Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I don't really mind that she does that. The fact is that she is not like Caity, not a natural at playing a superhero. She wasn't cast for that ability. She was cast to play the LI and they figured they'd be fine with stunt doubles doing the fighting. So, having the LI role taken from her is a way bigger problem for her. She was supposed to be able to handle that herself.

I don't mind when she does things like this because it's her career and I can't really blame people for prioritizing their careers. It won't work, but she kinda has to try. It would've been better if she'd been on board with reconceptualizing the character but it's too late for that.

it is a stupid try that her people should have warned her against, so while I don't blame her for trying, I reserve the right to laugh at it.
  • Love 2
(edited)

it is a stupid try that her people should have warned her against, so while I don't blame her for trying, I reserve the right to laugh at it.

I don't think her people are the right kind of people to manage someone dealing with fandom. Katie doesn't do well in highly fannish contexts, doesn't have the instincts. She needs a publicist who gets it and can coach her on how to speak to intensely engaged audiences. It really isn't even about avoiding saying things like this. A lot of the problems could've been handled if she had just parroted back some fandom arguments as if they were her own. When asked about Loliver, don't talk about soulmates, talk about how really problematic the sister swapping is and how much has gone down, and how you never know what the writers will do but you'd just really like L and O to be able to get to a place of friendship and be able to work together. Talk intelligently about what's going on with the entire show, not just this narrow focus on your own character that doesn't even jive with what the audience thinks.

Look at DR. DR talks about the whole show. He talks about all the relationships. Now of course Diggle is at the center of the relationships so there isn't much he can talk about that doesn't have something to do with his character, but still. The fandom audience likes to hear the actors thinking about the work as a whole. It would help if she sounded enthusiastic about other people's storylines, you know? Fake being a fan of your own show. Everyone else seems like a fan of the show.

Media training...I think it means something a bit different when you're dealing with fandom. There is an expectation these days that the people working on the show can also fangirl/boy when they need to. On a show where you have Stephen being like King of social media, most of the cast fangirling, Marc available frequently on Tumblr and Twitter, seeming disengaged from the show and not really understanding what's going on isn't a good position to take. Becoming aware of fandom nonsense is the best way to handle fandom nonsense. Pretend like you are one of us, in a way.

Edited by ostentatious
  • Love 18

I On a show where you have Stephen being like King of social media.

You mean he's the king so his loyal subjects ignore his disgusting comments.

It must run in that family, Robbie Amell is an unrepentant misogynist on social media too.

I mean he deliberately has a presence throughout social media and focuses on it. He engages with folks on other shows. He makes his own media fixations clear, like...we know he loves Mad Men, for example. This has obviously paid off for him big time, since it's really the mainstream media that consider him the king of social media. I'm not sure what your agenda is here regarding misogyny in the Amell clan. I don't pay that much attention to him, and I pay no attention to Robbie. I somehow doubt that characterization would meet with much agreement from people without an agenda who do pay attention, though.

I have a friend who works in PR, and they said that in their opinion, what she should've done really early on - I would think summer after season one - was to seem to ship Olicity. She knew the romantic focus was being switched to Olicity at the beginning of season two, because hello, she reads the scripts. She knew Olicity was a juggernaut online. Seeming to react to Olicity like the audience did - "those two just have great chemistry and hey, I'm not just an actor, I'm a fan of the show too!! I enjoy their work! But you know, I just do what the writers give me..." It's too late now, but early on it would've been a great idea. But taking the long view like this isn't something I think many actors could do on their own, especially if they aren't fannish themselves. Which is why a publicist with this expertise is needed. Really, it's more like *political* PR than traditional entertainment media training.

• Love 14

You mean he's the king so his loyal subjects ignore his disgusting comments.

It must run in that family, Robbie Amell is an unrepentant misogynist on social media too.

Although I appreciate anyone who takes the time to use correct spelling and grammar, he's ticked me off a few times with things he's said on social media, too. (Stephen, I never followed Robbie)

• Love 2
(edited)

Something misogynistic, though? I remember last fall when people were posting those idiotic manips editing KC out of the poster he said something that was apparently a racist term in some country but not in the US or Canada? That's the only -ism I remember him being accused of.

