Type keyword(s) to search

Valerie's Home Cooking - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I did enjoy this episode of her new season! The recipes were good and the food looked fantastic.

She was great and seemed so relaxed!

Of course, she had to mention Wolfie but it was short and a quick picture with Eddie.  It didn't bug me like she did last season with the never ending Eddie talk.

• Like 2

I didn't see all of the eppy but the fish looked good and that cake?  I'ma have to watch from the beginning, 'cause I was whimpering at the screen.  OMG did that cake look delicious!!

I'm annoyed with her cancellation....shit, we've had other FN scandals (Hello, Bobby, Ree and Guy!) but they are still on the air.

Like her or not (I'm one of the 'likes', don't judge me!), her recipes were easy to do and she won 2 Emmys FFS.

Until Trisha Yearwood's show comes back on, I'm through with FN....I mean, GUY NETWORK!

(Stomps off)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I didn't see anywhere she was cancelled because of a scandal. I assumed it was because of ratings or the network was tired of dealing with an unstable employee.

With all the other recent cancellations happening as a result of the Time/Warner-Discovery merger it wouldn't take a scandal to get cancelled.  A whole lot of other shows have been either cancelled or shelved as a result of this merger as they seek to cut their budgets.  But in the process they are cancelling too many of my personal favorite shows. 

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if her recent behavior on social media had something to do with it.  Also she may have known about the impending cancellation well before she said anything about it and figured she could say what she wanted on social media and elsewhere. 

11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I didn't see anywhere she was cancelled because of a scandal. I assumed it was because of ratings or the network was tired of dealing with an unstable employee.

Can’t imagine them dealing with her every day. What a drama queen

On 4/10/2023 at 7:56 AM, Rightside said:

I did enjoy this episode of her new season! The recipes were good and the food looked fantastic.

I enjoy watching cooking shows more than I enjoy actually trying out the recipes!!  I just saw a rerun of Valerie's show where everything she cooked involved lemons.  Actress Melissa Peterman was the show.  The lemon cake looked good.  She used a lot of lemon zest in her recipes.  I've tried doing that in the past, but whatever it was I made was bitter from the zest.  Is that normal, or did I do something wrong?  I never tried zesting again.  I don't recall over-zesting though.  

5 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I enjoy watching cooking shows more than I enjoy actually trying out the recipes!!  I just saw a rerun of Valerie's show where everything she cooked involved lemons.  Actress Melissa Peterman was the show.  The lemon cake looked good.  She used a lot of lemon zest in her recipes.  I've tried doing that in the past, but whatever it was I made was bitter from the zest.  Is that normal, or did I do something wrong?  I never tried zesting again.  I don't recall over-zesting though.  

Lemon zest adds a lot of flavor but you have to be very careful to only get the yellow part. If you zest down to the white part, you’ve gone too deep. White part is bitter.

• Like 3

I'm enjoying this season and now am sad it's been cancelled. She stopped with the annoying guests, and seems to be focusing only on cooking.  An occasional mention of Ed and Wolfie is enough, and she doesn't dwell anymore.

• Like 2

I'ma kill you, Valerie!

She made this yummy looking cod dish and I tried it last week...she kept going about how cod needed to really be seasoned, so my dumbass went a lil bit heavy with the salt.  Good thing I didn't add olives, 'cause chillllle?!  While the dish was good, a few parts of it was salty af.

• Like 1

More unnecessary Eddie talk today !  she was cooking to fill up Wolfie’a fridge and wearing the T shirt for his band . She truly seems like a narcissistic, entitled woman . You would think Eddie was her husband when he died. So ridiculous.

i have a feeling the problems with her ex were not all his fault .

I like her recipes , but does Wolfie need fatty cookies and other recipes that are so heavy ? She acts like his 5 years old 

Is she stuck back in time and reliving the 80’s ?  I can’t imagine being her son’s fiancée !

Oh and she doesn’t have to put baking instructions on the ziti she’s leaving for Wolfie because she’s going to go over and bake it for him ! He can’t put a pan in the oven ? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, orangekit said:

Is she stuck back in time and reliving the 80’s ?  I can’t imagine being her son’s fiancée !

It's just unbelievable, isn't it?  When she went to the studio that guy Matt told her that Wolfie was "the best thing she ever did".  Wow, like forget about her career or anything else she ever did, the most significant achievement she ever accomplished was having a child - not to diminish motherhood because it's one tough job, but come on, it's like THE only accomplishment she gushes about to excess and now this guy has to jump on that train with her?  I'm sure it was based on his genuine admiration for Wolfie but once again it only feeds into her obsession with her son and ex.

