Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E19: Live Round 3

• Start Topic

Somewhere, the ex-con Magician is making something disappear. Way to go show for purposely bringing back Daditude! to finish 12th....and then 4 buzzer them for good measure.

I'm not sure anyone is actually better at their talent that the Metal Mulishia guys.....and yet I don't see them moving on w/out the Dunkin Save. It's not a great made for TV act. The limited camera angles compared to something like the X Games doesn't do them any favors. Going 2nd didn't help either...

Again, only Howard is willing to tell the Giant dance act it fundamentally is too big and doesn't work. You could remove 2/3rds of them and it still would be too busy.

Methinks other than Oz and maybe the blind dancer, we are going to get hit over the head w/ tons of advancing music acts...maybe even more than the previous two weeks. Oz is awesome (and I'm always clueless...so there's that), and I hope upon hope that a significant chunk of AGT's audience double dips w/ SYTYCD just so they are all clear that Benjamin would be an also ran if he was compared to other contemporary soloists w/out his backstory.

I'm worried for MFB, the singer was weaker than she's been in the previous two rounds. Hopefully the "Andy Griffith" nature of their package and their joy in performing pulls them through, or at least into the running for the Dunkin save. My guess is Alicia, Daniella, Freelusion, Selected of God will all advance. I honestly have no idea if America will vote through a "professional regurgitator". IMO, I wouldn't.

Gary was miles better than Myq. I think he could be a Dunkin save candidate. Although in mentally remembering the entire night and all 12 acts, he returned to my memory dead last...so make of that what you will.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

Chapkis Dance Family: I do not remember these guys from their audition.  They lacked something.  I'm not sure what it is. Excitement maybe? They are better than DM nation.  I think their routine is busy and maybe there are too many people on the stage.  

Metal Mulisha Fitz Army: Their name is too long. I really like these guys.  The trick where the guy totally let go of the bike was wild. He just kind of floated there. They must have filmed this segment last week. Heidi was wearing that same black strapless dress. 

Daditude: Nice. Their pre-package was about their middle age aches and pains. I don't get this at all. They brought these guys back - probably passing up some much better acts, then they all buzz them.  I think that's pretty rude.  I agree that they should not be allowed to use their buzzers in this stage of the competition. They aren't as talented as the other acts, but if I remember correctly, this was a better routine than last time.  I was surprised that Heidi X'd them.  She let the other act finish and this was a better act. I don't know if they're pissed, but I almost feel pissed for them.  Almost. 

Alicia Michilli: She sounded nervous and a little warbly.  Definitely not haunting. 

Gary Vider: He had a slow start, but that last joke about being in the deli was pretty funny. 

Mountain Faith Band: I think they should have picked a better song. The vocals didn't seem as strong this time around, but I don't trust the sound guys on this show either. 

This show made it through the whole first hour without a sob story. 

Oz Pearlman: I think that was a really good trick. 

Selected Of God: I love a really good gospel choir.  I don't love these guys.  It's not the kind of gospel I like.  I don't think they sound very good, but it could be the choice of song - or the arrangement.  Or once again, the AGT sound people. 

The Professional Regurgitator: Gross. It was a good trick though. He has become very good with people and stage banter. 

Benjamin Yonattan: This is where the sob stories start. We almost made it to the end.  He's been practicing. This was better than last time.  He's very good at the tricks.  Still not good at actual dancing.  He might go through based on mediocrity of most of the other acts. Howard was pretty diplomatic on letting him know that he probably won't last long in the competition.  I don't agree that it's about multi media though.  It's about really being able to dance.  

Daniella Mass: I think she was singing in English. Every once in a while it sounded like she was singing an English word, but I wasn't sure.  Other than hearing an English sounding word once in a while, it sounded like she wasn't singing any words at all.  

Freelusion: I'm too distracted by the lameness of this story to care if the dancing is good or not.  It was really kind of stupid.  

The only people who should go through are Metal Mulisha Fitz Army, Oz Pearlman, and The Regurgitator.  

The only people I want to go through are Metal Mulisha Fitz Army and Oz Pearlman.  I don't care about any of the other acts.  

• Love 2

Howie deserves a TON if scorn for his horrendous joke about bulimia.  I'll bet a lot there is another mea culpa from him tonight in the results show.