I just read a lot of blogs that despise him, and I cannot imagine that they'd ever stop bringing up anything he said that could be interpreted as misogynistic. It'd be delicious candy for them.

Edited by ostentatious

Thank you! It took me some time, too, until I found the error... (I´m German.)

It's a common mistake even for native English speakers. In casual use (read, the internet) I don't think most people worry about it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It's pretty much just called knowing your audience. Caity Lotz is new to acting but she knew how to handle the Olicity question even when Sara and Oliver were together. She said she knows they are really popular and she loves Stephen and Emily. She didn't really give her stance on Olicity, but she didn't say anything negative either and talked about how she loves working with the actors. That's answer doesn't hurt anyone.

Then she's gone on to say after they killed her off that she didn't expect Oliver and Sara to hook up and had to adjust everything she thought about for the character of Sara to make it work. I think she even said that Oliver and Sara were never right for each other, they were just what they needed at that time. When she does speak about her character she gives intelligent insight. 

To me KC seems to have a really superficial opinion of her character. I never hear her get inside the head of Laurel when she talks about her. It makes me think that she doesn't think much about it, despite being a so called method actor, which to her appears to mean only take on the physical attributes.  

Every time she talks about Laurel it's like she still talking about Season 1 Laurel or the character description she was given in the first script she received. Where is her insight? Not what the writers or producer tell her about her character. Everything she's said about Laurel I've heard the producers say the exact same thing in an earlier interview. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 10

SA's an opinionated guy who tends to shoot his mouth off sometimes but I find it refreshing that he's willing to be so real and unfiltered with his fans. And for every impulsive, hot-headed comment he makes, there's 50+ examples of him being a stand-up guy who's genuinely trying to do some good with his fame, which I'm sorry to say is rare in Hollywood these days. Case in point . . .

F8phB31.jpg

• Love 8

Something misogynistic, though? I remember last fall when people were posting those idiotic manips editing KC out of the poster he said something that was apparently a racist term in some country but not in the US or Canada? That's the only -ism I remember him being accused of.

I just read a lot of blogs that despise him, and I cannot imagine that they'd ever stop bringing up anything he said that could be interpreted as misogynistic. It'd be delicious candy for them.

There was his "sexual velociraptor" post on Facebook that was pretty gross and stupid. He also tweets random slut shame-y tweets about the Kardashians and such. He's been pretty good about that stuff lately, but his bro side seems to come out a lot. It's kind of fascinating to me - he's someone who's pretty comfortable showing off his bod, but seems to be pretty conservative/judgmental when it comes to what women do with theirs.

Outside of that, I do think he means well. And I can't deny the guy is good with his fans and tries to do good with what fame he's got. 

• Love 13
(edited)

In my opinion, what KC should be doing is telling her fans to ask for a love interest for Laurel!  I'm sorry, but the actress makes me dislike her when she even promotes the idea of Oliver and Laurel. Not because she isn't a beautiful woman who could play an awesome love interest, but because Oliver and Laurel have not been written well for each other.  So why not just say something like "Oh Oliver might have been Laurel's first love, but as we saw with Tommy, she can love others. So let's rally the producers to give her someone new to fall for!"

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 11

I don't think he ever slut-shamed the Kardashians...he just isn't shy about showing his dislike of them. 

Slut shame-y is probably the wrong word to use. He does comment on his general dislike of them, but in the past he has also commented about their clothing choices (or lack thereof) in a misogynistic, judgmental way, as he also tends to do with women that I'm guessing he doesn't think are "classy." Like Miley Cyrus, whose nudity he's also commented on.

• Love 2
(edited)

No, I'm not one who goes through life looking for things to be offended by and am pretty easygoing. I was agreeing with the first poster that he does tend to get a pass from fans where others might not.  In my case, I was let's say "disappointed" to be met with a pretty crass remark from SA wrapped in Easter greetings this Easter Sunday in my TL. It just rubbed me the wrong way on what is considered the holiest day of the year on the Christian calendar and would likely be offensive on some level to most observing that day for something other than chocolate bunnies.  Previously, I just knew of his charity work on social media and endless capacity to embrace his fans and this just showed another side. He was trying to make a political statement, but he just tends to channel his petulant inner frat boy now and then, so poor choice of words. We all have bad days. :)

Edited by catahoulamama
  • Love 1

The issue I have with KC promoting l/o is the fact that it makes me think that she doesn't really care what's best for her character and doesn't really know or understand her character. Because to me what's best for Laurel isn't being Oliver's love interest but I can totally see her just being single and focusing on being a vigilante and focusing on her relationship with her father and now Nyssa as well as her job.

