Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Aww I don't hate the Redskins. I remember one MNF game when the Giants were just trashing them up and down the field (pre-RGIII) and I actually felt so bad. I feel sorry for the players and coaches, and pity is probably worse than hate.

Although Washington is a division rival, I only root against them when they're playing the Giants; in fact, I'd go so far as to root for them to come in second in the division (hapless though they may be) since I do dislike the Eagles and loathe Dallas. There's zero justification for the name/mascot in my book, though, and the intransigent owner - and like-minded players and fans - does make it difficult to root for them.

Of the many things that got to me about Victor Cruz's injury last night, the most affecting was seeing him wrap his arm around the trainer who accompanied him on the cart back to the locker room. I think that guy's voice was the only thing he could hear through the agony.

Edited by Bastet

You think you feel bad?  Try being a Redskins fan.  Yeah, that's right.  I said "Redskins."  For now, I guess I could call them the Washington football team until the name issue is settled, but in the end it really doesn't matter because they S.U.C.K.  We feel like bad people because we call them Redskins.  We've got a quarterback with legs like fine china who probably won't be worth a damn whenever he finally does come back.  We've won one game.   We've got nothing.  It's so bad that people probably hate us more than they hate Dallas, and that's saying something.   

I definitely don't hate the Redskins. Maybe because they're not NFC/Cowboys but I'm too busy hating the Broncos, Chiefs, Patriots,  49ers , Chargers, Ravens, Cowboys. Yeesh. That list is long.

• Love 1

We've got a quarterback with legs like fine china who probably won't be worth a damn whenever he finally does come back.

So can we talk about RGIII for a minute? He impressed me so much as a quarterback and a man during his rookie season that I feel terrible about how his career has gone. I wonder why he's so fragile? Even now, he has more raw speed than Russell Wilson, so why does he get hit so much more when he moves outside the pocket? And for this most recent inury, a non-contact injury, he broke his ankle when running to the sidelines. How did this happen? This man is a hurdler! He's used to sprinting and pounding into the ground. Hurdlers' ankles are almost as strong as an ice skater's. (Okay, I made that up. But hurdlers to have to have strong ankles).

• Love 2

RGIII gets hurt more than Wilson because he gets hit more than Wilson.   Wilson has an O-Line to protect him while he is making plays.  The Skins line is worse than swiss cheese.   He is scrambling on every play, even when he stays in the pocket and doesn't take off running.   Wilson only gets hit when he runs.   After a while, your body just breaks down, so even routine stuff can lead to injury.

Or he's just fragile, he had knee surgery in college.

• Love 2

Wilson's really good at avoiding contact. That's one of the reasons he's compared to Fran Tarkenton -- who also avoided injury for most of his career despite being a running quarterback. You'll see Wilson, like Tarkenton once did, run around behind the LOS and look for someone to throw to. So in this, he's not running toward the defense, he's running away from it. When RGIII and other mobile quarterbacks are running, it's usually into the heart of the secondary or linebackers, and those players are priming themselves for a big hit.

• Love 1

You think you feel bad?  Try being a Redskins fan.  Yeah, that's right.  I said "Redskins."  For now, I guess I could call them the Washington football team until the name issue is settled, but in the end it really doesn't matter because they S.U.C.K.  We feel like bad people because we call them Redskins.  We've got a quarterback with legs like fine china who probably won't be worth a damn whenever he finally does come back.  We've won one game.   We've got nothing.  It's so bad that people probably hate us more than they hate Dallas, and that's saying something.   

I've been a 49er fan since 1967. Growing up in South-Central Los Angeles in the shadow of the Coliseum, that was no picnic. Click the link and look at our season records since then. Believe me, I've felt your pain.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/

I don't hate the Redskins. I've respected them since the Sonny Jurgensen/Sam Huff/ Bobby Mitchell days. Sonny was one of the best pure passers I've ever seen.

I don't really hate any team. I do hate some team's fans (including some of ours), who don't know the difference between passion and obnoxiousness.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 2

Hey, I'm a Bills fan and since they have the longest current streak of not getting to the playoffs, I win. I wanted then to beat the Patriots badly, but like I predicted the Pats will likely win the weak division yet again. Blah.

I usually hate the Cowboys but I feel sorry for Romo and all the crap he gets so I'm glad they are decent for a change. Hate the Giants but poor Victor Cruz.

• Love 1

I can't stand the Cowboys, for being the Cowboys, and I quickly learned to dislike Seattle when they took on this myth of invincibility and became the darlings of the sports media world. Fucking 'Legion of Boom' nonsense and pundits creaming themselves over 'well spoken' (read: he sounds like a white guy!), plucky little Russell Wilson, and Marshawn Lynch.