Oz was ridiculously fantastic.  Just give him a slot in the Finale.  

The audio techs really hurt the MFB.  It is simply unpossible that they would ruin both the broadcast and the in-house sound without trying.  Or, wink, wink, not trying.  They are the most unique and excellent of the remaining music acts/singers.  I'm not bitter.  No.  Not moi.  Grrrrr.  I hope they get through.

Regurgitator was tremendous.  His teeth?  Pretty standard consequence of the stomach acids coming up.  Got a joke for that, Howie?  Oh.  You already did.  My bad.

This round was miles better than last week.  No real clunker outside of daditude.

I would not vote for the moto guys, but that is not a function of their greatness.  It's format.  They should not be allowed to go forward.  No way they can do their act on a theater stage.

That last act's mesh of dance and electronics was beautiful.  Great execution, as well.  They are as through to the next round as through gets.

• Love 1

Allegedly the throat guy is a fake. Sigh.

I said this before, that I think it's some kind of sleight of hand trick, and a couple of people refuted me. But I'm sticking to my guns. I do not believe that what he claims to be doing is physically possible. And no amount of practice or "talent" can overcome physical impossibility. Any more than magicians can really make objects disappear or transport them across a stage. I give The Regurgitator credit for creating a very persuasive illusion. And I think that he was easily one of the best acts of the night, and should go through. But on the basis of being a talented illusionist.

Both women singers were meh. Alicia had a slightly better performance than last time, Daniella slightly worse. But I don't need to see either of them again. Or the gospel choir either. I've heard gospel choirs who blow the ceiling off. These people do not even come close to that. They're getting by on a feel good story.

I'm with Howard about the massive dance acts. With that many people on stage, pretty much all they're doing is jumping up and down and waving their arms in the air. On one particularly boring Sunday afternoon I watched a national collegiate cheer leading team contest on ESPN. All those cheerleading teams were more impressive than any large dance troupe I've ever seen on AGT.

Sorry, Freelusion bored me. I'm so over the mixed media dance acts. At this point they all blur together.

Gary the comedian was so-so, but way better than Myq Kaplan, so I'd still like to see him go through. Oz the mentalist did an amazing trick, but what's with the fact that they only let two of the judges speak before rushing off to a commercial? They really didn't give him his due, and I'm worried that might cost him.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

Yes.  They need to take the buzzers away at this point of the competition.  They are no longer "judging" we are, so it would have been nice to see the whole act for Daditude instead of that uncomfortable silence after the last buzzer.  What a bunch of crap.  And AGT were the ones to bring them back, not us, so let us decide if we want to put them through.  Sheesh this show....... 

• Love 7

1.  Howie *did* apologize during his comments to Daniella.  I don't know if it was self-awareness, other judges pointing it out, or checking Twitter during a commerical, or a combination, but he was sincere and mentioned his own battles, so it was a good effort to recover from a mistake.

2.  Freelusion did a nice job reacting/dancing to what was happening on the screen, and the stairs helped. It's been done before, but they did it well.

3.  Oz Perlman wouldn't have fooled Penn & Teller with that trick (and didn't even fool me).  They would have said his coverage of...making the prediction...could have been smoother, and that the judges might not be familiar with The Price is Right (so maybe he could have just asked Howard to be a gentleman and pick a different number)--though the price of the gumballs was funny in either direction.  Other than that it was close to the Lottery Ticket trick from two years ago, but he didn't skimp on props.

4.  Was making Daditude feel bad worth the 12 seconds of time it may have saved?  They're people. It wasn't my favorite act, but it wasn't 4-buzzer bad.  They might get sympathy votes for that.  (Also I liked the DeLorean.)

• Love 2

Chapkis Dance Family: I actually liked them. I appreciated the energy and think there was some skilled dancing going on... somewhere. This is one of many acts over the years done no favors by the weird camera cuts. I get that they don't want to do a long still shot of the stage, but you kind of need to see the whole stage for a big act like this.

Metal Mulisha Fitz Army: They're good at what they do no doubt, but if you can't perform the act on the Radio City stage it seems out of place.

