Type keyword(s) to search

Darren Criss/Blaine Anderson

The only public singing Chris has done since Glee began was on the tour, where his rendition of IWTHYH, no longer supported by the miracles of studio electronics and stripped of the emotional prop of a comatose father, fell flatter than his notes and garnered by far the worst reviews by professional critics at major newspapers. (If anyone asks, I will be more, much more, than glad to post them.)

I'm curious, so sure. To be fair to Chris though, I think he sees himself as an actor who sings, rather than a singer who acts. 

We'll see how many performance opportunities come Darren's way once Glee ends. Because I haven't heard of any of these opportunities translate (until now) into credible job prospects after Glee. In fact, Darren remains conspicuous as one of the few cast members without anything lined up.

I don't think Darren's career will die just because he doesn't have anything publicly lined up at the moment. Do I think he's going to be a huge deal? No, but I don't think 90% of the cast will be either. Also, talent is not necessarily an indicator of success. Iggy Azelea is terrible, but huge. I think it'll come down much more to luck, and an advantage Darren has over Chris is that Chris is at risk of being typecast as the gay guy (something a lot of gay actors are at risk for). I feel like especially because Kurt was such a big deal for Glee, people are probably going to have more difficultly thinking of Chris as something other than "gay guy from Glee". It sucks, but it's true. Even if one is more talented than the other, Darren has a wider appeal and doesn't have to combat the homophobia in Hollywood as Chris does. 

• Love 2

It's not like Darren Criss and Chris Colfer are going to be auditioning for the same part or anything so I'm not sure the Fame and Fortune Olympics are going to play out in a winner-take-all way. Personally, I'll never know what becomes of Darren because I'm not in his demographic and the chance of my being exposed to whatever he does next is nonexistent.

• Love 1

I don't think Darren's career will die just because he doesn't have anything publicly lined up at the moment. Do I think he's going to be a huge deal? No, but I don't think 90% of the cast will be either. Also, talent is not necessarily an indicator of success. Iggy Azelea is terrible, but huge. I think it'll come down much more to luck, and an advantage Darren has over Chris is that Chris is at risk of being typecast as the gay guy (something a lot of gay actors are at risk for). I feel like especially because Kurt was such a big deal for Glee, people are probably going to have more difficultly thinking of Chris as something other than "gay guy from Glee". It sucks, but it's true. Even if one is more talented than the other, Darren has a wider appeal and doesn't have to combat the homophobia in Hollywood as Chris does. 

Darren also has a big disadvantage - he's going to be one of a few hundred guys just like him in Hollywood vying for the same parts. And I don't think he's got the acting chops or anything really distinctive about his performance abilities that's going to make him stand apart from the rest of the pack.

And if Darren's appeal is so wide, then why did Columbia shelve his album? Why couldn't he win a PCA the year when he had multiple nominations? Why wouldn't his own employers submit him for Emmy consideration? If it weren't for the fact that Darren lucked out and got cast to act opposite Chris (and make no mistake... that was a huge thing for him to come in to play the love interest of one of the most popular characters on Glee, as well as working opposite one of its most respected actors), I highly doubt that Darren would have gotten a fraction of the attention that he received.

Again... a lot is going to be determined in the coming months and years as whatever benefit Darren got from playing a popular character on Glee fades and he needs to start building his post-Glee career. So far, I don't see anything major coming down the pike for him.

• Love 1

An open letter to all of AADarren Criss' fans who have had the tenacity and courage to stick it out against the slings and arrows of undeserved outrage

You're a hoot!  Let it be know the Darren CrissStan Revolution against his phantom oppressors started here and now. I'm looking forward to your weekly/daily calls to arms to ensure Darren's once-in-a-lifetime true-triple-threat talent, upstanding personality, and let's not forget intergalactic sex appeal, is never questioned on this forum, since how come the forum allows criticism, huh? 

When it comes to acting, the greatest failure on Glee, based on an objective analysis of posts by the commentariat, was the abject inability of Chris Colfer, in a season finale with everything on the line to set up the rest of the series, regarding what is now the main romantic relationship on the show, to convince his own fans about his character's unambiguous feelings towards your man's character, one "Blaine Anderson", as I am told he is named

There's nothing more convincing me of Darren's talent than criticising another actor. I'm sure you can calculate the relevance factor here.

But one should be so lucky to have one presumed failed scene for 6 years worth of TV work. That's what success rate, statistical whizzes here, 99.99% ? Colfer and North Korea elections holding the same success rate, I'm moved to tears

On 2/28, Lea, Darren, Chord, Becca, and Alex will perform at the Family Equality Council's 11th Annual Los Angeles Awards Dinner, a venue that one would imagine would be a natural for Chris. But, unlike virtually all the others in the Glee cast, Chris has NEVER performed at ANY outside event, whereas Darren has done so on multiple occasions, was on a TV special honoring Sondheim, starred in a Broadway musical, and did a concert tour. The only public singing Chris has done since Glee began was on the tour, where his rendition of IWTHYH, no longer supported by the miracles of studio electronics and stripped of the emotional prop of a comatose father, fell flatter than his notes and garnered by far the worst reviews by professional critics at major newspapers. (If anyone asks, I will be more, much more, than glad to post them.)

