Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Well, shit.  As a Packers fan, I wanted Rodgers to be upright long enough to make that 2024 second round pick a first rounder.  However, I'm not saying the injury is not serious or real, but do not discount Rodgers making a return to the field at some point during this game.  I've seen it before.  In the season opener in 2018, he suffered what appeared to be a serious knee injury and came back to lead a comeback against the Bears.  He played the rest of the season with a tibial plateau fracture (a break of the bone just below the knee) and an MCL injury.

And now Rodgers is out.  Every New York Jets' fan is hoping it is not an Achilles rupture.   

Rodgers' departure from the game due to injury is a breaking news banner on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Green Bay Press Gazette, and TV stations throughout Wisconsin.  

• Like 1

What a weird, wild game.

Joe Buck called Josh Allen a gunslinger, but I think he throws wildly a lot, mainly because his o-line seems to collapse pretty rapidly and he's on the run. But he has got to calm down and scan the field more because the Bills are giving up a lot of points when they shouldn't. 

The entire AFC is a fucking mess after only one week.

The only AFC West team with a win are the Raiders. THE RAIDERS!

The entire AFC South is trash except Jacksonville.

Presumed powerhouses KC, Cincy, and Buff struggled. They should recover but...

Rodgers with a possibly longterm injury. Allen taking hit after hit. Miami with no defense and Tua one hit away as well. Mac Jones might become the best QB in the AFC East by default before too long. 

AFC North at least had the Browns look good (bleah for DeShaun Watson) and the Ravens struggling to beat the Texans.

All throughout the preseason, the chatter was that there were so many good AFC teams that some good teams would miss out. We'll see how things turn out but maybe its not the case. The only teams in the league so far who were supposed to be really good and played really well in Week 1 are SF and Dallas.

6 minutes ago, Carey said:

Looks like the football gods really sorta love the Jets

The football gods love a human sacrifice.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Possible ruptured Achilles? That’s awful if the MRI confirms it, and his career is likely ended as well. What a blow to him and the Jets. I’ve never been a fan of his, but nobody wants to see this.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

And now Rodgers is out.  Every New York Jets' fan is hoping it is not an Achilles rupture.   

Their coach just said that Aaron Rodgers might have an Achilles injury. Aaron is getting an MRI tomorrow. There is pretty good chance that his season may be over before it even started.

I'm sensing some sadness from ESPN at this moment. All that hype all summer about Aaron Rodgers & the Jets for nothing.

BTW, that was a good victory for the Jets tonight. 

• Like 3

I'm not a Roger's fan, but I want Saleh to succeed.  And no one wants to see a future HoF career end like this.  Shades of Theisman .

I'm sure most of the AFC will bounce back, like Burrow, Chiefs, and Miami & Jacksonville should be fine.  But with all the injuries the Cravens suffered in Week One, I'm thinking they won't have a deep run.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, twoods said:

Possible ruptured Achilles? That’s awful if the MRI confirms it, and his career is likely ended as well. What a blow to him and the Jets. I’ve never been a fan of his, but nobody wants to see this.

Oy. I can't stand the guy and the neverending tongue bath he and the Jets got leading up to the season, but that sucks. 

• Like 8

Dear Jets fans:  Yay for your win, but I am horrified and grieved by the Rodgers news.  Grieved for the Packers fans who still love him.

This just…sucks.  Holding on to the sliver of hope that everyone is guessing wrong & it’s not an Achilles.

• Like 2
On 4/26/2023 at 2:29 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I have to say, as somebody who hasn't been a big fan of Rodgers from the bits and pieces of sound bites I've heard out of him the last couple years, I liked him today. 

Maybe this is because I have a relationship with somebody had one of these "I'm happy to be a part of this Jets organization" press conferences years ago. And perhaps I have a little bit of sympathy for Rogers today, knowing that no matter how hard he works and how talented he is, Jets things will happen. 

They always happen.

^^^ Me on the day Rogers met the media after the trade.  

Jets things happen. They always happen. Don’t let your kids grow up to be Jets fans. 

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

I'm not a Roger's fan, but I want Saleh to succeed.  And no one wants to see a future HoF career end like this.  Shades of Theisman.

