Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: The Battles Premiere, Part 2

• Start Topic

I kind of think Ivonne would have been better off with Gwen. One of her problems seems to be not being able to relax and move during a performance. Gwen could have helped her progress more with that then I think Blake will.

Plus, if she "always wanted" to work with Blake, it sounds like that's just going to make her more nervous! Why not go with the judge that you won't feel quite as much pressure signing in front of, to help alleviate your nerves.

• Love 1

Plus, if she "always wanted" to work with Blake, it sounds like that's just going to make her more nervous! Why not go with the judge that you won't feel quite as much pressure signing in front of, to help alleviate your nerves.

I have a feeling Blake is the coach she has wanted since the very beginning. During the blinds, I remember her calling him out for not turning for her after saying he would last season.

Gwen woud definitely help her more on stage presence for sure but I doubt Gwen would keep her past knockouts.

Edited by waving feather

I have a feeling Blake is the coach she has wanted since the very beginning. During the blinds, I remember her calling him out for not turning for her after saying he would last season.

Gwen woud definitely help her more work stage presence for sure but I doubt Gwen would keep her past knockouts.

Doesn't Gwen have the overall weaker team though? Honestly I think she should start using that in her pitches. I do think you're right about Ivonne having her sights on Blake already.

I enjoyed the banter between Gwen and Blake tonight. I feel like the show is going to take us on a "are they or aren't they" ride just for publicity, but as long as it's fun to watch, I'm ok with it. 

• Love 2

I can't believe no one saved Krista Hughes who was so good with the challenging song Blake gave her and, on her own with "Angel From Montgomery", had been one of my all-time favorite blind auditions of any season.

Considering some of the others that have been saved so far (Regina Love is one), I'm so disappointed not to be able to hear her sing again. I think she really had something special.

• Love 6

Huh. I apparently forgot that the Voice contractually obligates the last battle of every Battle Round/K.O. round episode to be a steal. I simply couldn't rationalize the show spinning that far off of it's axis by letting Krista Hughes go. And by Blake of all people who added to an extremely short list of non-country singers defeating country singers on his team. Chris was fine and all (w/out knowing his belief system at all, I totally could see him releasing a successful Contemporary Christian CD. He just has that look and a Michael W. Smith/Steven Curtis Chapman vibe to him). But Krista could've been transcendent (w/in the parameters of the show of course).

Also bummed that Pharrell axed Sydney Rhame, and it got montaged to boot. Gwen's continuing avalanche of montages was less surprising. Glad Jeffery is still here, could care less about Kota.

Siahna is a strange bird. The disconnect between her singing personality and her non-singing personality is seriously jarring. Yvonne is still a ball of nerves. Not a fan of that song choice, they did what they could with it but the song itself doesn't really seem to go anywhere.

Keith and Manny.....eh, I guess the slightly more marketable guy survives. Both of their paint-by-numbers, OTT-ness became just a little too much by the end of the song.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

Agreed with the coaches choices in each of the battles shown.  Wish that Ivonne Acero had chosen Gwen though instead of Blake.  She was pretty pitchy throughout her portion of the battle and I was saying "don't press the button, Blake!" That being said, I'm not sure why Gwen thought Ivonne was steal-worthy either and I seriously question her judgment if she was one of the singers she had her eye on and thought was special enough to steal.

It felt like the Temptations was a little too mature for those young women. I felt like Siahna was able to get into it, belt it out, but it was just a poor choice all around for Ivonne.  

I, too, am upset that Krista was let go - something about her tone gave me the chills every time... in a good way! 

• Love 2

Siahna is a strange bird. The disconnect between her singing personality and her non-singing personality is seriously jarring. 

That girl has a ridiculous (and somewhat justified) amount of confidence on stage. So yeah. It kind of contrasts with that little girl persona she has otherwise.

• Love 1

I can't believe no one saved Krista Hughes who was so good with the challenging song Blake gave her and, on her own with "Angel From Montgomery", had been one of my all-time favorite blind auditions of any season.