Daditude: On the one hand, why bring back those guys rather than the ex-con magician? Or the martial arts girl? Or Duo Vladimir? On the other hand, if you DO bring them back, don't buzz them out during live rounds. If the judges wanted to buzz them out, they needed to do that during auditions or judges' cuts. On the third hand, they really were not good. Their dancing reminded me of the early attempts at dancing by the characters in the movie The Full Monty. (No, I am not suggesting that Daditude take their clothes off.)

Alicia Michilli: If a solo singer takes it this year, I can't imagine it being her.

Gary Vider: That last long joke about the deli was really very clever and well delivered. 

Mountain Faith Band: I was distracted by their song choice. Not because they bluegrassed up a bubbly bouncy pop song, but because of the pronoun issue. It's easy enough to swap "he" for "she," but every time she sang "one-un" instead of "woman" it sounded labored and jarred me out of the performance. 

Oz Pearlman: Very well done. I may forgive him for calling himself a mentalist instead of a magician one of these days.

Selected Of God: Their lovely backstory has gotten them far enough. There are far better gospel choirs out there when it comes to actual performance. I wouldn't actually object or be offended if they made it through, but they're not the winner.

The Professional Regurgitator: I didn't watch. I almost rewound to watch Howie make the inappropriate joke, but didn't even do that. (Without having heard the offending comment I do think Howie's apology was excellent.)

Benjamin Yonattan: He is not good. I mean, he's a good kid who will grow into a good man despite the unfair break life handed him. He is not, however, a good dancer.

Daniella Mass: What's with multiple versions of Bring Him Home on this show this year? I guess it makes sense since the most famous performance ever on one of the Got Talent shows was a song from Les Mis.

Freelusion: I agree with the comment that all of these type of acts are blending together for me. They weren't bad, and I'm fine if they go on, but they don't stand out to me.

Overall I liked this week much better than last week.

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 3

Oz and the Regurgitator were my favorites last night.  Oz for me borders a bit on boring during his set-up because it's kind of slow going, but I always enjoy the outcome.  The Regurgitator, whether it's real or Memorex, is impressive.  Either he's a complete freakshow or he's quite good with the sleight of hand magic.

I thought Benjamin the blind dancer boy was much improved last night.  I still maintain that he's where he is in the show because of his backstory, but he definitely seemed to be benefiting from some sort of professional dance help this episode.  I don't love that particular style of contemporary dance on anybody though (blind or otherwise), just a bunch of tricks without any substance . 

Poor Daditude.  I mean, they weren't good, but no buzzing during this round. It's just rude. Especially to a group that was hand picked to be back on the show.  I don't know why they were chosen, especially when there were really cool acts like Duo Vladimir that could have come on instead. But whatever the reason, the four Xs was just poor form.

I thought Daniella was awful.  Halfway through my DH turned to me to ask if she was singing in Spanish or English. I love that song, it's so powerfully haunting when done properly (you know, like by a man with an incredible range) but she tortured it.  Seriously tortured it.  

I want to like Freelusion (because damn, the male dancer is built like woah!) but I just find them boring. They don't do enough dancingcs.  I think they do a good job at working with the projected images but it's just dull.  And I'm not sure I understood the story at all this week.  I'm over that kind of performance in general.

Gary Vider is good, but his slow style of comedy is hard in a 90 second spot.  I think the comedians that thrive on this show are the ones that work faster, you get in more jokes and make a bigger impact.  The slow style is a bit hard to get into in such a short time frame. That being said, his deli joke was really funny.  

• Love 2

Gary Vider is good, but his slow style of comedy is hard in a 90 second spot.

Plus he wasted time by starting his set with what the comedians last year on Last Comic Standing got raked for: NEVER come out and say, "Hi, how is everyone? How are you guys?" Just come out and start your set.

• Love 4

Nick said in 10 years of AGT we've never had an act like Metal Mulisha... yes we have? I'm pretty sure we've had other crazy motocross groups. Why do they always say things like this?

Can we please have a moment of silence for all the acts that could've been brought back instead of Daditude? Aiden Sinclair, Duo Vladimir, Alex Boye, literally anyone...

The 4 X's were glorious though. The only other act I remember getting completely buzzed at this stage was the guy a few seasons ago who played brooms and vacuums as instruments, but Sharon at least waited until he finished to give him the final buzzer. Bye, Daditude!

The Professional Regurgitator is the best kind of disgusting. I can't believe I actually like him. His presentation is just fantastic.