But that's just my opinion. Laurel should stay far away from Oliver in a romantic sense because even now with the way he treats her, if she ever were to get back together with him it will obliterate any remaining respect I have for the character. Although that doesn't say much because I don't have much respect for the character.

• Love 12

In my opinion, what KC should be doing is telling her fans to ask for a love interest for Laurel!  I'm sorry, but the actress makes me dislike her when she even promotes the idea of Oliver and Laurel - not because she isn't a beautiful woman who could play an awesome love interest, but because Oliver and Laurel have not been written well for each other.  So why not just say something like "Oh Oliver might have been Laurel first love, but as we saw with Tommy, she can love others so let's rally the producers to give her someone knew to fall for!"

This is where things go side-ways for me too. I don't have a problem with actors selling themselves or trying to drum up support for story lines. KC loses me in the Oliver and Laurel discussion because it never resembled what we saw on TV. I would get annoyed right off the bat. If she still wants to try and sell Oliver and Laurel, acknowledge that their relationship hasn't been the best one and there are a lot of issues there. She can talk about getting them to friends and then a never say never. But always be mindful of the story they are selling now, she doesn't have to cheerlead for Olicity but acknowledging it would be alright.

I haven't watched the panel so I don't know how she pitched to the audience (I've heard it was kind of half-hearted), but just in the print interviews I've noticed she has backed off some of the statements and acknowledged that that isn't where her head is at least. I thought that was a step in the right direction.

• Love 6

SA's Easter Bunny/Indiana tweet gave me pause as well. I admired his intent but found it unfortunate that he chose to express himself in such a juvenile manner. Even so, I think his irrationally OTT velociraptor diatribe and fixation with punching people in the face were worse.

• Love 6
(edited)

"I was let's say "disappointed" to be met with a pretty crass remark from SA wrapped in Easter greetings this Easter Sunday in my TL. It just rubbed me the wrong way on what is considered the holiest day of the year on the Christian calendar and would likely be offensive on some level to most observing that day for something other than chocolate bunnies.

I remember that tweet. I personally didn't feel offended (and I am a practicing Catholic), because I interpreted it as something directed against a new law in Indiana that met enormous criticism on the part of the LGTB community. SA has always been a clear supporter of same sex marriage, LGTB rights etc. So I wasn't surprised about his comment. But yes, his choice of words was neither particularly funny nor decent.

However, in the past, SA posted other comments on his FB page that made me feel upset. I particularly remember a vacation pic with SA jumping into his private pool. The pic went with the question: "What do you see?" and somebody answered "A rich person." And the comments got some hundred likes. Then SA, on his part, wrote something to the regard that the poster was an "a**hole". (He used this particular word). Now, I get that SA didn't want the question of his personal wealth being raised and discussed in public - even less so on his own FB page. I would have been fine with him deleting that unwelcome comment. But his aggressive reaction was just too much IMO.

And in general, sometimes I think he lacks a certain kind of prudence when posting on his page, e.g. when he shows his living room with several (!) expensive TV sets, talks about his smart pone etc. He shows off his new found wealth in a way that can rub some people the wrong way. To give another example, he mentioned how he spontaneously bought a flight from NY to LA - "like it was a tube of toothpaste" - in order to visit his family. A friend of mine from India who shares my passion for Arrow saw the post and got a lump in his throat... some weeks ago his mother'd died in India and he didn't have the money to fly home and attend her funeral.

Now don't get me wrong: I'm not complaining about SA's salary. He's a hard working man, doesn't earn nearly as much as others in the business and, as an actor, is worth every single cent he gets. I'm fine. I'm also fine with him enjoying his new wealth. But since he himself knows what it means to be short of cash (his career before 2012 was sometimes pretty rough, as far as I know), he should be a little more sensitive with regard to the impression some of his posts can leave on people who are hard working, too, but less fortunate in their economic success.

