Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

But what we got on screen was not in the script other than dialogue essentially. The directing from the page did not go to screen. I'm not seeing how reading the script negates the magic that happened between SA and EBR. I mean I'm not trying to talk anyone out of their opinion but for me, it doesn't materially change the scene on screen nor changes that the actors elevated that from garbage to the meet-cute

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 11

Well they surely didn't really follow the script with the direction. Just the dialogue. Which seems to be a lot of body acting and ad-libbbing with facial expression that wasn't on the script. Especially for Emily. She has a keen sense of really using her whole body to act. Especially in that chamber scene in 4X09 (the I love you between the glass.)

7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't think the "Oliver just...SMILES" was meant to be a direction for him to smile at the end in a genuine manner.  The full caps on smiles says to me he was suppose to be kind of indulgent of her twitterpatted reaction but he just takes all as his natural due.  Like a hero grin while getting his praise.  

Yeah, I agree. I thought the Oliver...SMILES was supposed to be code for Oliver showing his fratboy Ollie smile, since  the previous line before that is [Felicity] looks like she could pass out. He's trying to charm her in the scene to get his laptop looked at, after all. I think they wanted Oliver to play his fratboy side to Felicity but it ended up not turning out that way at all. 

I just find it funny because reading the script and then watching the scene again, it's almost like the written directions are somewhat reversed. It ends up being SA who has Oliver being smitten while EBR plays Felicity as less of a fangirl to Oliver Queen like she's clearly supposed to in the script. 

So thank god for EBR's actual portrayal of Felicity Smoak and SA's break in character that he never knew would end up being part of his character, after all. 

Also, I don't understand how Felicity was supposed to appear smitten after Oliver says his line about his coffee shop being in a bad neighbourhood as the reason for his bullet hole ridden laptop. 

• Love 13

Fan report on DR panel at CCXP-Sao Paolo Expo in Brazil (Dec. 3, 2016)...

Can we just focus on the fact that David said: 1. Felicity brings out Oliver's humanity; 2. He wants Olicity but wants Felicity to not be defined by any guy, 3. reaaaaaaaaally misses baby sara; 4. would get Olicity married now if he could write the show; 5. OTA competes between themselves who farts louder; 6. thinks we should breathe a little cause the season has 23 episode and things wil come full circle. 7. would love to have constantine back.

http://louiseblue1.tumblr.com/post/154004588782/can-we-just-focus-on-the-fact-that-david-said-1

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

It's a matter of money. Recurring actors get specific rates up front and standard residual payments (dictated by SAG and CW Rates). They can also be dropped on a whim, unless contracted for a specific number of episodes. Series Regulars (for Arrow and probably all of ther Berlanti shows) usually have negotiated (lower) rates per episode but, are given profits on the backend to make up for it. Series Regulars also get perks, which mean nothing to us, hair/makeup/wardrobe/call times but, matter to actors.  Finally if they are given long term contracts there's a break up clause.

So if you're testing the water or don't expect to keep the actor around for multiple years, probably better to go with a Major Recurring, possibly series regular over a Series Regular contract (even for a year, which would require renegotiation).

I'm still not sure why DA Chase is a Series Regular right now. I can only assume they have something big planned for the back half and needed to lock him in.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

It's pretty usual practice that when the leads of a show ask EPs for less work hours [this happens a lot, especially in the latter seasons of long running shows], new characters will get more screen time, instead of the other non-leads characters.

We know SA asked for less work hours, so giving WD and Curtis a lot to do is probably a consequence of that.

edit to add: screen time, either more or less of it,  is not considered a perk. Time off while getting the same amounts of money = huge ass awesome perk.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 6

For me it's not the quantity of screentime, it's the quality. So Felicity might have the most screen time besides Oliver, but that doesn't mean that she is getting the most storylines or focus. So I would take Wild Dog or Curtis having more screentime than her if it meant that the show would give her/her storylines sole focus and not having them be about propping the next newbie mask. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

Do you mean the characters? Oliver mentioned him in the premiere when he talked to Thea about killing again. 