Also when she said she got married in 1981 I was thinking how old could she have possibly been?  I'm a year and a half older than her and when I got married in 1980 I was only 21 and even back then people thought that was kind of young.  Yikes....

Also, she promised us a tour of the studio and all we saw was that one room which wasn't the studio itself.  I also thought we were going to see a sit down dinner with her son and the recording crew being served the food, not just thrown into an ancient refrigerator!

• Like 4
16 hours ago, orangekit said:

More unnecessary Eddie talk today !  she was cooking to fill up Wolfie’a fridge and wearing the T shirt for his band . She truly seems like a narcissistic, entitled woman . You would think Eddie was her husband when he died. So ridiculous.

i have a feeling the problems with her ex were not all his fault .

I like her recipes , but does Wolfie need fatty cookies and other recipes that are so heavy ? She acts like his 5 years old 

Oh and she doesn’t have to put baking instructions on the ziti she’s leaving for Wolfie because she’s going to go over and bake it for him ! He can’t put a pan in the oven ? 

Amen! 😻

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 5/14/2023 at 2:50 PM, orangekit said:

You would think Eddie was her husband when he died.

In her mind, he WAS her husband when he died. She can't accept that he wasn't.

Just when I thought she wasn't talking Eddie and Wolfie again this season, she picked up right where she left off last season.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Rightside said:

In her mind, he WAS her husband when he died. She can't accept that he wasn't.

Just when I thought she wasn't talking Eddie and Wolfie again this season, she picked up right where she left off last season.

She needs help. Seriously.

• Like 6

Rich celebrities find enabling therapists who don’t want to piss them off ! They pay a lot of money for therapy , so I’m sure some therapists don’t want to use the money , so they kiss the celebrity’s butt instead of confronting them when they are doing something unhealthy .

Also , Valerie seems to cut anyone off who dares challenge her ! She argues with posters and plates victim . I’m sure she’d fire any therapist who didn’t kiss her butt !

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, orangekit said:

Also , Valerie seems to cut anyone off who dares challenge her ! She argues with posters and plates victim . I’m sure she’d fire any therapist who didn’t kiss her butt !

That guy Matt at the recording studio was another one of those working for her and obviously so far up her butt he can't see out!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Lots of mentions of Ed and a few of Wolfie. Give it up Valerie!! Please!

Well last week we got mentions of both and Mrs. Van Halen (Ed's mom, not his actual wife) plus pics, so I guess this week's an improvement? Maybe? 

• Like 2
Just now, Fostersmom said:

Well last week we got mentions of both and Mrs. Van Halen (Ed's mom, not his actual wife) plus pics, so I guess this week's an improvement? Maybe? 

Maybe...  How many more episodes of this are left? Anyone know?

She really is acting like she wee just married to Eddie! So cringeworthy! Along with her social media victim videos about how she was treated horribly , she is also posting pictures of Eddie and his parents with Wolfie when he was young .

I like her recipes and she can be a good personality , but she’s obviously so narcissistic and mentally unstable that she can’t even how inappropriate she is.

Makes me wonder if her show was cancelled for  other reasons besides ratings .  Her fighting with posters while using obscenities on Twitter and hee crying sessions on Today probably didn’t help her brand . And who knows how she acts on the set?

• Like 4
10 hours ago, goldenpuppy said:

I like her recipes and she can be a good personality , but she’s obviously so narcissistic and mentally unstable that she can’t even how inappropriate she is.

Makes me wonder if her show was cancelled for  other reasons besides ratings .  Her fighting with posters while using obscenities on Twitter and hee crying sessions on Today probably didn’t help her brand . And who knows how she acts on the set?

I used to really like her too! Maybe Food Network started seeing her as a liability and figured they better cut her loose. I hope she is better on the Kids Baking Championship! 

54 minutes ago, andidante said:

I used to really like her too! Maybe Food Network started seeing her as a liability and figured they better cut her loose. I hope she is better on the Kids Baking Championship! 

She is definitely better on the Kids Baking Championship. She is like a totally different person, happy, nice and sweet with the kids. It isn't about her, but the kids so I think she has to stifle her craziness there.

• Like 3
On 6/11/2023 at 10:48 PM, goldenpuppy said:

I like her recipes and she can be a good personality , but she’s obviously so narcissistic and mentally unstable that she can’t even how inappropriate she is

I am not bothered by the Eddie talk, because as a Van Halen fan I find it kind of interesting. 

Her recipes are usually good but I have to draw my line at deep fried devilled eggs.  I mean, that's right up there with deep fried butter. Yuk.  (YMMV)

24 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I am not bothered by the Eddie talk, because as a Van Halen fan I find it kind of interesting. 

