Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Bastet

Continuity Errors: Starts With the House Layout and Just Gets Worse

Recommended Posts

On 16/01/2019 at 8:46 AM, Snow Apple said:

She managed to have a wild time with Pablo Picasso before settling down? Even though she met Sal at 17.

I'm sure there are other stories I'm forgetting. I guess we can pretend most of them are her colorful tall tales.

I just love Dorothy's response to the Picasso story: I think you're lying, (Rose to Dorothy: be positive!) so Dorothy says, OK, I'm positive you're lying! 

And the Charles de Gaulle / the Mole cracks me up too. 

Sophia had definitely been around the block a number of times before marrying Sal. Or she's just a liar... 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a little unsure of the timing and seasons to when Aunt Angela and Uncle Angelo come into the picture, as in who came first, etc, but since they each had an episode concerning them trying to find a place to live in Miami, why wasn't it suggested that they live together at least temporarily?  Or was Angelo, Sal's brother?  Was it ever said what Uncle Angelo's career was since he really wasn't a priest?  

Share this post


Link to post

Angelo is Sophia's brother. Angela was first, and at the time claimed to be Sophia's only living sibling. Suddenly she vanished and was replaced by Angelo, again Sophia's only sibling. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

Angelo is Sophia's brother. Angela was first, and at the time claimed to be Sophia's only living sibling. Suddenly she vanished and was replaced by Angelo, again Sophia's only sibling. 

OMG maybe Angela had a sex change and became Angelo! LMAO

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

And Angelo said he had been married for 72 years so he should have been in his 90’s, but obviously wasn’t.

I know, right? I'm glad Angelo's appearances were infrequent because he annoyed me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I know, right? I'm glad Angelo's appearances were infrequent because he annoyed me.

There was just something super annoying about his Eyetailian accent that was like nails on a chalkboard for me.  

At least there was a bit of continuity with him.  The trashy apartment, Sophia going to him during a hurricane, Blanche seeking his advice when Sophia ran away, etc.  With Angela, aside from her first appearance coming for Sophia's Birthday and then later when she just showed up and they convinced her to move to Miami and she ended shacking up with Sophia's boyfriend, she basically dropped off the face of the earth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/25/2019 at 9:31 AM, Mabinogia said:

OMG maybe Angela had a sex change and became Angelo! LMAO

Or maybe they were just fraternal twins: Angela and Angelo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 27/01/2019 at 2:46 AM, legaleagle53 said:

Or maybe they were just fraternal twins: Angela and Angelo.

But that doesn't explain her being the only 1 left, but a sex change does. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

But that doesn't explain her being the only 1 left, but a sex change does. 

Maybe she just changed her mind and decided she liked it better back in Sicily with the goat after all. Besides, a sex change would have been a big deal -- they'd have done a special episode about it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I thought Nancy Walker's cancer diagnosis forced the writers to 86 Angela and bring on Angelo.

Exactly right. It was another stupid plot change that they thought the viewers   wouldn’t notice or care about.  But they could have just not featured  Angela and not  brought in Angelo. I never cared for any episodes he was in. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nancy's cancer is an acceptable reason, but why invent an *annoying* Angelo instead? Either just don't mention Angela again or explain she moved back in with her goat in Sicily, or find another actress, like there were 2 Glorias. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe not continuity, but time related: We're watching the episode in which Rose is Blanche's vigenfrügen because she lost her earnings and Dorothy submits her student's story which wins 1st prize and he gets deported. On the same day that Rose offers to be a vigenfrügen for a full week, Dorothy submits the story. During the same week, because the vigenfrügen is still going on, Mario's story is judged and wins, and the INS come looking for him. Surely submitting a story, waiting for the panel to judge the stories, declare a winner and waiting for the INS to do their thing would take a lot more than a few days... 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bastet said:

Except, the story then was that she said she was dating the quarterback, but actually bought her own corsage and spent the night hiding in the basement dancing with a rake and giving herself hickeys with the vacuum cleaner.

But since that was part of Blanche's dream, it doesn't count. 

There's also an episode where we learn Stan and Dorothy went to the Senior Prom together. 

