Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Insane day of football - Jags beat the Cowboys on a pick six in OT, Raiders beat the Pats on a last play fumble return TD, Chargers beat the Titans on a last second FG, Bengals come back and beat the Bucs after the Bucs turned it over a ton in the second half, Chiefs escape the Texans in OT, Lions beat the Jets in a close one, thrilling day of football!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

All these ads for the 50th anniversary of The Immaculate Reception surprised me, because I was sure that was something that happened in the late 70’s.  Turns out, it’s a year older than I am.

I remember it because I was a high-schooler in central PA at the time, halfway across the state from Pittsburgh, but because of the shit-ass TV blackout rules in effect at the time, we couldn't get the game on TV.  So I had to hear it on the radio. 

53 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So apple is out of the Sunday ticket race. 

It's down to Amazon and Google. 

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/17/23513966/apple-nfl-sunday-ticket-negotiations-exit

Please, please don't let it be Amazon.

As much as it'll suck if it's Amazon, no way I'd be surprised.  TBH I'd have been pissed a couple decades ago.  I've moved from Sunday Ticket to RedZone.  Love commercial-free content

• Like 2

I don’t know why this was ever a thing, and even why I thought of it, but you know what we don’t see any more?  When a network would show a replay and the chyron at the top of the screen would say “reverse angle.”  Wonder why that is.

13 minutes ago, Carey said:

As much as it'll suck if it's Amazon, no way I'd be surprised.  TBH I'd have been pissed a couple decades ago.  I've moved from Sunday Ticket to RedZone.  Love commercial-free content

I have Red Zone on all day. Love me some Scott Hanson! 😀

• Like 2
  • Love 3

You know, there were a lot of "NFL RIGGED" posts on Twitter to where it was trending.  Meh.  I'm more in the lines of saying it's "scripted".

I'm not signing a petition nor am I going to court to prove it.  Not a big deal for me (plus no one's winning that).

However, it is a fair statement based on the following...

Edited by Carey
Tags
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Raiders beat the Pats on a last play fumble return TD,

That undersells how bonkers and stupid the Pats were - a regular fumble would actually be kind of normal.  It's something special when you start lateraling the ball around and end up tossing it to the other team for an unofficial game ending pick-six.

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

That undersells how bonkers and stupid the Pats were - a regular fumble would actually be kind of normal.  It's something special when you start lateraling the ball around and end up tossing it to the other team for an unofficial game ending pick-six.

And the guy who ends up with the ball stomps on the guy who had it when the play began. 

9 minutes ago, Carey said:

You know, there were a lot of "NFL RIGGED" posts on Twitter to where it was trending.  Meh.  I'm more in the lines of saying it's "scripted".

I'm not signing a petition nor am I going to court to prove it.  Not a big deal for me (plus no one's winning that).

However, it is a fair statement based on the following...

I saw this online don't believe it at all. That's just too far fetched. How would you script out plays to that degree ahead of time?  ALL the players would have to be in on it. Not realistic 

Do the refs favor players and teams?  Sure. 

3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It is not in any way cool that a Giants victory helps the Cowboys.  Fuck Dallas.

No, it really does suck a lot of the joy out of it.

But the reality is that they were going to get there eventually, regardless.  Take solace in how they lost today. 

Giants needed the win tonight more than Dall-ass needed the Giants to win tonight.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Like 2

Bummed that the obvious pass interference on the last play of the game was not called. Ignored by the refs. Like a couple of years ago in the playoffs a KC defender did a head to head on a Browns receiver in the end zone, which caused him to not catch the ball. No call.

Well Giants play Vikings next on Saturday. They can dream of a white Christmas here, that's for sure. Also a cold one. It was 3 this afternoon.

You know, Cris Collinsworth brought up a valid point as it relates to Tampa and Tom.  Could be Cris being himself and pimping Brady like he's done for decades.  However, it is fair to think about it.  The Bucs look horrible, but maybe they don't need to look great.  They will get a home game, (probably against Dallas).  If they beat them, it's not impossible that they somehow run over Philadelphia, Minnesota, or even San Francisco.

The Niners, well, just crushed them, but one decade ago, Denver did the same thing, as a road team, to Baltimore.  You might not have to look up info on the aftermath for both the Broncos and the Ravens that season.

You just never know with TB12, per Collinsworth, and he's right.  It's unlikely, but the AFC South is horrible, so there might not be any urgency yet.  Plus, they looked very good against Cincinnati until they didn't

7 hours ago, Carey said:

ey will get a home game, (probably against Dallas).  If they beat them, it's not impossible that they somehow run over Philadelphia, Minnesota, or even San Francisco.

Considering SF already ran over them in the regular season with BROCK PURDY, Cris is dreaming.   The Bucs might not even win the Division.   December is when you have a sense of urgency.   If they don't feel it NOW, they never will.   I think age just finally caught up with Brady and the Bucs have no plan if he is not playing well.

I was actually hoping for a tie in SNF just so history could be made.   I don't think two teams have ever tied each other twice in the same season.   But the refs got the call that the Commanders cannot win because Danny Boy MUST sell the team.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Well Giants play Vikings next on Saturday. They can dream of a white Christmas here, that's for sure. Also a cold one. It was 3 this afternoon.

The Vikings are 10-0 in one score games, complete with several miracle comebacks.  So I assume the Giants will choke in epic fashion and the Vikings are going to crash and burn in the playoffs.  Or they're a team of destiny.

