Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I remember not too long ago (though it has been a minute as it was before Burrow got hurt) how Colin Cowherd said that the Chiefs would be fine facing the Ravens, but how they do not want to have anything to do with the Bengals.  That is fair since they're the only team that's had their number.

Can't wait to see what he says today & this week.  Something I never got around to posting then was how Kansas City might be better off wanting to face a Bengals team with Burrow before facing a (super dangerous) Ravens team IN Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium.  I'm probably more familiar than most, but that is not a place where you want to play a football game.  Especially since it's their first AFC Title Game as the home team (Baltimore).

Nonetheless, I still will double down saying that KC has a better chance at winning there than Buffalo would have

10 minutes ago, Carey said:

Nonetheless, I still will double down saying that KC has a better chance at winning there than Buffalo would have

I think KC will have more explosive plays than Buffalo would have.  And they will need them against that Ravens defense.  But I don't think KC's defense will be able to handle Baltimore's offense.   I do look for a high scoring game.  I think it was Joe Buck who said during Saturday's game that it doesn't get said enough but M&T stadium is not an easy place to play when you are opposing the Ravens. That crowd is going to be super loud.  How many false starts did we see Houston's offense  have Saturday?

There must be something about Brady.  I never stopped loving Peyton (who obvs did not have the same success) and I’m not anywhere near hating Patrick Mahomes (I was pissed yesterday because I was rooting hard for the Bills.  Kansas City winning does not anger me outside of that).

• Like 1
(edited)

Yeah it's not going to be pretty.  For what it's worth, I remember how back in the early part of the previous decade the Steelers were the last team to beat the Ravens in their place.  This was 2010, and then they did it again in 2012.  Probably helps that it's division football.

Then enter Manning & Brady, both of whom destroyed the Ravens at M&T Bank stadium during their games there.

I still could see things going either way, but Kansas City are the champs for a reason.  It helped that they played at Orchard Park yesterday where as Houston played (the Browns) in Houston.

BTW, I couldn't care less about the Bills.

One more thing about Kansas City is that they are familiar with Jackson.  Sure Lamar has more to work with in the past, but this will be the best Chiefs defense since 2018 he's faced.  Helps that Andy & Patrick aren't rookies

Edited by Carey
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Come sit at my table.  My intense dislike for them of course stems from the fact they are my team's division rival but even without that I could never root for them.  John Harbaugh used to have such a smug look on his face that that alone would have made me dislike his team.  I am not a Lamar Jackson fan. I simply cannot find one reason to root for them.  Even if they were playing Dallas I couldn't root for them. 

I actively dislike them during the regular season, but I gotta support a division team in the AFCC.

Funny enough, John Harbaugh never bothered me.  I despise Jim, but John is okay.  He's a good coach. 

And for some reason I don't like Lamar either.  I was discussing with hubby yesterday, that I can't figure out why.  He's a good QB, seems like an OK guy, and has done nothing like past Cravens (assault, accessory to murder).  It's mystifying to me why I don't like him.

17 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Funny enough, John Harbaugh never bothered me.  I despise Jim, but John is okay.  He's a good coach. 

You and me both.  He got a slap on the wrist and ended up with a National Championship.

19 minutes ago, roamyn said:

And for some reason I don't like Lamar either.  I was discussing with hubby yesterday, that I can't figure out why.  He's a good QB, seems like an OK guy, and has done nothing like past Cravens (assault, accessory to murder).  It's mystifying to me why I don't like him.

I can't put my finger on it either.  And it's not because he is a good QB who beats my team sometimes.  I like Joe Burrow.  I even liked Flacco this year.  I think Stroud is going to be great.  But I just don't like Lamar.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Helps that Andy & Patrick aren't rookies

True but they are used to playing this game at Arrowhead. Does Chief's Kingdom travel well? Something that always benefits Pittsburgh when they play in Baltimore is there is plenty of Steeler Nation there to cheer them on. 

22 minutes ago, Johannah said:

So, amongst all the Ravens hatred here, all I have to say is:

GO RAVENS!!!

I have a former coworker who called a current coworker to brag about the Ravens.  My coworker said he was real obnoxious about it.  It should be noted the former coworker only likes "his Ravens" when they are winning.  @Johannah you go right on supporting your team.  They have played well this year and earned that home field advantage for this game. I might not like them but I can still appreciate how good a team they are.

• Like 3

There are people from my hometown that sorta disapprove of any "positive" words to the rival.  I guess I get that, but previously. 

To be fair & honest, given how several want their head coach fired, I'd probably sit this one out when it comes to respecting one's rival.  As far as disliking a team & respecting a team, it's possible to do both.

4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

So if it can't be the Lions, I'm totally rooting for the Chiefs to win their third championship.

