Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: A Storm Is Coming

• Start Topic

I thought the hotel discussion came up before the stage three cancer discussion. It's possible something was edited out, but that seemed to be the order of the conversation.

They were and are connected. Vicki only arranged for Brooks to "travel" at the time in question because Brianna was coming to visit, so Brianna, as a nurse, was questioning the logic of that, as it's too dangerous for stage three cancer patients to travel, esp. after undergoing or finishing a round of chemo.

• Love 20

If they got to pick, OK may have been the closest to Vicki or the best fit for his Military career. My nephew was a Marine and he did not get to pick where he was stationed and neither did my other nephew (Navy) or niece (Navy) get to pick either.

Was your Dad stationed in country or out of country at the time and did your mom chose to live separate from him for 3 years just to please her mom?

In country and no one the other thing. ;)

They were and are connected. Vicki only arranged for Brooks to "travel" at the time in question because Brianna was coming to visit, so Brianna, as a nurse, was questioning the logic of that, as it's too dangerous for stage three cancer patients to travel, esp. after undergoing or finishing a round of chemo.

That's fine. I just thought the conversation didn't have to be as intense as it was which was my initial point - a solution was presented about Briana's stay and that's where it should have ended. So, nevermind.

I am not a Briana fan in general though - I think she is far more like her mother than she'd ever admit.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 11

I'm sure Ragey Ryan is deliberately not picking Camp Pendleton!

There used to be other bases in the area. Tustin and El Toro, but they are gone now. OK, is sort of a weird place for him to be. Does anyone know his MOS?

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 2

To me it is fairly impractical for toddlers to stay in a hotel.  Briana was challenging her mother.  Brooks has always been okay with moving out to accommodate Brianna.  Brianna needs to let her mother make her own way and find friends in Oklahoma.

When has Brooks volunteered to "move out" before? He was not living with Vicki prior to Briana/Ryan moving to OK. LOL And last season, Brooks complained and pressured Vicki about NOT being allowed to be at the house when Briana/Ryan/kids were home.

• Love 7

Ronald Reagan mask looked like he was driving getaway for a kidnapping or bank robbery when he was.In the van with Meghan. What a cold, detached, sleazebag.

Good for you Meghan, that your Mom had her surgery 10 years before Angelina Jolie.

• Love 16

If they got to pick, OK may have been the closest to Vicki or the best fit for his Military career. My nephew was a Marine and he did not get to pick where he was stationed and neither did my other nephew (Navy) or niece (Navy) get to pick either.

?

Since I originally signed up for 6 years, I was given two things in my contract, A guarantee of E2 out of Boot Camp, and a guarantee of E3 within 6 months. And while I didn't get to pick my first duty station I got to pick from guaranteed East Coast, West Coast or Overseas. I picked west coast because I wanted Ca. Everyone else in my class got Hawaii, which is considered overseas and I got Camp Pendleton. I sort of wish I hadn't had that guarantee.  I missed out on Hawaii

Years later, in what is a complicated story, my husband and I were legal guardians  of the daughter of a friend who was active duty Navy. When it was time for him to transfer in 04 he was given a list of bases that had openings for his job. He picked Virginia, Newport and then, I think,.Pensacola. He  got Newport. He  got marred while in RI and for his next enlistment sign up he was able to get them to guarantee his next duty station would again be Newport. He has just retired and is still in RI. So yes, sometimes, you get some say. It can be more difficult with certain MOS's . 

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 7

There used to be other ases in the area. Tustin and El Toro, but they are gone now. OK, is sort of a weird place for him to be. Does anyone know his MOS?

Yeah, I know. I lived in Lake Forest when El Toro was still open and my dad did business with both. Sad, it's all houses now.

• Love 1

In country and no one the other thing. ;)

It is hard on a family to move around like the Military does to them BUT they, Ryan/Briana, haven't been married all that long and their children are not in school yet, so this IS the time to go with him.

• Love 6

Yeah, I know. I lived in Lake Forest when El Toro was still open and my dad did business with both. Sad, it's all houses now.

I'm now in Orlando and the place where my husband went to BC, RTC Orlando, is now a really nice housing area. There are some traces of he Navy base but it is mostly born. My brother was in El Toro in the late 70's and could see Disneyland's fireworks from where he live. Those Califonria bases were all in the process of closing when I was at Pendleton. 

