Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Summer League is currently doing their best to promote the new in-season tournament happening this season, but I don't see why the fans or the players are supposed to care. 

I can't speak for the players, but as a fan, I could not care less.  I'll be too busy with the National Football League to worry about just another weekend of hoops. 

BTW, I think the finals of the in-season tourney coincides with Army/Navy Day, and the day closes with the Heisman.  And the semi-finals coincides with Thursday Night Football.

So there isn't a big conflict with College Football, but while the final is on a Saturday, it's still in the mix with the NFL (and I would be anything but surprised if that league moved a game on (that) Saturday night because it can).  If I'm not focused on football, I'll be focused on Christmas and getting ready for everything related to the season.

That being said, while I think it's unnecessary, I don't have a problem with the idea; I'll read about how it played out before a true opinion can be made for it.  I read somewhere that the NBA doing this was a message to the NFL as it related to the latter extending its season to where the regular season is less meaningful.  I'll disagree since adding 4 teams into the NBA postseason makes the regular season more meaningless than an 18-week NFL season

On 7/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, Magog said:

Speaking of that, yesterday I had to see Steph being Steph once again. 

😒

This time, he had to hit a hole-in-one at some not worth a damn Golf Tournament called the American Century Championship. Yay. 😒

The Comeback.com - Steph being Steph hitting a hole-in-one.

🤬

ESPN was very thrilled that their "hero" did that. I should be very fortunate that I didn't taste vomit on my mouth after watching that. 

He couldn't just leave me alone on my NBA - NFL Summer Vacation. 

Ha ha! And then he won! with a brilliant must make putt at the end!

Steph is gonna Steph, ya know! 😸

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
16 hours ago, isalicat said:

Ha ha! And then he won! with a brilliant must make putt at the end!

Steph is gonna Steph, ya know! 😸

Gee, Yay. 😒

I can't wait for the NBA schedule for next season to be out sometime next month & I can't wait to see Adam Silver torment us again on Christmas Day by putting the Knicks on there again. Also, if there isn't a Lakers - Nuggets on Christmas Day, then I'm going to be very disappointed. I'll be even more disappointed if the Lakers - Nuggets happens on Christmas Day, but its in LA. Also, I'm certain that he will put those Warriors on Christmas Day so that ESPN can find even more ways to worship their " favorite golden boy."

3 hours ago, Magog said:

Gee, Yay. 😒

I can't wait for the NBA schedule for next season to be out sometime next month & I can't wait to see Adam Silver torment us again on Christmas Day by putting the Knicks on there again. Also, if there isn't a Lakers - Nuggets on Christmas Day, then I'm going to be very disappointed. I'll be even more disappointed if the Lakers - Nuggets happens on Christmas Day, but its in LA. Also, I'm certain that he will put those Warriors on Christmas Day so that ESPN can find even more ways to worship their " favorite golden boy."

Bron-bron doesn't play for the Warriors, though.  He organized a press conference no one asked for about it and everything.

• LOL 5

Geez Louise!
Is it really over $300 million over 5 years?
$60 million/year? 
Is he the incarnation of Larry Bird, Magic, Bill Russel, Michael Jordan...and a few others, all rolled into one? 

It's probably partly a function of the new requirement that NBA teams must be spending at least 90% of the salary cap at the start of preseason. Teams would rather potentially overpay a star than overpay bench players in order to hit that required floor. Plus, Brown's contract will be surpassed by other players' contracts in years to come, making it look less expensive/better value in hindsight.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/27/2023 at 10:19 PM, Black Knight said:

It's probably partly a function of the new requirement that NBA teams must be spending at least 90% of the salary cap at the start of preseason. Teams would rather potentially overpay a star than overpay bench players in order to hit that required floor. Plus, Brown's contract will be surpassed by other players' contracts in years to come, making it look less expensive/better value in hindsight.

Plus the Celtics aren't some middling team, they're a legit contender.  If there's someone better out there who they think will come to Boston then yeah, the contract is stupid.  However, if there isn't then doubling down on their current core isn't the worst thing in the world.  Imagine if he fixes his glaring weakness (the whole not being able to dribble thing).

