Type keyword(s) to search

Darren Criss/Blaine Anderson

moving this from the spoiler thread:

but music business professionals have decided otherwise.

Ooh!  I am one of those!  And I'd be completely shocked if either one of these guys ever had a sustainable music career.  Fortunately for Colfer, from what I can tell he has no interest in one.

ps.  I can't tell you the amount of restraint it took not to title this thread "Darren Criss: Coming Out as Straight."  Which I think is the point early on when I went from indifference to irritation [it continued to evolve from there.]

• Love 1

As proof of Darren Criss' unlimited potential as not just a recording star for the ages, but an up and coming movie star as well, I will quote from the NY Times review of 'Girl Most Likely':  ...but mostly she registers as a classically cartoonish mother, one nesting with a kooky male threesome that includes her sweetly oddball son, Ralph (Christopher Fitzgerald), a lover, the Bosche (Matt Dillon), and a roomer, Lee (Darren Criss).

One assumes there is nothing but for Mr. Criss to sit back and wait for more movie offers to come pouring in.

(edited)

I like Darren just fine. He rambles a lot and can be incredibly long-winded which is why I avoid his interviews like the plague but I think some of the dislike and hate he gets is extremely over the top. He is certainly no great thespian but I think somewhere along the way the lines between Blaine Anderson and Darren Criss became very blurred. I remember how some people tried to make him into a bad guy when it looked like he was going to keep his GMA appearance to promote that film he was in, a few days after Cory's passing. It was funny because I thought the person who looked really bad were the ones judging him because the criticisms were so obvious and calculated.

And I remember thinking "wow, even something as horrible as Cory's death some use as an opportunity to sell the Darren Criss is the worse person in the world" meme. The other thing I like about Darren is that I think with a few choice comments here and there he's made it clear that he knows how crappy a character the writers have turned Blaine into. But it's a job and the show has given him a lot and he's not going to go around bad mouthing it and ultimately it is what it is. But he's definitely one I'm interested in reading an honest interview from, years after the show is long over. 

But like I said, I truly think a lot of the criticisms he gets is over the top. Honestly, the whole Darren versus Chris and Blaine vs. Kurt is one of the many reasons I have become incredibly turned off by the fandom as much as, if not more than the show itself. I feel like rather than direct the criticisms where it really needs to be and that's the shit-tastic writers who keep writing shitty material, a lot of their shitty choices and decisions somehow get transferred onto the actors. It's also interesting that Darren wrote what was like a love letter to his fans right before The Breakup aired and I always thought it was because he saw the writing on the wall for his character and knew there was no coming back from that and it really has been downhill ever since. Still, for the most part I find Darren inoffensive. I do think he's handsome and has a great charming quality about him. As an actor he's not the greatest, but certainly not the worse I've seen and I love his voice. Yes he's no belter but what he does, he does very well in my opinion.

eta: Also, I find all the little comments about his sleeping with Ryan Murphy to be disgusting and all kinds of offensive and unnecessary.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
(edited)

Still, for the most part I find Darren inoffensive

I'm not offended by Criss either.  In fact, if you list every single man between the ages of 25 and 32 who currently appears on a television show, Criss is one of them.

I would not agree that finding his acting skills lacking is some kind of "over the top" criticism.  As for other behaviors of his that have been criticized (I'm not really familiar with them--TWoP is the only other board I've read about Glee, and I don't think anything but his performances on the show are discussed there), I think people in the public eye these days get lambasted by someone for just about every thing they do or say or seem to be doing or saying or are rumored to be doing or saying.  I don't feel like Criss is singled out any more than any other television performer.  In fact, I don't think Criss registers outside of the Glee fandom--and whatever that Harry Potter thing he did before Glee. 

Edited by Myrna123
(edited)

As proof of Darren Criss' unlimited potential as not just a recording star for the ages, but an up and coming movie star as well, I will quote from the NY Times review of 'Girl Most Likely': ...but mostly she registers as a classically cartoonish mother, one nesting with a kooky male threesome that includes her sweetly oddball son, Ralph (Christopher Fitzgerald), a lover, the Bosche (Matt Dillon), and a roomer, Lee (Darren Criss).

