Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

HVFF-Chicago (joint event with Walker-Stalker Con) is shaping up to be a big one (btw, the guest list even includes Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys!)...

Check out the entire guest list here (stars from Arrow, LoT, Black Lightning, Gotham, The Punisher, Daredevil, The Walking Dead, The Gifted, Riverdale, Boondock Saints, and Dead 7):
http://heroesfanfest.com/chicago/guests/

Edited by tv echo

Awesome Con has already posted its programming schedule (all times are EST)...

Mar. 30 @ 4:40pm - Cress Williams Photo Op
Mar. 30 @ 6:00pm - John Barrowman Photo Op
Mar. 30 @ 6:30pm - TeamUp: Arrow Photo Op
Mar. 30 @ 7:00pm - Stephen Amell Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 11:40am - TeamUp: Arrow & Superman Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 1:00pm - John & Carole Barrowman Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 1:10pm - John Barrowman Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 1:50pm - TeamUp: Arrow Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 2:20pm - Stephen Amell VIP Package Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 2:50pm - Stephen Amell Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 3:00pm - Cress Williams Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 3:20pm - TeamUp: Arrow & Black Lightning Photo Op
Mar. 31 @ 4:15pm - John Barrowman Q&A
Mar. 31 @ 4:30pm - Cress Williams Q&A
Mar. 31 @ 6:00pm - John Barrowman in Costume Photo Op
Apr. 1 @ 10:30am - Stephen Amell Q&A
Apr. 1 @ 12:30pm - Stephen Amell VIP Package Photo Op
Apr. 1 @ 12:40pm - Stephen Amell Photo Op
Apr. 1 @ 12:50pm - John & Carole Barrowman Photo Op
Apr. 1 @ 1:00pm - Cress Williams Photo Op
Apr. 1 @ 1:00pm - TeamUp: Arrow Photo Op
Apr. 1 @ 1:30pm - TeamUp: Arrow & Black Lightning Photo Op
Apr. 1 @ 1:30pm - John Barrowman Photo Op
Apr. 1 @ 4:20pm - John Barrowman in Costume Photo Op

Full Guest List:
http://awesome-con.com/guestsdc/

Edited by tv echo

Not that I'll ever feel bad for MG but some people go way too far when they tweet the writers/EP's, even when they fully deserve every bit of criticism they get. It's not always phrased the right way, IMO. It's frustrating. And dumb.

Edit to add: Maybe this season really was an experiment from the higher ups, like I wondered for a while now. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 10

I actually agree with that thread. You can vent frustrations publicly but tagging creators/actors is often very awkward, especially if it’s not polite constructive criticism but downright hate. We have no idea what’s going on BTS. I especially dislike when people tag them in angry tweets for rumours about things that haven’t happened onscreen yet. 

Ive seen a few TV writers jumping on this thread too:

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I can get why creators don't like a steady stream of abuse, but I feel like they need to accept that the days when they could "just make their show" are over unless the never/rarely use social media (hi Wendy!).  Guggenheim doesn't seem to get the social part of social media--the show puts stuff out there and then the promotional benefit comes when there is a conversation, some of which will not be fawning praise for his genius.

The way the thread seems to be presented, though, is that they might be in a position where they are bombarded with complaints that they have no control over and furthermore aren't even allowed to defend themselves by saying it's not under their control. Along with that, in Arrow's case, some of it was with stuff that was just leaked which they can't even comment on yet still get complaints about. Twitter's an awful platform to discuss points in general for criticism anyway, so it's hard to explain a position that might not even be theirs to begin with. *Tin foil hat lowers* This might be more of a reaction to this season specifically, where the number one complaint now seems to be about the newbies, who the studio pushed them to add in the first place, but MG can't very well say that out loud.

I'm not completely sympathetic, since it's a free platform, but I am sympathetic to a case where someone is literally barred from explaining what's going on yet still has to take both due and undue criticism.

• Love 8

Constructive criticism is good for sure. I love it when the official account or writers account posts a pic of NTA on Twitter and all the replies are about how we miss OTA. Politely pointing out what you like and what you don’t is fine (even if I don’t think it moves the needle half as much as some fans like to think it does).  But complaining about stuff the writers/actors/showrunners have no control over, and in a really aggressive way, accomplishes nothing. I’m not a huge MG fan by any stretch so I don’t think we’ve lost much by his Twitter/Tumblr hiatus, but I look at the majority of replies on that last tweet and think, “why would he ever come back?” I wouldn’t. 

