Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

My theory is that Laurel failed as a character completely in S1, not just as Oliver's Love Interest, but also as a proto/pre-destined superhero. And that was the writers' fault, it's their incompetence in writing Laurel as someone who could become a superhero. She wasn't training in martial arts, she wasn't getting fed up with the legal system as a jumpstart to her journey, they did absolutely ZERO in giving her starting points towards becoming BC. Thus subbing her with Sara in the role.

What I'll never be able to understand is why they successfully made a different BC, and then went back on it by getting rid of Sara, and then giving Laurel EVERY SINGLE SUPERHERO-RELATED THING Sara had. That part reeks to me as BTS shenanigans and contract stipulations, because in text, it makes no sense.

Or else everyone in the producing team is drinking the "Laurel MUST take her ~rightful place as Black Canary because her name matches the one in the comic books." kool aid. KC sure is drinking it now that it's fait accompli. Her answers about the topic sound like she believes this was her manifest destiny.

I'm just glad she's called Laurel and not Dinah on the show, because that makes me able to separate the narrative aberration of Laurel becoming BC from my beloved Birds of Prey books.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 19

I think they went the route they did with Sara because of Caity Lotz's skills and abilities and martial arts training she had before getting the role.  If the actress who played Sara in the pilot had been available, we may have never seen "Canary" before Laurel's BC. It's likely CL showed up for the audition, and she already had the training and abilities, so why waste it? It just came back to bite them in the ass and ended up diminishing the presumably "promised" BC mantle (to KC) because Canary was believable, capable, and popular - so much so that they literally had to kill the character to get Laurel there.  If Laurel was to be BC from the beginning, I can't help but wonder why they seemed to ignore that fact for pretty much two seasons, only that I think sometimes these showrunners let their inner fanboy run away with them and they get off track with whatever the latest Cool!Thing! they discover/create.

• Love 1
(edited)

John Barrowman talks about Arrow Season Four at a recent con:

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/21/john-barrowman-just-finalized-his-deal-to-return-for-arrow-seaso/

"We start filming in July, Season Four -- I just finalized my deal about a week ago," Barrowman told an audience at Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con this weekend. "I'm very excited about going back, I can't tell you anything because I do know a bit about what's going to happen. But if you love Malcolm Merlyn, if you love Oliver Queen, if you love Thea Queen, if you love the Canary sisters, and I say that with a bit of a twist and a joke in it, you're going to love what's going to happen across the DC world."

Edited by DrSpaceman10

I think they went the route they did with Sara because of Caity Lotz's skills and abilities and martial arts training she had before getting the role.  If the actress who played Sara in the pilot had been available, we may have never seen "Canary" before Laurel's BC. It's likely CL showed up for the audition, and she already had the training and abilities, so why waste it? It just came back to bite them in the ass and ended up diminishing the presumably "promised" BC mantle (to KC) because Canary was believable, capable, and popular - so much so that they literally had to kill the character to get Laurel there.  If Laurel was to be BC from the beginning, I can't help but wonder why they seemed to ignore that fact for pretty much two seasons, only that I think sometimes these showrunners let their inner fanboy run away with them and they get off track with whatever the latest Cool!Thing! they discover/create.

considering they already filmed the Canary entrance scene in 301 before CL was signed I doubt it

Well those will be the people JB Will deal with. Sara's coming back and he is who Killed her (using Thea as a weapon). So Oliver, Thea and Sara will be Malcolm's story at least 4a.

The fact that JB just finalized his deal and he says across the DC world makes me think he might have some of his story on LOT.

• Love 1

Well those will be the people JB Will deal with. Sara's coming back and he is who Killed her (using Thea as a weapon). So Oliver, Thea and Sara will be Malcolm's story at least 4a.

The fact that JB just finalized his deal and he says across the DC world makes me think he might have some of his story on LOT.

Malcolm still makes sense to me as a floater between shows.  And now that he's Ra's al Merlyn he has more reason to show up in Starling and Central City at times and would be an enemy for the LoT not just Oliver.

• Love 1

I don't understand what you're saying... CL wasn't signed for the entire time she worked in S2 then?

The Canary that appears in 201 was the stunt woman (Atlain?) not CL. CL was signed and announced right before SDCC 2013, after they started filming 201. Her first appearance as Canary was in 203.

The idea of Sara as Canary was supposedly tossed around when AJK/MG/GB worked on the pilot. They definitely decided on Sara coming back and being Canary in May/June as that's when they released the character description for Lisa (code name for Sara). CL was hired to play Sara/Canary, they didn't make Sara, Canary because they hired CL.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Canary that appears in 201 was the stunt woman (Atlain?) not CL. CL was signed and announced right before SDCC 2013, after they started filming 201. Her first appearance as Canary was in 203.

