping out kids until I get a better sense of things.

Looking forward to next week!

• Love 2

What a pleasant surprise! Given the standard set by shows like Newlyweds and MAFS, I expected the new season of Arranged to show a new set of couples...SO GLAD we get to follow the originals.

Christian and Maria seem to have taken a major step backwards. I can understand Maria's frustration - Christian's position that she is NOT to have any money of her own, while still being responsible for the cleaning, cooking, laundry, PLUS having to watch him spend a couple hundred $ on himself while refusing to buy something she requested of him (which, in the Bible according to  Christian is what Gypsy women are supposed to do) is pretty much my idea of what indentured servitude is like. Does he think she has to work off the bride price? Nonetheless, she should not have slapped him.

I have a new level of respect for Nina and Michael. Nina did not hesitate for even one second to acknowledge her part in instructing Maria to keep some of the flower money for herself, and Michael did not bat an eye or contradict her about the practice. I liked that they both got in Christian's face at creating such a ruckus over a bit of makeup - seriously, WHAT 17/18 year old girl has NOT gone overboard on cosmetics at one time or another. I also liked Nina's rapid spin from Maria defender to mama bear, getting in the girl's face about the slap.She made no excuse for Christian's behavior, but did draw a pretty clear line of expected behavior between spouses. I really liked how Michael took charge - it seemed to fit the cultural context I've heard them relate both iin their THs and on-camera segments - especially the way he told NIna to back off, (she was pretty escalated and needed to calm down as it was not helping) and took Christian to task for making a HUGE problem out of a little thing, but (that I recall, altho I will watch the episode again to double check myself) did not scold Maria - perhaps he felt between Christian and Nina, Maria had both made her point and been upbraided enough for the slap. Michael and NIna are definitely on the same page and whether Michael agrees with Nina or not, he at least showed enough restraint/respect to not get in an argument with her on camera. I would also like to see what happened to the makeup Maria bought...the last I am sure of seeing it, it was in NIna's hands and she was threatening to throw it away...it may have also appeared in the scene where Maria was packing, but I am not sure of that until I see it again.  It also looks like Christian is getting a big lesson in what being a proper Gypsy husband is all about, which I am looking forward to learning about when the elders, etc. meet. I really do hope the marriage can be salvaged, but it seems like both Maria and Christian need a lot of lessons in Gypsy Marriage 101.

Southern folks, how dumb can you be? Driving cross country with a big ole UHaul, letting the world know you're carting your possessions and you leave purses and wallets in the vehicle? Stupid, stupid, stupid! Does little miss muffet think there is no crime in the South? What I really LOVED about their post-robbery segment was back in the car, when MIL from hell is pulling a major face and then realizes the camera is right in front of her, catching it all. Priceless. And yes, Josh, you dipstick, having one couple in the front and one in the back, rather than the two women together IS a deterrent to conversation.

Ragini and Veeral....I am over them....Ragini continues to be the entitled ice princess and Veeral is nothing but a tantrum-tossing arrogant two year old. Does being Indian mean that once you marry, you only visit the grooms parents (presuming, of course, that you are not living in a multi-generational home with them) or does the bride's family get to see them too? This is not intended to be snarky or a cultural slam, but information seeking. Perhaps they explained this during one of their segments, but it is very easy for me to tune them out as it seems to be nothing but the same ole, same ole.  I'd almost bet that Ragini turns up unexpectedly preggers and devotes a few episodes to pregnancy related angst - it would be just about the only new thing she could do that might make her interesting. I'm going to give the siblings and parents a pass on constantly hounding Ragini to start popping out kids until I get a better sense of things.

Looking forward to next week!

That's what I was wondering as well.  It seems like Ragini is spending every weekend with her in-laws. Does she ever get to spend time with her family?  They certainly can't blame her for not wanting to be around them since all they want to do is talk about her having babies.

It looks like Maria left the makeup with her goodbye note.