• Love 7

Manu Bennett was at Liverpool Comic Con last weekend. This fan video includes a portion of his panel (starting at around the 10:30 mark)...

MEETING VERNE TROYER AT COMIC CON!! (Including Manu Bennett and Verne Troyer Interviews)
Published on Mar 16, 2018, by MeGaCaMgAmZ

While I agree that nobody deserves to be called names on social media, I find it a bit hard to sympathize with Guggenheim because his writing decisions and social media conduct have greatly contributed to the fandom atmosphere we have today. Maybe if the female characters were actually allowed to coexist on his show, the Arrow fandom wouldn't have become such a hellhole. 

• Love 10

Im just surprised that things seemingly took a turn for the worst for him on social media with fans towards the end of S5. I didn't notice that much fan backlash so I thought he'd be reveling in the praise he was getting from critics and some fans. 

5 hours ago, strikera0 said:

While I agree that nobody deserves to be called names on social media, I find it a bit hard to sympathize with Guggenheim because his writing decisions and social media conduct have greatly contributed to the fandom atmosphere we have today. Maybe if the female characters were actually allowed to coexist on his show, the Arrow fandom wouldn't have become such a hellhole. 

Arrow fandom is a toxic mess because of the people that think they're entitled to a show that's exactly the way they want it to be, and anyone who thinks otherwise-- writers, EPs, other fans-- deserves to be treated with derision, scorn, and abuse. I'm not going to blame that attitude and behavior on the show or MG.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'd be very curious to find out just how much difference there is in screen time. Like, SA, EBR and DR are ahead, fine, but how close or far back is JH? How much screen time has SA had compared with this time last season? 

JH is probably pretty close in screentime to Diggle which is fine imo, but he should make plenty of leeway with NTA taking a back seat for a couple of episodes. But I think SA is still plenty ahead of everyone else since the others havent had THAT much to do though his screentime is probably done drastically from previous seasons since no flashbacks.

6 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'd be very curious to find out just how much difference there is in screen time. Like, SA, EBR and DR are ahead, fine, but how close or far back is JH? How much screen time has SA had compared with this time last season? 

As of 613, Oliver is only slightly down from S5 which is an obvious give since there is no longer Island Flashbacks.

As for the rest, they aren't that close. There was a decent gap between Diggle and Dinah.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Do actual numbers matter when storylines are supposed to matter more than screentime?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

As of 613, Oliver is only slightly down from S5 which is an obvious give since there is no longer Island Flashbacks.

As for the rest, they aren't that close. There was a decent gap between Diggle and Dinah.

Do you have the actual totals?

5 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Do actual numbers matter when storylines are supposed to matter more than screentime?

The difference between the screen times would sorta indicate, to me anyway, how much "evening" there is going, if that makes any sense. A friend has this theory that may also have been brought up on this board that the slightly reduced screen time for Stephen and EBR are more like perks, with JH picking up a bit heavier load to compensate. Ideally reduced screen time shouldn't be an indication of actual story time but this is Arrow.

15 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Do you have the actual totals?

The person who does the screentimes is private about the screentimes and she only shares with a couple of people, Morrigan being one of them. But she's specifically asked not to share with anyone except for some vague info. 

24 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

If she does or has seen them, I don't think they are hers to share though.  The specific numbers that is.   

I have seen them, I do not have permission to share. What I can say, having kept track of screentimes from S1-3 (Jack) and S4-6, there's no major difference. The whole Dinah/OTA is taking over the show is a total fallacy.

OTA has consistently had the most screentime from S2 on (Felicity obviously had less screentime in S1 as she wasn't a regular). For the record, based on my memory of Jack's screentime, S1 was Oliver/Diggle/Laurel.

In S2 the order was Oliver/Diggle/Felicity, in S3 the order switched to Oliver/Felicity/Diggle. Starting in S2 Laurel took 4th place (would have been 5th behind Roy in S3 if Colton didn't leave).

I don't really recall who was in 4th in S5 but, Dinah is basically getting the LL treatment in S6. 

This is why I find this whole discussion so exhausting. Every season since S2 has been the same and every year at this point Olicity/Felicity fans start freaking out and complaining about some character(s) taking over the show.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

The whole Dinah/OTA is taking over the show is a total fallacy.