The idea of Sara as Canary was supposedly tossed around when AJK/MG/GB worked on the pilot. They definitely decided on Sara coming back and being Canary in May/June as that's when they released the character description for Lisa (code name for Sara). CL was hired to play Sara/Canary, they didn't make Sara, Canary because they hired CL.

Thanks for clarifying. Your mention of 301 in the original post was what confused me. I wasn't claiming it as gospel, it was just my thoughts. I just meant maybe the role was expanded on because of her abilities vs. an untrained fighter/actress. I don't follow the BTS machinations, so thanks for all that backstory.

Edited by catahoulamama
(edited)

Since I really have no idea how they work BTS, I am just wondering how it is possible that JB is just now finalizing his deal. Have they been planing with him in mind or was it just a money or time issue and they knew he'd return regardless? Basically he has a one year contract and if he had decided not to return would they have had a Plan B. If they plan so far in advance how can they not have him locked down before now? And uughh at the Canary sister....Not again. This is seriously the only thing that I truly never did care about. 

Edited by Belinea

Thanks for clarifying. Your mention of 301 in the original post was what confused me. I wasn't claiming it as gospel, it was just my thoughts. I just meant maybe the role was expanded on because of her abilities vs. an untrained fighter/actress. I don't follow the BTS machinations, so thanks for all that backstory.

Opps, didn't even realize I said 301 instead of 201.

So if he is just now finalizing his deal....does that mean his series regular role for season three was just for one year? If so, I wonder what that means for season four? Is he still a regular, or is it just for a specified number of episodes?

John Barrowman talks about Arrow Season Four at a recent con:

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/21/john-barrowman-just-finalized-his-deal-to-return-for-arrow-seaso/

It does make sense that Barrowman would mention those characters because of their connection to his story, but UGH, NO! I'm really not interested in the Canary sisters. I really enjoy Barrowman but I can't stand Malcolm Merlyn (except when Felicity and Diggle are snarking/sniping at him). And anything that would give more screen time to Laurel just makes me shudder.

Taking the rest of my fears to the appropriate thread ...

• Love 7

That leaves me very uninterested. Thea and Oliver? Sure. Malcolm and Lance sisters...*sigh*

It pains me because I enjoy JB and I'd be happy to see Sara again on Arrow where she belongs imo, before she leaves for the Spinoff That Shall Not Be Named, but I agree.

Maybe they can "redeem" Malcolm, and here I mean in terms of characterization (LOL, how many rolled their eyes at that verb?) by recapturing who he was in S1 and have worthy, well-rounded opponents (Walter, just throwing a name at random here, *whistles*).

But the Canary sisters...with my luck, they're going to do some sister swapping again. With Ray. While Diggle "copies that" in the background. Argh.

I need the PR to use the magic words: "Diggle" (preferably followed by: is in charge) "Diggle and Felicity" (preferably followed by: have their own storylines) "Original Team Arrow" (preferably followed by: is our theme for S4) in every damn interview and around every social media.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah I can't see Diggle/Felicity as well as Malcolm/Canary sisters getting their own storylines without having the season be so disjointed and full. nope. The Canary sisters individually have had enough focus on this show. I don't want Diggle or Felicity's individual arcs get the shaft because the show runners have a hard on for the Canary sisters. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 11

I can take JB talking about Oliver and Thea Queen because that's Malcolm's family.  I hope he only talked about the Canary sisters because Malcolm is going to be involved with bringing Sara back to life.

I'd rather see Diggle and Felicity, along with Nyssa, throwing shade at Malcolm than anything else though.

Malcolm still makes sense to me as a floater between shows.  And now that. he's Ra's al Merlyn he has more reason to show up in Starling and Central City at times and would be an enemy for the LoT not just Oliver.

After a season that got messed up partly to create the mess that was the Ra's plot, I hope they just drop the whole LoA for next season. Give me a break, and maybe I'll be up for it in s5 again.

• Love 2

Yeah I can't see Diggle/Felicity as well as Malcolm/Canary sisters getting their own storylines without having the season be so disjointed and full. nope. The Canary sisters individually have had enough focus on this show. I don't want Diggle or Felicity's individual arcs get the shaft because the show runners have a hard on for the Canary sisters. 

Taking to Hopes and Fears

• Love 1
(edited)

KC talks about filming the Canary Cry at Sacramento Comic Con this past weekend...
Published on Jun 21, 2015

MB describes his Arrow audition at Sacramento  Comic Con this past weekend...

JB answers one of many questions asked at Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con...
Published on Jun 20, 2015

KL instagram video taken at Smallville Comicon...

