Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Just now, Chaser said:

What was the offensive fanart retweeted by the writers?

Just going to ask that. Considering I saw Olicity Felicity fans tweeting anger I assuming it was something not good for Felicity.... which isn't going to improve their relationship discord with the Olicity fandom.

Okay....

offensiveness aside why would they tweet that when the art is so ugly?

But yeah I can understand why Felicity fans and Olicity fans were pissed. Sheesh the writers do them selves no favours.

Thanks for posting

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 7

Were people getting on their case and they realized it wasn't the nicest picture? The sad part is that by posting stuff like that they encourage people to not post their fan arts anymore which are just for fun. 

Edited by Belinea
Just now, Chaser said:

I'm wondering if they never opened the full picture

I am not on twitter so I don't know how it works. Do you not have to see the whole imagine before retweeting it? Does that mean they didn't look at the pic and just post it?

3 minutes ago, Belinea said:

I am not on twitter so I don't know how it works. Do you not have to see the whole imagine before retweeting it? Does that mean they didn't look at the pic and just post it?

It depends..when I am on the computer as far as I remember I always see the full pics, on mobile some pics appear cut and I have to click on the pic to see it all.

5 minutes ago, Belinea said:

I'm not sure if it's this way on every browser, but I use Safari, and I can only see the middle of photos - I have to click on them to see them in full. Same in my app. Retweeting without opening it is a complete boneheaded move. 

• Love 4

I don't know why it was retweeted but according to Beth (I thought she ran the account, she doesn't), it should have never been tweeted. So i'm guessing they have interns running social media because the writers SHOULD know better.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

OMG Do they know each other!?

I really like Daisy!!!!

EBR and CB spend Halloween together, at least they have for the past 2 years? (Maybe more?). So they definitely know each other! 

For the photo. The screencap I have of it shows Felicity in it, so even if they didn't open it before retweeting it, there

s a chance they  could have seen her.

rsz_screen_shot_2016-12-02_at_115341_am.jpg

Edited by HighHopes
editing because of grammar/adding clarification that I was making an observation/stating an opinion and not a fact.
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

For the photo. The screencap I have of it shows Felicity in it, so even if they didn't open it before retweeting it, they still saw her. rsz_screen_shot_2016-12-02_at_115341_am.jpg

That's an incredibly baseless thing to say. Just because you could see it doesn't mean they could because a lot of people saw it like this: 

CysmLB_WgAAAk-k.jpg

You can't prove what they saw and what they didn't see based on what your browser shows/doesn't show.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

That's an incredibly baseless thing to say. Just because you could see it doesn't mean they could because a lot of people saw it like this: 

CysmLB_WgAAAk-k.jpg

You can't prove what they saw and what they didn't see based on what your browser shows/doesn't show.

It was just an observation. The original photo didn't show it from Twitter, so I added what I saw/knew/had. Everything is all objective. The only person who know for sure is the person who did the retweeting. 

I can't 100% say for sure what they say, and neither can you. No one can. I added my opinion to the discussion, which last time I checked as allowed. 

• Love 2
Just now, HighHopes said:

I can't 100% say for sure what they say, and neither can you. No one can. I added my opinion to the discussion, which last time I checked as allowed. 

You wrote that even if they didn't open it before retweeting, they still saw her. That sounds like you were pretty sure. 

Just now, apinknightmare said:

You wrote that even if they didn't open it before retweeting, they still saw her. That sounds like you were pretty sure. 

And someone said they probably didn't see her because of cropping. I added my own observations/a screen cap that shows that they might have. 

Also -- this just sprung to mind while I was thinking about our conversation earlier... The writers not writing that scene where Oliver whispers "Felicity" or putting enough weight on that moment doesn't mean they're not writing for them anymore...

Remember it is the Smoak Technology building that led Oliver back home. A building that has a 50ft Smoak sign on it. If that isn't an anvil on the head IDK what is because it could've easily been anything else in the world. 

• Love 2

I don't think the writers are writing against them, but I don't think they're writing for them at this point.  Smoak Technologies was a convenient signpost because all the Lances were in the dream world as their normal selves so the writers needed something that didn't fit into the world to get Oliver out.  Maybe they toyed with Harper Parkour Gym.

All the kudos to EBR and SA for that scene in 103 where it ended up with Oliver "smitten" rather than Felicity.  It really did show the way to saving the show.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I don't think the writers are writing against them, but I don't think they're writing for them at this point.  Smoak Technologies was a convenient signpost because all the Lances were in the dream world as their normal selves so the writers needed something that didn't fit into the world to get Oliver out.  Maybe they toyed with Harper Parkour Gym.