One assumes there is nothing but for Mr. Criss to sit back and wait for more movie offers to come pouring in.

Try these reviews:

http://www.wetpaint.com/glee/articles/did-darren-criss-succeed-in-his-opening-night-on-broadway-the-reviews-are-in

http://exeuntmagazine.com/reviews/how-to-succeed-in-business-without-really-trying/

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/darren-criss-crosses-tv-glee-bway-succeed-article-1.1000607?localLinksEnabled=false

For those who might laugh at the contribution of all the Gleeks in the audience, check this out:

"I can only guess but I'd swear that every Barbra Streisand fan in existence showed up via dog-sled, skis, and snowshoes for the opening night of the new musical, “Funny Girl” last night at the Shubert [in Boston]....

...Like Miss Garland, Miss Streisand is not without her cult of worshippers and they cheered and whistled at her every move last night. One might have concluded that the producers would have been better off to sell the costumes and scenery, disband the supporting players, and give the audience a three hour concert of Miss Streisand."

Source: http://barbra-archives.com/live/60s/funny_girl_broadway_2.html

"I Believe in You", sang Darren Criss live, in a major Broadway musical revival.

"Woof, woof", said Robodog, voiced by the inimitable Chris Colfer, the greatest toy dog impersonator in the history of animated movies, in his always endearing falsetto.

Which of these two is more likely to appear onscreen in a movie?

Edited by Higgs
(edited)

While I cannot deny a certain small delight in the vicious civil war between Chris and Darren stans, someone has to take a stand for truth and fairness. Now I might consider Darren to be a bland mediocrity as a singer, but it is he, and never Chris, who has performed, by invitation, on multiple and significant non-Glee occasions. It is he, and never Chris, who has been given the support of promoters to tour and record. So a person is free to wax eloquent over Chris' glorious high notes and manly tenor, but music business professionals have decided otherwise.

But ah, say so many, it is surely a proven fact that Chris is the far superior thespian, one who can signal the most profound emotions with the slightest twitch. Well, let's put aside the fact that it was Darren who has already spent several weeks as the star of a Broadway musical and had a decent supporting role as a human being in a Hollywood movie that didn't require his financial support, and that Chris has never done any such thing. Instead, let's watch the scene in the S2 finale, when Blaine debriefs Kurt regarding ND's Nationals and The Finchel Kiss, and then tells him he loves him. And how did Kurt feel about that? Chris had to put out a definitive statement (yes, the love was requited, whew!) to quell the resultant debate among his own fans. 'Twas not a good sign of his emotive powers, to say the least. So, while Chris does a respectable put-upon-gay, conveying homoerotic desire may not be his strong point, which makes the likes of "Looking" beyond his reach. His high-pitched speaking voice will be a great fit for a robodog, but if anyone wants to see a sublime performance (by a still unknown actor) of a gay teen in love, forget Glee and Netflix "This Boy's Life" (1993, DiCaprio, De Niro, Barkin).

Darren's recognition as a perfomer does exist, as you pointed out, just like Chris' abilities as an actor were also previously recognized, not just by the audience, but through Emmy noms and Golden Globes win, plus generally favorable reviews from TV critics when it comes to his work on Glee. Both guys have their domain of predilection, but I don't think that it is far fetched to say that, as an actor, Darren hasn't displayed the versatility and capability that Cory, Lea, Naya or Chris did. 

Darren Criss is a good performer, but as an actor, he hasn't displayed any award-worthy material. Underlining Darren's limitations as an actor does not disminish his qualities as a singer, but these are two different beasts.

Most of the time I have difficulties watching his scenes because I find his lines delivery flat, forced or awful in some cases. I haven't seen lots of subtelty in choices, and apart from "heart eyes" and "triangle-eyebrows-of-despair-and-longing" I haven't seen him use lot of different facial expressions. I really don't think Darren would have ever been considered as an actor if he looked like JewFro, but iwe are leaving in times of shallowness, and I won't fault him for that, many other actors are given parts only based on looks but not really acting talent. Now the show being Glee and Darren being a good singer, I get his casting, but acting still isn't his forte.