Agreed. She had a throwback country voice, a little like Emmy Lou Harris, which is way more interesting to me than the standard, contemporary country singers this show usually gets. Blake called that out after her audition, and he seemed really invested in working with her. I don't see what he can do with Chris, who at 30 is already fully formed as a singer. (And I don't think is good or different enough to go far).

There were some issues with Christa's performance, but she was at least as good as the two girls who finished the show. For me that battle felt very high school talent show, and I think that's how it was judged. On a big curve.  (By the way, Siahna keeps talking about Auburn, WA as a little town. It's actually part of the greater Seattle-Tacoma area. I guess maybe if you're 15 and don't drive it may feel isolated. But it's definitely not some little village in apple orchard country).

Huh. I apparently forgot that the Voice contractually obligates the last battle of every Battle Round/K.O. round episode to be a steal.

Keith and Manny.....eh, I guess the slightly more marketable guy survives. Both of their paint-by-numbers, OTT-ness became just a little too much by the end of the song.

Yeah, zero suspense there, as usual for the last battle. I think they even showed the steal happening in the pre-commercial teaser. Way to go!!

Regarding Keith and Manny, I get what you're saying, but that was still my favorite battle. It was OTT at times, but that's the approach Adam was encouraging them to take, and they both managed to maintain a decent tone while hitting those high notes. Especially Keith. But I think he was going to win anyway, based on looks and youth compared to Manny. And I think Manny's age was why he didn't get a save. It's really only about "The Voice" in the blinds.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

That battle of "You Keep Me Hangin' On" made me desperately miss Kim Wilde. Boy, I thought it stunk. They were both phrasing it so weirdly and awkwardly. It was bad.

Krista Hughes really got screwed. She was very good and just had a tough song. She deserved to move on. I don't get the judges at all.

Glad the montage showed Mady Davis getting through. She's one of the few I recall liking during the audition rounds.

• Love 2

I hated that Baba O' Riley battle. Sung well but just so cheesy and dated. If that's the direction they were told to go, sorry, it sucked. I had to 2nd hand embarrassment.

Neither of the two young girls are ready for prime time but Blake is a sucker for cute young girls (and I don't mean in a creepy way... Just he has soft spot for them in a fatherly way). So I wasn't surprised he stole Ivonne.

Krista and Chris. This sucks because I like both of them. Why Blake why. But this shows both of them are not his favorites.

It felt like the Temptations was a little too mature for those young women.

This was a hit for Diana Ross and The Supremes  and Vanilla Fudge.  I prefer

VG version, but I'm laughing at the idea of having those girls trying to pull that off.

As far as age, the Supremes were in their early 20's when they did this song, but they

were in their mid-teens when they started recording for Motown.

What was up with the huge montage of the battle rounds?   I feel like this show is wasting my time because they show so little of what actually happened.

This has been the format for several seasons now. 24 battles. Show 6 on the 2 hour shows, show 3 plus a montage of 3 on the hour shows.

I wish they'd stop with the Baba O'Reilly, too; Roger Daltrey is a pretty hard act to follow. Everytime I hear the song on one of these competitions (and I think this is at least the third time The Voice has used it) all I can hear in my head is Roger's voice scream-singing it.

Krista should have stayed over the Baytown guy (Chris? - I'm so bad at names until they thin the herd). He's a good singer, but she has something special and I'm so surprised with Blake choosing him over her. Also, I couldn't tell if she was just super disappointed or if she wanted to cut a bitch when he didn't pick her. It seems pretty obvious that the steals were all gone on that one. Otherwise, I cannot imagine one of the other judges not wanting her. Although Gwen's steals and attempts at steals have been suspect so far.

Ivonne was pretty awful, and I hate saying that because I think she's cute and has a sweet personality. But I cannot believe Blake used one of his steals on her. Then again, I guess we all know they need fodder going forward as well, and I think he felt bad after he didn't turn in her audition and she seemed so disappointed.

