Type keyword(s) to search

Daisy Johnson: That IS her name!

• Start Topic

Skye-as-hacker made a brief return in "Who You Are," and it was a reminder of many of the problems with it, or alleged problems with it. But it was also an illustration of how the powers that be have tried to address at least some of them.

Skye's "hacking" often consists of stuff everyone can do, like using Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. (Such was the case in "Who You Are."

Skye doesn't seem to actually use her hacking to get real answers. Last season, it was about Centipede and her family. This season, she hasn't been able to use her skills to get a line on Hydra very much at all, at least on camera. Like when Mack took out Bloom, she should have been all over that stuff getting additional leads from his joint, his cell phones, etc.

Some people have complained that Skye is too glam to be a hacker. However, this season, they've done a lot to de-glam her, which I think has mostly worked for the character. (But I will dip a toe in the shallow pool and say I miss seeing her like in that magenta dress from Season One.) 

It never made sense that Skye as hacker was apparently able to do things that the rest of SHIELD could or did not, or that they would trust her with her mysterious background over the many actual SHIELD agents. But now that Big SHIELD is no more, maybe there just aren't as many hackers any more. 

Now that she's developing these quake powers and has gotten some field agent skills, I wonder if her hacking will be a relic.

I think the problem with Skye being a hacker in the first place is twofold. One, an organization like SHIELD (back in the day, not any more of course) should have dozens if not hundreds of people assigned to the express purpose of countering the very things she was doing early on. Yes, a lone person with a laptop can get into top secret files and mess with them, it seems to happen regularly in the real world, but SHIELD should have been able to counteract and stop her. Which they did. Hell, they even had a bracelet ready to keep her and her friend from ever using computers. The second issue is that, quite frankly, hacking would be boring to watch. She might very well be able to sift through gigabytes of data and break down firewalls and a lot of other stuff I don't even pretend to understand but it would mostly involve us watching her sitting in front of a computer and typing a lot. They'd be better off having her walk into the scene and say "I reprogrammed the so and so". But for some reason the only thing they ever seem to have her say is "I checked his Facebook profile" and "Look at Youtube."

Edited by KirkB

The one time Skye's hacking was really shown as the asset it should be was toward the end of last season when they were all hunkered down in the first bunker with the first clone and she put time and effort into accessing top security satellite feeds to gather intel - it was a good idea, something not anyone could have done, and it paid off. That's how it should be. Most of the time, though, the hacking was just a plot device to get her into SHIELD with no effort really put into developing it as an actual facet of her character.

For a hacker character done right, the writers want to look to Alec Hardison in Leverage - there, his skill with computers was an integral part of the character, something not anyone could do, and was utilised effectively by the show in every episode. What he did was essential to the team in a way that Skye's supposed talents simply aren't but should be.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 7

Well yes, you're right. Hardison got them through electronic locks and security systems, created their fake ID's, etc. And he was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Hardison showed there is a lot more besides just sitting at a computer and typing a hacker could be doing. That's all Skye seems to do, for the most part. 

• Love 1

I think it's like on Buffy, Willow's skill was mainly that she was the computer expert. That was what she mainly brought to the team, until she started learning witchcraft and developing magic powers.

Edited by VCRTracking

From One Door Closes

Even giving her spiderman level powers would be problematic for me. Especially when you consider that for the mcu spidey with his proportional spider strength, reflexes, spider sense and web shooters would make him one of the more powerful heros in the mcu. I mean cap is up there for heros and he only has peak human strenght.

Widow and Hawkeye are avengers/agents of Shield, but if Skye gets ahold of her powers (which will have to happen) then she will be more powerful than them for sure, and could potentially go toe to toe with cap and iron man. So how will they explain if she is not fighting Ultron in May?

She is not ready yet and still with Gordon. Coming out of the season, however her Inhuman  training turns out  if Gordon is correct about what Skye controls we are not talking Spiderman proportional  strongman in a skinny frame power but Magneto change what you think about the laws of physics level of power. If Deathlok was to be believed when pushing a tractor much easier then a world's strongest man competitor, Captain America jumping off of the super duper Hydra tank and his extreme high dives into the ocean then Steve Rogers is beyond peak human performance by a long shot.

You are probably right about cap. Regardless as far as the extent of Sky's powers you are absolutely right. And that kind of annoys me because it changes this show from on about humans trying to keep a super human world secure, to a show about one of the most powerful super heros on the planet.