Second straw man argument for the win! Let's compare Darren's singing to a person who's not and never expressed an inch of interest in being recording artist or earn appearance fees at events, that'll show us!

But since we're in the business of "Darren is absolutely flawless live singer, unlike his costar cough cough", let me start the ball rolling with this shining example (ffw to 1:40) What was that about "no longer supported by the miracles of studio electronics"?

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 5

I don't think Darren is a good live singer either, but to be fair, even Lea and Matt have had a few bad live performances.

Heck, Idina Menzel often has trouble with live performances, and I'd never call her untalented.

I don't think Darren is a good live singer either, but to be fair, even Lea and Matt have had a few bad live performances.

Heck, Idina Menzel often has trouble with live performances, and I'd never call her untalented.

Of course that's true, nobody said it wasn't. But Sara2009, my post was in direct reference to Higgs' insistence that Darren's so much better than (choose a name here) - in his example Chris live singing at the tour. 

Seriously, I never thought Darren's awful in either singing or acting. And my main interest in this thread is his performance side, not so much his fans or his persona, though the intersection of these three for creating his image is also interesting. I discuss him more often than say, Lea, because the show has been trying to tell me he's this amazing talent and flawless performer, which I don't find accurate and can say more about that. While in Lea's case, I'm more convinced of what the show told me about her talent and abilities.

Edited by fakeempress

Darren also has a big disadvantage - he's going to be one of a few hundred guys just like him in Hollywood vying for the same parts. And I don't think he's got the acting chops or anything really distinctive about his performance abilities that's going to make him stand apart from the rest of the pack.

And if Darren's appeal is so wide, then why did Columbia shelve his album? Why couldn't he win a PCA the year when he had multiple nominations? Why wouldn't his own employers submit him for Emmy consideration? If it weren't for the fact that Darren lucked out and got cast to act opposite Chris (and make no mistake... that was a huge thing for him to come in to play the love interest of one of the most popular characters on Glee, as well as working opposite one of its most respected actors), I highly doubt that Darren would have gotten a fraction of the attention that he received.

Gotta add to the list that Darren had the Beelzebubs backing him and the fresh to glee accapella arrangments.

Oh, sure, I resent that so many solos were given to Darren (what Lea stan doesn't?)

Why would Lea stans resent Darren getting solos?      I do not think his solos affected Rachel or her storyline  so why would there be resentment?

I mostly so got tired of the Blaine and/or the Warlbers  becasue it seemed 90% of their songs were not connected to a plot.  Rachel has few but they at least tried to connect to the plot.  The Warblers i.e Blaine just sang to have another song in the episode.   

Edited by tom87

I've heard multiple recordings of Darren singing live and... I'll be generous here... he's very hit and miss. There are times when he's passable and times when he's so off key that cats fighting are a more pleasant auditory experience.

Darren is imminently sellable, but in the way that potato chips are. A pleasant empty calorie but doesn't amount to much. And one of a few dozen other potato chip brands on the supermarket shelf. So while there might be more job opportunities for a performer like Darren than there might be for one like Chris, it also means a ton more competition for those jobs. One thing Chris has to his advantage (since he was brought up) is that he is more unique and there are fewer people who look and sound like he does. So less competition for the jobs that he would be considered for.

Gotta add to the list that Darren had the Beelzebubs backing him and the fresh to glee accapella arrangments.

It is telling that his most profitable musical numbers for Glee were with the Beelzebubs and he hasn't come close to matching those sales since.

Random, when it comes to Darren, I've never understood how people who don't like a celebrity know just as much/more about them as their actual fans. I've always found that weird. While I can't say that I dislike anyone in the Glee cast, I don't follow any that I don't have any interest in, and certainly wouldn't if I found them to be untalented and unlikeable.

I think the best example of this is "Big Brother" - after the episode where Quinn is in a terrible car wreck, it would have been nice for immediate follow-up. Or at least focused follow-up. Instead the majority of the next episode is spent on Blaine singing 3 of the 5 songs in the episode and whining about his older brother taking his toys when they were kids. It was just so out of touch with what I think a lot of people were expecting/wanting to see.

And somewhere online there was a list of solos for each character, posted around the end of season 4. At that point Blaine had already taken over as having sung the most solos on the show, and was in the top 3 for duets and group leads. It just showed how much they had (over)used him in the short time he had been on the show. I think that's where a lot of the hate comes from. The show really was on Blaine-jukebox overload for a long time.

While he doesn't have as many solos this season, they are still inserting him in every scene, even when it doesn't make sense. For example, Blaine being there as an angel during Brittany's song. Or any of the random times he is in the McKinley choir room when he is supposedly still working at Dalton.

The question I have still is who is Blaine taking solos from? Cause honestly, even if the character of Blaine didn't exist, there most likely wouldn't have been immediate follow up for Quinn because RIB suck with immediate follow up. He's not taking songs from people like Kurt or Will or Tina because these people are never getting to sing even when Blaine doesn't. I really think the only person who he is taking songs from is Rachel, and it's not like that character is hurting for songs to sing, so I don't see the big deal.