Katrina Law ‏@Misskatrinalaw  14h14 hours ago

Some Jabbas are just so rude!!! #smallvillecomiccon https://instagram.com/p/4NXaBchswo/

https://instagram.com/p/4NXaBchswo/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

According to MG's twitter answer, looks like the DVD commentaries will be his and Wendy Mericle's.  Not all that interested in his as he manages to give his commentary every week during the season before the episode airs - that's enough of "The World According to Marc" for me.

• Love 9

LOL. There was no way I was buying S3 on DVD. I bought a couple of episodes that I enjoyed on iTunes but I'll never invest in the DVD. That season was not great at all. I maybe could have been persuaded if SA, EBR, DR and WH had done some commentary but that was never gonna happen. Oh well. They clearly don't like my money. 

• Love 8

LOL. There was no way I was buying S3 on DVD. I bought a couple of episodes that I enjoyed on iTunes but I'll never invest in the DVD. That season was not great at all. I maybe could have been persuaded if SA, EBR, DR and WH had done some commentary but that was never gonna happen. Oh well. They clearly don't like my money.

So disappointed that we get commentaries and it isn't from SA DR EBR and WH

• Love 1
(edited)

I was on the fence about buying the DVDs. Definitely NOT anymore.

I'd agree, but I wasn't even ever on the fence ;)

Edit: Quentin should be smiling all the time. Maybe Donna can achieve that. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Happy Harpy
(edited)

I hope SA really quits this MLB voting thing very soon.  I have truly become annoyed with how MUCH he posts about it.  No, I'm not a Royals fan by any means but I am a baseball fan. This is more about SA's ego and his "ability" to get this change made than anything else.  Had he been a friend of this guy or even met the guy before, that would be different.  Two wrongs doesn't make a right... it just proves that the system can be manipulated by a single celebrity person if he feels like it.

The final straw was that boring 20-question Q&A that had hardly had anything in it - one little spoiler line about Speedy and that was about it. "Vote 35 times and I will do a Q&A" he said...what a waste of 20 minutes.  I didn't need to know spoilers or things like that, but it would have been nice to learn more about him, his time on the Turtles set (differences in filming styles or whatever, not spoilers, etc).  But it was just fluff.

I actually unfollowed him on Facebook today.  As much of a fan that I have been, I just am getting more and more annoyed by this.

Edited by BumpSetSpike
  • Love 6

This is more about SA's ego and his "ability" to get this change made than anything else.  

Ain't that the truth. I wouldn't be surprised if one of his friends bet him he couldn't do this and he's out to prove them wrong.

• Love 1

I don't think it's a coincidence that he's trying to get the Blue Jays attention right after repeated attempts to sing the Canadian anthem at a ball game.

I'm still more amused than annoyed by his antics, but I'm kind of on board with anything that'll take the piss out of the Royals fans.

• Love 4

I'm totally voting for Donaldson because the Royals fanbase went bonkers with the voting. But I also think he sincerely thinks Donaldson deserves to be in it. Nothing wrong with that.

• Love 3

I think he's sincere in his desire to get the guy in, but I also think that getting an in with the Blue Jays and seeing that he can actually rally enough people to vote just because he asks them to is a bit of a driver too.

• Love 4

I don't think it's a coincidence that he's trying to get the Blue Jays attention right after repeated attempts to sing the Canadian anthem at a ball game.

I'm still more amused than annoyed by his antics, but I'm kind of on board with anything that'll take the piss out of the Royals fans.

I'm turned off and/or annoyed by alot of what he says/posts on social media (twitter mostly), but while I agree part of this Jays thing with the ASG voting is an ego thing, I hope he's successful at it.  It's utterly absurd that the bulk of the All Star starting lineup are Royals when more productive players aren't anywhere near them. I'm a Red Sox fan and they're pretty much officially TERRIBLE this year and the Sox handed the Royals a serious beating this weekend. When a team who's 10 games UNDER .500 (equal number of wins & losses) is making the majority of the league's "All Stars" look like a JV team, something's very wrong with the system. It should be the top/most productive players who get the honor and not a popularity contest. I hope SA is successful because Donaldson IS worthy, but also it'll likely mean a revamp of the voting system in the future...hopefully for the better.

• Love 4

The problem with All-Star voting is going it online now.  It's too easy for me to just send a link to my friends that don't even watch baseball and say hey vote for X player because I'm asking you too and they will.  So ballot stuffing is easy peasy. 

This all star thing is so confusing for me... if it's an all star team, why aren't the players chosen from the top x number of players in the league, or the top player or two from each team?

