Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

ALways a fun sight to see : Brady cursing on the sideline in a losing effort.

I actually respected that outburst. It shows Brady's competitive spirit and that he hates to lose. The mind of a champion.

But I couldn't believe NBC kept showing Brady's clip. It was obvious that he was dropping f-bomb after f-bomb.

And I'm not a Patriots fan, but I think they'll make it to the Super Bowl. Unless the Broncos find a way to win at Foxborough

It's a shame that one bad decision can change someone's life forever. I hope that Ray Rice learns from this ordeal and can move on. I'm not condoning domestic violence but it seems as if he took responsibility from the beginning and had nothing to hide, and is now in counseling and trying to make himself a better person. I have to admire him for that, and for his wife for staying strong and not withering from the media lashing.

The only thing is that I doubt Ray Rice's knock-out punch and elevator drag represented the first time he ever hit Janay. But I didn't know he was receiving counseling. That's good to know.

Edited by topanga

I actually respected that outburst. It shows Brady's competitive spirit and that he hates to lose. The mind of a champion.

But I couldn't believe NBC kept showing Brady's clip. It was obvious that he was dropping f-bomb after f-bomb.

And I'm not a Patriots fan, but I think they'll make it to the Super Bowl. Unless the Broncos find a way to win at Foxborough

The only thing is that I doubt Ray Rice's knock-out punch and elevator drag represented the first time he ever hit Janay. But I didn't know he was receiving counseling. That's good to know.

Me too. Teams are good at sweeping things under the rug, so who knows how many times that's happened before? The only difference between Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs is that Suggs' domestic violence incident wasn't on video (and that he's a better player than Rice is right now). You can do the crime, you just can't have it on Vine.

• Love 3

If it is true, it still won't matter much. The court of public opinion, which believes there's no such thing as repentance or rehabilitation and every transgression is deserving of a life sentence, will not allow for any team to touch him. Maybe next season but I doubt it.

Ray Lewis and Michael Vick came back and played again after being involved in a murder investigation and convicted of dogfighting. 

Ron Artest attacked a fan in the stands and came back and had a long career afterwards

Latrell Spreewell choked his own coach and came back and played for many more years. 

Ray Lewis and Michael Vick came back and played again after being involved in a murder investigation and convicted of dogfighting. 

Ron Artest attacked a fan in the stands and came back and had a long career afterwards

Latrell Spreewell choked his own coach and came back and played for many more years. 

In Ron Artest's defense, the fan threw beer on him. LOL

Donte Stallworth was convicted of DUI manslaughter in 2009 and played for another several years.

And Ben Roethlisberger is still playing ... oh, never mind. Rape charges were dropped. Both times!  He did nothing wrong  *sarcasm*

• Love 1

Ray Lewis pled guilty to obstruction of justice. By NFL standards, that's almost good behaviour. Vick did his time, and was released. Though I think he should never have been given another chance, given his the supposed role of NFL players as role models.

Rice has indeed done no worse than many other players who are still in the league. It's just that, no one made a fuss about any of the others, so why should the NFL? A lot of the blame for the double standard has to fall on the media and public opinion, rather than the league, at least initially.

The NFL told the St. Louis Police Officers' Association to pound sand over their demand that the Rams who put their hands up in the "Don't Shoot" display should be disciplined.  Good for the NFL, for a change.

I think if the POA had kept their mouths shut, the NFL would have fined them.   But after being told they were wrong after the Ray Rice media blow  up, they are not going to let anyone tell them how to discipline players.

Plus the "spokesman" who demanded that  was fired from the PD for lying on reports.   Yeah, when an asshole like that demands you act, telling him to pound sand is the nicest thing you can do.

• Love 2

My husband, a Jets fan, works third shift so he never gets to watch MNF. In solidarity I usually root for the Jets when they are on TV.

I hate staying up past 11 but usually find myself doing so whether I'm watching sports or not. Tonight, as I am dead tired, I told him before he went to bed that if the Jets are in the game, I'll stay up to the end so would be late coming to bed.

