Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Maybe SA's been talking to the Kansas City Con folks trying to see how he can re-jig his schedule and that's what's been taking so long. Either way, it's very sweet of him, and it makes me want to support him in the future. 

• Love 5

I'd associate abstract works or something eminently modern and shiny, not stuffy or gloomy (or grope heavy - what was with that painting?)

I don't know anything about that painting (to my shame) but the groping or nipple pinching was actually a common trope in old paintings.  With no photographs, paintings were often sent to prospective husbands in arranged marriages and the groping was considered an indication of fertility of the woman.

But I agree, I'd associate Ray Palmer with more modern paintings, a Rothko perhaps, then the heave Dutch masters.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know anything about that painting (to my shame) but the groping or nipple pinching was actually a common trope in old paintings.  With no photographs, paintings were often sent to prospective husbands in arranged marriages and the groping was considered an indication of fertility of the woman.

But I agree, I'd associate Ray Palmer with more modern paintings, a Rothko perhaps, then the heave Dutch masters.

I only took a couple art history courses and yes at times portraits of prospective brides were made but symbolism of fertility and other qualities were I had been led to believe a lot more subtle.  (Like a dog in the picture indicating faithfulness or a bird representing sex)  Most portraits though came after a couple was married (a lot of single women were lucky if they appeared in a family portrait) and the only groping ones I'd been exposed to involved mythical people or prostitutes and mistresses (there is a famous nipple pinching one of Henry the IV mistress) so the fully clothed grope that Palmer had on his wall was new to me.  I tried tracking it down but if it was a Vemeer, I couldn't find it. 

Edited by BkWurm1

This is what the suit reminds me of:

9171_311_GLF0JppC_GUCeteemJUlTG8ni.jpg

I'm not sure why people think it's a knock on KC/Laurel that there is no spin-off with her character. Personally, I think even if KC/Laurel was playing the most popular character on the show, they probably still wouldn't spin her off because they want Laurel/Black Canary to be on Arrow throughout the show's entire run.

I don't see how KC/Laurel could anchor a spin-off.  Male viewers aren't likely to tune in to a superhero show with a woman lead unless it's as well made and acted as Agent Carter. But I also don't see how she'll fit into to Arrow in the coming seasons and right now, she's like a sore thumb most of the scenes when she's in the Arrow cave.

• Love 3

I'm not sure if this belongs in the bitterness thread or not, but I'm not thrilled that apparently the new preferred way to generate buzz for the show is by inducing mass panic and confusion via social media. First MG with his tumblr, and now the actors.

• Love 7
(edited)

I giggle thinking Captain Kirk likes the same characters I do.

I know!  It's surreal and cool and weird all at the same time.  It was one thing when I just knew he watched Arrow but he's also watching The 100 and for some reason that just shook me.  Such a dark show to be centered around kids under 18.   

Edited by BkWurm1

I know!  It's surreal and cool and weird all at the same time.  It was one thing when I just knew he watched Arrow but he's also watching The 100 and for some reason that just shook me.  Such a dark show to be centered around kids under 18.   

He also tried out The Originals. I don't know if he still watches it.

I feel like the CW needs to pay William Shatner at this point.

• Love 5
(edited)

Celina Jade ‏@celinajade

I love you Felicity I mean @EmilyBett rewatching Season 3 "there's nothing platonic about couture" cutest scene ever
西貢, 香港

Edited by Morena
  • Love 1

I've seen some of Shatner's tweets about OUaT, and I don't agree with a lot of them, but Emma Swan is currently my favorite television heroine, so any comparison with Felicity Smoak, who I also adore, is great in my book. Now I want a fanfic of pre-Storybrooke Emma running into pre-series Felicity. For reasons. 

• Love 1

So Arrow Prod office posted these photos yesterday

Our production office got a makeover! #StarlingCity #Arrow

B_Mw16NUwAI5DeO.jpg

Whenever @ColtonLHaynes stops by the office, we find new and interesting ways to show him we care. #arrow #royharper

B_OZKHKWkAAQQpt.jpg

Real art is generally owned by people who probably wouldn't trust TV people enough to lend it to them. So when you see art on TV (movies too for the most part) it is generally stuff of either a fictional artist or else made up to look like so-and-so without actually being close enough to get them in trouble.

