Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

27 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I think Rappaport's comment about how much his father liked her came from his discussion of casting her for gossip girl.

Ah! Ok.  But I'm still pretty sure he cast her for Laurel, based on his comments about when they were doing casting for the show it was being visualized more as a Vampire Diaries type trio.

(edited)

I think it was supposed to be a Vampire Diaries-type show with the Oliver/Laurel/Tommy triangle.  But I also think that the CW offered the role of Laurel to KC rather than having Rappaport cast her in the role.  Hence the lack of chemistry test with SA.  He was their Oliver as soon as they saw his screen test, she was their pre-determined Laurel.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

They counted him. The number jumped by 2 in that scene.

Gosh darnit. That moment when Moira tells Oliver she knows...STILL gives me chills and brings tears to me eyes.  Sigh. I miss Moira so much.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Gosh darnit. That moment when Moira tells Oliver she knows...STILL gives me chills and brings tears to me eyes.  Sigh. I miss Moira so much.

I think killing her, and Sara for that matter, was one of the biggest mistakes the show made.  Her death was very moving tho, dying for her children etc.

• Love 12

he included her last year if I remember correctly. And DP had a hand in casting her for GG but I think the network gave her the role of LL but I am sure he still gets the credit for bringing her in the first place.

(edited)

I don't know the woman but since she said she never watches the show, that's moving into "request a psych eval" territory.  Or is she just desperate for people to pay attention to her?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 12
(edited)

Poor Gail clearly has nothing else going on in her life and no one to give her any attention. She has my sympathy.

Edited by Guest
13 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Her comic sold a whopping 4.7k copies last month. She needs to get the comics crowd interest one way or another.

I was just going to say that.  Obviously there's something she's trying to sell because that tweet that came completely out of the blue screamed attention whore.

• Love 1

I just don't get her desire to get promotion by taking potshots at Arrow or Olicity. Grow up and find a healthier way to get promotion for your things. I've always preferred people who promote their product by saying how good it is, as opposed to tearing down other things. It's just bizarre to me her fascination with a show she doesn't follow. Perhaps if she talked more about what she does, people might be interested in actually reading it. All I really know about her is that she doesn't like Olicity or Arrow. Without you guys I wouldn't even know she has a legit comic profession, I would think she was just your typical disgruntle fan.

• Love 14
(edited)
3 minutes ago, kismet said:

I just don't get her desire to get promotion by taking potshots at Arrow or Olicity. Grow up and find a healthier way to get promotion for your things. I've always preferred people who promote their product by saying how good it is, as opposed to tearing down other things. It's just bizarre to me her fascination with a show she doesn't follow. Perhaps if she talked more about what she does, people might be interested in actually reading it. All I really know about her is that she doesn't like Olicity or Arrow. Without you guys I wouldn't even know she has a legit comic profession, I would think she was just your typical disgruntle fan.

It's simple.  Her core audience are comics readers.  Comic readers generally are all about the canon.  Olicity is not canon therefore they think she's cool because she trashes it.  She doesn't have to watch the show but she knows that she can laugh at the expense of non-comic book fans so long as her audience (i.e. comic fans) thinks its funny.  Why people still engage with her is the real mystery here.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

I was just going to say that.  Obviously there's something she's trying to sell because that tweet that came completely out of the blue screamed attention whore.

"Hello, my comics reading friends! Remember me? I hate Olicity just like you do! Now please shop my Insta buy my comic!"

• Love 18

The situation with Gail makes me sad because Birds of Prey was one of the few comics I sought out and I really loved it.  Plus, in the past she's said smart things  about feminism and writing-the fact that she coined the term "women in refrigerators" has been a contribution to culture and how we think about narrative.  She presents the Olicity trashing as something she does for the lulz, but there's a hint of real resentment that bleeds through.

Also, I don't think she realizes that she is baiting a fandom that is social media ninjas.  After the first six months of her trolling the fandom stopped engaging with her, worked with screenshots instead of links, and stopped using her name in twitter posts. 

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

It's simple.  Her core audience are comics readers.  Comic readers generally are all about the canon.  Olicity is not canon therefore they think she's cool because she trashes it.  She doesn't have to watch the show but she knows that she can laugh at the expense of non-comic book fans so long as her audience (i.e. comic fans) thinks its funny.  Why people still engage with her is the real mystery here.

That explains the logic. Her behavior and her posts are very logical. I understood why she does it. I just don't understand her desire to do it. Then again, I'm not someone that thrives on negativity or putting people down to feel better about yourself. So I will probably always have ideological differences than her. I just think she is catering to the lowest denominator and that makes me sad for her.

And as many of the comic fans here have pointed out comic canon is always changing, so maybe there will be a time when the canon doesn't match what she is selling.

24 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

She presents the Olicity trashing as something she does for the lulz, but there's a hint of real resentment that bleeds through.

