Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Can we quietly cancel the rest of the season's Thursday Night games and move them to Sunday? Next week is Patriots vs. Jets, and as unimpressive as the Patriots have been so far this year...  the Jets.

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon for this week.

Edited by Fukui San

Other than the outcome that was a good game, best played Thursday game so far this season. Well I mean the Giants win was awesome but that wasn't a good game.

I don't know if it's accurate but I saw on Twitter that the Jags drafted Gabbert and a punter before Watt and Russell Wilson. I doubt it would have made much difference but still. Ouch.

And now yay the slobbering all over Luck begins. Sigh.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Other than the outcome that was a good game, best played Thursday game so far this season. Well I mean the Giants win was awesome but that wasn't a good game.

I don't know if it's accurate but I saw on Twitter that the Jags drafted Gabbert and a punter before Watt and Russell Wilson. I doubt it would have made much difference but still. Ouch.

And now yay the slobbering all over Luck begins. Sigh.

Well to be fair I can't see Wilson on the jaguars, or really any QB on the jaguars, making that team much better and Bortles actually appears to be the real deal if they put talent around him.

Luck had great plays and also bad plays. That fumble was his fault, the INT that put Houston right back in the game I put on him too. A number of throws knocked down. Luck is a big, tall QB, that should not happen no matter how good the Texans D line is. A few, sure, but he had a bunch of them knocked down.

TY was unstoppable, one yard shy of COlts record for receiving yards in a game

Hell will freeze over twice before they give the MVP trophy to a D-lineman, but he's certainly earned it so far in my book.

They have given it to a defensive lineman before (Alan Page, don't remember the year) and Lawrence Taylor won it one year. So it's possible. Watt is basically the focus of every team's gameplan, he deals with double teams and gets held and tonight he was tripped at least once and still manages to be incredibly disruptive. He definitely deserves to be in the conversation.

• Love 1

Katy Perry will perform the half time show for the next Super Bowl. When Chris Fowler asked her about the rumors on College Gameday last Saturday she made it clear that she would not pay to play, so I guess the league blinked.

So this is the most interesting stat I think thus far in the season that no one has brought up.

Michael Sams was cut by the Rams and the reason given was there just it was a deep defensive line and there just was not a spot for him on it.

So far for the season, the Rams are dead last in sacks with just ONE the whole season, by far the worst in the line. Also giving up 70% completion percentage to opposing QBs and a 98 passer rating, not good. Also giving up 152 yards a game and 4.9 yards per rush, both bad. I realize that is not all on the D line, but its a hard to look at those numbers and conclude the D Line is doing a great job.

But the Rams do have amazing depth of talent on their D-line. I don't think the reason Sam was cut was any more sinister than there were just too many guys who were better than him. The fact that those guys are all failing produce in the regular season is the only mystery, that I can see. Of course, there are some injuries too.

On paper, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Aaron Donald, Alex Carrington, William Hayes, Kendall Langford and Eugene Sims is an absurdly strong group. That's without even looking at the LB corps, which includes James Laurinaitis (son of Animal) and Alec Ogletree

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Katy Perry will perform the half time show for the next Super Bowl. When Chris Fowler asked her about the rumors on College Gameday last Saturday she made it clear that she would not pay to play, so I guess the league blinked.

I don't think the league can get away with the pay to play scheme. The number of acts that are perfect for the Super Bowl are too limited.

The finalists were reportedly Coldplay and Rihanna. But Rihanna hates the NFL right now after the Thursday Night Football deal.

And picking Coldplay would be like Apple picking U2 to promote its products in 2014.

• Love 1

NFL teams covered up 'hundreds' of domestic abuse incidents, former Bears GM claims

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/9/6954219/jerry-angelo-nfl-hide-domestic-abuse-ray-rice

Former Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo claims that NFL teams covered up "hundreds and hundreds" of domestic abuse incidents in order to keep their players from receiving league discipline, according to a report by USA Today Sports.

