Type keyword(s) to search

Steve Jobs (2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Starring Michael Fassbender in the title role. The film is directed by Danny Boyle and written by Aaron Sorkin (with a screenplay adapted both from Walter Isaacson's biography Steve Jobs as well as from interviews conducted by Sorkin). Also featuring Kate Winslet, Seth Rogen, and Jeff Daniels.

Opening October 9, 2015 or whenever in a theatre near you.

I'm sure his performance is fine (I've only seen the trailers), but Fassbender does NOT look like Jobs, and it seems like they even didn't try. It makes it really hard to suspend disbelief, especially when Jobs only died a little while ago, and we know what he looks and sounds like.

I got to see the film at an early screening, and Fassbender is so good in the role, you do let go of the physical angle. Sometimes I couldn't tell what the film wanted to focus on, but it's very good, and worth seeing.

• Love 1

This movie is excellent. I was enthralled with Michael Fassbender's performance. He transformed to play Steve. It was amazing to watch. Kate Winslet is great as his head of marketing/best friend. I loved that this movie put a good amount of focus on his relationship, or lack thereof, with Lisa. I could clearly tell that the relationship was driving force of the movie without losing focus on Steve's career. I loved the scene between Steve and Lisa during the iMac launch. I felt immensely conflicted about his character, which is a credit to the writing and acting. 

I thought Jeff Daniels and Seth Rogen were excellent as supporting cast members. The exit of Steve from Apple cutting back and forth to the conversation with Scully was very well done. It had excellent dramatic tension.

• Love 2

I thought this movie was fantastic.  All of the performances ranged from great (Seth Rogan, Jeff Daniels, the actresses who played Lisa) to outstanding (Michael Fassbender, Kate Winslet, Michael Stuhlbarg) and the editing and direction was excellent and, like PepSinger said, added to the dramatic tension.  It was so fast paced that the two hours flew right by.  I liked that they managed to tell the story within the confines of the buildings they were holding the launches with only a few different locations shown quickly in flashbacks.  I hated him, but at the same time felt a bit sorry for him, when it came to Lisa and wanting to love her, but not wanting to because of how his early childhood was.  Kudos to Michael Fassbender for pulling that off so beautifully (I'm especially thinking of his last scene with her talking about her mother, Harvard, the way he treated her, etc). 

The only problem I had was that because I don't know the history of Wozniak/Jobs/Apple, I didn't understand parts of it (like I said, the pace was fast!).  For ex. I don't really understand what the deal was with the Time cover and what he learned about it all those years later. 

I'm sure his performance is fine (I've only seen the trailers), but Fassbender does NOT look like Jobs, and it seems like they even didn't try. It makes it really hard to suspend disbelief, especially when Jobs only died a little while ago, and we know what he looks and sounds like.

I kept thinking that there was something about his look/mannerisms/way of speaking reminded me of Bradley Whitford, but all in all, I agree with LADreamr.  After a bit, you forgot all about it.  Seth Rogan, who was great, was a bit harder for me and that was because Seth almost always has that shaggy hair and beard and his voice didn't really change, so I kept slipping back and forth from feeling like I was watching Seth Rogan and Wozniak. 

I don't watch much tv in real time anymore, so I don't know how well this was advertised. I don't recall seeing a lot of posters at bus stops or on buses.  My 17 year old, who reads the movie sites and Entertainment magazine, mentioned that it wasn't marketed very well.  I wish it had been better--it really is worth seeing.  Another issue, I think, was the release date.  I think most people want scary or fantasy type of stuff in October because of Halloween and don't get to their serious movie watching until November.  Maybe, if it gets nominations, it will get more people out to see it. 

He only resembles Jobs in the last third of the film, where he is playing a middle-aged, gray and balding Steve Jobs. For the first two-thirds, they do little to even attempt a resemblance. But Fassbender is so damn good, and really creates the character they are looking to portray, that I have to admit the lack of resemblance made absolutely no difference to me. 

And though I love Aaron Sorkin, I am glad that the Sorkin-isms, while present, were toned down. I don't think I heard anyone say they were "never, ever sick at sea". Then again, I had to step out for 5 minutes to use the facilities, so perhaps that overused nugget was uttered during the scenes I missed.

Sorkin really works best when he is working with material not of his own creation (The Social Network, Moneyball, Charlie Wilson's War).

• Love 1
For ex. I don't really understand what the deal was with the Time cover and what he learned about it all those years later.

