Type keyword(s) to search

Continuity Errors: Starts With the House Layout and Just Gets Worse

• Start Topic

On 03/09/2018 at 3:27 PM, Snow Apple said:

And later, Big Daddy expect Blanche to accept him marrying Margaret with no questions asked. Yep. It's completely your daughter's fault for being concerned when a much younger woman is marrying her elderly rich father. 

It's how she did it. She overreacted rather than discussing it with BD as an adult. When she did it worked out, at least until the end of the episode, as we have no idea what becomes of Big Mommy. 

On 31/08/2018 at 2:17 AM, Bastet said:

Yes, he was at the wedding.  When Angelo arrives, he tells Dorothy she looks more beautiful now than she did on her wedding day.  That could just refer to having been sent a wedding photo, but prior to that, when Sophia cops to why she's making Dorothy's favorite dinner and inviting Stan over, Sophia says, "Remember my brother Angelo?  He was at your wedding." 

In which case it's a seriously improbable scenario we have here. I guess it could be possible his wife was a secret, to not upset his dead mother because if I remember correctly he promised his dying mom he'll be a priest but meets a beautiful woman on the way to the seminary. So why keep it a secret? Hmm.

Does anyone get the feeling this was all cobbled together coz they needed a plot? 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, MoistestCake said:

In which case it's a seriously improbable scenario we have here. I guess it could be possible his wife was a secret, to not upset his dead mother because if I remember correctly he promised his dying mom he'll be a priest but meets a beautiful woman on the way to the seminary. So why keep it a secret? Hmm.

Does anyone get the feeling this was all cobbled together coz they needed a plot? 

More than once!

• Love 3

I know this doesn't belong here but it's continuity: Dorothy has a gambling problem which Sophia/Sofia says she inherited from her father. And in a previous episode when Sophia marries Max, it transpired that Sal lost all their money on a horse, but Max took the blame. CONTINUITY! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

I know this doesn't belong here but it's continuity: Dorothy has a gambling problem which Sophia/Sofia says she inherited from her father. And in a previous episode when Sophia marries Max, it transpired that Sal lost all their money on a horse, but Max took the blame. CONTINUITY! 

Continuity! But, wait, I thought this was Golden Girls. What's continuity doing in there? lol And that's actually pretty impressive continuity too. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

I never understood how Rose stops all liquids at noon anyway.  Especially when she visibly eats dinner.

I would think she'd get dehydrated, even if she went to be by 6:00 pm, lol! Noon is way too early to stop liquids.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2018 at 5:41 PM, Mabinogia said:

Continuity! But, wait, I thought this was Golden Girls. What's continuity doing in there? lol And that's actually pretty impressive continuity too. 

They also managed to remember that Charlie died of a heart attack that occurred during sex with Rose. Of course, the episode that originally referenced it and the follow-up were both from season 1...but that's still pretty good by the standards of these writers!

On 11/18/2018 at 10:37 PM, Gothish520 said:

I would think she'd get dehydrated, even if she went to be by 6:00 pm, lol! Noon is way too early to stop liquids.

Maybe she stayed hydrated by consuming cake and tea that were rather moist?

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

They also managed to remember that Charlie died of a heart attack that occurred during sex with Rose. Of course, the episode that originally referenced it and the follow-up were both from season 1...but that's still pretty good by the standards of these writers!

Maybe she stayed hydrated by consuming cake and tea that were rather moist?

LOL, but tea is a liquid!

On 11/18/2018 at 12:11 AM, Maherjunkie said:

I never understood how Rose stops all liquids at noon anyway.  Especially when she visibly eats dinner.

It's a line that I totally relate to (although of course it's impossible to stop liquids that early in the day!). TMI, but when you roll out of bed twice a night to stumble to the bathroom, you really do watch your liquid intake in the evenings. I swear, the older I get (and I am now around the Girls' age), the more this show becomes a documentary rather than a sitcom. 

