Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: A Bad Seed

When a 16-year-old girl is murdered and left in a cage, Jane and Maura must overcome the ethical dilemma of a psychiatrist and the stiff opposition of a fussy prosecutor to find the killer. Meanwhile, Jane has couch issues, and Frankie is seeing UFOs.

(edited)

For those of you that remember my post a couple weeks ago about Jane's apartment.... I had no prior knowledge, I swear.  But at least we will now have a valid reason to see Jane in Maura's kitchen before breakfast every single work morning. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4

I was expecting some kind of twist with the mom, first that maybe the kid was planning to kill her, then when Jane's apartment burnt down, that she was the one with the fire fascination and the kid, though obviously disturbed, was repeating something she had said.

Maybe Maura set the fire so that she could make sure the couch would be in a matching apartment.

That couch sub plot was extremely annoying. Maura, piss off and let Jane have her food stained, duct taped couch. She'll just trash a new one, too.

But at least we will now have a valid reason to see Jane in Maura's kitchen before breakfast every single work morning.

This!

• Love 5

I loved the moment in the interrogation room when the kid glanced at his mom, then mimicked her body language and tears. Scary. Jane should have done the world a favor and shot him.

• Love 4
(edited)

I couldn't remember if it was here or in real life (<sigh>, the mind goes first), but I knew there had been discussion of how they should just burn Jane's apartment down to explain why she's perpetually at Maura's.  So I laughed my ass off when she got that call.

And when everyone was laughing over the couch.  But that one scene aside, fuck off Maura and Angela -- Jane likes her couch, it has one hole that is hidden by a pillow (so well that Maura has never even noticed the flaw), and if she has told you repeatedly she does not want to replace it, respect that and stop shoving fabric samples at her and buying her a couch she has explicitly stated she doesn't want.  They were the Skeet of this episode.

They finally addressed Jo Friday ... to make clear she was no longer living with Jane before they burned the place down. 

The actor playing the diabolical teen was good; I liked him imitating his mother's poses and his sadistic smile at the two-way mirror.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I thought that the actor playing the killer was quite good. He creeped me out - especially when he rode up to Jane on the bike and called her "Jane".

I still miss Susie Chang. Perhaps her twin was the one who was actually killed?

• Love 3

Jo Friday is Jane's dog (I think Korsack rescued her - as he tends to do - and then Jane wound up with her somehow).  Who stopped being seen or mentioned, until last night when we learned her original owners had been found and she was back with them.

Now we just need to know how Bass (Maura's tortoise) is doing.

• Love 2

Jo Friday is Jane's dog (I think Korsack rescued her - as he tends to do - and then Jane wound up with her somehow).  Who stopped being seen or mentioned, until last night when we learned her original owners had been found and she was back with them.

Now we just need to know how Bass (Maura's tortoise) is doing.

Bass, sad to say, was exiled to the zoo by the new showrunner.

(edited)

I liked Nina & Frankie's subplot about UFO's, and is it just me, or does anyone else see some sparkage there? Just me then?

FWIW, a telescope is kind of an expensive gift, I think. And there might be other uses two people can make of keys to the roof. Draw your own conclusions.

Also, UFO means Unidentified Flying Object. There's nothing weird about seeing something in the sky and not knowing what it is. 

Jumping to the conclusion that it might be a spaceship is having an overactive imagination, understandable in a kid, tedious in an adult, especially one who works as a detective.

I liked that the case relied on Korsak's plea to the receptionist to go through all the other files. I'd like to think the kid thought his plan was foolproof because he never anticipated someone doing lots of extra work on someone else's behalf.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 6

That couch sub plot was extremely annoying. Maura, piss off and let Jane have her food stained, duct taped couch. She'll just trash a new one, too.

Yes, but they said the new one is Scotch Guarded, so wiping it with a damp cloth will take care of it.

FWIW, a telescope is kind of an expensive gift, I think. And there might be other uses two people can make of keys to the roof. Draw your own conclusions.

Also, UFO means Unidentified Flying Object. There's nothing weird about seeing something in the sky and not knowing what it is.

Jumping to the conclusion that it might be a spaceship is having an overactive imagination, understandable in a kid, tedious in an adult, especially one who works as a detective.

I liked that the case relied on Korsak's plea to the receptionist to go through all the other files. I'd like to think the kid thought his plan was foolproof because he never anticipated someone doing lots of extra work on someone else's behalf.

It is an expensive gift, isn't it? They always seem to have some kind of inside joke going. I wonder if they really are dating but keeping it quiet and the audience and Jane will find out later. That one episode where we saw Frankie's apartment for the first time, when Jane showed up and he was showering and getting ready for a date? I could've sworn they were gonna show him on a date with Nina.

As far as him believing what he saw, I kinda liked it. Maybe because my inner child is a 12 year old boy but I liked it because I like seeing the lil kid come out sometimes in people. Again, prolly because mine comes out to play on a regular lol!

• Love 4

As far as him believing what he saw, I kinda liked it. Maybe because my inner child is a 12 year old boy but I liked it because I like seeing the lil kid come out sometimes in people. Again, prolly because mine comes out to play on a regular lol!

I guess the point I was trying to make (which I admit I didn't do well) is that he really has no reason to be embarrassed about it. He was a kid, and he knows now as an adult who works with eyewitnesses, that people don't see things accurately sometimes, and that their memory changes their original impression over to time to match more closely what they think happened.

