Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Cliffy has looked like a dead man walking in the last couple Cardinals' press conferences. When will the bell toll for thee? I don't even care anymore. What a mess. 

Yay for Vikings and glad Tampa Bay beat Rams. I want Niners and Jimmy G to win the division. I don't hate Tom Brady anymore, and enjoy seeing QBs openly passionate about the game. Brady's sideline hug and "that was fucking great" press conference moment seem quite genuine to me.   

• Love 3

Seems like a weird move for Saturday. Unless Irsay told him he had a legit shot at the permanent job, I don't understand why he would leave a cushy job at ESPN for an interim position.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Seems like a weird move for Saturday. Unless Irsay told him he had a legit shot at the permanent job, I don't understand why he would leave a cushy job at ESPN for an interim position.

Ego, probably.  Being asked to be the head coach of the team you were on for the bulk of your career has to feel like something on the bucket list.  He can always go back to ESPN.

I mean, they even let Matt Millen call Lions games these days.  In Detroit.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I assume since Saturday was named only as an interim HC that the Rooney rule doesn't apply.

I believe so.  There really is no time during the season to interview candidates when you have a game next Sunday.  You also cannot interview potential candidates who are already employed by other teams.  Your only available options are your own staff and currently unemployed coaches.  

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I assume since Saturday was named only as an interim HC that the Rooney rule doesn't apply.

Yeah. It doesn't apply for interim head coaches.  That's not to say it's not raising eye brows that a white guy with only a few years of high school coaching experience was given a HC job.  It's just that there's not much time, in season, to do an interview process.  

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, xaxat said:

This may not be a violation of the Rooney Rule, but it does point out that if an owner wants a guy, he will get him. Rule be damned. (Meyer, Rhule, Kingsbury etc.)

The Rooney Rule only says you have to interview minorities nothing about hiring them.  There is no penalty for teams to go thru the motions interviewing candidates that they have zero intentions of hiring because they already have a guy. Just like many other employers.

• Love 1

Is Jim Irsay nuts?

my next door neighbor plays football catch with his little boy. I suppose he could be a head football coach.

By the way Saturday looks like a young Bill Murray playing a football coach.

Anyhow go Ravens!

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 1

Saturday looks like a more built Bill Murray in the role of a man that has a job as a football coach.  FWIW, I wouldn't be shocked if Irsay had actually hired the real Bill Murray!

Edited by Carey
  • LOL 2
17 minutes ago, twoods said:

I guess Case Keanum will likely start against his former team. They won’t be the same without Allen but he needs to heal and not make his injury worse. 

So Sunday's game likely will be Vikings vs former quarterback and former wide receiver, plus brother vs brother.

Funny, the ref says, "Offsides, everyone except the center."

• LOL 2

Ravens dominate the Saints - the Ravens have a solid team and they dominated tonight even without several key offensive players. They are legitimate Super Bowl contenders IMO - very good on both sides of the ball. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Ravens dominate the Saints - the Ravens have a solid team and they dominated tonight even without several key offensive players. They are legitimate Super Bowl contenders IMO - very good on both sides of the ball. 

I think Baltimore might be the best team in the league.  Yep, over 31 teams including Philadelphia!

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Carey said:

I think Baltimore might be the best team in the league.  Yep, over 31 teams including Philadelphia!

If they don’t give up their lead in the fourth quarter.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe so.  There really is no time during the season to interview candidates when you have a game next Sunday.  You also cannot interview potential candidates who are already employed by other teams.  Your only available options are your own staff and currently unemployed coaches.  

Perhaps that is why the OC coach was fired a week earlier?  oO

Saturday was hired to fire up the team.  Everyone loves Jeff.  But who the heck will be calling plays?  And whose mom will have to bring snacks for after the game?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, twoods said:

I guess Case Keanum will likely start against his former team. They won’t be the same without Allen but he needs to heal and not make his injury worse. 

I feel like my heart's been ripped out of me because we can't catch a break. The Bills, arguably the NFL's version of the Chicago Cubs, seem to be at the brink of glory only for the worst possible news to (possibly) happen.

I may be making a mountain of a molehill because there's still the probability that nothing major happened to Josh Allen's elbow and perhaps Case Keenum can actually beat the Vikings. Still, stressing about it still sucks because Buffalo's season really feels like it hangs in the balance and I'd hate to go through yet another year of "what could have been".