Finally, I must be the only one in the known universe who is bugged by Sianha. Please do not get me wrong; girl has singing skills and stage presence. It's obvious, though, that she's very smart, and her whole thing from top to bottom seems really calculated to me. I guess at 15, I want to see something a little more genuine about her.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

Keith and Manny.....eh, I guess the slightly more marketable guy survives.

This was the only battle I wanted to see, and I missed it although I saw all the others. So Manny went home? He was my favorite for the entire season, but on this show a 15-year-old can win, a 30-year-old goes home, regardless of talent. It's all about the looks and marketability I guess. (Maybe Manny is older than 30, I've forgotten, but still, point made.)

The ones who got the montage ... so much for their 15 minutes of fame I guess.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

This was the only battle I wanted to see, and I missed it although I saw all the others. So Manny went home? He was my favorite for the entire season, but on this show a 15-year-old can win, a 30-year-old goes home, regardless of talent. It's all about the looks and marketability I guess. (Maybe Manny is older than 30, I've forgotten, but still, point made.)

Manny is 45, which is like 85 in TV singing contest show terms. Especially now that The Voice has gone the way of AI in tacking much younger. Truth be told, I wasn't enamored of Manny in his 4 chair audition. I thought he sounded like what he is, a guy who sings in a metal bar band in Jersey. But I felt bad for him, because at the audition the judges were acting like he was the greatest thing ever, when I already knew he was not going any further based on his age and looks.

I was not a huge fan of Sawyer Fredericks last year, but I can see the argument that despite his youth there was something special about him. I don't see that in Sianha or Ivonne or any of the other teens this year. It's all about "aren't they cute," and let's encourage the kids.

The producers clearly think that people watch The Voice for the judges. Otherwise, they could edit out some of the endless banter between the judges and have time to at least show the complete performances in the montaged battles.  Without the whole rehearsal package, the actual performances are what, maybe two minutes?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

I already knew he was not going any further based on his age and looks.

Thanks Bluepiano. Yeah, I knew that too, but I was hoping. He was something different than the parents "giving up everything" so the teen could "pursue his/her dream" on a show "that means everything" and is "the only chance they'll ever have" to be a star.

The producers clearly think that people watch The Voice for the judges. Otherwise, they could edit out some of the endless banter between the judges

The judges must get a pretty good paycheck, although I have no idea how much. And maybe contracts say they have to get X amount of camera time? So much of the banter is repetitive, I usually turn the channel, then come back when they're done.

Edited by saber5055

Pharrel's song choices really annoy me. Way played out Motown stuff that we have heard a million times. It's like he just goes through the soundtracks of the sister act movies. How about an original idea, dude? Or at least something from this century, perhaps? I get his strategy. People like wedding playlists but it does not make for interesting watching. It's boring as hell. End rant.

• Love 5

Thanks Bluepiano. Yeah, I knew that too, but I was hoping. He was something different than the parents "giving up everything" so the teen could "pursue his/her dream" on a show "that means everything" and is "the only chance they'll ever have" to be a star.

Yes, or my favorite, from someone 15 and teary, "I've been trying for this all my life!" It always refreshing to see good singers over 30 make it past the blinds. I'm sorry Manny didn't get farther. Keith is good for what he does, but I find him pretty generic.  And as overperformed as "Baba O'Reilly" is, it's nothing like Pharrell's catalogue of "oldies but goodies you've heard thousands of times before".

Maybe he thinks he's introducing these song to a younger generation? I know people raved about "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and, no question, they were both very good on it, but with such familiar songs, it gets really hard to hear them "new" unless there's something really special and different with the arrangement/performance.  Ceelo might have found it, but that's not a strength for Pharrell.

I can't believe they montaged Kota Wade (Team Gwen), Madi Davis (Team Pharrell), and Jeffrey Austin (Team Gwen), especially those last two who seemed strong in the blinds.  Gwen's pitches--and her team--already seem so weak and then she's montaged on top of it? Were they really that bad?

