Type keyword(s) to search

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show makes me laugh out loud a LOT. I had to pause it to get over the Lady Gaga joke. Ditto for the one about how the song Johnny wrote while sober sounded like "something that Sting would write if he was living inside of Sarah McLachlan’s vagina."

What happened to the other groupie/backup singer chick? We seem to be down to just Elaine Hendrix now.

• Love 1

She can sing but for some reason, the lines they give her are grating.  She's young, hot, rich and now, is wise beyond her years.

So she's busting DL's chops all the time -- so do the rest of the cast.

Probably a good idea to feature her in most of the scenes, showing cleavage, but the dialog they give her can be off-putting.

I guess this isn't going to be an ensemble show or even one that tries to develop stronger, more out there secondary characters.  The main shtick seems to be belittling DL, which is certainly better than Rescue Me, where they made him out into some sex god, with women dropping their panties at the mere sight of him.

• Love 1

She's young, hot, rich 

This reminded me of something I've been wondering about. Her mother gave her $200,000, right? While that is a goodly chunk of change, I don't think it qualifies as "rich", but everyone keeps acting like it's an amazing amount of money. It just seems really strange to me, she's not a millionaire.

• Love 1

This reminded me of something I've been wondering about. Her mother gave her $200,000, right? While that is a goodly chunk of change, I don't think it qualifies as "rich", but everyone keeps acting like it's an amazing amount of money. It just seems really strange to me, she's not a millionaire.

Agree. That might afford her that apartment for a year or two at most if she doesn't spend money on anything else.

That aside, liking the show so far. I had been seeing promos for a long time, and for some reason I thought it was going to be an hour-long drama. This is much better.

I was hoping to love this as much as I loved S1 of Rescue Me.  So far, it's just OK for me.  Denis Leary is hard to look at in this show.  And in last week's episode, I thought he referenced being 50, which would have made me spit out my drink if I'd had one.  He cannot pass for 50.  John Corbett?  Maybe.

Sorta weird that now they're dropping f-bombs and just muting them.  But I guess it makes the dialogue more realistic.

• Love 1

Sorta weird that now they're dropping f-bombs and just muting them.

i also find that really weird, but I assume it's because they're filming this assuming its later distribution on DVD and Netflix.

I'm liking this more than I expected to.  I like Denis Leary but I got very fed up with Rescue Me - I much preferred his old show The Job.  About him looking old, I thought the scene where he pointed to his face and said, "this is the face of a 50 year old rock star" was meant to show the Johnny Rock character's vanity - in that of COURSE he can just about see 50 in his rearview mirror.

• Love 2

"this is the face of a 50 year old rock star" was meant to show the Johnny Rock character's vanity - in that of COURSE he can just about see 50 in his rearview mirror.

I haven't seen the show, so I don't know the context, but is it possible he said that because a 50 year old rock star would look like shit, ugly as sin, and older than his years? Especially those of the hard living, Keith Richards wannabe variety, as I presume Leary is playing?

The irony is that geezer rockers are a huge business now.

People pay hundreds to see artists who are in their 50s, 60s and older.

So if the Heathens had a couple of hits, they could probably milk it for awhile.

The combination of a young singer backed by these old musicians would be weird if anything.

• Love 1

I love this show and I really hope it does well enough to get picked up.

Liz Gillies is a huge talent, and I've been waiting to see what she'd do after Victorious. That she picked this vehicle says a lot about her.Its an edgy show that gives her plenty of room to show off. She can sing the hell out of these songs, and she's got good comedic timing too. 

On top of everything is an excellent cast and some great writing. I laugh a lot at this show, and frankly, I'd love it to be an hour long. 

I was considering bailing on this show going into episode 4, but then they used "Sex Beat" by The Gun Club, and pulled me back in.

Denis Leary is hard to look at in this show. And in last week's episode, I thought he referenced being 50, which would have made me spit out my drink if I'd had one. He cannot pass for 50. John Corbett? Maybe.