"I made a mistake,'' admitted Angelo, who said the recent Ray Rice scandal has made him regret his actions. "I was human. I was part of it. I'm not proud of it.''

Angelo spent 21 years on the staff of three different teams before being hired as the GM in Chicago in 2001. He said he avoided turning over information on domestic violence incidents because it would have put his team at a competitive disadvantage.

"Our business is to win games," said Angelo, who has been out of the league since the Bears fired him in 2012. "We've got to win games, and the commissioner's job is to make sure the credibility of the National Football League is held in the highest esteem. But to start with that, you have to know who's representing the shield.

League has no comment about Angelo's claims

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/10/league-has-no-comment-about-angelos-claims/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

A whistle blower blows the whistle clearly and precisely, not vaguely and generally.  Angelo’s words smear thousands of men who played pro football by creating the impression that a very large but unknown group of them assaulted wives, fiancées, girlfriends, and/or other acquaintances without scrutiny or consequence.  Angelo also calls into question the conduct of every NFL franchise, again without a single detail or other specific item of information other than his sawed-off purging of the soul.

Via ESPN.com, former Bears coach Mike Ditka called Angelo “gutless” in an interview on ESPN 1000 in Chicago.

“If you didn’t do anything while you were running the team, then shut up,” Ditka said.  “Don’t live in the past.”

Detroit Lions ban fan who used laser pointer from all future Ford Field events

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/detroit-lions-ban-fan-who-used-laser-pointer-from-all-future-ford-field-events-200503971.html

• Love 1
“If you didn’t do anything while you were running the team, then shut up,” Ditka said.  “Don’t live in the past.”

Mike Ditka: Apparently hasn't listened to a single word that's come out of his own mouth for the past decade.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5

A pretty safe choice. But I don't hate Katy Perry. She just doesn't do anything for me.

Given all of the buzz for Weird Al as a potential Super Bowl performer, I might actually become a Katy Perry fan if she brought him on stage during her show to perform a song. Much like Beyonce did when she beamed up Kelly and Michelle out of thin air.

Andrew Luck looks like a leprechaun.

Or like Michael Phelps's crazy cousin.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

Or like Michael Phelps's crazy cousin.

That's IT????

Yeah Jerry, you were a GM.   If the NFl covered up dv, you were a part of it.   You are just bitter than you got fired.   If you were still GM, you would have done exactly what Ozzie did.    The problem is not the Ravens or even the Commissioner, per se.   It's that the League has not evolved on this issue like the rest of society.    Any team would have done the same -- minimize the impact on the ability of the team to win games.  Any Commissioner would have done the same -- protect the Shield at all costs.    Unfortunately, the rest of society is all "wait a minute, dv is wrong, you can't just slap the abuser on the wrist anymore."   The League has to join the rest of us on this issue.    And I am betting the NBA, the NHL and MLB do the same.   Just no one exposed a tape in those sports yet.   

It's that the League has not evolved on this issue like the rest of society.    

Unfortunately, I don't think the league's treatment of allegations of domestic violence/sexual assault is much different from other institutions that, in some cases, have chosen to ignore/obstruct/cover up such allegations. Be it police departments, college campuses or the New York State legislature. 

• Love 1
It's that the League has not evolved on this issue like the rest of society.   

Unfortunately, I don't think the league's treatment of allegations of domestic violence/sexual assault is much different from other institutions that, in some cases, have chosen to ignore/obstruct/cover up such allegations. Be it police departments, college campuses or the New York State legislature.

The biggest problem is which organization is worse when it comes to obstruction and/or cover ups - the NFL (pros in general) or the NCAA? Now Angelo is stating that what he said was taken out of context. Huh?

Edited by yourpointis

But the Rams do have amazing depth of talent on their D-line. I don't think the reason Sam was cut was any more sinister than there were just too many guys who were better than him. The fact that those guys are all failing produce in the regular season is the only mystery, that I can see. Of course, there are some injuries too.