 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, mythoughtis said:

What was the color of dress that Blanche wore on the very first episode? The one when she almost married the con artist.  

Pale yellow.

Share this post


Link to post

In the episode when they are reminiscing about birthday parties (Mr Haha's Hacienda, Rose tells dead Charlie she's leaving St Olaf, and Sophia is 50 and not 48) the girls know Blanche's birthday date from the time shortly after they live together, coz they throw her a party which upsets her till she sees how many men were invited. But I'm sure later in their lives together they desperately try to find out her birthday and find her birth certificate was redacted by the authority of the governor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, MoistestCake said:

In the episode when they are reminiscing about birthday parties (Mr Haha's Hacienda, Rose tells dead Charlie she's leaving St Olaf, and Sophia is 50 and not 48) the girls know Blanche's birthday date from the time shortly after they live together, coz they throw her a party which upsets her till she sees how many men were invited. But I'm sure later in their lives together they desperately try to find out her birthday and find her birth certificate was redacted by the authority of the governor. 

I've always assumed that when they threw that party, they knew the month and day of Blanche's birth, but not the year. That's the information she really went out of her way to hide!

I had a professor in law school who reminded me so much of Blanche it was ridiculous. She was from Atlanta, and obsessed with being a proper southern belle - but also said inappropriately sexual things in front of the class. And all you needed to be in her good graces was to compliment her appearance in some way.

So far as I know, she was the only professor whose profile on the school website didn't mention her year of graduation from undergrad or law school! We'd always joke that it was deleted by the authority of the governor.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m watching Beauty and the Beast, which is the episode where Blanche enters her granddaughter into a beauty pageant. Blanche walks into the kitchen with her granddaughter and Blanche is wearing a pink sweater. It has some sort of brown decoration. Except it’s on her neck in a weird way, looking like a giant wart. Then there’s a cut to Dorothy and back to Blanche. It’s now on her sweater. Then another cut and back to Blanche and it’s back on her neck. Another cut and back on her sweater. Blanche is just sitting there and this thing is magically moving from on her neck to on her sweater with each cut. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/6/2019 at 7:22 PM, Blakeston said:

I've always assumed that when they threw that party, they knew the month and day of Blanche's birth, but not the year. That's the information she really went out of her way to hide!

That's a possibility, but there's also an episode where they say something like at this time of year Blanche always behaves strangely, and then they conclude it's her birthday, so they didn't know what time of year it was, let alone the year... 

I'm confused. 

Edited by MoistestCake

Share this post


Link to post

In the Flu Attack episode, the girls spend the entire week in the house together battling the flu and getting on each other’s nerves. Near the end of the week, they drag themselves to one of those many awards dinners where they all expect to win and Blanche pays a waiter to pretend he’s her date. She tells the others she met him in the park last week and they’ve been inseparable ever since. Except she’s been in the house the entire week with the flu and she knows the other girls know that. I’ve always found that to be sloppy writing. It’s as if the writers forgot the whole episode was about the girls being sick and stuck in the house all week when they had Blanche make up that story. 

Edited by Ria

Share this post


Link to post

Also, in the Flu Attack episode, Blanche says that her original date refused to be seen with her because she looked so awful with the flu.  First of all, none of them looked bad at all, I know the hacking and sneezing was supposed to be unattractive, but they all looked gorgeous.   Second, what kind of men is Blanche dating?  I know she really picks some winners, but what a total jerk this one was!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/18/2019 at 6:24 AM, BigBingerBro said:

Also, in the Flu Attack episode, Blanche says that her original date refused to be seen with her because she looked so awful with the flu.  First of all, none of them looked bad at all, I know the hacking and sneezing was supposed to be unattractive, but they all looked gorgeous.   Second, what kind of men is Blanche dating?  I know she really picks some winners, but what a total jerk this one was!

It would have made a lot more sense if the guy had declined because he didn't want to get sick.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

In the episode when they fly to the Bahamas for aunt Gretchen's funeral, Dorothy is nervous and drinks champagne despite not liking it, but in the episode when Al buys a boat to travel round the world with Rose, Dorothy says she loves champagne, so which is it Dot? 