That was the whole point of the scene in episode 2. Johnny was talking about Flash: "By the way, I think he had work done to his face, okay? Look at his face and look at my face. This is the face of a 50-year-old rock star." (Denis Leary is 57, John Corbett is 54, John Ales is 46, and Robert Kelly is 44.) Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I'm having a great time with this show. I didn't catch on in E2 that Johnny deliberately wrote a bad song so he could get back on booze and drugs. And the song at the end of E3 was good. What works for the show is that Gigi is actually a good singer, *and* that they're writing good songs for her too. If Johnny was just a sad sack with no talent it would fall flat.

I think they're making DL look older than he is too. Which I think is the point.

• Love 1

Up to E2 on my DVR so far, while on vacation.  I had to laugh at the naming of rock-star couples who aren't still together and then Flash coming up with the "Benatars" to show one could stay together, but couldn't remember Neil Geraldo's name.

• Love 3

I watched all four episodes on On Demand and so far I'm liking the show.  The cast is great, which is probably the reason I enjoy watching so much.  Every joke, every plot twist, everything I've seen so far has been totally predictable.  However, as I said, the cast is great and the episodes move at a good quick pace, so I can overlook the weak material.    

• Love 1

I've watched all episodes so far and I feel like it's getting worse with each one - and I'm a huge fan of rock music as well as comedy, so I really want to like this show. But I'm just not finding it that funny. For one thing, it seems like they're overly relying on dropping real rock stars' and celebrities' names throughout for kind of a shock value (like, did they really say that about Jon Bon Jovi? or whoever).  In the latest episode when they go to the therapist, why are they all dressed like they're on stage?  All leathers and lace and plunging necklines and the women with tons of makeup. Nitpicky, maybe, but I'd like to see them in jeans and Tshirts sometimes. Oh, speaking of real rock stars - did anyone else cringe when Joan Jett was on? Her lines were just awkward - a sitcom actress she's not!

In the latest episode when they go to the therapist, why are they all dressed like they're on stage?  All leathers and lace and plunging necklines and the women with tons of makeup. Nitpicky, maybe, but I'd like to see them in jeans and Tshirts sometimes. 

Well, Johnny WAS wearing jeans and a T-shirt - a T-shirt with his own face on it of course. I think that's true for these characters because they're NOT rock stars, they are  hoping to finally become real rock stars - they are never going to be dressing down and hoping not to be recognized.  

• Love 4

Aw, I thought she was pretty good. I also liked her on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Well maybe she did better with a drama? ha ha. She wasn't terrible in Sex & Drugs, and I have nothing against her, I just thought she sounded/looked awkward.

• Love 1

I've watched all episodes so far and I feel like it's getting worse with each one - and I'm a huge fan of rock music as well as comedy, so I really want to like this show. 

Oh, speaking of real rock stars - did anyone else cringe when Joan Jett was on? Her lines were just awkward - a sitcom actress she's not!

I usually can't stand sitcoms, but I find this one hilarious. Full disclosure: I worked in the music business for almost a decade, so my view may be a bit skewered.

Joan Jett was awful! Not just the line delivery, but although she was supposed to be the cool one in this situation, to see her stuck in her 80s hair and outfit was more tragic than fictional Johnny doing the same.

I fully expected Eddie Vedder to appear when they were talking about Ukeleles not having a place in rock music, that was a wasted opportunity ;-)

Edited by Sonja
  • Love 3

I just discovered that there are TWO versions of this show OnDemand. Regular and explicit.

I still find this odd  even though I've encountered it before (with Longmire on A&E).  I expected them to film with the fucks intact for later DVD/BluRay/Netflix release - but to have the Explicit OnDemand version while the regular FX broadcast is bleeped - I suppose I get it but it's odd.

Binge watched the last 5 episodes -- it's pretty funny.  Gigi almost gets her big break with Sony, but it goes to shit.  