On paper, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Aaron Donald, Alex Carrington, William Hayes, Kendall Langford and Eugene Sims is an absurdly strong group. That's without even looking at the LB corps, which includes James Laurinaitis (son of Animal) and Alec Ogletree

I don't think there was anything sinister behind Sam getting cut either. In fact I still think the whole thing was really overblown and overdone by the media

But still......over a quarter of the season and nothing shows that defensive line, whatever the talent on paper, is producing much, especially in the sacks department, which is where Sam would likely help the most. They may be talented on paper but they aren't producing on the field. Only one sack in 106 pass attempts is actually hard to do.......just by luck you get a bad snap here and there for a sack, or a missed block, something.

I also looked up hurries just to see if they are getting close but not getting the sacks.....nope. The two defensive ends have one hurry each. Thats it.

Are they playing just good QBs or offensive lines? Not really, there is a pretty standard distribution of the four teams they have played in sacks allowed, one good, two average, one bad.

I just think its interesting and something to keep an eye on. I guess on the flip side you could end up saying it turns out the DL for the Rams is not that good and he still couldn't distinguish himself.

Any team who wants to add Sam to their active roster can make him an offer, including the Rams. It happens often, and such offers are usually accepted. I can think of a few teams that could use the publicity that would come to distract the fans from their actual play on the field so far. The Jets, for instance, might be happy to have the tabloids talking about anything else after the thrashing that the Chargers gave them and the expected annihilation coming up against the Broncos.

If an experienced D line is having problems, bringing on a rookie is not going to help unless that rookie is J.J. Watt (his rookie year) or Jadveon Clowney.   Especially since one of the reasons he was cut was that he plays just one position.   He can't be moved around if there are injuries.   Who are you going to put on the roster, the mediocre guy who can play anywhere you need him, or the mediocre guy who can only play one spot?    It's not like Michael Sam was a projected 1st rounder who fell on draft boards when he came out.   Even before the news, he was predicted to be a 3rd or 4th rounder -- average.   

• Love 3

I thought Joe Flacco played great today in the Baltimore/Tampa Bay game, especially in the first quarter with the four touchdown passes he threw in that quarter.

Also, I was really glad to see Cleveland win a game against the Steelers that wasn't close. Cleveland had some injuries, but defensively they played much better than they did last week and the O-Line continues to look pretty good. Ben Tate did a good job today running the ball and I was glad to see Isaiah Crowell get some minutes, ( The other Rookie RB Terrence West was actually inactive today). The next three games for Cleveland are against really weak teams, so I hope they win them all, (even though anything can happen).

The Panthers/Bengals game ending in a tie was interesting, tie games in the NFL are rare. I was hoping for Carolina to win, but at least they didn't lose.

That was a very good win tonight for the Cowboys against the Seahawks. A lot of people predicted that they wouldn't go into Seattle's house tonight and pull off a win. But they did. I think this is very good for them. Also that was a nice moment between Richard Sherman and Dez Bryant, showing each other mutual respect on the field. That was nice to see.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

Also that was a nice moment between Richard Sherman and Dez Bryant, showing each other mutual respect on the field. That was nice to see.

I like Seattle and loathe Dallas, so that was a tough game, but the above was a shining moment in the midst of it.

I'm so nervous for tonight's game, wondering which Giants team is going to show up.

• Love 1

I like Seattle and loathe Dallas, so that was a tough game, but the above was a shining moment in the midst of it.

Cannot believe Dallas won. And they played well. If it wasn't for a couple of stupid mistakes by Dallas, Seattle would only get like 6 points. Where the heck did this Dallas team come from?

I'm so nervous for tonight's game, wondering which Giants team is going to show up.

Hopefully the one that will lose to the Eagles. Throw some interceptions, Eli. You know you want to!

• Love 1

First of all, let me apologize to my downstairs neighbors for all the screaming and swearing coming out of the BabyVegas domicile...

