Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

There's been so much lately though that it's almost every night. I don't care about celebrity interviews and only started watching in March when I was suddenly home a lot and things got serious. It helps to see the news without quite so much gravitas as my normal news sources sometimes. If things ever calm down, I don't know if I'll still watch. I ff through the celebrity interviews a lot already.

• Love 2

James was, understandably, unimpressed with Seth’s attempt to match his ‘80s hair! (I really think he had the length; he just needed way more in the way of teasing and/or blow drying and hairspray.)

• LOL 3

Monday's was the worst monologue/Closer Look I've seen him do.  I was trying to fast-forward the side jokes with the crew and sometimes I didn't hold the button down long enough.  He needed to do a dry run with just the stage crew and writing staff and get all that hyuck-hyuck "watch this, you guys" out of his system.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, candall said:

Monday's was the worst monologue/Closer Look I've seen him do.  I was trying to fast-forward the side jokes with the crew and sometimes I didn't hold the button down long enough.  He needed to do a dry run with just the stage crew and writing staff and get all that hyuck-hyuck "watch this, you guys" out of his system.

I like when they remember at their heart they're not a hard news program.

• Love 4

I guess January 22 Bernie Sanders was on -- I'm in the process of moving and don't have Over The Air TV right now, so caught this on YouTube, but it includes bits about the mittens, so that date seems correct.

Anyway, Bernie never addressed Seth by his name. He only called him "Son" even though Seth mentioned that Bernie had been on before some months ago.  
I'm guessing someone just told Bernie he was going to be on "Late Night." LOL

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I enjoy the asides to the crew, I laugh every time. It keeps things silly and I can tell how overjoyed Seth is to not have to talk at length about the former president.

Me too - although I’m going to miss how he yells out “Mel? Mel?” during those segments.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Seth Meyers rant cadence during Closer Look was so close to Amy Pohler’s rant in the parks ep The Fight that made me rewatch! 

I don’t know what Michelle is doing but she looks fucking amazing and completely like herself! It does help for being born with cheek bones for DAYS!

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

She did a fantastic job.

I wish those who most needed to hear Karen Chee's message were already acquainted with her as an upbeat, openhearted young person so they could maybe grasp --by the contrast in her demeanor-- the depth of the horror of the attacks and the situation in general. 
She was also on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me last week, as her usual bubbly self, so perhaps a couple of people will hear her in both places, since I think Wait Wait is often listened to by one member of a household and then picked up by others --and maybe the Wait Wait fans will also pull up her commentary on the attacks, which will also be heard by those in earshot. "Each one, teach one," and all that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

He still does every once in a while. 🤣😂

Yes and I enjoy it each time 😊

I’ve been enjoying his recaps of “Tiny Secret Whispers” lately.   I just wish I could get Butternut. 😆

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’ve been enjoying his recaps of “Tiny Secret Whispers” lately.

Yes, I love Tiny Secret Whispers! And his rambles about the rules of the Ocean Master board game. And the way he ribs his joke writers (and Wally) by name. And the ridiculous Corrections segments on YouTube. Basically, I love all the asides where he’s just talking to his staff-audience and it’s 90% silliness.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ahisma said:

Basically, I love all the asides where he’s just talking to his staff-audience and it’s 90% silliness.

So do I, and I always laugh when he calls out a specific writer after a particularly corny joke. 🤣😂

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I always laugh when he calls out a specific writer after a particularly corny joke. 🤣😂

Same! Especially his outraged, “Scollins!!!” Not gonna lie, I 100% thought the goat kids joke was Karen’s. I love that someone else branched out into wholesome cuteness territory. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The next time my daughter and my son-in-law come over I am definitely going to have the magic trick set up for "pick a number between 1 and 5."

Regardless, I am surely more closely related to Sarah Silverman and her family than just the generic Ashkenazi 30th cousin. Or does everyone feel that way when watching her?

• Love 4
On 3/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, ahisma said:

Same! Especially his outraged, “Scollins!!!”

Not only did Seth completely indulge me the very next week, they just posted a compilation on YouTube. I am freaking loving the pandemic version of the show.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ahisma said:

Not only did Seth completely indulge me the very next week, they just posted a compilation on YouTube. I am freaking loving the pandemic version of the show.

Me too.  Looks like he’s off this week 🙁. No Tiny Secret Whispers update, unless they’re on hiatus too 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

No Tiny Secret Whispers update, unless they’re on hiatus too 😄

Goldangit, I don’t have Butternut! I’m relying on Seth to find out whether Lise and Adabell figure out what’s going on with Packer. 

• LOL 2
Just now, ahisma said:

Goldangit, I don’t have Butternut! I’m relying on Seth to find out whether Lise and Adabell figure out what’s going on with Packer. 

I don’t have Butternut either. 😆 I’m counting on Seth having someone from Tiny Secret Whispers as a guest soon.  Maybe they’ll bring a clip with them.  

• Love 2

I loved everything about the John Oliver interview. Riffing about Seth’s accent work, stories about standup days and other old jobs, politely stated but pointed digs at Prince Philip, football league standings... I missed the heck out of Seth and this was a complete delight.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ahisma said:

I loved everything about the John Oliver interview. Riffing about Seth’s accent work, stories about standup days and other old jobs, politely stated but pointed digs at Prince Philip, football league standings... I missed the heck out of Seth and this was a complete delight.

Yes, and Scollins got another shout out. 🤣😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 4/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, opus said:

How come, in the same building, Jimmy Fallon has a (limited) audience, but Seth doesn't? Studio size?

Good question. I was wondering myself, but so far I haven't heard anything. 

From the initial reporting of Fallon going back it seemed to be just a personal preference that between him and The Roots they wanted that vibe. Though budget might also be a consideration, audience management is a thing in and of itself.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I don't know if any of you have been watching CNN's limited series The Story of Late Night - which debuted this past weekend, but both Seth and Amber are amongst the interviewees of the 6-part miniseries. It's been a fascinating watch so far.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Seth was totally on point last night about what to keep post-pandemic:

I agree.  I’ve never been crazy with shaking someone else’s hand.  The first thought I always have afterwards is trying to figure out where and when I’ll be able to wash my hands next.  Plus having to touch someone else’s clammy limp hand.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I agree.  I’ve never been crazy with shaking someone else’s hand.  The first thought I always have afterwards is trying to figure out where and when I’ll be able to wash my hands next.  Plus having to touch someone else’s clammy limp hand.  

"Let's all keep working from home. Not you, Wally, you stay!!" 🤣😂

• LOL 2
On 5/13/2021 at 10:41 PM, Kromm said:

I love that Seth is dunking on Guiliani every night now, even when The Closer Look has nothing to do with Rudy. 

Well, he deserves it!! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Love 7
(edited)

That poor staffer in Secretary Haaland’s office! I wonder what it was she thought was so desperately necessary that she needed to go in during the interview, and if she realized afterwards it was not worth it! 😂

Edited by ahisma
Pronouns
5 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

The world demands more Wally the Cue Card Guy! Can we start a petition for him to host SNL? 

He's gotta be better than Elon Musk. 

• LOL 6