I've not seen a team be as universally adored by idiots on the NFL Network and ESPN since the Patriots, so seeing their image of magnificence tarnished is hilarious to me.

Loved that, for once, my Ravens managed to get their offense rolling right at the start of a game, and didn't let off until it was won. And they did it with two rookies on the left side of the O-line. Justin Forsett has been a revelation at RB, and Steve Smith Sr is just the manliest man in the world, and a nightmare for any defender to deal with. But Joe Flacco is looking very good this year too. A couple of downs (last week against Indy was bad, but the O-line didn't perform), but for the most part he's looking like Kubiak's system is well suited to him. Five TDs in one half of football, and all perfectly taken. The Bucs are really bad, though.

• Love 2

Really? I don't tend to think of the Seahawks as universally adored. Last year it was "yeah the Seahawks are good but Payton Manning! and this year it's been way more positive, but still a lot of discussion about how hard it is to repeat.

And since the loss to the Chargers had already poked a hole in the "Seahawks are invincible" meme and now with the loss to the Cowboys I'm hearing plenty of commentators say how wrong they were and how the Seahawks are falling apart, just like every team who wins the Super Bowl. Never mind that last year they went 13-3 and they've only lost two games thus far. And really never mind that the game against Denver was one game, even though it was a serious blowout. They didn't win every game that easily.

I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of commentators falling in love with the Legion of Boom for 20 minutes, but they do that with every team. Just like we saw with the Patriots one week it was "Tom Brady is over" and the next week it was "Tom Brady is a football genius!" The sports media tends to cover things like a cat chasing a laser pointer. I can understand why you don't like the 'Hawks, because we all have that team or player (I, personally, think Payton Manning is wildly overrated as a quarterback).

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 2

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cowboys-running-back-joseph-randle-arrested-for-shoplifting-at-mall-145102925.html

Cowboys' Joseph Randle arrested for shoplifting ... underwear and cologne?

Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle reportedly was arrested for shoplifting at a Dallas-area mall on Monday night.

Store employees at Dillard’s in Frisco, Texas detained Randle, per the Dallas Morning News, and he later was charged with theft, a Class B misdemeanor. The item stolen is not known, but it allegedly was valued between $50 and $500.

I just saw Stephen A Smith's rant about this on ESPN First Take.."underwear and colonge?! Seriously, UNDERWEAR AND COLONGE?!" 

The rant was pretty funny, luv it when he goes off. But seriously speaking, if this is true, he needs his ass whipped. Or maybe he's a closet klepto and needs help.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 2

He made over $500K this year and is still the sampler bottler of Gucci cologne and a 2 pack of Polo underwear.   This team.   I just, sometimes, I can't even.    WHY do I continue to like them?

This is why we can't have nice things.   5-1 record.   Then someone does a boneheaded move like this.   

• Love 1
So can we talk about RGIII for a minute? He impressed me so much as a quarterback and a man during his rookie season that I feel terrible about how his career has gone. I wonder why he's so fragile?

I can't figure it out either, especially since he was a hurdler in college.  All I know is that when he was drafted, the first thing out of my SO's mouth was that he didn't like RG III's legs.  What I've noticed on the field is that, although he gets hit a lot, he seems to kind of lose control of his limbs when he falls.  His legs seem to flail all over the place and it just looks...weird.  I like the guy and I'm just sorry that misfortune has befallen him--and the team.  And us fans. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Ranking every player who has caught a touchdown from Peyton Manning

This is an interesting look at who Peyton has thrown to 506 times. And at the risk of sounding like an Upworthy headline, the player they ranked number one might surprise you.

Now I'm curious if anyone ever did a list like this for Brett Favre. I wonder how those receivers would stack up against Peyton's.

Of course, now I'm also wondering if there is a list of every defender who has intercepted Favre. I do know that Corey Webster is my favorite.

• Love 1

I can't figure it out either, especially since he was a hurdler in college.  All I know is that when he was drafted, the first thing out of my SO's mouth was that he didn't like RG III's legs.  What I've noticed on the field is that, although he gets hit a lot, he seems to kind of lose control of his limbs when he falls.  His legs seem to flail all over the place and it just looks...weird.  I like the guy and I'm just sorry that misfortune has befallen him--and the team.  And us fans. 

I sometimes think its something in his head, to be honest. He already blew out his knee in college, and had to rehab a lot to recover from what could have been a career ending injury. Then that same knee - which is now weakened - gets injured again. Its in his head he has to move differently to protect his knee. THEN that knee gets blown out again, and he has to go through surgeries and almost a year of rehab.