Same here.  I have issues with the Chiefs, but around the misappropriation of Native American imagery; the team itself, I don't mind watching.  And often truly enjoy watching Mahomes (on the field; I have no idea what he's doing off it, as I don't use social media and don't consume much traditional sports media anymore).  Plus, I've always had an odd post-Eagles soft spot for Andy Reid, despite him coaching that division rival for many years.

7 hours ago, blueray said:

I came to the conclusion it wouldn't have mattered. If he made the kick. There was still a minute left. KC would have likely just scored again. And even if they didn't, the Bills never win in overtime. So we just would have been delaying the inevitable :(.

That's what I thought was going to happen -- I figured he'd make the FG, but then KC had so much time they'd either score to win or at least easily kick their own FG to send it to OT, and then the Bills would once again do the Bills thing and lose there. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have issues with the Chiefs, but around the misappropriation of Native American imagery;

With them playing in Baltimore at least we don't have to see that.

• Like 2
(edited)

I just like seeing new teams win. It’s fun to watch and nice for the long time suffering fans. The Chiefs winning all the time isn’t interesting to me, and it seems like they have gotten more whinier with the refs since they won their second one. I’d even take the Niners winning at this point over seeing them win again this year.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I have a former coworker who called a current coworker to brag about the Ravens.  My coworker said he was real obnoxious about it.  It should be noted the former coworker only likes "his Ravens" when they are winning.  @Johannah you go right on supporting your team.  They have played well this year and earned that home field advantage for this game. I might not like them but I can still appreciate how good a team they are.

There are obnoxious and great fans for every team.  Some people, Ravens/Steelers fans were trying to have a conversation - comparing players - and this one Steelers fan just kept yelling, "SIX RINGS" so I walked away.  Everybody else was cordial.  Apparently winning Superbowls in the past meant that every Steelers player was better than any other player on any other team forever.  Didn't know the guy, it was just a bunch of people in a bar a few years ago. 

I don't hate any team.  I have a healthy dislike for the Steelers, but only because they are our rivals and I have a hard time rooting for them, but I wouldn't call it hatred.  Probably more for them than the Bengals or Browns, because they weren't as strong a rival until recently, so there's rivalry history.   I also don't like the Cowboys, but that's mostly against the media and their obsessive coverage and their owner.   I don't have any animosity against any player.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Yes!  Why is this?  I don't like him either, and I don't even know why...

Maybe I'm the problem...😑

2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Yes!  Why is this?  I don't like him either, and I don't even know why...

Maybe I'm the problem...😑

If you are the problem then so am I and @roamyn.  Maybe we can start support group. 😀

• Like 1
17 hours ago, roamyn said:

LOL  That's a low bar - at least he hasn't murdered anyone.  I know what you mean though, I don't know why I don't like him either.

For the life of me I don't know how the Colts managed to beat the Ravens this season.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

For the life of me I don't know how the Colts managed to beat the Ravens this season.

Any given Sunday.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

at least he hasn't murdered anyone. 

Or beat his wife in an elevator.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

at least he hasn't murdered anyone. 

Or beat his wife in an elevator.

Or became a suspect whose DUI charge killed someone.

22 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Any given Sunday.

What bluegirl147 said.  Also, Indianapolis finished with a winning record this year.  In addition, Anthony Richardson was still playing.  If the Cowboys can lose on a previous off week to a team that would've been golfing by now, AKA the Packers [whose 2011 squad's only loss in the regulation season was against a team that gave up & turned on their HC before his ouster shortly before being revealed as frauds]?  That's why they play the game!

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Last Monday there were two football games.  Today we have no football games.

I have no issues with Lamar in any way, but fuck the Ravens.

Do you think your dislike of the Ravens goes back the miscellaneous Super Bowl that your team somehow didn't win?

Because mine does.  

For what it's worth, whenever somebody this year pointed out that Llamar Jackson is something like 83-1 versus NFC teams, know that "1" was the Giants last season. Probably helped that they forced a bunch of turnovers that let them come back from trailing 20-10 in the fourth quarter, but a win is a win.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Since this thread has apparently become a "I hate the Ravens" outlet, I guess I'm leaving for awhile.

Go Ravens!

If it makes you feel better, I hate the Ravens slightly less than I hate the Chiefs.

• LOL 5
13 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

If it makes you feel better, I hate the Ravens slightly less than I hate the Chiefs.

For what it's worth, I think I was on an even smaller island than usual for the "people who didn't hate your team" group during 7 of their 9 super bowl appearances.

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Do you think your dislike of the Ravens goes back the miscellaneous Super Bowl that your team somehow didn't win?

I don’t know what you are talking about, there was no Super Bowl after the 2000 season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Johannah said:

Since this thread has apparently become a "I hate the Ravens" outlet, I guess I'm leaving for awhile.

Go Ravens!