"I want to succeed as a dancer, not a blind dancer." So stop hitting us over the head with your sob story.

The singing acts this week were all so boring. I almost fell asleep during Daniella.

I only care about Gary, Oz, and the regurgitator making it through.

• Love 5

Can we please have a moment of silence for all the acts that could've been brought back instead of Daditude? Aiden Sinclair, Duo Vladimir, Alex Boye, literally anyone...

Or Vita. For "the boys," as Heidi would say.

Another reason I don't believe that the Regurgitator (funny how they stopped using his real name) actually swallows anything was his assurance to the judges that the lock and ring were dry. Not to get gross, but if an object had actually made a round trip through the esophagus and stomach, no way would it be dry when it came back out.

My guess regarding Howie's apology was that the producers read him the riot act during a commercial break.

I must be dense, because people keep saying that it's obvious how Oz does his tricks, but I'm clueless.

Does anyone else think that Gary Vider is the human version of Ira the Puppet? (or vice-versa)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

3.  Oz Perlman wouldn't have fooled Penn & Teller with that trick (and didn't even fool me).  They would have said his coverage of...making the prediction...could have been smoother, and that the judges might not be familiar with The Price is Right (so maybe he could have just asked Howard to be a gentleman and pick a different number)--though the price of the gumballs was funny in either direction.  Other than that it was close to the Lottery Ticket trick from two years ago, but he didn't skimp on props.

I almost never "get" how a trick is done. BUT

to my very unskilled and unobservant eyes, it seemed like the page inside the envelope was one of those Magic Screen boards. You know the type you used to have as a kid where you had a piece of cardboard with a film over it and a little red stylus. You wrote on it, and it showed gray, then you could lift the screen and do it over and over and over. 

Or, similarly, like the writing that would result from the inside of the envelope having graphite/carbon paper lining. Pressure wrote through the envelope. 

Either way, he "wrote" through the envelope while Nick took the sticker off the front/the video was showing. Whatever Mel put, he was going to write 2 off. Good thing she didn't guess 997 or some ludicrous amount. And why he didn't want Howard picking a number just 1 or 2 off and being more "deserving" of praise

I don't know how the numbers got in the gumballs - again, I next to never get these things. But it seems like standard magician fare.

Not to say I wasn't entertained by it! What he does he does well. And he did a great integration of pre-show plants (and AGT lurrves twitter integration), banter, story, etc. It's just that one bit that seemed obvious to me.

• Love 3

Their is a wireless receipt printer in the gumball machine, and someone is sending it a command to print the receipt. You can't see it because it is covered by the gumballs.

Edited by Doug
  • Love 3

I'm with KarateKate and Doug--I can't prove that's how the parts of the trick were done, but that's how I would have done it (and otherwise some of the things, like removing the AGT sticker and being upset that Mel and Howard had the same prediction) didn't fit.

Does anyone else think that Gary Vider is the human version of Ira the Puppet? (or vice-versa)

I was actually thinking this.  It's a year of similar acts, between the Large Group of Dancers, the Dancing in Front of A Screen, and AGT staples like young singer/dancer and teen singer/dancer.  Doing something really well can be more entertaining than doing something original but badly, but I'd like to see more divergence.

It's possible The Regurgitator uses a combination of tricks, including "faking it" and "really doing it", as opposed to one single method.  That would be impressive and fit the acts to a theme.

• Love 2

I felt like this was the least impressive of the 3 shows for this round. I don't think I could pick 7 acts I want to go through.

Chapkis Dance Family: Way too many people. Even with less people they'd still be mediocre. The moves were not impressive and they didn't have a "wow" moment.

Metal Mulisha Fitz Army: I like the "we've never seen anything like this" comment because we see something like this almost every year. This is a fun group but how in the world would this work in a Vegas auditorium? They won't make it very far because these groups never do.

Daditude: Who dropped out? I was very surprised to see these guys back. I'm pretty sure they were brought back to fail. The act was not good but four Xs was uncalled for. It's like in the audition rounds when the judges put through stupid acts like the "professional cuddler" then rip 'em a new one the next round for being a stupid act. YOU judges put the act through. No one to blame but yourselves. I would love it if these guys made it to the next round, just as a slap in the face to the judges and producers.