Her recipes are usually good but I have to draw my line at deep fried devilled eggs.  I mean, that's right up there with deep fried butter. Yuk.  (YMMV)

No wonder she is now obese.  Many of these recipes are deadly. 

• Like 1
On 6/13/2023 at 6:22 AM, chediavolo said:

No wonder she is now obese.  Many of these recipes are deadly. 

On the previous episode I felt like she was going overboard to "celebrate" indulging in her favorite fattening foods.  She is still "spiting" the ex by gloating that she can eat whatever she damn well pleases, I'm sure.  Meanwhile she's really just cutting off her nose to spite her face.

• Like 2

You know, Ina puts a stick of butter and real cream into many of her recipes. She's not a stick woman, but appears healthy, non-apologetic and more power to her (those thing have been put on my no-fly list). Somehow, I don't get the impression that she's doing anything but creating rich, tasty food. Otoh, Valerie's glee in indulgence, when she doesn't appear all that healthy looking, and seems steeped in underlying anger, is not a temptation to do anything but change the channel.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 6/14/2023 at 12:05 PM, buttersister said:

You know, Ina puts a stick of butter and real cream into many of her recipes. She's not a stick woman, but appears healthy, non-apologetic and more power to her (those thing have been put on my no-fly list). Somehow, I don't get the impression that she's doing anything but creating rich, tasty food. Otoh, Valerie's glee in indulgence, when she doesn't appear all that healthy looking, and seems steeped in underlying anger, is not a temptation to do anything but change the channel.

I think many of the FN personalities who didn't have a career as a chef fall into this trap. The professionals can develop a lot of different recipes with few ingredients. Michael Symon will make a main and side or dessert and a cocktail and everything fits on the small outdoor table. Meanwhile Valerie and Molly Yeh are making gimmick-y food with candy bars. 

On 6/11/2023 at 3:42 PM, Gramto6 said:

Maybe...  How many more episodes of this are left? Anyone know?

I think next week is the final episode. A tribute to Betty White. She's making Red Licorice Stuffed Cupcakes. 🙁

Edited by chick binewski
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

A tribute to Betty White.

Didn't she do that last season?

Valerie and Molly Yeh are making gimmick-y food with candy bars.

True dat. But Molly is a restauranteur now (likely some of those dishes are on her menu;-), previously was a long-time food blogger recipe developer and cookbook author.

Valerie is struggling through a second act, a former actress turned to food entertainment, in need of therapy.

• Like 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I think many of the FN personalities who didn't have a career as a chef fall into this trap. The professionals can develop a lot of different recipes with few ingredients. Michael Symon will make a main and side or dessert and a cocktail and everything fits on the small outdoor table. Meanwhile Valerie and Molly Yeh are making gimmick-y food with candy bars. 

I think next week is the final episode. A tribute to Betty White. She's making Red Licorice Stuffed Cupcakes. 🙁

🤮Grow up Valerie. 

Edited by chediavolo

I thought the tribute to Betty White was sweet, and not sappy.  I enjoyed hearing her stories about Betty, and learning that what everyone says about how kind she was to be 110% true. 

And by the way, those salmon rolls looked yummy.

• Like 3
(edited)

Agree it was sweet.  And yes the salmon rolls looked great. I need to grocery shop for the rice paper rolls, but I am going to try them.

Now the red licorice cupcakes, not so sure about them... I love red licorice but I'd never melt it and put it in cupcakes...just sayin'.

Edited by Gramto6

Sighs....I'ma miss the show.  Along with her realness and being a foodie, it felt like cooking with a friend.  How fitting to start and end the series with Betty White.

Hope she gets another show soon, maybe on the Cooking Channel.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
On 6/27/2023 at 9:02 PM, Gramto6 said:

@chick binewski I love Michael Symon! He is so cool calm and collected. FN really under uses him IMO.  His food always looks wonderful and he really teaches you how to cook it.

Hands down the best thing to come out of the pandemic was his FB show, which I believe was the origin of Symon's Dinners Cooking Out. And he is an excellent teacher which is rare. I don't know why the show doesn't have it's own thread bc it's really great.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, andidante said:

I guess Wolfie got married this weekend. His wife looked beautiful, her dress was stunning! I wish Valerie hadn't blocked me so I could see the pictures, LOL

While the bride did look great, the groom is a picture of a walking heart attack.  He really needs to lose weight.  Terribly unhealthy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 10/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, andidante said:

Yes he is so overweight. I worry about him. 

Thank you!

He looks even heavier than I thought he was I feel for him too. He better get his act together soon or he’s going to have a hard time making it to 50. Valerie buy your son a personal chef for his wedding gift.

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 3