Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

Very few people here would consider finding Sean Blakemore attractive a UO. He is gorgeous, and a decent actor. It's his character that drags him down so much. 

Sean (the actor) is beautiful. Shawn/Sean (the character) is boring and awful

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2

I remember when Shawn and Alexis were first together, how a lot of people may not have bought that pairing, but Nancy was so thrilled to do love scenes with him it didn't matter to her at all! :P

• Love 3
Yeah, but let's not forget why that ridiculous storyline was written in the first place:  McBain!  Jason Morgan has raised everyone else's kid or has wanted to without a complaint, but I'm suppose to believe that he wouldn't want to raise Sam's baby?  Yeah, it was BS writing, and it was only done to drive a wedge between Jason and Sam so that Sam would run to McBain and Jason would lean on Elizabeth.  It was POS writing, and the fans called them out on it, and it's why RC had to fix the whole mess before SBu left.

I don't think Jason having doubts about raising Sam's baby was awful of him or out of character. I thought it was a very human reaction and one most people would have. It's not that he didn't want to, it was because he was afraid to. Afraid the baby would look like Franco, or do something to remind him of Franco, and remind him of his own failure to protect Sam, and he was afraid he would become resentful and take it out on Sam. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought it was somewhat understandable, sure, but I also thought it was typical Jason - you may have lain with someone else (even nonconsensually) so now God Warrior Jason and his Pew-Pew Guns are going to go sulk about his life.

It didn't surprise me that he did it, it just surprised me the show was daring to paint him as less than a perfect human being.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

I don't think Jason having doubts about raising Sam's baby was awful of him or out of character. I thought it was a very human reaction and one most people would have. It's not that he didn't want to, it was because he was afraid to. Afraid the baby would look like Franco, or do something to remind him of Franco, and remind him of his own failure to protect Sam, and he was afraid he would become resentful and take it out on Sam. 

I had no problem with Jason being upset about Franco being the father of the baby, especially after what Franco did to him and Sam.  What was OOC for me was that Jason couldn't accept the baby and raise him as his own.  Jason would never blame the baby, and he has, in fact, raised everyone else's kid.  I don't see Jason ever taking out his anger or denying his love to a child because of who their parent was.  That has never been Jason, and it was a WTF moment for me when he hurt Sam in that way because it is opposite of what we have seen this character do for kids and children.  The only reason RC wrote it that way - jason rejecting the baby - is because he wanted to send Sam into John McBain's arms.  It was contrived.  Jason would blame himself and be feeling guilty over how he could not protect Sam.  He would not blame her and the baby.  That was BS.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree 

My UO is that I also thought Jason had a legitimate right to pain given the story. Sam agreed to a certain amount of risk when she decided to be with Jason but this went way beyond being a bystander or a victim in some mob-related BS. This specific harm was a result of Franco's obsession with Jason and it was done to hurt Jason.  I don't think Jason made Sam's rape about him, I think the (incredibly shitty) story of Sam's rape was about Jason - and his feelings and reactions made sense in that context.

Sam was entitled to rage and pain because she was violated (and it was a violation despite RC's Franco retcon) but Jason's wife was raped on their honeymoon by a man who was obsessed with him and he was both prevented from helping her and forced to witness it. That's rage and helplessness and guilt

Just typing this reminded me how much this story made me want to vomit on a daily basis. The baby switch/paternity lie on top of it made me stop watching because that's a little too much misery for me.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4
(edited)

I don't think Nicholas Bechtel is being abused. I don't think he's going to be scarred for life by saying adult dialogue. I am not concerned for his mental well-being.

I completely agree. I hate the writing for the Spencer character, but I don't think the child actor is being abused.

Sam to Julian: Moving in together would be a real statement. I mean, we would actually be a family, the four of us.

She said it earlier this week. Of course it was followed by more Jason talk.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, since she said it to Julian. Had she said it to Patrick, or to Danny or Emma, I'd be right there with you, but to me, this is nothing.

As much as I don't think Morgan and Kiki were right or smart in their plan, I don't feel like it should be heartbreaking for Michael. He's only had Avery (another UO of mine, her damn name is Avery, this AJ crap annoys me like Spinelli) a few weeks. And I never thought he'd have permanent custody anyway. That would have been way too easy.

Like I was told when my fiance broke up with me seven weeks before the wedding and right after the out of town invites had gone out, better it happen now than several years down the road.

My unpopular opinion is that Michael should have as many years to raise baby AJ (or Avery, if that's your preference) as Sonny had to raise baby Michael. Also, Spinelli does not annoy me (</really unpopular>).

