Type keyword(s) to search

Valerie's Home Cooking - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Condolences to Wolf and Valerie on the death of Eddie Van Halen, Wolf's dad and Valerie's ex-husband. 

Wolf announced Eddie's death: "I can't believe I'm having to write this, but my father, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning," Wolfgang wrote. "He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I've shared with him on and off stage was a gift."

Valerie shared this:

Eddie's wife Janie shared this online: "My heart and soul have been shattered into a million pieces," she wrote. "I never knew it was possible to cry so many tears or feel such incredible sadness. Our journey together has not always been an easy one but in the end and always we have a connection and love that will always be. Saying goodbye is the hardest thing I have ever had to do so instead I say so long, I will see you again soon in a place with no pain or sorrow."

Eddie was revered in the music world for his talent and innovation as a virtuoso guitarist, but he was first and foremost a person who was loved by his family.

Sad news.....I just wanted to share that Valerie appeared on Rachael Ray's talk show last week (before Eddie's death) and said that she will be coming back with more episodes of her cooking show in January.  They are also going to film a socially distant Kids' Baking Championship season as well, also to be shown in the new year.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

There's a long article about EVH in today's Washington Post.  Someone in the comments section mentioned that he did get credit for that instrumental section in the middle of Beat It. It was on the album cover.  So that's good. When that song came out, I was at a radio station visiting a DJ (actually I took him to lunch to thank him for promoting a special event my fdn was doing).  The song came on and the DJ turned to me and said, "That's Eddie Van Halen". IMO, it's the best part of that song.

• Love 2
On 10/7/2020 at 9:34 PM, annzeepark914 said:

What a talented musician!  Whenever Beat It is played, I look forward to hearing his (uncredited...can you believe that?) section. 

On 10/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, annzeepark914 said:

There's a long article about EVH in today's Washington Post.  Someone in the comments section mentioned that he did get credit for that instrumental section in the middle of Beat It. It was on the album cover.  So that's good. When that song came out, I was at a radio station visiting a DJ (actually I took him to lunch to thank him for promoting a special event my fdn was doing).  The song came on and the DJ turned to me and said, "That's Eddie Van Halen". IMO, it's the best part of that song.

Van Halen got credit - he just (allegedly) turned down any payment other than a case of beer. Since he actually reworked a bit of the song he was eligible for millions in royalties.

A cooking-related item in this week's sad news: Valerie used to make Eddie his favorite meal - Hebrew National hot dogs microwaved for 1 minute 47 seconds. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Is Valerie still married? She never mentions him anymore and he wasn't on her new show today . BTW her son is interesting !  

I’m sure she is. Her husband Tom is only on the show every once in a while.

As this was the first new episode in a while I couldn't help noticing how much more somber she seemed than before.  She's had a rough year like all of us but for her it started in 2019 with the loss of her mother and then a year later with Eddie's death.  And I'm sure the relative isolation with the pandemic didn't help.  Her comment that she wished she could convince Wolfie to live at home was annoying but revealing at the same time.  She already comes off as a "smother" with him but to admit on TV that you wish your 30 year old son would live at home with you is really sad and I had second hand embarrassment for her for saying that....My husband and I thought we could sense a little disconnection on Wolfie's end.  He seemed to be there out of obligation and acted almost like he wanted to keep his distance in some ways.  He loves his mother but wow, I don't blame him one bit.

I was watching when it popped on. Valerie looked like she was working hard to get through the intro. When she said she wished Wolfie was around 24/7, I understood but it was so sad—and I’ve seen him with her before on this show—that I stopped watching there. I hope she gets some grief counseling.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

I was watching when it popped on. Valerie looked like she was working hard to get through the intro. When she said she wished Wolfie was around 24/7, I understood but it was so sad—and I’ve seen him with her before on this show—that I stopped watching there. I hope she gets some grief counseling.

I agree.  I lost my father to Covid last year and that was bad enough but she lost both Eddie and her mom within a year of each other plus knowing first hand how hard it's been to grieve during the pandemic, I can fully understand how she feels. 

11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My husband and I thought we could sense a little disconnection on Wolfie's end.  He seemed to be there out of obligation and acted almost like he wanted to keep his distance in some ways. 

I've always gotten the impression that Wolfie's not comfortable being on the show.  Even before his dad's death.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

I've always gotten the impression that Wolfie's not comfortable being on the show.  Even before his dad's death.

Oh for sure, but this time even more so.  You could cut that tension with a knife.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:36 PM, marmalade said:

Is Valerie still married? She never mentions him anymore and he wasn't on her new show today . BTW her son is interesting !  