And another Northern Exposure actor shows up in the shape of Rob Morrow as a producer/vibe adviser J.P.

And then courtesy of a throwaway deal over the rights to a song Johnny makes with Rehab and Bambam to get them back in the band, Gigi's song ends up as the background music in a feminine hygiene commercial for a product called 'Glo n Go' -- and that kills the deal J.P. set up with Subpop.

I have to say that I'm impressed with Liz Gillies -- she can act and really holds her own in the dialogue with DL and the others, she can really sing, and she is smoking hot.

Enjoyed the series, enjoyed the characters, and would like to see more.  Here's hoping for Season 2.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Dayumn. I never thought I'd hear Kelly Bishop drop sooooo many F-bombs. "Julie Fucking Andrews" indeed.

I have to say that I'm impressed with Liz Gillies -- she can act and really holds her own in the dialogue with DL and the others, she can really sing, and she is smoking hot.

Agreed. I used to watch Victorious and always thought Liz Gillies was more talented than castmate Ariana Grande.

I was dreading Denis Leary's characterization of an aging rocker but he's won me over once again. I really enjoy watching his need for relevance (and/or self-destruction) being outweighed by his cranky GOML attitude. His reaction to the Irish potato famine opera is just as entertaining as his banter with his bandmates trash talking other bands. Also, casting Kelly Bishop as mom made me seriously happy. I know she has substantial stage experience, but the photos/headshots from her early career they showed? Just gorgeous. 

I really want to like Gigi because Gillies' voice is amazing, but her character just bugs. I also squirm at the required Weekly Update informing us which base Flash has reached with Gigi.

• Love 2

I really want to like Gigi because Gillies' voice is amazing, but her character just bugs. 

Yeah, right? I can't quite put my finger on what it is about her character that I don't care for, but her voice is fantastic and she is gorgeous.

• Love 2

Johnny talks up how he's a rocker but he sure seems conscious of $5000 bottles of cognac and $7000 bottles of wine.

Not just this last episode but in others.  The last straw for selling out was being mistaken for Bon Jovi after his makeover.  Yet, how do you enjoy these luxury goods without selling out?

• Love 1

Please let this be the end of Gigi and Flash; their relationship is so grotesque to me. I can't support his working through his anger at Johnny breaking up Flash's marriage by schtupping Johnny's lovechild... keyword being "child".

Even though they have this truce between them, Johnny and Flash still have animosity between them (Flash mostly), and Gigi seems to be a pawn for Flash to exact vengeance. Gigi may sometimes be annoying, but does she deserve that?

This last episode was interesting, seeing how it looked like they'd have to lose artistic integrity for larger fame. Hopefully that was the taste they needed to go back to what's real music making for them. I am curious though, did they sign any contracts? If they did, I expect that will come back to bite them.

I really like most of the band, but something about Ava's character is particularly endearing... must be her loyalty.

• Love 1

Yet, how do you enjoy these luxury goods without selling out?

A question countless artists have asked themselves in the last centuries ;-)

I really like most of the band, but something about Ava's character is particularly endearing... must be her loyalty.

This plus the common sense she displays when it's necessary and how she does it. Getting the band back on track via Ukelele for instance was pure genius.

• Love 1

I thought there was a bit of a leap from making a video, which is almost always lip-synced (unless its a live-footage type video), to Gigi and Johnny suddenly finding out that she'd then also have to lip-sync at concerts, or at least that was the implication.  So, they got upset over Gigi not using her real voice, as opposed to her being a complete sex object?

And we're back for S2 -- and the band confronts their own mortality when one of Johnny's former backup singers passes away, which stirs up some bad feelings when Johnny finds out that Ava lied to him about her "brief" fling with Flash 20 years ("brief as in she told Johnny it lasted 2 weeks when in reality it went on for a year).

Elizabeth Gillies -- damn !!! She only gets hotter.