That said, I'm sorry about your break up, but am really glad you were free of that ass, before you were legally committed to it. <3

Micheal should know better. Sonny won't care once the kid is a year old. It's a girl. Take his candy mob business. Take Carly's hotel. Take their money. Damn. Did you learn nothing from AJ? Or Edward? Hit them in the wallets, bring security, fire Alice, record your conversations, and buy Johnny's sweet penthouse.

Amen.

Michael needs to do both. Avery hits him where it hurts immediately and in the short term (because we all know Michael won't have custody of her for much longer), but messing with the bidness is where Michael can really go to town and inflict some long-term, possibly permanent damage.

Ned should be helping Michael with this, not paying blackmail to stupid Franco.

My really unpopular opinion is that Michael will retain custody of baby Avery/AJ/That Sparkle Princess for her entire childhood. Hush. I know I'm wrong, but I don't want to hear it.

I'm not rooting for any of them. I want Avery to be given to someone who doesn't live in PC.

So like… Jennifer Horton Devereaux?

I just can't stand Maxie most of the time -- although, obviously, I'd take her over most of the psychotic freaks that populate PC these days.   So I don't care that much if she ends up with either the pretty talking tree, or that awful, horrid Spinelli.  

Wow, the above is funny to me, because to me, it feels like Maxie love is the unpopular opinion. My unpopular opinion is that I think Maxie brings so much to the show, and not just because Kirsten (Kirstin?) Storms is so pretty and her baby is so cute, but just because I think the actress gets it, even when the writers do not.

Random, but I think the theory that ABC purposefully wants Ron and Frank to tank GH is absurd. They have no fear of cancelling GH. If they wanted to cancel, they would. It still makes them some money, so they keep it on, but I'm sure they will yank it the moment it doesn't/they find a cheaper replacement. And I doubt Ron and Frank would get some secret pay day if they purposefully tanked GH.

Now, that they (as in ABC people, not Frank and Ron) don't particularly care to improve it or particularly care to STOP it from turning into shit/being cancelled, that I can buy.

My unpopular opinion is that TWoP was growing in readers and forum posters, each year, was turning a profit, and yet NBC/UNI decided to shit-can the site, so I will never again try to understand this shit.

I liked her loving him, but the line was crossed when Ron began writing them like Romeo and Juliet, as he does with every couple he writes for.

My unpopular opinion is that William Shakespeare should be taking some major offense, right now.

Edited by General Days
  • Love 2

I still hate that Roger Howarth was cast as Franco. 

My unpopular opinion is that Michael should have as many years to raise baby AJ (or Avery, if that's your preference) as Sonny had to raise baby Michael.

I don't think these are unpopular opinions, at least not here.

• Love 7

I wouldn't mind if they stayed IF Ron signed a contract in blood stating that he will never, ever attempt to make a romantic couple out of Spinelli and Maxie again.  I love Ellie (she was totally cracking me up yesterday), and I think she and Spin make a good match.  I actually don't mind Spinelli when he interacts with pretty much any character other than Maxie (though I have no issue with them as friends amicably co-parenting Georgie).  They're just toxic to each other.

• Love 5

I resent the fact that Spin had finally moved on and had a nice, normal, healthy, mature relationship with Ellie and then came back and started debasing himself over stupid Maxie again. And all at the alter of the epic Maxie/talking tree romance. How many more interlopers will Ron throw at this ridiculous couple. 

• Love 2

I agree 

My UO is that I also thought Jason had a legitimate right to pain given the story. Sam agreed to a certain amount of risk when she decided to be with Jason but this went way beyond being a bystander or a victim in some mob-related BS. This specific harm was a result of Franco's obsession with Jason and it was done to hurt Jason.  I don't think Jason made Sam's rape about him, I think the (incredibly shitty) story of Sam's rape was about Jason - and his feelings and reactions made sense in that context.

Sam was entitled to rage and pain because she was violated (and it was a violation despite RC's Franco retcon) but Jason's wife was raped on their honeymoon by a man who was obsessed with him and he was both prevented from helping her and forced to witness it. That's rage and helplessness and guilt

Just typing this reminded me how much this story made me want to vomit on a daily basis. The baby switch/paternity lie on top of it made me stop watching because that's a little too much misery for me.

Dare I say, as much as I disliked the storyline, it was compelling and the actors turned in some good work.

As much as I despise Jasam because of my hatred for Jason, they had some in-depth writing over the years. 