But why not Palmer Tech though? Or it easily still could've been QC considering Moira/Robert were still alive and rich... It definitely is the same building so...  Of all things, I think Smoak Tech was an interesting choice because unlike Palmer Tech/QC which were heavily featured in the real world, they chose Smoak Tech an easter egg that was in LoT - something that Oliver has never even known/thought of/seen. 

I think it had to be something that didn't exist naturally in the Dream World so it would be significant to Oliver as something that stuck out as being out of place.  Robert made some reference to Palmer Tech and of course QC was often referenced.

I think it's like "Felicity's Havenrock arc" which they tried to sell as some big significant Felicity story but ended up only serving Rory and was gone.  Something they point to and say "See, we're honoring her/them" but in reality is just a sop to Felicity fans without real meaning in terms of the season's story.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I think it had to be something that didn't exist naturally in the Dream World so it would be significant to Oliver as something that stuck out as being out of place.  Robert made some reference to Palmer Tech and of course QC was often referenced.

I'm not sure that makes sense to me... If it was something that stuck out as being out of place - why would the aliens construct that? Because that would attract him towards Smoak Tech even more. So logically I understand why it had to stand out, narratively it doesn't make sense at all. That being said, why did it even have to be an office building? It literally could've been anything in the world but they decided on Smoak Tech. 

I think that there's a huge significance to that. But I believe we've reached an impasse.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2

The flashbacks themselves seem significant too me. The relationship was presented as romantic, it was a love story. They could have easily used other scenes that emphasized their partnership and friendship. They used a kiss, date, sex, a ring... If this is your first time watching Arrow, you would know that Felicity is his real love.

• Love 17
16 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I'm not sure that makes sense to me... If it was something that stuck out as being out of place - why would the aliens construct that? 

Why did the aliens let Oliver have such a nice goodbye with all his "lost" loves (except for his kid, so poor show, aliens)? 

Because that's how it was written.

Come to think of it, why in the world would the aliens have allowed a big exit sign of any kind? 

Same answer.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I think that there's a huge significance to that.

I think there will be a huge significance to it in the future if they decide they want there to be one. 

Or it'll be this:

24 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I think it's like "Felicity's Havenrock arc" which they tried to sell as some big significant Felicity story but ended up only serving Rory and was gone.  Something they point to and say "See, we're honoring her/them" but in reality is just a sop to Felicity fans without real meaning in terms of the season's story.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I think there will be a huge significance to it in the future if they decide they want there to be one. 

Or it'll be this:

Definitely. I think the next few episodes will be indicative of this.

7 hours ago, HighHopes said:

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/804747420097646593

MG just "happened" to have the script from O/F's first meeting that he "didn't end up using for an article". (I see you MG wanting the shippers back). Can we just thank god for EBR and how she played Felicity? Because IMO, there was nothing "smitten" about her in this episode, and she definitely didn't look like she was going to pass out. 

CysJg2jUkAAaPVl.jpg

In a way, this script is disappointing after the numerous times SA has described this scene and EBR's effect on him and Oliver--he's always claimed that he broke character when Oliver smiled, but it's clearly in the script.  If I recall correctly, he might have smiled a few lines before it was scripted, but that now seems like an acting choice than an unintentional breaking of character.

• Love 1

I was disappointed in the script because Felicity was supposed to be such a dingbat who immediately fell for this sleazy guy.  Women falling like ninepins before s1 Olvier is not a show I wanted to watch.

But I what I see in the script is Oliver doing his trademark fake smile  that doesn't make it beyond his lips (Felicity is smitten, the manipulation is working) and SA breaking character and genuinely smiling.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

If I recall correctly, he might have smiled a few lines before it was scripted, but that now seems like an acting choice than an unintentional breaking of character.

I think when Oliver smiles at her babbling, that's not scripted. (Right before/while he says "I'm having trouble with my computer"). Whether it was break in character or improv, I guess we won't know for sure. That seemed more like a genuine smile than the scripted smile at the end, which IMO was the fake "Ollie" smile he gave to everyone else.

(I might have watched that first meeting more times than I should :P)

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So, now he's lying about breaking character and genuinely smiling instead of acting in that scene?

No one said anything about lying. Just different interpretations of the scene/script

I'm more curious as to why there is all this behind the scenes kerfuffle about s1 now. It's all done and dusted! Interesting they are releasing these scripts etc

Is this because of the 100 episodes nostalgia or is there a conspiracy at play *muhahahahaha*

8 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

No one said anything about lying. Just different interpretations of the scene/script

Actually this person did...

21 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

In a way, this script is disappointing after the numerous times SA has described this scene and EBR's effect on him and Oliver--he's always claimed that he broke character when Oliver smiled, but it's clearly in the script.  If I recall correctly, he might have smiled a few lines before it was scripted, but that now seems like an acting choice than an unintentional breaking of character.

It's clearly in the script...therefore he really didn't break character liked he claimed!