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 2

I really didn't like the "sexual velociraptor/must REMOVE MY INFANT (seriously, she wasn't even a toddler) from the vicinity, bc slut cooties are CATCHING" comment.  I think that's when I unliked his page.

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't think she really gets the show. Sometimes when she talks about the show or just really her character she repeats the same things over and over again.

Plus shouldn't they just let it happen organically? You can't just ask for a love interest. That right there is basically just saying I want one because someone else has one.

Edited by olicityfan25

Wait he said slut cooties are catching?

He didn't use those exact words, no. He was eating in a restaurant with his wife and daughter when a "sexual velociraptor" (Miley Cyrus, I think) entered, and Stephen grabbed his daughter and left because he didn't want her to make eye contact with said velociraptor in case she spread her velociraptor cooties to his daughter or whatever. 

My favorite part about the post was when he wrote, "This is what it's like to have a daughter." WHILE WRITING THAT ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE'S DAUGHTER. Ha.

• Love 3

To give another example, he mentioned how he spontaneously bought a flight from NY to LA - "like it was a tube of toothpaste" - in order to visit his family. A friend of mine from India who shares my passion for Arrow saw the post and got a lump in his throat... some weeks ago his mother'd died in India and he didn't have the money to fly home and attend her funeral.

Now don't get me wrong: I'm not complaining about SA's salary. He's a hard working man, doesn't earn nearly as much as others in the business and, as an actor, is worth every single cent he gets. I'm fine. I'm also fine with him enjoying his new wealth. But since he himself knows what it means to be short of cash (his career before 2012 was sometimes pretty rough, as far as I know), he should be a little more sensitive with regard to the impression some of his posts can leave on people who are hard working, too, but less fortunate in their economic success.

I can feel your friends pain, my grandma passed away a couple of years ago and there would have been no time for me to go home for the funeral (Jewish custom demands burial by sunset of the day the person dies) It was very hard, unfortunately that is part of what is called the "immigrant curse" when you choose to go and live in a different faraway country, things like birthdays, births, funeral are part of it.

I was actually happy that Stephen got lucky to spend his birthday with his family.

• Love 1

Unfortunately, you'll find guys who have it together on the not being racist or homophobic front who cannot see their own sexism and why it matters.

Like Abe on Mad Men. Ugh, Stephen is like Abe on Mad Men. 

And here again is the danger with such a presence on social media. I would imagine there are very few of us who have not said stupid, unkind things around our friends when we are trying to be funny or clever. The difference, of course, is that our friends know us, that there is context and history and, if they are good friends, disapproving, yet loving, rejoinders to remind us we aren't actually being very funny or clever. Celebrities on social media often forget that fans aren't actually their friends. Their followers are - often - NOT going to give them the benefit of the doubt, but judge their entire personhood based on careless, thoughtless comments. Some won't, but others will. But neither the good OR the bad that we see on social media is the full picture of ANY person. And if we believe we can assess who someone is based on what they post online, we're lying to ourselves.

• Love 13
(edited)

For me, SA's real-feel comments are what (partly) makes me a fan.  There have been a number of times I have rolled my eyes and muttered "Oh Stephen" under my breath because of things he has posted.

He lets us see more of the real version of him, the good and the not so good, compared to most celebrities who I feel always consult a publicist before posting something.  I also feel like he needs that constant interaction with the fanbase to reassure himself that he is on the right path to becoming a "star."   I'm sure there is a ton of himself that he still shades his fans from, but that's okay - at the end of the day he is a real person with his own quirky characteristics.   

Edited by BumpSetSpike
  • Love 7

We never did get official confirmation that it was Miley Cyrus, right? Could have been Rakhi Sawant for all we know, and while that would still not be the best remark, it may be more understandable. *shrugs* And he did have the decency to not name the person he disliked. 

I remember that tweet. I personally didn't feel offended (and I am a practicing Catholic), because I interpreted it as something directed against a new law in Indiana that met enormous criticism on the part of the LGTB community. SA has always been a clear supporter of same sex marriage, LGTB rights etc. So I wasn't surprised about his comment. But yes, his choice of words was neither particularly funny nor decent.