25 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

The Vikings are 10-0 in one score games, complete with several miracle comebacks.  So I assume the Giants will choke in epic fashion and the Vikings are going to crash and burn in the playoffs.  Or they're a team of destiny.

I know Vikings can beat the Giants; it's whether they will is the question. We came back from 33-0 to win, and it was fun, but it was the Colts. If we're behind 33-0 to Giants, good chance we won't win.

23 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

All 8 of the Giants wins have also been one score games, and they're 8-2-1 overall in one score games.  I think if it were something you could bet on, I would bet on this being a one score game. Heh.

Interestingly, unlike the previous several seasons, for some reason the Giants have managed not to choke in epic fashion this year. When they get beat, they get beat. Also, there is 0.00001% chance that this Giants team will find themselves with even a 20-0 lead, let alone a 33-0 lead. The Giants are severely lacking the talent at WR and TE to score so many points so quickly. So chances of them actually having a big lead TO BLOW are very low.

3 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I know Vikings can beat the Giants; it's whether they will is the question.

If the Giants can get their best (and only good) CB Adoree Jackson back from his knee injury this week, they'll at least have a decent chance of dealing with the Vikings passing game. If he's still out, the only chance the Giants will have is to sack Cousins like 8 times, because they're going to have a street free agent covering Jefferson. ::shudder::

My instant analysis of this game, as a Giants fan, is that the Giants will have to rely on the Vikings beating themselves with mistakes, as their lack of talent at WR and across the back 7 on defense looks like a severe mismatch against the 11-3 Vikings.

I know it’s not the same personnel but I’ve seen the Giants try to cover Calvin Johnson.  Justin Jefferson is going to have like 300 receiving yards.

The AFC West went 4-0 yesterday.  Now the only other division that could have also done that was the NFC North, but they didn’t.  So good for the West!  Denver is in there!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The pats ending makes up a bit for the colts collapse. I've never seen a team try a play like that when tied.  Why?

And the fact the loss helps the colts draft stock and chance to get a real qb

I remember at the end of regulation in the tied Pats Falcons Super Bowl the Pats faked the kneel down and ran a fumblerooskie type play that gained 20 yards but would have needed to go for a TD as time expired. I think an RB got hurt. Same level of risk. Just an extraordinarily bad decision by a generally smart player. 

14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I saw this online don't believe it at all. That's just too far fetched. How would you script out plays to that degree ahead of time?  ALL the players would have to be in on it. Not realistic 

And not only that, but a script would still have to be executed perfectly, all game long. What is the likelihood of that happening? Zero. Just because the script says that so-and-so will catch a 35-yard pass or a kicker will make a 45-yard FG doesn't mean it will actually happen. Or how about when that player who is scripted to be a key part of several plays goes down with an injury and has to be carted off the field? Any script would get derailed very quickly very early on in a game.

I don't hate the Pats now that Brady doesn't play for them anymore (Tuck Rule: Never forgive, never forget!), but that doesn't mean I didn't love my Raiders pulling out the win. Especially since they usually have been the team getting embarrassed on a weird play like that. It was refreshing to have the shoe on the other foot for a change.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

And not only that, but a script would still have to be executed perfectly, all game long.

I took it as the person misinterpreted what they heard, and that the "live" broadcast is actually one or two plays behind the real game.  Which in some cases, is true.  I watch Sunday Ticket via streaming, and the feed is always behind the live action.  The scoreboard on the side of the screen often updates before I've seen the play that led to the score. 

57 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I took it as the person misinterpreted what they heard, and that the "live" broadcast is actually one or two plays behind the real game. 

Yes, that's the likely answer. It was the radio broadcast, and radio lags slightly with "live" broadcasts to allow time for the bleep-out button to be pushed if needed, for curse words and such. Got to avoid those FCC fines.

Karmically I hate that Jakobi Meyers is going to be saddled with this play. He's an undrafted FA who has worked his way to become the de facto #1 WR on the team ahead of high draft picks and FA pickups by working harder and knowing where he's supposed to be at all times. And yet, that's what happened.

• Like 3

Meanwhile pats fans are claiming the td before the Ill fated play should not have counted because he stepped out of bounds. 

Pata fans whining about a bad call vs the Raiders after a stupid loss 

The football world has certainly turned 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 4

Jalen Hurts trending around doubtful to questionable for Saturday's big game at AT&T.  Info recently breaking from ESPN's Adam Schefter.  This is in the aftermath of Philadelphia's game; it's a shoulder injury

Edited by Carey
Reason for injury status
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Jalen Hurts trending around doubtful to questionable for Saturday's big game at AT&T.  Info recently breaking from ESPN's Adam Schefter.  This is in the aftermath of Philadelphia's game; it's a shoulder injury

It’s Gardner Minshew time!

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

It is not in any way cool that a Giants victory helps the Cowboys.  Fuck Dallas.

That was an unfortunate side effect, yes, but I was instantly over it because that was a fun game in the first half and at the end.  And the Cowboys would get in anyway -- and, once there, they will promptly get creamed as nature intends.

• Like 1

It's been snowing most of the day in the Minneapolis area. Almost over here, but the snow clouds have been moving east through Wisconsin. However, so far it looks like it won't be snowing in GB until the game is winding up. Maybe the wind will kick some cloud butt and blow the snow over Lambeau more quickly. 

LOVE watching just before the ball is snapped and everyone on the line of scrimmage looks like a fire-breathing dragon.  All we need now is someone to take off their helmet and have steam billow from their bald head.

• LOL 2