Could Ryan be Field Artillery? My son is National Guard. His MOS is field artillary and he went to BC and for his school at FT Sill. There were people from other branches attached. I went to Ft Sill for his graduation. If Briana is anywhere near there, then I feel for her.

• Love 3

Because I originally signed up for 6 years I was fiven two things in my contract, A guarantee of E2 out of Boot Camps and a guarantee of E3 with 6 months. And while I didn't get to pick my first duty station I got to pic from guaranteed East Coast, West Coast or Overseas. I picked west coast because I wanted Ca. Everyone else in my class got Hawaii, which is considered overseas and I got Camp Pendleton. I sort of wish I hadn't had that guarantee.  I missed out on Hawaii

Years later, in what is a complicated story, my husband and I were legal guardians  of the daughter of a friend who was active duty Navy. When it was time for him to transfer in 04 he was given a list of bases that had openings for his job. He picked Virginia, Newport and then, I think,.Pensacola. He  got Newport. He  got marred while in RI and for his next enlistment sign up he was able to get them to guarantee his next duty station would again be Newport. He has just retired and is still in RI.. So yes, sometimes, you get some say. It can be more difficult with certain MOS's  

I don't think anyone knows exactly what Ryan's MOS is. Sometimes you get what you want but many times you don't, the Military is famous for making promises then changing their minds and assigning you elsewhere because that is where they need you now.

Oh, and Thank You for Service!

• Love 7

Either the crew doesn't give a rat's ass about what Vicki wants or the entire scene with Vicki and Briana was staged.   The cameras didn't stop rolling and more importantly, the mics were still on.

Before I get into the hotel business, I'd like to understand why Briana was planning a visit to the OC a week and a half after Vicki visited her in OK.  It certainly couldn't have been to visit her mother who we learned has made the trip to OK 14 times.  Does anyone know if Ryan has family in southern California?

Even if Brooks didn't exist, Briana has a right to stay in a hotel if she chooses.    Considering that Briana would likely be visiting family and friends, taking her kids to the beach and Disneyland, having toddlers in a hotel wouldn't be difficult.  By the time they returned to the hotel at night, the little ones would either already be asleep or exhausted.

I do understand Briana's reluctance to stay at her mother's house if Brooks was there or if Brooks was in a hotel.  Briana and Ryan do not want to be around Brooks and they don't want their children around him either.   If she agreed to stay at Vicki's while Brooks was in a hotel, Vicki would throw it in her face for the rest of her life.

• Love 21

I am not a Briana fan in general though - I think she is far more like her mother than she'd ever admit.

This.  They manipulate each other.  Vicki was manipulating Brianna with the car (her money) and Brianna uses her children.  Vicki is always yelling about people being in her business, but she never fails to violate her own rules.  She inserted herself into Ryan and Brianna's relationship with that car.  She did not consult them both and she did not present the gift as a household gift.  That is not going to sit well with Ryan and she knows that.

• Love 19

I'll admit that I do not have the rice cooking gene...even in a rice cooker, my rice come out shitty. But, Meghan was cooking MINUTE RICE.

Shannon looked like she was 80 in that getup. The kids were cute and you can tell they were totally giggly, as they should be at that age.

No offense, and I've known people that have done it, but I find being baptized in someone's pool a little weird. Is chlorine holy?

Edited by Cranky One
  • Love 11

So, we once again had to see Jim stick his finger in his mouth and make a smacking noise as he ate his dinner.  Yuck.

Watching the Beador family interact is just sad and depressing.  I know it was cute that the girls cooked and served their parents dinner but the atmosphere is just so depressing.

Of course Terry had to tell the world that he invested a million in the skin care line.  I'm so impressed.  Not really.

Boy but did both Tamra look horrible when they went to see the 'pasture'?

I did enjoy most of the scenes in OK.  So Briana is upgrading from a Mercedes SUV to the Yukon.  Wonder where the Mercedes came from.  And yeah, the Yukon probably came with strings attached.... and Briana knows it but those three rows looked awfully good. 