However, in the past, SA posted other comments on his FB page that made me feel upset. I particularly remember a vacation pic with SA jumping into his private pool. The pic went with the question: "What do you see?" and somebody answered "A rich person." And the comments got some hundred likes. Then SA, on his part, wrote something to the regard that the poster was an "a**hole". (He used this particular word). Now, I get that SA didn't want the question of his personal wealth being raised and discussed in public - even less so on his own FB page. I would have been fine with him deleting that unwelcome comment. But his aggressive reaction was just too much IMO.

And in general, sometimes I think he lacks a certain kind of prudence when posting on his page, e.g. when he shows his living room with several (!) expensive TV sets, talks about his smart pone etc. He shows off his new found wealth in a way that can rub some people the wrong way. To give another example, he mentioned how he spontaneously bought a flight from NY to LA - "like it was a tube of toothpaste" - in order to visit his family. A friend of mine from India who shares my passion for Arrow saw the post and got a lump in his throat... some weeks ago his mother'd died in India and he didn't have the money to fly home and attend her funeral.

Thanks for posting this. This actually makes me like him more. I can't stand rich people who try to pretend they are not. He's been (presumably) not rich, for him to be excited about the change in his circumstances and the blessings he has received, is nice. I'd prefer that than to have him walk on egg shells around me, e.g. because I'm not as rich as he is. To see him enjoy his luck (and hard work) in life does not make me less because i don't have it. Otherwise I'd be reduced to ducking my head and wearing tattered clothes in case the beggars at the street corner felt bad. 

• Love 2

Which is why I said upthread that I think PR training for celebs in this position should look more like political PR than traditional media PR. They're playing to the idea that they have a lot in common with their audience, that the audience can get to know them. And the expectations change. 

• Love 1

I didn't like the sexual velociraptor thing, but it didn't make me dislike him.  I just don't feel like seeing comments like that on my FB feed.  Frankly, I don't really care anything about him as a person beyond how I care about any other stranger as a person.  I wish him as much happiness and success as I do an other stranger.  I only care about him on the show, which lately ain't much (not his fault, he's a perfectly good actor now, I just can't stand Oliver anymore).  

For me, SA's real-feel comments are what (partly) makes me a fan.  There have been a number of times I have rolled my eyes and muttered "Oh Stephen" under my breath because of things he has posted.

He lets us see more of the real version of him, the good and the not so good, compared to most celebrities who I feel always consult a publicist before posting something.  I also feel like he needs that constant interaction with the fanbase to reassure himself that he is on the right path to becoming a "star."   I'm sure there is a ton of himself that he still shades his fans from, but that's okay - at the end of the day he is a real person with his own quirky characteristics.   

I don't mind him posting idiotic stuff - we all do it. It's just the attitude behind some of his posts that disappoints me, I guess.  

(edited)

It's a common mistake even for native English speakers. In casual use (read, the internet) I don't think most people worry about it. 

Actually, I think native speakers are more prone to it. Or maybe it's just me, I'm not a native speaker and I do make grammatical mistakes from time to time, but never this one, it's weird.

My mistakes usually have to do with tenses (particularly perfect tenses) because my native language doesn't have them and despite being fluent in English to the point of having dreams in it once or twice, I'm still not quite used to them.

As for Stephen Amell - ugh, so gross. I don't give a damn about Miley Cyrus (never heard her music, think her stage clothes are tasteless, but it's not a big deal for me), but this is just unbelievable.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
(edited)
Paul Blackthorne @PaulBlackthorne  ·  7h 7 hours ago

Heading to #NYC for the @CW_network up fronts. Looking forward to seeing my #Arrow colleag… http://ift.tt/1H2VR0A 

https://twitter.com/paulblackthorne

caitylotz   2 hours ago

This is so me right now barley making my flight. But I'm on it! and in route to nyc for the #upfronts2015 yeeeeeehaa #ledgandsoftommorow

https://instagram.com/p/2oMVD8uGUe/

Katrina Law @Misskatrinalaw  ·  3h 3 hours ago

See you all tonight!!! @CW_Arrow @MzKatieCassidy @EmilyBett #wcw #arrow #nyssa #VeiledViewers #blackcanary #felicity

CE5Q0obUEAEhvYA.jpg

https://twitter.com/Misskatrinalaw

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Thank you! It took me some time, too, until I found the error... (I´m German.)