Share this post


Link to post

IDK if you count it as an error but it's a big WTF for me. In the episode where Rose thought Blanche slept with Charlie. It would seem odd to me that years of living together Blanche would know what Charlie looks like. I think it would be safe to assume that Rose at least showed Blanche, Dorothy, & Sophia pictures of her late husband that she loved so much at some point of them living together. This episode was in season 7. Blanche seems to have a good track record of the men she slept with due to that book she kept that spells B.E.D. and how she named all the press members during the Gil Kessler episode.

Also Blanche's location when her husband George died. First season she said she was at home when she received a phone call about George's death while the man was eating chips and putting her on hold and in a later episode Sophia said Blanche was off getting a manicure which Blanche corrected her and said pedicure. 

The episode with plus size Rebecca, she tells Blanche that she loves her home like it's the first time she seen it despite Blanche raising her there. That line should have been written differently.

I forgot what Rose was excited about but I think it was a promotion where she said she wish her parents were here and Blanche said because they'd be proud and Rose said no cause they'd be alive. Now is she talking about her adoptive parents or Alma (she didn't meet her bio father until later), cause it seemed like Alma died which would be odd as there was no episode centered around Alma's death, as we got episodes centered around Big Daddy & Phil's death even Frida Claxton.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The episode when Holly visits. Sophia is looking after dryfus but he goes missing, and tells Blanche she has no recollection of him since Thursday, and any thing could have happened in 3 days, making it Sunday. Then Blanche says don't worry, once the girls get home from work they'll look for the dog. Then Rose is sitting in the living room and Dorothy returns from a day out with Holly. So they weren't working at all.

Not to mention the girls preferring Holly over Rose, but that one has been discussed multiple times... 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The episode where they go to the mountain nudist resort. They are told they will have to spend the night and are escorted to their room. They never give their names or actually check in. 

I could add one of my least favorite moments is when the Maitre D’ at the restaurant tells them they all dress for dinner and in their case they should do that for all three meals. It’s a cruel unnecessary and unfunny remark and would never be tolerated at a real establishment. Basically it just means older women are too homely to be seen naked even at a nudist camp. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

In the "Grab that dough" episode, all of their purses were stolen.  I guess they had the return airline tickets in Sophia's bra.  I know that was in the 80s when security was much more lax, but they must have had a heck of a time boarding the plane without identification.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

In the "Grab that dough" episode, all of their purses were stolen.  I guess they had the return airline tickets in Sophia's bra.  I know that was in the 80s when security was much more lax, but they must have had a heck of a time boarding the plane without identification.

Back then you wouldn’t have needed identification for a domestic flight.   Flying under an assumed name was entirely possible.  I remember flying a “shuttle” plane from (I think) Boston to NY when I was a kid.  We actually paid while on the plane, no tickets or ID involved.  Can you imagine my little kid disappointment when the cart came out and it was just a flight attendant swiping non-magnetic strip credit cards through the carbon copy thingy?  

They would have needed actual tickets, though, not just boarding passes, so they definitely would have had some complications.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/27/2017 at 3:12 PM, LilWharveyGal said:

In the Christmas episode where Stan is dressed up as Santa, doesn't he mention that Katherine threw him out?

But he apologised with flowers implying she took him back, but perhaps she didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/12/2017 at 2:52 PM, xander874 said:

Sorry, I meant Bridget when I wrote this. There was no Gretchen. 

Her aunt's name was Gretchen, the one Rose was supposed to give the eulogy for but couldn't get to the Bahamas because of the storm. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

Her aunt's name was Gretchen, the one Rose was supposed to give the eulogy for but couldn't get to the Bahamas because of the storm. 

That story was a bit weird. It's tradition for the oldest niece to give the eulogy? Huh? Why? It's such a random relative. Maybe it's a St. Olaf thing.

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

That story was a bit weird. It's tradition for the oldest niece to give the eulogy? Huh? Why? It's such a random relative. Maybe it's a St. Olaf thing.

