Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

New set is pretty boring. I guess band-on-the-left lost its edge pretty quickly and now we're back to mainstream band-on-the-right.

I wonder what they've done with the old Ikea desk, only a few months of wear and tear!  Just in time for back to school and craigslist.

Still bored with excessive amounts of personal anecdotes.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the new set.

I was so looking forward to the Colbert interview, but it was absolutely boring. There could have been potential!

Also, you have Colbert and his close pal Amy Sedaris on the same show-- and there's no interaction between them! Not even a brush-pass!

I actually thought the new set was a HUGE improvement.  Sure it's kind of generic, but that's fine.  I couldn't get over how spare and low rent  the previous one looked.  For me it always bordered on  looking like they were on a cable access budget. 

Also, you have Colbert and his close pal Amy Sedaris on the same show-- and there's no interaction between them! Not even a brush-pass!

Yeah, that surprised me, too. It made me wonder if Stephen came in at a different time to tape his segment because of a conflict with "The Colbert Report" taping schedule. 

Also, I'd just like to say that I really, really, REALLY do not like the band. They just sound really amateurish. :/

• Love 1

Traditionally a new set is the first event in the death spiral of a program.  Ratings taking a hit? Get a new set.  Happens all the time. Money isn't spent when things are hunky dory (although it appears they didn't spend a whole lotta cash on the new set).  The next of the four horsemen will probably be an announcement of a new producer or executive producer, followed by changes in the writer's room.

What seems odd to me is unless the wheels have completely and irreparably fallen off, why make the changes prior to Ferguson's departure?  Only thing I can imagine other than getting/about to be killed in the ratings is the recent retirement of the long time head of NBC late night programming with perhaps someone who is more in tune with Kabletown's... err Comcast's shark-like business model for fiscal goal attainment.

Sorry Seth, it was a noble attempt, just a bad time and place to do business.

• Love 1

Traditionally a new set is the first event in the death spiral of a program.  Ratings taking a hit? Get a new set.  Happens all the time.

Seems like a spot-on analysis. The only thing that mitigates it is that the old set was clearly perceived by everyone (except everyone who puts on the show!) as a loser. If the old set was adequate, and was replaced anyway, I'd say you've got to be right. But I'm thinking that by day 3, they all knew the set had to go, and it was just a matter of waiting until a new set design could be concocted and installed without losing face.

How bad are the ratings, by the way? Way worse than Fallon's when he had the time slot? I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe here!) that Seth has been beating Craig Ferguson handily.

How bad are the ratings, by the way? Way worse than Fallon's when he had the time slot? I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe here!) that Seth has been beating Craig Ferguson handily.

One needs to remember however, ratings are a relative term.  NBC was a guilty as anyone promoting the concept that good ratings are nice (and doing quality work for that matter) but generating profit is better.  Zucker was happy as a clam if a program didn't do squat numbers wise, but was making oodles of cash, and equally upset if the numbers were good but nothing was going into the bank.  More so now that Kabletown is in charge.

I think you're fundamentally right that folks knew the old set wasn't working early on, particularly compared to Fallon's high-pedigree digs appearing an hour earlier on the network's airwaves, but I can't shake the feeling that it's an indication that storm clouds are brewing.  

Seems like a spot-on analysis. The only thing that mitigates it is that the old set was clearly perceived by everyone (except everyone who puts on the show!) as a loser. If the old set was adequate, and was replaced anyway, I'd say you've got to be right. But I'm thinking that by day 3, they all knew the set had to go, and it was just a matter of waiting until a new set design could be concocted and installed without losing face.

I've read he's doing really, really well in the ratings. Even beating Letterman in the demo.

He's doing great.

But Seth had 18 days off thanks to the Emmys and Labor Day, so that's why they used that time to put in a new set.

Watching the Jeff Goldblum episode. He may be one of the best talk show guests besides "Charm-Monsters" Joe Biden and Amy Poehler. Goldblum has only gotten more attractive since Jurassic Park, and I want to marry him now.

He was saying which celebrity each of Seth's band members looked like, and he was spot on. I had to Google Diahnne Abbott (which is the celebrity who looks like 8G  drummer Kim), and he was right Also, if you were wondering, Diahnne Abbott was Robert DeNiro's first wife. The one guy, Syd, who looks like Harry Connick Jr, clearly hears it all the time. 

Edit: fixed the links

Edited by BoogieBurns

Even though I like Andy Samberg, I got so annoyed listening to Seth and Andy bro it up.