• Love 13

It seemed like in the early episodes there was a lot more emphasis on their age.  That's why you get a comment about Rose stopping all liquids at noon or how tough it was to find decent men (like those with their own teeth ) in their age bracket. 

Edited by Josette
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Josette said:

It seemed like in the early episodes there was a lot more emphasis on their age.  That's why you get a comment about Rose stopping all liquids at noon or how tough it was to find decent men (like those with their own teeth ) in their age bracket. 

I think Blanche was supposed to be about 50 and Rose and Dorothy about 55 or so. Hard now to believe that they were referred to as “senior citizens” and “oldsters”. 

• Love 4

Moonlight Madness Party - Dorothy quotes Shakespeare and Miles says they have so much in common and that he too quotes Shakespeare in regular conversations... And they kiss... But he's an accountant, who was "cleverly" made a college professor in witness protection... 

Also the thief who steals Blanche's jewels who's supposed to be British has a South African accent. 

• Love 2
On 11/12/2018 at 1:55 AM, schnauzergirl said:

I've wondered how the thief who stole the necklace -- Derek? -- knew about the party at Blanche's house.  

The same way the Greek sailors knew how to find the house. And the image consultant who turns up to hit on Dorothy after she "breaks up" with Blanche. 

• Love 3
On 11/21/2018 at 7:08 PM, Ria said:

I think Blanche was supposed to be about 50 and Rose and Dorothy about 55 or so. Hard now to believe that they were referred to as “senior citizens” and “oldsters”. 

In a later season episode, not sure which one, Dorothy refers to herself as "over sixty" or "in my sixties".  I don't think I recall Rose ever stating her age.  Blanche over course, always tried to convince others that she was in her early 40s.  

In regards to Rose's comment about stopping liquids at noon, I took it as a one-time thing.  She did say "I stop all liquids at noon and still have to get up to go".  I though perhaps she was referring to trying it once to see if it would work and it didn't, but she just stated it strange or flubbed the line.

• Love 1

I watched some of the Logo marathon today. Not really a continuity error, but there was a geographical/Florida flubs that occur.  At the end of one episode, the girls are trying to decide on something to do spur of the moment, Blanche mentions that she knows about a bar "over in Cocoa Beach" where they could pick up over-the-hill astronauts.  It's a 3-4 hour drive from Miami to Cocoa Beach.  

Also, having lived in Boca Raton, they all pronounce it wrong.  Even Mrs Beatty.  It's Rah-tone like in dial "tone".  They all pronounce it Rah-Tahn.

In the episode where Dorothy needs surgery but is scared of hospitals, Blanche confesses she has a fear of flying that she still isn't over. In the next episode she's flying with Richard the millionaires in his private jet without the slightest concern. 

• Love 6
On 1/1/2019 at 7:24 PM, BigBingerBro said:

Also, having lived in Boca Raton, they all pronounce it wrong.  Even Mrs Beatty.  It's Rah-tone like in dial "tone".  They all pronounce it Rah-Tahn.

Aside from Mrs. Beatty, I can get why the Girls pronounce Boca Raton that way, since they’re all FL transplants.

Edited by link417
Shortening the quote
  • Love 1
On 12/28/2018 at 10:26 AM, BigBingerBro said:

In a later season episode, not sure which one, Dorothy refers to herself as "over sixty" or "in my sixties".  I don't think I recall Rose ever stating her age.  Blanche over course, always tried to convince others that she was in her early 40s.  

Don't forget her goal to sail around the world before she turns 40!

Oh, wait, that must be a typo.

7 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Don't forget her goal to sail around the world before she turns 40!

Oh, wait, that must be a typo.

I think it’s in the bowling competition episode where Dorothy says she’s 55. Which really doesn’t fit with her being married for 38 years and divorced at least a couple. She really had to be at least a couple of years older when the show started. 58 is probably closer but I guess she picked up Blanche’s fudging habit. 