His reply? "So you'll be in bed by nine then?" AWW.

• Love 3

Ray Lewis pled guilty to obstruction of justice. By NFL standards, that's almost good behaviour. Vick did his time, and was released. Though I think he should never have been given another chance, given his the supposed role of NFL players as role models.

Rice has indeed done no worse than many other players who are still in the league. It's just that, no one made a fuss about any of the others, so why should the NFL? A lot of the blame for the double standard has to fall on the media and public opinion, rather than the league, at least initially.

I think a big fuss has been made about other players, they still get more chances. You certainly can't say no one complained about Michael Vick and the dogfighting.

Ray Rice will play in the league again. Just not this year. And I don't think a year out of the league, whether league mandated or because no team wants to touch him, is such a bad punishment for what he did.

• Love 1

I also would have told the STL Police Association to pound sand.  As mentioned a police spokesman there has been caught TWICE falsifying police reports.  Wouldn't believe that guy if he told me the sky was blue and that water was wet.  These players did nothing wrong.  If you don't want to see such demonstrations, don't shoot unarmed guys multiple times, mmmkay?

If the Jets wanted to run this sort of offense, shouldn't they have just kept Tim Tebow?  I mean, even he could probably complete 7 passes in a game.  Maybe.  :)

• Love 8

I think if the POA had kept their mouths shut, the NFL would have fined them.   But after being told they were wrong after the Ray Rice media blow  up, they are not going to let anyone tell them how to discipline players.

Plus the "spokesman" who demanded that  was fired from the PD for lying on reports.   Yeah, when an asshole like that demands you act, telling him to pound sand is the nicest thing you can do.

I see no possible way that Goodell would've fined the 5 players.

Oh my god -- there would be such a massive backlash if that happened. It would be worse than Ray Rice.

The commissioner siding with the cops over the players for something innocuous?

As long as it wasn't during the game, it's okay.

They fine them for not having their socks pulled up DURING the game.   They fine them for wearing the wrong color shoes.    Of course they would have fined them for making an unapproved gesture during team introductions.

Hahaha! and duh...They still had FOUR more years left on the agreement...

Buffalo Bills pull the Plug on Toronto series.

Following a 34-31 overtime loss to Atlanta last year, Brandon and Bills players complained about giving away home-field advantage by playing in front of small and relatively indifferent crowds in Toronto.

This is exactly why I don't want an NFL team in Toronto. As much as I would love to actually have team close by, it would do a major disservice to the team itself. And it has nothing to do with the team itself - the Raider suck this year but the stadiums are still filled and the fans are still cheering (or trying to).

Probably has to do with the number of games/teams they need for Thursday games and making it fair to everyone

Every team is supposed to have one Thursday game on a short week.That would cover 16 games. There are 18 slots to fill however for Thursday night games, they have 16 weeks plus two extra games on Thanksgiving. They don't play a week 17 regular season game on Thursday. That means you need 36 teams to play those games, there are only 32 teams in the league.

However throw out the week one game, its on Thursday but its not really a short week, its coming off a preseason where most teams finish a week or so before that game, so they have plenty of time to get ready for week one on a Thursday. Therefore, Seattle/GB have two Thursday night games, the opening night one plus they both played a short week Thursday night game. That leaves really 34 slots to fill of games played on short weeks.

That means you need two teams for one extra Thursday game. You give them two Thursday games but give them a week in between so its not a short week the second week, so then you don't have two teams playing games twice on short weeks

Edited by DrSpaceman

Why was Dez Bryant throwing a shit fit after being up by three touchdowns? I had the game on mute but was he seriously pissed that he didn't get a TD and they had a FG? Guy needs to relax.

Why was Dez Bryant throwing a shit fit after being up by three touchdowns? I had the game on mute but was he seriously pissed that he didn't get a TD and they had a FG? Guy needs to relax.