And yes, he was provided with crappy writing, but Darren never showed he had what it takes to elevate the material or keep his character consistent, something the four I named above could do (especially Cory), and god know they wre also handed some rubbish. So seeing Blaine so proeminently featured in S4 and S5 while the acting is just so-so did bug, since I felt this screentime could have been devoted to Finn + NY Trio who do convince me when they act, and the prospect of seeing more of this don't appeal, like, at all. 

Darren is someone I really don't care about outside of Blaine, I don't even know his whereabouts and wish him all the luck in his singing career, I only judge him on his acting.

Edited by Coxfires
(edited)
I would not agree that finding his acting skills lacking is some kind of "over the top" criticism.

That's not what I was referring to as over the top and I stated that it was some, not all, of the comments and reactions to him that I found over the top. Also the comments about it not being very classy of him to go on GMA after Cory passed and the side comments about his obviously sleeping with Ryan Murphy have been posted at TWOP. And yes, I found both of these to be over the top, not to mention finding the latter offensive. So no, I'm not referring to someone saying Darren Criss is a crappy actor when I say that I think some of the hate and reactions he gets is over the top.

keep his character consistent

YMMV but I do think a significant part of that falls on the writers who haven't been consistent with the character. Not to mention that I honestly don't think the writers have ever figured out who the hell Blaine is. For all the inconsistencies, crappy writing, I do think the writers have a good sense of who Kurt, Rachel, even Santana are and who Finn was. With Blaine though I truly don't think the writers ever thought beyond "teenage gay dream" when the character first came on and since then it's just been a matter of throwing out stuff here and there. Like I said, I don't think Darren is an amazing actor by any stretch of the imagination but I do place a lot of Blaine's inconsistencies and his not truly being a fully realized character on the failings of the writers. YMMV of course. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

"I Believe in You", sang Darren Criss live, in a major Broadway musical revival.

I believe you're using the word "sang" loosely here.  Darren Criss oozes mediocrity.  I give him 10 years before we see his infomercials for whatever miracle drug is curing baldness at the time.  

(edited)

There is one aspect of acting, in addition to the expression of romantic love, in which Darren has proved superior to Chris: comedy. For me, a comedic actor is one who can get you to laugh at their own character. On Seinfeld, it was the portrayers of George, Elaine, and Kramer. On Glee, it's Jane, Lea, Iqbal, Jessalyn, and many others, but not Naya or Chris. The latter two often read lines that get laughs at the expense of other characters, but who has ever laughed AT Santana or Kurt, as I almost always do AT Sue when she's insulting someone? Laughed AT Blaine? I have. Often. And that's even with the mute on, as it usually is when he's onscreen.

Edited by Higgs
(edited)

I've laughed at Darren's over the top awful line readings. Does that count?

Not that I agree with the distinction between laughing with and laughing at. I laugh when Kurt and Santana get great lines partly because of their hilarious line readings and the expressions that go along with them. And there were times the characters were humiliated -- I laughed at Santana when she attempted to fight Zizes and at Kurt when he slipped on Puck's buttered floor.

I've never found the character of Blaine to be remotely funny. It was one of my issues with him from the start. I think the only times he's made me chuckle at all are some of his "wtf?" reaction shots to other characters.

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 4
Laughed AT Blaine? I have. Often.

I've laughed AROUND Blaine.  And ABOVE Blaine.  I've laughed OVER him and THROUGH him.  One time I even laughed BETWEEN him, but, alas, I have not laughed AT him.

• Love 5
(edited)

Not that I agree with the distinction between laughing with and laughing at. I laugh when Kurt and Santana get great lines partly because of their hilarious line readings and the expressions that go along with them. And there were times the character were humiliated -- I laughed at Santana when she attempted to fight Zizes and at Kurt when he slipped on Puck's buttered floor.