As a lifelong Packers fan, I was tired of the drama and glad they moved on.  Same reaction I had when they traded Favre and went with Rodgers.  However, I didn't want this.  I don't want this for any player.

One of the reasons I felt good about the trade was that the possibility of injury was greater because of his age, particularly a lessening of his ability to make things happen with his feet.  Aaron Rodgers of a few years ago would have spun away from that attempted sack and thrown a perfect dart 40 yards down the field.  

• Like 6
7 hours ago, emma675 said:

Joe Buck called Josh Allen a gunslinger, but I think he throws wildly a lot, mainly because his o-line seems to collapse pretty rapidly and he's on the run. But he has got to calm down and scan the field more because the Bills are giving up a lot of points when they shouldn't. 

Older Brett Favre was also called a gunslinger, so I hope Bills fans are ready for some backbreaking interceptions while trying to argue that hey, no guts, no glory.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

^^^ Me on the day Rogers met the media after the trade.  

Jets things happen. They always happen. Don’t let your kids grow up to be Jets fans. 

So basically this is all your fault.  I see you.

Not a Rodgers fan (NFC rivalries run deep) but if this is how his career ends, that is truly a shame.  

Speaking of Brett Favre, it's sorta crazy, or just coincidental that 2 Buffalo Bills thirteen years apart took out a former Packers legend in a painful way

Edited by Carey

I forgot to say that was one he'll of a gutsy performance by the Jets last night, even Zach.  He was manageable - even this press conference was better than past, Garrett Wilson (go Buckeyes) had one hell of a catch,  the defense buckled down for the most part, and Hall was doing his best Emmet Smith impression.

But Josh Allen, WTF?!  FOUR  turnovers.  I had a feeling before this season the the Bills were going to take a step back.  Tho seeing Stefon's face toward the end of the game, it doesn't bother me much.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Garrett Wilson (go Buckeyes) had one hell of a catch

One wise guy on the internet posted the highlight of that catch with the quote: "Incredible angle of Garret Wilson picking off a Zach Wilson interception."  Heh.

I have never for one minute disliked the Jets. For a few years I was a Jets well-wisher for reasons I explained back in April. I feel absolutely terrible for Rodgers, and man do I hope that Wilson can simply keep it together enough where the fans don't take out all of their frustration on him. 

53 minutes ago, deaja said:

So basically this is all your fault.  I see you.

Not a Rodgers fan (NFC rivalries run deep) but if this is how his career ends, that is truly a shame.  

I take absolutely no responsibility for noting that the Jets were founded in the Bermuda Triangle. And I'm assuming that he won't call it quits due to this injury. I mean, he needs to rehab it fully anyway so he can keep playing golf (he's a really good golfer), so he might as well come back and play football again next year. He's also highly competitive, and it doesn't feel like he's going to be okay with THAT being the way his NFL career ends.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Idk.  When the smoke clears it looks like Aaron might be out for the year

He's done.  And so is Saleh.  Then there's Hackett, who'll get booted in a way Garfield has done to individuals like Jon Arbuckle and to a greater extent, Odie.

As mentioned with Dobbins, when it's feared you have a torn Achilles, it's over.  The fact is, as mentioned by JTMacc99, the guy can't run anymore. Plus,  New York did not address their offensive line.  They would've been better off addressing it and going for Maker Bayfield.  Now I didn't expect A-Rod to play for 20 seconds but this wasn't sustainable.

Robert is done since he's in a culture that will not understand why the team might not be good yet again

Edited by Carey
Edited for spelling
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Speaking of Brett Favre, it's sorta crazy, or just coincidental that 2 Buffalo Bills thirteen years apart took out a former Packers legend in a painful way

Speaking of coincidences, twenty four years ago tomorrow a Jets team with championship aspirations lost their veteran QB to an Achilles injury in the first half of their first game.  Here’s to you, Vinnie Testeverde.

• Like 1

So with the Jets now having to reevaluate things with Rodgers most likely done for the year and the Bills looking less than stellar dare I say Miami wins the divison?

The first weekend of the season didn't go the way a lot of people thought it would. Some upsets. Some blowouts.  I like when things are unpredictable. Let's see what the second week brings.