• Love 1

I was incredibly frustrated by this episode because much of it seemed scripted. For some reason I am not buying the U-haul break in as genuine. Maria slapping Christian also seemed a bit wonky to me.

Ragini's sister in law is an utterly nosy bitch. I'm sorry, but you don't force and pressure a woman who is not ready to have children into conceiving. Chances are she will just end up resenting the child and that's just a lifetime of pain and potential therapy for the poor soul who has the misfortune of being the fruit of her loins.

I'm Indian and my mother's brother's wife changed her tune about wanting kids after getting married. My grandparents desperately wanted their son to have children as he was their only male child, and all hope of carrying on the family name ended with him. However, they were not the type of people to needle and berate their daughter-in-law. Apparently they asked her a few times when she would be ready to have children and she said in a few years, since she was working on her career. They left it at that.

Ragini and Veeral....I am over them....Ragini continues to be the entitled ice princess and Veeral is nothing but a tantrum-tossing arrogant two year old. Does being Indian mean that once you marry, you only visit the grooms parents (presuming, of course, that you are not living in a multi-generational home with them) or does the bride's family get to see them too? This is not intended to be snarky or a cultural slam, but information seeking.

Typically in the olden days, once a daughter was married off she became a part of her groom's family and had limited contact with her parents and siblings. Visits to her parents home were extremely infrequent, which is why there are so many sad Indian wedding songs sung from the daughter's POV about leaving her childhood home. However, in practice, I have found this not to be the case--at least in my family. My grandmother (born circa 1918) had an arranged marriage and moved to a different part of India to live with her in-laws at 18. However, she made annual trips back to Bombay over the summers to visit her parents and brothers. She even bought an apartment a block away from where they all lived.

In modern India I don't think a bride visiting her family is much of an issue, except for perhaps the most rural of places.

• Love 3

My, my, my, my, my...I cringed when stupid Meghan said they were moving "cross country" when they were going from South Carolina to Indiana. Bless her heart! MIL telling her how she'll have to start speaking was a joke, like she's an authority about everything that's not Southern. And why were they all in one vehicle? Are the in-laws staying, too? I know it was done for the show, but in real reality I don't think that's the way it'd take place. Besides, Meghan had a car, did she just leave it?

Good luck to Michael getting his db son, Christian, on the right "hubby path." I did like his comment that was almost under his breath that Nina created the pita that is Christian. I think C looks like his mom and has that same bitchy demeanor and attitude of hers. Free Maria!

Peter is awesome! Maria should've been hooked up with him, then I think she'd have been much happier.

• Love 3

Aside from feeling super scripted I'm glad this show is back. So much fun to snark on it! I wonder if these episodes were filmed before the reunion show?

Meghan and Josh are boring. Maybe we won't have to see Lisa after they've completed the move to Indiana.

Ragini and Veeral are the same old story. Both of them fighting over who's going to be the alpha. I wouldn't want to spend every weekend with my in-laws either if all they're going to do is harp about babies.

You know Maria will come back to Christian. He'll promise to change but then he won't. He's immature and he's a bully. And if she did slap him then that shows she's still a child too. And what does he do for work? Last season they showed him roofing. Why did he need nice shirts and ties (almost $300)? And then he was all in her face about make up? $1,000 worth of make up? Something smells phony and scripted to me about this whole family.

It looks like Maria left the makeup with her goodbye note.

Thanks for that....and it kinda makes me sad...all she did was spend money that her own MIL said it was OK to keep for herself and she's been shamed into leaving it behind....it's often the little things that are the heartbreakers...