The distinction between "at" and "with" is that the latter doesn't require skilled acting when there's great writing (see Seinfeld, Jerry), while the former demands great acting regardless of the writing. The two examples cited for Naya and Chris were tellingly referring to physical actions, only, and relied on the humor inherent in Zizes' body and persona and in the equivalence of the very old banana peel trope.

The clue to Darren's shortcomings lie not in his OTT line readings, which are quite intentional (and very different from when we first met him at Dalton), but in the clothes and hairdos they feel the need force on him to buttress the comedy. (See also, tracksuits, Sue.)

Edited by Higgs

There are plenty of moments were Kurt made me genuinely laugh, and including AT him, with his ridiculous plan to disrupt the library as a mean to get in the Top Glist or him being drunk and rambling on Bambi or singing Mellencamp; I did laugh at Santana getting her ass handed to her by Zizes, her searching the loft for proofs against Brody, or her OTT reactions in the recent "Gloria".

Just because Darren is less bad at comedy doesn't mean he excels in it, and I certainly agree with the posters above that laughing at is very different from laughing with. There were only two times he made me smile, it was his "No more candles" and "Britney, what are you doing?" when she was doing her "voice over", and that wasn't laughing, so no, Darren doesn't surpass any of the other actors when it comes to comedy.

relied on the humor inherent in Zizes' body

yikes.

I don't know why critiques of Darren always end up dragging Chris Colfer in as collateral damage.  I don't have a horse in either race, nor have I ever needed to stand Criss next to anyone else to find his acting wanting.  I think Jenna's a terrible actor, too, but the two have nothing to do with each other.  It just makes it that much more painful when they're the only two people in a scene.

• Love 3

I don't know why critiques of Darren always end up dragging Chris Colfer in as collateral damage.

I think there's some kind of assumption that one can only find fault with Darren Criss if they are a "stan" of Colfer, just like one can only criticize Colfer because they stan for Criss.  The Better Whatever Olympics prevail unless, I guess, the performance vehicle is a One-Person and One-Person-Only show.

Wow, Darren Criss is a better comedy actor than Chris Colfer?? OK...YMM definitely V.

I do find DC's reaction shots at times to be amusing, but I can say the same for CC's...and more often. Other than that, it's true I find Blaine humorous at times, but for all of the WRONG reasons.

(Yes, it does seem a much more fitting thread title might be "Criss vs. Chris".)

"No more candles" was pretty much perfect.

• Love 1

I don't know why critiques of Darren always end up dragging Chris Colfer in as collateral damage.

In general, a statement that describes quality demands an answer to: "Compared to what/whom?" Chris and Darren play a couple of the same gender, age, and with nearly the same emotional feelings for each other (currently, but not always), in what is now the only pivotal romantic relationship on the show. Thus comparisons between their acting skills are fairer and more significant than those between any other two performers. To reduce it to its simplest and most basic element, which actor has best conveyed their character's supposed feelings towards the other? Given that they're probably endgame in a major SL, all the rest they do is filler.
  • Love 1
To reduce it to its simplest and most basic element, which actor has best conveyed their character's supposed feelings towards the other?

I do not agree with this statement at all, but anyway, even if it were true, it is still no proof at all. As stated, it is a basic reduction, and if anything, it just proves that Darren can be acceptable at one thing only. No versatility, no layers, no handling of multiple emotions, just making heart eyes: yes, that is average acting at best, not even remotely good.

• Love 3
(edited)

IMO, it's as simple as this - Blaine's character was more or less created for Kurt. Now whether that was just to be his gay wise friend/yoda and it changed to the boyfriend or whether the latter was always the plan, the point is that's what the character was created for. And as such, prior to S4, Blaine actually had no storylines that didn't involve Kurt (save for Big Brother I guess) and most of his scenes were with Kurt which means that's pretty much who Darren worked with. And because of that you had your factions develop - Klaine fans, people who hated Klaine but loved Darren/Blaine, people who hated Klaine but loved Kurt/Chris and I guess people who just didn't care at all but they don't count since by their very nature they avoid that stuff. 