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm more curious as to why there is all this behind the scenes kerfuffle about s1 now. It's all done and dusted! Interesting they are releasing these scripts etc

Is this because of the 100 episodes nostalgia or is there a conspiracy at play *muhahahahaha*

I think he released it for two reasons too prove he's not an Olicity shipper hater and female shipper hater after his recent behaviour which lead many shippers to call him out on his perceived sexism. He's throwing a bone.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I think when Oliver smiles at her babbling, that's not scripted. (Right before/while he says "I'm having trouble with my computer"). Whether it was break in character or improv, I guess we won't know for sure. That seemed more like a genuine smile than the scripted smile at the end, which IMO was the fake "Ollie" smile he gave to everyone else.

(I might have watched that first meeting more times than I should :P)

Yep, that's the smile I think of when SA tells his Emily story. The one after the babbling, right before she starts counting down. Because that's the one where you could kinda see him trying to stop from smiling but failing. (Yes, I might have watched that first meeting and stared at GIFS a few too many times to be healthy as well). Not the smile at the end because that definitely looked like a fake smile.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Yep, that's the smile I think of when SA tells his Emily story. The one after the babbling, right before she starts counting down. Because that's the one where you could kinda see him trying to stop from smiling but failing. (Yes, I might have watched that first meeting and stared at GIFS a few too many times to be healthy as well). Not the smile at the end because that definitely looked like a fake smile.

Thanks for posting the clip, lol. It reminds me that I smile along with the both of them whenever I watch it, because she's so charming, and he's so charmed by her. Oliver is definitely the one that's smitten in that scene, not Felicity.

• Love 18

I didn't claim he lied about it at all, and my tone was certainly more wistful than accusatory, unlike @Morrigan2575's curt analysis of my post.

SA has been telling the story forever, long before the current Arrow-Olicity kerfuffle. And, he's always told it in a way that was 100% complimentary to EBR and Felicity. His feelings about the scene (as expressed in interviews) have always seemed genuine to me.

My interpretation of the script note "Oliver just . . . SMILES" wasn't the same as those who perceived it as one of Ollie's smarmy smiles. Even if the showrunners/writers anticipated Felicity as being a 1-episode easter egg, her lines had a certain charm, and the writers have mentioned having fun writing her.  So, it isn't a stretch (given that we can only speculate the intent of "Oliver . . .  just SMILES"), that the scripted smile expressed Oliver's unexpected delight. 

That doesn't discount SA's fond account of the experience or even suggest that he didn't authentically smile in reaction to EBR's performance. Perhaps, despite the SMILE at the bottom of the page being scripted, the smile that occurred earlier in the scene was entirely spontaneous. But, I also don't know whether the little smile we saw on screen was from the first take or the tenth.

My original point was that I had always understood the scene one way, but that the script page gave me something new to consider that is at odds with how I've felt up until now: Spontaneity leading to EBR becoming a series regular and Felicity being a part of OTA and Oliver's love/moral compass = TV magic. So, yeah, being confronted by new evidence that might undermine my favorite example of TV Magic is a tad disappointing to me.

• Love 8

I think I get what your saying @EmeraldArcher There was always a narrative the show spun that this scene was written as nothing more then a filler exposition scene but that Emily's charm and Stephens reaction to her and a natural chemistry between the two made it something more and there by changed the course of the show. And while I think that's still true the script reveal does show that it was intentionally written to be a meet cute between Oliver and Felicity which I too found surprising. 

• Love 4

I don't really understand why SA's accounting of his experience is in opposition to what was in the script. I'm not getting the issue. Oliver smiled 3 times in that scene 1) politely tight lipped in the office 2) smiled at her babbling and then again at her head tilt. If SA says he broke I believe him. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't really understand why SA's accounting of his experience is in opposition to what was in the script. I'm not getting the issue. Oliver smiled 3 times in that scene 1) politely tight lipped in the office 2) smiled at her babbling and then again at her head tilt. If SA says he broke I believe him. 

It's not that his account his the opposite of the script. It's just that the script added an element to the scene that the audience was previously unaware of. Prior to this script, I imagined the scene without all of the "Felicity stops talking, thank god" or the "Felicity is smitten" elements in it. I just figured it was a simply a script of just dialogue for an extra with a speaking role for one scene. Who had a name because it was an easter egg for the comic readers. 

And then we find out that the script had actual direction (there's a word I'm thinking of but I can't think of it right now) and may have been meant to act as a meet cute (like @LeighAn mentioned). Now we know that Felicity was written as smitten with Oliver, and that she was going to pass out because of him (uhh.. have these writers ever met a woman before?). 

EBR still definitely elevated the scene, and thank god for that, and it changed what was previously written. But IMO, the previously written scene wasn't as different as what was filmed as I originally thought it was. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 1