Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I'm always a little sad on Super Bowl Sunday - the end of football for another season.  

I don't know why, but I always think America the Beautiful sounds best when sung by a children's choir.  

Reba's rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner was okay, but it's a song of triumph and I didn't think she got enough of that into it.  It doesn't have to reach Whitney Houston level but it needed more oomph.  At least she didn't drag it out; there's never any reason it should take more than 2 minutes to sing it.  

Let's get this game going already.   Pouring my first drink to deal with 3+ hours of Tony Romo.  What's the over/under on how many I will need?

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
Just now, Calvada said:

Pouring my first drink to deal with 3+ hours of Tony Romo.  What's the over/under on how many I will need?

Hah, you'd better ask Mojoween.  She's probably already started...

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
1 minute ago, Calvada said:

Pouring my first drink to deal with 3+ hours of Tony Romo.  What's the over/under on how many I will need?

I came into the game with three Bloody Mary's under my belt, yet just the sound of his voice irritated me.  Drink up!

• Like 4

Someone said on Twitter that all of the Walter Payton nominees should have to sing “America the Beautiful” like a children’s chorus and that’s all I can think about.

I don’t understand CBS’s hyperventilating about “the first Super Bowl in Las Vegas ZOMG!!!!1!1!!1!” like they aren’t playing on the streets, guys.  It’s a big stadium just like all the other big stadiums.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Calvada said:

At least she didn't drag it out; there's never any reason it should take more than 2 minutes to sing it.  

I already love you. As someone who has played the national anthem, the tempo is supposed to be brisk. Bombs bursting in air and all that. It drives me up the wall when they sing it like a ballad. 

I'll concede on drawing out the land of the free; home of the brave. You do it right, it can really resonate. 

• Like 7

Romo talking about how Brock Purdy will have massive nerves starting is cracking me up. Like Romo has any fucking clue. I’d give like…10 bucks to a Swiftie who could sneak into the booth and shove a sock in his face. 

Fumbles hurt. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Hah, you'd better ask Mojoween.  She's probably already started...

Ha!  Unfortunately I’m not a big drinker, but he certainly makes me want to start.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:
6 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I came into the game with three Bloody Mary's under my belt, yet just the sound of his voice irritated me.  Drink up!

Save yourself from some agony & watch the game on Nickelodeon. There is no Tony Romo there to deal with.

• Like 1

I keep forgetting I'm supposed to watch the $7M commercials.  I'm so used to muting/skipping past them.

3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Romo talking about how Brock Purdy will have massive nerves starting is cracking me up. Like Romo has any fucking clue.

Now he says CMC has nerves.  Remind us how many SBs you played, Tony?

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I liked Tony's analysis about how coaches know fumbles are crucial.  Really, Tony?  Turnovers are a big deal - who knew?

If I could sync the Kevin Harlan radio broadcast with the TV, I would.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That was actually a good series on D for SF.

When is Taylor Swift going to rig the election? Is she there yet? (joking)

According to some idiot on a local FB group I belong to Taylor is going to steal the mic from Usher.

• LOL 6
(edited)
3 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That was actually a good series on D for SF.

When is Taylor Swift going to rig the election? Is she there yet? (joking)

They showed her rocking along to Post Malone so she's there for sure. (Sorry...missed the "joking")

Edited by Red Bridey
Clarification
7 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

Well, obviously Christian McCaffrey has been blackmailed by the NFL to help make sure the Chiefs win....

He's in on the conspiracy!  

• LOL 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Magog said:

Save yourself from some agony & watch the game on Nickelodeon. There is no Tony Romo there to deal with.

I'm at an interim stage of reconfiguration, and right now my office TV is not hooked up to my satellite receiver; I have to watch on network apps via a Fire stick.  I don't watch Nickelodeon, so don't have that app downloaded (assuming there is one) and am not going to mess with it for just this game.  It's good to know a Romo-free option exists, but I just looked it up and the Nickelodeon version has animation and commentary by Spongebob characters, so that doesn't seem much of an improvement.

Edited by Bastet
4 minutes ago, Calvada said:

He's in on the conspiracy!  

Of course he is.  His fiancée is a famous beauty queen/influencer.  She recruited him. J/K

A star QB is getting tackled and I'm not seeing flags.   I'm shocked I tell you just shocked.

28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I don’t understand CBS’s hyperventilating about “the first Super Bowl in Las Vegas ZOMG!!!!1!1!!1!” like they aren’t playing on the streets, guys.  It’s a big stadium just like all the other big stadiums.

I think it’s about how most sports, including the NFL, felt about gambling, and now they’re playing the Super Bowl in the gambling capital of the world. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

A whole commercial making fun of Arnold’s accent?  Mmkay.

Considering I spent the 80’s eating Nerds like it was my job, using Irene Cara to advertise them in 2024 seems  just right.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

So far the game is boring and the commercials are baffling.

One year I was at a SB party and someone suggested that we do a shot during any commercial when we didn't know what the commercial was for but we quickly realized we'd all be passed out mid-2nd quarter.  

Best SB commercial ever was actually not created for the SB - the Mean Joe Greene Coke commercial.  It premiered on Monday Night Football.  I once won a bet knowing that!  

2 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm glad they took the 3 and didn't go for it. Too many coaches get up their own ass and outcoach themselves *coughLionscough*.

Matt LaFleur says "hold my beer" to the Lions.  

• Like 1

I was feeling it with the pause in the Dove Hardknock Life commercial, as a girl who refused to swim because of how my body looked in a swim suit. Chris Walken was ..okay. 

But this game is kinda snoozy, or rather, just like any typical NFL game when I can’t watch red zone. 

• Like 1