Here's the weird part.  Briana is married to, IMO, a pretty scary guy but doesn't want to be around the questionable guy that her mother has living at the house.  The whole situation has so much irony.  But anyway, if Briana doesn't want to stay at the house, that's her choice...even though mom bribed her with the Yukon.  And it did seem that Brooks was leaving the house because Briana was visiting and she knew that.  She also knew that mom could use that in the future to show her how much she loves Briana and her grandchildren.  Bottom line - a whole lot of dysfunction going on.  And that is why Michael moved to San Diego without giving his address.

I live on the east coast and we get tornadoes once in a while.  It's no fun when that warning pops up on TV or you hear the special ring on your cellphone with the warning text.  Thankfully we have a finished basement with TV, etc.  And, as others have stated, I think it was a tornado watch, not warning.  Where they went for dinner was probably in a less prone area.

• Love 14

This.  They manipulate each other.  Vicki was manipulating Brianna with the car (her money) and Brianna uses her children.  Vicki is always yelling about people being in her business, but she never fails to violate her own rules.  She inserted herself into Ryan and Brianna's relationship with that car.  She did not consult them both and she did not present the gift as a household gift.  That is not going to sit well with Ryan and she knows that.

How is Briana using her kids to manipulate Vicki? According to Briana, Vicki has been to see them 14 times in a year and I haven't seen/heard Vicki say that Briana ever turned her away or stopped her from visiting them.

I'm sorry, but I was really bugged when Briana fought against keeping the endless Brooks discussion off camera.  She even kept her mic on when she was finally cajoled back into the house to discuss it privately minus the camera.  Is she an OC housewife-in-training, or is she trying to humiliate Vicki on camera via her hatred for Brooks, to change the public's opinion about her and Ragey Ryan (whom I want to punch every time they show his face.)?

Furthermore, in the coming attractions, Brooks looked very, very thin and gaunt.  I'm of the ilk that you don't accuse someone who says they have cancer of not having cancer - ever.  If it comes out that he has been lying, then so be it, and whatever happens, he deserves, but until/unless it does, Briana, Meghan, Tamra and co. need to lay OFF.

On another note; Shannon looked so fresh and pretty when she was out to lunch with Heather.  I guess Dr. Moon's electro-shock therapy is working.  She's going to need it when evil twin, Stella, hits puberty.  Man is that going to be hell!

Finally, ever notice that Jim rarely makes eye-contact with Meghan when he speaks to her? Tonight, he spoke to and gazed lovingly at the 290 calorie salmon, zucchini and Minute Rice, while she rambled away about Brook's cancer and the lump under her arm.

Last season, Briana was vilified for refusing to allow Brooks in Vicki's house when she/Ryan/kid lived there even though it was Vicki's idea that he would not come to the house to begin with. She did not ask her mother to make Brooks leave the house on her account and I don't blame her for wanting that on record because Vicki/Brooks twisted it last season. JMO

• Love 17

It's not manipulative to choose to live states away from your parents. It's NOT. Brianna and her husband did what was best for their family, end of story. They are grownups and that's what grownups do. They could have chosen to live in Australia and Vicky would need to suck it up and accept it. I know there's a lot of hate for Brianna, but I'm totally on her side. I'm sure it was a tough decision and they weighed the pros/cons. Anyway, it seems like Vicky has accepted it and was very positive about it in this episode, so it really doesn't matter if we think it's unfair to Grandma Vicks.

Question: did it seem like Brianna/Vicky were hinting that more than just Brooks live in Vicky's home??

Brianna: I don't want to make people stay in a hotel just because we are in town.

Vicky: Brooks has business, so THEY'LL be out of town.

??? Did I miss something? Does one of Brooks's children live there too?

I dont think at this point in filming, Brianna is doubting the cancer. She is doubting the business trip. "People with stage 3 cancer don't travel." -- i.e. I know he's not traveling on business mom, I know he's staying at a hotel because I'll be visiting.

I could be wrong, but she seemed only suspicious about the traveling because it just so happened to coincide with when Brianna would be in town. And she's right, Vicky would MUCH rather that Brianna look like the bitch that made a cancer patient stay in a hotel, than for Brooks to get more bad press for making a mother and 2 toddlers stay in a hotel.

• Love 23

Briana, or any other Mom, should not be forced to have her children around someone they do not trust, that is her right and her job as their mother.