This is probably where I remind myself that sports is cruel and nothing is a guarantee. Doesn't make it any easier to handle, though.

• Love 1

I'm not a Bills fan, but this totally sucks.  It looked like they were finally going to emulate the Colts and finish ahead of the Chiefs (and not have to go there until next year).  While there's no guarantee they'd win at home in Buffalo (see 2005 Colts), at least they wouldn't have to go the Arrowhead for a third year.  Unfortunately, the AFC East is actually competitive this year, and the AFC West actually is not.  It's still going to be a tough task with or with a (healthy) Josh Allen.

Speaking of which, this the cruel nature of the league.  You wait & wait for a great game, and a great matchup, only to see that ripped out with an injury or something else right before it happens.  Bills vs Vikings would have been super-great.  Instead, it's looking like we're trending to a 16-win team having to travel to lose in a hostile environment to survive for a Super Bowl berth.  That's assuming that a 16-win team doesn't lose during wild-card weekend.

Okay, I doubt Minnesota is finishing 16-1 but I do hate it when someone big gets hurt right before a big game (happened several times with Ben before Baltimore and New England home games, and Patrick Mahomes before a 2019 game at Lambeau).

At the end of the day, it's best that Allen is healthy and has no setbacks.  I don't need to see watered down football and that's what we'd get without Josh running the team, and speaking of running, while it was a pass play that nailed him, Buffalo needs an actual run game.

As for Indianapolis, Reich was a goner regardless, but the whole way it was handled is a total mess.  Ballard probably can go as well.  What have they done since he arrived.  Maybe elevate Saturday to GM on the way of getting an actual coach for 2023

If Irsay wanted to go with a former player there is one RIGHT THERE on the coaching staff already.   Reggie Wayne.   But nooooo let's go with the white guy who only has HS coaching experience.

17 hours ago, xaxat said:

Saturday literally said at his introductory press conference (smartly held DURING MNF so no one would pay attention) that he considers himself auditioning for not just this job but the 31 other jobs.    From what I understand Saturday has NEVER hinted at wanting to be a head coach in the NFL.   He hasn't taken a job as an assistant coach with a team, even though Irsay could have guaranteed him a job as one (see Reggie Wayne).   Now suddenly he thinks he can be one?   Over all the OTHER guys who have waited years for their chance (cough Bienemy).   

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Perhaps that is why the OC coach was fired a week earlier?  oO

Saturday was hired to fire up the team.  Everyone loves Jeff.  But who the heck will be calling plays?  And whose mom will have to bring snacks for after the game?

Yeah I have no idea who is calling plays.  Haven't heard. 

Reich being fired was expected. Saturday as coach dont get it.  

A snack schedule will be emailed to the fans. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Funny, the ref says, "Offsides, everyone except the center."

Funny every time.  But, like someone said (can't remember which broadcast I was watching at the time), everyone gets the penalty but the center and he's the one that made the error.

Saw a few minutes of Good Morning Football this morning and apparently at one time yesterday there were 4 games at 17-17 ties.  Kinda cool.  (Don't know if they were all at the same time, but at some point, 4 different games had 17-17 ties.  Still pretty cool.)

Programming alert (for 12 days from now).  The Kansas City / Los Angeles AFC West game has been flexed into Sunday Night Football one week from Sunday.  To make room for that move, the Cincinnati / Pittsburgh game moves out of the SNL slot.  Basically the games swapped networks and timeslots, which might affect those in the Cleveland & Baltimore areas who were looking forward to Dallas / Minnesota for their late Sunday fix

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Carey said:

Programming alert (for 12 days from now).  The Kansas City / Los Angeles AFC West game has been flexed into Sunday Night Football one week from Sunday.  To make room for that move, the Cincinnati / Pittsburgh game moves out of the SNL slot.  Basically the games swapped networks and timeslots, which might affect those in the Cleveland & Baltimore areas who were looking forward to Dallas / Minnesota for their late Sunday fix

Awesome news!! The 2 best games that week are Cowboys/Vikings and Chiefs/Chargers, and it’s good that they will be on at separate times on different networks. 

I scored 10 correct and 3 incorrect on my week 9 picks. On to week 10, starting the second half of the season!