Why aren't actual stats from the season used to determine that rather than use popular vote? it makes zero sense... but I am not a sports fan so maybe it's something I just don't get because of that.

• Love 3

This all star thing is so confusing for me... if it's an all star team, why aren't the players chosen from the top x number of players in the league, or the top player or two from each team?

Why aren't actual stats from the season used to determine that rather than use popular vote? it makes zero sense... but I am not a sports fan so maybe it's something I just don't get because of that.

This is my biggest gripe about it all.  It SHOULD be the top players with the best production numbers/stats for whatever time period they determine to use. Let the fans pick remaining bench players once the top ones are determined on merit. Hardly anything is based on merit anywhere anymore (Whee! Everyone gets a trophy!), so it's not surprising that pro sports have relegated this, too, to a popularity contest.  Hopefully, SA's campaign will call attention to the idiocy of the system they're using, but I won't hold my breath...LOL.

(edited)

Did any of you see his tweet about "the funniest thing," which was a link to a (spoof?) info-ad about panties that hide a camel toe? It was pretty gross, and I was really surprised he went there, especially because he tends to keep his social media pretty PG and inoffensive. He can be obnoxious, sure, but he isn't usually blatantly offensive.

I don't know how to link to his Twitter; it's just something I saw in passing. I hoped he'd been hacked or that there was some other explanation because it seems so out of character for his public persona. I always got the impression that he had a healthy respect for women--hope I'm not wrong. Maybe he found it utterly ridiculous and was laughing at its stupidity?

ETA: Hopefully, this link works: https://mobile.twitter.com/amellywood/status/613071343517626368?cn=cmVjb3NfbmV0d29ya19kaWdlc3RfdHJpZ2dlcmVk&nid=244%2040&refsrc=email&sig=72c0241a4bb2740c18f9d5780dc16c9ef9a214af&t=1&uid=515448086&autoactions=1435005743&iid=54aa97d60daa4998b42b93222f9505a5&al=1

Edited by EmeraldArcher
(edited)

Manu Bennett & How he got his facial scars @ Sacramento Wizard World 6/20/2015

Manu Bennett & how he got the part of Deathstroke on Arrow 6/20/2015

ETA:  I moved BR's Q&A at Des Moines Comic Con 2015 video to the LoT forum.

Edited by tv echo

Did any of you see his tweet about "the funniest thing," which was a link to a (spoof?) info-ad about panties that hide a camel toe? It was pretty gross, and I was really surprised he went there, especially because he tends to keep his social media pretty PG and inoffensive. He can be obnoxious, sure, but he isn't usually blatantly offensive.

I don't know how to link to his Twitter; it's just something I saw in passing. I hoped he'd been hacked or that there was some other explanation because it seems so out of character for his public persona. I always got the impression that he had a healthy respect for women--hope I'm not wrong. Maybe he found it utterly ridiculous and was laughing at its stupidity?

ETA: Hopefully, this link works: https://mobile.twitter.com/amellywood/status/613071343517626368?cn=cmVjb3NfbmV0d29ya19kaWdlc3RfdHJpZ2dlcmVk&nid=244%2040&refsrc=email&sig=72c0241a4bb2740c18f9d5780dc16c9ef9a214af&t=1&uid=515448086&autoactions=1435005743&iid=54aa97d60daa4998b42b93222f9505a5&al=1

That tweet didn't surprise me, as much as I like Stephen Amell, he's made sexist comments a few times. I'm to the point where nothing he does/says surprises me. I remember back in season two, he used to sell himself (in Q&A videos) as a feminist but he's really not, not in my opinion at least. He once said he used to drive around in small cars because they were effeminate (I think he used girly once, have to check) in order to embarrass his cousin because, you know, it ain't cool to be effeminate. That comment wasn't such a big deal, I did side eye him but moved on. I'll never forget his facebook post (the one about leaving a restaurant to get his daughter away from an overly sexualized velociraptor?), and won't lie, that did kill some (a lot) of my love for him. Since then he's made some crappy comments. Honestly, I feel like he's comfortable enough with his fanbase & he's just being himself, which is kinda disappointing.

• Love 7

The starting line-up minus the pitcher are picked by the fans.  It is a popular vote for who the fans want to watch. You have to entice them to pay the big bucks somehow.   The manager then gets to pick the "2nd string"  and pitchers.  This usually (not always) gets the deserving players who were overlooked in the fan voting on  the team.  Unless things have changed, there has to be a representative from each team on the roster so occasionally someone deserving gets left off because he plays the same position as the best player on an abysmal team.

Best stats doesn't always equal best players to watch.  Some "stars" have great stats but don't do much to help their team because they are interested in their numbers more than being a team player. 

• Love 4