Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

LOVE watching just before the ball is snapped and everyone on the line of scrimmage looks like a fire-breathing dragon.  All we need now is someone to take off their helmet and have steam billow from their bald head.

I always love it when the players on the sidelines are in the capes - it just says football to me.  

Is Sean McVay trying to be the tough guy by going without a hat?  I think he may regret that decision.  

Edited by Calvada
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

LOVE watching just before the ball is snapped and everyone on the line of scrimmage looks like a fire-breathing dragon.  All we need now is someone to take off their helmet and have steam billow from their bald head.

I see what you mean. It makes La Fleur look like he just had a cigarette.

Rats. Packers scored a touchdown.

3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Aikman sounds kind of like John Madden

I almost feel sorry for Joe and Troy.  For years, they were the #1 team and routinely got the marquee matchups.  Now they get the leftover dregs that are assigned to play on Monday nights.  Must be hard to hype meaningless games. 

10 hours ago, Calvada said:

Is Sean McVay trying to be the tough guy by going without a hat?  I think he may regret that decision.  

Remember Tom Coughlin and that playoff game in Green Bay.   No hat and his face was so red from the cold.   I was afraid his face was frozen.

• Like 1

Very early picks.  It's Week 16Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Cleveland, Tennessee, Minnesota, Baltimore, Kansas City, Detroit, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Miami, LA Rams, Tampa Bay, LA Chargers

There are about 7 or so games, maybe 8, that I plan to pick in terms of the spread and the over/under.  I probably will not do that until Wednesday or Thursday at the earliest

Multiple times in the Steelers Panthers game, Greg Gumbel called Mitch Trubisky, QB for the Steelers "Darnold", who is QB for the Panthers.

Wind chill this Saturday night in Pittsburgh is predicted to be -11 F. Combine that with the fact that it is Christmas Eve and I think there are going to be a lot of empty seats.

• Mind Blown 1

Doesn't help that Pittsburgh is 6-8.  Furthermore, a ton of (modern) Steelers fans weren't even born when Franco's moment happened. 

FWIW, 15 years removed, I don't think there was anyone on the roster that was alive.  The people that would be more tuned in and "pumped" up for it might skip since it might not be ideal weatherwise

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Furthermore, a ton of (modern) Steelers fans weren't even born when Franco's moment happened. 

For most Steeler fans, including those of us who are old enough to remember those seventies teams, Franco is not really a draw, regardless of the weather. It's seen as a made for TV moment for a national audience, not fans. And more than a few don't think hie has earned the honor. (Which has only been done twice in franchise history.)

6 hours ago, Carey said:

Very early picks.  It's Week 16Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Cleveland, Tennessee, Minnesota, Baltimore, Kansas City, Detroit, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Miami, LA Rams, Tampa Bay, LA Chargers

There are about 7 or so games, maybe 8, that I plan to pick in terms of the spread and the over/under.  I probably will not do that until Wednesday or Thursday at the earliest

You're really taking Vegas? 😱

9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Remember Tom Coughlin and that playoff game in Green Bay.   No hat and his face was so red from the cold. 

He had a hat on, but still couldn't feel his poor red, frozen face.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

For most Steeler fans, including those of us who are old enough to remember those seventies teams, Franco is not really a draw, regardless of the weather. It's seen as a made for TV moment for a national audience, not fans. And more than a few don't think hie has earned the honor. (Which has only been done twice in franchise history.)

Yeah, a lot of them think Terry's number should be retired before Franco's.

40 minutes ago, Popples said:

Yeah, a lot of them think Terry's number should be retired before Franco's.

I don't think so. Terry has had a contentious relationship with the team since he retired. Us old timers will never forget the fact that he chose not to attend Art Rooney's funeral, Chuck Noll's funeral, and Art Rooney's funeral.

Forget that guy, because he decided to forget those who played a role in making  him great.

Here are my picks for Week 16’s games 

Jaguars over Jets.  
Bills over Bears   
Browns over Saints.   
Titans over Texans.  
Chiefs over Seahawks.     
Vikings over Giants.  
Bengals over Patriots.   
Lions over Panthers.   
Ravens over Falcons.  
49ers over Commanders.   
Cowboys over Eagles.   
Steelers over Raiders.  
Dolphins over Packers.  
Rams over Broncos.  
Buccaneers over Cardinals.  
Chargers over Colts 

32 minutes ago, Court said:

Y'all help me. I can't figure out how to get this to show on my home page again. Updates always befuddle me. I'm missing the "home" button as well. 

It’s under interests and hobbies on the main page (at the bottom), then you get to the sports page from clicking on that. It took me forever to figure it out as well. 

• Thanks 1

I'll respond to why I picked Vegas later.  To be honest, had I waited until later to pick the Week 16 games, I definitely would have forgone picking the Steelers/Raiders game (which I was thinking of doing yesterday while leaning toward Pittsburgh for the obvious).

I also didn't get a chance to reply to the discussion of Steelers retiring numbers.  To be brief, I actually share the take of someone in the business on that.

The Steelers were actually planning to honor Franco on Saturday (not Sunday), with the anniversary date being this Friday.  I don't know what to add that's not already going to be said & that hasn't already been said.  Naturally, I echo all of their statements.  Not what I was planning on learning this morning.

• Hugs 1
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

I don't think so. Terry has had a contentious relationship with the team since he retired. Us old timers will never forget the fact that he chose not to attend Art Rooney's funeral, Chuck Noll's funeral, and Art Dan Rooney's funeral.

Forget that guy, because he decided to forget those who played a role in making  him great.

I have to agree.  Bradshaw was a great player.  But as former player?  Eh not so much.