Eh, maybe she'll be neutered somehow (I could see Simmons developing a serum of some sort). Maybe using her powers to their full extent harms her, so she'll have to tone it down. Maybe she'll die. It's too early for me to be concerned about where the show's heading yet.

It's possible the very strength of her powers could limit their use. If Skye is so strong she cracks the earth and brings down buildings or flattens forests, she can't just go around zapping things whenever she wants. She'd have to be selective about when she used them or else risk causing damage to her friends and perhaps taking out the very people or thing they were trying to rescue. So she'd be walking around with powers but not uber-useful ones which make the rest of the team obsolete. To a certain degree the kind of powers they have given her are not necessarily going to be all that useful on a day to day basis. And it might also limit her field time if they don't want to run the risk of her losing control. If done a certain way giving Skye powers could actually limit her functionality and make her less of a presence rather than the center of the show, though I don't really see them going that way.

• Love 2

Judging by what no eyes said about her controlling natural vibrations, the way she could control the water and how she took apart the gun in her own hand a few episodes back makes me think it is no just a mass destruction power.

I hope they can find some way to reign it in otherwise the show will raise too many questions the writers don't have the power to answer. I just remember when say Captain America 2 came out, people kept asking "why didn't he call Iron man for help". But if Skye gets powers like i think they have described them people are going to be asking the same thing about her.

But Skye is Inhuman, those guys have had powers and have been hiding them for years and years. They'll keep hiding until the Inhumans movie, so whatever level of powers Skye has, if she's in the clutches of Inhumans and if their decisions are binding on her then she'll always be reigned in. The only problem is how they can integrate SHIELD and the Inhumans whilst keeping the Avengers in the dark. I mean, wouldn't Bruce Banner be really interested?

Yea if they went that way it could work. But since the show is called Agents of SHIELD and Skye presumably still wants to be an agent, and be part of the show it could be a problem. Plus Inhumans doesn't come out until 2018. I am just curious to see where this goes since her powers to me put her at a force of nature level like Thor or something .

If Deathlok was to be believed when pushing a tractor much easier then a world's strongest man competitor, Captain America jumping off of the super duper Hydra tank and his extreme high dives into the ocean then Steve Rogers is beyond peak human performance by a long shot.

Yeah, movie Cap has the powerset of the Ultimate Universe version rather than the "gifted decathlete" abilities of the regular comic book Captain America. Thankfully they stuck with the latter for his personality and idealism, though. (They also seem to have made his shield less powerful than in the comics, what with Cap being thrown back by grenades, weapons fire, and punches from a guy with a metal arm while using it. Some screenwriters and directors should watch that sequence where it stopped an all-out hammer swing by Thor without transmitting any impact to the guy holding it.)

• Love 1

She would be more Thor like since she's kind of half alien. Like him, she was born with her powers. Captain America and Bruce Banner were given their powers through science. The Asgardians, the Inhumans and the X-Men are on a different level then Spiderman, The Hulk and Cap. Simmons wants to separate them even further by those who are enhanced and those born with powers.

Makes me wish I had unlimited time and budget I go back and read the Quake books and related works. On Skye being super and a agent from summaries of the comics 

Daisy not Skye and not a inhuman but same powers is taken in by Fury and made his protege. She and Natasha are the only level 10 agents in SHIELD. Fury develops her powers and she is both an agent for SHIELD and a superhero. She is used at least once to take out the entire enemy complex in one attack. Quake eventually becomes the head of Shield. The high level superhero is also an agent I'd like to see how the comics did it. She develops her powers to the point that she takes out both Wolverine and Magneto by stoping their hearts and no other damage.

Having a super hero on staff that can handle a high level super villain showing up could be useful. This is the same problem that the Advengers has always had, how to make things interesting with the not much better than normal human Adventures like Mockingbird or The Black Widow when any attack that could actually hurt the more powerful members would turn them into red mist. Also the stronger members can take on any number of normal human enemies with ease why use a lower powered member. 

Sort of the same thing with Bat Man and Superman combo's, yes Batman can find a weakness or make the right gadget to handle foes way above his power level but Still compared to someone who can take out the planet it is interesting. 

Going back to old questions from the first page: 

Hearing Raina's take, which was second or third hand minimum when it got to her, it makes sense that what destroyed the village in Hunan were supposedly her parents. But we heard from an agent who was witness to the carnage and one dead agent had protected the blood-covered baby. Which brings up questions:

1) If what killed the village was Skye's parents, why did they leave her?