• Love 1

I  do  not usually watch reality tv, but this show caught my attention for some unknown reason last summer.  My reaction to the show Oct 20:  the scripting has improved significantly, as has the acting.  A former high school teacher who has spent far too much time around teenagers, I find myself fascinated with Christian and Maria.  Even though he is selfish, I find myself liking Christian.  Even though he is really a misogynist, he seems to think he is being true to the "Gypsy" tradition w/o realizing, apparently, how he demeans women and thereby suggests the "Gypsy culture" also is misogynistic.  And Maria is a terrible actress, but her unhappiness did not need to be feigned.  She actually seemed much happier last program than at any time except the reunion show last year, and she certainly spoke much more forcefully  and w/o a whining tone.  I like Maria, too, and find her all too believable. I wonder if he really bought the clothes the day after refusing to give Maria $20, or was that a bit of editing?  And the irony of his voice-over describing his need to look good as he is shown wearing old shorts on the streets of Queens did not escape me.  Maria probably asks for all that makeup as proof that Christian really does care for her...but really, all that lipstick?  That was all lipstick in the drawer, right?  

And since when does a curling iron cost $200?

Does Michael have a day job?  Does Christian?    If the Millers are trying to eradicate unfortunate stereotypes about the Romany people, roofing is an unfortunate choice of jobs.  Nothing against legitimate roofers, which it appears Christian's cousin is, but those of us who live in areas of the country where hail storms are common are all too familiar with the roofer as con artist.

I think the reason there was glass all over the car seats was that someone had broken in to the car.  Surely they had locked it with their things inside.  I do wonder, though, along with the earlier comment, what has happened to the car Megan and Josh were using in the first episodes.  How easy is it to live in Indianapolis w/o a car?

To get back to last season:  how corny was that fertility calendar in the hands of a graduate student?  Are we to imagine they are trusting their future to condoms?  Really?  

I had no idea this show was back, or that it was going to continue following the originals until I saw it on the DVR today. What a nice surprise!

I want to know where that B&B is! I've never heard of it. Though I can't really blame Meghan for being bummed about it. It's so not her type of place and she apparently wasn't warned ahead of time (though I'm sure that was for on-camera drama purposes). And Southern accents aren't exactly foreign to Hoosiers. Southern Indiana is basically Kentucky as far as that goes, and those of us to the north can understand them just fine FFS. About everyone I know finds the accent charming. I wonder where they were parked exactly when the truck got broken into. We stopped there to walk across the new pedestrian bridge spanning the Ohio River -and connecting KY and IN- this summer and the area all around was nice. There were tons of people around and I can't imagine someone being able to break into a vehicle in the broad daylight like that and not be seen/heard. 

I am very outspoken against violence, no matter who is hitting whom. I am completely, utterly against it. Women hitting men are no better than men hitting women. And yet... I could almost feel why Maria snapped. I felt so badly for her when she spoke of how living in that house has made her into someone she never thought she'd be. I can't fathom what it must be like, day in and day out, living with that man-child. And his spending all the money she earned in front of her like that! Oh my. But still, hitting is wrong and I liked how his mom pulled a 180 the minute she heard that. And I love that his dad kept riding his ass about causing the problem and running away. 

R&V, blah, blah. I'm going to be utilizing the FF button if it's all going to be the exact same shit it was before they got married. I don't feel much sympathy for either of them because they knew full well going in that she doesn't want babies and he's up his family's butts all.the.time. It's like they see each other, but can't accept that they can't change each other. They're going to be miserable because neither is going to change.

• Love 2

I have to wonder how the Romany men (in this case, boys) are prepared for marriage? Is "Don't be a dick to the woman unfortunately stuck with you" not in the manual? If the boy is clearly not mature enough to not be abusive, why subject the poor girl to that?  Christian's parents respect each other; they probably had to get there after a few years, but still.  They are apparently scaring Peter, who I am sure is way better than his brother.  

Thinking back to the beginning episodes, I recall Nina recounting her childhood and that she knew Michael from that time - she told a story of how when she was a child she used to ask Michael for money to buy candy. So, when they were arranged, she had a fair idea what she was getting and also had an established relationship with him. I think that laid a very good foundation for her apparent contentment with her marriage and their ease of interaction as spouses. Nina does not seem to be a stupid woman, perhaps a bit inarticulate due to a lack of formal education, but I am surprised that she hasn't connected the dots between her situation and Maria's. She may be applying her own experience when she tries to figure out what's going on between Christian and Maria, but is missing a big piece of the puzzle simply because she/Nina didn't have to go through the awkwardness of marrying a complete stranger.