I don't think she and the NTA are taking over the top positions and was very glad to hear that BS was a lot farther down the list than I would have guessed, but this season I do think a lot of the time that would in past seasons have all gone to Oliver via his flashback appearances, probably now has gone to the NTA and Dinah.  I just would have preferred more of that time spent elsewhere.  So while Dinah and the NTA haven't usurped my faves, there's still a lot more of them then probably could have been possible when that time had belonged all to the flashbacks and while the flashbacks didn't take up nearly as much time in an episode as one would think, like the flashbacks, the time Dinah and the NTA are on the screen just drags on forever.  Or at least it feels that way, lol.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 14

To me it makes sense why people think they usurped OTA. NTA/BS are such black holes that they just take away the excitement from every scene they're in thereby destroying a big chunk of the season. And the fact that we didn't have enough OTA to compensate means they've sorta been overshadowed by the destruction NTA/BS have been causing... 

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 17

Dinah more than the other members of NTA feels to me like she’s on overload in the show when the screen time tells a different story.  

I think the reason I feel like that is that while the other two members of NTA annoy me greatly, when it comes to Dinah I’m just canaried out.  Maybe it’s a combination of the whole team warfare thing they’re doing and the amount of promo push they’ve given her that makes me feel that she’s more prominent than she actually is. 

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 8

Aside from my annoyance with NTA, I think the reason Dinah feels like she's more prominent than she is is because she's not particularly relevant to what's happening and yet there she is — she stands out IN A BAD WAY, in a way where I go "Oh that would normally be Quentin's job to do that." Or "Oh, Diggle would normally talk to Felicity about that." She has a job, an apartment, (had) a love live and her own villain in BS. Sometimes watching Arrow feels like watching 2 shows — with a Black Canary spinoff playing out within the show, borrowing characters and sets but totally separated because, AGAIN, she has no particular or special relevance to Arrow. She's not Oliver Queen's love interest or even his crimefighting partner. So any kind of prominence feels unequal and off. This is why Arrow should not and cannot have a BC. The character, unless she's explicitly made into a sidekick way in the background, doesn't work within the current context of the show. 

It doesn't help that giving Juliana Harkavy more to do (compared with last season) exposed how awful she is as an actress and now her scenes are standing out more because they are so cringe-worthy. IMO. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 21
11 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Aside from my annoyance with NTA, I think the reason Dinah feels like she's more prominent than she is is because she's not particularly relevant to what's happening and yet there she is — she stands out IN A BAD WAY, in a way where I go "Oh that would normally be Quentin's job to do that." Or "Oh, Diggle would normally talk to Felicity about that."

For me, an additional reason it feels like Dinah is more prominent than the numbers show is that she's in scenes with other characters such as talking to Diggle about his injury or to Oliver in his jail cell and those scenes contribute to Diggle's and Oliver's screen time but they're really about Dinah and how she's so important to the show

• Love 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

For me, an additional reason it feels like Dinah is more prominent than the numbers show is that she's in scenes with other characters such as talking to Diggle about his injury or to Oliver in his jail cell and those scenes contribute to Diggle's and Oliver's screen time but they're really about Dinah and how she's so important to the show

Exactly. I feel like Dinah has been given elevated and unearned importance in the show not because she is in any way necessary or relevant to Oliver and his story but because she has the “important” comic book name/codename.  

They’ve done the same thing with Dinah this season that they did with Rene last season, pushed her to much to the front and centre to the point where she now unreasonably irritates me. Now when she pops up on screen my immediate response is nope, not you again.  

Why can’t they ever find a reasonable balance between characters so that all of them can be served well by the story being told?

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 10

Podcast interview with Arrowverse trainer, Thomas Taylor, from September (audio only, about 1 hour long)...

SUPERHERO STRENGTH PODCAST: EPISODE 12: THOMAS TAYLOR [T3 ATHLETICS]
James Buckley   September 18, 2017
http://www.superherostrength.com.au/episode-12/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha3Wfdus2QE

-- TT explained how he started working with Arrow actors. He was training out of a martial arts gym called InFighting in Vancouver. He's good friends with the owner of Infighting; they've trained together for 20+ years. That owner is good friends with James Bamford. At the time, Laurel was going to transform into Black Canary. So TT got a text from his friend telling him that KC was going to be calling him because "she needs to learn how to fight, she needs to learn how to move properly... to look like a superhero, to look the part." TT said that KC was "dedicated" and worked hard. After Bamford saw his "success" with KC, TT started training other Arrow actors. So now, Bamford will tell him "what he needs to develop in" the actor, and then TT will "do his damnest to make that happen... It's like little projects." 

