Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Re; Dying on Ice. Wasn't there a dance routine recently, where the lady "released" a crimson colored scarf at the end, to make it look like blood pouring from her body as she "died?" Am I mixing ice dance with actual dance? 

• LOL 2

Okay, I thought SOI was supposed to be doing the 90s and they start with...the 80s? But weird song choice aside, it was fun. I miss it on TV too.

Kurt and Elvis were the only people alive when this was a hit, right? 

They are definitely being tossed around (looks like grabbed by the back of their clothes) although if we have to be fair it could be in any context. 

My son used to wear old T Shirts so I could pick him up by them as a joke or ask me to punch him in the stomach to prove his belly was hard. 

It is disconcerting given what I've heard from interviews but we'll never know I guess. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
3 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

The Skating Lesson posted this video that had originally been on the Eteri camp Instagram.  In the background, it looks like a young skater is being dragged and yelled at?  It was hard to tell.  

That was horrifying!

• Love 1

Oh wow. This might be tricky:

Row 1: Lu Chen, Natalia Mishkutenok, Brain Boitano, Jayne Torville, Chris Dean, No idea, Maia Usova, Oksana Baiul.

Row 2: Artur Dmitriev, Isabelle Brasseur, Jenni Meno, Isabelle Duchesnay, Nancy Kerrigan, Jill Trenary, Marina Klimova, Tai Babilonia, Calla Urbanski, Alexander Zhulin

Row 3: Lloyd Eisler, Todd Sand, Paul Duchesnay, Mark Mitchell (?), Drawing a blank, Sergei Ponomorenko, Randy Gardner, Rocky Marval, Viktor Petrenko

How'd I do? I have no idea about two of them. And I guessed Mark Mitchell. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Oh wow. This might be tricky:

Row 1: Lu Chen, Natalia Mishkutenok, Brain Boitano, Jayne Torville, Chris Dean, No idea, Maia Usova, Oksana Baiul.

Row 2: Artur Dmitriev, Isabelle Brasseur, Jenni Meno, Isabelle Duchesnay, Nancy Kerrigan, Jill Trenary, Marina Klimova, Tai Babilonia, Calla Urbanski, Alexander Zhulin

Row 3: Lloyd Eisler, Todd Sand, Paul Duchesnay, Mark Mitchell (?), Drawing a blank, Sergei Ponomorenko, Randy Gardner, Rocky Marval, Viktor Petrenko

How'd I do? I have no idea about two of them. And I guessed Mark Mitchell. 

Nice job!  The photo has got to be from the Campbell's Tour of Figure Skating Champions from the early 90's based on the skaters.  I saw them in Cleveland.

I concur that that is Mark Mitchell in the back.  Is the guy third from the right in the front row Scott Davis?   I remember those brows.

Could the guy in the back row be Chris Bowman?   Not sure at all, but he's from that era and I know I saw him on that tour at least once.

(edited)
36 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I looked at the Skating Lesson's post and someone mentioned Petr Barna? Maybe he's one of those that I didn't know? 

Here's a close up pic of Peter Barna that I found from when he was competing. I don't remember him either even though his wiki says he retired from competitive skating in 92 and was a professional for 10yrs. Apparently he liked being an amateur better because he felt skating was more important compared to professional skating where showmanship is important to keep people entertained. His wiki also mentions that He was the first man to land a quadruple jump in Olympic competition.

image.png.10d170c6dd17dc52996722d4ff904686.png

Edited by Jaded

Okay, guy in front row is definitely Scott Davis.  My guess for the guy in the back row next to Mark Mitchell is ... Gary Beacom.