Bastet, we can be friends because I, too, utterly loathe Dallas. I was despondent to see us lose to them. Mostly because calling yourself "America's Team" is smug and I hate smug. But the moment between Sherman and Bryant was really nice. I know repeating is extremely difficult, if not nigh impossible in the current NFL, so I wouldn't place money on the Seahawks repeating, but my cold, dark heart does hope that they either manage to pull it off or at least put up a really good showing. I don't know what's up with the LOB right now, but they do seem to be losing some of the sheer wall of doom status that they had last year.

• Love 1

Let me clear up the "America's Team" thing.   Dallas did not give themselves that name.   After they won one of their Super Bowls in the 1970s, NFL Films was preparing the highlight of their year, they needed a name for it.   Someone at NFL Films suggested "America's Team."   The name stuck.   

• Love 2

There IS crying in football...Victor Cruz and me.

So not only are the Giants shitting the bed SO BADLY, on every break I have to hear how wonderful and amazing and heroic (like, for serious, he's not saving babies out there) Tony Romo is and how Dallas has won the Super Bowl. I haaaaaates them. I just hate them so much.

• Love 4

Well, I would feel better about the America's Team thing and I do appreciate you clearing that up merrylinkid, but I've seen enough of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders show to hate on them for other reasons. 

Mojoween, I'm with you on disliking the commentary. No one has won the Super Bowl yet. How badly do I want the Seahawks to repeat? So. Badly. So sure, I'm biased. But the Superbowl is four months away. Let's hold off on declaring a victor until we're at least halfway through the season.

• Love 1

Oh there are many reasons to hate the Cowboys.   Jerry Jones being exhibit A.   

Never watched the Cheerleaders Show.   You want a good movie on the Cheerleaders, see the Jane Seymour one from the 70s.   Done right after "the wink" that set off the whole thing.

• Love 1

I know we are supposed to regard Al Michaels as a living legend but he has described a play as "going nowhere" at LEAST six times. I mean, he could throw in a "no gain" once in a while for cod's sack.

I just want them to score. Just...three points...just to keep it from a shutout.

Hahahaha! Looks like the Giants team that I wanted showed up! 27 to a big 'ol goose egg. Wow.

And now we have Dallas AND the Eagles at 5-1. Who'd of thought??

To: Dallas Cowboys

Subj: Gratitude

BT

Dear Dallas Cowboys, THANK YOU for going into the dreaded "Link" and taking out the vaunted Seattle Seahawks. The red "S" on their chests may be starting to fade just a wee bit. Much appreciation.

BT

I don't hate the Cowboys. As someone above said they didn't brand themselves America's Team, NFL Films did that. What I DO hate is some of their more obnoxious fans and wagoneers. They're almost as bad as Raider fans.

The Jekyl and Hyde Giants were definitely in Hyde mode tonight. That was just ugly. And the Cowboys next week....there will be blood. 

Edited by Snowprince
I don't hate the Cowboys. As someone above said they didn't brand themselves America's Team, NFL Films did that. What I DO hate is some of their more obnoxious fans and wagoneers. They're almost as bad as Raider fans.

I hate the Cowboys due to obsessed family members being fans, but hate the Seahawks more due to the media being bandwagon fans wearing rose-colored glasses. Plus the Hawks are divisional rivals. Now with this recent win for the Boys the media will turn my temporary glee in Dallas beating Seattle and turn it back into seething hate because they will beat to death the fact that Dallas is on their way to having an above .500 season, and we (football fans) should feel blessed to be a witness to such an event. Yeah my hate is coming back quicker than I thought lol. 

No matter what anyone says the 12th man in any and all games is the officiating crew. jmho

Bastet I totally feel you. Can't even enjoy sports radio or TV today because they are going to talk about how wretched the Giants are or how wonderful the Cowboys are and I have no desire to listen to any of that.