And ITA about hating the montages. The "backstories" could be cut by about 70% and there'd be more than enough time for us to see everyone. Do the producers think that's really more boring than hearing again the same story you heard last week? Even if the performances are not that good, these people were all chosen in their auditions so how bad, really, can they be? The favoritism really skews the voting toward certain people going into the lives, too, because you've seen them more and know more about them personally and are more invested. I guess I should feel glad for Krista that at least she wasn't montaged. She's taken a place with Jamie Lomo as a talent that I thought really deserved a different song and longer stay. 

I was glad Blake stole Ivonne because she has a good voice and I love her story, even if she wasn't at 100% last night. (Kind of sad for Gwen to put it all out there and lose her to someone whose pitch involved babbling nonsense about planting cantalopes, but what the heck. Blake could read the phone book, and I'd choose him too.)

I'm having trouble getting to like Siaha, whom I think Pharrell will be keeping around for a long time. She's cute and obviously -very- smart and I like her spunkiness and non-conformity even at an age when you're being pushed so hard to be like everyone else.

Her voice and delivery are very mature. But...I hated her song choice during the blinds ("Fever"). She did fine with it, but when you can choose from so many songs, I don't understand why a 15 year old would choose that song--and it's annoying that she was convinced she could do it justice. Oh well. Maybe Pharrell will give her some old overplayed Motown hit next time and I'll get over it.  (And I don't know anything about the Seattle-Tacoma area, but if its at all like the LA-Long Beach area, yes, lots of parts are urban, even cosmopolitan, but there are also lots of little pit-stop, hell holes in there along the way, too. Maybe she lives in a place like that, which really could feel "dead end" despite proximity to a big city.  Or, it could just be part of the whole, "I'm adorable and plucky" routine.  Time will tell, I guess, because I have a feeling she'll be with Pharrell to the end.)

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

Y'know, I thought I heard Blake say to Krista "Those bridges are still haunting us" or something like that.

It made me think that she was not just flat during the battle round, but maybe also during rehearsals.

What sucked the most to me was that I thought the song choice and key favored Chris. And as Blake pointed out, Krista took "a man's song" (I paraphrase) and did something with it. So yeah, the song was technically in Krista's wheelhouse (country) but arranged more to favor Chris. Didn't Brad P. even say they needed to do something with the song (during rehearsal) to give Krista a "moment"? 

Now, maybe Krista should have been able to rise above it and do a better job, even if she's not all that experienced in front of cameras, etc. Chris really eclipsed her, performance-wise. But if you get a song that is not all that equal-opportunity to begin with--I mean, who really was showcased in that song, Brad Paisley or Dolly Parton?--a song that your coach has to get creative with in order to find an interesting way for you to deliver your part, well, that sucks.

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 2

The singer Manny lost to was also over 30. Manny didn't lose to a 15 yo kid. He lost to another non-kid rocker.

ETA: The Voice has been very kind to the 30+ set. Of the 8 winners, 4 have been over 30. This is the wrong show to complain about teeny-bopper domination.

Edited by Amy Beth
  • Love 2

The singer Manny lost to was also over 30. Manny didn't lose to a 15 yo kid. He lost to another non-kid rocker.

ETA: The Voice has been very kind to the 30+ set. Of the 8 winners, 4 have been over 30. This is the wrong show to complain about teeny-bopper domination.

That's a good point--I can barely remember the winners, much less their ages, lol. But there's still a significant difference to me in someone 45 and 32.  Maybe 32 seems already "too late" but it could happen. At 45 it's hard to imagine you're ever going to have much of a recording career (though fortunately people like Susan Boyle still pop up occasionally on these kinds of shows and make that dream happen).  For most people, I hope they'll stay on long enough to get the most likely benefit--improved pay and variety of gigs locally. That's another reason I hate the montages. Other than saying, "As seen on the Voice" in a flyer, it really gives an artist nothing at all after a whole lot of work and hope. 

But, yes, to your point. This isn't AI. Fortunately.

Doesn't Gwen have the overall weaker team though? Honestly I think she should start using that in her pitches. I do think you're right about Ivonne having her sights on Blake already.