But usually when I watch that episode I wonder how Sophia squeezed in an arranged/annulled marriage, an engagement to this guy who went off to war (WWI? ) and who was her first kiss, got left at the altar by the rich grandfather in the wedding curse episode and fell in love with Sal at 17 which she says made her decide not to become a nun. 

Edited by Ria

I'm sorry if this was discussed previously or in a different thread topic, but I'm confused over Dorothy's college years.  We know she got pregnant in High School and had to marry Stan.  She vowed to Sofia that she'd still go to college and she obviously did seeing as she's a teacher (well a sub... so did she?)  Now was Trudy her college "roommate" or friend??  So did she leave Stan with the baby (Kate?) and go off to college or did she live with Stan and attend a community college in Brooklyn (or Miami since the reunion was there)??   

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'm sorry if this was discussed previously or in a different thread topic, but I'm confused over Dorothy's college years.  We know she got pregnant in High School and had to marry Stan.  She vowed to Sofia that she'd still go to college and she obviously did seeing as she's a teacher (well a sub... so did she?)  Now was Trudy her college "roommate" or friend??  So did she leave Stan with the baby (Kate?) and go off to college or did she live with Stan and attend a community college in Brooklyn (or Miami since the reunion was there)??   

I think Trudy was her best friend in high school, not college. Why the reunion was in Miami, and at Dorothy’s house no less, is anybody’s guess. Dorothy never mentions what college she went to, but there are a few public colleges in NY she could have gone to part time.  

• Love 1
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Ria said:

I think Trudy was her best friend in high school, not college.

Yep.  When Dorothy comes in and says they'll never guess who she just got off the phone with, Sophia jumps in with, "Trudy [Last Name], your best friend from high school.  She's coming in for your high-school reunion."  (That's the lead-in to "Sophia, that's incredible; you must have ESP"/"No, I have a phone extension in my bedroom.")

The whole "why the hell are they having their reunion in Miami?" question remains, unless by then so many members of that year's class had retired to Florida it made more sense to hold it somewhere in FL than back in NY.  (I doubt the writers gave it a moment's thought, I just like trying to come up with remotely plausible scenarios for some of the various "wait, why ..." questions created by their putting each individual joke/storyline over continuity or even logic.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

OK right, Trudy was a high school friend, but what about Jean the Lebanese????  Wasn't she a college roommate?

There was no reference to them being roommates, just that they were in college together (Sophia tells Dorothy she's known that Jean is a lesbian "since you two were in college together" and Dorothy says Jean didn't even know then).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

As far as the reunion in Miami: I have friends who hosted "reunions" for high school or college friends living in the area, not the entire class so it made sense.  Then I realized that Trudy and Jack apparently lived somewhere other than Miami since it's clear Trudy and Dorothy hadn't seen each other for years apparently.  Who knows what lurked in the writers' minds as they were coming up with this.

They were trying so very hard to create a plausible reason for Rose to prepare Scandinavia's most popular appetiser, cheese and crackers... (traditional reunion snack? Except it was served before the reunion and before Trudy's death, so maybe it's a traditional pre-death snack). 

Edited by MoistestCake

Honestly, the whole episode is so stupid. How can Trudy just drop on the tennis court and everyone think she is dead? Did they call 911? Were the paramedics in on it? Doubtful. The best I can come up with was her husband was there watching as well, but just not sitting with the girls, maybe closer to the court waiting for her to start her charade, and he picked her up and threw her in the back of the car like a sack of potatoes and sped off pretending to rush her to the ER.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ria said:

The best I can come up with was her husband was there watching as well, but just not sitting with the girls, maybe closer to the court waiting for her to start her charade, and he picked her up and threw her in the back of the car like a sack of potatoes and sped off pretending to rush her to the ER.  

This has always intrigued me too. Even if her husband helped her, surely Dorothy would have gone to the hospital as well. Unless the husband was at the hospital (without Trudy) and he told Dorothy Trudy was dead and Dorothy had no chance to actually see her. But I don't really care for Trudy, and Dorothy is not  practical jokes person, so the back story is a bit lame too. There's an episode where Sophia tries various jokes on Dorothy who isn't at all into playing along. 