And so the comparisons started and when the comparisons started, so did the resentments and criticisms and taking of sides. The better boyfriend olympics started all the way back in S3, long before The Breakup ever happened and the infamous cheating plot. It was all about how much Kurt wasn't appreciated, how Blaine was a showboat who got everything, how Kurt deserved better. And on the flipside it was how Blaine had no identity other than Kurt, the only storylines he had were about Kurt, etc. And when that started, it quickly led to Darren is a weak and annoying scene partner who is not worthy of the Golden Globe talents of Chris Colfer and then the other side countered that Chris Colfer hated Darren Criss and was doing all he could behind the scenes to torpedo Klaine.

And then the cheating and The Breakup happened and it all went to shit and hasn't come back since. The better boyfriend olympics became vicious and every comment about Blaine became about being a greasy facebook fucker and how Kurt was being marginalized, was too good for that greasy facebook fucker and how abusive and awful Blaine is/was, etc. etc. Honestly, like I said, this is why I sometimes feel like I find the fandom shit more annoying than the crappy writing on the show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
(edited)

I've laughed at Darren's over the top awful line readings. Does that count?

Considering that each scene may have had multiple takes over extended periods, and that directors had major influences, first on the performance, and ultimately on the selection and editing of cuts, what if:

1. It was the show's INTENTION that you laugh at exactly, and only, the moments you did.

2. Darren was given those ridiculous clothes and styles to deliberately enhance his absurdity and make virtually everything he does seem OTT.

3. Homophobia, in all its meanings, benign and dangerous, was being consciously exploited.

4. Some smart-ass writer was taking a not-so-secret delight in expressing contempt for the audience.

So, yes, your laughter counts, but it's not entirely clear as for what. Judgment of any performance rests on three questions:

1. What was the intention?

2. Was it legitimate?

3. How well did it succeed in fulfilling its purpose?

Q #1 must be answered before rendering a verdict on any actor's ability, but not before I can decide to FF all songs and speeches by K/B unless you-know-who is a major participant.

Edited by Higgs
Q #1 must be answered before rendering a verdict on any actor's ability

Thank heavens there's someone here to tell us what to do before we are allowed to render a verdict on *any* actor's ability.  I started just the other day to render a verdict on an extra's ability to convincingly cross the street in a scene, but I hadn't answered Q#1 first.  Disaster narrowly averted to be sure.

• Love 4
(edited)

I knew the intention with Blaine's OTT reaction to Sam and Tina kissing and then his running down the hall like a crazy person was to get me to laugh.  But I'm not sure it mattered.   

Sometimes something is funny just because it is, and I can't explain it.  Or not.  I also think if you have to overly explain the humor of something, it usually means it's not as funny as it's suppose to be.

But anyways, I really do think Darren would be better served if Blaine was still the older, more mature  guy who could really speak from his experience as when he first started.  (And not dissimilar from what Adam Lambert is playing.)    I think that's more his wheelhouse, but the more juvenile, Blam, high school antics did him no favors.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
(edited)
In general, a statement that describes quality demands an answer to: "Compared to what/whom?"

Yeah, but when I say I think he's a mediocre actor I'm comparing him to the known world of actors, not Chris Colfer.  

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 3
(edited)

The underlying question is whether Darren, or any actor on Glee, can go on to bigger and better things, the way Mila Kunis, say, did after her comedy show. It's not only not fair to compare Darren to the "known world of actors", even if that world is restricted to older teens on TV sitcoms, because of the many significant differences that affect perceptions of performance, it's not even fair to compare him to Colfer, in general, because of the very different purposes they've served on the show. What I believe is fair is to compare him to Colfer in the one aspect where both are being required to do almost the exact same thing in the exact same environment: to seriously express all the feelings that arise in a romantic relationship. Because it's the most universal element in drama of all genres, it at least provides a grounded starting point for predictions of showbiz success.