I enjoyed the banter between Gwen and Blake tonight. I feel like the show is going to take us on a "are they or aren't they" ride just for publicity, but as long as it's fun to watch, I'm ok with it. 

Nah, that can't be Gwen's pitch.  She can't really bash her existing team.  

I haven't been watching the episodes.  But I suspect that the Gwen/Blake rumors circulating in the media were really planted by the show.  

I remember reading Blind Gossip not too long ago. One of the blinds was that we would see a Gwen/Blake flirtation (maybe even a date or two) during this season of The Voice, but that it would just be a PR stunt, perhaps dreamed up in part to help deflect audience attention from the two singers' respective divorces... Take it for what it's worth.

"When I Get Where I'm Going" was a poor pick for the battle rounds.  It's a lovely, sad and nostalgic song that from beginning to end tells a story.  Chopping it up for a TV time constraint robbed the song of what made it lovely to listen to.  I'm still amazed that Krista wasn't stolen by one of the other coaches. 

Speaking of poor song picks, I'm looking at you, Pharrell.  Dated and done-to-death songs that, frankly, I'm sick of hearing on reality singing contests.  

Another meh night in the battle rounds.  Hopefully, the good stuff is still to come.

• Love 1

This was a very disappointing episode.  While I can't really strongly disagree with the winners of the three battles we were actually shown, I didn't like the fact that:

1. None of those three battles were all that great, at least in part because of poor song selection.

2. Three of my favorites got montaged (Madi, Jeffrey and Sydney)

3. None of the four people stolen so far deserved to be stolen over several of the contestants who have been eliminated (beginning with Krista and Manny).

The breakdown is 4 winners over 30, 2 in their mid to late 20s and only 2 teens.  Furthermore, high school kids have always had trouble even reaching the later rounds on this show, which have always tended to be dominated by much more mature and experienced contestants. The likes of Danielle, Sawyer and Jacquie Lee are very much the exception rather than the rule.  College aged kids have hardly done much better and none of them have been able to win.

I actually do like Siaha, but I see her going out at Top 12 or Top 10, assuming she even makes it that far.

Doesn't Gwen have the overall weaker team though? Honestly I think she should start using that in her pitches. 

Nobody would EVER use that in a pitch. Even were it true (I actually don't think it is--especially compared to Blake's team), you don't admit weakness.

Blake's team this season was weak because while the show tried so HARD to portray it as having diversity... it didn't. 3/4 of it was country, and they were always fated to eat each other (except those going up against his non-country acts, who were probably fated to lose, so Blake could continue to project at least a LITTLE diversity of acts). 

Gwen had a few seriously weak acts, it's true, but also a larger sprinkling of unique and pretty good ones she could spread around. 

By the time both teams eliminate 50% of themselves, Blake may indeed have a better team through attrition. But before that attrition I think she might have had the better (short term) team.

Adam probably had better than either of them though.

Nobody would EVER use that in a pitch. Even were it true (I actually don't think it is--especially compared to Blake's team), you don't admit weakness.

Blake's team this season was weak because while the show tried so HARD to portray it as having diversity... it didn't. 3/4 of it was country, and they were always fated to eat each other (except those going up against his non-country acts, who were probably fated to lose, so Blake could continue to project at least a LITTLE diversity of acts). 

Gwen had a few seriously weak acts, it's true, but also a larger sprinkling of unique and pretty good ones she could spread around. 

By the time both teams eliminate 50% of themselves, Blake may indeed have a better team through attrition. But before that attrition I think she might have had the better (short term) team.

Adam probably had better than either of them though.

Maybe there's a better thread to discuss this, but Gwen I think had the worst record in face offs and had the most montaged artists. I wouldn't agree that a strong team is necessarily diverse. Blake killed it the season he brought Danielle and the Swons to finale. He was very countrified that season too. 