SBu was lazy but he rose to the occasion like in the storyline under discussion. I can't see BM's Jakeson bringing that sort of intensity to the role. He is so vanilla.

(edited)

I agree that they both did good work. I just hated the storyline and think the entire year needed a trigger warning.

I think RC obviously wanted to make major changes to the role and I think BM is a fine recast if that was his goal but right now he's not a character at all he's just a boring, passive man-shaped plot point. There's no there there

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3

From the interview TG just gave:

Genie and I agreed several years ago that the love of Luke and Laura had run its course. They have children together and a very storied history and there's definitely still love there but I think they're toxic to each other at this point. She's been in an asylum. He's been in an asylum. Life has not always worked out for them.

Whenever TG has spoken out about not wanting a Luke and Laura reunion I never saw it as disrespectful to the pairing or its fans. I see it as a perfectly valid and reasonable viewpoint. Just because L&L were great together in the past doesn't mean they just HAVE to end up together. Life happens, people change, and sometimes couples just grow apart.  After everything that's happened to them I think it's very realistic that they would eventually drift apart. The love is still there but they just can't make it work as a couple anymore. This happens in real life and is far more believable and poignant than a lot of the ridiculous crap that happens on a soap.

On a related note, I've never understood the backlash actors (TG in particular) get for voicing their opinions on the characters they play. So what if an actor hates a pairing or story that you love or vice versa? As long as they show up and do their jobs I don't think their opinions should have an effect on your viewing experience.

My issue with TG isn't really Laura related, as I preferred her with Scotty. Gasp! I know. I hate the idea of a rape survivor being deeply in love with her rapist. I never thought Scotty was a bad guy. He had a right to be rude to the rapist who stole his wife. Anyway,....my issue is when TG would want Luke to do crazy off the wall stuff like kill kid Jake, be an alcoholic, start drinking again, and that whole Ethan mess. Dude, you want to play a dark character, great. You want to be a writer? Great.

• Love 1
(edited)

I will NEVER stop resenting that Ethan BS. It was such an incredibly uninteresting choice

I also hated the idea of Luke, who had been forgiven by both Laura and much of the viewing audience for a heinous crime, regularly cheating on Laura.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 11

Speaking only for myself, I don't have a problem with actors having an opinion on stories or pairings. I have a problem when they affect what should be TPTB's decisions.

If TPTB start making bad decisions based on what the actors want then the fault lies with them. They're the one in charge, they don't have to listen to what the actors have to say.

• Love 1

If TPTB start making bad decisions based on what the actors want then the fault lies with them. They're the one in charge, they don't have to listen to what the actors have to say.

Well, yeah. But I still don't like that particular thing the actor is trying to do. They need to stay in their lane and know their role.

• Love 2

I think probably actors on soaps do know their characters better than the writers do, and I'm glad they occasionally say something, but the thing is with TG I think he knows half the crap he suggested wasn't in character - he just wanted to pretend he was playing other characters while he was playing Luke.

• Love 17
(edited)

I agree ulkis. There were times I think actors making demands is a good thing for the show, like when TG stopped Jackie Zemens initial firing, or when Billy Warlock refused to have AJ push Carly down the stairs. TPTB, especially these days, rarely seem to think about the good of the show as a whole, nor do they care about angering fans when have their favs acting out of character to further plot points.

I loved Claire Labine's writing in the 90s and think the show is basically running on the fumes of her superb years, but looking at how Guza, who was a decent writer, in the late 90s, I don't think the network was wrong in letting her go. Her writing had their own set of problems and think they would have worsen and if Guza and RC are any indication, overwhelmed the show if she were to continue.

Guza isn't the one I blame for Tony Geary's overinflated ego, I blame Gloria Monty. From allowing TG to rewrite his dialogue to her telling Genie Francis that TG was the star of the show, despite the ratings starting to rising when Laura  was given greater screen time, well before Luke premiered, of course he would start thinking he was god's gift to GH. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 6

I think probably actors on soaps do know their characters better than the writers do, and I'm glad they occasionally say something, but the thing is with TG I think he knows half the crap he suggested wasn't in character - he just wanted to pretend he was playing other characters while he was playing Luke.

For the most part, unless it's Bryan Craig (haha, joking) I don't think the actors know their characters better. There are 3 kinds of actors: 1. Just there for the paycheck, 2. Want to play whatever---the crazier, the better, 3. Want to be a fan favorite.

And I also don't think actors know the storylines or the history better. It reminds me of a JT interview months ago and he didn't know Bobbie's last name or like, anything about the show. Damn, I wish I remembered the exact interview. There's a link somewhere.