Kudos to you because your written English is a heck of a lot better than that of the average American.

• Love 2

I can't think of another entertainer other than George Clooney or Angela Jolie who is so consistent in promoting charities as Stephen Amell. This year he asked charities to let him know and he picked two, a charity that fights bullying in schools and one that rescues dogs and trains them to be service dogs for vets (doubly good).  He's always been unfailing positive and supportive of his fellow cast members, giving them credit over himself. He's also great responding to fans and making things special for them, from posting their fanart to supporting their fight against illness.  For that I can get beyond the occasional misogynistic comment.

I have a friend who works in PR, and they said that in their opinion, what she should've done really early on - I would think summer after season one - was to seem to ship Olicity. She knew the romantic focus was being switched to Olicity at the beginning of season two, because hello, she reads the scripts.

I don't think she does though, read the whole script that is.  She's made mistakes in interviews of what happened on the show to other characters.  And in terms of Laurel, she keeps repeating what it seems like she's been told about Laurel (Laurel is so strong, she cares so much about other people, Laurel and Oliver as soulmates), as opposed to other actors who extend in interviews what's been on the show.

Which makes it inexplicable why someone who cared about her didn't tell her after season 1 that she needs to get a p.r. person to work out with her what to say in interviews.

• Love 6

I wasn't really following him last year so I missed his "What do you see?" pool post, but I found it here. I don't see his "asshole" comment but maybe he deleted it? His post about "working 10 months out of the year" may be slightly tone deaf but 10 months is a lot for an actor when you consider the hours they work.

DBLEu4q.jpghEe6u6u.jpg

I actually think he generally comes across as pretty humble. His Vancouver condo has a spectacular view but it doesn't appear to be especially large or luxurious. In fact, I thought it endearing that he was so proud of his home office when it really isn't all that:

rMdlcpY.jpg

And is three TVs really that unusual? Most people I know have at least 2 - 3 in their homes. Heck, I even have three and I am FAR from being wealthy. His home in L.A. looks even less luxe than his condo and we know he didn't spend a fortune on that eyesore he bought in Palm Springs. In the LAX - Philly plane pic that KC recently shared, they were seated in first class but I've also seen pics of him crammed into a middle seat in coach. And I love how excited he is about his trailer when it really is quite spartan compared to others I've seen. That said, he does sometimes sport a Rolex Submariner and his wife totes around a Louis Vuitton bag.

Based on interviews, it sounds like he had a fairly affluent upbringing (boarding school, grandfather on the board of the Maple Leafs, growing up playing golf) so it's nice that he's turned out to be as down-to-earth as he is.

• Love 9
(edited)

He shows off his new found wealth in a way that can rub some people the wrong way. To give another example, he mentioned how he spontaneously bought a flight from NY to LA - "like it was a tube of toothpaste" - in order to visit his family. A friend of mine from India who shares my passion for Arrow saw the post and got a lump in his throat... some weeks ago his mother'd died in India and he didn't have the money to fly home and attend her funeral.

Very interesting how different people interpret things differently.  I found his comment about buying a ticket home like a tube of toothpaste rather touching since the context was he unexpectedly found himself with a couple free days and he desperately dashed home to see his family uncaring about the expense because he missed them so much.  I didn't read it as a star being super casual about his money rather a post about how family was so much more important than money. 

It does make a difference having it or not (money) but this year he traded his time off from Arrow to do a movie and his family couldn't be with him and his post to me spoke of his conflict/regret in not spending the time with his family. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 12
(edited)

I don't even know what "sexual velociraptor" is supposed to mean? Velocipraptors are extinct.

As to his posts about his life, IMO, that's just him being excited and sharing his life with his fans.  I also wonder if that it some of John Barrowman's influence, because he always talks about how much he appreciates his fans and shares parts of his life. 

I see no reason why someone should be pissed off at a hard working actor who makes a butt load of money tweeting a picture of his home or what have you. A lot of fanbases would love to know more about the actors they follow. 