Definitely a St Olaf think called Genöksenloken. This means Rose was older than her sisters. We know Holly is younger, but do we know about any other sisters? 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

Definitely a St Olaf think called Genöksenloken. This means Rose was older than her sisters. We know Holly is younger, but do we know about any other sisters? 

I got the impression Lily was older since Rose talked about how Lily always cared for all the other kids. But it could also mean she was just smarter and more responsible than Rose. So I guess we really don’t know.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Ria said:

I got the impression Lily was older since Rose talked about how Lily always cared for all the other kids. But it could also mean she was just smarter and more responsible than Rose. So I guess we really don’t know.

I had the same feeling. She cottoned on to their father driving just behind the barn and pretending they're in the wilderness. And maybe since she's blind she is off the hook. 

Edited by MoistestCake

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The episode where they go to the mountain nudist resort. They are told they will have to spend the night and are escorted to their room. They never give their names or actually check in. 

I could add one of my least favorite moments is when the Maitre D’ at the restaurant tells them they all dress for dinner and in their case they should do that for all three meals. It’s a cruel unnecessary and unfunny remark and would never be tolerated at a real establishment. Basically it just means older women are too homely to be seen naked even at a nudist camp. 

Good catch! And I agree with you about the Maitre D' being a complete ass. Given Rose's tendency towards screwing things up, you'd think the other women would have done some research on the resort before making commitment.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The episode with the housekeeper whose love potion is Chanel no. 5; Rose says she doesn't buy it because Dorothy uses it and never gets men. But surely they'd have recognised it when they smelled it if Dorothy uses it... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a tad confused about Blanche's grandchildren and who they belong to.  There was David, Janet's teenage son, but then Janet had a blonde daughter in the episode when Rose had to have a triple bypass, right?   Then there was a Melissa, who she entered into the Beauty pageant.  Whose daughter was that??  

Also, Lucy was her neice.  Was she Charmaine or Virginia's daughter?  Obviously not Clayton's.  There was another brother right?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'm a tad confused about Blanche's grandchildren and who they belong to.  There was David, Janet's teenage son, but then Janet had a blonde daughter in the episode when Rose had to have a triple bypass, right?   Then there was a Melissa, who she entered into the Beauty pageant.  Whose daughter was that??   

Also, Lucy was her neice.  Was she Charmaine or Virginia's daughter?  Obviously not Clayton's.  There was another brother right?

Janet was mother to David, Melissa, and the blonde in Rose's heart surgery episode.  Rebecca had Aurora from artificial insemination.  I don't believe they ever said if Blanche's sons had children but I assume they probably did and the writers were just more interested in writing for the dynamic they set up between Blanche and her daughters so they kept the focus there.

Lucy was her niece but they never actually said which of Blanche's siblings was her parent.  I always assumed it was one of her sisters, since we didn't even hear about Clayton until mid-series and Blanche's rivalries with Virginia and Charmaine were one of the earliest things we learn about her.  I've always assumed that Lucy was Virginia's daughter primarily due to Virginia's visit in Transplant and Lucy's in Nice And Easy.  I remember Blanche making a comment about Virginia getting pregnant/having a baby young, which could fit with Lucy.  Then there's Blanche's comment when Lucy leaves to go on a date with a stranger seconds after she arrives: "Would your mother let you go?" "No." "Then go!"  That could definitely refer to a disliked sister-in-law but, again, we heard nothing of a brother until mid-series and Blanche's rivalry with Virginia was presented as being stronger than her rivalry with Charmaine so I use that as further evidence that Virginia is Lucy's mom.  I suppose Lucy could be a beloved niece on the Deveraux side of the family, and Blanche's comments about Jamie's marriage being doomed to fail certainly point to her not liking his ex, but I don't think we were meant to assume that.  Blanche's other brother is only in The Golden Palace. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/26/2019 at 1:18 AM, ShadowSixx said:

IDK if you count it as an error but it's a big WTF for me. In the episode where Rose thought Blanche slept with Charlie. It would seem odd to me that years of living together Blanche would know what Charlie looks like. I think it would be safe to assume that Rose at least showed Blanche, Dorothy, & Sophia pictures of her late husband that she loved so much at some point of them living together. This episode was in season 7. Blanche seems to have a good track record of the men she slept with due to that book she kept that spells B.E.D. and how she named all the press members during the Gil Kessler episode.