Falcons vs Panthers*
Seahawks vs Buccaneers*
Lions* vs Bears
Browns vs Dolphins*
Broncos vs Titans*
Vikings* vs Bills
Texans vs Giants*
Jaguars vs Chiefs*
Saints vs Steelers*
Colts* vs Raiders
Cardinals* vs Rams
Cowboys vs Packers* (sorry Cowboy haters but I hate Packers more)
Chargers vs 49ers*
Commanders*** vs Eagles

Edited by Lamb18
12 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I feel like my heart's been ripped out of me because we can't catch a break. The Bills, arguably the NFL's version of the Chicago Cubs, seem to be at the brink of glory only for the worst possible news to (possibly) happen.

I may be making a mountain of a molehill because there's still the probability that nothing major happened to Josh Allen's elbow and perhaps Case Keenum can actually beat the Vikings. Still, stressing about it still sucks because Buffalo's season really feels like it hangs in the balance and I'd hate to go through yet another year of "what could have been".

This is probably where I remind myself that sports is cruel and nothing is a guarantee. Doesn't make it any easier to handle, though.

The Jets are a good team....  divisional losses will happen.  It's not the end of the world for Buffalo.

Worst I see is Josh out for 3 games.  And even then maybe it will force them to have to develop some kind of run game besides Josh.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, NUguy514 said:

God, how I wish the Bengals had held onto that small lead in the Super Bowl for another/the remaining 90 seconds.  They're not playing spectacularly this season, but at least they're not completely embarrassing like our reigning SB champions are.

Super Bowl hangovers are a real thing, and if the Bengals had won the SB, I don't think we can assume that they wouldn't be as embarrassing this season as the Rams have been. Like you said, they're already not playing very well as it is, and if their desire for a Super Bowl win had been sated, imagine how poorly they might be playing without that motivation.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

So do your picks reflect who you want to win or who you think is going to win?

Who I want to win, and that is based on whose win is more beneficial to the Vikings. Teams I really dislike are the exception as I want them to lose every game.

I'm watching the Lions/Packers game. One sideline shot of Aaron Rodgers looked like he was about to cry or trying to stifle a burp. Or maybe both. I think crying because why would he stifle a burp? He'd let it fly among the guys.

Edited by Lamb18
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:
On 11/6/2022 at 7:41 PM, NUguy514 said:

God, how I wish the Bengals had held onto that small lead in the Super Bowl for another/the remaining 90 seconds.  They're not playing spectacularly this season, but at least they're not completely embarrassing like our reigning SB champions are.

Super Bowl hangovers are a real thing, and if the Bengals had won the SB, I don't think we can assume that they wouldn't be as embarrassing this season as the Rams have been. Like you said, they're already not playing very well as it is, and if their desire for a Super Bowl win had been sated, imagine how poorly they might be playing without that motivation.

Part of the reason why LA is embarrassing is due to the fact that they went "All In" by giving up a ton to get the best to win in present time.  They knew that it would come at a cost in the aftermath of a Superbowl year.  Heck, everyone pondered quitting.  At least the reports were there, including from McVay and Donald.

As for Cincinnati, I don't know if they would've been worse, since they won without a line.  Burrow was on the ground a ton more than people that get to the end game.  OTOH, Cincy was fortunate that Buffalo was picked off with Kansas City & the Bills playing each other while the Bengals escaped Tennessee.  Then Lamar and company got destroyed due to injury.  It was proven to a certain point (when they were ranked first in the AFC).  Now their 3 losses were sorta their fault.

SB hangovers do happen, but it feels like it's worse than I've seen in quite a long time.  Pittsburgh crumbled in 2006 and Denver a decade later (both Denver & Carolina FWIW).  Finally, the Rams are getting the best shot from everyone, including a Niners team that's great & a Seahawks team that isn't dead yet, if at all

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

As @Carey posted, the Rams' hangover is more of a function of going all in last season specifically to win the Super Bowl.  Cincinnati's pieces are still there, so I don't think the Bengals would be playing appreciably worse if they had won.  They're not playing terribly; the Rams, however, are, and that's just the price of the gamble they made last season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

The Jets are a good team....  divisional losses will happen.  It's not the end of the world for Buffalo.