If RIB wants to give other characters focus they would, Blaine or no Blaine. I think it's clear RIB gets bored of certain characters and storylines and I don't think Blaine has anything to do with that.

• Love 2

Again... a lot is going to be determined in the coming months and years as whatever benefit Darren got from playing a popular character on Glee fades and he needs to start building his post-Glee career. So far, I don't see anything major coming down the pike for him.

My whole point was that Hollywood isn't a completely merit-based industry, therefore him not being submitted for Emmys or winning PCAs I don't think is necessarily hurting him. There are plenty of working actors who aren't anything special, and who don't win awards. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Phillip Seymore Hoffman or Robin Williams. I also don't think anyone else in this cast is going to be that. I also couldn't tell you why Darren's album got shelved (although I don't really know much about it). Amber's had problems getting an album off the ground, and she's certainly not a talentless hack. I also don't think Darren is a talentless hack, even if his fans overblow his talent. But I think there's an assumption that the most talented receive the most success, and I think that's a false assumption. 

I will give you that he is more generic, and likely has more competition, but he's also going to have opportunities to play a straight romantic lead, which with the biases of Hollywood, Chris isn't likely to get (although I don't think he's terribly interested in those roles either). 

Anyway, all I'm saying is, I think he will have a career. Do I think he'll win Oscars? No. But I don't think he's going to become a homeless bum either, and I think he has enough appeal to have a career. 

• Love 2

Bradley Cooper was profiled on 60 Minutes last night and he talked about how actors have a number associated with them - basically an indication of how profitable or critically valuable they might be and that is what indicates to a large degree how a studio sees a performer and not only whether they will get work, but also what kind of work they get.

Besides having Teenage Dream being a huge hit for Glee (due at least as much to the fact that his character was being introduced as a romantic interest to Chris's character and the inclusion of the Beelzebubs) I don't see Darren having done much that would raise that number penned in next to his name. His Broadway run was too short to indicate any real viability in that venue (and much has been made about his voice not being strong enough to handle a show for months at a stretch) and none of his numerous outside forays have really shown that he can be a profitable performer. And he certainly hasn't acquitted himself on Glee to any real critical acclaim so how many job offers might actually be waiting for him in the coming months (as well as what kind of jobs those might be) is certainly open to a lot of speculation.

The question I have still is who is Blaine taking solos from? Cause honestly, even if the character of Blaine didn't exist, there most likely wouldn't have been immediate follow up for Quinn because RIB suck with immediate follow up. He's not taking songs from people like Kurt or Will or Tina because these people are never getting to sing even when Blaine doesn't. I really think the only person who he is taking songs from is Rachel, and it's not like that character is hurting for songs to sing, so I don't see the big deal.

If RIB wants to give other characters focus they would, Blaine or no Blaine. I think it's clear RIB gets bored of certain characters and storylines and I don't think Blaine has anything to do with that.

There have been several times when Blaine got to sing quite randomly in a Kurt storyline, like when Karofsky tried to commit suicide or when Kurt went to New York. Another one that come to mind is when Kurt had the idea for the Lonely Hearts Club show at Breadsticks but it was Blaine who sang at the show Kurt organized. And even when Kurt had a dream fantasy Blaine sang 90% of the song.

Blaine has also been inserted in quite a few songs without him having any reason to be there at all, like very recently Brittany's Heaven dream and him popping up at McKinley all the time purely to sing in songs. So maybe if the writers hadn't felt the need to e.g. insert Blaine randomly in 'Arthur's Theme' then Kurt would have gotten his lines, as his omission in that song particularly as he is ND's coach was very noticeable.

Of course this isn't Blaine's fault, and certainly not Darren, and it's true that if the writers are not interested in giving songs to certain characters they wouldn't do that regardless if Blaine was there to sing instead. But otoh if Blaine wasn't singing so much all the time, and often up front and center without there really being a reason for it, there would have been more opportunity (as in screentime and total number of songs per episode) for others. As I said: especially in the group numbers Blaine tends to be shoved to the foreground at the detriment of others who don't get that many chances to sing once in a while too.

And frankly: it's simply annoying when a few characters get to sing a lot when others, with similar tier status on the show and in similar situations (storylines), get very little.

Random, when it comes to Darren, I've never understood how people who don't like a celebrity know just as much/more about them as their actual fans. I've always found that weird. While I can't say that I dislike anyone in the Glee cast, I don't follow any that I don't have any interest in, and certainly wouldn't if I found them to be untalented and unlikeable.

This....a thousand times.

Bradley Cooper was profiled on 60 Minutes last night and he talked about how actors have a number associated with them - basically an indication of how profitable or critically valuable they might be and that is what indicates to a large degree how a studio sees a performer and not only whether they will get work, but also what kind of work they get.

I saw that interview. And he also talked about the fact that no one really saw 3 time Oscar nominee in his future,  when his biggest role a few years ago was Rachel McAdams' crazy steroid-using fiance in Wedding Crashers. And then it wasn't until Hangover that he was considered somewhat bankable because the movie killed at the box office. Even then, no one was really thinking Oscar for the guy whose biggest movie roles were Wedding Crashers and Hangover. That was until, according to Bradley himself, David O'Russell saw something in him and told him so far he'd been getting by in his career at a 3 but he was going to force him to push himself further. And he later got his first Oscar nomination for Silver Linings Playbook. 