Edited by Higgs

Considering that each scene may have had multiple takes over extended periods, and that directors had major influences, first on the performance, and ultimately on the selection and editing of cuts....

Did you use your magic formula before you came to this conclusion?

Instead, let's watch the scene in the S2 finale, when Blaine debriefs Kurt regarding ND's Nationals and The Finchel Kiss, and then tells him he loves him. And how did Kurt feel about that? Chris had to put out a definitive statement (yes, the love was requited, whew!) to quell the resultant debate among his own fans. 'Twas not a good sign of his emotive powers, to say the least.

Some very balanced and lucid posts thruthaboutluv; it is true that these debates are often based on opinions stated as fact. For example the alleged consensus that CC is the bestest most subtlelest actor on TV and DC one of the worstest (I don't agree with either). It is a trend of the times (and of the Internet) that "discussions" tend to drift into absolute positions, based on irreductible antinomy. Whereas the spectrum of opinions is most often rather varied; for example, reviews of Girl Most Likely I read were frequently more positive than the single one which was quoted initially. Drawing a sweeping conclusion from a single review as to how a performance was perceived is at best a risky proposition.

There is no absolute truth in statements like "Darren can be acceptable at one thing only", "the versatility and capability that Cory, Lea, Naya or Chris did", "No versatility, no layers, no handling of multiple emotions", "Darren Criss oozes mediocrity", "Jenna's a terrible actor" or to the effect that CC as Kurt is mostly a limited and uninteresting actor; they are all matters of personal appreciation and judgement. Myself I think that CC and DC are both equally adequate TV actors, well-suited for what is required of them on this show, with different approaches and performing styles that appeal differently. I have never been taken with the alleged superiority of CC's "acting choices". I know he is supposed to be capable of expressing a thousand nuances with the mere flick of a nose hair, but  he generally does not stand out to me as an actor. Others do find his work appealing, and that is quite fine.

It is also true that the debate tends to get polarised and drift into pointless one-upmanship, leading to pseudo arguments like this obsession with baldness, which I usually take as a sign that the poster has reached the equivalent of a Glee Godwin point.

I tend to read all posts with implicit "I think" or "I believe" sprinkled here and there, even though that might not have been the writer's intention.

OK...YMM definitely V.

Welcome to the real world of diversity in opinions.

Thank heavens there's someone here to tell us what to do before we are allowed to render a verdict on *any* actor's ability. 

I think we are all free to render any verdict we want. But I hope we don't get into the habit of reaching for the smelling salts when someone dares to express a divergent opinion, as Higgs is doing.

I'd be completely shocked if either one of these guys ever had a sustainable music career.

That's a rather peremptory statement. I think on the contrary that some of them might very well find a career in music, just not as big pop stars. There are enough specialised markets and niche labels to accommodate singers like AR or DC in répertoires that favour them and which command smaller audiences; many singers make a respectable career filling up medium-sized venues, just not the big arenas like a Beiber or a Gaga can do.

Considering that each scene may have had multiple takes over extended periods, and that directors had major influences, first on the performance, and ultimately on the selection and editing of cuts....

Did you use your magic formula before you came to this conclusion?

Actually there is no magic formula involved since this looks to me like simply a factual description of how TV shows or movies are put together. However, any conclusions drawn from that premise would most probably quickly become a matter of interpretation and opinion.

• Love 2
That's a rather peremptory statement. I think on the contrary that some of them might very well find a career in music, just not as big pop stars. There are enough specialised markets and niche labels to accommodate singers like AR or DC in répertoires that favour them and which command smaller audiences; many singers make a respectable career filling up medium-sized venues, just not the big arenas like a Beiber or a Gaga can do.

Yeah, I know.  I work in the music industry, and most working musicians are middle class at best.  I still wouldn't anticipate that as a sustainable career choice for Darren Criss.  I think his songs are weak and his voice is weak.  But I don't know that he has any intention of pursuing that anyways.

I think we are all free to render any verdict we want. But I hope we don't get into the habit of reaching for the smelling salts when someone dares to express a divergent opinion, as Higgs is doing.