I know her husband doesn't appear frequently but he's been MIA for a while.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:52 AM, roughing it said:

I agree; I wonder if Valerie's FN persona is annoying to work with when it's your mom. Not that I find Valerie annoying but FN tends to make people re-work what's naturally appealing about them so they look like grinning loons who are sent over the moon when they have to drizzle olive oil over something.

As a brunette I was interested in the hair choice bc Valerie had said on Today she was looking forward to losing the blonde and going back to brown after the pandemic. Is the grey showing bc of the process to go dark again? I don't dislike grey hair; I'm just always looking for ideas for when the inevitable comes...

• Love 1

On 5/10/2021 at 12:48 AM, buttersister said:

Valerie has needed therapy for a while . Losing her mom and turning 60 seemed to push her to the edge last year . Plus her weight seems to bother her .

She was on the Today show crying and Maria Shriver recommended some quack who was some weirdo coach of some kind to do some stupid on  the air activity of putting feelings in a box  or something ridiculous like that !   I found it sad that Valerie felt she had to go to the on National tv to talk about her weight gain , age and her mom instead of using her money to get a good therapist ! Also , Maria Shriver ??  When did she become a life expert ? 

On 5/10/2021 at 10:52 AM, roughing it said:

I get the impression that Wolfie is an obnoxious spoiled brat ! He's acts like rude, big baby . He is not a teenager ,  but he seems like he is stuck at that  stage !  

Valerie obviously has doted on him like crazy .  She calls herself "wolfiesmom" on social media . Movie night with her grown assed son be his girlfriend on a regular basis ? Just weird ! 
He is always mocking her whenever he is on the show .  He also looks gross and unkept .  It's sad that Valerie can't see how she needs to separate and stop doting on her obnoxious son.

I couldn't believe the woman was Wolfie's girlfriend ! I think if he wasn't Van Halen's son she wouldn't give him the time of day.   

Valerie also acts likes she's not married . She never mentions her current husband at all , even when she was on Today giving details of her life . I wonder if Tom may have left or things aren't going so well since his wife is obsessed with her ex dead husband and acts like her adult son is 10 years old !

Valerie seems like a sweet , good person , but she seems like a mess ! 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, marmalade said:

Valerie also acts likes she's not married . She never mentions her current husband at all , even when she was on Today giving details of her life . I wonder if Tom may have left or things aren't going so well since his wife is obsessed with her ex dead husband and acts like her adult son is 10 years old !

I don't want to take away anyone's grief and I think an ex-spouse has an absolute right to feel a loss for themselves as well as any children they shared (no matter the age). But Valerie's sm post after Eddie's death made me do a double take. I don't know that it was intentional but it read as if she was the widow.

Between that and the son who acts like mom has cooties it's an odd family dynamic to present to the public. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, marmalade said:

Valerie has needed therapy for a while . Losing her mom and turning 60 seemed to push her to the edge last year . Plus her weight seems to bother her .

She was on the Today show crying and Maria Shriver recommended some quack who was some weirdo coach of some kind to do some stupid on  the air activity of putting feelings in a box  or something ridiculous like that !   I found it sad that Valerie felt she had to go to the on National tv to talk about her weight gain , age and her mom instead of using her money to get a good therapist ! Also , Maria Shriver ??  When did she become a life expert ? 

I get the impression that Wolfie is an obnoxious spoiled brat ! He's acts like rude, big baby . He is not a teenager ,  but he seems like he is stuck at that  stage !  

Valerie obviously has doted on him like crazy .  She calls herself "wolfiesmom" on social media . Movie night with her grown assed son be his girlfriend on a regular basis ? Just weird ! 
He is always mocking her whenever he is on the show .  He also looks gross and unkept .  It's sad that Valerie can't see how she needs to separate and stop doting on her obnoxious son.

I couldn't believe the woman was Wolfie's girlfriend ! I think if he wasn't Van Halen's son she wouldn't give him the time of day.   

Valerie seems like a sweet , good person , but she seems like a mess ! 

I don’t agree with everything you said, but I do agree about her social media name. I always found that on the odd side.

9 hours ago, marmalade said:

She was on the Today show crying and Maria Shriver recommended some quack who was some weirdo coach of some kind to do some stupid on  the air activity of putting feelings in a box  or something ridiculous like that !   I found it sad that Valerie felt she had to go to the on National tv to talk about her weight gain , age and her mom instead of using her money to get a good therapist ! Also , Maria Shriver ??  When did she become a life expert ? on her obnoxious son.

I have to cut Valerie some slack on the age and weight gain thing.  I'm a year and a half older than her and have gone though a hard time with similar post-menopausal weight gain and body image issues from getting older.  If it's been that hard on me I can only imagine what it must be like to live in California around the young and beautiful stars and be in the public eye like she is.  She was very public about her Jenny Craig weight loss so it doesn't surprise me that she would be talking about her weight gain publicly too.  I agree that she should get a good therapist to deal with all that.  I have one but unfortunately he's a man and just doesn't get that particular issue in my life.  Our society is very hard on older women, especially when you were very attractive when young and fear that slipping away.  All my girlfriends and I talk about that. 