All this not to say Darren has Oscar nominations in his future but the fact that again, one can't always predict exactly what will happen in a persons's career no matter how mediocre or talentless you might believe they are (because believing it doesn't make it a fact). And I do think it is a fair point as the poster above stated, that Darren's being able to play the straight lead roles, be the romantic scene partner, is beneficial. Is it fair...of course not. But that's Hollywood. It's the same way that African Americans/black actors and actresses are often limited by the number of amazing roles they can get because they're not the first ones to get the call for lead roles, romantic love interest, etc. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Random, when it comes to Darren, I've never understood how people who don't like a celebrity know just as much/more about them as their actual fans. I've always found that weird.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been an inhabitant of earth? Irrational feelings toward people with notoriety is kind of right up there with the need for food and shelter when it comes to human behavior. And it's about 98% of the reason why television Internet forums exist (see every single forum for every single tv show in existence for examples of people knowing immeasurable levels of detail about celebrities/characters they despise). Is it really that incomprehensible that Darren Criss would be subject to the same?? This is such a very very common fact of life. It's like finding it weird that some people love chocolate.

Edited by Myrna123
  • Love 2

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the poster was referring to just having an irrational dislike or for some even borderline hate for someone famous but the fact that those who do, seem to know so much about said famous person as if they spend as much, if not more time, than their fans, paying attention to all media and information about that person. And maybe it is unpopular and I am the weird one there, but yeah, I too think that is a little strange. 

Like I don't care for the Kardashian family at all...never watched their reality show and have zero interest in them. Similarly, I think Jennifer Aniston is incredibly boring and somehow that fact bugs me. Irrational...sure. And I can't stand Kristen Stewart and think she's incredibly affected from the few times I've seen her on screen or in an interview. That said, I don't actively pay attention to or look for anything about these people. Now they're all famous enough that I can't entirely escape them so when I'm scrolling through my People Magazine twitter feed for example, I'll see a headline or two but I don't click on the story because I don't care. 

I do think it is weird when people reference things Darren supposedly said on social media, in interviews, did at some event, etc. because I do wonder many times, "how do you know all this and more importantly why would anyone pay attention to the social media of someone you already can't stand?" It's like what is the point? Other than it's purely to look for and try to find something else that can be used as some more evidence of his being an awful person I guess...

• Love 2

Truthaboutluv more or less just said what I wanted to say in the post about BCoop, but I was already writing my post so I'll go ahead with it . 

Besides having Teenage Dream being a huge hit for Glee (due at least as much to the fact that his character was being introduced as a romantic interest to Chris's character and the inclusion of the Beelzebubs) I don't see Darren having done much that would raise that number penned in next to his name. His Broadway run was too short to indicate any real viability in that venue (and much has been made about his voice not being strong enough to handle a show for months at a stretch) and none of his numerous outside forays have really shown that he can be a profitable performer. And he certainly hasn't acquitted himself on Glee to any real critical acclaim so how many job offers might actually be waiting for him in the coming months (as well as what kind of jobs those might be) is certainly open to a lot of speculation.

I have a problem with this persistent line of thought that this is how the industry must be looking at him. You don't know how the industry thinks of him. The fact that you and I don't see him as anything special in the acting department doesn't mean that's the view of the industry. The fact that he hasn't announced projects doesn't mean he won't have them. This is predicting how the industry sees him with a fan (negative, but still a fan-type perspective) goggles on. 

Bradley Cooper's equivalent of Glee was Alias, where was an annoying sidekick character, not fan favorite (though I liked him a lot more than Vartan and thought Bradley was the better actor). Then he got roles here and there, some TV, some movies - run of the mill no biggie roles. Didn't bring the house down with any of them. Then got his own TV show Kitchen Confidential (which I also liked) but it was cancelled very soon. So - a flop. Various roles follow again, until he got a couple of movies which included The Hangover. It was The Hangover that really opened the doors to him. But this success wasn't because of him and only him, many factors went into it, and it was a surprise success. Nobody was really expecting the movie to be such a hit. The box office from that movie made him a star, and upped his number. So this happened 9 whole years after he left Alias (aka his Glee). You do the math.

He was at the right place and the right time for The Hangover. Who is to say that won't happen with Darren? Like I said, Bradley wasn't anything special on Alias, a lot of other actors could've played the role, and better. You couldn't predict - at all - at the time, that Will Tippin will one day be an Oscar nominated actor. What he did was look for work, and in the meantime he got better with experience. Even now I won't say he's among the best who should be getting Oscars but that's how the industry now sees him. 

So, to predict Darren's future just on the basis of Glee is an extremely myopic and very biased view. I can take my fan goggles off here and say this, because I've seen more times I can count how actors on TV shows I fell in love with and thought were great as performers, very talented, and destined for big things - didn't make it, or took a long time to make it. And vice versa with actors like Bradley and Jared Leto, whose acting wasn't anything to write home about - in Jared's case even bad, he was mostly posing not acting in My So-Called Life (the equivalent of Alias in his case) - you wake up one day and suddenly they're stars with big numbers attached to their names, then nominated for or winning Oscars.