-- TT said that he's worked with not only Arrow actors, but also actors from Flash, Legends and Supergirl. He's trained "about 15" of them. He also said that they come to him for different reasons (different kinds of training). He said that they all work hard. He also thinks that they all really want to be able to do their own stunts and sell them.

-- TT said that Josh Segarra called him at the start of last season and told him that he just wanted to stand across from SA and "not look like a complete mismatch." TT said that Josh was "one of the best people" he trained. He also said that part of it was mental attitude.

-- TT said that it's "awesome" working with SA and that "Stephen is the hardest working guy" on Arrow. He also said that SA is "very Type A" and that "when it's go time, it's go time... There's nothing half-ass about that guy... He's so strong... And he's so strong-minded... He's a machine."

-- TT (about SA and EBR): "He's also someone that still hasn't completed the Sally Up challenge. And Emily has... He's a big guy, man... Em's, like, a wicked little yogi, and she's super - you know, she's also about, like, you know, at least half his size... Yeah, she's in little beast mode right now. I trained her this morning, and she's like - she's feeling it. She's starting to understand her body a little more too. And, man, she can punch and she can kick and she's - she's a gamer... No question, she's like, '11 tomorrow? 10 tomorrow? Let's go. Let's go.' You know. So yeah, it's cool. She comes in with a great attitude."

-- TT: "It's fun to train them - also train them together sometimes... I trained her and Paul Blackthorne, who plays Quentin Lance on the show... And he's got some back issues." He said that EBR and PB came in at the same time once and trained together. He said that they were kinda competitive with each other, but they were also like a team against him. TT joked about PB going around saying, "I'm Conor McGregor, I'm Conor McGregor" when he gets worked up.

-- TT said that SA will tell production that, if they want him shirtless the next week, then they have to "pencil my workouts in."

-- TT said that SA was taller than he expected. Since DR and PB are both big, tall guys (plus EK is also really tall), SA doesn't look that tall on the show. TT mentioned SA wondering why the show kept casting these really big guys around the superhero. But in real life, SA is a big guy. TT also mentioned when SA was on American Ninja Warrior. He said that SA is a leader. 

-- TT said that he gets questions from a lot of fans about how SA trains and gets in shape. He also said that SA was "granted a lot of natural abilities," but he "doesn't squander them."

-- TT said that he was training Candice Patton halfway through last season and she came back that day to train again. He said that she's "not a big fan of gyms, not a big fan of that sort of stuff," but she "wanted to give boxing a go." And after she threw her first "cutting straight right," she liked it and wanted to do it again. TT said that she has a "self-admitted aversion to new things," so he liked that he helped her enjoy something new. TT said that "she's a wicked little boxer." 

-- TT: "Boxing's actually a really good thing for actors, a really good thing for people, because you're gonna mess up. It's not going to be - but you have to just reset and go again. And Emily said that. She was in [unintelligible words] totally makes sense... You throw a combination and you're, like, 'uh, I messed up!' Anyways, moving on. And you do it again. And that's a good practice for actors to have, because they need to have, like, that ability to just let it go - it's not the end of the world - let's go again, you know... It's been cool. It's been awesome to see that... When you see people just get the itch, you know what I mean? ... Oh, they want to come back and play... They feel awesome when it's over."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9
17 minutes ago, kes0704 said:

Exactly. I feel like Dinah has been given elevated and unearned importance in the show not because she is in any way necessary or relevant to Oliver and his story but because she has the “important” comic book name/codename.

Replying in Bitterness thread, even though I'm not bitter about the show.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Manu Bennett was at Toronto Comic Con this weekend - here's his full panel (I have not watched it)...

Toronto Comic Con 2018 - Manu Bennett - FULL PANEL
Published on Mar 18, 2018, by Face of Doe

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Podcast interview with Arrowverse trainer, Thomas Taylor, from September (audio only, about 1 hour long)...

SUPERHERO STRENGTH PODCAST: EPISODE 12: THOMAS TAYLOR [T3 ATHLETICS]
James Buckley   September 18, 2017
http://www.superherostrength.com.au/episode-12/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha3Wfdus2QE

-- TT explained how he started working with Arrow actors. He was training out of a martial arts gym called InFighting in Vancouver. He's good friends with the owner of Infighting; they've trained together for 20+ years. That owner is good friends with James Bamford. At the time, Laurel was going to transform into Black Canary. So TT got a text from his friend telling him that KC was going to be calling him because "she needs to learn how to fight, she needs to learn how to move properly... to look like a superhero, to look the part." TT said that KC was "dedicated" and worked hard. After Bamford saw his "success" with KC, TT started training other Arrow actors. So now, Bamford will tell him "what he needs to develop in" the actor, and then TT will "do his damnest to make that happen... It's like little projects." 