I hope we don't get into the habit of insisting to people that their opinions must be filtered through some kind of arbitrary process before they can be voiced which is what I was commenting on.  There are, like, six of us here right now, so I'm not sure how any opinion can be considered "divergent" at this point. 

Well since he's been working on a solo album for a while, released an EP several years ago, had a sold out concert tour last summer, I think it's a fair assumption that he's working on a career in music. And I believe that he has said that he considers himself a musician first and foremost. 

I don't necessarily think he's the most thrilling actor out there, but he's far from the worst. He's a nice affable guy who seems to go out of his way for his fans. 

I tend to read all posts with implicit "I think" or "I believe" sprinkled here and there, even though that might not have been the writer's intention.

I think that's a safe practice, though. Sometimes on discussion forums, it can seem like people are stating opinions as fact, but I don't think that's always intentional. In any case, there's nothing wrong with having a differing opinion and with arguing that opinion. We're pretty laid-back here. If there's ever a post that you think crosses the line (into attacking a poster instead of debating their statements), just report it and I or one of the other mods will take a look. But so far, so good here.

Also, thanks for splitting off into a Darren Criss thread! I appreciate it. Feel free to start more threads for anything Glee-related that you'd like to discuss.

Welcome to the real world of diversity in opinions.

Don't need the welcome--been living in the real world for quite some time--but thanks anyway.

I think it's fairly safe to say everyone is expressing their opinions here.

I liked DC/Blaine in this new episode. I think being out of McKinley has already vastly helped. But please, no more Alpha Big Dog Blaine. LOL

(edited)
There is no absolute truth in statements like "Darren can be acceptable at one thing only", "the versatility and capability that Cory, Lea, Naya or Chris did", "No versatility, no layers, no handling of multiple emotions",

This statement that I made, by prefacing them with "I disagree" and thus saying that it was my own opinion, was to answer on an equal affirmation of absolute truth  that Darren was a superior actor because he could convey one emotion better than one other actor. Do I think that an actor can't be claimed superior to another based on his mastering of one single emotion? Yes, I do, and I think that I am just as entitled as anyone to express what my view on acting is here, since I consider that being able to portray convincibly different states of mind through body language, lines delivery and facial expressions, and not only one dimension, is what makes you a good actor. Debating or attacking an argument is different from attacking the poster, and these forums are made to debate opinions without going postal on the people making them, and to that regard, my post was written within its range.

I don't care about any DC vs CC pseudo-war, I just express my disagreement with a statement that Darren is a good actor. Comparing Darren to the likes of the four I cited was to remain within the context of Glee, but there are lots of actors of the same age as Darren, or even younger, that I find far better, like the kids from Game of Thrones.

Darren as a person don't bother me the least, I do hope he'll find success in his musical career, but as far as acting goes, I'd rather not see him on my screen, because he makes me cringe more often than not.

Edited by Coxfires
YMMV but I do think a significant part of that falls on the writers who haven't been consistent with the character

To be fair, TPTB haven't been consistent with any of the characters!

Regarding DC, I honestly think he consistently gives 100% to his performance, and does his genuine best with the material he is given. As with many actors, I do think he tends to up his game considerably when he's with either a better actor, or someone he has genuine chemistry with. (Personally, I'm not sure where they're going with the Klaine/Blam storylines, but I think a change of pace would definitely be good.)

Is Darren the best actor on the show? Of course not. But he's not terrible, and in my book, his earnestness makes up for that (at least in part), and we've been saddled with far worse actors over the 5 season of this show.

That said, Darren's biggest asset is definitely his charisma. Having seen him perform, I can safely say he veritably oozes charisma, and the small screen doesn't really do justice to him. Also, he seems exceedingly humble; I've yet to hear him say a bad word about any of his co-stars, or the atrocious writing of this show. 

And of course, I still adore his voice; I don't normally buy much of the Glee music, but if his name's attached to it, I'm exponentially more likely to.