Plus, that would have been at a time when Blanche was still married to George. Blanche was very clear that she never was unfaithful to George and that she was smitten with him from their very first dance. She would have definitely known she hadn't cheated on her husband.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Plus, that would have been at a time when Blanche was still married to George. Blanche was very clear that she never was unfaithful to George and that she was smitten with him from their very first dance. She would have definitely known she hadn't cheated on her husband.

Blanche did often say she never cheated on George. Which always makes me wonder how she delayed the torch for the Tokyo Olympics (held in 1964). Surely George wasn’t a torch bearer. Dorothy says something like “how soon we forget the Tokyo Olympics” and Blanche answers something like “so 50,000 people  had to wait for the torch. It got there eventually”.  I doubt if the writers even know. Maybe she and George were making passionate love in view of the runners. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post

How about the story she told of a guy she met when George was overseas fighting in the war?  I forget the name, but she said he was a great friend and lover....

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

How about the story she told of a guy she met when George was overseas fighting in the war?  I forget the name, but she said he was a great friend and lover....

Blanche always described George and their marriage in such glowing terms, if this were real life, I’d think she was exaggerating and presenting a distorted memory of him.

 Sophia and Rose adored their husbands, yet we knew they had faults. Sal had a gambling problem, enjoyed going to the bar for beer and sometimes seemed not the brightest bulb. Charlie was cheap, a bad businessman, prone to doing stupid St Olafian like things like wearing ski masks to the bank and was afraid of doing adventuress things. But according to Blanche, George was nothing but handsome, charming, top of his class at Vanderbilt, army captain decorated for bravery, brilliant, successful etc and they had the perfect passionate marriage. He never seemed like a real person. Just a perfect fantasy. 

Edited by Ria
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

19 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Plus, that would have been at a time when Blanche was still married to George. Blanche was very clear that she never was unfaithful to George and that she was smitten with him from their very first dance. She would have definitely known she hadn't cheated on her husband.

How do we know that the sex with Charlie would have happened when George was still alive?

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/16/2019 at 4:25 PM, Blakeston said:

How do we know that the sex with Charlie would have happened when George was still alive?

It wouldn’t have. Blanche looked up that week in her BED journals and she did have sex with a ‘Chuck’.  It just wasn’t Charlie. 

Blanche also made it known that she had sex when George had only been dead for 8 days- with the pastor that served at his funeral. 

Edited by mythoughtis

Share this post


Link to post

Blanche also woke up in the arms of the president (of the chamber of commerce) when she was still married, so there's anecdotal evidence that Blanche was not as faithful as she claims, or serious continuity errors (never). 

Share this post


Link to post

I like the “Mel Bushman” episode, but it’s another one where the show can’t keep continuity within an episode. Early in the episode Dorothy comments to Blanche she has been seeing Mel for three years and sees him maybe 5 times a year. So she’s seen Mel about 15 times. A few scenes later Dorothy is telling Blanche’s she’s been out with Mel thousands of times. Mel himself mentions Blanche calls him every couple of weeks. Couldnt the writers bother to settle on one story? It’s as if three different writers threw it together. 

Share this post


Link to post

Sophia and Max didn't divorce, but some time later she was planning to marry Melvin whose wife was dying. Unless Max died in the meantime. 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching the episode where they told stories of birthdays. I don't understand how Sophia didn't know how old she was and thought she was 48 instead of 50. She was an adult when she came to America and apparently had paperwork showing her birth date.

Even if her family is more concerned about surviving than birthdays, she still had the paperwork. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Sophia and Sal’a Apartment 1954 - Dorothy wants to work part time to earn money so she wants Sophia to watch the kids.  It’s Dorothy’s 10th anniversary. Michael is already old enough to communicate his supposed fear if Stans mother. This is 33 years ago from the film date of the episode- yet Michael is always presented as 29 or younger on the episodes where he visits. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size