39 minutes ago, Carey said:

Not what I was planning on learning this morning.

Terrible news to see when I turned my computer on at work.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

The Steelers are planning to retire his number this coming Sunday - it's too bad he won't be there to see it.

Just absurd that any player of any team who is deserving of having their number retired has to wait almost fifty years.  You kind of know if they're one of your greats a little sooner than that.  Damn shame he didn't get to experience it at freaking age 72.

Not being a Steelers fan, for me as a Penn State alum, I always think of Franco Harris as one of the Nittany Lion greats.

1 hour ago, crimsongrl said:

At the top right its the quote icon. 🗨️

I don't see any quote icon.  I always got here via "follows."  With the new update, going there brings me to the thread, but it takes me to the very first post, every single time. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I always got here via "follows."  With the new update, going there brings me to the thread, but it takes me to the very first post, every single time. 

This is a reported bug. That follows page is broken, and it's been added to the list of things to fix.

For now the work around is once it brings you to the first page, you can back out into the Sports topic and you'll see this topic is still Bold because it didn't bring you the newest post. You can then click on the NFL Thread topic and it will bring you to the last unread post.

11 hours ago, Court said:

Y'all help me. I can't figure out how to get this to show on my home page again. Updates always befuddle me. I'm missing the "home" button as well. 

Unfortunately, the home page won't show followed topics or sub forums for us, only the main forum which is Interest and Hobbies in this case. This isn't a bug. It's the way this version of the software works. I've been on the test version of this new look for so long that I forgot that I used to be able to just click right on Sports from the home page. I got used to this new way, but it took a while. 

Once it's fixed, the Follows view meowmommy mentioned is a pretty good way to bring you directly this or any other topic that disappeared from the home page. 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Just absurd that any player of any team who is deserving of having their number retired has to wait almost fifty years.  You kind of know if they're one of your greats a little sooner than that.  Damn shame he didn't get to experience it at freaking age 72.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are basically an organization that zigs while everyone else zags.  There are several examples, but to get to the point, they don't retire numbers.  Instead, they will not re-issue a number from a great

• Useful 1

On to the week 16 picks:

Jaguars* vs Jets
Falcons vs Ravens*
Panthers* vs Lions
Chiefs* vs Seahawks
Saints* vs Browns
Texans* vs Titans
Bengals* vs Patriots
Giants vs Vikings*
Bills* vs Bears
Commanders vs 49ers*
Eagles vs Cowboys* (this pick is all about seeding)
Raiders vs Steelers
Dolphins vs Packers
Broncos vs Rams
Buccaneers vs Cardinals
Chargers vs Colts

Edited by Lamb18
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

However....this does not appear to include redzone. So looks like Sunday ticket and red zone will be split up.  

I have to pay extra if I want the DirecTV version of Red Zone, the one with Andrew Siciliano.  The league's version, the one with Scott Hanson, is part of my cable subscription. 

If NFL Network and RedZone would be packaged as part of the deal, would we have to subscribe to YouTube TV to get them?  However, I'm assuming whatever deal the league signs would be a standalone product.

7 minutes ago, meowmommy said:
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

However....this does not appear to include redzone. So looks like Sunday ticket and red zone will be split up.  

I have to pay extra if I want the DirecTV version of Red Zone, the one with Andrew Siciliano.  The league's version, the one with Scott Hanson, is part of my cable subscription. 

If NFL Network and RedZone would be packaged as part of the deal, would we have to subscribe to YouTube TV to get them?  However, I'm assuming whatever deal the league signs would be a standalone product.

I might have to re-read the article again, but I don't see where it's a sure thing NFLN and RZ are a sure thing/automatic.  I sorta hope not, at least for 2023

4 hours ago, Carey said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers are basically an organization that zigs while everyone else zags. 

It's a shame they didn't do this sooner, but I'm sure they would've if there was a known health concern, but still, why wait?  Let these guys enjoy the honor sooner rather than later.  RIP Franco.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Bret Michaels eulogizing Franco Harris on Twitter was not something I saw coming.

I’m still surprised that Franco was only 22 when he made The Immaculate Reception.  Was he a rookie?  

Yes, he was a rookie. 

42 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It's a shame they didn't do this sooner, but I'm sure they would've if there was a known health concern, but still, why wait?  Let these guys enjoy the honor sooner rather than later.  RIP Franco.  

They were doing it as close to the anniversary as possible. This had been in the works for quite some time. The NFL even gifted them the Raiders. 

• Useful 5
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

This is a reported bug. That follows page is broken, and it's been added to the list of things to fix.

For now the work around is once it brings you to the first page, you can back out into the Sports topic and you'll see this topic is still Bold because it didn't bring you the newest post. You can then click on the NFL Thread topic and it will bring you to the last unread post.

Unfortunately, the home page won't show followed topics or sub forums for us, only the main forum which is Interest and Hobbies in this case. This isn't a bug. It's the way this version of the software works. I've been on the test version of this new look for so long that I forgot that I used to be able to just click right on Sports from the home page. I got used to this new way, but it took a while. 

Once it's fixed, the Follows view meowmommy mentioned is a pretty good way to bring you directly this or any other topic that disappeared from the home page. 

Thanks!

I used to be able to click the three lines (I think) and it would bring me to my forum page. Will that be back or is there another way besides clicking the back button? 

5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Yeah I guess there are two different Redzones. I just get it with Sunday ticket.

I don't see nfln going to youtube. I assume Redzone wnd nflnetwork will be separate .  Hopefully they'll have a redzone option though with Sunday ticket like they do now. 

Deal is not finalized though.