You may turn to be right and Darren will go nowhere - or you may wake up tomorrow and he'll be in a box office hit and become an overnight star. Nobody knows how it will go. I don't doubt for a minute that he's getting offers, and you shouldn't too, and I can guarantee you they haven't stopped coming. Just because he hasn't announced anything doesn't mean he doesn't have anything in the works, or he won't get it - ever. 

It's not only Darren - nobody from the Glee cast have yet proven they can be a box office material. Lea is a better actress than him, and her movie didn't do anything. Let's not speak of Chris's own movie. So, let's slow down on predicting doom and gloom for his career just because hasn't had a box office hit or we think he isn't a particularly good actor. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 3

I do think it is weird when people reference things Darren supposedly said on social media, in interviews, did at some event, etc. because I do wonder many times, "how do you know all this and more importantly why would anyone pay attention to the social media of someone you already can't stand?" It's like what is the point? Other than it's purely to look for and try to find something else that can be used as some more evidence of his being an awful person I guess...

I can only speak for myself, but I don't actively seek out information about Darren, or any of the Glee kids I have no interest in. But, because I frequent forums like this one, and because I stay fairly active on tumblr, I can't help it if I see information out there that's related to Darren or anyone else. That's what happens when you're in a fandom. You find out a lot of things about a lot of people you otherwise would have no interest in.

• Love 4

Reading this thread, I thought it was weird someone would have criticisms of Chris Colfer's singing all queued up and ready to go...

Like I said, Bradley wasn't anything special on Alias, a lot of other actors could've played the role, and better.

I don't know...I loved to hate Will. LOL He was far more believable as a spy/action type than Michael! (ITA, fakeempress. BC was good as Will--it was just season 1 when the character was a bit annoying. Totally loved him more than Michael as the show went on.) Edited by indeed
  • Love 2

I don't know...I loved to hate Will. LOL He was far more believable as a spy/action type than Michael!

I actually liked Will more than Vartan's character whose name I can't even remember lol  and thought Bradley was the better actor. People were salivating over Michael and I was thinking, what do you see in him? and I agree that Bradley was a better spy type than Michael. I think Bradley has an edge to him that is now evident in his acting (and which David O. Russell exploited very well), while Vartan is a boring actor. 

People also loved David Anders - and here is another example of an actor who was thought good and expected to do better, and yet I haven't seen him in a very long while. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

I can only speak for myself, but I don't actively seek out information about Darren, or any of the Glee kids I have no interest in. But, because I frequent forums like this one, and because I stay fairly active on tumblr, I can't help it if I see information out there that's related to Darren or anyone else. That's what happens when you're in a fandom. You find out a lot of things about a lot of people you otherwise would have no interest in.

This is me too. I don't even actively seek info about actors I like/enjoy, so forget about actors I'm indifferent to or don't like, but because I'm on tumblr and other forums, I get these info on my dash or when I read a post someone write.  I'm a lazy fan, unless someone brings it to my attention I won't know, especially if it has to do with their personal lives.  I like/enjoy a lot of actors but I will be lying if I told you that I knew whether they are marry/in relationship/have kids/ or whatever, I usually find out by accident and it's usually yrs later.

• Love 1

I don't even actively seek info about actors I like/enjoy, so forget about actors I'm indifferent to or don't like, but because I'm on tumblr and other forums, I get these info on my dash or when I read a post someone write.  I'm a lazy fan, unless someone brings it to my attention I won't know, especially if it has to do with their personal lives.

That's more or less my case too. A lot of it comes from having been on forums like TWOP which had a lot of information alongside the very opinionated arguments lol, and I am interested in other people's opinions so I read mostly everything that was discussed about the shows I followed. And now with tumblr, I come across a lot more than I look for. 

Lol, true, and when it comes to news about Darren all you have to do is read the Chris Colfer tag on tumblr, since some his fans seem to have difficulty with learning how to tag properly.  

• Love 2

Well yeah, I see things here but that's just it, I see it when someone else references it. What baffles me though is when that stuff is referenced by someone who admittedly doesn't like Darren at all. I get confused because my first thought is "how and why do you know this?"

I loved Bradley Cooper in "Alias" and thought he was a standout to be honest.  Hell I even liked his smarmy actor character in "Nip/Tuck" and some of his other TV/movie roles.  "Kitchen Confidential" was high ly underrated and was cancelled despite being a good show.  It didn't surprise me that he got steady work, plus let's face it, while white male actors of a certain age and look have the most opportunities of anyone ( compare with women actors).  Collin Farrel keeps getting offered role despite a million flops in his career.

Did I think Bradley  would become an A List movie star and celebrity?

Hell No!! LOL.

The moral is you just don't know with anyone.

Mark Salling, greatest breakout star of Glee.

I mean, Johnny Galecki got the Big Bang Theory is all I'm saying of the "Roseann" cast.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Did I think Bradley  would become an A List movie star and celebrity?

Hell No!! LOL.

