Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: A Fling in Palm Springs

• Start Topic

Should I have laughed when Curtis said "We don't have one. . . anymore"? I feel like I shouldn't have, but I totally did. Man, that kid is a bad actor.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love the Senior Silvers. I mean, I'm sure that as a high school freshman, I would have been incredibly embarrassed if my grandparents had behaved that way, but as an adult, I can absolutely see how totally awesome they are. Even though I haven't seen this episode for years, I can still picture his grandmother dancing with that pitcher of drinks, and it's 100% charming.

Actually, now that I've listened to the whole episode, I think it's a toss-up between Curtis and Tuesday for most terrible actor. Her "freakout" about her boyfriend or whatever the hell manufactured drama was "upsetting" her was very, very bad. But not in the Curtis way, where I wanted to laugh at child homelessness. Just in the bad actress way, where I was rolling my eyes and hoping she'd shut up.

Edited by swimmyfish
  • Love 1

This episode made me hate David Silver for a long time. His grandparents were adorable and he was so mean to them! I do realize that my opinion was clouded at the time by the fact that my own grandpa died a year before this first aired. But he made his grandma cry! No one seemed upset that they were around except David. I totally get now that he was paranoid about trying to secure his standing with the cool kids, but his attitude still makes me mad.

• Love 1

I spend each week snickering through the listening of these podcasts. You all crack me up. :)

But the best part this time was the gleefully emphatic declaration for Most Valuable Player: "Curtis!" (Heee.)

So Brenda is stranded at a hotel, and guy she doesn't know says "Hey, you can stay at my house" and her reaction is to kind of consider the idea?  I feel like a normal person would respond with side eye and "Are you out of your god damn mind?"

• Love 1

This episode made me hate David Silver for a long time. His grandparents were adorable and he was so mean to them! I do realize that my opinion was clouded at the time by the fact that my own grandpa died a year before this first aired. But he made his grandma cry! No one seemed upset that they were around except David. I totally get now that he was paranoid about trying to secure his standing with the cool kids, but his attitude still makes me mad.

No, Steve was and that was the problem. Early David was constantly worried about Steve's opinions on everything. So, if Steve didn't like them, then it was a problem for David. That, and David was too worried with being cool to see that no one else cared. He learned his lesson, etc. so it's not an issue for me. If he had no issue with his grandparents then there is no arc to his visit there.

PS: You guys debating Dylan's President's Day sexual prowess, or lack thereof, is awesome sauce.

Whereas bringing Jim Walsh into consideration put me off my lunch.  I have a thing about back hair.

• Love 2

Well, watching this episode was painful. For me, anyway, it was kind of boring and god, David Sliver was such a jerk throughout most of season one, wasn't he? All of these episodes he's just always around begging to be part of this group. Honestly, I'm not sure why he wants to be friends with Steve (I mean, I get the he wants to hook up with Kelly, he's a freshman boy and whatever) but I don't know.. what does Steve even do that is remotely cool? 

So, anyway the episode was painful to watch.. the podcast was amazing. And the podcasts are why I'm making the choice to watch the episodes. I feel like a lot of season one was a hit or a miss. I do love bitchy Brenda, so that was a highlight but since I didn't watch 90210 when it aired and only remember it from reruns I've seen and I know I missed episodes as I would watch reruns sporadically, watching them in closer sequences because of this podcast, damn, it seems like a lot of the Brenda and Dylan relationship is yelling and screaming..and wow.  Honestly.. it doesn't seem like they like each other very much. 

I also didn't realize "Presidents Day" weekend was..a thing. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the extra day to sleep in and whatnot but.. whatever. I didn't know it was a reason to go to Palm Springs. 

Davids grandparents are awesome. David is not. 

• Love 1

Tara and Sarah, let me know when you want to drink too much wine and watch the next "90210" episode. (Longtime first time.) These podcasts are a blast and I feel like I know you both much better after reading your work for all these years. Bravo!

• Love 1

I don't get why Brenda has slowed way down on the sex with Dylan thing. Wasn't she expecting to do him on her first date a few episodes ago?

Then a woman with HIV came to talk to the school.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2015 at 1:28 PM, Picture It. Sicily said:

I hated David pretty much throughout the show. He's especially annoying the first season, especially with his constant harassment of the girls (remember him trying to take photos of them undressing during the fashion show? And lurking in the bushes, trying to spy on them during the slumber party? Dick) but he never, ever got better for me. And his lame-o rapping was cringe-inducing. And the way he crapped all over his sweet, cool grandparents was awful.

I loved how realisticly and respectfully the issue of whether or not Steve and Kelly would get back together was handled here. He asked her, she thought about it and kindly said no. No drama.