Hi, from a Cowboys fan! Imagine how I feel year round, lol.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

If the Ravens weren't in the AFC North I probably wouldn't hate them.  I wouldn't like them but I wouldn't always root against them no matter who they play. And it hasn't helped that they have had some shall we say not so nice players. I'm not going to throw things in anger if they win the SB.  Like I did when Carolina lost to NE.  And I don't even like Carolina.  I was just already so over NE that I hated them winning yet again.   KC is getting close to me wanting to throw things when they win.

2 hours ago, Johannah said:

Go Ravens!

Speaking for the Giants fans, I'm not sure if it's we "hate" your team. It feels more like I don't forgive your team and do not wish it any future success.  I have no problem with Ravens fans. Baltimore fans are a pretty loyal bunch, and at least you all chose to root for the Baltimore team over the Washington team.

Now Washington... that's a team I will enthusiastically root against. 

• Like 2

See my Hierarchy of Hatred is 

Dallas

Baltimore

gap

Minnesota

LA Rams

Pittsburgh

biiiiiiiiig gap

Everyone Else

Like if Baltimore wins any of the next two games I actually may throw something.  I certainly did during that Super Bowl that never happened in January 2001.

12 minutes ago, Carey said:

I've never done that but I did break a TV remote when the Steelers were playing the Jets in a playoff game in 2004.  We were tied at 17 and late in the 4th quarter the Jets kicker missed two FGs that would have won it.  Steelers won in OT.  I beat that remote on the arm of the chair I was sitting in.  The year before was when I was throwing things when NE won the SB.  So between that and breaking a remote I decided I might be getting a little too upset about football games.  Now the worst I do is say well fuck and change the channel.  

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

See my Hierarchy of Hatred is 

Dallas

Baltimore

gap

Minnesota

LA Rams

Pittsburgh

biiiiiiiiig gap

Everyone Else

Like if Baltimore wins any of the next two games I actually may throw something.  I certainly did during that Super Bowl that never happened in January 2001.

I don't have anything against Minnesota but I agree with you about Dallas, Baltimore and the Rams.  On my list I would add KC. I don't hate NE anymore. Once they lost Brady I could tolerate them.  Same with GB.  Used to hate them but once Favre and then Rodgers was gone I don't mind them.  I rooted for them against Dallas and if they had beaten SF I would have been OK with that.

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Now Washington... that's a team I will enthusiastically root against. 

With Snyder gone I actually hope they do well.  The Steelers usually only play them ever four years.  Every Presidential election year. Which would be this year.

9 hours ago, Johannah said:

Go Ravens!

Even being a Baltimoron, I came to Ravens fandom late (for reasons I won't go into here), but I did get there.  Don't leave - just sit back and laugh at the haters.  That's what I'm doing and it makes me feel better. 

And really, I hate a lot of teams.  That also makes me feel better!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

For quite awhile, I used to feel the same way when people diss my team.  Not anymore.  Two of the main reasons is due to the fact that they aren't that great, and most important: it's not directed at me.  It's about the team and the fans as characters.  I'm okay with that

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Johannah said:

Go Ravens!

Awww don’t leave! I’m a Lakers fan and don’t really care about the haters because it comes with success. Ravens have been doing well so enjoy that. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Taylor Swift effect? Or the fact it was expected to be a good game?

Both.  The matchup against the same 2 teams in the 2022 Calendar year at Arrowhead was North of 40 Million.  The Taylor Swift effect helped get the total over 50 Million, but without it, the game was expected to do well.  Probably 45 Million but big ratings have been a thing in a sport were there's more interest in discussion for a schedule release than a hoops game with team coached by a guy that blew at least a quarter dozen 3-1 series leads

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Both.  The matchup against the same 2 teams in the 2022 Calendar year at Arrowhead was North of 40 Million.  The Taylor Swift effect helped get the total over 50 Million, but without it, the game was expected to do well. 

Exactly. If you're an NFL fan, this material bump in ratings is a really good thing for you and your sport. It's obviously a the rich getting richer situation, as the NFL is already by far the most popular thing on TV. Other sports are staring straight down some serious problems with the rapid deterioration of the regional sports networks, and how they're going to generate TV revenue going forward. The NFL on the other hand is in great shape and gets a weekly influx of new fans who became invested in the Chiefs because they are fans of one player's girlfriend. Heh.

The majority of the Kelce/Swift ratings bump is likely temporary. Kelce is 34. If the Chiefs manage to win their next two games, there's a heck of a chance he'll just retire. 

Too bad Tepper is worse than Haslam.  At least the latter took over a dumpster fire which aren't as bad I guess.  Carolina was actually good before David replaced Richardson

Mojoween, you just reminded me of something I never got around to posting.  However, I think he'll be okay whether that's the case next year or going forward.

Similar to a lot of stuff, I have changed my mind in terms of a trip to the Buckeye State for Julian Edelman.  I had my reasons, but while I still do, I don't think it's an issue anymore