Yeah, I can make a miles-long list of names who I never thought will become A-listers but they did.

It's true that the general odds are disproportionately in favour of straight (or thought to be straight lol) while male actors compared to women, actors of colour and LGBT actors. This is the hard truth. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Well yeah, I see things here but that's just it, I see it when someone else references it. What baffles me though is when that stuff is referenced by someone who admittedly doesn't like Darren at all. I get confused because my first thought is "how and why do you know this?"

And I think people gave you answers to that. 

What I don't understand in turn, is the concept that people who don't like someone at all (or hate) must be totally disinterested in them. Love and hate, or rather strong positive and negative attitude can precipitate interest. - I don't find that in the least strange. What doesn't precipitate interest though is indifference. The posters posting in this thread aren't indifferent  imo, or else they won't care to make the effort to click on the forum link to comment on Darren at all. I'm sure when Glee is all done, some if not most will move on and lose interest, and stop commenting in either negative or positive way

I have the same issue with people who always make a point of berating those who don't like Glee (or any other show) but still watch, for their hate-watching. Some people like hate watching and ranting, some just do it to amuse themselves or are contrarians - so sue them. The concept that different people behave in different ways isn't that hard to get. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 3

Well that's an interesting role for Darren. I hope he does well with it. Those are some huge shoes to fill..

Honestly, I'm much more of a pollyanna than I am a stan. I'd say something if I saw enough comments about Lea (Speaking of which..when is she going to announce she's Elphaba? I'm waiting.), Naya, Chris, Amber..etc..I like Darren because of starkids and his fangirl attitude with Michelle Chamuel (its adorable). But he's not my favorite singer of the cast (Naya) and he's not my favorite actor/actress (Naya). I do think he's the most attractive..(man..overall Naya.) I just think it gets excessive (both the vitriol and the criticism) with Darren. And I don't think suggesting that perhaps some of the criticism being thrown his way has more to do with personal feelings than actual objective analysis..

Edited by mercfan3

I just think it gets excessive (both the vitriol and the criticism) with Darren. And I don't think suggesting that perhaps some of the criticism being thrown his way has more to do with personal feelings than actual objective analysis.

Just to clarify my own opinion:

I just think it gets excessive (both the vitriol and the criticism) with Lea.

I just think it gets excessive (both the vitriol and the criticism) with Darren.

I just think it gets excessive (both the vitriol and the criticism) with Naya.

.I just think it gets excessive (both the vitriol and the criticism) with Chris.

And I don't think suggesting that perhaps some of the criticism being thrown THEIR way has more to do with personal feelings than actual objective analysis.

Let's not pretend Darren is some fragile snowflake who singularly gets more criticism and vitriol. That is the one thing that annoys me about some of his stans, The whining that only he gets hatred. Ask Lea, Naya and Chris fans about the abuse and criticisms they receive.

Hope that clears things up and cuts through all the bullshit.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 6

If he gets the right vehicle, Darren might make it huge, who knows. The thing with Darren is that he's shown at least to me to be a mediocre talent. And this is not hatred, it's just opinion. Darren often enough that it's memorable takes me out of a scene, and I just think what is he doing?

As a person, he does have a tendency to put his for in his mouth, but it's nothing overly offensive. He does like to be the center of attention. That's perfectly fine, but I can see why it annoys people.

Hollywood is a difficult world to predict. You never know who might make it big, but stating a criticism of Darren acting talent is not hatred imo.

Edited by dizzyizzy01

“The Broadway replacement system is a difficult one because you don’t always have the full compliment of people paying attention. It’s hard to re-direct someone every three months, so there’s kind of a piecemeal effect. But I really want to be there for Darren Criss, who is incredibly motivated and hardworking and so excited about this. I want to rewrite some new stuff for him—just for him.”

—  

— John Cameron Mitchell (Broadway.com)

I'm sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on this now. Long running shows change leads all the time. But normally, the lead roles are played by capable actors who don’t need to have their hands held after being hired, and have a only few weeks to learn their parts before taking over the role on stage. They don’t get the show altered to better suit their abilities. But this is what happens when you hire someone who is not capable of taking over the part as it was written.

I have seen many shows over the years and several shows more than once (so I had the chance to see the show with different casts). I have never heard of a show being re-written in any way for an actor taking over a role for a limited period late in the show’s run. It’s really hinting that Darren just isn’t up to the job and they are actually altering the show to try to make it work.

So no, Darren is not getting rewrites because he’s so amazing that they have to give him new material to play with. They’re rewriting things because Darren apparently can’t perform the part the way that multiple other actors had managed to before him. Darren is miscast and rather than admit that, the show is trying to save face by shifting things to cover up their mistake. Unfortunately it’s going to come at the expense of the audience who think that they are paying good money to see the show that won a Tony and they’re going to get a watered down version played by an actor who should never have been offered the part.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'll give Darren the benefit of the doubt until his run actually begins.

Having said that, this seems highly unusual for a limited run, 4 performers into a role. (NPH, Andrew Rannels, John Cameron Mitchell preceding him) Sure sometimes you can change the key a performer sings in to better fit/suit their vocal range, or simplify choreography for someone limited, etc.