I didn't see that part but I think it was like last year, when the media was all over Dez for "yelling" and being "angry" at his teammates. He wasn't angry, he was trying to encourage them, boost them up, motivate them, etc. It just looks like he's really angry, pissed off. I could be wrong though.

I thought that the end of the Indy/Cleveland game was a nailbiter. That was very tough loss for Cleveland. I think that they defense played very great, they played their hearts out but at the end it wasn't enough because they didn't get much help from Hoyer/the offense. Plus Billy Cundriff missing that Field Goal, really hurt things as well.

Also. even though Carolina has been playing terribly lately, I am glad that they won against the Saints today.

What a mess, indeed.  It got so bad the crowd was yelling for RGIII.  Unfortunately, the first thing he did when he went in was to get sacked.  It'll be interesting to see who Gruden starts next week though.  I feel kinda bad for both quarterbacks because it's not just them who suck.

• Love 1

Yeah that RGIII concentrating on his brand, not his play, and not preparing properly for games has really caused the Redskins Defense to not even pretend to cover the Rams.   Oh wait, that's right RGIII plays offense not defense.

Same thing with Manziel, there was a big deal today about what time he showed up at the stadium.   He's the back up.   What time did other back up QBs show up at their games?   

• Love 1

San Francico 49ers 2014 season: Born, 5 September. Died, 7 December.

NFL franchise ineptitude has a new west coast headquarters. It has crossed the SF/OAK Bay Bridge and settled on the west side of the bay.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1

San Francico 49ers 2014 season: Born, 5 September. Died, 7 December.

NFL franchise ineptitude has a new west coast headquarters. It has crossed the SF/OAK Bay Bridge and settled on the west side of the bay.

It died on Thanksgiving, actually.  Harbaugh is done, don't care where he goes.  And Kaepernick might be done, too, especially if he doesn't improve his off-field attitude.

• Love 1

We were on life support for sure, but still alive for a possible playoff run with a little help......not any more.

Agreed about Harbaugh and Kaep. Jim's a good coach and will land on his feet elsewhere, not so sure about Kaep.

I am happy for the Raiders, though. The long painful search for a quarterback might just be over. Carr looks to have the right stuff and should prosper.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1

I have a question for the long-time NFL fans--has it always taken so long for an official to throw out a flag for a defensive penalty? I've been a serious football fan for only a few years, but throwing out a late flag for defensive PI or defensive holding used to be fairly uncommon. Now, in almost every game, there will be at least one late penalty flag thrown in the secondary. Do the officials really need that much time to decide if there was pass interference or defensive holding? To me, it seems that the officials are becoming too sensitive to the yelling crowd --or the demonstrative wide receivers.

It died on Thanksgiving, actually.  Harbaugh is done, don't care where he goes.  And Kaepernick might be done, too, especially if he doesn't improve his off-field attitude.

Goes to show how much QBs can suffer when flash over substance is treated as some sort of genuine star quality. Kaepernick has the physical tools, but doesn't seem to be improving at all. He was crowned as the next great QB on the back of half a decent season, when they reached the Super Bowl. RGIII seems to have gone the same way (albeit with more injuries). Geno Smith and EJ Manuel have stunk up the joint. What you need in a QB, honestly, is boring predictability and calmness.

Brady, Rodgers and Manning all have that (sure, Rodgers can run, but it's a last resort). Luck has it. The guys on the next tier, Stafford, Flacco, Rivers, they're all relatively dull as well. They have more ups and downs, and can go from the sublime to the ridiculous a bit more, but their style of play is that of relatively static pocket passers. But you know what? Joe Flacco has played in one of football's most physical divisions for six years, and he's never missed a game. The Redskins would kill for that kind of boring predictability, right now.