2) Were they killed as a result of the massacre (they were wounded fatally and died elsewhere)?

3)If so, why hasn't any other blood relation come a-calling?

I don't completely buy the they were-duh duh dunnnn!- monsters! in the strictest sense. There is an alien-based race that had the beautiful, humanoid looks and then the more monstery, considered barbaric side (iirc, Eternals and Deviants, respectively.) Skye could be from that part of the Marvel universe. Which would actually be cool, imo.

So we know now that her parents were alive after this time, though her mother was eventually dismembered then reassembled and her father could be said to have died that day since he cracked and went crazy trying to find her. And we know that her mother is Inhuman and that Raina is no direct relation.

But what about the village?  Did I miss an explanation about this somewhere along the line?  Was it Whitehall?  I'm thinking that's it, that Whitehall destroyed the village to kidnap Jiayang, I half-remember an episode that talked about that.  But why did Cal leave the baby when he went looking for his wife?  Why did SHIELD agents take the baby?  Or more specifically, why did Whitehall NOT take the baby?  If he didn't, then one would assume it's because he didn't think this particular baby was anything special -- so why would SHIELD?  What gave her the 084 status?

• Love 1

I've always liked Skye too. I like that we've come full circle with her. She came to Shield living in a van and looking for her family. We finished this season with her realizing she had found her family, it just wasn't her blood family. I also like that the pilot was Skye helping a "Super" and this finale, she's in charge of new "Supers." There's a lot of fun things with her storyline.

I hope next season we see Skye, Fitz, and Simmons interacting again. Those three have been my favorite Trio.

• Love 5

It took me a while, but I've grown to like Skye/Daisy. I think the moment I started to like her was when she confronted Ward about being Hydra. And when he tried to gloss it over by telling her his feelings for her were real, she just took one look at him and said, "I'm going to throw up."

There was no romanticizing or any confusion about her feelings for him, like they've done on so many shows. None of that Stand With Ward shit. She knew exactly what he was and in that moment, she was 100 percent done with him.

For that awesome scene alone, I will always love Skye.

• Love 7
It took me a while, but I've grown to like Skye/Daisy. I think the moment I started to like her was when she confronted Ward about being Hydra. And when he tried to gloss it over by telling her his feelings for her were real, she just took one look at him and said, "I'm going to throw up."

She called him a Nazi and a serial killer. How can you not love her in that moment? 

• Love 4

Well, it's sort of the combo of Daisy, kind of frilly, with Johnson, pretty staid, and the Quake powers that makes it an incongruous and so sort of an interesting name. It caps off the search for her identity certainly, but I agree it's not the coolest name. It's no C K Dexter Haven.

• Love 2

There was no romanticizing or any confusion about her feelings for him, like they've done on so many shows. None of that Stand With Ward shit. She knew exactly what he was and in that moment, she was 100 percent done with him.

For that awesome scene alone, I will always love Skye.

Totally agree. The reaction that both she and the show had, and continue to have, towards Ward and his "oh, my tortured past forced me into Nazi terrorism" nonsense, is one of the most endearing things about them. Bonus points for repeatedly shooting him in the back the second she had the chance and again for later expressions of regret that she didn't shoot him in the head.

I'm interested to see how her role evolves as this season goes on. It's fun to see her so in control of her powers and her team, and the fact that she seems to be taking up the better parts of her mother's vision (in terms of maintaining and protecting Inhuman culture) is a really nice touch, but I hope they keep her human (so to speak) and acknowledge from time to time that she must feel several leagues out of her depth, especially considering how far she's come in just two years.

• Love 4

I've always liked Skye. I thought the whole Obsolik story line in Season 2 was one of the best parts about it. There had been hints since the middle of the first season that Sky was more than meets the eye. Poor girl just wanted to find out about her birth family. She got a hell of a lot more than she bargained for.

There had been enough hints throughout the 1st and 2nd season that Skye was not your average human being, so her being revealed as an inhuman in season 2 doesn't feel like they pulled that out of their ass. Sooner or later, they were going to either have to shit or get off the pot.

It's funny to compare early Season 1 Skye to the way she is now, all inhuman, using her given name of Daisy, with earth-shaking powers. It's one helluva character arc...

• Love 1

I like what they have done so far, in that while Daisy is all about being an inhuman, she is still an agent of shield. She works together with other agents and still values relationships formed in season 1 (Coulson, Fitz and Simmons). I would like to see her have more scenes with May, however there have been some at least.