It's in his mind now. He's terrified of a career ending injury and it's affecting his play subconsciously, I think. His actions are no longer second nature, like receivers who'll catch a ball and have the presence of mind to drag toes on the ground, even though they are about to pancake themselves onto said ground. He's overcompensating without even maybe realizing it, and his play is then affected overall.

• Love 2

the player they ranked number one might surprise you.

Color me surprised.   Oh what if.   This could have gone down as one of the greatest duos in football history.

Hmm. As much as I loved Marshall Faulk as a versatile player, one of the things that made the Peyton-Marvin relationship so special was that Marvin Harrison was able to make those incredible downfield catches from Peyton's long passes. I don't know if Marshall had the raw speed or agility to make those grabs.

Now I'm curious if anyone ever did a list like this for Brett Favre. I wonder how those receivers would stack up against Peyton's.

Or even pictures of their hands. Based on interviews I've seen with Packers players, Brett Favre threw the ball so hard that receivers who caught his passes have some permanently jacked-up fingers.

Edited by topanga

Ranking every player who has caught a touchdown from Peyton Manning

This is an interesting look at who Peyton has thrown to 506 times. And at the risk of sounding like an Upworthy headline, the player they ranked number one might surprise you.

Of course, now I'm also wondering if there is a list of every defender who has intercepted Favre. I do know that Corey Webster is my favorite.

Interesting list, I recall almost every one of those players, at least from the Colts

They have Tamme and Blair White way too high first of all. Seriously Blair White was awful. the only reason either cracked the line up to any significant extent in 2010 was there was a bunch of injuries, in particular Austin Collie went out with his umpteenth concussion and I think Dallas Clark was injured as well, plus Anthony Gonzalez was injured. After Wayne and Garcon the Colts had a bunch of no names like Tamme and the Blair White project to fill in for the rest of the season. I know Tamme followed him to Denver, but Orange Julius Thomas quickly replaced him

Jerome Pathon was on his way to a great season in 2001, he was among the top WRs in the league through like 3 games then got injured. Then the next year Pathon leaves in free agency and Wayne catches on as the #2 WR (2001 was his rookie year).

I love Dominic Rhodes but he was never a great pass catcher. A great #2 back, was key in the SB and their playoff run that year. He and Addai should have been co-MVPs of the SB, not Manning.

If Austin Collie or Anthony Gonzalez could have stayed healthy they would have been great ones too, pushing the top 10. Just injury plagued.

And Pollard......another tight end that never played college football but instead was a basketball player. They mentioned this ever single broadcast when he played. Some colts message boards would make bets on how far into the game it would be mentioned.

Edited by DrSpaceman

I take a nap and the football world blows up.    Holy mackeral.   I kid you not I just read a report this morning that the Seahawks were looking to use Harvin more.

Harvin's fragility is killing him, this is the second time he has been traded.   When healthy he is very dangerous.   But he is broken down too much.

Sure but he was amazing in the SB last year. The Seahawks don't have a great WR corp as it is and rely a whole lot on the run. Harvin helped with both the run and pass game, lightened the load when healthy for Lynch.........I don't get this move by Seattle.

Its good for the Jets if he is healthy, although with Geno Smith at QB not sure how valuable they can make Harvin

edited to add : though looking at his stats since joining Seattle, they aren't that impressive at all. Seemed like he did more in the SB. Could be though that he does more than what shows up in the stats. Defenses won't have to worry about him in preparation week to week and can change strategies during the games without him on the field. He has been injured an awful lot though

Edited by DrSpaceman

I would imagine some of it has to do with salary cap. Isn't Wilson up for negotiation soon? Harvin commands a big yearly salary which I don't think the Seahawks can't balance if they're going to give Wilson anything like the deal he's no doubt gunning for.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/18/reports-harvin-fought-teammates-took-himself-out-on-sunday/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

As the shocking trade of Percy Harvin to the Jets continues to dominate the NFL news cycle, reports from Seattle indicate that the Seahawks simply decided they couldn’t tolerate Harvin’s misbehavior, which included multiple fights with teammates and a refusal to play late in Sunday’s loss to the Cowboys.

One fight took place the week before the Super Bowl and left then-Seahawks receiver Golden Tate with a black eye, according to Lance Zierlein of Sports Talk 790 in Houston. Another fight took place in the preseason this year and left receiver Doug Baldwin with a cut on his chin, according to the Seattle Times.