• Love 2

I'd say Brees has it too, Danny. it's been a down year for him, for sure, but I'd put him in that top tier also. And what of the guy who's name never seems to come up in these discussions, Russ Wilson? Yes, he has a ring already (as does Flacco), but I wouldn't call him top tier just yet. I'm seeing in Wilson what I saw in the development of  Tarkenton, Griese, Staubach and Young. All were "runners" who successfully made the transition to "scramblers" who would run to buy more time to complete the pass. Only after going through all their progressions/check downs would they tuck it and take off. I'm seeing Wilson start to do the same. I agree with you that "boring" pocket passers are by and large more successful, but the QB's mentioned above were just as much so. The scramblers can do it, the runners in the mold of Cunningham, Vick, Tebow, and Newton, cannot. Kaep and RG III are still runners at heart and are having a tough time making the transition. I think both have the tools and potential to do it. Kaep needs a QB whisperer to help him better see the whole field and RG III in addition has proven to be brittle and needs to learn that sliding is his friend.

Edited by Snowprince

Oh goodie, Favre is in Green Bay today so all the sports channel are slobbering all over themselves about it.   Just saw the ESPN interview where he is trying to soooo hard to act like he totally does not expect to get into the HOF on the first ballot.   I really, really really hope he doesn't.    Serve this egomaniac right.   Sadly I know that is unlikely, but it is December so I will keep believing in miracles for a while.

• Love 2

Oh, man. Every time Atlanta gets close, they give up a big play. The Packers are gonna be hard to beat for the rest of the year. I'm rooting against them only because I want the Cowboys and Seahawks to move up in the playoff picture.

I see why old Rodg doesn't throw many picks. His passes shoot out of his hand like lasers. It's rare to see one float in the air.

Why didn't Favre come to the game. Would he have been too much of a distraction? Or does he simply hate to see Rodgers do well?

Bills playing the Packers next week? Should be brutal. The bills have such a tough stretch with playing the Browns, Broncos, Packets, and the Pats again. Can you say bye bye to the playoffs?

Glad that Atlanta made a game of it. Even more glad the Raiders beat the Niners.

Atlanta played much better than I expected in the 2nd half.

Julio Jones almost ruined my huge fantasy lead.  Still won but was much closer than I thought.  I was going against Rodgers and Jones and they both need huge games to make it close.  They did that, actually could have lost with a few plays going another way.

At this point though, after a whole season fo ups and downs and this and that, we are at a not suprising place in the NFL :  Its GB and Seattle in the NFC and Denver and NE in the AFC.  I know seattle is down in the standings but they are playing better than anyone but GB in the NFC right now.  Most likely some combination of those teams will be in the SB

• Love 1

I'd say Brees has it too, Danny. it's been a down year for him, for sure, but I'd put him in that top tier also. And what of the guy who's name never seems to come up in these discussions, Russ Wilson? Yes, he has a ring already (as does Flacco), but I wouldn't call him top tier just yet. I'm seeing in Wilson what I saw in the development of  Tarkenton, Griese, Staubach and Young. All were "runners" who successfully made the transition to "scramblers" who would run to buy more time to complete the pass. Only after going through all their progressions/check downs would they tuck it and take off. I'm seeing Wilson start to do the same. I agree with you that "boring" pocket passers are by and large more successful, but the QB's mentioned above were just as much so. The scramblers can do it, the runners in the mold of Cunningham, Vick, Tebow, and Newton, cannot. Kaep and RG III are still runners at heart and are having a tough time making the transition. I think both have the tools and potential to do it. Kaep needs a QB whisperer to help him better see the whole field and RG III in addition has proven to be brittle and needs to learn that sliding is his friend.

Yeah, Brees has that quality too, though this year he's a bit too exciting for Saints fans, I think. Way too many risks taken that resulted in turnovers.