There's also nothing wrong with believing that aliens may exist as a hypothetical.

But putting the pieces together, "I believe there are aliens because when I was 12 I saw a UFO and thought it was aliens" I guess that is something someone would be shy about mentioning, especially at the workplace.

• Love 1

They seem to really be playing up the goofy, somewhat childish part of Jane and Maura's relationship lately. I think I like it. It's more picking at each other, like sisters a bit, and that direction works for me. That little pretzel moment was very oddly timed though.

Maura's horror at Jane's couch reveal was hilarious. I definitely would have shared Jane's desire to tell them both to fuck off but watching it, I found it funny. The way that last conversation went with the pulling strings and greasing palms, I thought when we saw the couch, it was going to be a new one exactly like Jane's old one. Just sanitized and Scotch-Guarded.

I was right there with Jane on the mosquitos. Those little bastards stalk me and act like the rest of my family doesn't even exist. The scene not long after that about Jane being so exhausted confused me. Jane and Maura went to the crime scene that morning at the same time. They were both still at work in the same clothes. So why was Jane so incredibly exhausted?

They were really pushing the limit with Maura's wardrobe this week. Those red pants were skin tight and the black dress was gorgeous, but in no way work apparel.

I really have very little to actually say about this ep. Nothing much beyond the superficial at all. Though that was a very creepy kid. Part of it was how the situation was built. He watched animals die, liked it, and decided to try a human. That's the kind of twisted that gives me shivers. 

I liked Nina & Frankie's subplot about UFO's, and is it just me, or does anyone else see some sparkage there? Just me then?

YES. Nina has a massive crush and Frankie doesn't seem to mind at all. If they aren't already secretly dating, surely they will be shortly. Have they mentioned Frankie trying to get a new job since the premiere?

(edited)

Not just you.  But then, I felt like maybe Frankie was going to ask Suzie out once or twice.  Maybe he just has a thing for smart women?

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 1
Jane and Maura went to the crime scene that morning at the same time. They were both still at work in the same clothes. So why was Jane so incredibly exhausted?

Well, when I fall asleep on the couch, I don't feel rested. Maybe she didn't get a decent night's sleep because she was sleeping on the holey couch. The hole with the leaking foam has to be to be located low down enough to be covered by a throw pillow (if it was up on the top, she couldn't hide it from Maura), but the foam was on her shoulder, so I thought she was lying down on it.

Totally think that Frankie and Nina are crushing on each other, and have thought so for many episodes. I'm totally OK with it, though, because I think they'd be good together.

• Love 3

That one episode where we saw Frankie's apartment for the first time, when Jane showed up and he was showering and getting ready for a date? I could've sworn they were gonna show him on a date with Nina.

That was my moment for calling that, too!  For some reason I'm really hoping.  

I can't decide if I'm tired of all the reaction shots of Korsak being amused by Jane, or if I love them.  Oh, well.  Always love him.

And I have to cosign... leave Jane and her ratty couch alone.  She's a grown up and if she wants a skanky couch, let her have a skanky couch.  

• Love 1

I was right there with Jane on the mosquitos. Those little bastards stalk me and act like the rest of my family doesn't even exist.

I was surprised Maura didn't recommend vitamin B6 like the pediatrician did for my mosquito-magnet middle daughter many years ago.

Now it's couch flambé. Hopefully Jane's homeowner policy was up to date.

If she had one. As someone who rents and does not have new or expensive furniture, I don't have renters insurance. I had it once when there was a deal where my car insurance policy was going to be more than the total of the car and renters insurance.

I am expecting some talk about the fire though--at least about whether or not she had insurance--and also whether it was arson, landlord neglect, etc.

Wasn't there a plot some previous season where Jane had to buy her apartment -- it went condo or something? Or was that my imagination? If so, she probably has insurance.

I also think Frankie and Nina are crushing like crazy too. I am interested to see where it goes (if anywhere).

The apartment was a condo. That was in the coffee-spilling episode.

Since Frankie did have a date in episode 1, it'd be interesting if he has been seeing Nina.

I'm wondering how long before the kid breaks out to harass Jane more. Then again, anyone who knows Jane would know that to really torture her, they'd do something to Maura. (Not that I want that.)

At least now Jane has an excuse to move in with Maura.

• Love 1

At least now Jane has an excuse to move in with Maura.

I'm guessing they'll ramp up the Oscar & Felix Odd Couple dynamic. And Jane searching for a new place has room for lots of hijinks. I prefer either of these B plots to anything focusing on Angela, although I'd be fine with Angela fluttering around the edges of these shenanigans.

• Love 4

I didn't love the couch subplot (mainly because as everyone here as said, she made very clear that she did not want a couch, leave her be!) but I did chuckle at the end when -- as they cut to credits -- you could hear Jane say, "I think I'm just going to lie down on my couch and sleep... right here."

:)

• Love 3

This!

Yes, but they said the new one is Scotch Guarded, so wiping it with a damp cloth will take care of it.

Scotch Guard helps - but isn't a miracle. I was surprised it was a light colored and non-patterned couch. While raising kids I learned that patterns are a blessing for those spills you can't quite get clean.

• Love 1