In the episode where they are going to see Burt Reynolds and get arrested (again!) for prostitution, Blanche says she spent the night of the presidential inauguration of 1972 in the arms of the President of the Chamber of Commerce. Surely she was married to George 14 years prior? 

1 hour ago, MoistestCake said:

In the episode where they are going to see Burt Reynolds and get arrested (again!) for prostitution, Blanche says she spent the night of the presidential inauguration of 1972 in the arms of the President of the Chamber of Commerce. Surely she was married to George 14 years prior? 

Yeah, in the season six episode where she dreams George is alive, she says, "I buried you nine years ago." 

(edited)

And speaking of that episode, it brings up another continuity error I meant to mention when we were talking about the Trudy episode:

In the Trudy episode, in season four, we learn that one of Trudy's practical jokes occurred on prom night, 1946, when everyone on the tennis team decided to wear their tennis whites to the prom, but Dorothy was the only one who did.  ("Oh, no.  Your date must have been horrified.  No, her brother was a really good sport about it.")

In season six, we learn that the guy who stood Dorothy up for senior prom (crushing her self esteem and leading her to accept a date with Stan two weeks later), John Noretti, actually did show up but was sent away by Sophia.

Okay, no problem - the prom with the tennis outfit/Trudy's brother could have been junior prom.  And, indeed, in the one where Blanche dreams George is alive, a season six episode that predates the John Noretti one, we learn that Dorothy went to junior prom in 1946.  Except, the story then was that she said she was dating the quarterback, but actually bought her own corsage and spent the night hiding in the basement dancing with a rake and giving herself hickeys with the vacuum cleaner.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
On 1/8/2019 at 3:49 PM, Ria said:

I think it’s in the bowling competition episode where Dorothy says she’s 55. Which really doesn’t fit with her being married for 38 years and divorced at least a couple. She really had to be at least a couple of years older when the show started. 58 is probably closer but I guess she picked up Blanche’s fudging habit. 

But usually when I watch that episode I wonder how Sophia squeezed in an arranged/annulled marriage, an engagement to this guy who went off to war (WWI? ) and who was her first kiss, got left at the altar by the rich grandfather in the wedding curse episode and fell in love with Sal at 17 which she says made her decide not to become a nun. 

I think the throwback episode to when they moved in together had Dorothy newly separated and needing to find a place to live. So she maybe was 56 then. Just when the series started, they had been living together  least a couple years, so she had to be at least 58 then.  So she would have been at least 67 when the series ended. 

I had some posting discussions about Rose’s  age a few months ago. I believe in that same throwback episode Rose is 55 when she moves to Miami? Or she is 55 a year or two later. 

It never makes sense because you can’t figure out how Blanche was the youngest( she went into menopause a while after the show started), and had 5 kids and yet they were all magically out of the house and no ones’kids ever needed to come stay on college breaks. 

On 1/8/2019 at 3:49 PM, Ria said:

I don't remember if I posted about this before but how Sophia got together with Sal drives me nuts.

There's the arranged marriage where she dumped him and left for America where she met Sal.

The rich guy who she cursed.

The most beautiful girl in the village offered to leave town but it backfired because all the men followed her, and that's how she ended with Sal.

The village paired the women and men by height and that's how she ended up with Sal.

She managed to have a wild time with Pablo Picasso before settling down? Even though she met Sal at 17.

I'm sure there are other stories I'm forgetting. I guess we can pretend most of them are her colorful tall tales.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

She managed to have a wild time with Pablo Picasso before settling down? Even though she met Sal at 17.

Don’t forget the WILD time she had at the Yalta Conference “Rendezvous with Sophia,” LOL.

I agree, I take most of them as just her being colorful. The arranged marriage story is the one I choose (“choose” being the operative word here, LOL) to believe since Dorothy ended up recording it for the family history.