This. She doesn't even need to give a reason, imo. Many posters don't care for Brooks, as well. I'm neutral on Brooks, but I do not find Brianna unreasonable. She doesn't live near Vicki; as I recall, she was not comfortable staying with her mother awhile back (Vicki was redecorating and having Brooks around after she said she wouldn't.) Brianna is a self-supporting adult and Vicki is invasive and selfish. If I were Brianna, I wouldn't stay with her. She has a houseguest that is not family to Brianna and that can be uncomfortable. I think she didn't believe Vicki when Vicki asserted that Brooks would not be there. Vicki has a way of doing what she wants.

And what are the accomodations in the house with Brooks there? Too many variables.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 21

Eddie's beef with Tamra over Ryan is just the same beef that Simon had with Tamra over Ryan--except Ryan now has a wife and kid and is at least 9 years older.

Sad.  Blended families are hard.  Putting aside whether it's a good idea for a parent to support a child in Ryan's position--some families do that, some don't--it's impossible when you have a second or third husband involved.

The Beador restaurant kids were cute, with their menu and recitation of the specials, but it got sad when they said they wanted to make things better for the parents' relationship.  They should not have to do that. 

• Love 16

The conversation only got intense because of Vicki. They were having a normal conversation and making plans, and then Vicki didn't get her way, and then the subject of Brooks came up, so... DEFCON 3!

Yes, but that was before he was diagnosed with cancer. As Brianna said, how does it make her look to kick someone out of their sick bed when they have stage three cancer and undergoing chemo?

Brooks and Vicki went to Mexico after one of his chemo treatments.  Not every patient has the same restrictions.  I question how many oncologists Briana works with in the Emergency Room.  By this time in filming Brooks is no longer undergoing treatment.  So I am confused when the segment was filmed.   I have no problem with Brooks moving into a hotel or staying with friends.  It would seem to me that with six weeks in between treatment at the time there would be an equal chance that if he were still in chemo  he would be able to function out side the house.  I do believe he was also travelling to Mississippi to see his kids during the time.

There is no way possible to make Briana look bad-she does it all on her own.  If Vicki has had fourteen visits to OK and a trip to Florida and a trip to Illinois all in the past year, that might be why Briana isn't making any new friends.  Vicki should try visiting less often so Briana could develop some friendships.

• Love 9

Didn't Eddie first say Ryan had 6 kids and then corrected it to 4? Lol. If I was one of the people sitting next to them at the restaurant, I would totally be ignoring my dining companions and eavesdropping on their conversation. I'd probably give them my $.02 also!

• Love 10

Meagan-Don't like her, but I gotta say she looked really good tonight.  I usually hate her clothes and think her weave looks cheap.

Also, stop talking about other peoples medical decisions. None of your business.

I wonder if Brianna is required to bring up the whole Brooks thing every time she's on.  She just kept going even when Vicki was pretty clear she wasn't going to engage on camera. 

• Love 5

I think it's the other way around. Vicki was putting Brianna in a bad position by having Brooks leave his house for their visit - a man supposedly fighting stage three cancer. That's the only reason Brianna offered to stay in a hotel. I thought it was a reasonable and mature solution.

I have no problem with her decision to stay in a hotel, I only questioned why she was so insistent that they continue discussing it on camera.  She could easily voice her side of the story in her TH's, which she did.

• Love 4

Briana, or any other Mom, should not be forced to have her children around someone they do not trust, that is her right and her job as their mother.

I agree, Briana and Ryan don't care for Brooks for whatever reason and that's their business.

I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot, controlling Vicki would sever all ties w/Briana  until Briana acquiesed to all her demands. 

Also, Vicki grew up in IL outside of Chicago...she's familiar with tornadoes-if she grew up in the OC I could understand, 

Same w/me living in Chicago and earthquakes, we occasionally get a minor tremor but nothing ever like what they experience in CA.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 7

Brooks and Vicki went to Mexico after one of his chemo treatments.  Not every patient has the same restrictions.  I question how many oncologists Briana works with in the Emergency Room.  By this time in filming Brooks is no longer undergoing treatment.  So I am confused when the segment was filmed.   I have no problem with Brooks moving into a hotel or staying with friends.  It would seem to me that with six weeks in between treatment at the time there would be an equal chance that if he were still in chemo  he would be able to function out side the house.  I do believe he was also travelling to Mississippi to see his kids during the time.