• Like 2

New York teams really seem snakebitten lately: The Nets imploded with dysfunction, the Mets ended up doing a fire sale with their loaded roster, the Yanks might have their first losing season in a long time, the Giants got absolutely stomped, and then the Jets lose Rodgers, perhaps permanently, before he completes one pass for them. (And then somehow the Bills, another NY team, lose the game anyway because Josh Allen has a zillion turnovers.)

I hate artificial turf, and maybe the biggest storyline of the offseason being ended after a handful of plays into the first regular season game might convince the NFL to get serious with the holdout teams. I was living in Houston when the Texans began, and I remember the organization being very clear about how they were going to spend the money to have real grass despite the challenges involved because it still made better financial sense than to risk the players with so many millions of dollars invested in them.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
9 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

So with the Jets now having to reevaluate things with Rodgers most likely done for the year and the Bills looking less than stellar dare I say Miami wins the divison?

Miami has to play games against the Jets, Bills, Patriots, Eagles, Cowboys... At least one of those teams is going to smack around Tua the way that the Cowboys beat the crap out of Daniel Jones on Sunday, and that will be what will likely be the reason Miami won't win 12-13 games. (I mean, it doesn't have to be that way, but history points towards that being a possibility.)

I think the AFC East story has a lot of chapters still to go before we can figure out how it's going to end up.

• Like 1
On 9/5/2023 at 4:58 PM, mojoween said:

This is so good.  Except the end DEAR GOD NO 

This is hysterical!  I’m a huge Eli fan (Giants fan) and Peyton is funny.  I’m probably in the minority but I love their show and wish they did more games.  I always laugh so hard.  Say what you will about them but they’ve done it right…long and successful careers and now a pretty sweet setup in retirement.  Congrats to them.

• Like 8
29 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The first weekend of the season didn't go the way a lot of people thought it would. Some upsets. Some blowouts.  I like when things are unpredictable. Let's see what the second week brings.

Tell me the state of Tua’s brain at the end of the season and I’ll tell you how I think the Dolphins will do. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

It is now official.

I don't think Miami will be that great this season, and that is due to the fate of Tua.  However, their defense is pretty good.  Vic Fangio is a decent DC.  In addition to that, I think everyone else in the AFC East is worse than Miami.  So they might not have to do much to win it.  If they don't, believe it or not, I think New England will be the team that passes them

1 hour ago, Carey said:

It is now official.

I don't think Miami will be that great this season, and that is due to the fate of Tua.  However, their defense is pretty good.  Vic Fangio is a decent DC.  In addition to that, I think everyone else in the AFC East is worse than Miami.  So they might not have to do much to win it.  If they don't, believe it or not, I think New England will be the team that passes them

But if Tua can remain healthy, I don't see how they can't win the AFC East.

Being age 39, it doesn't matter how much Rodgers wants to come back.  It's if his body will let him.  on NFL this morning Kyle (I think it was him) tore his years ago and asked the doctor if a tore Achilles is common, and his doctor replied that he had built his practice on 40 yr olds that want to play sports.

• Like 3

Do not wish that on Aaron Rodgers, but couldn't help but think back to the pregame interview between Rodgers and John McEnroe, with Rodgers telling McEnroe how he believed the Jets would make it to the playoffs and he was using a bunch of the "The Secret" mumbo jumbo "speak it into reality" crap. And McEnroe was like, um, uh, okay, but what if it doesn't happen, and Rodgers was sure he could manifest it. ....Doh!

Happy for Jimmy G!   

• Like 5
7 hours ago, TVbitch said:

And McEnroe was like, um, uh, okay, but what if it doesn't happen, and Rodgers was sure he could manifest it.

It was one of the biggest Murphy's Law moments I've ever seen.   It's sad that he's been working so hard for this season, and it just went down the toilet so quickly, but that's pretty much how life works.  Sometimes life has a different plan than what you expected.  So sorry, Jets fans.  I know that was a gut punch.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Any word on when/where Rodgers is being treated?  Having surgery?  One of the best known doctors for foot/ankle sports injuries is in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  He's someone who has treated Cam Newton, Davante Adams, Saquon Barkley, Joey Bosa, among others.  He did Richard Sherman's Achilles surgery and he did Matt LaFleur's Achilles surgery.  