I'm amused to see the Two Mrs. Deans in this photo.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I didn't recognize the name Gary Beacom at first and then I came across this picture. I still remember the program that it's from but didn't remember who the skaters were....

image.png.f9daa3852a180e96acd1a3f26fbdb54f.png

• Love 1
(edited)

I looked at the comments for TSL's photo and at the end Peter Barna's daughter posted that her father had added the same photo to his IG account. Peter's post has the color version and said it's from 1992. Would Oksana have been on a tour like this in 92 though?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

Great photo(s). It's easier for me to recognize skaters in the color photo. Petr Barna is next to Artur. Yikes! Zhulin? I don't recall his hair being soooo blonde. Those were the days of very interesting competitive as well as pro programs.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I looked at the comments for TSL's photo and at the end Peter Barna's daughter posted that her father had added the same photo to his IG account. Peter's post has the color version and said it's from 1992. Would Oksana have been on a tour like this in 92 though?

I can't find a roster for 1992 specifically, but Baiul didn't come onto the world stage until 1993.  However, I'd think Peter Barna would know and the same photo is online in multiple places and identified as 1992.

If you recall, Oksana's parents were divorced, she didn't know her father and her mother died of cancer in '91.  In 1992, her coach was Galina Zmieskaya and she lived with her and became very close to her and her family.  Zmieskaya was also Viktor Petrenko's coach and mother in law.  Perhaps she was on the tour as part of a package deal to get Petrenko?  Zmieskaya was a top coach and had a lot of elite skaters, she would probably have had the clout to get Oksana a skating gig, especially if Zmieskaya was coaching Petrenko for the show. She would've been only 14 at the time of that tour.

Thanks for identifying Gary Beacom, I didn't think the guy in the photo looked much like Bowman, but I couldn't think of anyone else.  Gary was a really innovative skater.  He's Canadian and was always getting silver while Orser was the champ.  I remember the routine in the photo above where he and his partner skated on both their feet and hands.  Quirky guy.

Edited by doodlebug
On 5/3/2019 at 8:10 PM, Harry24 said:

I'm amused to see the Two Mrs. Deans in this photo.

LOL. He was married to Isabelle in this photo. I checked out Wiki. Married to Isabelle Duschesnay, 1991-1993, and Jill Trenary, 1994-2010. Makes me wonder if there was a little bit of a romantic triangle on tour? 

Even though he clearly dipped his wick in the company ink, he doesn't come near Alxeander Zhulin's hound dog ways. Heh. 

"Zhulin married Maya Usova in 1986, but the two eventually divorced. He was romantically involved with competitive rival Oksana Grishuk. In 2000, he married Tatiana Navka, with whom he has a daughter, Sasha, born in May 2000. In April 2010, he and Navka filed for divorce. He married Natalia Mikhailova in August 2018.[35] Their daughter, Ekaterina, was born on 10 January 2013 in Moscow."

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

LOL. He was married to Isabelle in this photo. I checked out Wiki. Married to Isabelle Duschesnay, 1991-1993, and Jill Trenary, 1994-2010. Makes me wonder if there was a little bit of a romantic triangle on tour? 

Even though he clearly dipped his wick in the company ink, he doesn't come near Alxeander Zhulin's hound dog ways. Heh. 

"Zhulin married Maya Usova in 1986, but the two eventually divorced. He was romantically involved with competitive rival Oksana Grishuk. In 2000, he married Tatiana Navka, with whom he has a daughter, Sasha, born in May 2000. In April 2010, he and Navka filed for divorce. He married Natalia Mikhailova in August 2018.[35] Their daughter, Ekaterina, was born on 10 January 2013 in Moscow."

There was a rather famous incident at Spago in LA where, while on tour, Usova, still married to Zhulin, came up behind Grishuk who was sipping a margarita, grabbed her by the hair and smashed her head into the bar.  That would've been after the '92 Olympics, so it might well have been on the Champions tour.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, doodlebug said:

There was a rather famous incident at Spago in LA where, while on tour, Usova, still married to Zhulin, came up behind Grishuk who was sipping a margarita, grabbed her by the hair and smashed her head into the bar.  That would've been after the '92 Olympics, so it might well have been on the Champions tour.