Jensen Ackles swore off Twitter and FB until last year, when he finally gave in because the SPN fandom wanted him to connect with them more. He's a bit more humble than SA but he still shares stuff about their vacation travels and there are pictures he tweets of him and Jared on jetskis where they live in Austin with their familiies. I haven't detected much nastiness or resentment in the comments (not that I read them all). but more of "COOL! Thanks for letting us know you a bit more." Jared has gotten himself in hot water on Twitter when a couple of times but he survived it. I think Stephen is guilty of oversharing at times, but IMO he's trying to be open with his fans and still be himself.  Hard balance to maintain. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4

I can't think of another entertainer other than George Clooney or Angela Jolie who is so consistent in promoting charities as Stephen Amell. This year he asked charities to let him know and he picked two, a charity that fights bullying in schools and one that rescues dogs and trains them to be service dogs for vets (doubly good).  He's always been unfailing positive and supportive of his fellow cast members, giving them credit over himself. He's also great responding to fans and making things special for them, from posting their fanart to supporting their fight against illness.  For that I can get beyond the occasional misogynistic comment.

I mean 'he does a lot for charity' isn't a get out of jail free card for anything in my book. But I really don't see SA doing much more than anyone else on TV, or even in the Arrow cast.

It was just an offhand misogynist comment that bothered me, it was judging a women he doesn't know, and that he thought it okay to broadcast that to thousands of people. That only certain types of women deserve respect, and his daughter needs shielded from those who don't.

• Love 1

I mean 'he does a lot for charity' isn't a get out of jail free card for anything in my book. But I really don't see SA doing much more than anyone else on TV, or even in the Arrow cast.

I don't think it's a get out of jail free card.  But he's human, he makes mistakes and says things he later regrets (god knows I do) and overall I think the good he does far outweighs the bad.

Other actors on the show give interviews about charities they support (Charlotte Ross and EBR about animal rescue) and Paul Blackthorne started to sell T-shirts to help elephants based on what SA had done with F&ck Cancer, but no one else on the cast comes anywhere near actively raising a buttload of money for charity or promoting the causes the way SA has.

• Love 4

I don't mind the posts about his vacations or whatever he spends his money on. He's successful and he has the means, that's nothing to be ashamed of. It's nice to have disposable income. He's having fun with his life, it's okay to share, and I'm sure there are more people who appreciate him taking pics of his 3 TV set up (my dad has one and it's nauseating to watch, haha) than who care about the fact that he actually has a 3 TV setup. 

Not sure why he feels so defensive that he needs to comment on people's comments, but whatever. 

I just wish he'd stop with some of the female social commentary.

• Love 3

It was just an offhand misogynist comment that bothered me, it was judging a women he doesn't know, and that he thought it okay to broadcast that to thousands of people. That only certain types of women deserve respect, and his daughter needs shielded from those who don't.

I think everyone has a false sense of security/invincibility using social media.  The fact that someone has a million followers can sometimes give the impression that whatever they say or do will be supported at all times by all "followers", so that can go to one's head and lead to comments/statements/interactions which might otherwise have been given a bit more thought before posting.  If you've got a massive audience (real or virtual), that can be heady and lead to one "playing to the crowd" or trying to give them what you think they want to see or hear. I do admire Stephen for all his charity work and wonderful things he does for sick fans, etc.  He is far more accessible than most celebrities and he seems to genuinely enjoy it, but at the end of the day, he's just a man who does good things and stupid or insensitive things just like the rest of us.  One doesn't cancel out or excuse the other.

• Love 6

A lot of people think Miley is nasty because she was Hannah Montana and now she humps fingers and licks giant dolls and hammers. She's also really really loud and does her thing with no care that she can come off like a Cat on a chalkboard. Miley disgusts me sometimes but at the same time I adore her. She is herself and you can't judge her for not being the same as she was as a child performer.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for all the comments that helped me reconsider what I'd written earlier on in this thread.

Regarding the pool pic: I still seem to remember him using "a**hole" in the context of this post, but I can't find it either, so either he deleted it, or my memory is simply failing me. (Wouldn't be the first time.)

Regarding SA's post on his birthday trip: I can see your point. I guess, if he'd just mentioned that he spent some time in LA with his family, his post would not have caught my attention. It could very well be that the combination of his "toothpaste" remark together with my experience of my friend's own inability to go home when there was good reason to made me take SA's comment the wrong way. Never mind!

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 1