Jobs thought that he was going to be Time's Man of the Year, but lost out at the last minute due to the journalist's mention of the whole Lisa situation in an article. Instead, the computer itself became "Man" of the Year. His assistant pointed out, years later, that the computer shown on the cover was a sculpture. Sculptures take quite a while to create--Time had decided way in advance that the computer itself was getting that honor. Jobs was never in the running, and he couldn't blame it on the article or the Lisa situation.

I really enjoyed the movie.  It has inspired me to read the biography. I'd like to know if the engineer really paid for Lisa's first semester at Harvard. I thought that he hadn't worked for Apple for years at that point, but I'm probably wrong.  I liked Kate Winslet too, though her Polish accent did go in and out.

Really good movie.  The pacing was great, and didn't feel to rushed or dizzy, like other Aaron Sorkin projects.  Michael Fassbender was really good as Jobs, and I appreciated that they kept him true to his character, a real asshole.  In the movie you could understand him a little better even I didn't agree with him.

Kate Winslet for me was the standout here.  Her portrayal of Joanna Hoffman was just mesmerizing.  She really was the glue that held the movie and Jobs together.  I hope she gets recognized during awards season.

Seth Rogen was good as Wozniak and I thought he stepped it up in the last confrontation.  Jeff Daniels was really good as always.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just watched this and thought it was brilliant! Various Sorkin ticks crept in from time to time, but on the whole I think he rather restrained himself. Acting was uniformly excellent. Fassbender looks nothing like Jobs, after a few minutes I didn't care. And that was loads of complex, rapid fast dialogue they all had to deliver, particularly Winslet and Fassbender, yet they pulled it off. And IMO pulled it off in a way that gave it snap and rhythm and conveyed the different relationships between the characters.

Generally found the Lisa arc well done, it didn't fall into kitsch and provided crucial insigths into Jobs. The staginess didn't bother me for the most part, only in the last third it sometimes bordered on too self-conscious. And I think I would have preferred an even more ambivalent ending. They mostly stayed true to portraying Jobs as brilliant, cold, ruthless and all-around asshole, while still making clear why some of the people around him kept caring about him or even loving him. And his good points were never used as excuses for his hurtful behaviour. The last few minutes started flirting with some sort of redemption arc, and I don't think that was needed or rang true. At least not in the pat way it was presented. I think that the script didn't go overboard in that direction and Fassbender kept it contained with his performance ensured that it didn't bother me too much and didn't spoil the ending for me anyway.

Edited by katha

Just saw it and Michael Fassbender and  Kate Winslet deserved their Oscar nominations, especially Kate Winslet. I love her portrayal of Joanna Hoffman. Jeff Daniels was another standout as John Scully and I know some people here hate Seth Rogen but I thought he did a great job as Wozniak. Also like the actresses who played Steve's daughter Lisa. I didn't know until reading Outlaw Vern's review that 19 year old Lisa was Bebe  from Kill Bill Vol. 2! The dialogue and confrontation scenes really what I like best about Aaron Sorkin and the direction by Danny Boyle was terrific. 

• Love 2

Michael Fassbender was excellent in this, I enjoyed his work before but now I'm a fan.

And I thought 19  year old Lisa looked super familiar, just couldn't place her. Thanks!

Loved the talkiness, loved the running joke of the Andys. "Which one?"

• Love 2

I just watched this.  It was a very well done and unique screenplay.  It didn't try to tell the whole story of Steve Jobs and Apple.  The focus on the 3 lauches and how much he is alike and how much he has changed between the 3 was a great storytelling technique. 

I actually didn't know it was an Aaron Sorkin written story but though it seemed very much like his work after I watched it.  Makes sense he did it. 

Didn't recognize Kate Winslett at all.  Loved Seth Rogen as Wozniak in a serious role for him for once. 

I agree Fassenbender looks nothing like Jobs.  Until the last part, when he sported the black turtleneck and they aged him a bit.  Then he did somehow, but not in the others.  Didn't detract too much though.

• Love 1

Just saw it.  I guess it was a given that I would enjoy it as I like anything Aaron Sorkin does.

This was great.  Totally blew me away that Kate Winslet was Joanna.  I knew she was in the film and about half way through of watching it and thinking I hadn't seen her, I finally peeked into IMDB to see what character she was.  I was shocked.  What a performance.

Seth Rogan as Woz, ha!

To me, the best line ... "I'm poorly made" ... deep meaning there.  

• Love 3