No one is as bad as the infamous Nikolai Morozov, who dated almost every one of his pupils from Shae Lynn Bourne (whom he briefly married) to Elena Grushina (who was MARRIED to her then-partner) to Elena Ilynkh to Miki Ando (who is rumored to have a daughter with him). 

Then there was the long-standing drama between Aljona Savchenko and Ingo Steuer that ended with much bitterness and thank god seems to be over as she's now married and pregnant. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Mimi Ando's daughter is 100% Japanese. Greasy Sleazebucket is not her father. Morozov married his most current wife when she was 18 and his pupil (shocker, I know). He's in his mid/late 40's. I'm not sure if they're still together. She's around 21 now, probably getting too old for him. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
(edited)

https://www.si.com/olympics/2019/05/16/alysa-liu-us-figure-skating-future-quads

*Sports Illustrated* (for some reason I originally wrote RS) article on Alysa Lui. I'm still not sure about the quad stuff because they often look so janky and unpleasing to the eye, though they are obviously a tremendous athletic accomplishment for girls who are getting them. I just favor the look of a beautifully executed triple axel...I also don't want to dismiss her raw talent because clearly she is something special. But too many US skating fans remember when Caroline Zhang was the next big thing, and when Polina Edmunds and Karen Chen were touted as "our answer to Russia" in their respective senior debuts...I remember how people were excited about Gracie because she seemed to have already had her growth spurt by the time she won nationals. 

And, for contrast (because, not to be cynical, but I'm still a little unsure about the whole putting the weight of the world on a 13 year old's shoulders thing), Gracie's Olympic channel podcast interview (https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/features/detail/figure-skater-gracie-gold-interview-mental-health/)

They mess up when they say Gracie came in 5th in Sochi at the beginning, but it was kind of interesting. She's self deprecating about her situation to the point where she says some sarcastic things that make me uncomfortable at points.  She talks about how she felt guilty when USFS found out about the extent of her problems and were spending money to get her help, because "she wasn't one of the top prospects that year" (though paying for Gracie's therapy is perhaps one of the better uses of USFS's money in recent years tbh).

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Love 3
On 5/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, BelleBrit said:

https://www.si.com/olympics/2019/05/16/alysa-liu-us-figure-skating-future-quads

*Sports Illustrated* (for some reason I originally wrote RS) article on Alysa Lui. I'm still not sure about the quad stuff because they often look so janky and unpleasing to the eye, though they are obviously a tremendous athletic accomplishment for girls who are getting them. I just favor the look of a beautifully executed triple axel...I also don't want to dismiss her raw talent because clearly she is something special. But too many US skating fans remember when Caroline Zhang was the next big thing, and when Polina Edmunds and Karen Chen were touted as "our answer to Russia" in their respective senior debuts...I remember how people were excited about Gracie because she seemed to have already had her growth spurt by the time she won nationals. 

And, for contrast (because, not to be cynical, but I'm still a little unsure about the whole putting the weight of the world on a 13 year old's shoulders thing), Gracie's Olympic channel podcast interview (https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/features/detail/figure-skater-gracie-gold-interview-mental-health/)

They mess up when they say Gracie came in 5th in Sochi at the beginning, but it was kind of interesting. She's self deprecating about her situation to the point where she says some sarcastic things that make me uncomfortable at points.  She talks about how she felt guilty when USFS found out about the extent of her problems and were spending money to get her help, because "she wasn't one of the top prospects that year" (though paying for Gracie's therapy is perhaps one of the better uses of USFS's money in recent years tbh).

I saw a video of Lui on SOI. I also saw videos of her quads. They're worse than Eteri skaters. My goodness what is going on? I fear for this girl. Not only does she has pressure she is going to ruin her body. I truly hope if she doesn't live up to expectations that she is not hard on herself. I do  like how they tell her back story. I didn't know her father had many hardships but her father does sound a bit overbearing. Maybe the coach Arthur stuff was a joke. I don't understand the need for quads at the junior level at all let alone at 13. At least, Russia can replace skaters at the drop of a hat because  of the huge amount  of skaters already there. What is going to happen with Liu? I remember when Mirai and Caroline had their little rivalry and everyone saying Caroline was the next Michelle. Gracie was the next Michelle and she was going to win. USA fed never ever learns their lesson. Stop hyping young skaters up and forcing them to do things that will ruin their bodies in the long run.