Edited by blueray

Actually, it's making a joke out of a young biracial woman reclaiming a name that Nazi's stole from her. But, K.

But both are Daisy and Skye at the same time. Also, I thought that Skye was a name that she chose herself when she became an adult and that while she was a kid she was know as "Mary Poops" (and boy that was a horrible name). 

But both are Daisy and Skye at the same time. Also, I thought that Skye was a name that she chose herself when she became an adult and that while she was a kid she was know as "Mary Poops" (and boy that was a horrible name). 

Yes, 'Skye' is the name that she had previously chosen for herself in adulthood, as she stated that she hated 'Mary Sue Poots'. 

However, after everything she went through in Season 2, which included meeting her parents, learning that she was supposed to be named Daisy Johnson at birth, learning that Nazi's were the cause of her family's separation, she chose to to go by "Daisy Johnson", to reclaim what was taken from her and honor her parents. 

The fact that this thread title makes a 'mockery' of her canon decision to change her name to the one that was stolen from her by Nazis, is deeply upsetting. I'm sure that wasn't the intention of the person who made the topic, or anyone else - but at this point, the fact that her name is not Skye anymore (and that it is Daisy now) should be validated by the thread title, not something to be joked about.

I think the name given to her at the orphanage was Mary Sue Poots. Still pretty bad.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 1

I think the name given to her at the orphanage was Mary Sue Poots. Still pretty bad.

For some reason, I thought that it was "Poops" and not "Poots". Still it's a bad name and I think SHIELD could've been responsible for that. 

Yes, 'Skye' is the name that she had previously chosen for herself in adulthood, as she stated that she hated 'Mary Sue Poots'. 

However, after everything she went through in Season 2, which included meeting her parents, learning that she was supposed to be named Daisy Johnson at birth, learning that Nazi's were the cause of her family's separation, she chose to to go by "Daisy Johnson", to reclaim what was taken from her and honor her parents. 

The fact that this thread title makes a 'mockery' of her canon decision to change her name to the one that was stolen from her by Nazis, is deeply upsetting. I'm sure that wasn't the intention of the person who made the topic, or anyone else - but at this point, the fact that her name is not Skye anymore (and that it is Daisy now) should be validated by the thread title, not something to be joked about.

Deep, but I still don't think that this thread is mocking Daisy because I believe that this thread was created when she was still going around with the name "Skye".

For some reason, I thought that it was "Poops" and not "Poots". Still it's a bad name and I think SHIELD could've been responsible for that. 

Deep, but I still don't think that this thread is mocking Daisy because I believe that this thread was created when she was still going around with the name "Skye".

Yes, I see that on the first page. But since it's been a season and a half, and she is no longer going by 'Skye' in canon, I don't think it's asking too much for this thread title to reflect the choice our biracial protagonist made to reclaim her name from Nazis.

Now I understand and definitely agree.

Send this post in a PM to Cranberry.

Now I understand and definitely agree.

Send this post in a PM to Cranberry.

Thank you so much for coming to an understanding about this. I just PM'd Cranberry about it, so hopefully we'll see a change in the title soon-ish.

The thread title is a direct quote from her dad, who was angry that everyone (including Daisy herself) was calling her by her chosen name, Skye, instead of the name he gave her at birth. It was never intended to mock anything. That said, I'm open to changing it. Anyone got a better alternative?

• Love 1

The thread title is a direct quote from her dad, who was angry that everyone (including Daisy herself) was calling her by her chosen name, Skye, instead of the name he gave her at birth. It was never intended to mock anything. That said, I'm open to changing it. Anyone got a better alternative?

My three suggestions: 

1.  Daisy Johnson

2. Daisy Johnson: Inhuman And Proud

3. Daisy Johnson: "Being different can mean making a difference."

Number 3 comes from a direct quote Daisy said during this season: 

"I want Inhumans taking action with S.H.I.E.L.D., to see that being different can mean making a difference."

If anyone else has better alternatives, please don't hesitate xP.

Edited by teenj12

The thread title is a direct quote from her dad, who was angry that everyone (including Daisy herself) was calling her by her chosen name, Skye, instead of the name he gave her at birth. It was never intended to mock anything.

I like this thread title since Cal was such a hoot and I can still totally hear him say it.

If it is going to be changed, I'd suggest:  A Snowflake by any other name is ...still a Snowflake.

• Love 4

Skye/Mary Sue Poots/Daisy Johnson: Still a Special Snowflake

Or ya know, we can leave Skye and Mary Sue Poots out of it completely. 