(edited)

So MG will now also be working with Bryan Singer on a new movie (the additional projects being undertaken by the Arrow EPs is really piling up)...

Bryan Singer Tackling Sci-Fi Classic 'The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress' for Fox (Exclusive)
"Arrow" exec producer Marc Guggenheim will adapt the novel written by sci-fi author Robert A. Heinlein.

3:00 PM PST 3/3/2015 by Borys Kit, Rebecca Ford
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bryan-singer-tackling-sci-fi-778949?utm_source=twitter

Bryan Singer is tackling an adaptation of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, based on the classic sci-fi book by Robert A. Heinlein. Twentieth Century Fox recently picked up the movie rights. 

Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim will adapt the book for the project, which will be titled Uprising....

Edited by tv echo

Have they ever done that before, have someone live tweeting three weeks before the episode airs?  Smells like desperation in the air.

It kind of does, but I don't understand it. Ratings are steady. Is it because there have been more negative reviews? What's motivating this?

• Love 3
(edited)

Non-spoilery responses by MG at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

quebecolicityfan asked:
Hi Mark, first I'm a big fan of your show and your book. I have a question in my mind for a long time. In Ep 3x02, the villain's name is Simon Lacroix, Ste-Sophie, Quebec. I was so surprised to hear a real French name in a small town close to me from an imaginary world as Arrow. Do you have someone on your team knowing or coming from Quebec or if you have chosen this name and city randomly? Thanks

Lacroix is based on an existing DC Comics character.

lawrrence asked:
Do you remember the times when Oliver was madly in love with Dinah Laurel Lance? Because I remember. Good times.

They were good times.

splitsunshine asked:
Are you guys ever planning on doing something with the fact that, back in season 1, Felicity's name was in Tommy's phone under recent texts? Did you have something planned, but then dropped it or was that simply an easter egg type of thing?

Gosh, that was so long ago, I don’t remember.  It was probably the vestige of a deleted scene.
Oh, and Felicity was totally banging Tommy without anyone knowing it.

ogteamarrow asked:
Is there any chance we can get some fun injected back into the Arrow cave? Ever since Oliver's came back and Laurel started hanging around everything's been kinda...tense and cold and uncomfortable. I kinda miss the fun Oliver, Digg, Felicity etc used to have down there when danger wasn't lurking. And shirtless Oliver and Diggle ;)

It’s an uncomfortable situation….

Edited by tv echo

Have they ever done that before, have someone live tweeting three weeks before the episode airs?  Smells like desperation in the air.

Suzanne Gomez was the same one who watched the Laurel trilogy and tweeted about the how the writers "touched on every part of a superhero's journey."  She also thought that BR was killing it and KC was owning her role.  Basically, I'm gonna ignore everything that she says!

• Love 13
(edited)

Thank you, David Ramsey, for not putting an ominous caption on the photo.

::sigh:: I miss Team Arrow. And they're all even more gorgeous when they smile. Why won't the show let them smile more often?!

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 10
(edited)

Talk about loaded questions (non-spoilery)...

notthehawkgirl asked:
Do you just have such a disgust for the source material that you refuse to put together Oliver Queen and Laurel Lance?

This is the best question ever. 
No, I have nothing but love and respect for the source material.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo

I miss the team interactions so that photo put a smile on my face. That's wonderful timing by David Ramsey! They're a good lookin' bunch. But I wonder if this was posted as a 'last picture with all of us together' sort of thing? Hmm

Also I'm glad that the Arrow crew are reusing clothes for Felicity (she's wearing the same skirt from Time of Death), IDK I just like it when shows reuse clothes... It just makes it realistic :p I'm weird, I know. 

• Love 7
(edited)
notthehawkgirl asked:

Do you just have such a disgust for the source material that you refuse to put together Oliver Queen and Laurel Lance?

This is the best question ever.

No, I have nothing but love and respect for the source material.