• Love 3

I rewatched the slap about 5 times...anyone else? Maria has a little bit of a smile after she did it, and we don't see the real hand-to-face contact (camera jerking? out of frame?). And obviously the sound effect was added.  Reinactment? Staged? Did anyone else think the whole thing was just odd? Don't get me wrong -- one should never put their hands on someone else in anger. Period, fullstop.

• Love 1

It's pretty odd for a man to scream bloody murder about his wife's makeup.  Christian is the worst. He had no problem dropping nearly $300 on himself, yet balked at Maria getting a curling iron so she could look good.  I'll bet he would say no if she wanted a candy bar.  That's beyond messed up that Maria doesn't get to enjoy the money she worked for.  I was incredulous when Christian did that TH in a suit! Where was he going? Who was going to see him?  What I want to see is someone sitting him down and telling him not to be an asshat to his wife.  Maybe the Elders will deliver the smackdown?

I, too, noticed Maria's 'smile' as she 'slapped' Christian....it looked like one of those embarrassed smiles that appears when a person is doing something they are instructed to do, but are not quite comfortable with....

so, I do believe the slap was a re-enactment (as in, I do think some sort of physical acting out occurred on Maria's part)....but....Christian was MUCH too spontaneous with his criticism of Maria for the makeup and with his parents before he blew out of the house, obviously totally amazed that he was not immediately proclaimed to be in the right for that whole sequence to not have some basis in reality....

I was also very suspicious of the slap 'mark' on Christian's left jawline in the scene just before he left the house....Maria's slap was simply not that powerful as to leave a large, very red, welt....still in all, I have no doubt there was a blow out between Christian and Maria and that it was about the money....

I just think that it was sometime later, after all was said and done, that they  were instructed to re-enact the slap, family brawl and Christian leaving as part of what was to be shown....I think those things - Christian refusing to allow Maria  to have any money of her own, Nina's advice to Maria, Maria keeping the money and spending it, and Christian discovering the new makeup and blowing a fuse - did happen to a certain extent and were embellished/modified for the sake of the show....

I guess I'll reserve final judgement until we progress further into the season/episodes (as I am rather confused as to whether we are still in season 1 or if 2 has begun)

Oh yah, and, embellished or not, Christian and Maria are still one helluva lot more entertaining than either the Indian Ice Princess and her Toddler Husband or Li'l Miss Sweet Tea and the Lazy Hunk...plus their assorted in-laws...

Edited by becauseIsaidso

It's pretty odd for a man to scream bloody murder about his wife's makeup.  Christian is the worst. He had no problem dropping nearly $300 on himself, yet balked at Maria getting a curling iron so she could look good.  I'll bet he would say no if she wanted a candy bar.  That's beyond messed up that Maria doesn't get to enjoy the money she worked for.  I was incredulous when Christian did that TH in a suit! Where was he going? Who was going to see him?  What I want to see is someone sitting him down and telling him not to be an asshat to his wife.  Maybe the Elders will deliver the smackdown?