Also, I read a comment from a skating judge who was judging kids at the lower levels. She said she is shocked how many skaters can't hold an edge or they're doing things they're not ready for. 

On 5/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, HartofDixie said:

TSL posted this throwback pic. I think this is the 1993 COI tour.

They should all remake this photo for the 25 year photo challenge 

• Love 3
On 4/27/2019 at 3:35 PM, Jaded said:

I wish SOI was still shown on TV. They never seem to come to this part of the US or anywhere near it.

USA federation needs a new marketing team. I mean there could be more people and more fans if you market well..

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Darknight said:

USA federation needs a new marketing team. I mean there could be more people and more fans if you market well..

The USFSA has nothing to do with whether Stars on Ice gets shown on TV.  That's between SOI and the networks.

6 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Saw this on Twitter. I’ll be skating to Samson & Delilah/Michael Buble medley choreographed by Lori Nichol.

AB170E5A-B44B-4A95-9B33-B2924361ABAB.jpeg

Scheherazade/Burlesque (or Moulin Rouge, but the nickname I've always gone by starts with F and I hate Moulin Rouge) medley by Tom Dickson.  Boom.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SeanC said:

The USFSA has nothing to do with whether Stars on Ice gets shown on TV.  That's between SOI and the networks.

Then I am sure Darknight will want SoI to strike a deal.

Although, seriously, who cares about FS on TV?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Saw this on Twitter. I’ll be skating to Samson & Delilah/Michael Buble medley choreographed by Lori Nichol.

I'd be skating to La Boheme and Cabaret choreographed by Lori Nichol.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SeanC said:

I'm talking about more marketing. Meaning advertising it in a way to get more people to go and for people to know about it. I'm sure good advertising and promotions would reach more people. Right now, their marketing is dead. Well, at least to me. They could do so much to promote SOI. 

• Love 2
On 5/18/2019 at 1:02 AM, Darknight said:

I saw a video of Lui on SOI. I also saw videos of her quads. They're worse than Eteri skaters. My goodness what is going on? I fear for this girl. Not only does she has pressure she is going to ruin her body. I truly hope if she doesn't live up to expectations that she is not hard on herself. I do  like how they tell her back story. I didn't know her father had many hardships but her father does sound a bit overbearing. Maybe the coach Arthur stuff was a joke. I don't understand the need for quads at the junior level at all let alone at 13. At least, Russia can replace skaters at the drop of a hat because  of the huge amount  of skaters already there. What is going to happen with Liu? I remember when Mirai and Caroline had their little rivalry and everyone saying Caroline was the next Michelle. Gracie was the next Michelle and she was going to win. USA fed never ever learns their lesson. Stop hyping young skaters up and forcing them to do things that will ruin their bodies in the long run.

Mirai had at least won the junior grand prix final, Caroline had won JR worlds, and Gracie had medaled at JR worlds when this hype was going on, though in fairness, the content map has truly exploded since then so it's difficult to compare. It's perfectly feasible for girls at senior worlds to compete clean programs with triple triples and end up in the latter half of the top ten, and I think that's difficult for US non-figure skating followers to "get" when they try to talk about where US "went wrong". Likewise, it's why Ellen told Adam Rippon that he should have "won the gold" when he came in 10th.  Timing is also everything when it comes to body changes and injuries. That said, I do think that the fed did everything in their power to try to boost Bradie and Mariah over Alysa at US nationals. I personally would have been a bit annoyed if Mariah had won nationals with her current content. When you are leaving out a triple triple and salchow, you have better be perfectly clean in your long.  Alysa is supposedly getting a nike sponsorship and it's not like her family could turn something like that down. 

