Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Words

Late Night With Seth Meyers

Recommended Posts

He usually doesn’t do A Closer Look every night(he did do it last Monday through Thursday), although sometimes I wish he would.

Share this post


Link to post

There's been so much lately though that it's almost every night. I don't care about celebrity interviews and only started watching in March when I was suddenly home a lot and things got serious. It helps to see the news without quite so much gravitas as my normal news sources sometimes. If things ever calm down, I don't know if I'll still watch. I ff through the celebrity interviews a lot already.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

James was, understandably, unimpressed with Seth’s attempt to match his ‘80s hair! (I really think he had the length; he just needed way more in the way of teasing and/or blow drying and hairspray.)

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Monday's was the worst monologue/Closer Look I've seen him do.  I was trying to fast-forward the side jokes with the crew and sometimes I didn't hold the button down long enough.  He needed to do a dry run with just the stage crew and writing staff and get all that hyuck-hyuck "watch this, you guys" out of his system.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, candall said:

Monday's was the worst monologue/Closer Look I've seen him do.  I was trying to fast-forward the side jokes with the crew and sometimes I didn't hold the button down long enough.  He needed to do a dry run with just the stage crew and writing staff and get all that hyuck-hyuck "watch this, you guys" out of his system.

I like when they remember at their heart they're not a hard news program.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoy the asides to the crew, I laugh every time. It keeps things silly and I can tell how overjoyed Seth is to not have to talk at length about the former president.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I guess January 22 Bernie Sanders was on -- I'm in the process of moving and don't have Over The Air TV right now, so caught this on YouTube, but it includes bits about the mittens, so that date seems correct.

Anyway, Bernie never addressed Seth by his name. He only called him "Son" even though Seth mentioned that Bernie had been on before some months ago.  
I'm guessing someone just told Bernie he was going to be on "Late Night." LOL

 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I enjoy the asides to the crew, I laugh every time. It keeps things silly and I can tell how overjoyed Seth is to not have to talk at length about the former president.

Me too - although I’m going to miss how he yells out “Mel? Mel?” during those segments.  

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

It sounds to me as if he does say Seth not son.  Definitely, he says Seth near marker 5:00.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Seth Meyers rant cadence during Closer Look was so close to Amy Pohler’s rant in the parks ep The Fight that made me rewatch! 

I don’t know what Michelle is doing but she looks fucking amazing and completely like herself! It does help for being born with cheek bones for DAYS!

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It sounds to me as if he does say Seth not son.  Definitely, he says Seth near marker 5:00.

He does say “Seth” at about 7:30 on the above clip. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post

Did Seth say a naughty word during Monday night's monologue while talking about Cuomo? 

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Karen will talk at the top of the show about the murders in Georgia.

 

  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

She did a fantastic job.

I wish those who most needed to hear Karen Chee's message were already acquainted with her as an upbeat, openhearted young person so they could maybe grasp --by the contrast in her demeanor-- the depth of the horror of the attacks and the situation in general. 
She was also on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me last week, as her usual bubbly self, so perhaps a couple of people will hear her in both places, since I think Wait Wait is often listened to by one member of a household and then picked up by others --and maybe the Wait Wait fans will also pull up her commentary on the attacks, which will also be heard by those in earshot. "Each one, teach one," and all that.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, Cobb Salad said:

Me too - although I’m going to miss how he yells out “Mel? Mel?” during those segments.  

He still does every once in a while. 🤣😂

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

He still does every once in a while. 🤣😂

Yes and I enjoy it each time 😊

I’ve been enjoying his recaps of “Tiny Secret Whispers” lately.   I just wish I could get Butternut. 😆

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I like the Thursday show closings where Amber shows up and Seth chair dances behind her. It's the perfect amount of dorkitude to launch a weekend.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’ve been enjoying his recaps of “Tiny Secret Whispers” lately.

Yes, I love Tiny Secret Whispers! And his rambles about the rules of the Ocean Master board game. And the way he ribs his joke writers (and Wally) by name. And the ridiculous Corrections segments on YouTube. Basically, I love all the asides where he’s just talking to his staff-audience and it’s 90% silliness.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, ahisma said:

Basically, I love all the asides where he’s just talking to his staff-audience and it’s 90% silliness.

So do I, and I always laugh when he calls out a specific writer after a particularly corny joke. 🤣😂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I always laugh when he calls out a specific writer after a particularly corny joke. 🤣😂

Same! Especially his outraged, “Scollins!!!” Not gonna lie, I 100% thought the goat kids joke was Karen’s. I love that someone else branched out into wholesome cuteness territory. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

The next time my daughter and my son-in-law come over I am definitely going to have the magic trick set up for "pick a number between 1 and 5."