But in all the excitement about these running QBs, it's often overlooked that running in the NFL gets you hit. Hard. And QBs are generally not built to take that punishment. RGIII hasn't been the same since he got squashed by Haloti Ngata at the end of a run. NFL defenders are too athletic and too fast to let them get away with it like they do in college. So they have to develop more. Russell Wilson has managed to do that (though I think he's so lucky to have Marshawn Lynch to hand the ball off to), and the other guys you named all played a game that was still about the pass first, but they were able to extend plays to give their WRs more time to get open. As much as I can't stand Roethlisberger, he does that well too. And while extending plays has its own risks, in terms of opening yourself up to bigger hits, QBs will always be safer looking to pass than they are tucking the ball and running, even if it doesn't excite fans and media quite as much.

Cam Newton is a decent pocket passer, which is why he's having more success (that, plus Kelvin Benjamin is a giant). He doesn't have to even look for an opportunity to scramble on every play. But he still needs to get better at it. I honestly don't think that the run first QB will ever be a prolonged success in the NFL. You've got to teach guys how to pass the ball, before you do anything else with them.

So there's all the hype starting now about next year's crop of QBs. Mariota, Winston, Hundley etc. I think all of them are pass first guys, but with athletic ability. Like Luck. Those are the sort of QBs I expect to become the archetype in the next few years. Even the pocket passers in the league right now can scramble occasionally, if the space opens up.

Best loss of the season for the Falcons..keep that play up we should make the playoffs as strange as that seems. (Possibly win a game? Who knows) Thank goodness for Julio Jones. 

Ryan was solid too..I'd say (since QBs were being discussed) that he's an underrated player/QB...the lack of a strong defense/bad coaching has hurt his stance I think.

I'm biased of course though. 

It figures as soon as I turn the game off that the Falcons would get back into it. Not that I was pulling for them, but I hate watching lopsided games. Such is life. I'm not necessarily a Packer fan, but wouldn't mind GB being in the Superbowl since Arizona appears to have lost their mojo with Palmer being out for the season. I just don't trust their defense against a team like Seattle. Heck I don't trust their defense against any team lol.

Although I watch every Superbowl, it's a lot less fun when I don't have a team to pull for. That would be the case if it is down to Seattle vs New England. I guess go Patriots. Woot!

I read on Twitter that Cam Newton has two traverse fractures in his back and will be kept overnight for observation.

That's the latest being reported on the local news here in Charlotte. I know the intersection where the accident occurred, and I can see how it happened - apparently it's fourth worst in terms of accidents in Charlotte.  It could have been much worse.  Reports are the other driver also suffered "non-life threatening injuries" but was also transported to a local hospital.

Thankfully it wasn't so serious.   Looks like he was wearing a seatbelt.   or as one comment I read said "His truck protected him better than his O line."

My first thought on hearing it on twitter -- no, it's a hoax right.   Nope, this time it was real that an athlete was in a car accident.   But he did not break both legs.

Cam is out this week and Derek Anderson is starting against Tampa Bay. 

Intersestingly, Anderson also started week one vs Tampa this year and it was one of the 4 wins so far for Carolina

My guess is Cam misses a week and is back next week. 

NFL conduct policy out, 6 game suspension minimum now for felony cases basically and they set up an independent review panel for the process.  HOWEVER, Goodell STILL retains power to hear appeals of the review panel.  I just don't get that decision, why does he even want that power?  Just leave it to someone else.  Make it an independent review of the appeals, just leave yourself out of it so you don't get into more situations like with Ray Rice. 

I like Goodell less and less as time goes on.  A team in London, a team in LA, expanding the playoffs, 3 things that absolutely no fan at all cares about that the league is pusing hard for.......10 billion dollar business and they still need more money

• Love 1

Deadspin had a fun article showing the Manziel Effect.

Before Manziel was named starter, most of the country was going to see the Packers/Bills game.

But as soon as Manziel was named starter, the whole country is seeing Bengals/Browns, which like the Packers game, is being shown on Fox.

It's even being shown on local  TV here in the SF Bay Area.

http://deadspin.com/heres-what-the-johnny-manziel-effect-looks-like-for-fox-1670146808