I went to Stars on Ice this year with a non-figure skating fan, and I really enjoyed it. That said, I just don't know that SOI would be selling out if our girls were winning Olympic medals or if the skaters were skating harder content like they typically do in Japan. The entertainment landscape has just changed a lot since these shows were selling more tickets in the US...

• Love 1
(edited)

That lady who was supposedly John's manager is a real piece of work. I googled her earlier and saw that she's been a shady person for quite a few years.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

That lady who was supposedly John's manager is a real piece of work. I googled her earlier and saw that she's been a shady person for quite a few years.

You know what’s even more messed up? She’s married to Craig Maurizi who was sexually abused by his coach Richard Callaghan for years. You’d think she’d have some compassion for victims.

• Love 2

I'm a little taken a back by her assertion that “Nobody innocent hangs themselves.” Really? Suicide is an automatic admission of guilt, now? I’m sorry for what she has gone through, but that’s a shitty justification on the victim’s part. Perhaps she needs to dial that argument back.  So, all these children who commit suicide after bullying were guilty of what, exactly? Of course it's two different situations, but it's a sweeping generalization that anyone who commits suicide must have something to hide, or a guilty conscious. Hardly the message that she needs to be sending. And yes, I know what it's like to be in her shoes. #MeToo

• Love 10
On 5/18/2019 at 4:45 PM, HartofDixie said:

Black Swan & West Side Story by Shane Lynn Bourne

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I'm a little taken a back by her assertion that “Nobody innocent hangs themselves.” Really? Suicide is an automatic admission of guilt, now? I’m sorry for what she has gone through, but that’s a shitty justification on the victim’s part. Perhaps she needs to dial that argument back.  So, all these children who commit suicide after bullying were guilty of what, exactly? Of course it's two different situations, but it's a sweeping generalization that anyone who commits suicide must have something to hide, or a guilty conscious. Hardly the message that she needs to be sending. And yes, I know what it's like to be in her shoes. #MeToo

I think she meant in this conext, not generally. No one accused of sexual assault would hang themselves.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, slf said:

No one accused of sexual assault would hang themselves.

I think ChicksDigScars was calling it irresponsible in that case too. In case it was a false accusation, suppose, it might cause an innocent person such great distress as they are shunned by society that they may feel like they have no other choice.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, displayname said:

I think ChicksDigScars was calling it irresponsible in that case too. In case it was a false accusation, suppose, it might cause an innocent person such great distress as they are shunned by society that they may feel like they have no other choice.

False accusations are incredibly rare, tho. How many of those few that occur result in suicide by hanging? This is not A Thing and Namiotka is not promoting a toxic viewpoint of people who commit suicide via hanging. She's speaking in a very specific context about her experiences and feelings about the abuse she (and others) suffered for years.

• Love 6
(edited)
53 minutes ago, slf said:

False accusations are incredibly rare, tho. How many of those few that occur result in suicide by hanging? 

But I'm not discussing their rarity, nor am I trying to paint it as "A Thing". It's not, and I'm not trying to start a debate here at all. I'm just trying to see if there's rationale behind CDS' comment in this specific context. There could be. But they can defend it further themselves. 

Edited by displayname
22 hours ago, displayname said:

But I'm not discussing their rarity, nor am I trying to paint it as "A Thing". It's not, and I'm not trying to start a debate here at all. I'm just trying to see if there's rationale behind CDS' comment in this specific context. There could be. But they can defend it further themselves. 

It seemed you were trying to explain to me what the other poster meant ("I think CDB was calling it").

Anyway, Namiotka is very brave for speaking out and I applaud her for speaking out. For many it's very difficult to discuss sexual assault and to do so publicly...I can't imagine how much more stressful and intimidating that is. I hope she's getting lots of support and love from those closest to her.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, slf said:

It seemed you were trying to explain to me what the other poster meant ("I think CDB was calling it"). 