(edited)

I didn't mean the history of the whole show, just that of their characters. And certainly not all actors, but some of them, and just on soaps, where they have so many writers. I wouldn't say that an actor necessarily knows a character better on a show that has the same writers for most of its run.

Do you not think that Kim McC knows Robin better than Ron does? Not being snarky, genuine question.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6
(edited)

HeatLifer I completely disagree. It is even in shrined in Douglas Marland's rules for soap writing, the actors playing the characters for years (or decades in some cases) have a better handle on the character than an asshole writer that has just started writing for the show. There are even some exceptionally talented actors that probably understand their characters better, even if they have just started.  I think  a lot of actors just want to act in solid character driven show. Part of the problem with GH for the last 15, maybe even 20 years, is that they will kowtow to certain actors who they believe are the "stars" while they completely trash other characters, whether it makes sense to the character and/or the future of the show. 

As for JT not know Bobbie's last name, I really don't blame him. Bobbie was pretty much gone when Patrick arrived and aside from her character dating his character's dad off screen, rarely interacted.

But I'm more talking in general. I don't overall believe that actors on soaps know their characters better. All actors have different prerogatives in terms of how they believe their characters should behave.

I put the opinions of the most actors over the writers, especially the current batch of writers especially when it comes to daytime, and not all writers and producers are created equal. This isn't Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where Joss Whedon created the characters and was the ones that oversaw their arcs. RC and by extension FV, didn't and there is a lifetime of stories that preceded them, and to me they just don't "get" what GH is supposed to be . I didn't get into GH until later, but I will bet my bank account that Anna acted more like Anna when she was interacting with Casey the Alien than what they are having her do now. I will admit, the Scorpios aren't my favorite family, but the 2nd season of GH:Night Shift was a lot closer to what GH is supposed to be than GH right now, mainly because Sri Rao isn't some petty little bitch like RC. The strangest thing, the king of Daytime himself, Tony Geary is one of the few actors thats that lost track of his character. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 8
(edited)

I didn't mean the history of the whole show, just that of their characters. And certainly not all actors, but some of them, and just on soaps, where they have so many writers. I wouldn't say that an actor necessarily knows a character better on a show that has the same writers for most of its run.

Do you not think that Kim McC knows Robin better than Ron does? Not being snarky, genuine question.

If we are specifically talking about Ron, then I think anyone knows the characters better than him.

But I'm more talking in general. I don't overall believe that actors on soaps know their characters better. All actors have different prerogatives in terms of how they believe their characters should behave.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2

If we are specifically talking about Ron, then I think anyone knows the characters better than him.

Yeah, Ron is a bad example. What about when KMcC insisted (under Garin Wolf) that Robin wouldn't inject Lisa with HIV + blood? I thought she was right to protest there.

• Love 9

I think that whether an actor does know better depends, in large part, on the tenures of the actor and head writer.  If you have someone who has been playing the same character for many years, decades even, then, compared to the head writers who tend to turn over regularly (outside of B&B, I believe), then, yeah, they're going to know their own character better than the HW who was been there a fraction of the time the actor has.  I wouldn't say that MS "knows" Nina better than Ron, but BH, for example, damn well knows Liz better than Ron does.  

I think that, if a HW has an actor coming to them saying "listen, I've been playing this character for 15 years, and he would never do this.  And here's why..." and they have specific reasons related to the character's past, then the HW should give that consideration.  And, if they want to go full steam ahead despite that feedback, then they need to write into their story a "why" that makes sense as to why this character is behaving in a way that just does not work for people who have followed the show for years and know this character's history.  

IMO, the HW's should view the long term actors as a resource.  Because when you ignore the knowledge they have of their characters, it's likely that you're going to end up doing things that annoy your long term audience, when some of them end up having the same issues that the actor raised about a plot point.  

• Love 14

Well you have actors like MB who insist every time Sonny does something truly mobster-like that its out of character and Sonny would never.

And plenty of soap actors forget things that happened to their characters over the years.

Yeah, Ron is a bad example. What about when KMcC insisted (under Garin Wolf) that Robin wouldn't inject Lisa with HIV + blood? I thought she was right to protest there.

Was that the original story? I know Lisa injected, or tried to inject, someone (Patrick?) with that blood (that was right before I started watching so I can't remember for sure), but was Robin supposed to do that, too? 

Was that the original story? I know Lisa injected, or tried to inject, someone (Patrick?) with that blood (that was right before I started watching so I can't remember for sure), but was Robin supposed to do that, too? 