Alicia Michilli: I generally don't like singers but I like her...not last night though. I think that was her worst performance. She will probably still make it through based on the fact she is a singer.

Gary Vider: He was pretty good but his delivery is too slow for my taste. Definitely way better than Myq. The comedians this year have been pretty disappointing overall.

Mountain Faith Band: I don't mind singing acts like this since they are quirky and not what we normally see. That being said, this was a bad song choice and really showed how weak of a singer the girl is. I think they will make it through though due to the mediocrity of most of the other acts.

Oz Pearlman: I saw Penn and Teller in Las Vegas a couple months ago and they said acts like this are always fake. It cannot possibly work unless everyone is in on it. I believe them, and as such I am not impressed with this act at all. These acts always use the judges as participants. It's just a magic trick. I think he will go through as a lot of people are impressed with him. It makes me wonder why the judges totally ruined that hypnotist act awhile back though.

Selected Of God: Another year, another gospel choir. They are good but nothing special. They will probably make it though for next round but their journey should be ending soon.

The Professional Regurgitator: My favorite act of the night by far. Even if this is just a magic trick and he is not swallowing anything, it is still impressive. He will go through for sure, and I could see him even winning it all.

Benjamin Yonattan: If he wasn't blind he would be long gone. This might sound messed up, but is he really blind? I can't say that I know any blind people personally, but it seems like when Nick talks to him for example, he looks up and looks Nick in the eye.

Daniella Mass: Not much to say. It was alright. But wow does her makeup make a big difference!

Freelusion: The effects were pretty cool but not much in the way of dance or story. Siro-A will crush these guys. I like how the harness didn't work so the guy was like eh I'll sit this one out. They will make it on to the next round though. Hope they step it up.

• Love 3

Chapkis Dance Family: I'm not against large numbers of dancers in general, but this act definitely could benefit from a fat trim. And seriously, why are so many dance acts these days so averse to using music that hasn't been remixed to hell? That's why they all look so flaily, they're trying to synchronize with the industrial noises instead of actually dancing.

Metal Mulisha Fitz Army: I bet this kind of act is really cool in person, with all the noise and everything, but it really doesn't translate well to TV. And I am of the belief that if an act cannot possible be done on the RCMH stage, then it should not be on the show.

DADitude!: I'm going to hell, but I laughed at the four buzzers. They really were underrehearsed, and looked pathetic next to acts composed of actual professionals. I have no idea why this act, of all acts, was brought back to fill a spot.

Alicia Michilli: Cute young white lady singer. If you've seen one on this show, you've seen them all.

Gary Vider: I like him, but I don't think this was his best set.

Mountain Faith Band: I'm just not interested. And I wasn't really paying attention, but someone upthread mentioned the girl changed the pronouns. Ugh, that is such a pet peeve of mine. Who tf cares if you sing a love song with pronouns that don't line up with your sexuality? Good lord, just sing the song.

Oz Pearlman: Best act of the night. His presentation was stellar and seamless.

Selected of God: Boring.

Stevie Starr: I still can't and won't watch it, but I did hear Howie's bulimia comment. Thank God he apologized, that was foul. And kind of problematic for a guy who's constantly trying to get people to vote for contestants just because they have anxiety disorders.

Benjamin Yonattan: The usual. Sweet kid, I feel bad for him, decent dancer, but he wouldn't have made it this far if he wasn't blind.

Daniella Mass: Yeah, I couldn't tell if she was singing in English or Spanish.

Freelusion: I thought they were much better than Freckled Sky, and I'm still not sick of these kinds of acts.

My picks to go through tonight: Gary, Oz, and Freelusion. I don't really care who gets the other spots right now.

• Love 2
It's possible The Regurgitator uses a combination of tricks, including "faking it" and "really doing it", as opposed to one single method.  That would be impressive and fit the acts to a theme.

Agreed. I don't watch him because that stuff tends to trigger my own gag reflex but considering the nature of the show I don't think it makes him a fraud if he's not actually swallowing everything. This show traffics in illusion, and that's fine. Lying about a backstory is gross. Slight of hand is standard.

Benjamin Yonattan: If he wasn't blind he would be long gone. This might sound messed up, but is he really blind? I can't say that I know any blind people personally, but it seems like when Nick talks to him for example, he looks up and looks Nick in the eye.