Back to this episode, yeah, Gwen is still losing when she fights for artists. I was kind of kidding about using the "I have a weak team as a pitch" thing, but I do think someone like Ivonne would benefit from being on a team with fewer artists with a lot of buzz. She's someone who needs time to grow. I'm not sure she can progress enough in a short time, but I think she'd get more time on Gwen's team.

The judges must get a pretty good paycheck, although I have no idea how much. And maybe contracts say they have to get X amount of camera time? So much of the banter is repetitive, I usually turn the channel, then come back when they're done.

In an interview with Blake a year or two ago, "60 Minutes" said that based on their research, The Voice was paying him $13 million per season. Blake didn't refute it so that number is probably in the right ballpark.

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1

(And I don't know anything about the Seattle-Tacoma area, but if its at all like the LA-Long Beach area, yes, lots of parts are urban, even cosmopolitan, but there are also lots of little pit-stop, hell holes in there along the way, too. Maybe she lives in a place like that, which really could feel "dead end" despite proximity to a big city.  Or, it could just be part of the whole, "I'm adorable and plucky" routine.  Time will tell, I guess, because I have a feeling she'll be with Pharrell to the end.)

I think it's a matter of perception, and most 15 year olds probably feel that the place they live is a "dead end." The reality is that Auburn is reasonably close to either Seattle or Tacoma, where her parents could take her to see any number of concerts, touring Broadway shows etc.

That aside, her small town references struck me as perhaps a bit of spin. Like she was trying give her story a Cinderella flavor. I think that kids (even as young as 15) who have grown up watching The Voice and AI can easily figure out what kinds of things go over well with the judges and audience. Wasn't part of the appeal of Sawyer Fredericks his whole "fresh off the farm" image? (Which in his case did strike me as genuine).

On the age issue, The Voice has certainly been kinder to plus 30s than American Idol by definition, since isn't the maximum age for AI 28? But I do believe that in the current pop music scene there's a strong undercurrent of "the younger the better," so it would not be surprising if The Voice were reflecting that.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

The age thing also varies by coach. Adam tends to favor the more experienced (and therefore older) contestants. Christina goes with younger. Blake with country singers of any age and younger women of other genres. Pharrell has only been on for two seasons...he went with experienced folks in the lives for his first season but then went super young in the second. Of course there are exceptions to the above but these have been the general trends.

In an interview with Blake a year or two ago, "60 Minutes" said that based on their research, The Voice was paying him $13 million per season. Blake didn't refute it so that number is probably in the right ballpark.

Thanks for this, Noreaster. Figures like that always stagger me when there are so many people working 80-hour weeks who are splurging when they buy one thing off the dollar menu. But I guess that's the dream of all the contestants on this show, to maybe get a fraction of that $13 million in their own pockets.

I'm betting the show has to focus a lot on the judges and their banter and interaction. The show has been good for them being recognized outside of the music industry, so there's that. Promotion breeds promotion!

I do wonder how the "helper" singer-star coaches are selected though. Are they really best friends of the judges or do their agents petition to get them on the show?

• Love 1

On the age issue, The Voice has certainly been kinder to plus 30s than American Idol by definition, since isn't the maximum age for AI 28? But I do believe that in the current pop music scene there's a strong undercurrent of "the younger the better," so it would not be surprising if The Voice were reflecting that.

Good reminder about the max age on AI being 28. I'd forgotten about that. This show's just so much better in every way.

I'm actually kind of intrigued by the idea of Gwen pitching based on her team's weakness. Christina tries a light version of that--"These guys are played out, I'm hungry and ready to win this season."  It's probably a terrible idea to emphasize that top people don't choose you, but if there was any way it worked, that really IS true. Maybe something like...

"Blake and Adam have teams with so many four-chair turns. But the first step is the battle round and if you go to them, you're going to be fighting against someone they promised the moon to on a four chair turn. My team's a lot more even and I'll give you an equal chance at a great showcase with a song that isn't out of your range. Plus, I've been in a band for years and can help you work on the performance aspects of this in ways none of these guys can. Winning this--getting that career you want--is about more than having a great voice; all the people chosen have that. It's also about being a great performer and I have the experience to help you get the extra edge that gives you. I can help get you ready for the battle rounds and knockouts, then by the time you get to the lives, you'll feel comfortable with all aspects of doing this. Look what I did for Craig Wayne Boyd!" 