I'll have to see if I can find that segment of the Today show online somewhere.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, roughing it said:

I just think he's not good on camera but is on camera because his mom has this show and invites him.  I don't think his demeanor or behavior is all that different from amateur people making amateur videos and all the inelegant awkward ensuing as a result. 

It stands out because a lot of people she does have on the show are better at being on camera.  I don't see his relationship with the camera as a reflection of his relationship with his mom.

I first became aware of Valerie during Sydney but I fell in love with her on Cafe Americain so I'm glad that show was honored today.

Did anyone see Valerie's Hot Dish that aired a few weeks ago?  It looked like a pilot for a new show and it's a show she did with Melissa Peterman (who I love) and Nicole Sullivan.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I watched a show this morning that included Colton and Cassie from a bachelor show(?). She called them friends and said since they traveled so much, she invited them over for a home cooked meal. When they got there, he gave her a book and said whenever he went to a stranger’s house, he always took a gift. Ha. Since then, he’s come out as gay. I’m very surprised that TPTB didn’t pull this show. It was actually quite awkward all the way around.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Wolfie a seems like a big spoiled mama's boy ! Valerie is a very sweet person, but she does seem a bit messed up right now .

It sure seems like Tom is nowhere around ! Not even a mention of him . I wonder if her odd behaviors of oversharing every feeling on Today , when obsessing about her dead hubby made Tom take off or if he took off and she lost it !

I like Valerie a lot and I like her show . I just wish this trend is everyone needing to share their personal  private feelings all time and crying in public about trauma would stop ! She's been though a lot , but she doesn't need some quack on the today show to give her some gimmick and fake therapy !  Celebrities need boundaries just like everyone else . Then again , now in the era is reality tv , boundaries don't seem to exist !

On a side note, Eddie was very talented, and Wolfie may also be talented, but I hate when Valerie posts  their  music. Can't stand that kind of music!  

Edited by snowydaze
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, snowydaze said:

Oh boy ! Demi Lovato? She is a mess! WTF is Valerie thinking ?

That it’s being done by the Hot In Cleveland people, so even if this flames out big time she still got to spend time with old friends.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, opus said:

That it’s being done by the Hot In Cleveland people, so even if this flames out big time she still got to spend time with old friends.

But who would hire wacko Demi? She is a lunatic !

• Love 1
(edited)

There needs to be a drinking game for everytime Valerie says the name "Van Halen "!  Geeze! She is coming across to totally nutso! She's constantly talking about her dead ex and his family!
Why did she divorce him if she's still so obsessed over him and talks about him more than her invisible current or hubby ?  Is she still married ? He's no where to be found and honestly I wouldn't blame him for leaving looney Valerie !  

Edited by marmalade
  • Love 2

I'm a fan of Valerie's and I appreciate not discarding family and the attachments you've built. But the sixth "my mother-in-law" reference was a bit much. 

I get she shared a son with a man who was probably the most significant relationship of her life and it's great that the relationship to the VH family is one Valerie recalls with affection. But between all the mentions on the show, her IG goodbye to Eddie, a kid who could behave a little less chaffing to his mom on-camera and current husband we haven't seen in over a year I'm analyzing this show like an episode of Lost. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Valerie Is understandably in need of help after major traumatic events in her life . I just don't get this need  for everyone to share every lthing with everyone you don't know  ! She has the money to get good, private therapy ! She needs to have a little dignity and self respect and stop letting the Today show exploit her real traumas with self proclaimed "coaches ", who have no mental health credentials.  She also needs to put boundaries on her interviews so she isn't crying when doing cooking segments as Hoda and Maria Shriver use her tears for ratings and to make themselves look empathetic!

Valerie also argues and engages on Twitter with crazy posters about politics snd social issues !  She should be above that!

The social media and reality show trend is just making everyone feel they need to share with "friends ", who are not really friends!

Edited by marmalade
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Valerie Is understandably in need of help after major traumatic events in her life . I just don't get this need  for everyone to share every lthing with everyone you don't know  ! She has the money to get good, private therapy ! She needs to have a little dignity and self respect and stop letting the Today show exploit her real traumas with self proclaimed "coaches ", who have no mental health credentials.  She also needs to put boundaries on her interviews so she isn't crying when doing cooking segments as Hoda and Maria Shriver use her tears for ratings and to make themselves look empathetic!

Valerie also argues and engages on Twitter with crazy posters about politics snd social issues !  She should be above that!

The social media and reality show trend is just making everyone feel they need to share with "friends ", who are not really friends!