And talk about their SNL past. Again.

Which got me thinking: How many SNL alums from Seth's era have been on his show?

I don't know if I'll do this regularly, but:

Last week: 2 (Tina Fey, Bill Hader)
This week: 2 (Ana Gasteyer, Andy Samberg)
Next week: 1 (John Mulaney)

Let's start the "When will Fred take the next night off?" pool. I bet he doesn't last through the rest of October.

Speaking of which, why is Seth spending his weekends performing in Vegas.

Why doesn't he just stay home and relax and watch his Northwestern team?

I'm a huge SNL fan, so the SNL people coming on regularly does not bother me, I love it. Even Seth's writers have made fun of the fact that SNL gets mentioned a lot (Seth's Affirmations, hilarious).

Speaking of which, why is Seth spending his weekends performing in Vegas.

Why doesn't he just stay home and relax and watch his Northwestern team?

Seth said in interviews last year that he began doing stand-up again after finding out he got "Late Night" to get him ready for doing monologues. Clearly it isn't working, as his monologues are getting worse. (imo) At this point I only watch (on Hulu) if there is a guest I like, and only after fast-forwarding until their segment. I skip the monologue, the "comedy" bits, hell, even past Fred's little improv'd discussions about What Fred's Involved With every night.

Speaking of which...don't do that bit EVERY night, do it one night a week, and make up different comedy bits for the other 4 nights. Much like Fallon does "Thank You Notes" on Fridays. (I think? I skip past his comedy bits now, too.) The last time I accidentally watched the "So, Fred, I heard you started a (insert lame improv topic HERE)..." I started improv-ing a story myself and completely ignored what they said.

New writers. This show needs new writers. Also new theme music. It sounds like something an 8th grader wrote after learning 4 chords on his guitar and deciding to start a band! in my garage, man!

Gah, I hate this show.

• Love 1

Oh well that didn't last long, last time he had one of the writers standing in the audience asking Seth to "make a Bill Cosby joke" - the whole skit was boring, repetitive and interminable.

Oh and it started with the fake audience member interrupting a stupid anecdote about his stupid dog Frisbee "now everyone knows I love my dog Frisbee..."

Cringe.

The Cosby bit was kind of awful.   It would have been edgy and timely if they had actually done something funny but they didn't.

The bits with the writers are usually my least favorite thing.     And they way they use Fred.   I love Fred in sketches, and Portandia, but the lying stuff every single night is boring.

I absolutely loved Seth's interview with Russell Brand last night. Granted Russell is a fantastic interview no matter what tv show he's on, but I really liked their vibe together. Seth, aside from Craigy Ferg, (in my opinion), is one of the best talk show interviewers out there. I watch Jimmy Fallon all the time too, but I think we all know what the issue is there when it comes to interviews lol. 

I absolutely loved Seth's interview with Russell Brand last night. Granted Russell is a fantastic interview no matter what tv show he's on, but I really liked their vibe together. Seth, aside from Craigy Ferg, (in my opinion), is one of the best talk show interviewers out there. I watch Jimmy Fallon all the time too, but I think we all know what the issue is there when it comes to interviews lol. 

(My bolding.)  No, I don't know what the hell is wrong with him.  He used to be a good interviewer, but lately he has gone all preppy &, IMO, just plain silly.  ..... and don't get me started on his stupid games -- now he's got a lot of other shows doing it too.  If I wanted to watch games, I'd watch a game show like the new one Craig Ferguson has.

I got kind of a soft spot for Jenjamin because it was so out there.

But now we don't get to see the one man juggernaut that is Juggling Lessons when Jason inevitably hosts! Did Fred steal the scene by doing nothing?

Full hour of Seth's parents Thanksgiving. Hopefully with a Frisbee story!

I got a kick out of the show with his parents and his brother.    Somehow watching how he and his mom and dad interact, I have a feeling I'm watching a dynamic that's been going on his whole life.     He got good hair genes from both side of the family.    I think he got most of his humor from his mom, but I see a little of his dad's deadpan delivery too.

They're trying to get him to quit?

Seth will never quit. He didn't want to ever leave Weekend Update. He's never going to leave Lorne.

Probably a smart move.

The monologue has 4 jokes in it that take forever to tell.

I record Seth every night, and fast-forward to the 25-30 minute mark. Last night, they had Paula Pell, from that show he used to work on, Saturday Night Live..