Yeah, I meant the characters. Not even a throw away line of what happened to him after last season's finale, or them wondering what he's up to. I mean, this guy used  to hang in the shadows of the bunker. /rant over.

I'm sorry, it's not that I miss Malcolm, but I'd like some semblance of continuity. :)

• Love 2

A video clip from DR panel at CCXP-Sao Paolo Expo (Brazil) on Dec. 3...

David Ramsey talks about Olicity at CCXP
Published on Dec 3, 2016, by alwaysbett

-- Mod noted that some love Olicity and some hate Olicity and asked if the show will have Olicity again.  DR: "Well... that's a great question. The show - the show is now in season 5. Um, and you're right - the fandom for the, uh, people that really want Olicity is very strong. The fandom that think they should be more of the comic book lore which has Oliver and Laurel together, um, they're very strong. Um, I think that the writers have to write for 23 episodes. That's a lot of work, that's a lot of - and I think a lot of people don't quite realize that. We work 10 to 14 hours a day, 9 months out of the year, 23 episodes. That's a lot of writing. That's a LOT of writing. That's a lot of story. And, um, I think that the story's very big. So I think - I think Diggle wants to see them together. And I think that, um - I think that he's more human, Oliver, in Diggle's eyes - he's more human when he has to face himself through Felicity. I think that's Diggle's perspective. But I don't know exactly what the writers are up to. Um, I think Stephen was talking to a fan just recently and, um, he said 'you can't always get what you want' to some fans. And, um - and I don't know if even Stephen knows. And I don't know if even the writers know exactly where they want to take it. I really don't know. They don't tell us everything. So, uh - but I can say that I - I - I think that - for me, I like the idea of Felicity not defining herself through her relationship with a man. (Audience claps and cheers) I like that she can be her own person. And she can be strong and feminine... and own a company... without pining - and I don't know how you say 'pining' in Portuguese, but - ... over a man - Oliver or any other man. So, um, so I'll see where they go with that. But me personally, I would like to see all these characters very fleshed out, whether she's with Oliver or not. But I would want for her to be with Oliver on her own terms."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Yeah, he's saying that he doesn't want to see Felicity pining over a man or defining herself by her relationship with a man.  Too bad the EPs don't see it that way.

I think Diggle wants to see them together. And I think that, um - I think that he's more human, Oliver, in Diggle's eyes - he's more human when he has to face himself through Felicity. I think that's Diggle's perspective.

I want David Ramsey to write this show.  I've been seeing Oliver as unpleasant all season.

• Love 13

A few days ago someone was wondering how did Nielsen measure social engagement on Twitter, well -- they posted this about their methodology today:

http://www.nielsensocial.com/methodology-matters-a-key-to-social-tv-measurement-is-in-the-details/

There are two main takeaways from these findings.

First, capturing the total social conversation around TV programming requires tracking more than just official program handles and hashtags. In order to provide comprehensive social TV measurement, it’s imperative to consider a wider set of classifiers, like character names and organic program hashtags. Limited classifier sets not only result in underreporting of total program activity, but may also affect program rankings.

Second, understanding engagement with both organic activity and  owned accounts is important for programmers seeking to fully understand program activity. While organic activity drives the lionshare of engagement, there is significantly more engagement per Owned Tweet, providing networks with a clear opportunity to drive this portion of social buzz through strong content and optimized timing of posts.

Arrow's official Twitter: doin' it wrong.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 8
41 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

A few days ago someone was wondering how did Nielsen measure social engagement on Twitter, well -- they posted this about their methodology today:

http://www.nielsensocial.com/methodology-matters-a-key-to-social-tv-measurement-is-in-the-details/

Arrow's official Twitter: doin' it wrong.

Wow. Considering how some of Arrow's most engaged fan Twitter accounts have been turned off this season, this article from the same site seems very relevant also: 

http://www.nielsensocial.com/the-making-of-social-tv-loyal-fans-and-big-moments-build-program-related-buzz/

The study also revealed which programs had the most socially loyal fans during the past TV season. Social loyalty was defined as the share of authors who Tweet about three or more episodes during a season. For the top loyal programs up to 24% of authors posted with such a frequency over the course of the season.