Okay, it doesn't really work. But she's got to do something different! No more "mom" pitches, shopping tips or flirty pitches--they're just embarrassing!  And, from what I remember, she impressed as a coach by obviously putting effort and thought into the song choice, having good advice for them during rehearsal and deciding fairly at the end. I think she's better at listening to the kind of song you want to do during the lives, and that alone would give her an edge over Adam for me.

I can't believe they montaged Kota Wade (Team Gwen), Madi Davis (Team Pharrell), and Jeffrey Austin (Team Gwen), especially those last two who seemed strong in the blinds.  Gwen's pitches--and her team--already seem so weak and then she's montaged on top of it? Were they really that bad?

Not necessarily.  Maybe the opponent was bad, making for a really lopsided battle (which tends to be bad TV).  They still won their battles, after all.  (I believe Cassadee Pope had a montaged battle and still went on to win the whole show, so montaging doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on the battle's winner.)

• Love 1

I'm betting the show has to focus a lot on the judges and their banter and interaction. The show has been good for them being recognized outside of the music industry, so there's that. Promotion breeds promotion!

I do wonder how the "helper" singer-star coaches are selected though. Are they really best friends of the judges or do their agents petition to get them on the show?

When the show first started, I'm pretty sure the coaches personally selected/requested their helpers. I remember S1 Adam had Maroon 5's music director. (And Xtina had Sia who showed her face!)

But as the show became a hit, it feels more like product placement. It can't be a coincidence that Selena Gomez dropped her album this week, can it?

Edited by Amy Beth
  • Love 1

Good reminder about the max age on AI being 28. I'd forgotten about that. This show's just so much better in every way.

I'm actually kind of intrigued by the idea of Gwen pitching based on her team's weakness. Christina tries a light version of that--"These guys are played out, I'm hungry and ready to win this season."  It's probably a terrible idea to emphasize that top people don't choose you, but if there was any way it worked, that really IS true. Maybe something like...

"Blake and Adam have teams with so many four-chair turns. But the first step is the battle round and if you go to them, you're going to be fighting against someone they promised the moon to on a four chair turn. My team's a lot more even and I'll give you an equal chance at a great showcase with a song that isn't out of your range. Plus, I've been in a band for years and can help you work on the performance aspects of this in ways none of these guys can. Winning this--getting that career you want--is about more than having a great voice; all the people chosen have that. It's also about being a great performer and I have the experience to help you get the extra edge that gives you. I can help get you ready for the battle rounds and knockouts, then by the time you get to the lives, you'll feel comfortable with all aspects of doing this. Look what I did for Craig Wayne Boyd!" 

Okay, it doesn't really work. But she's got to do something different! No more "mom" pitches, shopping tips or flirty pitches--they're just embarrassing!  And, from what I remember, she impressed as a coach by obviously putting effort and thought into the song choice, having good advice for them during rehearsal and deciding fairly at the end. I think she's better at listening to the kind of song you want to do during the lives, and that alone would give her an edge over Adam for me.

Poor Gwen.  Her pitch to Ivonne was actually pretty good in comparison to Blake's cantaloupe one.  The coaches have been telling good country artists that Blake's team is full of good country artists.  So they do say something like that which doesn't make their team look bad.  It usually doesn't work since they still pick Blake.

Gwen does need to use her band experience and helping with performance in her pitches.  She is a good coach in the private sessions and gives a lot of helpful tips.

Argh! I really loved Sydney Rhame's audition. I wonder why Pharrell passed on her? (I can't stand these awful, constant montages...)

I hate that they montaged Madi and Sydney's battle.  I wanted to see their battle and wondered how well Sydney did or if she messed up, etc.