Worst I see is Josh out for 3 games.  And even then maybe it will force them to have to develop some kind of run game besides Josh.  

I'm not concerned about divisional losses to the Jets and Dolphins, as much as the so-called pundits are. I always consider divisional games to be a bit of a toss-up since teams are going to be more "up" for a team they've faced frequently than one they don't play all that often.

The real concern is more than Josh Allen is hurt and because of that, Buffalo loses a few more games and thus has to travel- again- to Arrowhead for the AFC Championship when that could have been avoided. Last year was frustrating because it appeared that Buffalo did all they had to in order to avoid that outcome only to lose some strange ones down the stretch (including whatever that was in Jacksonville).

So, the prospect of that happening again is even more frustrating.

Then again, the Bengals beat Kansas City in Kansas City. Tom Brady won the Super Bowl a year before as a wild card. The last time a No. 1 seed won the Super Bowl was in 2017, when Philadelphia defeated New England (also a No. 1). In fact, aside from a four-year stretch from 2013 to 2017, no No. 1's have won a Super Bowl since 2010.

Then there's always that issue of whether or not the Bills really are as great as the pundits said they were. Mentality is a huge issue with this team- if things aren't going well, then they don't seem to go well at all. Buffalo finally did win some close games this year, but they are only 2-2 in games decided by seven points or less. The lack of a run game or a short passing game also hurts.

The Chiefs don't win without Travis Kelce. Brady doesn't win without Gronk. Who does Josh Allen have? Are Dawson Knox and new guy Nyheim Hines good enough?

Makes me wonder if, should the Bills falter again this year, the Bills go after Mike Tomlin, who is sure to be gone in Pittsburgh. No disrespect to Sean McDermott, but how many more times can he fail to deliver when it matters most before you go to someone- like Tomlin- who's actually delivered in this situation? Buffalo's window to win a Super Bowl is not that large, so I wonder if the patience runs out sooner rather than later if things don't work out this year.

• Like 2

If the Bills fail this year, I couldn't tell you whether they'll be better off with or without Sean McDermott.  Plus, I don't know his contract situation as of this second.  It'll be difficult to boot the best HC they've had since Levy.  On the other hand, if they boot him, it'll be to get an offensive coach.  One that better understands Allen's side of the ball, and one that might make the offense more dynamic.

An offensive coach is the way to go in this era of the league.  That's a big reason why getting Mike Tomlin to take over in 2023 is just not happening.  It's also a no-go because the Steelers HC is under contract until 2024.  In addition it makes no sense to trade basically the same person between the teams.  They're actually rather close & good buddies.

Losing Daboll hurt a little, but if Buffalo wants to get to where they need to go, they'll have to focus on the offensive side, but if Sean can't do that soon, they'll either replace him with someone that can or just another great offensive mind.  I don't know if it'll happen in 2023, but it needs to occur ASAP

• Love 1

The Bills have been hurting with all the injuries on defense, and it’s not the coach’s fault. Allen also has thrown some really bad interceptions, and that’s on him and not the coaching staff. I don’t think McDermott is a terrible coach, and his decisions so far have not caused the Bills to lose IMO.

• Love 2

I've got £20 on the Ravens winning the Super Bowl, that will net me £380 if it comes off. I was feeling like a mug a couple of weeks ago, but they're starting to come together now.

Roquan Smith is looking like a key trade already - an immediate leader and communicator on the defense and something of a force amplifier who lets a lot of other guys do what they're best at.

Shame about the offense, where we're relying on a bunch of rookies and JAGs. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Lamar decided he wanted to leave, when he looks at the WRs teams like Miami and Buffalo have, compared to what the Ravens have given him.

• Love 1

If the Bills win the Super Bowl, then Sean McDermott's status is unquestioned. Considering how big a Super Bowl would be for Buffalo, he could coach for life if he won one.

(They might even name him the Mayor too in that case)

If the Bills don't win...well, here's the scenario:

• McDermott is signed through 2025.
  • Josh Allen's cap hit goes from $16M this season to $39M next year to $51M in 2025, at which point the Bills could (theoretically) cut him and get $8M in dead cap space
  • The Bills are $700,000 under the cap this year and are projected to be $11M over next season and (as it stands) $14M under the cap in 2024. This is without an extension to Jordan Poyer, should the Bills think of pursuing that.
  • In addition to Poyer, other key free agents for 2023 include Tremaine Edmunds, Mitch Morse, Devin Singletary, Shaq Lawson and new acquisition Dean Marlowe.