But to "rewrite" the role for a 3 month run seems like a lot of work.

Oh well.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

The idea of rewriting some new stuff for him though, doesn't sound like amending the play as it is..it sounds like it's adding more because of him. Perhaps they want to make some changes to the show, and they think Darren is a good fit to start making those changes. 

I mean, the idea that they would hire him in the first place already thinking off the bat he couldn't handle it is just silly. He hasn't even started rehearsing yet, so that means they hired him with the idea of making these changes. 

Or we could just assume Darren is inept. 

Edited by mercfan3

Having seen celeb stunt cast types fall on their faces, I'd rather they do whatever they need to so this doesn't go badly. It's better to rewrite a bit here and there than to want to crawl out embarrassed at intermission. 

(edited)

They are also recasting another role with a known good B'way performer, Rebecca Naomi Jones (I remember her from Smash), which is smart because some people will go to see her. Some B'way regulars usually check out the cast changes, and they seem excited about her in fact.

Edited by fakeempress

Yea, unlike Darren though, Rebecca has legit Broadway cred.  She's been in a couple different shows, and she's from the OBC of American Idiot.

This is going to be an interesting role for Darren.  Hopefully it's successful.  I still just can't really picture him in the role.

(edited)

I was looking very carefully at just what JCM was saying and it's not good news for Darren. He's praising Darren's enthusiasm and hard work, but not his talent. That is strange given how complimentary he was of Darren's talent in the press releases about Darren being cast. He's also saying how he wants to "be there" for Darren, which to me implies that there's some hand-holding going on behind the scenes. Darren is supposed to be a professional so why would he need the show's creator there to shepherd him through the rehearsal process.

JCM is also not saying that he's using Darren as an opportunity to refresh a show that has been playing for over a year now, or that he felt basic changes were necessary. He didn't feel necessary to add new or change existing material when he had someone like Andrew Rannells playing the part. These changes are for Darren and Darren alone. None of the other actors who played Hedwig required script rewrites to make their performances work. And JCM assured audiences that when Hedwig goes on its world tour (with him in the lead role) that they would be returning to the original book. That, for me, was really telling. And we don't know just how many changes JCM is talking about, but the fact that he's openly talking about making changes to me implicates that the audience who might have already seen the show should be prepared for more than minor changes.

Darren would hardly be the first actor hired and then recognized to not be up to the task when he shows up for work. I'll never forget how Stuart Townsend, after months of preparing for the role of Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings films, showed up in New Zealand to start filming and was fired on the first day because Peter Jackson realized that he was just too damn young to be playing the part (and Viggo Mortensen was flown in the next day to take over the role). I recognize that they are better off making these changes rather than let Darren fall flat on his face (and take the show with him) but it's bringing up a lot of questions as to whether his abilities were really taken into account when he was offered the part, or whether there were other factors (like JCM's personal liking for Darren) at work and now that Darren is actually in rehearsals they're realizing that they may have made a mistake. This isn't just about protecting Darren, but also JCM (and the rest of the Hedwig team) for looking like fools for casting him in the first place.

We'll know once the audience (especially those who might have seen the show previously) are in the seats and give their feedback.

Edited by Hana Chan

Much though my reaction to the casting news was a jaw drop and deep confusion, I find it hard to believe they're terribly surprised by what they got when he showed up for rehearsals. There's no way they didn't audition him somewhere along the way. This reads more as expectation setting than shitting bricks. I'm not sure why they cast him when they clearly know they need to hedge the inevitable bad reviews over a weaksauce version of the role, but they had to know in advance what they were getting into here.

Totally agree that they're trying to manage expectations. But when you compare the original press release, with them calling Darren a "light in the dark" , having and "electrifying" stage presence, "rock and role credentials" and "impeccable" comic timing to JCM expressing how difficult it is to transition new actors into a part and really wanting to be there for Darren, that is a huge downgrade in expectations. My guess is that JCM had to take off his Darren-stan glasses and put on his Hedwig creator hat and realized that he had a problem on his hands that needed to be addressed quickly.

Honestly, I have no problem with them hand-holding Darren or doing whatever it takes to make sure that his run is a great one.  Maybe they shouldn't have hired him if they were going to do all this but they DID. Darren didn't force them to, Darren didn't lie to them about his talent, because I'm sure they watched him in order things beside his audition.

They gave him the job knowing his limitation, knowing this would be his first big BW role, therefore it is up to them to work around and with those limitation to make sure everything goes okay.

So, I'm happy to know that they are going to do everything possible to help Darren to make sure that his 3 months are good.

• Love 3

Eh,  my thing is that it's Cameron Mitchell's play and he can do whatever the hell  he wants with it, he's the creator of Hedwig after all.  I mean if Ryan Murphy can do with Glee whatever he wants.     So if Darren is singing a Starkids sing-a-long of "Back to Hogwarts" as Hedwig as long as JCM is good with that...

(edited)

I think it's embarrassing for Darren, JCM, and Broadway that they're having to write completely new material to suit his voice. But, if the alternative is him fumbling and screaming his way through the original material which is not in his style or range, and doing irreparable damage to his voice while also potentially turning off the (non Darren stan) audience, then it's probably best that they do re-tool things for him. Obviously, JCM wouldn't be investing this much time and effort if he didn't think Darren wouldn't be some kind of audience draw.