I think Michael, Nina, and even Peter have tried telling Christian he needs to change his attitude and quit being such a selfish dickhead numerous times. Unfortunately Christian is just an arrogant, quick tempered spoiled brat who refuses to listen to anyone. Even though he technically is an adult he sure doesn't act like one. With the way we see him treating Maria on camera I can only imagine what goes on when they're gone. I think Christian needs some sort of counseling, or even anger management to control his temper; he seems to have this crazy rage within him that's always bubbling right under the surface, waiting to burst out. And then we have poor Maria has to put up with that petty bullshit all day, every day, 24/7. No matter what she does or says to Christian she is always wrong or she's stupid, or she even doesn't talk enough!! The worst is that he seems to revel in making her so miserable. I honestly can't blame her for just lashing out in the heat of a fight because she was probably listening to him bitch and criticize her over something so trivial. It doesn't make it right, but I get it. She's upset, frustrated, depressed, and has no idea what to do...she even said herself she feels like she doesn't recognize herself anymore. Besides, what man has a knock-down-drag-out fight with his wife over $20 worth of makeup? Especially since she had to tag along with him so he could spend almost $300 on clothes for himself (gotta impress their community and all..) with every last dime of the money she made from selling flowers....but she can't treat herself to something? I still can't believe he had the audacity to tell her that she had "too much [makeup] already" during their argument, yet I'll bet that Christian has more pairs of shoes than she has lipsticks.

I honestly hope these gypsy elders get their panties in a twist over Maria leaving Christian. How scandalous! It's gonna be interesting to see all of the gypsy elders reading him the riot act about what a selfish, self absorbed, immature, condescending prick he is. I also can't wait to see their response to whatever he tries to use in his defense, cos I am sure he will try and shift the blame solely to Maria. He's definitely one of those assholes who refuse to take responsibility for their part in anything because he always wants people on his side.

Thanks, Rahul, for that information. It reminded me of a scene from a favorite movie - Monsoon Wedding - when the women are all together and Harditi (sp?) gets her henna tattoos and there is at least one very mournful sounding song that seems to touch a chord with most of the older, married women - the subtitles for the lyrics mentioned the bride leaving her father's house and the sadness attached to that..

I think that when Ragini agreed to be 'arranged' with Veeral, she figured she was making her parents happy by settling down with a nice Indian boy, BUT was also getting the completely westernized version that she wanted. I think Veeral being as tradition-minded as he is was a bit of an unpleasant surprise for her - and now she's stuck with it.  IIRC, during some of the pre-wedding ceremonies, Ragini went to her parent's home, which I also believe was in another state - Texas, maybe? That would certainly explain why they would not see her parents as often as his who seem to live locally, but I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any mention of her wanting to have the both of them visit her parents as well as his - which would the more westernized way of doing things.

I think Ragini and Veeral will implode rather slowly, while Christian and Maria have already gone nuclear.....Josh and Megan?  Well, to me they're just gonna mosey along with their idea of good ole Southern Culture/Family/Tradition until they've had kids and raised the next generation of miserable people.

Edited by becauseIsaidso
  • Love 3

Caught a little bit of Arranged this afternoon...specifically the post-slap fallout....I am surprised and a little impressed with Michael...his attitude, once the source of the kerfuffle unfolded....seemed to be that of calming everyone down and bringing some order into the mess...I have no idea how I feel about Gypsy culture as presented on the show, but I do see some real respect between Michael and NIna...I really wish Christian could take a bit of time to REALLY observe his parents - IMNSHO, they are a pretty good example of marital respect and understanding....I forget what the words or gesture were that Michael made when Nina talked about telling Maria to keep some of the flower money, but it clearly was known to him and not at all objectionable....BUT....why didn't Michael school his son about the ins and outs of marriage?   As much as I dislike Christian, I get the feeling that there is a LOT he was not told about the little everyday stuff that may well have helped smooth the waters between him and Maria...and perhaps saved both of them a LOT of grief....again, I have to wonder if it was Michael's acquaintance with NIna as children that sort of skewed his view of how a Gypsy interacts with his arranged spouse...Anyhow....I am very much looking forward to the next episode, if only for the continuing saga of Maria and Christian....the others....not so much...

• Love 1

I know this is probably an old question but I didn't keep up with the show. The abuse Christian dished out to Maria was hard to watch. Have these two consummated their marriage? Is it possible Christian is gay or asexual, just not into girls or a relationship?

• Love 2

I know this is probably an old question but I didn't keep up with the show. The abuse Christian dished out to Maria was hard to watch. Have these two consummated their marriage? Is it possible Christian is gay or asexual, just not into girls or a relationship?