Harvin also reportedly took himself out of Sunday’s game and wouldn’t go back in when coaches asked him to play. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was asked why Harvin didn’t play much late in the game and answered with a vague reference to “readiness,” but it now appears that the real problem was “willingness,” or lack thereof, of Harvin to get on the field.

Combining the reports out of Seattle with the widespread reports from two years ago that Harvin was a cancer in the Vikings’ locker room, it looks like the Jets just landed themselves a malcontent. They’d better have a plan for how to deal with Harvin’s inevitable unhappiness.

This is so hard.   On the one hand, I hate the Seahawks and their cheating coach so I want them to lose.   On the other hand, I need the points if they win.   Life is so difficult sometime.

(yes I realize this is NOTHING to what some people really suffer).

This is so hard.   On the one hand, I hate the Seahawks and their cheating coach so I want them to lose.   On the other hand, I need the points if they win.   Life is so difficult sometime.

That Rams punt. That punt. Just awesome. And great tthrow by the punter. And fumble recovery and the Rams get it back.

So is Seattle already regretting the Percy Harvin trade?

• Love 2

Okay, I've held my to tongue long enough. The Seahawks did not play well the first half of that game. They were losing on their own merit. And that fake punt in the 4th quarter was a good gamble. But the reffing in the fourth quarter and even the third quarter was insane. It looked like one of the Rams tackled Wilson by his neck and another one nearly stepped on his face.

I know people hate the Seahawks, for whatever reason, but they've won one Super Bowl and they just want to do what every team wants to do - win again.

I love Russell Wilson and don't hate the Seahawks, for what it's worth. Richard Sherman is a loudmouth, but I don't hate him for it, I mean, last year, he backed it up.

I thought Dez Bryant was a spaz? What happened to that??

So obvs I HATE this outcome because why are the Giants putting single coverage on Bryant and for cod's sack hold onto the damn ball, but what I hate even more is that the stupid Cowboys have figured out whatever it was that they were doing wrong and are GOOD now, and since I hate them, the effusive praise makes my teeth hurt.

Please please PLEASE let December happen the same as it's always been.

I'm holding out my hopes on you, Peyton. Crush the Niners.

• Love 3

I want to believe.   I never expected 6-1.   Never.   But I know that it is how a team plays in December that counts.   And we all know how Romo does in December.   On the other hand it is possible that Satan, I mean Jerry Jones, got him enough targets that he doesn't feel the pressure to win the games all on his own anymore.   Sure we know about Dez Bryant, DeMarco Murray (first player in NFL to gain 100 yards in the first 7 games) and Jason Witten.   But some kid named Escobar scored  2 of the 4 Dallas touchdowns.   Then there is Williams and Dunbar.  Everyone talks about how improved the defense is -- and it is -- but wow, we got enough real threats on offense to keep other teams defenses confused.   

I want to believe.   Don't break my heart.

P.S. Mojoween, I was typing as you were posting.   How odd that we were talking about the same thing.   

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 1

Please please PLEASE let December happen the same as it's always been.

Exactly.  Because it's going to be a long season as a Giants fan.  If I have to endure the Cowboys deep into the post season on top of that, I'll be one unhappy camper.

I like Jeff Fisher a lot, but hated the Rams during their time in LA, so I've never been able to make the shift to rooting for them.  And certainly not against Seattle, since my love for Pete Carroll has turned me into a Seahawks fan.  So I'm not having a good day.

• Love 1

That's funny, I also hated the Rams in LA (effing Flipper Anderson) and hated Kurt Warner too. I mean, this is how bad it was...I rooted for the Patriots in their Super Bowl. The Patriots!

But I like the Sooners so I like Sam Bradford so I like the Rams now. And I've always had a soft spot for Jeff Fisher. Super Bowl 34 broke my heart. I like the 'Hawks too so I really don't know how I feel about today; I suppose I'm happy for anyone winning in that division that is not San Fran.

Man there is all sorts of shit going down in Chicago. Trestman doesn't seem to have a handle on things.

Oh and one thing I thought was cute today (in a very not cute game ugh Colts) was the Colts mascot standing under the goalpost holding a "Leah Strong" sign.

Edited by mojoween

I agree that the play today with the Punt Return in the Rams/Seahawks game was great. The Rams even fooled the cameraman with that play, lol.

I thought tonight's win was another good win for Dallas. I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens to them, and how long they will continue to keep their momentum going.

Even though I wanted Carolina to win against the Packers, I have to give Aaron Rodgers a lot of credit. He really has been playing great, ever since some people were freaking out earlier this season, after their 1-2 start. He told people to Relax and since then he's been playing well and like the elite quarterback that he is.