I don't what they meant, and I wasn't trying to explain to you what they "meant"; it just was my read based off them choosing to say that in the context of what was being discussed along with that citation, and solely my own, hence the words "I think they mean this" instead of "they mean this". I wasn't trying to accuse her of any malintent. It was a poor choice of words on my part. Sorry.

I didn't have problems with Namiotka's statement, nor did I try to accuse her as being someone who was promoting toxicity with her statement in any context. I wasn't trying to make stuff up to bash her, and I acknowledge as I've already done that the scenario I mentioned isn't "A Thing". I applaud her for stepping forward. It was purely the point about differing contexts that I responded to based off my read of what was said here, nothing more. This might not have been clear from what I said before, but this is what I meant.

Edited by displayname

Hey, if my response seemed like an accusation, it wasn't. I was just trying to clarify things. I know this is a loaded topic. No ill will assumed or intended!

On 5/18/2019 at 4:45 PM, HartofDixie said:

I'll be skating to a Malaguena/Britney Spears medley, choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne. I'm not familiar enough with Bourne to know how screwed I am but I do love Britney.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, displayname said:

I didn't have problems with Namiotka's statement, nor did I try to accuse her as being someone who was promoting toxicity with her statement in any context. I wasn't trying to make stuff up to bash her, and I acknowledge as I've already done that the scenario I mentioned isn't "A Thing". I applaud her for stepping forward. It was purely the point about differing contexts that I responded to based off my read of what was said here, nothing more. This might not have been clear from what I said before, but this is what I meant.

I don't blame Namiotka for making her statement, especially since she's gotten so much abuse for coming forward both online and IRL, but I do think it's important to when covering suicide to follow health recommendations for covering for the suicide.  I wish USA Today hadn't just quoted her social media and then had a medical professional to comment on the story.  (Not because I think Coughlin is innocent but I think there are good guidelines to follow in any case of suicide.)

www.reportingonsuicide.org suggests the following for message boards:

Suggestions for Online Media,  Message Boards, Bloggers, & Citizen Journalists:

• Bloggers, citizen journalists, and public commentators can help reduce risk of contagion with posts or links to treatment services, warning signs, and suicide hotlines.
  • Include stories of hope and recovery, information on how to overcome suicidal thinking and increase coping skills.
  • The potential for online reports, photos/videos, and stories to go viral makes it vital that online coverage of suicide follow site or industry safety recommendations.
  • Social networking sites often become memorials to the deceased and should be monitored for hurtful comments and for statements that others are considering suicide. Message board guidelines, policies, and procedures could support removal of inappropriate and/or insensitive posts.

And more for journalists:

• Suicide is complex. There are almost always multiple causes, including psychiatric illnesses that may not have been recognized or treated. However, these illnesses are treatable.
  • Refer to research findings that mental disorders and/or substance abuse have been found in 90 percent of people who have died by suicide.
  • Avoid reporting that death by suicide was preceded by a single event, such as a recent job loss, divorce, or bad grades. Reporting like this leaves the public with an overly simplistic and misleading understanding of suicide.
  • Consider quoting a suicide prevention expert on causes and treatments. Avoid putting expert opinions in a sensationalistic context.
  • Use your story to inform readers about the causes of suicide, its warning signs, trends in rates, and recent treatment advances.
  • Add statement(s) about the many treatment options available, stories of those who overcame a suicidal crisis, and resources for help.
  • Include up-to-date local/national resources where readers/viewers can find treatment, information, and advice that promote help-seeking.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255 and is available 24 hours a day.

Edited by Ruby Gillis
  • Love 7
(edited)

Has anyone been watching Adam Rippon's new youtube channel?  He seems to have improved a lot as an interviewer.  Or maybe the long conversations suit him more.  I found this one really sweet and enjoyed seeing some basic figure skating moves because I suck at skating.  

Also another one of Gus Kenworthy being gorgeous

Edited by Ruby Gillis
  • Love 2