Now, I don't know how the Bills' situation compares to other teams, but it does seem like there's a window here of a few years. I'm not sure Buffalo has a pending free agent- not even Poyer- who they couldn't find a cheaper alternative. According to my own quick math regarding 2023, of that $11M the Bills will likely need to cut (assuming the salary cap doesn't go up), almost $8 million is tied up in players whom, if you release them, won't give you dead money against the cap (the most notable player in that group is new acquisition Hines).

Which brings us back to McDermott. Is 2025 a reasonable enough year to say if he hasn't won the Big One by this point he should be gone? Or does Buffalo look at eating what is left of his contract in 2024 or even after 2023?

I bring up Mike Tomlin because McDermott has the potential to be like Tony Dungy and the Bucs- he brings the team back from irrelevancy but can't take the team to the next level. So you need someone who can and Tomlin's a winner, as far as I'm concerned. He's also worked with Ben Roethlisberger whose style Allen is trying to emulate.

It's really a matter of if- and I stress that "if"- at some point Buffalo makes the determination that McDermott is holding the team back. I do feel that Tomlin will become available after 2023 or 2024, and I'm not sure you can pass up the opportunity to hire a guy like him. I also don't know too many others who would be suitable replacements for McDermott- Buffalo, for sure, won't go with some newcomer to replace McDermott.

Obviously, the question to replace McDermott is moot now or potentially in the offseason, but if the calendar gets to 2023 or 2024 and the Bills haven't gotten over the hump? I think you'd need to at least start wondering.

8 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I'm not concerned about divisional losses to the Jets and Dolphins, as much as the so-called pundits are. I always consider divisional games to be a bit of a toss-up since teams are going to be more "up" for a team they've faced frequently than one they don't play all that often.

The real concern is more than Josh Allen is hurt and because of that, Buffalo loses a few more games and thus has to travel- again- to Arrowhead for the AFC Championship when that could have been avoided. Last year was frustrating because it appeared that Buffalo did all they had to in order to avoid that outcome only to lose some strange ones down the stretch (including whatever that was in Jacksonville).

So, the prospect of that happening again is even more frustrating.

Then again, the Bengals beat Kansas City in Kansas City. Tom Brady won the Super Bowl a year before as a wild card. The last time a No. 1 seed won the Super Bowl was in 2017, when Philadelphia defeated New England (also a No. 1). In fact, aside from a four-year stretch from 2013 to 2017, no No. 1's have won a Super Bowl since 2010.

Then there's always that issue of whether or not the Bills really are as great as the pundits said they were. Mentality is a huge issue with this team- if things aren't going well, then they don't seem to go well at all. Buffalo finally did win some close games this year, but they are only 2-2 in games decided by seven points or less. The lack of a run game or a short passing game also hurts.

The Chiefs don't win without Travis Kelce. Brady doesn't win without Gronk. Who does Josh Allen have? Are Dawson Knox and new guy Nyheim Hines good enough?

Makes me wonder if, should the Bills falter again this year, the Bills go after Mike Tomlin, who is sure to be gone in Pittsburgh. No disrespect to Sean McDermott, but how many more times can he fail to deliver when it matters most before you go to someone- like Tomlin- who's actually delivered in this situation? Buffalo's window to win a Super Bowl is not that large, so I wonder if the patience runs out sooner rather than later if things don't work out this year.

Josh had some pretty poor throws Sunday but his last pass to Davis traveled 60 plus yards and well shoulda maybe even been caught.

That’s why I don’t think his injury is anything too severe 

17 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Totally not surprised he would schill something unproven.   He pushed copperfit for years. too,   He's just that type of person.   Doesn't matter what it is as long as it makes HIM money.

• Love 3

Here are my picks for NFL Week 10

Falcons over Panthers. 
Buccaneers over Seahawks. 
Bills over Vikings. 
Bears over Lions. 
Titans over Broncos.  
Chiefs over Jaguars.  
Dolphins over Browns. 
Giants over Texans.  
Steelers over Saints.  
Raiders over Colts.