Regardless, I am surely more closely related to Sarah Silverman and her family than just the generic Ashkenazi 30th cousin. Or does everyone feel that way when watching her?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, ahisma said:

Same! Especially his outraged, “Scollins!!!”

Not only did Seth completely indulge me the very next week, they just posted a compilation on YouTube. I am freaking loving the pandemic version of the show.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ahisma said:

Not only did Seth completely indulge me the very next week, they just posted a compilation on YouTube. I am freaking loving the pandemic version of the show.

Me too.  Looks like he’s off this week 🙁. No Tiny Secret Whispers update, unless they’re on hiatus too 😄

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

No Tiny Secret Whispers update, unless they’re on hiatus too 😄

Goldangit, I don’t have Butternut! I’m relying on Seth to find out whether Lise and Adabell figure out what’s going on with Packer. 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, ahisma said:

Goldangit, I don’t have Butternut! I’m relying on Seth to find out whether Lise and Adabell figure out what’s going on with Packer. 

I don’t have Butternut either. 😆 I’m counting on Seth having someone from Tiny Secret Whispers as a guest soon.  Maybe they’ll bring a clip with them.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I loved everything about the John Oliver interview. Riffing about Seth’s accent work, stories about standup days and other old jobs, politely stated but pointed digs at Prince Philip, football league standings... I missed the heck out of Seth and this was a complete delight.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ahisma said:

I loved everything about the John Oliver interview. Riffing about Seth’s accent work, stories about standup days and other old jobs, politely stated but pointed digs at Prince Philip, football league standings... I missed the heck out of Seth and this was a complete delight.

Yes, and Scollins got another shout out. 🤣😂

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

How come, in the same building, Jimmy Fallon has a (limited) audience, but Seth doesn't? Studio size?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, opus said:

How come, in the same building, Jimmy Fallon has a (limited) audience, but Seth doesn't? Studio size?

Good question. I was wondering myself, but so far I haven't heard anything. 

Share this post


Link to post

From the initial reporting of Fallon going back it seemed to be just a personal preference that between him and The Roots they wanted that vibe. Though budget might also be a consideration, audience management is a thing in and of itself.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think we can all tell by now which jokes are the Scollins jokes. 😉😝🤣😂

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know if any of you have been watching CNN's limited series The Story of Late Night - which debuted this past weekend, but both Seth and Amber are amongst the interviewees of the 6-part miniseries. It's been a fascinating watch so far.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Seth was totally on point last night about what to keep post-pandemic:

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

New "Tiny Secret Whispers" update!! 😂😂😂😂😂

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Seth was totally on point last night about what to keep post-pandemic:

 

I agree.  I’ve never been crazy with shaking someone else’s hand.  The first thought I always have afterwards is trying to figure out where and when I’ll be able to wash my hands next.  Plus having to touch someone else’s clammy limp hand.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I agree.  I’ve never been crazy with shaking someone else’s hand.  The first thought I always have afterwards is trying to figure out where and when I’ll be able to wash my hands next.  Plus having to touch someone else’s clammy limp hand.  

"Let's all keep working from home. Not you, Wally, you stay!!" 🤣😂

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I love that Seth is dunking on Guiliani every night now, even when The Closer Look has nothing to do with Rudy. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/13/2021 at 10:41 PM, Kromm said:

I love that Seth is dunking on Guiliani every night now, even when The Closer Look has nothing to do with Rudy. 

Well, he deserves it!! 😂😂😂😂😂

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

That poor staffer in Secretary Haaland’s office! I wonder what it was she thought was so desperately necessary that she needed to go in during the interview, and if she realized afterwards it was not worth it! 😂

Edited by ahisma · Reason: Pronouns

Share this post


Link to post

The Wally interview was fun.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, opus said:

The Wally interview was fun.

Who doesn't love Wally? 🥰

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The world demands more Wally the Cue Card Guy! Can we start a petition for him to host SNL? 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

The world demands more Wally the Cue Card Guy! Can we start a petition for him to host SNL? 

Why not? He's already there!! 😊😎

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

The world demands more Wally the Cue Card Guy! Can we start a petition for him to host SNL? 

He's gotta be better than Elon Musk. 

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2021 at 2:52 AM, Kromm said:

He's gotta be better than Elon Musk. 

Plus, how can you not love someone who started his own personalized cue card company during lockdown? 🥰

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size