They refuse to say. Everytime the subject of sex is brought up they both clam up and claim that in their culture they don't discuss such things.

• Love 1

I'd be willing to bet money that they probably consummated their marriage (in a very unsatisfying manner) and Maria hasn't allowed Christian to touch her since. He seems grossly immature. 

Probably. Can't say I blame her though, Christian doesn't seem like he'd be good in bed at all.

It's just odd to me since almost every other gypsy show I have ever seen they all are pretty open about sex, being affectionate, etc. and the Miller clan is very tightlipped about everything even remotely personal. They seem total opposites of the gypsies we've seen on My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and Gypsy Sisters.. The Millers seem less trashy, you know?

• Love 1

Lord have mercy. If that little shit Christian ever told me not to buy my make up with my own money, it would be the slap heard round the world. What a little douchlord. He really looks like he's about to unload on her at any minute. I always see him looking at the camera out of the corner of his eye to see if he can hit her really quickly without any repercussions. It must be terrible to know that you raised such a piece of shit.

Veeral needs to stop throwing his wife under the bus. If you want to go home for a quick breast-feeding from mom every couple of days, cool, but don't expect someone to make your family and their needs the only focus of their lives. His wife and her "non-traditional" bullshit is really boring, but it's irksome to see him rolling his eyes at her and blaming her for leaving a party after four hours.

Megan's mother-in-law continues to be insufferable, but I feel like she learned a few lessons from seeing herself on TV last season. We shall see.

• Love 5

Probably. Can't say I blame her though, Christian doesn't seem like he'd be good in bed at all.

It's just odd to me since almost every other gypsy show I have ever seen they all are pretty open about sex, being affectionate, etc. and the Miller clan is very tightlipped about everything even remotely personal. They seem total opposites of the gypsies we've seen on My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and Gypsy Sisters.. The Millers seem less trashy, you know?

There was another show about gypsies a few years ago and they were just like the ones Maria and Christian are. I call them the mob gypsies and the other ones trashy gypsies. LOL They are VERY different. The ones on Arranged are the ones that usually have the women working in those palm reading shops. At least the ones I watched before. I want to say it was on History Channel. It was a reality show on a family of them. Some of what is being said by these ones weren't said by the other ones though that I ever saw on it. If I remember right it was about the same area. I just know I never saw them fight about money and such or treat it like these ones seem to or the topic of sex either. 

And as for Veeral and Ragini...I completely get her on spending that time with his family. My husband's family was always doing parties for everything it seemed like. Drove me nuts having to go because of how it was for me. I was basically just there. They didn't talk to me so it was pointless to be there. They are crazy about how you have to be at their Christmas Eve party too. Its insane and I am one of those that would rather not deal with it at all. Being pushed on the kid topic is stupid. If she wants them they will have them when its time. He married her knowing it wasn't going to happen right away. If he thought once married it would be different he wasn't to bright on that. He is to much of a mommy's boy. She should have ran the other way IMO. 

• Love 2

I didn't even realize it was baaaack...so a (sort of) nice surprise

Josh and Megan still bother me cause I don't feel they were "arranged" and I think she lives in a dream world of a long ago "southern belle" that is in the heads of her, her mother and the obnoxious MIL. 

Why would everyone leave all the purses, wallets, cell phones in the suv? where were they wen it was robbed they bore me so I was only half watching

Now that the beautiful clothes and ceremonies of their wedding are over Ragani and Vernal are truly boring. I do seem to recall her family lives in Houston 

I don't understand why they could not just explain to his family that she had reservations for the wine tasting, prepaid tickets etc. Much ado about nothing

But yay for the Gypsy family who never cease to amaze and provide entertaiment. Who knew that flower selling was so intricate and lucrative? I thought it was weird the way the 2 men stood outside. Snoop Dawg? LOL. 