From that response it looks no matter what anyone thinks, MG is not ready to give up on Oliver and Laurel because comics. However anyone that reads comics knows that GA and BC are one of the worst of the Super Hero couples. There is no epic love story in cheating and lying, which is also how they build Arrow's Oliver and Laurel. Because comics seems to be their go to when they don't feel like writing an actual story. MG is for some reason obsessed with the Laurel character, I could see him trying to force Oliver/Laurel again before the end of the shows run. 

You'd think as a writer if you make an original character that is received well in a popular, long running medium would make you happier. Both times I've seen that they treat their original character like crap Chloe on Smallville and now Sara, because comics. Even Olicity is something they should be proud of. I don't get it. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6

I don't think it means anything other than he has love and respect for the source material. There's not really a way he could have answered that question without pissing people off - even putting a "but we're writing our own show" would've caused some blowback (besides, he's said as much in previous answers). Yeah, O/L part whatever is always going to be out there on the periphery as long as the show is on the air and both actors are still on it, but I can't even bring myself to worry about it without actual proof on the show that they're moving back in that direction, and thankfully there hasn't been any yet.

• Love 5

Honestly, I don't understand fans of comic book Black Canary who aren't disgusted by the source material. You like stories where your fave is lied to and cheated on over and over, in a relationship that only benefited the dude? Okay then.

• Love 6
(edited)

That was a no-win question (due to its phrasing).  It's the loaded questions fallacy (a question with a false or questionable presupposition, and it is "loaded" with that presumption - example: "Have you stopped beating your wife?").

Incidentally, Oliver and Laurel have already been put together on the show... and then they split up - just like in the comics. Granted, they didn't get married on the show - but then Laurel isn't a master martial artist on the show either.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9
(edited)

Honestly, I don't understand fans of comic book Black Canary who aren't disgusted by the source material. You like stories where your fave is lied to and cheated on over and over, in a relationship that only benefited the dude? Okay then.

What makes you think that's actually a comic book fan/reader?  Most of the O/L OTP and Comic Canon arguments that I've encountered come from people who've never read the "source material"

Back to your original point, based on my experiences, Dinah/BoP fans dislike Dinah/Oliver in the comics, while Oliver/Green Arrow fans are partial to it...no surprise to me.  Also, male readers are more in favor of GA/BC than female (this was based on a comics forum poll I came across back in 2011).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9
(edited)

Did we get anything showing us that Oliver and Sara were going to hook up? Did we get anything showing us that Slade was so in love with Shado that he would concocted his entire revenge plan on Oliver because of her?  I don't consider them showing us something as a prerequisite with these writers. 

Edited by Sakura12

I think I'm in the minority, but I thought the Sara/Oliver relationship was foreshadowed from the time she came back to Starling (not necessarily the lunge, but I figured they'd get together at some point). And since Slade/Shado were never a thing, I think that's different.

Still, I'm personally not that worried about it -it's a problem I might never have, so I'm not going to get spooked. And if they do go back to O/L, then I'll stop watching. At this point, having something like that kill my curiosity/investment would be welcome.

• Love 4

Yeah, I thought the Oliver/Sara hook-up was pretty much a sure thing just because they had been together before and Oliver wasn't involved with any other woman.

But I think MG takes pride in having things come out of left field so I don't expect anything to be foreshadowed.

• Love 3

I only had a feeling they could go with Sara/Oliver in the lunge's episode itself, when Oliver was bitching she had a habit of disappearing on him and hammering a giant tire in the Foundry. I thought they were settling for friendship when she appeared before that.

Slade started showing jealousy in the Season 2 premiere, so I kinda saw it coming (although I wasn't expecting he'd go in full blown revenge-mode).

• Love 6
(edited)

The Arrow writers have shown a tendency to lightswitch/retcon relationships out of the blue, so as far as I am concerned nothing can get ruled out in future seasons. For example, they could always follow the Smallville formula and use Oliver/Felicity as their main narrative ship because of the buzz it creates and then switch gears to the canon couple in the final season(s)/episodes of the show.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 1

It's not like any of the showrunners will ever admit to a couple being endgame anyway because there are way too many variables at play with actor contracts, ratings, creative stalemates, etc. Also, they want to keep the audience watching and so they'll never spoil the ending.

• Love 4