It all depends on where you stand on Brooks' cancer - real or scam? I obviously think it's a scam, so none of these arguments make sense to me. And you don't have to be a nurse that works with oncologists to know that a stage three cancer patient, having just finished a round of chemo, shouldn't travel. Heck, even I know that, and I'm no doctor! Vicki's house of cards is unraveling, and she's running scared.

• Love 8

I'm now in Orlando and the place where my husband went to BC, RTC Orlando, is now a really nice housing area. There are some traces of he Navy base but it is mostly born. My brother was in El Toro in the late 70's and could see Disneyland's fireworks from where he live. Those Califonria bases were all in the process of closing when I was at Pendleton.

Could Ryan be Field Artillery? My son is National Guard. His MOS is field artillary and he went to BC and for his school at FT Sill. There were people from other branches attached. I went to Ft Sill for his graduation. If Briana is anywhere near there, then I feel for her.

Thank you to you, your husband, your friend, and your family friend for your service to our country.

• Love 18

I have no problem with her decision to stay in a hotel, I only questioned why she was so insistent that they continue discussing it on camera.

Briana answered this very question. Because Vicki does everything to protect Brooks, and it makes Brianna look like the bad guy. Every time. Brianna's been on the show a long time - as long as Vicki. She knows how it works.

• Love 18

Also, Vicki grew up in IL outside of Chiago...she's familiar with tornadoes-iIf she grew up in the OC I could understand,

Same w/me living in Chiago and earthquakes, we occasionally get a minor tremor but nothing ever like what they experience in CA.

Agreed, here in the Midwest tornadoes are not unusual. There was no reason for Vicki to act the way she did (except for attention) as she grew up here. Most of us do have basements, crawlspaces or interior bathrooms, rather than storm shelters, but other than that Vicki had no reason to make it all about her.

• Love 6

I think the reason why Briana wanted to continue on camera was because she believes that Brooks is fake.  Whether he is or isn't, I don't know for sure.  But she does and I think that's her reasoning. 

Briana was totally wrong to say that her mother shouldn't have someone living in her house that her family doesn't like.  That's up to Vicki.  And I think that the reality is that Vicki doesn't like Ryan but with two grandchildren, she deals with it.  At least on camera.

• Love 7

Thank you to you, your husband, your friend, and your family friend for your service to our country.

I'm actually The sponsor in my family. My brother was a Marine. When I joined the military it had to be Marines or I would never live it down. My first husband was a Marine. My second was Navy but was injured in boot camp and discharged. My son is 4 years into a 6 year stint in the National Guard. Our best friends was Marines, then Navy, now retired.  I am medically retired from the marines.  People always thank my husband for his service and ignore me,  

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 10

I don't get all the Brianna hate in this forum. I haven't see every episode of this show, so perhaps I missed something, but Brianna seems sensible, takes care of her family, and could have turned out much worse with Vicki as a mother.

• Love 24
Vicki said Brooks was not going to be in the home when Briana was going to visit...that should have ended the discussion. Briana has said her piece repeatedly about Brooks and her mom likely made a decision to have Brooks stay elsewhere during the visit to keep everyone calm. I think Briana should have just said 'okay' and let it go.

I took the whole thing to be Brianna saying that given that Brooks has cancer, and she knows that cancer patients at that stage should not travel, she will stay in a hotel, rather than be the asshole that made a sick man relocate. If Brooks did have cancer, this would make sense. Of course, she does not believe Brooks has cancer, so she is purposely calling out her mom and not letting her get away with Brooks living in the house. I personally think that because Brianna was/ is so against Brooks living in the house, they made up the cancer story so Brianna would sympathize, being a nurse. Obviously, it's not working. I feel bad for Brianna having a mom that is obviously a con artist. How awkward and messed up. To know your mom is lying to you and have to play along is really massive mind games. My husband's mom is recovering from breast cancer, and though she is in remission, the chemo pills make her very tired and even though she would love to have company all the time, she really does need extra time for resting and taking it easy. I'm always careful to watch her eyes and if she seems weary or like she isn't feeling well, I encourage her to rest or tell her that I want to make a surprise for her so she has to nap for an hour so I can make it and she can't peek. 