Or does Aaron have a shaman somewhere who will be treating him?

• LOL 4

The injury just happened Monday night, and it's only been about 24 hours since the confirmation for it.

I imagine we'll know more throughout the week, but given the fact that this could be an 18-month rehab for a soon-to-be 40 year old, I think Aaron is considering his options

12 hours ago, Carey said:

As mentioned with Dobbins, when it's feared you have a torn Achilles, it's over.  The fact is, as mentioned by JTMacc99, the guy can't run anymore. Plus,  New York did not address their offensive line.  They would've been better off addressing it and going for Maker Bayfield.  Now I didn't expect A-Rod to play for 20 seconds but this wasn't sustainable.

There was a report that came out yesterday from The Athletic that Rodgers didn't like cut blocks because it required him to get the ball out quickly and that's not the style of play he prefers.  He likes to go through his progressions, often looking for the big play. And if Packers fans had a frustration with him based on the way he played (as opposed to the other stuff), it was related to this, especially when he didn't have a grand slam player like Devante and the rookies were still figuring things out. It felt like he wouldn't take the small easy wins.  But he did have an offensive line that could protect the pass.

Monday, I thought it looked like he was wanting to start his Jets career with a big play but the O-line couldn't hold up long enough for such a play to unfold.  If he comes back next year, are the Jets going to be able to give him the O-line he wants for his style of play?  Or is he going to adjust his style of play to fit his new reality? 

I'm less certain about that last possibility. I know everything was portrayed as kittens and rainbows with Rodgers in NY but it was the honeymoon period.  The one thing I'm going to miss from his NY season is to see whether or not his new attitude held up.  How long would his relationship remain so great with his new coaches/playcallers? 

6 hours ago, Calvada said:

Any word on when/where Rodgers is being treated?  Having surgery?  One of the best known doctors for foot/ankle sports injuries is in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

I think he's in Carolina now because if you google him and Green Bay, it says his office is closed. 

• Like 3

The Jets get to keep their first round pick in 2024 after all, so it'll be interesting. Do they spend it on getting a nice piece for the OL? Or do they get a QB? It will depend on how much they really trust in Rodgers's recovery. Sure, he says he expects to be back and they say they expect him to be back. But whatever they say about Zach Wilson right now, they probably do not want to risk spending another year of a top-shelf defense with him.

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think he's in Carolina now because if you google him and Green Bay, it says his office is closed. 

I was going by the Packers media guide, which lists him as an associate team physician.  He's probably a consultant for them even if he's returned to Charlotte.  

I wonder if Rodgers will blame the turf for the injury, or if he will say it was just bad luck.  It amazes me that teams spend millions and millions on these players, not just for salary, but surrounding them with team psychologists, nutritionists, player engagement directors, family programs directors, security personnel, and then they look at these turfs that the players have been very vocal about believing they cause significant injuries, and the teams say, "Eh, good enough."  

• Like 2

Apparently both Giants and Jets said they loved the new turf when asked about it during training camp.

I love how any one of 51 other players could bust their Achilles and it’s like “🤷🏻‍♀️ what are you gonna do” but Aaron Rodgers does it and suddenly the Players Association is storming every stadium with pitchforks demanding “grass fields now!”.

• Like 8

Mojoween, that is accurate.  However, the league is probably as unhappy as the NFLPA.  At least on some level; it's more probable than not that it's on a lesser level.

If the NFL doesn't budge, I don't think I'll have a problem with it.  Like A-Rod or not, that is not cool to see that guy absent going forward.  He's probably the bridge or the link between those guys that finally made their exit (Drew, Ben, Tom, Eli, etc).  Now it's Stafford.

Too bad Aaron was on the back 9 and still only has one ring AND one conference championship.  Plus, Rodgers can't move around anymore the way he did in the past.

Now, if Patrick Mahomes suffered the same injury or does at some point this year or next year, then I imagine the league would act in favor of the player's association's wishes.  Regardless of whether Patrick being absent helps my team, I do not want to ever see him not there on Sunday