Edited by Ceeg
(edited)

I just think there are some major leaps being made off of what, in my opinion anyway, was a fairly innocuous comment. 

No kidding. There is absolutely nothing in there about managing expectations. It's his first big BW show, so the creator wants to be there for him. Good lord. He wants to make a few changes to the musical..must mean Darren's incapable of playing the roll as is. Hell, the changes may just be lowering the key to the songs..which was obvious was going to happen from the get go. (And happens all the time in plays)  Or heck, it might mean that there's something positive about Darren that they would like to add to the show (I've never seen it, but does Hedwig play an instrument? Maybe they want to add that to the show at some point.) There's a lot of possibilities here..and people are simply taking what they want from a fairly simple comment. 

Once again, let's see how this actually pans out before making judgments. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 3
(edited)
Obviously, JCM wouldn't be investing this much time and effort if he didn't think Darren wouldn't be some kind of audience draw.

Exactly.   This is the 5th actor in the run  that's already made it's cost back , so it's all gravy at this point.  There isn't probably going to be a lot of critical reviews at this junction so it's about getting people in the seats.    I wish him well.  My earlier comment was more about how it is a bit unusual to rewrite new material this late in a  run for a relatively limited engagement, just to discard it afterwards,  but like I said, if JCM the creator  is willing to do the work to accommodate Darren, why not?

Hell, the changes may just be lowering the key to the songs..which was obvious was going to happen from the get go.

Actually that's usually done with no press announcement, it's just done.  Part of BW MO for stunt casting.  I think it's fair to say that this announcement was a little out of the ordinary by his specifically saying he's rewriting things, as least those of us who follow theatre/ Broadway stuff.  Don't seem to recall a similar announcement for the other 4 actors preceding Darren  in the role.

I'm just saying this because while I agree we shouldn't prejudge his performance, the statement by the creator is a little unusual and out of the ordinary for these kind of things.  I also get tired of reading that discussing such an announcement  is just  all running to conclusions, JCM started the discussion, LOL.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)
I also get tired of reading that discussing such an announcement  is just  all running to conclusions, JCM started the discussion, LOL.

I wasn't saying there could be no discussion about Darren's role in the show because let's face it, there's already been quite a bit from the moment the press release came out announcing he'd be doing the show. It's just personally, I read the comment and as I said, I really thought it was quite vague. All I really got is that changing leads on a show every three months is always a challenge which I would think is obvious, Mitchell is really excited for and rooting for Darren and wants to add somethings to the show specifically for Darren.

In my opinion, it is quite a leap to go from that to "he will be mediocre, a giant fail, Mitchell clearly knows that, knows it was a mistake to hire him and now they're trying to cover their asses." Like mercfan3 noted, for all we know those new additions specific to Darren may just be something that he's good at that Mitchell thinks will be fun to add to the show. I don't know and I'm not going to pretend I do - I just don't think the statement was damning enough to jump to these giant conclusions. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I think it's embarrassing for Darren, JCM, and Broadway that they're having to write completely new material to suit his voice. But, if the alternative is him fumbling and screaming his way through the original material which is not in his style or range, and doing irreparable damage to his voice while also potentially turning off the (non Darren stan) audience, then it's probably best that they do re-tool things for him. Obviously, JCM wouldn't be investing this much time and effort if he didn't think Darren wouldn't be some kind of audience draw.

I honestly don't see why this should be embarrassing to Darren, JCM or BW.  They hired someone they believed would bring in audience, so they can make money. But with this decision, they have to make some changes in order to make the show worth the price that people will pay to come see Darren in this role. It was a business decision they made by hiring Darren and now, they are doing what needs to be done to make it work. I don't see anything wrong with that or embarrassing. 

I do wish they hadn't said anything and just allowed people to come to the show and judge it then and there.  But I understand they are trying to bring-down expectations so that people don't get disappointed, therefore judge the show harshly base on their preconceived notion of how the show was going to be.

Well, there are his stans who will think it's the best ever no matter how weak this performance might be and there are those who have already decided it can only suck because Darren is the worst. I'm fairly sure some are gleefully anticipating this to crash and burn.

I'd say it's difficult to judge before we've seen it, it may very well be a disaster (but at least it's an ambitious one), it might be meh , it might even be somewhat good (perhaps in a different way from what is expected). Who knows.

• Love 3
(edited)

I do wish they hadn't said anything and just allowed people to come to the show and judge it then and there.  But I understand they are trying to bring-down expectations so that people don't get disappointed, therefore judge the show harshly base on their preconceived notion of how the show was going to be.

The gist for me is that JCM's new comment comes on the heels of the 'huh' reaction by the NYT and the B'way forums to the Darren announcement, and brings things down to earth after the previous hyperbolic language. I think indeed managing the expectations of the non-Glee /non-Darren-fan audience they need to get, and selling Darren's run, is what's it all about. If they didn't think they needed to do that extra work, JCM would probably want to devote the time to healing his leg to complete his own run. 

Edited by fakeempress