Yeah, that's how I read it.  Maybe because Olicity has become so well-known even to those who don't read comics while her comics aren't doing so well now.

It's a shame though.  She coined "fridging" which is not only a terrific descriptor of male-focused writing but a sharp social commentary that should be better known.

• Love 5

Well at least the script will raise $$ for something (hopefully a worthy charity), that at least gives it some importance in the grand scheme of things. Gosh knows the afterschool messages weren't worth much as an actual TV show.

18 minutes ago, EmilyBettFan said:

So this is funny I know people were saying that they were doing this for promo and why not? Even them on their off time at a gym gets more coverage than some other things!

I think its a combination of them probably having a free membership for promo type deal with the gym, Stephen and Emily both enjoying working out together and some one from E! Seeing it get traction online and deciding it would make a cool segememt.

(I mean it coukd have been the CW pr giving E a heads up about the video but I wouldnt be surprised if E people just saw it online themselves)

But yeah they and by extension Olicity get more promo naturally then aything the producers or network forced and thats why the writers/network wont ever fully retire Olicity, cause they are an actual commodity to the show.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 4

Hey all, just to let you know that social media posts about Stephen's American Ninja Warrior appearance, especially ones that talk about the outcome, are considered spoilers until the episode for that show airs and need to be tagged as such.

• Love 1

Re: Celebrity Ninja Warrior, looks like it was filmed as a Red Nose Day special so we should see it on 5/25 (I've been seeing 3/24 on twitter, but that's Red Nose Day UK).  The 5/25 date also conveniently falls right around when the premiere of ANW Season 9 should air.

Spoiler

Congrats to Stephen for completing the course, that's awesome!  Can't wait to see it.

That was a sweet message regarding TVD, but I have to admit, I have no recollection of the character he played.  I wonder if it was in a period when I was only half paying attention (which was far too often).  Nice that he gave them a shoutout for the end of their run, though.

Pretty cool of Amell to write about TVD. The show has been a hot mess for at least four seasons, but those first three or four years deserve praise. They really knew how to pull off a twist and I can't think of another villain on the CW who was half as fun as Katherine Pierce.

• Love 5

The ladies is kinda a weird gif to use for a birthday. I think the humor is just off and not in a funny way. But SA can be off & questionable on social media from time to time.

On another note, some posts here like the posts above that include

Spoiler

hair pulling and sex scene can be

distracting for people who don't want spoilers. I know there was a recent post made in relationships thread about similar suggestive posts. And I know how hard it can be to remember what is common knowledge and what is speculation or spoiler. I'm cool with it, but other people may not like it, perhaps just spoiler tag it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kismet said:

The ladies is kinda a weird gif to use for a birthday. I think the humor is just off and not in a funny way. But SA can be off & questionable on social media from time to time.

I found it hilarious because JB is really uninhibited and shameless like that as a person. 

I thought it was an appropriate gif for JB. Anyone else it would've been strange, but for JB it's perfect. But I'm sure Stephen would know JB well enough to know what's crossing the line and what isn't more than any of us on this board (yes, even the people who've been following him since his DW days).

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 10
26 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I found it hilarious because JB is really uninhibited and shameless like that as a person. 

I thought it was an appropriate gif for JB. Anyone else it would've been strange, but for JB it's perfect. But I'm sure Stephen would know JB well enough to know what's crossing the line and what isn't more than any of us on this board (yes, even the people who've been following him since his DW days).

Never said he crossed any lines, no need to defend SA. I just thought it was off. I only know JB from Arrow and as a happily married gay man. So while I think he's loud & boisterous from clips I've seen. The ladies comment seemed off & questionable to me from a humor perspective - I get it's shameless it's just odd out of context. It's just my opinion, I would have liked a more humorous JB clip or perhaps one a little more personal from their actual friendship.

I mean.... That's what phone call and text messages are for right? For the more heartfelt and personal messages. 

I really don't get being so hard on an innocuous tweet that was about 2 words and contained a gif that was rather appropriate. It might have been out of context for people who don't know what's going on in the gif but it likely wasn't for JB. I mean in the end that tweet was for him to understand more than anyone else. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4

Well I don't think saying something is off or questionable is being hard on a tweet or the sender. I was simply responding to it from an honest place. It was barely even an opinion. I've have seen far harsher criticisms just about everywhere on just about anything, but YMMV. You got the joke, so it made sense to you. I didn't and reacted to that. And I've already spent far more time talking about something completely innocuous that I really don't care much about. I just don't appreciate being called out for being hard on SA, when I what I said barely registers as anything.

But I'm coming to think that this forum may not be a place where opinions or thoughts are allowed unless they prescribe to a certain ideology. I will agree the tweet was just fine and hilarious to those who got the inside joke. And I'm out.

• Love 9