I'm really disappointed in Cleveland for losing to Jacksonville the way they did. That was ugly. Blake Bortles had 3 interceptions and Jax still won in spite of him making mistakes as a rookie. Cleveland played very badly. Jacksonville figured out how to stop their run game, and that really hurt them. I had thought if they were going to lose against any of the three struggling teams, they are facing this part in their schedule, that they might would have lost against Oakland. I think that Derek Carr so far acts like he's the most mature of all the rookies. Even though he's on a bad team he seems very poised, when's playing. I think he could give Cleveland some trouble. If the Browns lose against another winless team next week, that is going to be bad for them.

Also I am glad to see Sammy Watkins doing well.

Edited by Jx223
mojoween said: but what I hate even more is that the stupid Cowboys have figured out whatever it was that they were doing wrong and are GOOD now...<snip>

The Cowboys finally fixed what I had been yelling at my TV for years. The front line and the play calling . The front line sucked so bad, that Romo never had time to move in the pocket and find a receiver (or whoever) to pass to. He never had the time to complete a play, and was frequently sacked, hence the back injury. On top of that, the play caller - who was Jason Garrett last year, would call these idiot short throws to the side that gained them 4 yards if lucky. I hated those plays. So now Romo has time to throw, the running backs are protected, new guy Scott Linehan is making good calls offensively, and new guy Rod Marinelli is making good defensive calls, and looks as intense as The Chin (Bill Cowher).

All that playcalling was not Garret's fault -- and he wasn't calling plays last year either.   Romo would change the plays from runs to passes.   He hates handing the ball off, he wants to win the game with his arm.   SOMEONE finally convinced him to stop that shit.   I have no idea who, but they deserve a medal.

That has to be one of the gutsiest calls in the history of the league today by Fisher. He's a gutsy coach, I will say that. Up by two, fourth quarter, DEEP in your own territory and you all a FAKE PUNT!!! You missed that and you basically just handed the other team the game.

I don't hate Seattle but I like Arians and Arizona, so Seattle (and right now SF) losing is a good thing.

Manning wasted no time tying the TD record. Needs one more to break it.

Indy today just destroyed Cincy. They had no first downs until less than a minute in the first half and that one was due to a cheap penalty. They didn't cross the 50 until the 4th quarter. Cincy really is disappointing me. Started so great and now just bad the last 3 weeks. I am not a big Bengals fan but growing up in Indy they are a nearby time you like to see do well, kind of like the Bears. Plus I like seeing the traditionally bad teams getting a chance one in awhile. 3 weeks in a row though they just look bad.

And for that reason disappointed Cleveland lost today. AFC North is not great and they had a real chance to make themselves contenders for the division, then they lose to Jax. Yikes.

And there is the record, #509 to D. Thomas.

And you don't see it much out of Manning during the game often, but Manning was thrilled. The SF defender that was rushing him congratulated him afterwards.

Manning will always say the expected thing about the records that they don't matter, just wants to win, etc, but he knows the history of the game more than anyone and I bet tracks his stats among the all time greats on a regular basis.

He could make it to 600 by the time he is done if he plays a few more years.

They said it made stand a long time, but Brees has an outside chance to break it if he plays until he is around Manning's age.

Imagine if Peyton didn't lose a year to injury and was still playing this year. He broke the record in 56 fewer games than it took Brett to hit 508.

It's funny how this game is atrocious, but because I like one of the teams and adore their QB I'm not mad at it. It's not like it's Falcons/Bucs or anything.

No excuses, but it appears San Fran has been decimated by injuries, more so than most. I don't like them, but I do feel badly.

So now Romo has time to throw, the running backs are protected, new guy Scott Linehan is making good calls offensively, and new guy Rod Marinelli is making good defensive calls, and looks as intense as The Chin (Bill Cowher).

I will forever love Rod Marinelli for leading the Detroit Lions to 0-16 in 2008. 

Despite his presence, I'm still not happy that the Cowboys won today. Tony Romo should be getting on his knees every week & thanking DeMarco Murray for his contribution to the Cowboys this season. I still want them to fail because I can't put up with Jerry Jones, Skip Bayless, Joe Buck, & ESPN sucking up to them every week. 

BTW, has Michael Sam even played a down for the Cowboys yet? Ever since the Cowboys picked him up after the Rams cut him, I haven't heard from him since. Is he even on the team anymore?

While I was watching Peyton Manning breaking to TD record tonight, I'm starting to shudder what a possible Denver-Dallas Super Bowl will be like if both teams keep playing well like this. It will be downright torture.

Edited by Magog