Type keyword(s) to search

Darren Criss/Blaine Anderson

OK, after forcing myself to read through some of the rants against Darren since he announced his engagement, what I'm coming to understand is that the anger and resentment aren't coming from the Klaine shippers so much as they're coming from a part of Darren's gay fans who feel that he used them by deliberately lying about his sexuality (making a big show of identifying with the gay community and even at least implying that he really was gay).  They hate that he pretended to be gay (in their minds), thus stealing gay roles that rightfully should have gone to actors who really are gay.  In other words, they see what he's done as a cosmic case of having trolled the gay community for years and now saying, in essence, "Fuck you -- I'm really straight, suckers!"

• Love 1
5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

OK, after forcing myself to read through some of the rants against Darren since he announced his engagement, what I'm coming to understand is that the anger and resentment aren't coming from the Klaine shippers so much as they're coming from a part of Darren's gay fans who feel that he used them by deliberately lying about his sexuality (making a big show of identifying with the gay community and even at least implying that he really was gay).  They hate that he pretended to be gay (in their minds), thus stealing gay roles that rightfully should have gone to actors who really are gay.  In other words, they see what he's done as a cosmic case of having trolled the gay community for years and now saying, in essence, "Fuck you -- I'm really straight, suckers!"

but Darren never said he was gay, it was common knowledge he had a girlfriend. He also explicitly said he was straight in an interview in 2011. Honestly some of those rants read like they're from CrissColfer shippers who don't want to admit to that so they pretend like they're offended on behalf of the gay community.

• Love 1

but Darren never said he was gay, it was common knowledge he had a girlfriend. He also explicitly said he was straight in an interview in 2011. Honestly some of those rants read like they're from CrissColfer shippers who don't want to admit to that so they pretend like they're offended on behalf of the gay community.

Sounds legit because this is an old CCer tactic. But they could also be from the other group of Klainer ladies (and maybe some gay guys) who really believed or found it convenient to believe that Darren is a closeted gay. They dabbled in some wink-wink tinhatting for lolz but didn't lose their grip on reality. They just H-hated his girlfriend and constantly bashed her. Their conspiracy was about her and his management as the forces of evil, rather than Ryan / Fox. They also claimed to be lgbt+ themselves, but mostly the +.  

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, KatWay said:

Yes, there has never been any real ambiguity there, either about him or about his alleged "secret spouse" CC, who has been very public about his boyfriend and dedicated at least one of his books to him. The CrissColferites keep finding hidden signs that indicate the two actors' real-life significant others are in fact hired hands who act as social beards to hide the truth for esoteric and absurd PR reasons. As you say they claim to be offended on behalf of the queer community, but I doubt many of them are really part of it or have any standing to act or speak as representative of the LGBTQ crowd in any significant way. I sometimes wonder if they sincerely truly believe the crap they keep spinning or if it has become a game they keep playing by habit or just for some intellectual pleasure. Similar to fans of some works of fiction, like the Sherlock Holmes stories, where some aficionados affect to speak and write about them as if they are non-fiction and try to fit them within real historical facts, while knowing it is just a hobby.

It is a consolation that most fans are not part of that group of crazies, although the latter are a very vocal and persistent minority.

Edited by Florinaldo

DC will be on Seth Meyers' show tonight.

I don't see anything in the article or his instagram to suggest he took a time out for the purpose of review enjoyment.  

You read that article and his post correctly. And so did I. Mirabile dictu!

The second part of my sentence was my own observation regarding other possible consequences of their choice to keep it quiet for a time and that is probably what confused you. I was assuming of course that he is aware of the reviews, either directly or through someone on his PR team who summarizes them.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2018 at 8:06 PM, Florinaldo said:

You read that article and his post correctly. And so did I. Mirabile dictu!

The second part of my sentence was my own observation regarding other possible consequences of their choice to keep it quiet for a time and that is probably what confused you. I was assuming of course that he is aware of the reviews, either directly or through someone on his PR team who summarizes them.

I wish I knew what his fiancee thinks about an observation that implies he couldn't have read said reviews, nor enjoyed them, unless he put off his engagement announcement for weeks.

• Love 1
On 01/02/2018 at 12:56 AM, fakeempress said:

I wish I knew what his fiancee thinks about an observation that implies he couldn't have read said reviews, nor enjoyed them, unless he put off his engagement announcement for weeks.

I think that your picking at imaginary nits caused you to misread the original observation which did not say that. Besides, his fiancée is in the entertainment industry so she would know that you have to schedule your announcements so they don't compete with each other for coverage by the media. It's the basic PR principle, that you may not have been aware of, involved in my assessment.

In other, more relevant news, DC has won an award for his turn in the West Coast leg of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, for which as I recall reviews and commentary were indeed generally positive at the time. Furthermore, reading the full list of winners, one finds the name of another Glee alumnun, i.e. MM for his solo concert in the "Cabaret Artist" category.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1
On 1/31/2018 at 9:56 PM, fakeempress said:

Priceless. 

Hopefully press clippings won’t stop other major personal events.