I believe at this point he is legally blind but has a touch of residual vision. I think his comments about this being his only chance were meant to emphasize that he's expected to lose what little he has left. In my experience, yes, someone with a little tiny bit of residual vision can still put himself in standard polite conversational position even if he can't do many other things.

Mountain Faith Band: I'm just not interested. And I wasn't really paying attention, but someone upthread mentioned the girl changed the pronouns. Ugh, that is such a pet peeve of mine. Who tf cares if you sing a love song with pronouns that don't line up with your sexuality? Good lord, just sing the song.

The more I think about it, the more it bugs. I promise, singing "this woman is my destiny" will not turn you into a lesbian! However, singing "this mumbleone is my destiny" will screw up the meter of the song's catchy signature hook. If it's that big an issue for them or their "faith-heavy" fanbase, then they needed to choose a different song.

• Love 2

The more I think about it, the more it bugs. I promise, singing "this woman is my destiny" will not turn you into a lesbian! However, singing "this mumbleone is my destiny" will screw up the meter of the song's catchy signature hook.

Good tips--what's more, there's another way:  they could have used a framing device, like "I asked Daddy how he met Momma, and this is what he said:"--people tell stories of what other genders have said all the time.  (What's more, to the degree singing a same-gender song turns you gay, singing an opposite-gender song will turn you right back, because 0=0.  That's the advantage of bad logic; it works in both directions.)

If Daditude was a last-minute replacement, that would explain why they had fewer guys available, and why they looked like they needed more practice.

Edited by marketdoctor
  • Love 1

The more I think about it, the more it bugs. I promise, singing "this woman is my destiny" will not turn you into a lesbian! 

Wait, what? It won't turn you into a lesbian?  Learn something new every day!

But seriously, if you don't want to sing the real words of a song, then pick another song.  They weren't being forced to sing this song, there are plenty of other popular songs out there that they could have bluegrassified and been just fine.  

• Love 4

I thought Oz slipped up, when Nick was peeling the sticker off the envelope, Oz's arm could be seen moving on the other side of the envelope.  Of course, that's because of the camera -  the audience and judges most likely didn't see it. 

I'm bored with the music acts, I fast-forward right past them, because this isn't Idol or The Voice, so singing is not what I tuned in for.

The regurgitator  - I don't get the praise.  I have no idea how he does what he does, but I also don't know WHY.  I hate watching it, I hate thinking about it, and I don' t think it would draw a crows in Vegas.    ICK.

• Love 2

If Daditude was a last-minute replacement, that would explain why they had fewer guys available, and why they looked like they needed more practice.

I think they only had five guys to start with, but I will concede on the practice thing. Who knows how last-minute they were called? Still, even if it had been as polished as possible, there were other acts more deserving of getting a second chance, like Duo Vladimir or the ex-con magician.

• Love 2

Chapkis Dance Family: Once again Howard hits the nail on the head about a dance troupe. There are good dance acts. But a hundred people on stage dancing in a mob with unoriginal cliched moves isn't one of those.

Metal Mulisha Fitz Army: The "they have families" VT bugged the shit out of me. But the actual act looked cool, of course. I agree with the people who have noted though that there's NO way this isn't far better in person.  The on-bike cameras and (for this show) good camerawork filming this helped though.

Lameitdue, er... Daditude: Yuck. Yes, it WAS that bad. I am willing to concede that the last minute nature (apparently) of them being that back was a big part of this. That said, they were overrated even from their first appearance.

Alicia Michilli: Okay. No better. A fairly good voice. No stage presence. When someone's statement after singing (the heart exploding out of her body) is more interesting that the actual performance?  It's a no go. 

Gary Vider: Greg the Fatass Roommate was funnier than him. He wasn't BAD, but the set was at best okay. Watching Mel say "shtick" and roll her eyes at Howie was funnier.

Mountain Faith Band: I personally like well performed Bluegrass, but I understand why it's divisive (especially in modern times when that "down home aw-shucks" veneer seems less authentic). It's not for everybody, thus a real hard sell as a talent show winner. Them doing mainstream songs AS Bluegrass might get some converts though. It certainly doesn't hurt that they have the somewhat pretty but accessible girl as the lead (that's part of the schtick too).