The 2023-2024 NBA Season will start in 2 months (Oct 24) & it'll start with the Lakers - Nuggets (🙂) & Suns - those Warriors (😒). Yay.

As for the Christmas Day Games:

Bucks - Knicks:  Adam Silver must really love tormenting us on Christmas by once again putting the scummy Knicks on Christmas. Hopefully, the Knicks will suck this upcoming season. 😒

Those Warriors - Nuggets: Gee, I can't wait to see how Steph will ruin my Christmas (😒) with ESPN rooting for him & gushing about him & those Warriors.  Hopefully, the Nuggets will bring me some much needed joy on that day.

Celtics - Lakers: Yay. Instead of putting on a much better game such as Lakers - Nuggets on Christmas, We get another dose of Celtics - Lakers with ESPN/ABC waxing nostalgia about it & finding ways to root for both of them. This time, Doc Rivers will be there commentating the game. Yay. (😒) How very disappointing this is.

76ers - Heat: This might of been interesting a season or two ago. But now, this game is going to be eye-rolling inducing thanks to James Harden & his suckiness. 

Mavericks - Suns:  (😒) This face says it all about how I'm going to feel about this game. Even though I'm forever indebted to Kyrie Irving.

Here is some more information about the upcoming 2023-2024 NBA Schedule.

ESPN - 2023-2024 NBA Schedule information

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

And now Jrue Holiday (from the Damian Lillard trade) is being sent to the Boston Celtics & the Trail Blazers will get Robert Williams, Malcolm Brogdon, a 2024 1st round pick, & an unprotected 2029 1st round pick. 

Hopefully, the Trail Blazers will make another move & find a way to send Deandre Ayton somewhere else (preferably, the Knicks or Wizards) because he kind of sucks & he will most certainly not be happy in Portland. Plus, he is not very likable.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

I know its only warm-up games, but I am so happy the NBA is back tomorrow! In my opinion, baseball has been ruined by the new rules and watching the NFL is watching people get concussions on purpose in a very dull sport, so other than the English Premier League (which is difficult for me to watch live because of the time difference from England to California), the NBA is my go-to action fix!

With that said: WAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIOORRRRRRRS!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Are there any Raptors fans here? My uncle wants to go to a game this season and has asked me to pick a couple of games. 

I haven't followed since 2019, so I don't know what's a good match up anymore. (Actually the one and only game I ever went to was one of the finals in 2019- sadly the one they lost before going to SF and winning).

Anyway any suggestions welcome, we prefer a weekend game. Otherwise I'll just go for what Cavaliers? Celtics or Bucks maybe?

Ok thx, would like to see the Spurs, will have to check the schedule.

Maybe I should get back into basketball. The Raptors can't be as soul crushing as the Jays and the Leafs lol. 

For no apparent reason, I did a Wikipedia search with the keyword DURANT.

Man, it could be labeled as a lack of respect, but Kevin is not there among the top results.

I guess under the radar might be the way to go in 2023-2024.  Right now in the West, I'll stick with Denver and maybe even LA before or after the GSW.  HM for San Antonio.  Right now, I think the West winner wins out unless Boston comes out of the East.  Still not ready to crown Milwaukee

They're playing in Feb on a Monday night.....not ideal, but it's a possibility. Yeah I would like to see them, so thx for the suggestion. I haven't checked Bucks or Celtics yet. 

We may go to a couple, so I would like to find something earlier in the season as well. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Edited by cleo

Tonight is the first night of the new NBA Season (23-24). First game will be Lakers - Nuggets with the Nuggets getting their rings. Hopefully, the Nuggets will rub it in their faces again tonight & throughout the season. 

The 2nd game will be Suns - those Warriors. 😒 I'll be rooting for neither since I find both of them very irritating & very loathsome. It'll also be excruciating to watch because Draymond isn't playing tonight because of an ankle sprain. The only good thing about that game is ESPN isn't broadcasting it so there won't be a lot of hero-worshipping & bootlicking of their man Steph & those Warriors.

As for LeBron, he'll probably be the first NBA Player to reach 40,000 points during the season. It'll be somewhat exciting to see that happen.