The original story was that Lisa was going to take Robin's HIV blood and inject someone with it. Kimberly put her foot down about it.  This was to happen on the boat after Anthony Zacchara "revived" her from her coma, when Lisa did inject herself after she shot Spinelli in the chest, which gave birth to his horrid, horrid, Bogey wannabe character.

But since I didn't watch what happened on the yacht, not sure what Lisa was using to kill people. We just know it was revealed, retconned? that Matt had killed her.

• Love 1

Well you have actors like MB who insist every time Sonny does something truly mobster-like that its out of character and Sonny would never.

And plenty of soap actors forget things that happened to their characters over the years.

Which is why I said the HWs need to consider the actor's input.  I never said they had to take it as gospel.  For example, if MB tries to claim that Sonny would never endanger a woman or child, well then Ron can hit up YouTube and show MB numerous videos of instances were Sonny has, in fact, endangered women and children.  

And, of course, they should also take into consideration how often any particular actor comes to them trying to get story changed.  If it's someone who's bitching about it like once a month, then, eventually, you're not going to take them as seriously as someone who rarely expresses that kind of concern.  

• Love 4

I thought the original story was Robin was supposed to inject Lisa with her blood? Now I'm not sure, but Kim talks about it here: http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/general-hospital/kimberly-mccullough-and-finola-hughes-interview-general-hospital/2012/02/20/

I thought the original story was Robin was supposed to inject Lisa with her blood? Now I'm not sure, but Kim talks about it here: http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/general-hospital/kimberly-mccullough-and-finola-hughes-interview-general-hospital/2012/02/20/

I"m not even going to click play on that interview, because it made me cry the first time I saw it. Not gonna do it. Though Tristan Fucking Rogers! Should have also been on that interview. Just sayin'. Not that I'm biased or anything.

• Love 1

You'd think that losing custody of her daughter, almost dying in child birth, almost losing Robin, being held hostage by her weird hippie boyfriend would mature Maxie a wee bit..... but she's regressed. It's kinda.... weird.

And I liked MR for a second or Emme Rylan because I confused her with another actress on GL. My bad.

Maxie is a ditz and has always been .since she grew up anyway. Aged would be a better word. I don't think she has ever grown up.  I loved Emme Ryland on GL. She was a great Lizzie and now she has to overcome FrankenRon.GL until they destroyed the show was a long time favorite of mine. JMO we all have our own opinions.

Just to clarify, no. Lisa was supposed to inject Patrick. JT/KMc talked about almost walking off set when that came up.

And now, let's go back to what this is about: Unpopular opinions. By all means, if y'all want to continue this, mosey on over to the History thread.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm reaching Pruza levels of hate with this writing regime and it's happening much more quickly than it did with Pruza - I think I just have less patience at this point. Plus, Guza actually had years of goodwill built up from writing good soap - RC does not

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3

I hate everyone on this show. Starting with TIIC..when I read the boards FrankenRon have dumbed down and dirtied another of the cast. No one has a moral on the show. The characters I liked  have all turned dirty. All are evil.There are so many mobsters ,I bet they don't know what gang they are working for this week. TJ and Molly seem to be the only two with a brain, the rest of the show children included don't seem to have one to share. Are FrankenRon sooo full of themselves they actually believe their own press. ya know the ass kissers on twitter, and GH on twitter.?

• Love 3

I'm cheering at Duke's demise. So glad that murderous, conscienceless, treacherous, self-serving mobster is dead. I didn't have sympathy for mobsters with the professed heart of gold and a gift of connecting with children the first time they tried to peddle that offensive crap, and I don't this time either. I'm beyond disgusted at Anna mourning the creep and resorting to crime herself in order to "avenge" his death. Yo, Anna, that piece of shit ordered your colleague's murder because she, like you, is a federal agent. He didn't call it off until the last minute, not even after he was confronted with her teenage son, by which time his hired assassin could have killed Jordan (and Anna herself) five times over. Even to the bitter end, he only decided to order off the hit for his OWN purpose - to run away with HIS love. Forget about Jordan and the people who love her. So please spare me the grief and hand-wringing. Duke is no better than Sonny - in every respect. The actor is similarly awful - totally preposterous.

• Love 6

That's not an unpopular opinion. A good number of posters here have been saying this for years.

I feel like its gotten worse though since this regime took over. Nothing feels real and everything is played up for laughs. This month should've had a Mother's Day brunch, Kristina's graduation celebration, and a Nurse's Ball that looked  like a fundraising gala instead of a high school Spring Fling.

• Love 1