Oz Pearlman: Sigh. The Heidi stuff came off as creepy, not funny. Actually all of his talky bits are really very over-sold.  ANNOYING.  I just wanted to yell "SHUT UP" most of the time. Also, I don't know what the deal was with Howard. I don't think Howard picking the same number as Mel was planned and this guy had to roll with it.

Selected of God:  They're good, but we HAVE seen this so many times before. The capes amuse me though. And Mel WAS right about the soloists.

The Professional Regurgitator:  Hurrrrrrrrrrrl.  But in a good away. It's gross and weird (that pool ball going down was truly disturbing), but in a way more of a true tribute to Vaudeville than anything else on this show in years (at least that's made live shows).  I will say every time I see him and those teeth of his, I'm reminded of the apparent cost of what he does. 

Benjamin Yonattan:  I feel like I'm kicking a puppy or spitting in the face of America criticizing the "inspiration act". But I have to. Nice kid. Truly sad story. Mediocre dancing.

Daniella Mass:  She's an amazing singer, so if a singer MUST win (like they usually do) she's at least an actually great one. She does occasionally lose the plot a bit singing in English and seeming to slur the sounds a hair. But her tone makes up for a lot.

Freelusion:  A good act, of course, with either two OR three people.  I do wish we knew at least a little about their programmers and choreographers, because I don't think we've seen them at all. 

• Love 1

Actually, I believe he is Scottish. Don't tell a Scot that he is British!

Scots ARE British.

What they aren't is ENGLISH.

Given that they voted recently to STAY British, that theoretically means they are okay with it (even if a large minority does exist who wanted to change that).

In short...

British (not equals) English.

Scot is a subset of British--at least for now.

English is also a subset of British.

Scots ARE British.

People who live in or are from Scotland are Scottish. If you have studied Scottish history, are Scottish or live in Scotland, you know this is a touchy subject. Call them British or anything else if you want, but the Regurgitator is from Glasgow, Scotland, and says he is Scottish, not British or anything else. He oughta know.

AGT is the fifth "Got Talent" he's been on.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

There's a huge difference between saying that many of them don't like to be CALLED British and saying that they aren't.

Take Peter Capaldi (the current Doctor Who) for example.  Some git called him "English" in some interview, and the gist of the correction was that he would accept "British" even though he didn't like it, but was in no way English.  I've had similar conversations personally with many Scots. They don't LIKE "British", but they recognize that legally (for the time being) it's true.  

Whereas calling them "English" is just disturbing. It's like thinking every person from the UK speaks in Cockney Rhyming Slang or something like that. Mashing them all together.

My post was more about - someone goes on "Britain's Got Talent" and doesn't win, then they go on "America's Got Talent"? 

To me, the name of the show implies that the "talent"  came from that country.   It seems  like contestants should only be able to compete in one country's "Got Talent"  competition. 

• Love 3

I wanted to vote for Daditude.  Not because they are good, but it was ridiculous for the judges to bring them back (should have brought back the Vladimirs) and if they went through it would be funny.  Now, they were truly not good, but I don't like the judges being able to X in the voting shows because their Xs don't mean anything (don't eliminate an act from voting) and are just disruptive, and it's them that put them through in the first place.

The first mentalist trick was pretty transparent.  Inside the envelope was a thing you can write on by pressing with your finger (I don't know what they were called, but we had them as kids back in the 70s - they were white and you pressed on them to write and the words came out grey, and you erased them by peeling up the top layer and putting it back down).  He was writing on it through the envelope when he had Nick peel off the sticker - could see his arm moving.

For the gumball receipt, the "stock" number printed on it was in a darker font and different alignment than the other printing.  I think the receipt was real but then after the judges write their numbers on it the judge numbers get printed onto the receipt.  Then somehow inserted into the gumballs, or possibly as someone suggested, by a small printer hidden in the table/gumball bottom (I tend to think in the table so the paper sticks up into the gumball container, otherwise it would risk Nick feeling the printer when he's groping around in there).

Edited by Jennlee
  • Love 1

Backformore, this is what I found about Stevie Starr, the regurgitator guy:

"When he was on Britain's Got Talent, he made it to the semifinals. He has also appeared on the German, Italian, Czech, and French versions of Got Talent. On the French version, he made it to fourth place in the competition."