Plus, isn't this Thursday NE/Jets? So Friday will be about the awesomeness of Tom Brady and how they were just kidding that he's all washed up.

If my team would just win all of the time this wouldn't be an issue.

• Love 3

Its about time that the Cleveland Browns are finally doing well for a change. It has been forever since they were remotely respectable on the field. The good thing about them doing well so much is that Brian Hoyer is keeping Johnny Manziel away from the field & I haven't heard much about Johnny Football lately. That guy should be taking notes right now on how to let your performance on the field speak for itself (like Brian Hoyer) instead of mouthing off constantly on Twitter (like he did over the weekend). Hopefully, Brian Hoyer will keep playing well so that "Johnny Football" won't get very much playing time for the Browns. 

I hate the Cowboys due to obsessed family members being fans, but hate the Seahawks more due to the media being bandwagon fans wearing rose-colored glasses. Plus the Hawks are divisional rivals. Now with this recent win for the Boys the media will turn my temporary glee in Dallas beating Seattle and turn it back into seething hate because they will beat to death the fact that Dallas is on their way to having an above .500 season, and we (football fans) should feel blessed to be a witness to such an event. Yeah my hate is coming back quicker than I thought lol.

I don't have a favorite NFL team to root for, but I really can't stand the Cowboys. I know that they're doing well so far this season (beating the Seahawks to become 5-1) & that'll make it sweeter when Tony Romo falls flat on his face when the big games come around in December & January. Besides, I'm not liking having to hear some people (mainly on ESPN) telling us that the Cowboys doing well & being in contention is great for the league. I'm sure that the NFL wasn't losing any sleep when the Cowboys haven't came close to getting to & winning the Super Bowl for close to 20 years. I don't ever want to see Jerry Jones in another Super Bowl. 

Plus, isn't this Thursday NE/Jets? So Friday will be about the awesomeness of Tom Brady and how they were just kidding that he's all washed up.

Yes, it is Patriots & Jets this Thursday Night. I'm certain that Tom Brady is licking his chops over the Jets. I am very sad that Geno Smith sucks for the Jets, their defense is horrible, & that they're going to get Rex Ryan fired. Someone needs to Rex Ryan a hug right now. He just doesn't have that swagger or the charisma anymore. 

• Love 1

Dear Dallas Cowboys, THANK YOU for going into the dreaded "Link" and taking out the vaunted Seattle Seahawks. The red "S" on their chests may be starting to fade just a wee bit. Much appreciation.

As much as I was glad to see the Cowboys win, the Seahawks themselves aren't the ones who put that "S" on their chests. Well, maybe Richard Sherman did.  But as for the rest of the team, they didn't talk a lot of junk. All they did last season was play well and win the Super Bowl. The players and staff aren't the ones who compared the Seattle defense to the '85 Bears' defense. They aren't the ones who guaranteed a repeat championship before the season even started.

As with most NFL teams, it's the media and the fans that deify a team. And when they fail to live up to the expectations we place upon them, they get crucified.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

How many dismal seasons does one have to suffer through before you can lose interest without being called a "fairweather fan" because the Raiders are 0-5 and haven't been to the playoffs since 2002 and I just can't anymore.

Maybe they can bring Rich Gannon out of retirement. I really liked him. And he couldn't make the Raiders any worse.

• Love 1
How many dismal seasons does one have to suffer through before you can lose interest without being called a "fairweather fan" because the Raiders are 0-5 and haven't been to the playoffs since 2002 and I just can't anymore.

You think you feel bad?  Try being a Redskins fan.  Yeah, that's right.  I said "Redskins."  For now, I guess I could call them the Washington football team until the name issue is settled, but in the end it really doesn't matter because they S.U.C.K.  We feel like bad people because we call them Redskins.  We've got a quarterback with legs like fine china who probably won't be worth a damn whenever he finally does come back.  We've won one game.   We've got nothing.  It's so bad that people probably hate us more than they hate Dallas, and that's saying something.   

• Love 1