Team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam

Jordan Smith (defeated Regina Love)

Keith Semple (defeated Manny Cabo)

Dustin Christensen (stolen from Team Blake)

(Still Waiting)

Amanda Ayala

Cassandra Robertson

Chance Peña

Viktor Király

Andi & Alex

Shelby Brown

Team Gwen

Ellie Lawrence (defeated Tim Atlas)

Kota Wade (defeated Alex Kandel)*

Jeffery Austin (defeated Noah Jackson)*

Regina Love (stolen from Team Adam)

(Still Waiting)

Braiden Sunshine

Hanna Ashbrook

Lyndsey Elm

Korin Bukowski

Chase Kerby

Summer Schappell

Team Pharrell

Mark Hood (defeated Celeste Betton)

Madi Davis (defeated Sydney Rhame)*

Siahna Im (defeated Ivonne Acero)

Tim Atlas (stolen from Team Gwen)

(Still Waiting)

Evan McKeel

Riley Biederer

Daria Jazmin

Jubal & Amanda

Darius Scott

Amy Vachal

Team Blake

Zach Seabaugh (defeated Tyler Dickerson)

Barrett Baber (defeated Dustin Christensen)

Chris Crump (defeated Krista Hughes)

Ivonne Acero (stolen from Team Pharrell)

(Still Waiting)

Nadjah Nicole

Blind Joe

Emily Ann Roberts

Morgan Frazier

Cole Criske

Blaine Mitchell

Names in bold indicate someone who has newly won a battle and stayed on his or her team, or has been freshly stolen.  An asterisk indicates that this contestant was montaged.

So the battles:

Keith vs. Manny: I was quite surprised at how well their voices meshed.  In the rehearsal footage, it sounded like a mess.  But the Battle wasn't half-bad at all!  Of the two, I might've chosen Keith, too.  Something about his voice I really liked.  Plus, his register was higher than Manny's, which really helped him.  Adam likes high-voiced guys.  I'd say I'm sorry to see Manny go, but I have no interest in artists once they choose Adam, so . . . goodbye, Manny.

Chris vs. Krista: Good mix of voices here, too.  Personally, I preferred Krista's voice.  But Chris's voice did come off a bit more emotional, so I could see why Blake would go with him.

Ivonne vs. Siahna: This was an excellent battle.  I'd like to hear the full version, though.  Based on what I heard, I might've preferred Siahna, too, so Pharrell chose right.  But Ivonne?  Really?  You chose Blake?  I agree with whoever thinks she should've chosen Gwen!  No way Blake will advance her past the Knockouts!

As for the montaged battles . . . damn it!  I wanted to see Kota's battle!  I can't believe she got montaged!  Agreed that Sydney must've really messed up, because I do not see Pharrell picking Madi over her otherwise.  And I can see Jeffery beating Noah.  Jeffery's the strongest male on Gwen's team.  Poor Noah, though -- montaged his entire time on the show.

I'm gonna ask this honestly.  Are the editors and producers so in love with Adam and Blake's teams?  So far, not a single battle on their teams has been montaged, while Pharrell's had a montaged battle, and Gwen's had two.

Edited by Bryce Smith
Finally, I must be the only one in the known universe who is bugged by Sianha. Please do not get me wrong; girl has singing skills and stage presence. It's obvious, though, that she's very smart, and her whole thing from top to bottom seems really calculated to me. I guess at 15, I want to see something a little more genuine about her.

You are not alone.  While I admit she is talented, I am allergic to this particular kind of precocious contestant.  I hope she does not go far and has some time to bake, instead.  If she turned out eventually like, say, Kimberly Nichole (S8), I could get behind her.  Also, I second the comments about that awful song choice.  Wish I could forget that.

I was excited to hear the choice of "When I Get Where I'm Going", especially with Brad P. sitting there and rearranging it for Krista.  I loved her blind audition, but I think she blew it, fair and square.  Then again, I also was excited about Brad P. as a mentor, but feel like he has been pretty cold and unhelpful (other than the re-arranging, which was great).  So maybe I'm just not feeling too nice lately.

• Love 1