Now he's on AGT. If these guys get paid to be on the show like some other reality show contestants, then Stevie is making part of his living by being on "Got Talent" around the world. This also helps explain why the "around the world" episode of AGT showed so many acts that looked alike. Probably because they are the same people!

I wonder if the judges were in on the mentalist guy's act. It was too odd that Howard and Mel came up with the same number. Not a coincidence. It's like Howard forgot what number he was suppose to write but remembered Mel's number. Still, a fun act.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

It was too odd that Howard and Mel came up with the same number. Not a coincidence

It might be more than you think.  I was initially thinking 200 or so, but when he said "less than a thousand" I started thinking higher,  A third of the way between 100 and 1000 is...more math than I wanted to do, so I thought "325" as a reasonable, if inexact, guess.  

The rest is as explained above 

with pressure sensitive paper and a printer in the gumball machine. It's also why he was open to either of them changing their number.

"When he was on Britain's Got Talent, he made it to the semifinals. He has also appeared on the German, Italian, Czech, and French versions of Got Talent. On the French version, he made it to fourth place in the competition."

That's insane!   So people get to travel around and be on these Got talent shows in every country until they finally win one?  And the judges act like they've never seen or heard of anyone like him - he's so UNIQUE!!  It's like  the whole show just a travelling circus, and not a talent contest at all.

• Love 1
It's like  the whole show just a travelling circus, and not a talent contest at all.
I had a comedian friend who did both Britain's Got Talent and America's Got Talent. She didn't get paid for either, and I don't think she was recruited. She legitimately works in both countries and did Britain's Got Talent because she happened to be working there already when auditions happened. I had another friend, who is a variety performer, who was recruited for America's Got Talent. She didn't exactly get paid, but she was recruited and flown to New York for the NY auditions and I believe was put up in a hotel for it.

So I think it can go either way. People get recruited for sure, and when they're working pros, the show may need to comp them something to get them to do it. But a lot of working performers travel already, so may choose to do it for fun if they were already working in the area when auditions happen.

AGT doesn't have a good reputation in the variety scene, though, so that may also be a factor in why they recruit. There's not a great reason for variety performers to go on the show because it's so rare for them to do well.

• Love 1

This show was rerun here last night so I watched part of it to see Daditude, since I was cleaning the refrigerator (yes!) during their act the first time. I have to say, no, they were not in sync or "on target" as a group, but they had more dance moves than that first bunch that performed, the gigantic crush of flash mobsters who just stomped and waved their arms around, then made grimacing faces at the camera. It was curious that after two Xs, the camera went to the judges and stayed there for what seemed an eternity while Daditude continued to dance. So who know what happened while we were not allowed to see the act.

They were also hindered by terrible camera work and crazy smoke and lights on stage. No wonder they got confused and off step, it looked like a technical disaster going on. Or they were set up to fail.

I really felt sorry for them. I turned the channel so I didn't have to listen to the judges rank on them, if they did. I just assume they did.

After reading here how Oz did his trick, I could see how he did it. I was so amazed the first time, now I'm thinking heck, I could do that. And for sure Nick was in on it, blocking the white board while Oz revealed the written number of gumballs.

I would have liked it if a couple stage hands came out and then counted the gumballs live to see how many really were in there.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

So, changing the pronouns in a song (no matter how awkward it may sound) makes one homophobic?  Good to know.

The Regurgitator has also "performed" on the Jay Leno show.

Maybe Daditude was the only act available on such short notice--we've seen here that these acts travel all over the place to compete---some of the better ones were probably off trying to win Haiti's Got Talent or some such venue.  

• Love 3

I would have liked it if a couple stage hands came out and then counted the gumballs live to see how many really were in there.

I'm trying to work out a way someone could (in theory) do that.  The challenge is the celebrity guess would have to be close enough you could rig in a few more or less to make the count as close as you want.  You could use Penn and Teller's The Trick that Fooled Einstien, but that's a different approach.

Now he's on AGT. If these guys get paid to be on the show like some other reality show contestants, then Stevie is making part of his living by being on "Got Talent" around the world. This also helps explain why the "around the world" episode of AGT showed so many acts that looked alike. Probably because they are the same people!

That's annoying. I think they should have some connection to the country/ries act(s) they are in, or at least not having a Got Talent in their own country.

• Love 2