• Love 2

I think that your picking at imaginary nits caused you to misread the original observation which did not say that. Besides, his fiancée is in the entertainment industry so she would know that you have to schedule your announcements so they don't compete with each other for coverage by the media. It's the basic PR principle, that you may not have been aware of, involved in my assessment.

Quote, "The announcement was wisely delayed until after the ACS Versace promo blitz, which kept interviewers focused on the main subject without any gossipy distraction and allowed DC to enjoy the positive reviews he got for his performance, especially from reviewers who received screeners."

The unbolded is the rationale per your source which even a two year old can see from miles away..

The bolded he never said or implied. Why it is tacked on as his reasoning, I have no idea. There's no causality of "allowing" at work, certainly not based on sourcing. Nothing stops him from reading and enjoying his reviews while munching on a bagel, hiring his wedding planner, or posting an instagram. 

The only effect of this arbitrary correlation is to paint him as a self-involved asshole or low functioning person.  This is quite unfortunate , since he's neither in my view.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

The unbolded is the rationale per your source which even a two year old can see from miles away..

The bolded he never said or implied. Why it is tacked on as his reasoning, I have no idea. There's no causality of "allowing" at work, certainly not based on sourcing. Nothing stops him from reading and enjoying his reviews while munching on a bagel, hiring his wedding planner, or posting an instagram.

The only effect of this arbitrary correlation is to paint him as a self-involved asshole or low functioning person.

And still you persist in adding to a growing colony of imaginary nits. I did point out a consequence of the timing of the announcement and indicated that I saw it as a wise move; I came to that conclusion because the engagement was reported to have taken place weeks before the initial ACS press tour, but was announced only afterwards.

I think this paints him positively, acting as a savvy professional who knows how to manage his PR rationally.

Because for public figures their professional and private lives, as well as the attendant PR, are inevitably intertwined and yes, press clippings and coverage may impact on the timing of personal events and announcements (it would be naïve, or dishonest, to ignore that).

As an old drinking buddy of mine used to say "cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare". Indeed a waste for the youth to spend their resources on twisting simple posts and coming up with convoluted misinterpretations to rustle up dark derogatory designs being them.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/31/2018 at 4:14 PM, Florinaldo said:

As an old drinking buddy of mine used to say "cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.

"Any man can make a mistake; only a fool keeps making the same one."

Just thought I'd translate for those who might not have been around long enough to have been drinking buddies with Cicero (106 BCE - 43 CE).  ;-)

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

I started watching Glee because of Mr Criss and I’m surprised to read that the consensus on this forum is that he’s not a very good actor. I thought he was excellent on Versace; perhaps it was a better vehicle for his talents. I’m looking forward to what else is in store for his career.

• Love 3
On 4/5/2018 at 3:59 PM, weevjon85 said:

I started watching Glee because of Mr Criss and I’m surprised to read that the consensus on this forum is that he’s not a very good actor. I thought he was excellent on Versace; perhaps it was a better vehicle for his talents. I’m looking forward to what else is in store for his career.

He is ok but even on Versace I just saw a creepier Blaine.

• Love 2
On 05/04/2018 at 4:59 PM, weevjon85 said:

I think "consensus" might be too strong a word. It is true however that there was (is?) a vocal faction that recurrently denigrated DC's performing talents, in Glee or in his other ventures. A partial explanation would be that this is a not infrequent phenomenon when an actor joins an already established cast, and is seen by some viewers as competition for a performer they have already developed a loyalty/devotion to.

I agree with your assessment of his talent, even if some of his musical performances or songs are not quite to my taste. His turn in Versace, as bold a departure as taking on the title role in Hedwig was, certainly made this viewer completely forget about his role on Glee.

(edited)
On 31/05/2018 at 6:33 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

Darren Criss was always one of my favorites on this show.

If you wish to keep up with him, DC is featured in the latest Hollywood Reporter's Drama Actor Roundtable; the article features a transcript of the conversation as well as video compilations of each actor's individual contributions. A number of the same guys, including DC, will also turn up in the new season of Variety Studio: Actors on Actors, from PBS SoCal; the episode he appears in is scheduled for June 19th. I am not sure if these will be shown on all PBS stations (they can opt out of shows), but the PBS Web site features episodes once they air.  

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1
On 11/6/2018 at 2:45 PM, Tiburonwriter said:

Hey, I'm a new member. I was super active on the Glee Forum, is this where some of that convo is continuing?

Considering we just went almost 2 months between posts?  Probably not.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:26 AM, Florinaldo said:

He is also featured on one of the covers for the "Entertainers of the Year" issue of Entertainment Weekly, which may still be on the stands.

But sadly, did not show up in my mailbox.  TPTB decided I should receive the ladies of Crazy Rich Asians, and though they are indeed lovely and talented, I was hoping for Darren's cover.

Just now, Tiburonwriter said:

Hey, I'm a new member. I was super active on the Glee Forum, is this where some of that convo is continuing?

I was also looking for a place where discussion on Glee is taking place, but it seems that there is none. I know the show has been off the air for some time now, but I am still disappointed.