-- TT said that he's worked with not only Arrow actors, but also actors from Flash, Legends and Supergirl. He's trained "about 15" of them. He also said that they come to him for different reasons (different kinds of training). He said that they all work hard. He also thinks that they all really want to be able to do their own stunts and sell them.

-- TT said that Josh Segarra called him at the start of last season and told him that he just wanted to stand across from SA and "not look like a complete mismatch." TT said that Josh was "one of the best people" he trained. He also said that part of it was mental attitude.

-- TT said that it's "awesome" working with SA and that "Stephen is the hardest working guy" on Arrow. He also said that SA is "very Type A" and that "when it's go time, it's go time... There's nothing half-ass about that guy... He's so strong... And he's so strong-minded... He's a machine."

-- TT (about SA and EBR): "He's also someone that still hasn't completed the Sally Up challenge. And Emily has... He's a big guy, man... Em's, like, a wicked little yogi, and she's super - you know, she's also about, like, you know, at least half his size... Yeah, she's in little beast mode right now. I trained her this morning, and she's like - she's feeling it. She's starting to understand her body a little more too. And, man, she can punch and she can kick and she's - she's a gamer... No question, she's like, '11 tomorrow? 10 tomorrow? Let's go. Let's go.' You know. So yeah, it's cool. She comes in with a great attitude."

-- TT: "It's fun to train them - also train them together sometimes... I trained her and Paul Blackthorne, who plays Quentin Lance on the show... And he's got some back issues." He said that EBR and PB came in at the same time once and trained together. He said that they were kinda competitive with each other, but they were also like a team against him. TT joked about PB going around saying, "I'm Conor McGregor, I'm Conor McGregor" when he gets worked up.

-- TT said that SA will tell production that, if they want him shirtless the next week, then they have to "pencil my workouts in."

-- TT said that SA was taller than he expected. Since DR and PB are both big, tall guys (plus EK is also really tall), SA doesn't look that tall on the show. TT mentioned SA wondering why the show kept casting these really big guys around the superhero. But in real life, SA is a big guy. TT also mentioned when SA was on American Ninja Warrior. He said that SA is a leader. 

-- TT said that he gets questions from a lot of fans about how SA trains and gets in shape. He also said that SA was "granted a lot of natural abilities," but he "doesn't squander them."

-- TT said that he was training Candice Patton halfway through last season and she came back that day to train again. He said that she's "not a big fan of gyms, not a big fan of that sort of stuff," but she "wanted to give boxing a go." And after she threw her first "cutting straight right," she liked it and wanted to do it again. TT said that she has a "self-admitted aversion to new things," so he liked that he helped her enjoy something new. TT said that "she's a wicked little boxer." 

-- TT: "Boxing's actually a really good thing for actors, a really good thing for people, because you're gonna mess up. It's not going to be - but you have to just reset and go again. And Emily said that. She was in [unintelligible words] totally makes sense... You throw a combination and you're, like, 'uh, I messed up!' Anyways, moving on. And you do it again. And that's a good practice for actors to have, because they need to have, like, that ability to just let it go - it's not the end of the world - let's go again, you know... It's been cool. It's been awesome to see that... When you see people just get the itch, you know what I mean? ... Oh, they want to come back and play... They feel awesome when it's over."

Since I can't recall Felicity having had any fight scenes since like going back to 4-9, I have to assume that EBR is there just because she loves it.  And while I'm in NO hurry to see Arrow end, I bet she'll move on to her next jobs far more trained in the art of looking like a fighter than the normal actor.  So that's a nice bonus for staying in camera-ready shape.

• Love 8

Looks like he deleted the post about it from this weekend and re-posted about the march yesterday, which wiped out all the original comments. I don’t blame him.

Edited by Trisha
typo

That appears to be their hobby, defending their God-given right to defend themselves against their fellow Americans with their own God-given right to shoot.  (What a waste of an episode that gun episode was.)

Good for SA for going on the march. I wonder how his Texas relatives feel about it.  Maybe having a child makes a difference.

• Love 4

If you are up in arms (no pun intended) about high school kids advocating for their right not to die in school (as I sit here and watch coverage of another school shooting while I'm typing this), you need to re-examine your life.

I'm glad Stephen let them know he doesn't GAF, just like when people complained about him supporting Vancouver Pride.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 8