I definitely think he tries his genuine best.  Unfortunately for me that often falls laughably short, as I found it in that scene with Adam Lambert.  With the anguish faces.  Yikes.  You could in part blame the directors, who obviously need to remind him more he's not on stage and the camera is a couple of feet from those big faces he's pulling.  Stage acting is really different from tv acting, and lots of people fail to make that transition I'm sure.  I think he's better in scenes where you can't see him trying so hard.  I liked the "Downtown" number, I thought he was fine in that.

• Love 1

Yeah, I know.  I work in the music industry, and most working musicians are middle class at best.  I still wouldn't anticipate that as a sustainable career choice for Darren Criss.  I think his songs are weak and his voice is weak.  But I don't know that he has any intention of pursuing that anyways.

Since "music industry" covers a very wide swath of operations and individuals, professional opinions, personal tastes, and even business judgements or decisions regarding a specific performer's possible future in the business can also be very varied and contradictory.

That being said, we indeed do not know what career choices he or any other member of the cast will make once Glee goes off the air; ShadowDenizen mentioned some past stated intentions from DC, but after being exposed to a few different options, some of those cast members might veer into a direction they had not envisioned initially.

As for his acting, I can only say that in my personal appreciation it is amply suited to the requirements of the show and the scripts. It is certainly not cringe inducing as was the case with what we had to endure from the actors portraying Brittany or Puck to mention only two examples.

I liked Darren Criss when they first put him on the show, but he was much better in small doses. Once they put him front and center I started disliking him pretty fast. It didn't help that once they moved Kurt & Rachel to NY, and the rest of the old cast off screen, he was often sharing the screen with other actors that I don't like that well.

However, he will always have a soft place in my heart for introducing me to A Very Potter Musical. He wasn't very good in it, but I loved Voldemort & Malfoy.

Darren isn't the worst actor on the show. He's done some good work, now and then. One example would be the scene in the auditorium where Kurt and Blaine make up after the infamous parked car groping incident. But he's also done some absolutely atrocious over-acting. Most of the time he's mediocre. Not terrible, just not complex or layered, or deep. He's a little demon of energy performing live, much better on the stage at Manchester and in London during Glee Live than anything he's done on Glee the show. 

• Love 1
He's a little demon of energy performing live, much better on the stage at Manchester and in London during Glee Live than anything he's done on Glee the show.

Utterly agree with this, having seen him live a number of times.

"Woof, woof", said Robodog, voiced by the inimitable Chris Colfer, the greatest toy dog impersonator in the history of animated movies, in his always endearing falsetto.

Which of these two is more likely to appear onscreen in a movie?

Given that Chris is now signed for the lead in a film set to start production this summer, we have our answer.

• Love 2
(edited)

Actually they both already have. It's not a contest.

Yeah sadly I think that ship sailed a VERY long time ago. Do what I do...just ignore all of it. 

like I don't have enough room in my cold black heart to make fun of both. Can't I just think they're both twerps in their own special ways? :(

lmao...that's hilarious.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Seriously. It makes people like me who find them BOTH overrated feeling really left out. I feel like if I say something negative about one of them, that person's fans will wrongly assume that I'm a fan of the other, like I don't have enough room in my cold black heart to make fun of both. Can't I just think they're both twerps in their own special ways? :(
  • Love 2

I find the need for some fans to pit these two against each other fascinating, tbh. I don't really see it occuring between any other actors on the show. Not even Naya and Lea get this treatment. I wonder what makes Darren and Chris different?

(edited)

I find the need for some fans to pit these two against each other fascinating, tbh. I don't really see it occuring between any other actors on the show. Not even Naya and Lea get this treatment. I wonder what makes Darren and Chris different?

I'm hard-pressed to think of any ensemble show aimed at younger viewers that doesn't descend into factions of actors' fans counting screen time, perceived slights, favoritism, etc.

Season one it seems like there was a fair amount of Quinn/Diana Agron fans pitted against Rachel/Lea. (And also a fair amount who knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Lea and Diana were involved in a clandestine affair, just like with Chris and Darren).

Edited by Myrna123