Michael and Nina remain the best "matched" couple, they did say they had crushed on each other from childhood, watched each other in church etc...knew each other....Christian and Maria were truly arranged. Christian is a jerk we alll know....but I do feel at heart he is not in love - or like - with Maria and now the feeling is mutual.

My grandparents were all from Ireland (well 3 of them, 1 from Wales - a "mixed" marriage LOL). No arranged marriages...but the Irish Irish side was so Catholic divorce was NOT an option. My grandfather's sister and her husband hated each other and had separate bedrooms. When visit them they did NOT talk to each other..they would have the rest of us talk for them...and they hurled insults about each other and never spoke directly

Looking back it was horrible that 2 people spent so many years together hating each other. "Old world" nonsense..

• Love 3

I have to believe that Veeral and Ragini are just putting on a show for the cameras. I HAVE to believe this, because no two sane adults would continue to have the same revolving door arguments every day. And Veeral's sister, too. She seems way too conscious of the cameras, and her arguments are nonsensical! "we've all fallen in love with you! We crave your company! Were you just pretending to love us too, so you could get your filthy, modern Indian woman hooks into my brother?" Girl, take a seat. You are insane.

• Love 10

Given that I see Ragni and Veeral as faking fakers who fake, I should not be at all outraged at the blatant manipulation and pressure inflicted upon Ragni by Veeral and his doting family - particularly as I do NOT like Ragni at all, but she has been pretty clear from the start that she is not a traditional, unwesternized Indian woman...still, it is not just the things he does, but the obvious joy and pleasure on Veeral's face every time he blindsides Ragni with yet another example of his total disrespect for her and his total obsession with having everything his way that convinces me of his actual personality....if the previews are to be believed,  an upcoming episode will show them house hunting and steered by Veeral (no surprise there) to a house that is just down the street from his parents - which he gleefully and smirkingly announces on camera.  If this were a real situation, I would say Ragni should get herself a new place to live and file for divorce as fast as possible...if this is not a real situation, I would say Ragni should get herself a new place to live and file for divorce as fast as possible because IMNSHO any man who is willing to portray himself as a manipulative, disrespecting control freak of a douche bag is NOT good husband material by any stretch of the imagination. Since every other word seems to refer to traditional Indian marriage, I think Veeral and his parents need to go to India, start looking through the bride books, and find a nice, traditional, unwesternized Indian girl who will be happy to conform to the traditional idea of what a good, traditoinal Indian wife should be...I'm sure Veeral's sister would approve...and they can all live happily every after...traditionally....

GO MARIA!!!!! I totally want to hear what her 'rules' are...I am very glad that she is speaking up for herself....I hope it never stops.

Josh.....seriuosly?  Meghan....have you learned NOTHING?   Lisa....go pound sand....the Southern way, of course....with clean sand....and a feather duster...and sweet tea...

Edited by becauseIsaidso
  • Love 2

Is it possible Christian is gay or asexual, just not into girls or a relationship?

I refuse, REFUSE I say, to even think of the words 'sex' and 'Christian' in the same sentence.  But, unfortunately, I think it has happened....mainly because, throughout time, the 'deflowering' of the virgin bride has been one of the most enduring signs of a 'real' marriage. Otherwise, it would have been easy peasy for Maria to go back to her own family's 'Gypsy Elders' and claim lack of consummation as grounds for abandoning the marriage....one quick exam by an 'approved' doc, and she could well have been legitimately free of Christian - and with all the blame placed on him as failing to perform his husbandly duties....and BOY would Nina and Michael ever have exploded over that one!!!

• Love 2

There was another show about gypsies a few years ago and they were just like the ones Maria and Christian are. I call them the mob gypsies and the other ones trashy gypsies. LOL They are VERY different. The ones on Arranged are the ones that usually have the women working in those palm reading shops. At least the ones I watched before. I want to say it was on History Channel. It was a reality show on a family of them. Some of what is being said by these ones weren't said by the other ones though that I ever saw on it. If I remember right it was about the same area. I just know I never saw them fight about money and such or treat it like these ones seem to or the topic of sex either. 