• She canonically stated that she hated the name "Mary Sue Poots", and it's heavily tied to her childhood abuse/trauma. 
  • Skye is no longer her name.

And inclusion of "Special Snowflake" is just plain Daisy-bashing imo. 

Edited by teenj12

A character having a forum is not a guarantee that everyone likes or admires that character all the time. If you're going to rename a forum and do it in a democratic fashion, then you have to consider all sides. So maybe it's just best to leave the name alone. If you want an all positive Daisy board then maybe suggest that and leave this board to the snarky snowflake name callers. (like me.)

• Love 2

A character having a forum is not a guarantee that everyone likes or admires that character all the time. If you're going to rename a forum and do it in a democratic fashion, then you have to consider all sides. So maybe it's just best to leave the name alone. If you want an all positive Daisy board then maybe suggest that and leave this board to the snarky snowflake name callers. (like me.)

So...changing the thread title to properly reflect the name of our show's lead is a big deal? This isn't even about positivity vs negativity. This about validating the name of the protagonist of the show we're all watching. 

I think it's a big deal to you, maybe. But by your logic, we should change the name of the Ward forum to "Hive - insert interesting comment about character." Also, we should remove all references to the Cavalry from the May forum name, because it would offend a fictional character to see it. But if you want the name to be descriptive then you have to consider all sides of the character. My commentary comes from what I perceive to be a certain amount of inconsistency in development the character by the writers - she's Skye - the computer hacker...no, she's Skye the interpersonal relations expert....no she's Mary Sue...Poots?...no, she's Skye the newly badass agent.....no,she's Daisy and she has powers now...I mean what's next - will she die and they'll steal the whole schtick from the Madame Hydra character where he reanimates her but leaves part of his cells in her, making people not sure if they're dealing with Daisy or Hive lite? And then we'll have to rename the darn forum again...

• Love 1

I think it's a big deal to you, maybe. But by your logic, we should change the name of the Ward forum to "Hive - insert interesting comment about character." Also, we should remove all references to the Cavalry from the May forum name, because it would offend a fictional character to see it. But if you want the name to be descriptive then you have to consider all sides of the character. My commentary comes from what I perceive to be a certain amount of inconsistency in development the character by the writers - she's Skye - the computer hacker...no, she's Skye the interpersonal relations expert....no she's Mary Sue...Poots?...no, she's Skye the newly badass agent.....no,she's Daisy and she has powers now...I mean what's next - will she die and they'll steal the whole schtick from the Madame Hydra character where he reanimates her but leaves part of his cells in her, making people not sure if they're dealing with Daisy or Hive lite? And then we'll have to rename the darn forum again...

1. Hive/Ward is an entirely different situation. They're actually two different people. Daisy is one person, who formerly went by the name Skye.

2. Likewise, the Cavalry reference in the May thread title is an entirely different story as well. The thread for May reads Melinda May. It has her name in it's title. Daisy's thread currently does not have her actual name in it's title at all.

3. What you perceive as inconsistency in Daisy's characterization, sounds more like you shaming a young biracial woman for being multi-talented (or rather, working to become that way). When Daisy entered adulthood, she self-taught herself computer hacking while she was homeless. She was invited to consult with Coulson's team because he recognized her skills. Becoming a bad-ass shield agent did not happen to her overnight. She trained all of Season 1 to learn how to defend herself, and only really honed her fighting skills during Season 2, after coming under May's guidance. Daisy getting powers also did not happen overnight. The entire show was building up to that as early as the first half of season 1. Why? Because she's the lead. This is her origin story.

Edited by teenj12

I'm not trying to shame anyone because they're (1) a woman or (1) biracial... My opinions are as stated - feeling like much of Daisy's development has come across as very jumpy and haphazard - just as you feel that her development is earned. It's obvious you care a lot about representing Daisy well and that's very cool. I just don't feel the same way you do and we have to simply agree to disagree about it. 

• Love 2

I'm not trying to shame anyone because they're (1) a woman or (1) biracial... My opinions are as stated - feeling like much of Daisy's development has come across as very jumpy and haphazard - just as you feel that her development is earned. It's obvious you care a lot about representing Daisy well and that's very cool. I just don't feel the same way you do and we have to simply agree to disagree about it

Okay, we can do that in regards to her character development.

But that's not what this whole thing is about. This is about the fact that her thread title does not have her name in it. I seem to get the impression that you're cool with that? 

Edited by teenj12