Anyhoo, the best part of the show was the meal Shannon's kids made. That was SOOO FUNNY! I loved how the menu had prices-- make some cash while making dinner for your parents, why not charge them? Hahahaha. That's something I would have done as a kid. And I LOVED how the daughter brought David beer and told him, "Don't worry dad, these are free." SO CUTE!

Can't wait for Brooks to get busted next episode! Yes!

• Love 8

I'm actually The sponser in my family. My brother was a Marine. When I joined the military it had to be Marines or I would never live it down. My first husband was a Marine. My second was Navy but was injured in boot camp and discharged. My son is 4 years into a 6 year stint in the National Guard. Our best friends was Marines, then Navy, now retired. I am medically retired from the marines. People always thank my husband for his service and ignore me,

A woman who served in the Marines and the Navy, in a military marriage with a son serving in the National Guard? You have nothing but the utmost respect and gratitude from me!

• Love 19

Briana answered this very question. Because Vicki does everything to protect Brooks, and it makes Brianna look like the bad guy. Every time. Brianna's been on the show a long time - as long as Vicki. She knows how it works.

I see it differently,  I think Vicki asked Brooks to stay in a hotel (or he volunteered) during Briana's visit, to honor Briana's feelings because she'd rather have her daughter and grandkids stay with her so she (it's all about her, as usual) can spend more time with them.  I honestly don't think she's trying to make Briana look like the bad guy.

• Love 10

Really, because I am an AIDS patient with tcells below 200. That is definitely in the danger zone. That makes me high risk for OI's. But I'm leaving for Europe for 6 weeks on Oct 4th.  My doctor is well aware and not concerned. I'm going to live my life and I refuse to let my disease control it.

But Brooks isn't traveling to take an exciting trip to Europe like you are, he's "traveling" just to vacate the premises while Brianna's in town. In other words, there's no "I'm going to live my life, damnit!" attitude going on here. Plus, that's great that you have your doctor's consent to go on your trip, which makes me wonder how Brooks' doctor feels about his traveling?

• Love 8

A woman who served in the Marines and the Navy, in a military marriage with a son serving in the National Guard? You have nothing but the utmost respect and gratitude from me!

Just marines :). Our best friend was marines, got out, became a single dad and joined the Navy. They were the branch that would allow him in as a single dad, but he had to appoint my husband and I as legal guardians. I think my son will join a different branc, or got full time ARMY when he gets out. He actually started out RI National Guard, moved down here to Florida National Guard and just moved back to RI.. They had an opening and he took it 

• Love 4

I felt for Brianna, being so happy to go out for dinner. I am not familiar with military life, but wouldn't there be other youg wives/moms for her to socialize with on or near base?

Having lived in OK for a few years, I was impressed that they had an underground shelter. We always headed for an interior bathtub, wondering if we should bring a mattress for cover!

Have to confess, I was not watching closely tonight. Couldn't watch Tamra with the minister or the Dubrow's skin care segment. Cringed when the Beador's daughter said they wanted to make them a meal to help with their marriage -- those kids should not be this involved!!!! Ugh.

• Love 4

I've lived in Oklahoma City the past three and a half years. Brianna....we do not get tornados every week. Earthquakes yes. Tornados no. Exaggerate much? I think so.

For those wondering, no one has basements here. As it was explained to me, the way the red dirt is causes foundations to shift so much, basements aren't recommended. The tornado shelter she has looked like an average size. It is becoming common to have them in the garage rather than outside as it is easier to get to in a storm. Mine is in my garage. Plus it just looks random to have a big piece of metal in the middle of your yard.

I need someone to let me know next time Vicki comes to Oklahoma City so I can either not be here or witness her in real life. I agree with Brianna, this place stinks and is boring. I'm anxious to move!

Someone mentioned Tamra, Vicki and Brianna being in NYC all happy and how it must have been because they knew Brooks was no more. Did he and Vicki finally split?

I applaud Eddie. He was on the money regarding Ryan. I get the sense of future issues between him and Tamra.

Meghan strikes me as someone who constantly needs to be the center of attention.

Edited by Mischievious
  • Love 10