And as for Veeral and Ragini...I completely get her on spending that time with his family. My husband's family was always doing parties for everything it seemed like. Drove me nuts having to go because of how it was for me. I was basically just there. They didn't talk to me so it was pointless to be there. They are crazy about how you have to be at their Christmas Eve party too. Its insane and I am one of those that would rather not deal with it at all. Being pushed on the kid topic is stupid. If she wants them they will have them when its time. He married her knowing it wasn't going to happen right away. If he thought once married it would be different he wasn't to bright on that. He is to much of a mommy's boy. She should have ran the other way IMO.

I vividly remember that other show. They lived in Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan and they specialized in "psychic" shops and they couldn't read or write too well. They had easily recognized New York Medicaid cards that were shown during various hospital visits (e.g., one wife's child birth). I can't get enough of these. Lately in New York we have had a couple of high profile prosecutions for fortune teller extortion. 

• Love 1

I vividly remember that other show. They lived in Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan and they specialized in "psychic" shops and they couldn't read or write too well. They had easily recognized New York Medicaid cards that were shown during various hospital visits (e.g., one wife's child birth). I can't get enough of these. Lately in New York we have had a couple of high profile prosecutions for fortune teller extortion. 

They were the ones who tanned with motor oil and brushed their teeth with bleach.

They were the ones who tanned with motor oil and brushed their teeth with bleach.

I remember seeing commercials for that but never actually watched it. Anyone know what it's called and if it is on YouTube or anything?

Let's please be a bit more careful about terminology, as this has shown up in the Report Center.

Specifically, we're concerned about the word "gypsy" and its derivatives. The word "g*****" is considered quite racist, and we don't allow racist language at PTV. I'd also like to note that Christian and his family refer to themselves as "Romani" when they label themselves as anything. So that is the preferred term here. (On other shows where people refer to themselves as "gypsy," it's fine. This is a forum-specific mod note.)

I'm editing a couple of posts. Overall, this is a good forum and you're great posters, so carry on.

Thanks!

• Love 1

The city next to where I live there was a big thing in the papers years ago on these ones that own those psychic shops. Even on that show they made it clear how you aren't suppose to open one within so many blocks or something of another family. That is why there was issues here. It was a messed up thing. This was in Newport Beach, Ca. 

Those are the Gypsy Sisters. They do that. 

Oh I found the name of that show and correct channel it had been on. It was American Gypsies on National Geographic. 

Biting tongue on something else posted now.

I will say I find it interesting seeing how different these people live and do things. 

Edited by Evil Queen

I finally just watched this. Only comment to add- it appeared that Maria's lipsticks were MAC - those are not cheap.

I am not a young teen who sells flowers for a couple of hours each night, and I don't have that much MAC makeup (not that I even want it).

Christian's controlling BS aside, she should be shopping at Walgreen's for make-up.

Oh, and she doesn't need a $200 curling iron either!!

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 1

Christian's controlling BS aside, she should be shopping at Walgreen's for make-up.

And he should be shopping at Target or K-Mart for dress shirts and ties, because a (presumably) unemployed/laborer 19 year old kid doesn't need $350 of shirts and ties, either!!  That being said, what does a $200 curling iron do that a $50 one doesn't?

• Love 2

I'm sure Maria knows that a curling iron does not cost $200.  She was testing Christian to see if he would spend the amount of money on her that he spent on himself. He totally failed that test. If he had said, "Here baby, get your curling iron", she would have been okay with that. You have to be reciprocal in a romantic relationship. 

• Love 3

I have to laugh because I have seen this $200 iron come up several times, as people think it's ludicrous. I am assuming it's actually a flattening iron (judging by her well maintained hair styles). $200 for a proper ceramic flat iron is expensive but reasonable as you get what you pay for. Ceramic irons are more expensive, but they do not damage the hair, and they somehow manage to allow the hair to retain the heat/straightening.

• Love 1