I feel like that about every person who announces that they are gay, lesbian, bi, alcoholic, drug addicted, sex addicted, etc. I don’t care. I do not care.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, marmalade said:

When I read this I couldn't believe how it's exactly what I would have said.

I didn't know about her behavior on social media, though.  I would have thought she would know better than to do that.  Something must really be wrong.  She has had some publicly known traumatic events recently plus we all had a rough time in 2020, but I'm thinking there has to be even more going on.  I hate to speculate that she's having marital troubles but from the way she went on in this latest episode about her departed ex-MIL and husband and the conspicuous absence of Tom this season, it's hard not to jump to that conclusion.

• Love 2

Valerie certainly is into her late husband's family.  So over the top for me,  She also didn't look well to me (bags under her eyes).  Wonder how this makes present day husband feel when she gushes like this on national tv.  Sad to see.

On 6/14/2021 at 6:07 AM, cameron said:

Valerie certainly is into her late husband's family.  So over the top for me,  She also didn't look well to me (bags under her eyes).  Wonder how this makes present day husband feel when she gushes like this on national tv.  Sad to see.

I have a feeling she no longer has a present dy husband, and after seeing her behaviors . I don't blame him if he took off !

• Love 3
2 hours ago, marmalade said:

I have a feeling she no longer has a present dy husband, and after seeing her behaviors . I don't blame him if he took off !

I had the same feeling...almost posted it yesterday.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, marmalade said:

I really feel sorry for Valerie. Her parents are gone, right? So she's clinging to someone who was a big part of her life from her 20's on, I think. And her son most likely is no comfort to her (just based on the way he acts on her show...somebody in this relationship is too much or too little).

• Love 2

You know what?  Valerie has lost 3 very important people in her life in a short amount of time.  That is really tough to deal with, not only each death, but the cumulative effect of that.  Give her a break.  I believe she is still married to Tom, they seem like a great couple.  

• Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

You know what?  Valerie has lost 3 very important people in her life in a short amount of time.  That is really tough to deal with, not only each death, but the cumulative effect of that.  Give her a break.  I believe she is still married to Tom, they seem like a great couple.  

At her age, she should be able to cope with life issues and she has a husband to lean on.  After all, she separated from Ed in 2001, not  like it was yesterday.

Edited by cameron
24 minutes ago, cameron said:

At her age, she should be able to cope with life issues and she has a husband to lean on.  After all, she separated from Ed in 2001, not  like it was yesterday.

Just looked up her parent's deaths:  2016 and 2019.

1 hour ago, roughing it said:

I so agree. I would never presume to judge how far along someone should be in the grieving process at a certain point in time. I do wish she would take time off from the camera and deal with her grief privately but it’s her choice. I’m a naturally private person anyway and she’s been in the limelight most of her life. 

• Love 6

If Wolfgang didn’t want to be on his mom’s TV show, he doesn’t have to be. He’s a grown man, allegedly. This is just too intertwined for me even though my husband and I are very close to our kids. Something about this just raises my flags for some reason.

(edited)
12 hours ago, roughing it said:

ITA.  Also, I'm sure the pandemic has heightened her feelings of isolation and loss.  I know the name of that tune after losing my 92 year old Dad to Covid last year.  He was my last close family left.  It's just me and my husband now.  I am not one to judge Valerie for not being past where she is.  I know that my grieving process has been very much hampered by all the stress of the past year.  We have all had to deal with more stress, and I'm sure she is no exception.  I will say, though, that as a person in the public eye she should know better than to be acting out her grief on TV for all to see and instead take it up with a therapist.  I had to do that and thank goodness or I would have overburdened my already burdened husband and friends with my issues.  They all think I am so strong, meanwhile I was sobbing on a weekly basis on Zoom calls with my therapist.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, cameron said:

Getting older doesn't help coping with grief.  That's a very individual thing.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 13

I just wanted to say that I have watched Valerie's show from season 1 and when it returned recently, I noticed right off the bat that she wasn't mentioning Tom. And it has continued through every episode so far. I know it's her business and they may still be together, but if you go back and watch older episodes, if she wasn't mentioning him, he was on the episode. There were very few episodes it seemed where he wasn't mentioned or appeared on. It was about as often as Trisha Yearwood's sister is on her show- which should be re-titled the Trisha and Beth Show - don't get me started on that! Valerie is still wearing her wedding ring, so who knows.

Anyway, I totally agree about Wolfie - he is very uncomfortable on camera and I don't get why she keeps asking him to do it when it seems clear it's the last place he wants to be.

And yes on how many times she mentioned her mother in law on the last episode. I get that she was in the family a long time and kept a good relationship with her and her ex, but it was ridiculous how many times she mentioned her and how great fried bananas are!

• Love 3