As for the Bucks, The Greek Freak just signed an extension for the Bucks for 3 yrs worth $186 Million. Good for him & that should put an end to some people hoping he would go to the Knicks or Lakers in the near future.

In conclusion, here's to a good season & hopefully, we won't see either the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks (year 51 for those losers), or (especially) those Warriors holding that NBA Trophy next June.

• Sad 1
15 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Woohoo! Let's go Dubs! 

Well, the new NBA Season is off to a good start. The Lakers lost last night with Street Clothes scoring 0 points in the 2nd Half. It got even better with those Warriors going down to the Suns 108-104. 

• LOL 2

PHX needs a real point guard. Booker won't survive there all season. Despite losing, there were some positives from the Dubs. The second unit looked excellent. Team won't be clanking 3s all season. That was a winnable game. 

Oh, fuck Barkley who said the Dubs were the 4th best team in California. 🙄

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/25/2023 at 5:26 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Oh, fuck Barkley who said the Dubs were the 4th best team in California. 🙄

I mean, that is technically true right now.  They're the only California team without a win at the moment....

• Like 1
6 hours ago, baldryanr said:

I mean, that is technically true right now.  They're the only California team without a win at the moment....

Lakers caught a break last night as the Suns sat Booker. He had a good game against the Dubs. Dubs go to Sacramento tonight, so they could fall to 0-2. 

Still not the 4th best team in the State. 😀

• Like 2
2 hours ago, baldryanr said:

James Harden, Russell Westbrook, and Kawhi Leonard on one team.  What could possibly go wrong?

A lot. And don't forget Paul George being on that team. Especially when the Playoffs come around. 

I can't wait to see how James Harden will bring his brand of suckiness to the Clippers. 

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

How long until the honeymoon period is over and the Clippers implode? I'm over here with my popcorn. 🍿

12-18 mos at most seems to be the average for him anymore.

Hopefully for the Sixers this is a addition by subtraction type of deal. Not having Harden may have give guys like Tyrese Maxey more of a chance to shine. 

• Like 1

What's the over/under (games) that Lue survives?  

They're not off to a bad start, but there isn't enough popcorn & booze to enjoy what's next.

It's not happening, but I think I'd totally love for Durant to somehow get traded to that team due to Phoenix needing to go into a different direction.  I'd pay attention since I've watched a lot of chaos throughout my life

11 hours ago, twoods said:

Why in the world would any team want to deal with Harden and the shitfest that comes with him? The Clips could be good if healthy. 

James Harden wouldn't of been much of a help for them last night losing to the Lakers in Overtime 130-125.

As for the Lakers, that was a nice win for them & LeBron led them to victory once again with 35 points, 12 rebounds, & 7 assists in 42 minutes. Its still a surprise to nobody that the LeBron is still the leader of the Lakers & their titles hopes are in his hands. They can try to make Street Clothes be the leader of the Lakers all they want (Good luck with that). LeBron is still the leader of the Lakers till he's done playing for them.

BTW, those rotten Warriors beat the Kings again. Yay 😒

First, it was Steph being Steph in the first game last week. 🤮

Then last night, Klay Thompson hit the game-winner. 🤬

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

So I just read that Harden said he was "on a leash" in Philly. I don't know, but it seems like Harden wants to do whatever the fuck he wants with no regard for his teammates. 

I don't expect the honeymoon to last long. Maybe Christmas. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

Tonight is the start of the NBA In-Season Tournament. Yay. 😒

Is there even a good reason why I need to give a remote of a damn about this? Its means absolutely nothing. At least the Play-In Tournament meant something. The In-Season Tournament is downright lame and a waste of time & money on so many levels. Even the NBA Offseason Summer League means more than this In-Season Tournament.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Magog said:

Tonight is the start of the NBA In-Season Tournament. Yay. 😒

Is there even a good reason why I need to give a remote of a damn about this? Its means absolutely nothing. At least the Play-In Tournament meant something. The In-Season Tournament is downright lame and a waste of time & money on so many levels. Even the NBA Offseason Summer League means more than this In-Season Tournament.

It's embarrassing how much the league is hyping up this tournament. Who cares if you won the In-Season NBA Cup if you wind up seventh seed at the end if the season? 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1