In addition to their loyalty, program authors who Tweeted about three or more episodes also exhibited other traits that could be valuable for TV networks and advertisers. On average, these authors sent nearly 3 times as many Tweets per episode than other authors. They were also found to have more followers and sent more Tweets about brands. Identifying and cultivating relationships with loyal authors could be powerful for TV networks and advertisers as they each look to maximize earned media driven by TV content and advertising.

Edited by MariaHill
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

What's an "Owned Tweet"?

Their nomenclature is "owned tweet" = any tweet that comes from official accounts linked to the show. "Organic tweet" = everyone else not involved with the show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MariaHill said:

In addition to their loyalty, program authors who Tweeted about three or more episodes also exhibited other traits that could be valuable for TV networks and advertisers. On average, these authors sent nearly 3 times as many Tweets per episode than other authors. They were also found to have more followers and sent more Tweets about brands. Identifying and cultivating relationships with loyal authors could be powerful for TV networks and advertisers as they each look to maximize earned media driven by TV content and advertising.

The old media (radio, TV, print) are struggling to find ad revenue in the new social media age.  This is one direction they hope will pan out for them.

The CW is really blowing it with Arrow.

• Love 9

David Ramsey talks about Flashpoint effects on Arrow at CCXP
Published on Dec 5, 2016, by alwaysbett

-- DR: "You know, John Diggle now has a son... Well, it's too bad! Uh, Flash, Barry... he messed it up for everybody. For everybody. So now Baby Sara - Baby Sara was awesome! She was awesome. Every time I was doing a scene, you know, and - listen, every time you do see a scene with me and Baby Sara, you see a whole lot of Baby Sara and a whole little amount of Diggle. Right? They just turned the camera around and Baby Sara, she's like (makes cute facial expressions) ...  Who is this kid, man? So, anyway, if you guys don't know, Barry - you're gonna know now - um, Barry did some things in The Flash, um, called Flashpoint, he changed some things in the past and it affected all of our lives. And it affected Diggle particularly in that he no longer has a child, Baby Sara. He has another child, John Jr., who's very cute too, but he ain't no Baby Sara. No, but he's cute... I think that was to connect it to the - there's another storyline in the alternate universe where, um, my son takes on the mantle, far in the future, of the Green Arrow. You guys probably know that. And, um, so I think they wanted to connect that tissue with me having a son. Though I see no reason why Diggle couldn't have had two children. Right? But no. So, um - so, yeah, that happened with my family. And Diggle finds this out - the fact that he once had a daughter - he found out in the crossover episodes."

-- DR said that he liked the crossover episodes, although he hadn't seen the LoT episode yet. He wanted more in Supergirl. 

-- When asked whether there'll be other Flashpoint effects like the return of Black Canary, DR: "I will say that the Canary's death meant a lot to the fabric of the Arrow universe, to the fans. Um, that scene where - in the hospital where the Canary died, Katie's character Laurel died in the hospital - those tears you see with us are real, everyone was shaken - the crew, everyone. No one wanted to say good-bye to Katie Cassidy... We're all good friends. She lives in Vancouver where we shoot the show, but no one wanted to say goodbye to her. So it was very, very sad. And I don't know if the producers - I think that they did, I mean, I can't speak for them -  but I don't know if anyone really expected as large a response as they - as we got from the fans. Um, at least I didn't expect it. And I'm not quite what the writers or producers expected. I'm sure they expected some. But it was a very large outpouring of grief really from the fans as well... So I'm not quite - I think they took some of that to heart and I'm not quite sure what's going to happen exactly with the Canary character, um, but they're listening...

I - I - I know some things are -are percolating, you know, because they really are listening to how the fans reacted to Canary's death.

And that's all I can really say about that."

Edited by tv echo
22 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Does that surprise you even a little? 

I know it shouldn't, but it does, haha. I mean, doesn't he read it in the scripts? I want to pat his back for the moment he realizes it, though. :)

3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Was it a one time thing or did he misspell it continuously? If it was once, it could just be a typo.

It was two or three times..otherwise I'd be more lenient, haha ;)

• Love 1