• Love 3

Blanche wore a red wedding dress according to the episode where she's on a diet so she can fit into the dress for her yearly picture.

But didn't Mammy Watkins talk about her white dress? I don't watch that episode much so am I remembering wrong?

5 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

But didn't Mammy Watkins talk about her white dress? I don't watch that episode much so am I remembering wrong?

I don't think Mammy said anything about Blanche's dress when she talked about being at the wedding, standing in the back with the caterers so no one would notice her, just "the most beautiful bride I'd ever seen" dancing with her dad to Tennessee Waltz, asking the band to play it twice so she could dance with him as long as possible.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't think Mammy said anything about Blanche's dress when she talked about being at the wedding, standing in the back with the caterers so no one would notice her, just "the most beautiful bride I'd ever seen" dancing with her dad to Tennessee Waltz, asking the band to play it twice so she could dance with him as long as possible.

Thanks. I don't know why I'm remembering a white dress with a ribbon/sash around the waist.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Maybe you're thinking of the awful dress Dorothy was wearing in the series finale.

Dorothy’s dress was hideous even when it first aired. On top of that, it was not something to be worn by anyone older than Princess Di. 

What was the color of dress that Blanche wore on the very first episode? The one when she almost married the con artist.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Maybe you're thinking of the awful dress Dorothy was wearing in the series finale.

LOL. No way will I mistake that hideous dress for the pretty one I thought Blanche might have worn as a young southern bride.

17 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Thanks. I don't know why I'm remembering a white dress with a ribbon/sash around the waist.

Blanche wore a white satin dress to prom, and came home wearing a football jersey. Mammy told the prom story immediately before she told Blanche she’d attended her wedding, so it’s easy to confuse the dresses. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Blanche wore a white satin dress to prom, and came home wearing a football jersey.

It was dark in that hayloft. 

That's probably the dress the previous poster was thinking of, yes -- Mammy described it as her first formal, white with pink trim.

• Love 1

I noticed a couple of small ones while watching a few first-season episodes last night, in back-to-back episodes. 

In the one where Dorothy has an affair with Glen the married teacher, after they have sex she says she's not self-conscious with him like she normally is in bed, not worrying about a variety of things ("what's jiggling" is my favorite) including what she sounds like.

But in the very next episode, when Al Beatty dies in Rose's bed, and Blanche - after Rose says the noises they heard last night were her having a nightmare - says it's interesting how the sounds are the same for awful nightmares and great sex, Dorothy says she wouldn't know.  When Blanche questions her on not making noise - "how can you not?" - Dorothy reiterates that no, she doesn't make a sound.  She's always wanted to, but it never seemed to warrant one.  Okay, maybe In a Bed of Rose's actually came first in production order, and the air dates got switched so it wound up coming after That Was No Lady.  But if the Al thing had already happened at the time of the Glen affair, Rose probably wouldn't have spoken the way she did about Dorothy seeing a married man (or, if she had, Dorothy would have thrown him in Rose's face, and Rose would have protested that she didn't know, while Dorothy does).

Also, in That Was No Lady, when Dorothy is trying to justify the affair, she assumes Blanche has been in her shoes, but Blanche says she's never been with a married man (it's not worthwhile; the husband feels so guilty he gives the really expensive gifts to the wife).  But - again, the very next episode - when they find out Al lied to Rose about being married, Blanche says, "I don't know why they do that. Don't they know we'll sleep with them anyway?"

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Blanche wore a white satin dress to prom, and came home wearing a football jersey. Mammy told the prom story immediately before she told Blanche she’d attended her wedding, so it’s easy to confuse the dresses. 

Thanks! Mystery solved.

This has probably been mentioned before, but when Michael marries Lorraine their age difference -- he's 23, she's 44 -- is referred to time and time again.  But when he appears after Lorraine having thrown him out, Dorothy says he's 30.  Obviously they weren't together for eight years.  Also, there's not one word about little Roger/Lamar or unnamed baby girl.  

• Love 2